Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2022, 03:06 PM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

NFL backs blockchain-backed NFL GM style game

The first officially licensed NFL blockchain game is NFT Rivals - The Verge

Sorry if this isn't news... it's the first I have heard about it.

Is this the next step for those of us who are feeling a little homeless in gaming?

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Interesting. But I'll wait for some actual details about gameplay.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:38 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

f0r+uN3 f4v0rS tH3 BrAv3
Old 05-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Maybe this will make me a big luddite weirdo outlier in five years, but I have less than zero interest in owning an NFT of Alvin Kamara's left foot or whatever the heck they will be asking me to spend real actual money on.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #5
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Maybe this will make me a big luddite weirdo outlier in five years, but I have less than zero interest in owning an NFT of Alvin Kamara's left foot or whatever the heck they will be asking me to spend real actual money on.

NFTs are modern magic beans - that probably makes me a Luddite too!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:46 PM   #6
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

One of these days, you'll go to a rock concert, and everyone will have their cell phones out, bidding on the NFT of the bass player's pick or the drummer's sticks.

Or not.

For some reason, so many managers at video game companies have dropped everything to get on board the NFT train. The VC people seem enthused.

Maybe there's something there. I sure don't see it. But, for the second time in about a week, I'll say that there's good reason I'll never become wealthy.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:49 PM   #7
Atocep
Coordinator

I understand NFTs and I still don't understand the hype.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #8
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It looks like Perfect Team with NFT's. Some people are going to make some money off it, some people are going to lose their house.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

To me, this feels like a parallel to collectible card games. I grew up collecting things like cards for no real purpose. Just to have them, to collect, was the reward enough.

CCGs showed up and it was like a light went on. Wait, I collect these cards, and then by having a better collection I get to do something with them? How did nobody think of this before? Game changer.

This feels like it has elements of this. I get the full speculation behind buying based on future demand, even where there's nothing underpinning it.

But if the NFT I'm buying is from a limited edition set of Alvin Kamara cards that, when used on the game, give me some sort of edge comparable to what the real Alvin Kamara gives his real team... then that seems interesting to me.

Not saying I'm going to sell my house on these, but at least I get the notion.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #10
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
To me, this feels like a parallel to collectible card games. I grew up collecting things like cards for no real purpose. Just to have them, to collect, was the reward enough.

CCGs showed up and it was like a light went on. Wait, I collect these cards, and then by having a better collection I get to do something with them? How did nobody think of this before? Game changer.

This feels like it has elements of this. I get the full speculation behind buying based on future demand, even where there's nothing underpinning it.

But if the NFT I'm buying is from a limited edition set of Alvin Kamara cards that, when used on the game, give me some sort of edge comparable to what the real Alvin Kamara gives his real team... then that seems interesting to me.

Not saying I'm going to sell my house on these, but at least I get the notion.

It's really just what PT has been doing. PT has varying rarity of its cards all the way to cards like a 1 of a kind Ozzie Smith card that was part of PT22. There were also 2 Frank Robinson's released, and a several other cards that had very limited quantities. Those examples are from tournaments, most of which had different card requirements for each round.

They've also had limited edition cards that can be found in packs; either 25 or 100 quantities depending on the card.

I guess what it really comes down to for me is this isn't really a new. It's something that's been done, but attaching NFTs to it seems like it's going to attract every person that you don't really want to play multiplayer games with to the game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:34 PM   #11
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quicksand, you strike me as the type to end up on the top of that pyramid. Meanwhile, I am the type that would lose everything I would put into it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-25-2022 at 04:51 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:04 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There are some solid real world use cases for NFTs, for things like property deeds or car titles. Pics of apes are not a solid use case.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
some people are going to lose their house.

If they're that much of a Darwin Award nominee, the outcome is deserved afaic.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
f0r+uN3 f4v0rS tH3 BrAv3

+++
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:45 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

so, this is REALY PROMISING guys...

I signed up for an account on the discord for this thing... they have a ton of dopes there, no shock

I posted several times about what i was looking for, mostly got drowned out by nonsense but it did "level me up" whatever that means

Today I got a solicitation there from another site, saying I have been selected to win 11,500$ (sic) in BTC, just need to go create my account on some other site and it's all mine.

AWESOME, let me just go find and enter in all my bank and credit card information on some random tech-sounding website, this is gonna be great