Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #251
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post
Year 4: Built herbalist, 3 stone houses

Is there a need for an early Herbalist? I think I haven't been building one until year 10-15 and health seems to remain 4 1/2*. I had been playing on medium and only recently switched to hard though, so maybe I'm taking a risk?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #252
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I usually build one early, on the theory that I'm covered in case of illness, and usually they end up cranking out herbs to the max and then becoming a functional laborer anyway.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #253
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I usually build one early, on the theory that I'm covered in case of illness, and usually they end up cranking out herbs to the max and then becoming a functional laborer anyway.

Plus it's easy to build a stockpile of herbs early and then use them to trade for other goods.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #254
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Thank you Blackie, your opinions have and still carries a lot of weight to me. I still owe you for getting me obsessed with Skyrim.

Thank you.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #255
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Is there a need for an early Herbalist? I think I haven't been building one until year 10-15 and health seems to remain 4 1/2*. I had been playing on medium and only recently switched to hard though, so maybe I'm taking a risk?

My health dropped to 3 pretty quickly so I was trying to stop it from plummeting further.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #256
chinaski
College Prospect

Herbalist is great for rounding out the health meter, but what matters most of all is food diversity, ie more than 2 crops and bringing in MEAT. Gatherers bring in a ton of food, but the banished hate eating it. From what I can tell, theyre not entirely fond of fish either.

edit: and one worker/herb shack is more than enough until at least 200 population.

Last edited by chinaski : 02-26-2014 at 01:52 PM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #257
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just had my blacksmith die from being burned in the forge. I wonder can people randomly die in all professions? So far I've seen this and stonecutter.

Builder fell off a ladder and died.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #258
chinaski
College Prospect

Ive seen murder and suicide too. Dark days.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #259
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Herbalist is great for rounding out the health meter, but what matters most of all is food diversity, ie more than 2 crops and bringing in MEAT. Gatherers bring in a ton of food, but the banished hate eating it. From what I can tell, theyre not entirely fond of fish either.

So true. I had a pasture full of sheep and was churning out mutton until a virus struck and killed them all.

It just hit me that a way to combat that could be to split livestock into smaller groups.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #260
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I find it interesting that the villagers will change jobs frequently - other than situations where they will take a job closer to their house, I'm not sure why that is.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #261
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
I have been building a schoolhouse early on - I didn't see it in those progressions, but it seems to me the earlier you build it the more you'll get a jump on having educated people - plus it's cheap to build and just needs one teacher.

That's what I've been going with too. A schoolhouse isnt much use to start with, keeps children from being productive for a few more years and ties up one valuable adult citizen, but without out it you're just setting up trouble a few years down the line when you have a gang of uneducated citizens producing at half-speed.

In my town I've just accidentally brought in 17 nomads in late summer, they're all wandering around homeless with too little time to build houses before winter. Waiting to see what affect frozen nomads lying in the street will have on happiness of the rest.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #262
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I find it interesting that the villagers will change jobs frequently - other than situations where they will take a job closer to their house, I'm not sure why that is.

I think that if they have nothing to do for their assigned jobs, they revert to general laborers until there is something to do again for their job.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #263
Groundhog
Coordinator

Eeek that moment when you get all excited at your first nomads, bring them in, house them, then have 11 people die of starvation one winter later.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #264
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I think that if they have nothing to do for their assigned jobs, they revert to general laborers until there is something to do again for their job.

That is true, but what I mean is that they will just switch jobs a lot if you keep the house window open I've seen them change jobs twice in like 15 minutes. Forester to Gatherer to Stonecutter, etc.

Last edited by Peregrine : 02-26-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #265
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
The trading is the most frustration for me.

First off, the boats come way too infrequent , maybe because I don't want to tie up 4 ppl to move goods around? Usually just one can keep up with the amount of boats.

Then, half the time they have the same crap I do, or like 66 pieces of a fruit I don't have yet.

Ultimately, when the mothership I want arrives. The trader is wearing a black mask and trying to fleece me for 600 per animal which is fine and good. However, the bastard wont take ANY of my produce and will only deal in tools. At his extortion, ahem, exchange rate of like 150 tools for 2 animals I have to hope will reproduce. Dismissed!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #266
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think the infrequent boats is used to represent how isolated you are. It's not a major port on the Atlantic Ocean
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #267
chesapeake
College Starter

Abe, did you really say that your village in the mountains ran out of stone? Am I the only one that finds that funny?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #268
Peregrine
Pro Starter

To be honest I view the trading post as basically a gamble - set it up with one guy and hope a trader comes by with livestock or seeds I need. The stuff is expensive but a lot of firewood will pay for much.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #269
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That is true, but what I mean is that they will just switch jobs a lot if you keep the house window open I've seen them change jobs twice in like 15 minutes. Forester to Gatherer to Stonecutter, etc.

house window?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #270
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I mean when you click on a house and it will show you who lives there and their profession - if you wait a bit you can see their profession change.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:30 PM   #271
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I mean when you click on a house and it will show you who lives there and their profession - if you wait a bit you can see their profession change.

aha
Old 02-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #272
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That was funny, you made it sound like they would escape the house through the window to switch jobs.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #273
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Abe, did you really say that your village in the mountains ran out of stone? Am I the only one that finds that funny?

Correct!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #274
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post

First off, the boats come way too infrequent , maybe because I don't want to tie up 4 ppl to move goods around? Usually just one can keep up with the amount of boats.

Then, half the time they have the same crap I do, or like 66 pieces of a fruit I don't have yet.

Ultimately, when the mothership I want arrives. The trader is wearing a black mask and trying to fleece me for 600 per animal which is fine and good. However, the bastard wont take ANY of my produce and will only deal in tools. At his extortion, ahem, exchange rate of like 150 tools for 2 animals I have to hope will reproduce. Dismissed!

Nothing effects the frequency of the boats coming. You can have your port turned off and unstaffed and they still arrive at the same schedule. I find it best to build a second port if you are wanting frequent visits.

Setup a grocery list. Soon as I get a resource boat, I select Iron and Stone too delivered every visit. In later years, they bring a ton of goods as well. The grocery list is very important, just dont forget to select 'every time' (or one time if preferred) from the drop down.

Then, there are three types of boats. all of them will trade for firewood, and then the grocer wants tools/fuel and the resource boat (i think) wants general/grocer goods.

I try to keep 4k of firewood stocked in two ports.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #275
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

God quarries are awful.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #276
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And I'm a horrible person. I cannot wait for this 60+ year old widow to die. Hag is taking up one of my precious few stone houses!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #277
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post

You only need 1 chicken because of egg-laying (I only could afford one chicken) though I imagine other animals yeah you would need 2.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #278
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Pro tip - adults WILL pop out kids in the boarding house, unlike adults living with their elderly parents.

Apparently some crazy orgies go on in those communes.

These Banished folks are strange. They're too shy to procreate under their parents's roof, but they have no compunctions about doing it in front of half the town, their parents included, in a communal home.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-26-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #279
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
And I'm a horrible person. I cannot wait for this 60+ year old widow to die. Hag is taking up one of my precious few stone houses!

Haha. I built a stone house and a 65 year old moved in. I was pissed.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #280
Groundhog
Coordinator

D'oh. Turns out 2 cows will not always lead to an ever-growing inbred herd. Sometimes they die.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #281
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Pro tip - adults WILL pop out kids in the boarding house, unlike adults living with their elderly parents.

Apparently some crazy orgies go on in those communes.

I have 4 "just had a baby" messages at the same time when all my people were living in a boarding house.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #282
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
This could be a great idea for the FOFC forum

All use the same seed and post screens every 2-3 years to show how each other are developing.. call town Fofcville or something so all on the same page... Would be great to see how each different town developed!

Use Mannings stats for the seed, give it a fofc feel.. (completions/yards/td)

Seed : 450547755
Valleys
Medium
Fair
On Medium for all the other settings...

Tried this seed, though I used Hard for the difficulty. Pretty decent looking layout - nice spot on the river for some fishing huts and some immediately promising forester/gatherer locations as well. Might run with the set up to see what I can make out of it.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #283
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
First off, thanks for the firewood tip chinaski. very helpful.

So, Im chugging along today, like year 17, and finally got the trading going to get my 2nd crop. Health for most is at 1/2 and declining so they needed a new staple food. Mid Summer and have 3 fields and one orchard going. half my population is farming and aging. Of my original 6 wooden house start in the beginning, one is occupied by a single 74 year old woman.

With only labor to spare for 2 builders, I kick her out and upgrade it to a stone house. Everyone is in the field when the house 2 doors down catches fire. It burns to the ground and catches another house next to it, than another, then another. Basically all of them except the one I was in the process of tearing down, so it couldn't burn. Oh, and to top it off its now late summer/harvest and my barn catches and burns down too.

I struggle to finish building another house across the river and when 21 homeless people are running around the crop fields, the now 76 year old widow moves in ASAP.

I scramble to build another barn quickly (or lose most of the crops) and get a boarding house up before it goes below 0.

Last edited by B & B : 02-27-2014 at 04:51 PM.
B & B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 PM   #284
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Because my small mountainous maps has such small area space, heading into year 41, instead of the typical firewood economy, I have a heavy coal based economy. I have two mines, with 40 miners, in a town of 81/20/18, making a bunch of coal, and selling it (for more than firewood, btw).

Old 02-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #285
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

yay - just officially got the Mountain Men achievement, after three tries at a Himalaya like start,

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #286
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Going strong in year 14. Pop 62/11/18, we're starting our second 'village' expansion (I've sort of taken to building a village around a marketplace - that's what I'm defining it as). Stone is still a major problem, and I keep feeling the bottom is gonna drop out on our population. They're doing far too well.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #287
BYU 14
Coordinator

You guys are just taunting me to buy this damn game!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #288
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

BUY IT.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #289
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
You guys are just taunting me to buy this damn game!

I paid 20 dollars and just passed my 36th hour of gaming. Totally worth it.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #290
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The expanding land of Aerigal....as much as I can fit it into one screenshot, at least.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #291
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Does anyone have an idea how the "decay" of farming works? I mean I know after a certain amount of time the yield starts to really bottom out, but is that a specific date or is it sort of random? Had a food crisis last winter when my main field barely produced anything.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #292
MrBug708
Head Coach

I noticed it slightly, but I just changed the crop to rotate it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #293
mrtourette
High School JV

Started a game on hard last night, great fun. The small amount of food you start with just doesn't seem enough so it was a race to get a boarding house and woodcutter up and running before the winter to keep them warm and dry and then get a gathering hut built and functioning to get food in asap.

Unfortunately I was pretty much down to 0 food by the winter so was using food as the gatherers generated it, which is never good. Wasn't able to restrict population growth as even in the communal boarding house they were popping out sprogs. Came to head in year 4 when I went from 19 adults/7 kids down to 7 adults/1 kid between Spring and Autumn due to starvation (nothing sadder than seeing a message saying 'Beven the child has died of starvation'), although that stabilised things and now I'm able to build up my food reserves (up to 1500) and slowly build houses to monitor growth. Running with just one labourer as well which is certainly more frustrting than when I had ten of them running around clearing and building!

Anyway, as my people are now miserable as shit due to all their relatives dying can you build a cemetary to benefit previous deaths? I wasn't planning to have deaths so soon so didn't build one, if I throw one up now will they exume the bodies from whatever shallow graves they dug or finally clear the stinking bodies from the spare room and properly bury them so that I can get the happiness benefit?
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #294
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea how the "decay" of farming works? I mean I know after a certain amount of time the yield starts to really bottom out, but is that a specific date or is it sort of random? Had a food crisis last winter when my main field barely produced anything.

From what I saw on reddit, dimishing returns on farms is a myth that never made it into the final version.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #295
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Cemeteries will only accept new deaths as graves.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #296
mrtourette
High School JV

Damn it! Thanks though.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #297
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. Anyone in my lands who is 60+ has zero happiness.

Everyone younger is still happily going about their mindless tasks like the good little zombies they are meant to be. Churches? Taverns? BAH!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #298
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Taverns are pretty awesome if you have fruit. Ale sells for 8 a pop.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #299
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Unless they can make chestnut ale, I'm screwed.

Besides, you can't coddle your people with things like 'churches' and 'taverns'. Time spent at those places is time they could have spent GETTING ME MORE ROCK.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 02-28-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #300
mrtourette
High School JV

There's a great thread on the subreddit about how these sort of games turn you into a heartless dictator. WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE TAKING A BREAK? GET BACK OVER THERE AND GATHER ME SOME WOOD UNTIL YOU DIE OF ALD AGE!