Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #301
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Gonzaga pulling away. That's my team, baby! (for this tournament)
Old 03-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #302
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Akron and American really had shots to win, if they weren't playing FUCKING ROAD GAMES.

do you realize Portland is about 350 miles from Gonzaga?

Last edited by Lathum : 03-19-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #303
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Well Nova is our first gambling buzzer beater of the tournament. What an exciting ending that I of course ended up on the wrong side of.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #304
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I think that's cutting it juuuust a bit too close. I mean, they couldn't get any shot off until just a few seconds before the buzzer. Plus, with no TO's, that would probably force it to be a Laettner miracle.

Stitt jogged it up the court though... drive to the basket and go for the 70% shot instead of the 20% one.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #305
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Well Nova is our first gambling buzzer beater of the tournament. What an exciting ending that I of course ended up on the wrong side of.

Me too. What a range of emotions. Go from literally giving up the bet and rooting for American to a meaningless uncontested layup costing me.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #306
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Me too. What a range of emotions. Go from literally giving up the bet and rooting for American to a meaningless uncontested layup costing me.

Yeah. I was hoping some back-up nobody would throw up a 3 at the buzzer for Nova to cover.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #307
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Does that commercial where the guy smacks the guy next to him with a cake knife in the calf bother anyone else? I have to change it when I see it, that noise of it hitting the bone makes me cringe everytime.

No. You're just an incredible pussy.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #308
RedKingGold
College Starter

I wish I can redo my bracket and take Nova out of the Final Four. Although I'm a Wildcat homer, they've just become too careless with the ball and shooting jump shots to make any deep run. They'll be lucky to make the Sweet Sixteen as a protected seed.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #309
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Akron and American really had shots to win, if they weren't playing FUCKING ROAD GAMES.

What exactly would you recommend? Especially as Lathum pointed out, Gonzaga is playing 350 miles from their campus in another state. Hasn't a key reward of earning a high seed been that you get seeded in a favorable region?

Everyone loves to point out that UNC gets to play a lot of games in North Carolina, which is entirely true. Of course they usually have to earn a 1 or 2 seed to get that preference, and a hosting site has to exist in the state(of course, there are more available hosting sites in North Carolina for the south region than there are in georgia, virginia, tennessee, south carolina, alabama and mississippi combined. But anyway, Greensboro is 50 miles from Chapel hill and Durham. Should Duke and UNC be sent 850 miles away to Miami instead? What about Charlotte, that's 150 miles away from their campuses.

So is the rule same state? 100 miles? You can only go to the 2nd closest hosting site available to you?

So what's fair?

Last edited by Radii : 03-19-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #310
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I wish I can redo my bracket and take Nova out of the Final Four. Although I'm a Wildcat homer, they've just become too careless with the ball and shooting jump shots to make any deep run. They'll be lucky to make the Sweet Sixteen as a protected seed.

I still think they're fine. They have a home game against VCU/UCLA which they should win. Duke or Texas is very beatable still.

One weird stat from the game. Villanova shot 29 free throws to American's 5. I know some of those FT came at the end of the game, but that's a huge gap.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #311
wade moore
lolzcat

ugh - early fouling by sanders is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 03-19-2009 at 09:09 PM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #312
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
I still think they're fine. They have a home game against VCU/UCLA which they should win. Duke or Texas is very beatable still.

One weird stat from the game. Villanova shot 29 free throws to American's 5. I know some of those FT came at the end of the game, but that's a huge gap.

Two FTs in first half....

10 of the 29 were in the last 1:30.

Nova went to the hole a ton more in the second half and that got them a bunch of free throws, they were in the penalty early.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #313
wade moore
lolzcat

And that's the press i'm talking about.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #314
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wow, Sanders just got really lucky that wasn't his second
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #315
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Di I just hear that right, Sanders had 40 blocked shots in a 3 game CAA tourny?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #316
wade moore
lolzcat

Come on Rodriguez.

Damnit.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #317
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Di I just hear that right, Sanders had 40 blocked shots in a 3 game CAA tourny?

He had an amazing tourney, but he only had 11 blocked shots (7 in the championship game) according to cbs's stats.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #318
wade moore
lolzcat

Ah. I see 39 rebounds - maybe that's what it was?

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #319
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
And that's the press i'm talking about.

yeah, UCLA's press does look good
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #320
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, this is a slow, ugly game. Still, I think it's required watching here in Richmond tonight

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #321
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
yeah, UCLA's press does look good

Er, what press? That's not a press producing the turnovers.

I guess you could call it a Half-Court Press, but it's really just aggressive man D in my opinion.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #322
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Ah. I see 39 rebounds - maybe that's what it was?

I swear I heard him say 40, thats why it caught my attention.

Is he an upperclassman? Maybe in CAA tournaments lifetime
Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #323
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Man, this is a slow, ugly game. Still, I think it's required watching here in Richmond tonight

SI

Definitely .

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #324
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Er, what press? That's not a press producing the turnovers.

I guess you could call it a Half-Court Press, but it's really just aggressive man D in my opinion.

I'm just fucking with you dude.

You're a CAA guy I go to a PAC 10 school...
Old 03-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #325
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I swear I heard him say 40, thats why it caught my attention.

Is he an upperclassman? Maybe in CAA tournaments lifetime

He's a sophomore.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #326
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola: he had 95 total blocks last year and 88 this - i'm not sure what you heard .

He is a blocking machine.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #327
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
What exactly would you recommend? Especially as Lathum pointed out, Gonzaga is playing 350 miles from their campus in another state. Hasn't a key reward of earning a high seed been that you get seeded in a favorable region?

Everyone loves to point out that UNC gets to play a lot of games in North Carolina, which is entirely true. Of course they usually have to earn a 1 or 2 seed to get that preference, and a hosting site has to exist in the state(of course, there are more available hosting sites in North Carolina for the south region than there are in georgia, virginia, tennessee, south carolina, alabama and mississippi combined. But anyway, Greensboro is 50 miles from Chapel hill and Durham. Should Duke and UNC be sent 850 miles away to Miami instead? What about Charlotte, that's 150 miles away from their campuses.

So is the rule same state? 100 miles? You can only go to the 2nd closest hosting site available to you?

So what's fair?

I don't really have a problem with the Gonzaga game. That's a hefty distance and we can't send every team across the country.

The North Carolina thing is getting old, but I know why the NCAA does it. I guess I don't understand why a 3 seed like Villanova gets a home game, or an 8 seed like Ohio State. Siena really gets screwed in that one and I wonder if that would have happened if it was UCLA as the 9 seed.

I liked the old system that was essentially all neutral sites. I think the crowd dynamic is unique and it makes it fair for both sides. Leave the home games for the regular season, the tournament should be who has the better team that day, not who is playing at home.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #328
wade moore
lolzcat

OHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #329
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't really have a problem with the Gonzaga game. That's a hefty distance and we can't send every team across the country.

The North Carolina thing is getting old, but I know why the NCAA does it. I guess I don't understand why a 3 seed like Villanova gets a home game, or an 8 seed like Ohio State. Siena really gets screwed in that one and I wonder if that would have happened if it was UCLA as the 9 seed.

I liked the old system that was essentially all neutral sites. I think the crowd dynamic is unique and it makes it fair for both sides. Leave the home games for the regular season, the tournament should be who has the better team that day, not who is playing at home.

Neutral site games in the first two rounds where there is usually a clear underdog wouldn't be all that neutral at all, because the "neutral" crowd will always cheer for the underdog.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #330
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Wow...Binghamton only down 7. I thought they were done.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #331
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

So far the Ill/WKU game has been bad.... really bad.

There has been one nice block so far and that's about it.

Oh and a three pointer was just made. Sweet. 7-4 almost five minutes in.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #332
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
So far the Ill/WKU game has been bad.... really bad.

There has been one nice block so far and that's about it.

Oh and a three pointer was just made. Sweet. 7-4 almost five minutes in.

Looks like a game at the YMCA to me.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #333
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Looks like a game in the Big 10 to me.

fixed
Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #334
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Neutral site games in the first two rounds where there is usually a clear underdog wouldn't be all that neutral at all, because the "neutral" crowd will always cheer for the underdog.

So let teams play home games is the solution? Come on. Neutral site games are fairly neutral. The crowd doesn't usually turn till an underdog gives the fans good reason to believe their can be an upset. The bigger schools always have the larger contingent at the games and the advantage early.

Neutral sites are neutral. It's fair to both sides. Letting 8 seed Ohio State play a home game is a fuckin joke.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-19-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 PM   #335
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

What neutral sites? You mean when if you were sent to the west region you played on all west sites that were pre-determined? So a team like Gonzaga, the highest seed in the tournament(along with UW) got rewarded and put in the west region, thus putting them at one of the western sites and changing absolutely nothing.

The sites in the east or the south still go to the top teams from those geographic areas. Perhaps the new pod system(and btw I'm not a fan of the new pod system, I liked it the way it was just fine) generates a few more games each year where one team is decidedly closer to home than other teams, but the higher seeds ending up with the games closer to their campuses is nothing new at all.

EDIT: You weren't the one mentioning the gonzaga game, just read that now(though I still like the point for those that were )

Last edited by Radii : 03-19-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #336
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I've got all the games right so far but one, the Butler game. Two games which seem to be about 50/50 between everyone is the obvious two games tonight. I've got WKU and UCLA winning. I originally had Illinois until Frazier was officially out for the game.

So far a couple nice threes for WKU. We'll see if they can keep it up.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-19-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #337
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

How about lets just have empty gyms for tourney games?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #338
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

the Larry Sanders show just took a commercial break

couldn't resist
Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #339
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
How about lets just have empty gyms for tourney games?

Only after we move the World Series to a Neutral Site.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #340
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
the Larry Sanders show just took a commercial break

couldn't resist

I've been wondering how long it would take for someone to do it .

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #341
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Only after we move the World Series to a Neutral Site.

I hear they are building a baseball stadium on the Jersey Shore
Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #342
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Illinois better be carefull, from what I have seen of them they aren't a come from behind team
Old 03-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #343
wade moore
lolzcat

Sweet, a good old V..... C...... U..... song.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #344
wade moore
lolzcat

These 3-pointers are going to be the death of VCU.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #345
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

These three pointers by WKU. Whoa. Backing up to shoot that three when he had a wide open layup.... and draining it to make it an 8 point game, then Illinois misses the wide open layup. Hah. Man.

At least the game is semi exciting now.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #346
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
What neutral sites? You mean when if you were sent to the west region you played on all west sites that were pre-determined? So a team like Gonzaga, the highest seed in the tournament(along with UW) got rewarded and put in the west region, thus putting them at one of the western sites and changing absolutely nothing.

The sites in the east or the south still go to the top teams from those geographic areas. Perhaps the new pod system(and btw I'm not a fan of the new pod system, I liked it the way it was just fine) generates a few more games each year where one team is decidedly closer to home than other teams, but the higher seeds ending up with the games closer to their campuses is nothing new at all.

EDIT: You weren't the one mentioning the gonzaga game, just read that now(though I still like the point for those that were )

The old system was random though. Sometimes a team got a favorable spot but it wasn't predetermined. This system has the committee actively giving home games to certain teams.

The one great thing about the tournament was how completely fair it was. Everyone was treated the same. Now with the selection committee and questionable seeding, it's just added a little too much WWE for my liking.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #347
wade moore
lolzcat

Rodriguez is clearly outmanned in this game. Not good for VCU. Rozelle should be playing more.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #348
wade moore
lolzcat

Time for me to crawl into my hole.

Quote:
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #349
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
The old system was random though. Sometimes a team got a favorable spot but it wasn't predetermined. This system has the committee actively giving home games to certain teams.

*nods*

gotcha. I'm perfectly cool with that. I do prefer the old system, though honestly I think its just more of a symmetry thing than anything. It doesn't feel right having teams in the "west region" playing their first two rounds on the east coast, etc.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #350
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

VCU needs to tighten this up here and get back into the game

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-19-2009 at 09:49 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote