Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2018, 06:57 PM   #551
PilotMan
Head Coach

Which I'd be totally fine with it it were consistent, but it's not, and that's so much worse.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #552
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
At least my Crew has Wade Miley to face off against Kershaw today! (I can't believe I'm not saying that sarcastically)

Umm ...
Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #553
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Tough call to make without another angle, but I think the Red Sox got lucky with that call. It looked like the fans were standing straight up & Mookie's glove was over the line where it shouldn't be fan interference. Didn't think I'd ever say these words, but thanks Joe West!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #554
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ...

OK, make that game six
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #555
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Tough call to make without another angle, but I think the Red Sox got lucky with that call. It looked like the fans were standing straight up & Mookie's glove was over the line where it shouldn't be fan interference. Didn't think I'd ever say these words, but thanks Joe West!

I agree - at least with the "shouldn't have been interference" part. I don't have a dog in the race, so I don't need to thank Joe West
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #556
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it should have been a homer. Ball was over the line and it's fair game for a fan at that point. Worst case would be a double. Can't fathom calling that an out.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:18 AM   #557
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

%u@()*#$%@)$sfdkjl WHAT A CATCH!!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:42 AM   #558
BishopMVP
Coordinator

What an epic game. Wish it didn't end at 1:15am and leave me this amped up, but wow. As great as the Benintendi catch was, Reddick made basically the same play top of the 9th & Mookie's turn & throw in the bottom of the 8th might be better than both!

Had to win that too, because I don't even think the Red Sox have any idea who starts Game 5. Craig Kimbrel got bailed out from being a huge goat again - it's a pretty bad sign when I'm hoping Cora puts David Price into a playoff game!
Old 10-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #559
molson
General Manager

One of the things the side views show better than the view from the back is that Betts wasn't up against the wall when he jumped, there was some space there. So he could have reached back behind him with his arm and still not be on the fan side of the wall. If you look at the space between his body and the wall, and then compare it to the space between his arm and his body, he doesn't look clearly over the wall.

The fan in white is clearly over the wall - he has one hand on the wall, and the other hand is reaching away from him past the wall. He's not the guy that made contact with the glove, but he's useful for reference. It doesn't look like Betts is over the wall here, he could have drifted before or after the photo was taken, but it doesn't look like he clears the wall even in the stop action photos. I don't think you can be 100% sure either way without that one view that the security guy blocked.

The Fan Interference Call Was Probably Good | FanGraphs Baseball

Last edited by molson : 10-18-2018 at 11:41 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #560
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Jeff Sullivan is amazing. While I agree with what he's saying and the way he presents it, I think that the rule should be clarified to indicate that over / above the wall = outside the field of play.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #561
molson
General Manager

It never really occurred to me that if you're in this position as a fan, you can swat away/grab at players who cross that plane. I don't remember a fan actively and intentionally doing that.

Last edited by molson : 10-18-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #562
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It never really occurred to me that if you're in this position as a fan, you can swat away/grab at players who cross that plane. I don't remember a fan actively and intentionally doing that.
Since the famous Jeter diving into the stands at Fenway play occurred I've thought if I were front row I would stand vertical with my hands down protecting myself like I'm in a free kick wall in soccer, right against the wall, if it's an opposing player going for a catch.

I also think it's ludicrous that if a player ends up in the stands the catch counts. Use the wall, lean over & bring it back all you want, but imo it should be like a football catch where if your feet don't come back down in the field of play it's out of bounds.

I also find it a little amusing that the same Zapruder level of analysis probably shows Steve Pearce should've had a 2 run double in Game 4, but it's not a story because the Sox won that game.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #563
PilotMan
Head Coach

Woohoo. Baseball stuff happened yesterday.

Tonight, let's have LA make it a couple.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-19-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #564
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You can't allow fans to have seats on the fence and not expect them to act like fans. This guy was just reaching out from the area around his seat like any normal person would do to catch the ball. Plus, there's a safety element to it, too. Do we really want or expect a fan to just sit back and allow the ball to hit them? Catch it in their stomach so they avoid interference?

There's a common sense element to this that is missing - just like the NFL and its catch rule, it ignores reality. I think the rule should be amended so that the fan has to be clearly reaching into the field of play or intentionally attempting to interfere. Or, remove the first row of seats and put a barrier up that makes it difficult to reach to the fence without some effort - which would then clearly be interference.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #565
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You can't allow fans to have seats on the fence and not expect them to act like fans. This guy was just reaching out from the area around his seat like any normal person would do to catch the ball. Plus, there's a safety element to it, too. Do we really want or expect a fan to just sit back and allow the ball to hit them? Catch it in their stomach so they avoid interference?

Ya, my fellow Red Sox fans at the Red Sox subreddit got mad at me when I suggested that these fans didn't do anything wrong. I think they were very slightly over the wall, as they probably were every time they stood up to go to the bathroom. And if a ball is flying at you there, I think it's OK to extend your elbows. And once you do that, at all, you're over the fence.

I don't think it's some big emergency that needs to be changed though. You get the odd, entertaining, controversial home run/out call. Probably worth the overall fan experience of people getting to sit that close in all these games
Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #566
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I would be in favor of a retroactive rule that declares the Jeter HR to be an out and strips the Yankees of their subsequent 5 WS titles. Other than that, I agree it's no big deal that needs to be fixed immediately, but some common sense would be a start.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:06 PM   #567
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thank you baby jesus for that at bat. I, personally, needed that.

Like Steam?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #568
lungs
Pro Rookie

Good season for my Brewers. Not salty at all about losing last night, the season far exceeded my expectations.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #569
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good season for my Brewers. Not salty at all about losing last night, the season far exceeded my expectations.

One hell of a run!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #570
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
One hell of a run!

It’s easier to stomach when the Cardinals don’t knock us out and spit on us like they usually do!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #571
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It’s easier to stomach when the Cardinals don’t knock us out and spit on us like they usually do!

I actually really enjoyed watching the Brewers this year. Would have loved to have seen them in the World Series. What a refreshing manager you guys have in Craig Counsell.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #572
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I actually really enjoyed watching the Brewers this year. Would have loved to have seen them in the World Series. What a refreshing manager you guys have in Craig Counsell.

I like Counsell a lot. The Brewers took some criticism when they hired him for his lack of experience managing. But he was getting front office experience which he credits for molding his view of how to manage. I used to think that a manager's job was to not screw things up but with Counsell I see how a manager can have a positive impact through his actions instead of doing what everybody else does.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #573
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers trotting out an all right handed lineup tonight
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:45 PM   #574
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hasn't been a perfect strike zone, but it's been quite consistent.

Like Steam?

Old 10-24-2018, 10:27 PM   #575
MrBug708
Head Coach

Well one team scored 2 runs with the bases loaded and nobody out, and the other scored 3 runs with the bases loaded and 2 outs.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:11 PM   #576
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like Counsell a lot. The Brewers took some criticism when they hired him for his lack of experience managing. But he was getting front office experience which he credits for molding his view of how to manage. I used to think that a manager's job was to not screw things up but with Counsell I see how a manager can have a positive impact through his actions instead of doing what everybody else does.

I love his way of thinking.. it's a huge factor why they had as much success as they did. He's the complete opposite of Matheny.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:35 AM   #577
MrBug708
Head Coach

18 innings later..
Old 10-27-2018, 02:51 AM   #578
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That was ... nuts.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #579
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm wondering if any team has played and won two 13+ inning games in the same postseason before.

But after that game I lack the stamina to dive through postseason box scores to find the answer.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:38 AM   #580
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm wondering if any team has played and won two 13+ inning games in the same postseason before.

But after that game I lack the stamina to dive through postseason box scores to find the answer.

I found KC with a 14 and an 11 before giving up in the late 90s somewhere
Old 10-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #581
lungs
Pro Rookie

I think I made it to the 16th before my eyes couldn’t stay open anymore.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #582
molson
General Manager

On DVR, DISH allotted 3 hours, and I added the max 90 minutes to the end of that. Then I recorded an episode of 2 and a half men that was scheduled for later, and added the max 90 minutes to the end of that. So a total of 6.5 hours. Not enough. Glad I was able to fast forward through commercials at least.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #583
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fuck baseball.

Like Steam?

Old 10-27-2018, 11:44 PM   #584
MrBug708
Head Coach

Garbage
Old 10-27-2018, 11:47 PM   #585
molson
General Manager

Counterpoint - go Sox...
Old 10-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #586
Drake
assmaster

Every time I think I've gotten over being a pre-2004 Sox fan, I get reminded by games like last night's that the pessimist is still in there. By the 7th inning of last night, I was ready to concede that game and go into "it's okay, we'll get them tomorrow" mode -- which is an improvement over "OMG, it's all about to go horribly wrong AGAIN" (pre-2004 mode) -- but then the team proves me wrong and does something awesome.

I'm pretty happy that it was Pearce and Moreland that turned this game around. Moreland has sort of been the odd man out/forgotten guy since JD arrived, though he's quietly accepted his role and just kept contributing. Pearce is just that journeyman gamer that I want to see do well. (Saw an article the other day about how he's now played for every team in the AL East, but he's been a Sox fan since childhood, so getting traded to Boston was a lifelong dream. So a game like last night's just hits me right in the feels.)

ETA: I'm really sort of glad that we didn't end up playing Milwaukee. When you've got the biggest payroll in baseball, out-talenting a small market club just feels cheesy with the embarrassment of riches we've had in the last 15 years. (I still have mixed feelings about the 2007 WS win over Colorado.) But I don't mind it so much against LA, since they're not exactly pinching pennies, either. The only bummer for me in this series is that Kershaw is my favorite non-Sox MLBer, and I'd really like to see him get a ring, so I feel bad rooting against him.

Last edited by Drake : 10-28-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:13 PM   #587
PilotMan
Head Coach

I eat all the bad foods because they taste better than the bitterness of defeat.

Like Steam?

Old 10-29-2018, 03:04 PM   #588
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #589
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Way to burn yourself too?

It'll be interesting to see where this Red Sox team gets placed historically. The pitching seemed shaky enough (outside Eovaldi!) it doesn't feel like it should be in the best ever conversation, but that lineup (+ bench bats) was absolutely absurd, and 108 wins + 11-3 vs two 100+ win teams and a good Dodgers squad speaks for itself.

Speaking of Eovaldi I really hope the Sox let some other team give tons of $$$ to Kimbrel and give all that money to him instead.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:01 PM   #590
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Meh. Another season in the books. This World Series was dominating and I only watched parts of two games, and I hate juggernauts, but hard to hate good organizational management and deft spending paying off. Also, Jays could've kept Price and didn't, so it serves Rogers and Co right.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:34 AM   #591
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I was raised in a Dodgers household and my brother is still a diehard, although I of course left to follow the Angels a long time ago. I still profess to be a Dodgers fan outside of the Angels.

That said, as a manager at a business heavily impacted by Dodgers fans watching their team in the World Series... I can't stand many, if not most, Dodgers fans that come into my business. They suck. They stay all game, spending as little money as possible, and complaining about every little thing they can.

So, go Sox. Glad they won. As for the Doyer fans, I suppose it doesn't matter. They'll just put away their Dodgers jerseys until spring, and in the mean time, they will wear their Raiders jersey or their Lakers jersey.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-30-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #592
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone seriously know the justification for Corey Dickerson winning a gold glove?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #593
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh, nvmd, they do it by actual OF position now.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #594
MrBug708
Head Coach

Whats the bigger finalist snub, deGrom not being an MVP finalist or Martinez not being one?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #595
Atocep
Coordinator

DeGrom takes the Cy Young in a landslide despite only having 10 wins and Trout becomes the all time leader in top 4 MVP finishes at age 27 (passing DiMaggio, A-Rod, and Frank Thomas).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #596
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno, maybe you see if Paxton can throw more than 160 innings before you trade anything of value for him?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #597
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Baseball just got a lot less fun to watch. Adrian Beltre is retiring after 21 years.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #598
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I dunno, maybe you see if Paxton can throw more than 160 innings before you trade anything of value for him?

I've very much enjoyed my NYY fan friends now suddenly being convinced that Sheffield is destined for mediocrity.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #599
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I've very much enjoyed my NYY fan friends now suddenly being convinced that Sheffield is destined for mediocrity.

I'd argue there's a good chance he's nearly as solid as Paxton this year
Old 11-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #600
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Article gets a little geeky in places but if you have the patience for long stories that use a lot of numbers there's some interesting stuff about the way the human brain processes things.

'I won't throw it there again' -- MLB's most wicked comebackers of 2018