Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #101
Rawhide
High School Varsity

The final composition of the Arcardian Rugby League Alliance (ARLA) was announced on live television by David Hamilton Smith, acting as a spokesman for the ten owners:

Saltern Bulldogs
Calhournbar Crushers
Colart Colts
Jasperstown Jets
Thompson Tigers
Elderslie Devils
Hamilton Farmers
Kierea Cannons
Roechester Eagles
Charlotteville Saints

Courdeaux, Stockland and University refused offers from other clubs to merge, preferring to go it alone. They were shocked when their applications were knocked back on the grounds of unsuitability. "If they thought we were unsuitable, they shouldn't have allowed us in the competition in the first place," growled Garcon Courdouy, whose Courdeaux side won promotion to the old Premier Division in 2011, only to have their dream denied by the "pen pushers of the ARLA aristrocity"

All three teams applied to the Arcardian High Court to appeal the decision, but were dismissed after it was ruled that by sumitting a bid in the first place, team owners knew the risk that they may not actually be accepted into the new competition.

The Palmerston Eagles and Roechester Rockets combined to apply for a licence in the ARLA, reasoning that neither of them stood a chance standing alone. Charlotteville and St Patricks decided along the same lines of reason, and ended up being accepted as the tenth and final member of the ARLA competition.

The ten owners elevated Jake Walsh to the position of commissioner for a five-year term. Walsh's previous involvement in the former ARL was as the coach of the Thompson Tigers between 1998 and 2007.
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #102
Rawhide
High School Varsity

So, after a season where the footballs fell quite and the McCartney Cup gathered dust quietly in the Bulldogs' board room, March 2013 heralded the start of a brand new competition, the ARLA, with ten teams fighting for the 30th McCartney Cup.

There were some new faces, and old faces in different places, in a shake-up necessitated by the change in competition structure.

David Shea found himself without a team when the Whalers folded just a season after playing in the McCartney Cup final, but soon signed with the new Roechester Eagles. Angus Ryan came out of retirement to head up the Crushers, who had not retained Peter Klein in the coaches' chair. Klein did have two McCartney Cup wins to point to but would go through 2013 without coaching a side.

The Charlotteville Saints had two promising young coaches at their disposal when St Pats merged with the Spiders. In the end, it was the Shamrocks' Sam Sullivan who was confirmed as the Saints' inaugural head coach; the other candidate, Hamish Landsdowne, was snapped up by the Colart Colts who were preparing to compete for the McCartney Cup for the first time since 2008.

The Elderslie Devils rehired Mick Porter on a season-by-season contract (rather than the usual four season contract). Porter had previously captained and coached the Devils in the old ARL.

The Hamilton Farmers' coach David H. Smith stood down after he was hired by Commissioner Jake Walsh to assist him with running the ARLA competition. Hamilton hired a young (29-year old) relatively unknown coach Luke Allan to coach the Farmers. Allan had previously played two games in the old second division for Colart. His appointment came completely out of the blue and gave rise to speculation that Allan was really Smith's proxy at Hamilton.

The Jasperstown Jets, perhaps the most fortunate of all of the ten ARLA teams just on the basis of recent results, revealed 2011 assistant coach Jim Proud as their new coach, replacing Michael Smart whose third stint at J-Town ended in disaster with the Jets relegated at the end of 2011. Yet they fight on in the ARLA...

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------------ x - Thompson Tigers 13-5 Bill Dawson x - Calhournbar Crushers 13-5 Angus Ryan x - Charlotteville Saints 12-6 Sam Sullivan x - Jasperstown Jets 11-7 Jim Proud Saltern Bulldogs 11-7 Patrick Grace Colart Colts 9-9 Hamish Landsdowne Kierea Cannons 7-11 Steve Parker Roechester Eagles 7-11 David Shea Hamilton Farmers 4-14 Luke Allan Elderslie Devils 3-15 Mick Porter

Semi Finals
Calhournbar d. Thompson
Jasperstown d. Charlotteville
Preliminary Final
Thompson d. Jasperstown

McCartney Cup XXX
Calhournbar Crushers d. Thompson Tigers
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.

Last edited by Rawhide : 10-17-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #103
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2014

Three coaches found themselves in the unemployment line at the conclusion of the 2014 season; Patrick Grace, just two seasons removed from a McCartney Cup win, was given his marching orders despite narrowly missing the finals with the Bulldogs in 2014. His replacement is Oliver Crane. Over at Elderslie, Mick Porter was shown the door after a dismal 3-15 season. Ryan Tucker was given his first coaching appointment. Foundation Kierea Cannons coach Steve Parker resigned after an indifferent 7-11 season where the Cannons were rarely in the running. Harry Wilkins is the new man in charge.

Two of the past three McCartney Cup winning coaches - Peter Klein and Patrick Grace - are currently unemployed, and odds-on to be recruited in the near future.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------------ x - Thompson Tigers 14-4 Bill Dawson x - Charlotteville Saints 12-6 Sam Sullivan x - Jasperstown Jets 12-6 Jim Proud x - Calhournbar Crushers 12-6 Angus Ryan Colart Colts 10-8 Hamish Landsdowne Saltern Bulldogs 9-9 Oliver Crane Roechester Eagles 8-10 David Shea Kierea Cannons 7-11 Harry Wilkinson Elderslie Devils 4-14 Ryan Tucker Hamilton Farmers 2-16 Luke Allan

Semi Finals
Charlotteville d. Thompson
Calhournbar d. Jasperstown
Preliminary Final
Thompson d. Calhournbar

McCartney Cup XXXI
Thompson Tigers d. Charlotteville Saints

The Tigers win their second McCartney Cup!
The Saints just fail to become the quickest 'new' team to win a championship.

Last edited by Rawhide : 10-17-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #104
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2015

Nobody was surprised when Luke Allan was shown the door at Hamilton - his 6-30 record in two seasons did not compare well with the other coaches to have graced the Farmers hallways - and that's saying something! Not even the highly-credentialed Peter Klein or Patrick Grace would saddle up with the Potato Heads...eventually they cajolled former Kierea coach Steve Parker into the role, and even then he nearly didn't survive the season.

Angus Ryan retired once again from coaching after two seasons with the Crushers. He has now coached for a total of thirteen seasons (9 with Calhournbar for 2 McCartney Cups; 4 seasons with the Devils). Former Crushers forward Charlie Bartlet becomes just the sixth coach in franchise history.

The competition this year was characterised by two very good sides, and three awful teams.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------------ x - Thompson Tigers 16-2 Bill Dawson x - Colart Colts 15-3 Hamish Landsdowne x - Kierea Cannons 11-7 Harry Wilkinson x - Saltern Bulldogs 11-7 Oliver Crane Charlotteville Saints 11-7 Sam Sullivan Calhournbar Crushers 10-8 Charlie Bartlet Jasperstown Jets 9-9 Jim Proud Hamilton Farmers 3-15 Steve Parker Roechester Eagles 3-15 David Shea (0-10), Chris Moore (3-5) Elderslie Devils 1-17 Ryan Tucker (0-10), Ben Marrs (1-7)

Semi Finals
Thompson d. Colart
Kierea d. Saltern
Preliminary Final
Colart d. Kierea

McCartney Cup XXXII
Thompson Tigers d. Colart Colts

The Tigers put the seal on a great season and go back-to-back. There is speculation that Bill Dawson will step aside shortly after his third McCartney Cup success.
The Colts fall short in their first McCartney Cup game in eighteen seasons. They haven't won one since 1995.
Sam Sullivan is under considerable pressure at Charlotteville following their failure to qualify for the finals with arguably the ARLA's second-best squad. Although, all will be forgiven if the Saints can win the big one in 2016.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #105
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2016

Bill Dawson retired two weeks after the Tigers' McCartney Cup triumph, surprising nobody and leaving behind a remarkable record; in only seven seasons, he had won three McCartney Cups, lost another three and never had a losing season - his regular season record was 91-33. Only two other coaches in history had won more McCartney Cups - Kevin Jackson and John Conway.

After lauding his contributions and declaring Dawson the best coach in franchise history, the Thompson Tigers proceeded to look for their next Dawson. They didn't have to turn far, promoting assistant coach Andrew Latham into the biggest boots in the ARLA.

Changes were in the air at two other clubs, but for opposite reasons. Shane Jackson replaced Chris Moore (who replaced David Shea) at Roechester, while Dugald McGrath was handed the task of elevating the Devils off the cellar of the ARLA.

Before the start of the season, the Hamilton Farmers and Elderslie Devils gave official notice to the ARLA that they requried emergency assistance in the form of advance funding in order to complete the 2016 ARLA season. Commissioner Jake Walsh duly complied although he stated that in future insolvent teams may be suspended from the ARLA for an unspecified period of time, or lose competition points in future seasons.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------------ x - Thompson Tigers 15-3 Andrew Latham x - Charlotteville Saints 14-4 Sam Sullivan x - Saltern Bulldogs 13-5 Oliver Crane x - Calhournbar Crushers 9-9 Charlie Bartlet Kierea Cannons 9-9 Harry Wilkinson Jasperstown Jets 9-9 Jim Proud Colart Colts 7-11 Hamish Landsdowne Roechester Eagles 5-13 Shane Jackson Hamilton Farmers 5-13 Steve Parker Elderslie Devils 4-14 Dugald McGrath

Semi Finals
Thompson d. Charlotteville
Calhournbar d. Saltern
Preliminary Final
Charlotteville d. Calhournbar

McCartney Cup XXXIII
Thompson Tigers d. Charlotteville Saints

The Tigers confirm their status as the dominant team of this era, as the following table should indicate. Andrew Latham joins a select club of men to have won a championship in his first season as coach.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #106
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Code:
Year Champions Runners-up -------------------------------------------------- 1983 COLART COLTS Palmerston Eagles 1984 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Palmerston Eagles 1985 ELDERSLIE DEVILS Colart Colts 1986 PALMERSTON EAGLES Calhournbar Crushers 1987 PALMERSTON EAGLES Calhournbar Crushers 1988 COLART COLTS Calhournbar Crushers 1989 SALTERN BULLDOGS Hamilton Farmers 1990 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Saltern Bulldogs 1991 COLART COLTS Calhournbar Crushers 1992 COLART COLTS Jasperstown Jets 1993 COLART COLTS Jasperstown Jets 1994 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Colart Colts 1995 COLART COLTS Jasperstown Jets 1996 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Jasperstown Jets 1997 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Jasperstown Jets 1998 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Colart Colts 1999 STOCKLAND FC Calhournbar Crushers 2000 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Saltern Bulldogs 2001 SALTERN BULLDOGS Elderslie Devils 2002 ELDERSLIE DEVILS Calhournbar Crushers 2003 ELDERSLIE DEVILS Thompson Tigers 2004 SALTERN BULLDOGS Charlotteville Spiders 2005 SALTERN BULLDOGS Calhournbar Crushers 2006 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Stockland FC 2007 SALTERN BULLDOGS Calhournbar Crushers 2008 SALTERN BULLDOGS Thompson Tigers 2009 THOMPSON TIGERS Charlotteville Spiders 2010 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Thompson Tigers 2011 SALTERN BULLDOGS Westlands Whalers 2012 *** Season cancelled *** 2013 CALHOURNBAR CRUSHERS Thompson Tigers 2014 THOMPSON TIGERS Charlotteville Saints 2015 THOMPSON TIGERS Colart Colts 2016 THOMPSON TIGERS Charlotteville Saints

Last edited by Rawhide : 10-17-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #107
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2017

Hamilton and Elderslie both limped into the new season with their front office intact, and their playing roster slightly improved, although still comfortably amongst the worst in recent years. The big movers in the playing market were the Jasperstown Jets - still looking for that first championship - while the Tigers and Saints weakened slightly, yet were still the two red-hot favourites for the 34th McCartney Cup.

There were no coaching changes in the off-season, although Hamish Landsdowne could count himself lucky to survive after the Colts lost eleven of their first twelve games.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------------ x - Thompson Tigers 16-2 Andrew Latham x - Charlotteville Saints 14-4 Sam Sullivan x - Jasperstown Jets 13-5 Jim Proud x - Saltern Bulldogs 10-8 Oliver Crane Calhournbar Crushers 9-9 Charlie Bartlet Roechester Eagles 9-9 Shane Jackson Kierea Cannons 9-9 Harry Wilkinson Colart Colts 6-12 Hamish Landsdowne Hamilton Farmers 2-16 Steve Parker Elderslie Devils 2-16 Dugald McGrath

Semi Finals
Jasperstown d. Saltern
Preliminary Final

McCartney Cup XXXIV
Jasperstown Jets d. Thompson Tigers

"PROUD OF JIM" was the headline in the Jasperstown Misleader on the morning after the Jets' first McCartney Cup win. 50,000 fans crowded Governor Jasper Square at 3am in the morning to welcome the new champions back to their home city. Head Coach Jim Proud crowd-surfed his way to the stage and delivered a post-game celebration speech consisting of only six words - "Ding dong, the witch is dead!"

The Thompson Tigers failed by the narrowest of margins to become the first team to win four straight McCartney Cup titles. Coach Andrew Latham shrugged and simply said "We'll get them next year".

Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #108
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2018

It seemed it was no longer good enough to simply make the finals - the Saltern Bulldogs exercised a clause in Oliver Crane's contract and put him officially on the hot seat after losing a third consecuitive final. The Bulldogs have now not won a playoff game since the 2011 McCartney Cup - the last game played under the auspices of the old ARL. Also on the hot seat are Hamish Landsdowne (Colart) and Harry Wilkinson (Kierea), and (surprisingly), Sam Sullivan from Charlotteville, following the Saints' dismal exit the season before..

The Steve Parker era wheezed to an end at Hamilton, with a dismal 10-44 record in three seasons. Dugald McGrath also found his time up at Elderslie, with the Devils finishing last for the third season in a row. What would Marcel Courdouy think?

Hamilton unveiled Peter Klein as their new head coach, with the former Binghampton and Calhournbar mentor getting his toes back in the coaching pond. The Devils opted for another rookie coach, giving Alec Frost his first gig.

The 35th season of the ARL/ARLA was historically the closest on record, at least in the race for the top four positions. The Saints made history with the best regular season record in recent years, whilst the mighty Thompson Tigers fail to make the top four.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------------ x - Charlotteville Saints 17-1 Sam Sullivan x - Jasperstown Jets 11-7 Jim Proud x - Roechester Eagles 10-8 Shane Jackson x - Saltern Bulldogs 10-8 Oliver Crane Kierea Cannons 10-8 Harry Wilkinson Thompson Tigers 10-8 Andrew Latham Calhournbar Crushers 10-8 Charlie Bartlet Colart Colts 6-12 Hamish Landsdowne (0-4), Alain Dupee (6-8) Hamilton Farmers 3-15 Peter Klein Elderslie Devils 3-15 Alec Frost

Semi Finals
Roechester d. Saltern
Preliminary Final
Charlotteville d. Roechester

McCartney Cup XXXV

The Jets prove that last year was no fluke, beating the one-loss Saints twice in two games to claim their second championship. The Eagles record their best season since their establishment in 2013, and went within a whisker of causing the upset of the season in the preliminary final.

The finals saw the sensational sacking of Oliver Crane after the Bulldogs once again went "one-and-done" in their exit out of the finals. There is constant speculation that despite taking the Saints to the McCartney Cup game once again that Sam Sullivan will be asked to resign, especially after making the comment "I've squeezed all the juice out of these lemons" after the McCartney Cup game.

Watch this space...
Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #109
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2019

Oliver Crane (53-37 in five seasons) from the Bulldogs paid the price for four successive exits from the playoffs, and was replaced by Jasperstown assistant coach James Payne.

Sam Sullivan (80-28 in six seasons, 3-8 in playoffs) resigned as the Saints coach the day after the McCartney Cup loss, slamming club officials for not offering their total support during his six seasons in charge. He will be replaced by Hamish Landsdowne, who previously coached Colart.

Alain Dupee was confirmed as the full-time coach of the Colts after taking over from Hamish Landsdowne early in the 2018 season. The Colts have only made the finals once in the past six seasons.

Harry Wilkinson (46-44 in five seasons) left the Kierea Cannons after a disappointing end to the 2018 season. He will be replaced by Bulldogs assistant coach Rob Cohen.

Coaches on the hot seat in 2019 - Charlie Bartlet (Calhournbar), Peter Klein (Hamilton), Alec Frost (Elderslie), Shane Jackson (Roechester)

Update of Rules
I have tightened the rules for contract rewards in the playoffs - call it the "Sullivan Rule", if you like - coaches finishing in the Top Five (as it will now be) must win a playoff game to have their contract extended by the usual year. If a team loses twice in the playoffs without winning (as it is now possible for teams finishing one to three to do) a year is clipped off the coach's contract. A team that wins 16 or more games in the year must win the McCartney Cup, otherwise a season is clipped off the contract as well. Hence, Sullivan walked the plank after going 17-1 but losing the big one.

At the other end of the scale, a coach is rewarded with another year if he can double his team's winning record from the previous season (even if it's from one win to two wins!). Also, previously the two bottom teams' coaches had a year clipped; now, it will only be the tenth placed side.

The top five rewards teams finishing first to third - they are not instantly eliminated if they lose their first game. Teams four and five must win three elimination matches just to play in the McCartney Cup game. One team nearly pulled it off this year...

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ---------------------------------------------------- x - Charlotteville Saints 14-4 Hamish Landsdowne x - Jasperstown Jets 12-6 Jim Proud x - Saltern Bulldogs 11-7 James Payne x - Kierea Cannons 10-8 Rob Cohen x - Thompson Tigers 9-9 Andrew Latham Calhournbar Crushers 9-9 Charlie Bartlet Colart Colts 8-10 Alain Dupee Roechester Eagles 7-11 Shane Jackson Elderslie Devils 7-11 Alec Frost Hamilton Farmers 3-15 Peter Klein

Semi Finals Week One
Saltern d. Jasperstown
Kierea d. Thompson
Semi Finals Week Two
Saltern d. Charlotteville
Kierea d. Jasperstown
Preliminary Final
Charlotteville d. Kierea

McCartney Cup XXXVI
Saltern d. Charlotteville

Two coaches in their first season with their respective clubs guide their teams to the McCartney Cup, but only one could win - James Payne won more semi-finals this year than the Bulldogs had managed in the previous ten years.

Charlotteville lose their fourth McCartney Cup game in the space of six years, the second worst such streak (Jasperstown somehow lost five in six seasons in the 1990s)
Old 10-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #110
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2020

Alec Frost was the toast of Elderslie after finally lifting the Devils off the foot of the table and increasing their win total from 3 to 7. He had his contract extended until 2021, although he remains on the hotseat if the Devils fall to last place again.

Peter Klein left the Hamilton Farmers after only winning six games in two seasons. His coaching career now appears to be over. His replacement is Charlie Bartlet, who left the Crushers after five seasons and one playoff apperance. His record was 47-43 during that time. Bartlet's replacement at the Crushers is former Colts coach Bill Tanks, who last coached in 2008. He has a two year contract.

Jim Proud had a year clipped off his contract after the Jets crashed and burned out of the finals in 2019. His job remains extremely safe however, with the contract presently due not to expire until 2023.

Shane Jackson is currently on the hotseat, and needed the Eagles to win a playoff game, or win 14 games, to keep his job. Good luck with that!

The off-season moves saw the Bulldogs slip away, while the Farmers and Devils improve a little more. Many pundits were predicting this to be one of the most unpredictable contests in years, and then went ahead anyway and predicted a Jets-Tigers finale.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ---------------------------------------------------- x - Calhournbar Crushers 13-5 Bill Tanks x - Thompson Tigers 11-7 Andrew Latham x - Kierea Cannons 11-7 Rob Cohen x - Saltern Bulldogs 10-8 James Payne x - Colart Colts 10-8 Alain Dupee Charlotteville Saints 9-9 Hamish Landsdowne Jasperstown Jets 8-10 Jim Proud Roechester Eagles 7-11 Shane Jackson Hamilton Farmers 6-12 Charlie Bartlet Elderslie Devils 5-13 Alec Frost

Semi Finals Week One
Kierea d. Thompson
Colart d. Saltern
Semi Finals Week Two
Calhournbar d. Kierea
Colart d. Thompson
Preliminary Final
Colart d. Kierea - become the first team from fifth spot to play in a McCartney Cup game.

McCartney Cup XXXVII
Calhournbar Crushers d. Colart Colts

Bill Tanks wins a McCartney Cup against his old team, as the Crushers break the longest drought in their history (only seven seasons, mind you!). It has now been a quarter of a century since Colart has celebrated a McCartney Cup win, with only three apperances in that time.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #111
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2021

Shane Jackson left the Roechester Eagles and walked straight into the vacant position at Elderslie. The new eagles coach is rookie Mark Maule.

For the first time in many, many seasons, a new team plummeted to the depths of the table - and the defending champions at that!

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ---------------------------------------- x - Colart Colts 14-4 Alain Dupee x - Thompson Tigers 12-6 Andrew Latham x - Saltern Bulldogs 11-7 James Payne x - Roechester Eagles 10-8 Mark Maule x - Kierea Cannons 10-8 Rob Cohen Jasperstown Jets 9-9 Jim Proud Charlotteville Saints 8-10 Hamish Landsdowne Elderslie Devils 7-11 Shane Jackson Calhournbar Crushers 5-13 Bill Tanks Hamilton Farmers 4-14 Charlie Bartlet

Semi Finals Week One
Saltern d. Thompson
Roechester d. Kierea
Semi Finals Week Two
Saltern d. Colart
Thompson d. Roechester
Preliminary Final
Colart d. Thompson

McCartney Cup XXXVIII
Colart d. Saltern

Finally, the Colts' drought is over!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #112
kobe360x
n00b

Great rookie season by Mark Maule
kobe360x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #113
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Yeah, he did quite well - for Roechester, anyway!

ARLA 2022

No coaching changes, although Hamish Landsdowne was docked a year after the Saints "progressed" from 17, to 14, to 9 to 8 wins - all under his watch. Jim Proud's seat is also slightly warming up - he needs to win at least four games or not finish last to survive this season. With the strength of the squad he has, the Jets should definitely finish in the top three - underachievement could see him exit before his contract is up.

The coach under the most pressure heading into this season though was Andrew Latham of the Thompson Tigers, a result of several disappointing playoff results.

In the end, the first coach to exit was not one of the three gentlemen listed above, but James Payne, who stood down after the Bulldogs lost their first seven games of the year and the coach reputedly lost the trust and respect of the players. Bill Tanks also resigned before he could be sacked, overseeing the worst ever season in the Crushers' history. In fact, Calhournbar had gone 6-24 since winning the McCartney Cup two seasons ago.

For the Crushers and Bulldogs, the season was a complete disaster.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach --------------------------------------------- x - Colart Colts 15-3 Alain Dupee x - Jasperstown Jets 14-4 Jim Proud x - Roechester Eagles 13-5 Mark Maule x - Charlotteville Saints 11-7 Hamish Landsdowne x - Thompson Tigers 10-8 Andrew Latham Hamilton Farmers 9-9 Charlie Bartlet Kierea Cannons 9-9 Rob Cohen Elderslie Devils 6-12 Shane Jackson Saltern Bulldogs 2-16 James Payne (0-7), Daly North (2-9) Calhournbar Crushers 1-17 Bill Tanks (1-13), Paul Howard (0-4)

Semi Finals Week One
Roechester d. Jasperstown
Semi Finals Week Two
Roechester d. Colart -
Jasperstown d. Thompson
Preliminary Final
Jasperstown d. Colart

McCartney Cup XXXIX
Jasperstown d. Roechester

The Jets win their third McCartney Cup. Not bad for a coach who was on the hot seat!
The Eagles appear in their first McCartney Cup final (as the Roechester Eagles - Palmerston were last in the decider in 1987).
The Colts crash and burn, with a year clipped off Alain Dupee's contract.
Andrew Latham barely survives at Thompson; had they lost in the finals to Charlotteville, he would have been sacked.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:20 AM   #114
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2023

Three teams made coaching changes for the 2023 season; two teams which really needed a new start, and one which was farewelling its most successful coach.

Saltern pulled the plug on Daly North's aspirations for holding the full-time job when it dismissed him during the off-season. North was warming the seat after James Payne fell on his sword and posted the Bulldogs' only two wins of a shocking 2022, but it wasn't enough. Rookie coach Ben Ryan is charged with the mission of restoring the bite into the Bulldogs.

Over at Calhournbar, Paul Howard had even less time than North to get accustomed to his new surroundings. Rookie coach Kieren Phelps, an assistant coach at the upstart Eagles, gets his first job with one of the ARLA's more iconic clubs.

Jasperstown farewelled Jim Proud, who decided to retire after winning his third McCartney Cup in ten seasons with the Jets. He holds many J-Town records, including most games coached (180), most wins (108), most playoff wins (9), as well as the first three McCartneys for the Jets.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach --------------------------------------------- x - Thompson Tigers 13-5 Andrew Latham x - Kierea Cannons 12-6 Rob Cohen x - Roechester Eagles 12-6 Mark Maule x - Jasperstown Jets 12-6 John Boyle x - Colart Colts 11-7 Alain Dupee Saltern Bulldogs 8-10 Ben Ryan Elderslie Devils 6-12 Shane Jackson Hamilton Farmers 6-12 Charlie Bartlet Charlotteville Saints 6-12 Hamish Landsdowne Calhournbar Crushers 4-14 Kieren Phelps

Semi Finals Week One
Roechester d. Kierea
Colart d. Jasperstown
Semi Finals Week Two
Thompson d. Roechester
Kierea d. Colart
Preliminary Final
Roechester d. Kierea

McCartney Cup XL
Thompson Tigers d. Roechester Eagles

Latham bags his second McCartney to go with the one he won in 2016, and buys some valuable breathing space with the win.
Mark Maule again takes his team to the title decider but couldn't get them over the line. Will next year be the year?
Kierea - always the bridesmaids, never the blushing bride!
Ben Ryan and Kieren Phelps are rewarded for boosting the winning ratio of their respective clubs, with two extra seasons each.

Last edited by Rawhide : 10-19-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #115
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2024

Hamish Landsdowne left the Charlotteville Saints after guiding the team to ninth position in his fifth season. His time at the club had largely been a failure, despite making the McCartney Cup game in his first season. The Saints sprunge somewhat of a surprise by appointing Daly North as his successor. North's experience in the ARLA amounted to 11 games as caretaker coach of the Bulldogs in 2022.

The window of opportunity appeared to shut on the Cannons, with many experienced and skilful players either retiring or signing for other clubs, resulting in a much weaker squad.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ----------------------------------------------- x - Thompson Tigers 13-5 Andrew Latham x - Roechester Eagles 13-5 Mark Maule x - Jasperstown Jets 12-6 John Boyle x - Elderslie Devils 11-7 Shane Jackson x - Charlotteville Saints 10-8 Daly North Hamilton Farmers 9-9 Charlie Bartlet Colart Colts 8-10 Alain Dupee Saltern Bulldogs 7-11 Ben Ryan Kierea Cannons 6-12 Rob Cohen Calhournbar Crushers 1-17 Kieren Phelps

Semi Finals Week One
Elderslie d. Charlotteville
Semi Finals Week Two
Jasperstown d. Thompson
Roechester d. Elderslie
Semi Finals Week Three
Roechester d. Thompson

McCartney Cup XLI

Jasperstown win their fourth title in the space of eight seasons. It is the first title for coach John Boyle.
The Eagles lose their third straight McCartney Cup in a row, while the Crushers spend another season rooted to the bottom of the table.
The Devils make their first playoff apperance since 2008...the team with the longest drought now are the hapless Hamilton Farmers (2011).

Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #116
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2025

Demonstrating that there is no loyalty in professional sports - unless you are winning - the Hamilton Farmers dispensed with Charlie Bartlet despite a 9-9 season (equal with the Farmers' best season since 2011). Barlet lasted five seasons and posted a 34-56 record - which sounds dismal until you realise his three predecessors (Luke Allan, Steve Parker and Peter Klein) went 22-104 before Bartlet's arrival at the Potato Heads. Bartlet leaves as the third longest-serving Farmers coach (90 games, after Paul Ingham's 157 games and David H. Smith's 102 games. But unlike the other two gentlemen, Bartlet's record was in one continuous stretch).

Curiously, Bartlet's replacement is former Devils coach Alec Frost, whose record of 15-39 in three seasons at Fenton Road does not fill Hamilton supporters with much confidence.

Rob Cohen also found his office out of bounds when Kierea gave him his marching orders. The Cannons (3rd in 2023, 9th in 2024) are clearly looking for a new direction, and are searching for only their fourth coach in nineteen seasons. Cohen went 58-50 in six seasons. Kierea found their savour in the Farmers' castoffs, with Charlie Bartlet starting with his third club. He is 81-99 over ten seasons, but has only qualified once for the playoffs. Time will tell whether the Cannons made the right hire.

It turned out to be a remarkable seasons, with three teams from last year's top five dropping out...and an unlikely team made a surge towards a first McCartney Cup game in a long time, only to fall just short.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ----------------------------------------------- x - Roechester Eagles 14-4 Mark Maule x - Charlotteville Saints 13-5 Daly North x - Colart Colts 11-7 Alain Dupee x - Calhournbar Crushers 10-8 Kieren Phelps x - Hamilton Farmers 10-8 Alec Frost Jasperstown Jets 9-9 John Boyle Saltern Bulldogs 8-10 Ben Ryan Thompson Tigers 7-11 Andrew Latham Kierea Cannons 5-13 Charlie Bartlet Elderslie Devils 3-15 Shane Jackson

Semi Finals Week One
Colart d. Charlotteville
Hamilton d. Calhournbar
Semi Finals Week Two
Roechester d. Colart
Hamilton d. Charlotteville
Preliminary Final
Colart d. Hamilton

McCartney Cup XLII
Roechester Eagles d. Colart Colts

At long last, the Eagles win a McCartney! Fourth time lucky!
It is the first cup for the Roechester Eagles proper, and the first McCartney overall for the franchise since Palmerston won in 1987.
The Hamilton Farmers and Calhournbar Crushers dominate the plaudits during the season, with Alec Frost (Alec Frost!) taking the Farmers within a breath of the McCartney Cup, while Kieren Phelps improved the Crushers by nine full games.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #117
kobe360x
n00b

Eagles have actually won! After 3 straight final losses!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #118
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Which is proof, I guess, that consistency eventually breeds success.

Just to fill everybody in on what is going on behind the scenes - over the past ten seasons the "performance points" (what I use to determine who wins in a head-to-head matchup) have fluctuated wildly. It is totally random as to how much points increase or decrease in a given season, except that teams outside the top five have a better chance of a increase, and teams in the top five have a better chance of a decrease. It's my version of parity.

I guess another way to look at this is to track the best and worst rated teams each year and see how they ended up. As the table will attest, the best team hasn't always won the McCartney Cup! (Or even made the Top Five!)

Best Rated Team Each Season (Performance Points in brackets)
2013 - Thompson Tigers (14) - 13-5, runners-up
2014 (tie) - Thompson Tigers (14) - 14-4, champions
2014 (tie) - Charlotteville Saints (14) - 12-6, runners-up
2015 (tie) - Thompson Tigers (20) - 16-2, champions
2015 (tie) - Charlotteville Saints (20) - 11-7, fifth
2016 (tie) - Thompson Tigers (20) - 15-3, champions
2016 (tie) - Charlotteville Saints (20) - 14-4, runners-up
2017 - Thompson Tigers (19) - 16-2, runners-up
2018 - Charlotteville Saints (18) - 17-1, runners-up
2019 - Thompson Tigers (16) - 9-9, fifth
2020 (tie) - Thompson Tigers (15) - 11-7, fourth
2020 (tie) - Jasperstown Jets (15) - 8-10, seventh
2021 - Jasperstown Jets (18) - 9-9, sixth
2022 - Jasperstown Jets (22) - 14-4, champions
2023 - Jasperstown Jets (22) - 12-6, fifth
2024 - Jasperstown Jets (24) - 12-6, champions
2025 - Jasperstown Jets (26) - 9-9, sixth

So, despite the most talented roster historically, the Jets should have won far more than four championships - yet they have missed the finals in three of the past six seasons! Inconsistent or what?

Best Team Rating divided by Worst Team Rating
The lower the more, the more even the comp...perhaps?

2013 - 4.7
2014 - 3.5
2015 - 20.0
2016 - 20.0
2017 - 19.0
2018 - 6.0
2019 - 4.0
2020 - 2.1
2021 - 2.6
2022 - 3.1
2023 - 3.7
2024 - 3.0
2025 - 3.2

Between 2015-17, the weakest team was rated one, meaning that if they lost any more points, the franchise would have been folded. The weakest teams are now rated 8.

Also during 2015-17, the weakest team only had a 5% chance of beating the strongest team, all things being equal. Now, the odds are 31%.

The final table - what were the odds of each of the McCartney Cup champions winnings? What could be considered the biggest upset? This was worked out by dividing the winning team's strength by the strength of both sides. The lower the percentage, the bigger the upset.

2013 - Calhournbar 44%
2014 - Thompson 50%
2015 - Thompson 71%
2016 - Thompson 50%
2017 - Jasperstown 42%
2018 - Jasperstown 45%
2019 - Saltern 46%
2020 - Calhournbar 48%
2021 - Colart 60%
2022 - Jasperstown 56%
2023 - Thompson 47%
2024 - Jasperstown 57%
2025 - Roechester 56%

Historically:

1985 - Elderslie 40%
1986 - Palmerston 42%
1987 - Palmerston 41%
1999 - Stockland 40%
2000 - Calhournbar 42%

Favourites are 4-6 in the McCartney Cup in the ARLA era (with the two 50% results discounted).
Old 10-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #119
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2026

Two coaches found themselves out of a job at the conclusion of the 2025 season.
The Thompson Tigers released Andrew Latham after ten seasons and the longest tenure of any coach at Riverside Park. Latham inherited a red-hot squad from the legendary Bill Dawson and won two McCartney Cups in his time with the Tigers, but a series of disappointing finals results saw patience from management grow shorter and shorter. Latham leaves as the winningest coach in Thompson history, with his 116-64 record 15 games better than Jake Walsh. Latham will be replaced by his assistant coach, and the Tigers' first ever McCartney Cup winning captain, Daniel Forbes.

Shane Jackson was given the flick by the Devils after five seasons, including Elderslie's first playoff apperance in nearly two decades, but a 3-15 season left the writing on the wall. He departed with a 33-57 record, the most successful Devils coach since Mick Porter. Sliding into the Devils' job will be Andrew Latham.

(Results to follow)

Old 10-24-2009, 04:56 AM   #120
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Code:
TEAM Record Coach --------------------------------------------------- x - Jasperstown Jets 14-4 John Boyle x - Charlotteville Saints 12-6 Daly North x - Thompson Tigers 11-7 Daniel Forbes x - Roechester Eagles 9-9 Mark Maule x - Elderslie Devils 9-9 Andrew Latham Kierea Cannons 9-9 Charlie Bartlet Colart Colts 8-10 Alain Dupee Hamilton Farmers 7-11 Alec Frost Saltern Bulldogs 6-12 Ben Ryan Calhournbar Crushers 5-13 Kieren Phelps

Semi Finals Week One
Charlotteville d. Thompson
Roechester d. Elderslie
Semi Finals Week Two
Thompson d. Roechester
Preliminary Final

McCartney Cup XLIII
Jasperstown d. Thompson

The Jets deservedly win another McCartney Cup, their fifth in history.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #121
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2027

Kieren Phelps paid a heavy price for "winning" three wooden spoons in his four seasons at the Crushers, having his contract torn up. He went 20-52 with one playoff apperance. His replacement is a familiar name to the ARLA, with Hamish Landsdowne resuming his coaching career after four seasons "on the outer". Landsdowne is 95-89 with two McCartney Cup apperances in ten seasons of coaching. This is arguably his toughest task yet - to make Calhournbar competitive once more.

Andrew Latham suddenly announced his retirement, after eleven seasons of coaching in the ARLA (ten with the Tigers, and last season with the Devils). His replacement is former Jets assistant coach Thomas Nash.

The ARLA announced in the off-season that the competition structure would change once again, over a period of five seasons:

- Two new clubs would be admitted in 2029 to bring the competition up to twelve,
- Starting in 2027, teams would play an extra number of games against teams which finished in their "half" of the competition the year before (for example, the Top Five teams from 2026 would play each other three times in 2027, and vice versa for the Bottom Five). That would mean a 22-game schedule in 2027, rising to 27 games in 2029.
- The Top Six system would make a return, in 2029.
- To compensate for the increased number of games, the length of each game will be shortened from 80 minutes to 60 minutes.

"We hope that these changes will make the ARLA stronger and more appealing to those supporters of the game," commented commissioner Jake Walsh.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach --------------------------------------------------- x - Jasperstown Jets 15-7 John Boyle x - Saltern Bulldogs 15-7 Ben Ryan x - Roechester Eagles 13-9 Mark Maule x - Colart Colts 11-11 Alain Dupee x - Charlotteville Saints 11-11 Daly North Elderslie Devils 10-12 Thomas Nash Kierea Cannons 10-12 Charlie Bartlet Calhournbar Crushers 10-12 Hamish Landsdowne Thompson Tigers 9-13 Daniel Forbes Hamilton Farmers 6-16 Alec Frost

Semi Finals Week One
Saltern d. Roechester
Colart d. Charlotteville
Semi Finals Week Two
Jasperstown d. Saltern
Roechester d. Colart
Preliminary Final
Saltern d. Roechester

McCartney Cup XLIV
Saltern Bulldogs d. Jasperstown Jets

The Bulldogs pull off one of the biggest upsets ever in McCartney Cup history, defeating a heavily favoured Jets team.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #122
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2028

The Charlotteville Saints were unhappy with Daly North's performance as coach - despite taking the club to the playoffs in every one of his four seasons, his record in the playoffs was a dismal 1-6. Enter the axe, exit the coach. In his place, the Saints recalled former coach Sam Sullivan, who had not coached in the ARLA since getting the sack himself ten years previously.

Charlotteville, Saltern and Colart - all finalists in 2027 - fell away badly in the new season. Saltern became the first champion team to finish last the following season.

A surprise team sat upon the top of the table, having nearly conquered all before them. Would the Kierea Cannons finally win their first McCartney Cup, after twenty-two seasons of effort?

Code:
TEAM Record Coach --------------------------------------------------- x - Kierea Cannons 20-2 Charlie Bartlet x - Jasperstown Jets 15-7 John Boyle x - Roechester Eagles 14-8 Mark Maule x - Hamilton Farmers 13-9 Alec Frost x - Thompson Tigers 12-10 Daniel Forbes Elderslie Devils 10-12 Thomas Nash Calhournbar Crushers 10-12 Hamish Landsdowne Charlotteville Saints 6-16 Sam Sullivan Colart Colts 5-17 Alain Dupee Saltern Bulldogs 5-17 Ben Ryan

Semi Finals Week One
Thompson d. Hamilton
Semi Finals Week Two
Kierea d. Jasperstown
Roechester d. Thompson
Preliminary Final

McCartney Cup XLV
Kierea Cannons d. Jasperstown Jets

Charlie Bartlet wins his very first McCartney Cup as a coach, in his fourteenth season!
The Cannons win their first McCartney Cup in club history, and at their first attempt.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #123
Rawhide
High School Varsity

I'm going to wrap this one up...it's been a good little bit of fun on the side, but I have a new franchise in the wings. Excel rugby league will have to go on the backburner for a while.

This new franchise is going to be...well...quite different, and strange!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #124
kobe360x
n00b

to bad
Old 10-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #125
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Very sad... I was just starting to get into this!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:05 AM   #126
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Well, cricket turned out really well, because the program file corrupted itself!

Hence, back to the ARLA, and it's larger-than-life 27 game season.

Two new teams were to join the competition in 2029, with Stockland making a return to the competition for the first time since 2012. This time, rather than being known as simply "Stockland Football Club", they would adopt the name Stockland Sharks. The other team would be the oddly named "Western Wave", based out of Mandrasharm, a new satellite city on the outskirts of Calhournbar.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #127
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2029

Ben Ryan paid an obvious price for becoming the first coach to take a team from the championship to last place in the space of one season. He leaves the Bulldogs with a 49-67 record over six seasons, but with one McCartney Cup as well. The new coach is Jack Kelly.

Alain Dupee, the longest-serving and "winningest" coach in the history of the Colts stood down after ten-and-a-half seasons in charge. "I'm doing something that the Colts couldn't do in all my time. I'm sacking myself," he laughed at his farewell press conference. Dupee took the Colts to three title-deciders, winning in 2021. His record is 107-95. To put his numbers in context, Dupee has won nearly as many games than the second- and third-placed Colts coaches in history put together (Tommy Tanks, 63, and Hamish Landsdowne, 47). New coach Tony Hillman has been given a four-season contract to try and lift Colart back up at the top.

Alec Frost was released from the Farmers, despite Hamilton winning a record number of games in a single season; he needed a playoff victory to secure a further year. His replacement and the fifteenth coach in Hamilton's sorry history is Harry Wilkinson, who previously coached the Kierea Cannons between 2014-18.

Sam Sullivan's return to coaching was not a success, lasting only one season with the Saints. His overall record is largely untainted despite a 6-16 season. His replacement is rookie coach Chris Ryan (a cousin of Ben Ryan, the now-former Bulldogs coach)

The Western Waves announced former Kierea mentor Rob Cohen as their inaugural coach, while the Stockland Stars went for a fresh look with Tom Watson as their first coach. Watson earned a reputation for hard play during his playing career with the Tigers, earning the nickname "Iron Guts".

With the longer 27-game schedule, it was expected that apart from the Wave and Stars, the teams would be fairly close to each other in terms of winning records. However, like the Cannons last season, a team stepped forward to scream out their title aspirations as loudly as they could:

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------------------- z - Hamilton Farmers 24-3 Harry Wilkinson y - Calhournbar Crushers 19-8 Hamish Landsdowne x - Kierea Cannons 16-11 Charlie Bartlet x - Colart Colts 15-12 Tony Hillman x - Jasperstown Jets 14-13 John Boyle x - Roechester Eagles 14-13 Mark Maule Elderslie Devils 12-15 Thomas Nash Saltern Bulldogs 11-16 Jack Kelly Thompson Tigers 11-16 Daniel Forbes Charlotteville Saints 11-16 Chris Ryan Western Wave 10-17 Rob Cohen Stockland Stars 5-22 Tom Watson

The playoffs reverted to the six-team system used extensively in previous seasons of the ARL and ARLA.

Elimination Finals
Kierea Cannons beat Roechester Eagles
Colart Colts beat Jasperstown Jets

Qualifying Finals
Calhournbar Crushers beat Hamilton Farmers
Kierea Cannons beat Colart Colts

Preliminary Final
Kierea Cannons beat Hamilton Farmers - Hamilton exits out of the finals with two straight losses. Are the Farmers cursed?

McCartney Cup XLVI
Calhournbar Crushers beat Kierea Cannons

Hamish Landsdowne wins a McCartney at his third attempt (having taken the 2015 Colts and 2019 Saints to the big dance without success). The Cannons proved to be worthy defenders of their title, winning three straight finals just to make the Mccartney Cup game, where their efforts came up short.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #128
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

It's back!
Old 11-02-2009, 04:02 AM   #129
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Haha, glad you enjoy it.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 AM   #130
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2030

The ARLA Commission introduced two innovations to the competition in 2030. The first of these was an award created to honour the best coach of the season, named in memory of the first coach to win four McCartney Cups - the Kevin Jackson Medal.

The medal would be decided by a pure mathematical model, with the coach earning the highest number of points winning the award. The formula was kept a secret but thought to slightly favour those coaches who improved their squad's performance from the previous season rather than simply the coach whose team finished first.

The second innovation was the introduction of a representative match, not unlike an American baseball all-star game. Arcardia would be split into two "zones", with East facing off against West in a match played in the middle of the season. The coaches of each team would be selected at the end of the previous season and got to choose their own assistant coach. The players would be selected for each team after Week 11. The match itself would be played after Week 16, and hosted by the team that won the McCartney Cup in the previous season.

The concept would be called the League of Legends.

Eastern Zone - Hamilton, Calhournbar, Stockland, Roechester, Elderslie, Jasperstown
Western Zone - Saltern, Colart, Thompson, Western Waves, Kierea, Charlotteville

2030 League of Legends at Hamilton
Eastern Zone coach - Harry Wilkinson (Hamilton)
Eastern Zone assistant coach - Hamish Landsdowne (Calhournbar)
Western Zone coach - Charlie Bartlet (Kierea)
Western Zone assistant coach - Daniel Forbes (Thompson)
Old 11-02-2009, 05:06 AM   #131
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Weeks 1-11

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------ Roechester Eagles 8-3 Mark Maule Thompson Tigers 8-3 Daniel Forbes Hamilton Farmers 8-3 Harry Wilkinson Elderslie Devils 8-3 Thomas Nash Jasperstown Jets 7-4 John Boyle Kierea Cannons 6-5 Charlie Bartlet Saltern Bulldogs 5-6 Jack Kelly Calhournbar Crushers 5-6 Hamish Landsdowne Charlotteville Saints 4-7 Chris Ryan Western Wave 4-7 Rob Cohen Colart Colts 2-9 Tony Hillman Stockland Stars 1-10 Tom Watson

The League of Legends teams were chosen, with the East being installed as 54% favourites, largely helped by the presence of four of their teams in the top six.

Week 12-16

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------ Jasperstown Jets 12-4 John Boyle Hamilton Farmers 12-4 Harry Wilkinson Roechester Eagles 11-5 Mark Maule Thompson Tigers 10-6 Daniel Forbes Elderslie Devils 10-6 Thomas Nash Kierea Cannons 9-7 Charlie Bartlet Western Wave 8-8 Rob Cohen Charlotteville Saints 7-9 Chris Ryan Calhournbar Crushers 6-10 Hamish Landsdowne Saltern Bulldogs 6-10 Jack Kelly Colart Colts 4-12 Tony Hillman Stockland Stars 1-15 Tom Watson

League of Legends - West beat East
Winning coach - Charlie Bartlet

Weeks 17-27

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------ x - Elderslie Devils 21-6 Thomas Nash x - Jasperstown Jets 18-9 John Boyle x - Hamilton Farmers 18-9 Harry Wilkinson x - Roechester Eagles 17-10 Mark Maule x - Thompson Tigers 15-12 Daniel Forbes x - Kierea Cannons 14-13 Charlie Bartlet Calhournbar Crushers 13-14 Hamish Landsdowne Western Wave 13-14 Rob Cohen Saltern Bulldogs 12-15 Jack Kelly Charlotteville Saints 11-16 Chris Ryan Colart Colts 7-20 Tony Hillman Stockland Stars 3-24 Tom Watson

Elimination Finals
Hamilton d. Kierea
Roechester d. Thompson
Qualifying Finals
Jasperstown d. Elderslie
Roechester d. Hamilton
Preliminary Final
Elderslie d. Roechester
McCartney Cup XLVII
Jasperstown d. Elderslie

The Jets win their sixth McCartney Cup, and in their sixth apperance in the championship decider in nine years. Not a bad little trot! John Boyle wins his third McCartney Cup, moving level with Jets club legend Jim Proud in that regard.

The Devils enjoyed their first winning season since 2024 (when Shane Jackson went 11-7) and their first trip to the McCartney Cup since 2003 (when Marcel Courdouy won four straight playoff games to prevail over Jake Walsh's Thompson Tigers).

Kevin Jackson Medal
1st - Thomas Nash (Elderslie Devils)
2nd - John Boyle (Jasperstown Jets)
3rd - Mark Maule (Roechester Eagles)
Old 11-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #132
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2031

Mark Maule announced his retirement after ten seasons of coaching the Roechester Eagles, during which the franchise won their only McCartney Cup. He will be replaced by his predecessor, with Shane Jackson taking over the role. Jackson has previously coached at Colart (2004-06), Roechester (2016-20) and Elderslie (2021-25). He has signed a two year contract.

Maule ranked well upon his peers at retirement, ranking second on the all-time list of wins at a single club (129 - behind Kevin Jackson)

The ARLA announced that a new playoff system would be introduced for this season. After a 33-game season, the top seven teams would qualify. Teams ranked second to seventh would face off in a single-elimination game, leaving three qualifiers for the semi-finals. The team that finished first would receive a bye, and choose whom they would play in a knockout final to qualify for the McCartney Cup. The other two teams would face off in the other knockout final.

The coaching staffs for the second League of Legends match (to be played in Jasperstown) was announced in the pre-season:

East - Thomas Nash (assistant John Boyle)
West - Daniel Forbes (assistant Rob Cohen)
Old 11-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #133
Rawhide
High School Varsity

As it turned out, Shane Jackson didn't last one season.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------- x - Elderslie Devils 24-9 Thomas Nash x - Kierea Cannons 24-9 Charlie Bartlet x - Hamilton Farmers 20-13 Harry Wilkinson x - Calhournbar Crushers 20-13 Hamish Landsdowne x - Saltern Bulldogs 19-14 Jack Kelly x - Charlotteville Saints 17-16 Chris Ryan x - Jasperstown Jets 17-16 John Boyle Colart Colts 13-20 Tony Hillman Thompson Tigers 13-20 Daniel Forbes Roechester Eagles 11-22 Shane Jackson (0-12), Tim Chisholm (11-10) Western Wave 11-22 Rob Cohen Stockland Stars 10-23 Tom Watson

Kevin Jackson Medal
1st - Charlie Bartlet (Kierea Cannons)
2nd - Hamish Landsdowne (Calhournbar Crushers)
3rd - Jack Kelly (Saltern Bulldogs)

Quarter-Finals
2 v 7 - Kierea Cannons lost to Jasperstown Jets
3 v 6 - Hamilton Farmers lost to Charlotteville Saints
4 v 5 - Calhournbar Crushers beat Saltern Bulldogs
Devils coach Thomas Nash chose the Saints as his semi-final opponent

Semi-Finals
A - Charlotteville Saints d. Elderslie Devils - well, that certainly backfired!
B - Calhournbar Crushers d. Jasperstown Jets

McCartney Cup XLVIII
Calhournbar Crushers d. Charlotteville Saints

The Crushers (fourth overall) become the champions without having to face the top three teams in the finals, beating fifth, seventh and sixth on the way to another McCartney Cup title.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #134
Rawhide
High School Varsity

Nash slashed
Elderslie have sensationally dismissed Thomas Nash from the position of head coach, following their failure to qualify for the McCartney Cup final last season.

"We believe we have given Thomas every chance of succeeding with our squad," spoke chairman John Connons. "In some cases, we have given him too much support. Ultimately, Thomas chose his own fate when he made the wrong selection of semi-final opponent last season. I have no doubt that we should have played the Jets, not the Spiders. He may believe we are being too harsh, but that's the way the mop flops in my view."

Nash went 77-51 in five seasons with the Devils, taking them to two consecuitive finishes at the top of the ladder. He was the coach of the East squad in 2031 which ended up winning the second League of Legends.

"Grandpa" in charge
In a decision nearly as confusing as the dismissal of Nash, the Devils moved to replace him with a club stalwart old enough to be eligible for the pension. Mick Porter returns to Fenton Road and immediately becomes the oldest coach in the competition at the ripe old age of 67. Porter previously coached Elderslie between 2004-09 and also in 2013. His overall record is 65-70, including 2-4 in the playoffs.

Eagles rebuild for the future
Markus Wilson was revealed as the new coach of the Roechester Eagles, replacing caretaker Tim Chisholm. Wilson is one of the youngest coaches in the history of the ARLA, and will be just 31 when the season kicks off. Chisholm will stay on the Eagles staff as an "adviser".

Change at Stockland
Stockland today confirmed that Thomas Nash would be their new coach following the resignation of Tom "Iron Guts" Watson, who guided the Stars through their first three seasons in the ARLA.

Stockland also announced a name change, with the team now being known as the Sharks. "Stars was a bit of a silly name," conceded captain Mark Frye.

League of Legends coaches revealed
The now-annual League of Legends match is developing its own unique place in the ARLA, with the East and West sharing the honours in the first two seasons played. The concept will become a fully-fledged series this year, with three matches being played to decide the island's champion region.

Charlie Bartlet will coach the West zone, with Jack Kelly as his assistant, while for the reigning East zone, Thomas Nash will retain his position while the rookie Luke Wilson will act as his assistant.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #135
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2032

League of Legends - West wins the series 2-1

Code:
TEAM Record Coach --------------------------------------------------- x - Hamilton Farmers 27-6 Harry Wilkinson x - Elderslie Devils 22-11 Mick Porter x - Calhournbar Crushers 21-12 Hamish Landsdowne x - Kierea Cannons 17-16 Charlie Bartlet x - Saltern Bulldogs 17-16 Jack Kelly x - Stockland Sharks 17-16 Thomas Nash x - Colart Colts 16-17 Tony Hillman Thompson Tigers 15-18 Daniel Forbes Charlotteville Saints 14-19 Chris Ryan Jasperstown Jets 13-20 John Boyle Western Wave 12-21 Rob Cohen Roechester Eagles 7-26 Luke Wilson

Kevin Jackson Medal
1st - Harry Wilkinson (Hamilton Farmers)
2nd - Thomas Nash (Stockland Sharks)
3rd - Hamish Landsdowne (Calhournbar Crushers)

Quarter-Finals
2 v 7 - Elderslie Devils beat Colart Colts
3 v 6 - Stockland Sharks beat Calhournbar Crushers
4 v 5 - Saltern Bulldogs beat Kierea Cannons
Hamilton chose to play Stockland as their semi-final opponent.

Semi Finals
Hamilton Farmers beat Stockland Sharks
Saltern Bulldogs beat Elderslie Devils

McCartney Cup XLIX
Hamilton Farmers beat Saltern Bulldogs

The Farmers have FINALLY done it! They have won their maiden McCartney Cup title in their forty-ninth season and are the talk of Arcardia. Harry Wilkinson receives the keys to the city, along with the rest of his victorious squad.

There would be a mass of coaching changes for the ARLA's fiftieth season, with the Cannons, Colts, Tigers and Wave all signalling future developments in this area.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:21 AM   #136
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2033

Coaching Changes
The four changes for the upcoming season each had an interesting storyline behind it.

The Kierea Cannons said farewell to longtime coach Charlie Bartlet after he decided to retire. Bartlet went 115-85 during his Cannons career, winning the club their only McCartney Cup. He also coached Hamilton and Calhournbar for a combined ten seasons. As we shall soon see, he is one of the most experienced coaches in ARLA history. His replacement is former Stockland coach Tom "Iron Guts" Watson.

The Colart Colts decided to dispense with Tony Hillman, and in a unique sign of nostalga re-signed their most successful coach in history, Alain Dupee, to a special "farewell" contract. Dupee will coach the side for this season only, before the Colts turn the team over long-term to his successor...whoever he is.

Rob Cohen was dumped by the Western Wave after four years without a playoff apperance. His replacement is David Kerslake, who has promised Wave fans a playoff apperance this season.

The final coaching change concerned the Thompson Tigers, where Daniel Forbes left after seven unsuccessful seasons. Forbes in fact became the first Tigers coach in over thirty years to leave with a losing record (86-96). His replacement is a second-generation coach, with Will Dawson following in the footsteps of his father Bill Dawson, who is still fondly remembered by Thompson fans for delivering their first three McCartney Cup titles.

The actual competition is quite even this year, with Hamilton, Kierea and Saltern all consistently rated as the best sides, while Roechester is probably the only team that has no real chance of playing in the finals, such is the levelness of the field.

Hamish Landsdowne (East) and Jack Kelly (West) were appointed coaches of their respective representative squads, and West proceded to win the series 2-1.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach --------------------------------------------------- x - Saltern Bulldogs 21-12 Jack Kelly x - Charlotteville Saints 19-14 Chris Ryan x - Calhournbar Crushers 18-15 Hamish Landsdowne x - Thompson Tigers 18-15 Will Dawson x - Hamilton Farmers 18-15 Harry Wilkinson x - Stockland Sharks 18-15 Thomas Nash x - Jasperstown Jets 17-16 John Boyle Elderslie Devils 16-17 Mick Porter Colart Colts 16-17 Alain Dupee Kierea Cannons 15-18 Tom Watson Western Wave 14-19 David Kerslake Roechester Eagles 9-24 Luke Wilson

Kevin Jackson Medal
1st - Jack Kelly (Saltern Bulldogs)
2nd - Will Dawson (Thompson Tigers)
3rd - John Boyle (Jasperstown Jets)

Quarter Finals
2 v 7 - Charlotteville d. Jasperstown
3 v 6 - Stockland d. Calhournbar
4 v 5 - Thompson d. Hamilton
Saltern chose to play the Sharks.

Semi Finals
Saltern d. Stockland

McCartney Cup L
Saltern Bulldogs d. Thompson Tigers

The Bulldogs win their first championship since 2027, and their tenth in club history. Will Dawson narrowly fails to bring a championship back to Thompson and emulate the deeds of his father.

Coming up - a fifty year review of the ARLA.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #137
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
Coming up - a fifty year review of the ARLA.

Cannot wait for that!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #138
Rawhide
High School Varsity

In 2033 the ARLA set up a Coaching Ring of Honour to salute those who have etched their names at the forefront of rugby league coaching in the past fifty years of the ARLA. The historians poured over the records and set the following criteria for admission into the "Ring". Fulfilling one of the following will gain a coach admittance:

* Winning 100 games at a rate of better than 60.0% during their careers
* Winning at least three McCartney Cup titles, or qualifying for six finals.
* Coaching in at least 300 games (200 games for those whose careers finished before 2013)
* Five Kevin Jackson medals (coach of the year award)

In addition, the coach must have been retired for at least ten seasons.

After deliberation, it was announced that the following were the inaugural members of the Coaching Ring of Honour:

Kevin Jackson
Calhournbar Crushers 1984-1996
Record - 156-53 (74.6%)
McCartney Cups - 4/8

Angus Ryan
Elderslie Devils 1995-99, Calhournbar Crushers 1999-2005, Elderslie Devils 2015
Record - 156-53 (74.6%)
McCartney Cups - 2/5

Jim Proud
Jasperstown Jets 2013-22
Record - 108-72 (60.0%)
McCartney Cups - 3/3

Bill Dawson
Charlotteville Spiders 1999-2000, Thompson Tigers 2008-15
Record - 107-49 (68.6%)
McCartney Cups - 3/6

David Franklin
Saltern Bulldogs 1983-87, 1992-93, 1999-2002
Record - 105-65 (61.8%)
McCartney Cups - 1/2

John Conway
Saltern Bulldogs 2003-08
Record - 91-26 (77.8%)
McCartney Cups - 4/4

Marcel Courdouy
Colart Colts 1995-96, Charlotteville Spiders 1997-98, Elderslie Devils 1999-2003
Record - 85-59 (59.0%)
McCartney Cups - 3/4

!

Coaches who currently are eligible to enter the Ring but cannot due to the ten year cooling down period are:

Hamish Landsdowne (497 career games coached, 2/6 McCartney Cups; still active)
Charlie Bartlet (380 career games coached - eligible in 2043)
John Boyle (3/5 McCartney Cups - eligible in 2043)
Harry Wilkinson (153 wins at 63%; still active)
Mark Maule (129 wins at 62.6% - eligible in 2040)
Andrew Latham (125 wins at 63.1% - eligible in 2036)

Last edited by Rawhide : 11-07-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #139
Rawhide
High School Varsity

All Time Winning Coaches
* Still active

281 - Hamish Landsdowne*
196 - Charlie Bartlet
156 - Kevin Jackson
156 - John Boyle
153 - Harry Wilkinson*

Most Games Coached
* Still active

497 - Hamish Landsdowne*
380 - Charlie Bartlet
269 - John Boyle
243 - Harry Wilkinson*
235 - Alain Dupee

Best Winning Percentage
Qualifier - Coached two or more seasons
* Still active

77.8% - John Conway
74.6% - Kevin Jackson
71.9% - Ben Wellington
69.9% - Harry Taylor
68.6% - Bill Dawson

McCartney Cup Records
Based on 3 points for a win, 1 point for a loss.
Actual record is in brackets
* Still active

16 - Kevin Jackson (4-4)
12 - John Conway (4-0)
12 - Bill Dawson (3-3)
11 - John Boyle (3-2)
10 - Marcel Courdouy (3-1)
10 - Hamish Landsdowne* (2-4)

The Honour Roll - McCartney Cup Champions
Period One - Establishment (1983-1995)

1983 - Colart Colts (George Young)
1984 - Calhournbar Crushers (Kevin Jackson)
1985 - Elderslie Devils (Martin Moore)
1986 - Palmerston Eagles (Rob Riordan)
1987 - Palmerston Eagles (Rob Riordan)
1988 - Colart Colts (Tommy Tanks)
1989 - Saltern Bulldogs (Charlie Grace)
1990 - Calhournbar Crushers (Kevin Jackson)
1991 - Colart Colts (Tommy Tanks)
1992 - Colart Colts (Marc Bonaparte)
1993 - Colart Colts (George Young)
1994 - Calhournbar Crushers (Kevin Jackson)
1995 - Colart Colts (Marcel Courdouy)

Period Two - Expansion and Collapse (1996-2011)

1996 - Calhournbar Crushers (Kevin Jackson)
1997 - Calhournbar Crushers (Ben Wellington)
1998 - Calhournbar Crushers (Ben Wellington)
1999 - Stockland Football Club (Sam Gibson)
2000 - Calhournbar Crushers (Angus Ryan)
2001 - Saltern Bulldogs (David Franklin)
2002 - Elderslie Devils (Marcel Courdouy)
2003 - Elderslie Devils (Marcel Courdouy)
2004 - Saltern Bulldogs (John Conway)
2005 - Saltern Bulldogs (John Conway)
2006 - Calhournbar Crushers (Peter Klein)
2007 - Saltern Bulldogs (John Conway)

2008 - Saltern Bulldogs (John Conway)
2009 - Thompson Tigers (Bill Dawson)
2010 - Calhournbar Crushers (Peter Klein)
2011 - Saltern Bulldogs (Patrick Grace)

Period Three - Stability and Renewal (2013-2033)

2013 - Calhournbar Crushers (Angus Ryan)
2014 - Thompson Tigers (Bill Dawson)
2015 - Thompson Tigers (Bill Dawson)
2016 - Thompson Tigers (Andrew Latham)
2017 - Jasperstown Jets (Jim Proud)
2018 - Jasperstown Jets (Jim Proud)
2019 - Saltern Bulldogs (James Payne)
2020 - Calhournbar Crushers (Bill Tanks)
2021 - Colart Colts (Alain Dupee)
2022 - Jasperstown Jets (Jim Proud)
2023 - Thompson Tigers (Andrew Latham)
2024 - Jasperstown Jets (John Boyle)
2025 - Roechester Eagles (Mark Maule)
2026 - Jasperstown Jets (John Boyle)
2027 - Saltern Bulldogs (Ben Ryan)
2028 - Kierea Cannons (Charlie Bartlet)
2029 - Calhournbar Crushers (Hamish Landsdowne)
2030 - Jasperstown Jets (John Boyle)
2031 - Calhournbar Crushers (Hamish Landsdowne)
2032 - Hamilton Farmers (Harry Wilkinson)
2033 - Saltern Bulldogs (Jack Kelly)

Most Championships
13 - Calhournbar Crushers
10 - Saltern Bulldogs
7 - Colart Colts
6 - Jasperstown Jets
5 - Thompson Tigers
3 - Elderslie Devils
2 - Palmerston Eagles
1 - Stockland Football Club
1 - Roechester Eagles
1 - Hamilton Farmers
1 - Kierea Cannons

Second Division Champions
2009 - Westlands Whalers
2010 - Hamilton Farmers
2011 - Courdeaux Cockerels

Third Division Champions
2011 - Brentwood Browns

Kevin Jackson Medal (Coach of the Year)
2030 - Thomas Nash (Elderslie Devils)
2031 - Charlie Bartlet (Kierea Cannons)
2032 - Harry Wilkinson (Hamilton Farmers)
2033 - Jack Kelly (Saltern Bulldogs)

League of Legends Series
2030 - West (Charlie Bartlet beat Harry Wilkinson)
2031 - East (Thomas Nash beat Daniel Forbes)
2032 - West 2-1 (Charlie Bartlet beat Thomas Nash)
2033 - West 2-1 (Jack Kelly beat Hamish Landsdowne)

ARL/ARLA administrators
1983 - John R. Stephenson
1996 - Catherine Ryan
2008 - Jack Schitt
2012 - David H. Smith
2013 - Jake Walsh

Last edited by Rawhide : 11-07-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #140
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2034

Three clubs adopted new coaches prior to the start of the season. Alain Dupee departed the Colts, paving the way for new coach Grant Forbes. John Boyle retired from the Jasperstown Jets after a twelve year association; he is replaced by Alexander Barclay. Luke Wilson got the chop after taking the Eagles to 12-50 over two seasons. His replacement is Mitchell Brent. All three coaches are in their thirties, representing the new wave of head coaches replacing the old guard.

It was the old guard, however, that retained their positions for the League of Legends fixtures; Hamish Landsdowne (East) and Jack Kelly (West) retained their positions. West went on to sweep the series 3-0.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ----------------------------------------- x - Stockland Sharks 21-12 Thomas Nash x - Kierea Cannons 19-14 Tom Watson x - Calhournbar Crushers 18-15 Hamish Landsdowne x - Hamilton Farmers 18-15 Harry Wilkinson x - Elderslie Devils 18-15 Mick Porter x - Saltern Bulldogs 18-15 Jack Kelly x - Colart Colts 17-16 Grant Forbes Western Wave 17-16 David Kerslake Charlotteville Saints 15-18 Chris Ryan Thompson Tigers 15-18 Will Dawson Roechester Eagles 14-19 Mitchell Brent Jasperstown Jets 8-25 Alexander Barclay

Kevin Jackson Medal
1st - Thomas Nash (Stockland Sharks)
2nd - Tom Watson (Kierea Cannons)
3rd - Mitchell Brent (Roechester Eagles)

Quarter Finals
Kierea Cannons d. Colart Colts
Saltern Bulldogs d. Calhournbar Crushers
Elderslie Devils d. Hamilton Farmers
The Sharks chose to play the Bulldogs

Semi Finals
Kierea Cannons d. Elderslie Devils
Stockland Sharks d. Saltern Bulldogs

McCartney Cup LI
Stockland Sharks d. Kierea Cannons

The two best teams all year meet in the McCartney Cup game; Thomas Nash wins his first cup while Tom "Iron Guts" Watson lifts the Cannons from tenth to second in the space of a season.

It is the Sharks' first McCartney Cup win as a resurrected franchise (although the original Stockland side won way back in 1999). The Cannons played in their third McCartney Cup game in the space of six years - they have only won once (2028).
Old 11-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #141
Rawhide
High School Varsity

ARLA 2035

After many years of running the ARLA and overseeing its return to a stable competition, Commissioner Jake Walsh announced his retirement effective January 31st.

Walsh - a former coach of the Thompson Tigers - stayed in the Commissioner's seat for 22 years, a record tenure in the combined history of the ARL/ARLA.

The race to succeed him came down to two respected figures in the circles of Arcardian society, but two figures who offered starkly different views about the future direction of the competition.

David H. Smith was the great survivor of the ARLA, having been involved in the administration of the Hamilton Farmers for forty seasons, and also coaching the side in three seperate stints. He was the Al Davis of the ARLA, but without the craziness. Under his guidance, the Farmers had survived the ARL crash of 2012 and developed to a point where they eventually broke the longest drought in the ARLA and won the McCartney Cup in 2032. Aged 73, Smith could be considered a safe pair of hands, but a short term successor. He promised to maintain the integrity and structure of the ARLA as it presently stands.

On the other hand, Mark Maule represented a younger generation. He was a virtual unknown when he took over the Roechester Eagles in 2021 - a team which had just one playoff game to its name. By the time he retired in 2030 the team had played in four championship deciders and made the playoffs in each and every season. Aged 45, Maule was still good enough to coach, but yearned to occupy the Commissioner's seat and make what he perceived to be the brave decisions that would guide the ARLA into a new era; reforming the ARLA into a virtual "Champions League", allowing each of the 60-or-so clubs throughout Arcardia which played the funny old game of Rugby League access to the game's greatest prize. He would also do away with the League of Legends concept.

Delegates from each of the 12 teams met at Stephenson House on January 31 2035 to make a momentous decision, and it was about as emphatic a decision as could be expected: By a vote of 9-3, the ARLA had decided that the present course was just fine, and installed David H. Smith as it's sixth commissioner. The vote was as much a referendum on Mark Maule as it was an affirmation for Smith; one delegate, speaking on condition of secrecy, said that the Maule Plan "scared the shit out of me".

Nonetheless, by a vote of 9-3 also, the League of Legends concept was scrapped.

Coaching Changes
Hamish Landsdowne received his marching orders from the Calhournbar Crushers after three straight seasons of playoff blowouts. He went 129-101 during his time with the Crushers, winning two McCartney Cups. Landsdowne announced his retirement from coach effective immediately, and endorsed assistant Craig Collins as his successor.

In pre-season betting, Stockland, Kierea and Hamilton were the early favourites, while most pundits predicted another long season for Jasperstown and the Eagles.

It turned out that there was quite a lot of changing coaches during the season, with three coaches losing their jobs.

David Kerslake resigned as the coach of the Western Wave after a 1-8 start to the season. He was replaced by Callan Rofe.

The Saltern Bulldogs made the semi-finals last season but stumbled out of the blocks badly, with Jack Kelly being axed after a 0-12 start. Oliver Crane, a former Bulldogs coach, stepped into the breach.

Over at Jasperstown, Alexander Barclay saw the writing on the wall and cleared out his office after starting 1-13. Sam Jackson is the new man in charge.

Code:
TEAM Record Coach ------------------------------------------------- y - Kierea Cannons 26-7 Tom Watson x - Hamilton Farmers 24-9 Harry Wilkinson x - Stockland Stars 24-9 Bill Dawson x - Charlotteville Saints 22-11 Chris Ryan x - Elderslie Devils 21-12 Mick Porter x - Calhournbar Crushers 17-16 Craig Collins x - Colart Colts 16-17 Grant Forbes Thompson Tigers 13-20 Will Dawson Saltern Bulldogs 12-21 Jack Kelly (0-12), Oliver Crane (12-9) Roechester Eagles 10-23 Mitchell Brent Western Wave 8-25 David Kerslake (1-8), Callan Rofe (7-17) Jasperstown Jets 5-28 Alexander Barclay (1-13), Sam Jackson (4-15)

Kevin Jackson Medal
1st - Tom Watson (Kierea Cannons)
2nd - Chris Ryan (Charlotteville Saints)
3rd - Harry Wilkinson (Hamilton Farmers)

Quarter Finals
Hamilton d. Colart
Stockland d. Calhournbar
Charlotteville d. Elderslie

For the first time in many, many seasons, the top four teams had progressed to the semi-final stage. Tom Watson made an unexpected and shocking decision when he chose the second-placed Hamilton Farmers as Kierea's opponents, pitting first against second in a knock-out final, while third would play fourth for the other place in the McCartney Cup game. Cannons fans - expecting to play Charlotteville instead - were outraged and petitioned Commissioner Smith to veto the decision. He refused saying that to do so would be an abuse of his office, and not to mention a potential conflict of interest.

Those Cannons fans would be doubly outraged a few short days later when Kierea bowed out of the competition.

Semi Finals
Hamilton d. Kierea
Stockland d. Charlotteville

McCartney Cup LII
Hamilton Farmers d. Stockland Sharks

The Farmers therefore won their second McCartney Cup in history, with Commissioner Smith handing the trophy to his son Charlie Smith (now Farmers owner) and Harry Wilkinson. The Potato Head fans were overjoyed and packed the streets of Hamilton until the wee hours in celebration.

The ARLA would be shocked two days later to learn that Commissioner Smith had passed away after suffering a massive coronary while working in his office.

Tributes flowed in from every corner of the ARLA universe, while Hamilton Cathedral was packed to overflowing, with every surviving Farmers coach acting as pallbearer for the father of their club.

Attention then turned to electing the seventh commissioner. While it seemed assured that Mark Maule would make another run at the top job, more than a few wondered whether he had watered down his plans sufficiently to not "scare the shit" out of the other owners.