Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #251
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

This is one of my favorite missions. It had some unusual things, like luck on our side, the engine explosion, and such.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #252
Tellistto
College Prospect

Have to love those missions you can get passionate about. Yay for the little guy, the tyrant is dead!

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #253
law90026
College Benchwarmer

That was a nice story there
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 AM   #254
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

Vindicator H, otherwise fine

Blackjack - CT?, RT, gyrox1

Hunchback - H destroyed

Warhammer, gyro hit twice, engine x2,LA, LT destroyed

Cataphract - LA, LT, CT?

Awesome RL, RT, RA, LT, LA, CT?

Cataphract LA
Blackjack RA
Awesome LA, RA
Urbie LA
Scorpion FLL, RLL
Shadow Hawk LA

To be repaired:

Champion RA, LL, AC10x2

Firestarter RT, RA

Banshee RA

Salvage Values:

Vindicator Normal Value: 3,188,000 To Repair: 450,000 Current Value: 2,738,000

Hunchback Normal Value: 3,467,000 To Repair: 450,000 Current Value: 3,017,000

Blackjack Normal Value: 3,147,000 To Repair: 1,800,000 Current Value: 1,347,000

Warhammer 6L Normal Value: 6,077,000 To Repair: 610,000 Current Value: 5,467,000

Cataphract Normal Value: 5,998,000 To Repair: 3,400,000 Current Value: 2,598,000

Awesome, Urbie and Scorpion parts. 1,250,000

Total Salvage Value: 16, 417,000

Shared Salvage: 8,208,500

I can take the Warhammer and Cataphract and add to my heavy metal. Or, I can rock the Vindicator (or Hunchback), Blackjack and Cataphract.

I choose the Warhammer, Cataphract, and an UrbanMech LA.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM   #255
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Costs:

4,010,000 To repair Warhammer and Cataphract
307,255 upkeep of unit
625,000 armor and ammo for unit
960,000 for replacement parts
600,000 until we split off from Commandos
225,000 to our planet from there
600,000 back
I use a Rifleman LL to repair the Champion’s LL.

Gains:

8,208,500 salvage rights
712,500 transport reimbursement
792,500 battle loss compensation
273,433 salary
13,500 remuneration
2,730 bonus

Total Increase in War Chest: 3,500,908

Current War Chest: 4,450,908

Old 08-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #256
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

EXPERIENCE - The Death of the Governor was exactly enough to give me 12 kills. Time to level me up. I increase my piloting skill by one.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #257
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dec 31, 3035 - Kilts Commando arrives back in Outreach. Now let’s flash back to Commandos Company.

November 16, 3035 - The Commandos company has landed at Cammal. Our goal is to raid one of the two Davion supply caches on the planet for our employers. In order to disguise our operations, we are to raid the nearby town of Drageunentz, a local mining colony.

November 27, 3035 - We stayed in space a few extra days, while our infantry landed on planet and set up near a supply cache that is supposed to be hidden from spying eyes, but the Capellan Intelligence found it.

Ted lands our mech unit after the infantry are set up, near the small mining colony, and make as if we are there to take the precious metals mined there. All nearby forces converge on our position, and while they are away attacking us, our infantry will sneak inside their supply cache and steal as much as they can take. We’ve rented several local flatbeds (which are ten ton trucks good for carrying military materiel) to help the infantry.

Meanwhile, we have to hold out as long as possible against our foes. A battalion of Davion troops are nearby, and they mean to crush us before we can “take” any of the ore. I send my Thunder lance out to harass and slow down the enemy. They are to stay at extreme range, occasionally peppering the enemy, and slowing them down. We need to keep the enemy tied up for as long as possible, but we are jumping.

Twenty minutes later, our scout lance makes contact with their forward line. They slow to fire at them, and they hurry back away. We bought maybe a minute. Five minutes later, the scout lance arrives back at our base. We are arrayed at the foundation of our DropShip. They pack a lot of weapons but are fragile if attacked. This DropPort is about two klicks outside of the city, its perfect for the next stage of our plan

About three minutes after our scouts arrive, their first mech comes on screen. A Locust is speeding in front of other recon mechs when suddenly the ground bursts open below its legs and it tumbles to the ground, one leg shredded and hanging loosely from its torso. They have discovered our minefield, left by our infantry prior to us landing. That slows them down significantly. The mechs begin to pick their way through the dirt and grass on the outskirts of the DropPort. A Valkyrie triggers another mine and is blasted by the explosion, revealing a gleaming silver where armor has been scraped away.

A Whitworth is the third mech to trigger a mine. Their commander issues a command, and all of the mechs withdraw from the mined area. They are splitting into two forces, and moving to flank us. They will come around the mines, and hit us from both sides. They’ll be here in just a few minutes.

Ted finishes boarding the DropShip. After a few moments, it lifts off, just as the first mechs get within weapons range. A few fire out of frustration, but the DropShip takes no damage.

We diverted their forces for about thirty minutes, plus it will take them some time to return to their posts, including the few who guarded the supply cache.

Three days later, we are reunited with our infantry, who made off with their materiel and blew up the rest. We have fulfilled the contract with the Capellans without taking damage. Like most employers do, they agree to cut short our contract, and thus our salary, to just one month, especially when they find out that they do not have to pay any battle loss compensation except for mines.

We arrive back at Outreach on January 21, 3036.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #258
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Financials:

Losses:

305,388 salary
250,000 for mines
25,000 for truck rentals, bribes
225,000 there after we broke off fromthe first company
675,000 back

Gains:

600,000 for transport reimbursement*
125,000 battle loss compensation
174,053 salary

Total Losses: 581,335

You don’t always make money as a merc. You don’t always fight as a merc.

Note that I was double compensated for the 600,000 when we traveled together. The Caps reimbursed 40% and the St. Ives reimbursed 50%. That was smart of me. I am a mercenary, after all.

Let’s go back in time again.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #259
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

September 30, 3035 - Trinity company arrives back at Outreach and makes some changes based on our latest changes. Lieutenant Elizabeth Smythe gets one chance to make a recruiting effort before looking for contracts. She finds no one, except a green dispossessed MechWarrior, and she is not interested. (She rolled a 3 on 2d6).

Contracts:

Offer #1: Lyrans want us for a Security contract.

Offer #2: A periphery state wants us for Pirate Hunting. Pirate Hunting is easy, and can result in real nice salvage. It was after pirate hunting that we got enough mechs to get a second company. The realm that wants our assistance is the Outworlds Alliance. Here’s the good news - we’d crush most pirates bands easily. Here’s the bad news, the periphery is a long way away. It lies at the juncture between the Fed Suns and the Dracs, but way out on the edge of space.

Starting in 3020, the Outworlds Alliance began a program with House Davion to bring in teachers and educators to the Alliance, working to decrease crime and illiteracy. The Alliance grants Davion their most favored trade status, but refuses any military presence from the Fed Suns within its borders. During the years, the Outworlds Alliance has had to be very neutral between the two major states. Any military or political support for the Fed Suns would give the dragon the excuse it needs to invade.

Although many periphery states are leery of authority and thus ComStar, the Outworlds Alliance embraces ComStar’s presence.

The place we are to jump to is 18 jumps away. It would take us…about six months to get to the pirates, then we fight them, then we spend another six months coming back. That’s crazy. It’s a waste of time.

What do the Lyrans want?

After the secession of the Free Rasalhague Republic, and other independence movements in the Inner Sphere such as the St. Ives Compact, Duchy of Andurien, and Tikonov, other traditionally independent minded areas are also demanding for independence, and none louder than the Isle of Skye. The Isle of Skye is an area around the Skye system on the border between the Lyran Commonwealth and Draconis Combine, south of the Free Rasalhague Republic. It’s not far from Terra, roughly 65 light years away.

There have been riots, demonstrations and occasionally military conflict on several planets in the area. We would be sent to Galatea. Before Outreach became the haven for mercs, Galatea was the mercenary headquarters. After a few years, Galatea’s economy is beginning to collapse. Since it was Hanse Davion who granted Outreach to the Dragoons, which turned it into the central processing area for mercs in the Inner Sphere, many of the people of Galatea blame Hanse Davion for their economy’s downfall. Since current Archon Katrina Steiner married her daughter to Hanse in a unification of the states, Galatea has been hot against the Lyran government as well. Combine their economic woes with the already anti-government leanings of the Isle of Skye, and you have the recipe for a powder keg. There are still a few minor mercenary forces on Galatea too disreputable to find work on Outreach. There are also some militia, some loyal to the Duke of Skye before Archon Katrina.

The Lyran military wants some extra forces on the planet, but fears that sending house units will only compound problems. On the other hand, a small mercenary unit should go relatively unnoticed, until we are needed for battle.

I decide to take the Lyran for one main reason. Number of jumps from Outreach to Galatea: 3.

Well, when you are that close, you just have to check it out.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #260
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Contract:

65 points

We put salvage. They offer exchange, we counter with shared. 55.

They put up contract length and offer five months. I can bring them to four, but no lower. 50.

I put up transport. They offer full transport (since we are so close, who cares, right?). 50.

They put up command and offer a liaison. I can live with that. 50.

I put up support. They offer straight, I counter with battle loss at 50%, 15.

They offer remuneration to put us at 5.

I put up salary at 3.6, and use up our remaining points.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #261
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

October 27, 3035 - We land on Galatea. We move our mechs to one of the many local storage buildings. Near the Galaport DropPort. These used to be teeming and bustling with mechs and companies, but are largely abandoned except for the occasional hard luck merc unit.

Elizabeth swings by the local recruiting stations the next day, to look busy. Over the next couple of days, she tries to blend into the surroundings.

November 7, 3035 - A local merc unit, barely a company strong, called Ryan’s Regulators, is tearing through Galaport, destroying the loyal Davion regions of the city. Like many cities, Galaport is divided into national affinity, and there are a large number of Federated Suns oriented blocks and sections of the capital. The local militia has not responded, nor have garrison units moved out.

This is our cue. There are citizens whose houses and lives are threatened because the idiots in another merc company are not being stopped by law enforcement. Luckily for the citizens, we are the law for four months on Galatea.

Elizabeth warms up her Atlas and begins to move out.

Ryan’s Regulators:

Dragon
Valkyrie
Firestarter
Spider
Stinger
Catapult
Quickdraw
Cicada
Grasshopper
Goliath
Vindicator
Victor

2 assaults, 4 heavies, 2 mediums, 4 lights. That a bit on the heavy side. Let’s see what we can do to Ryan’s Regulator’s.

We are fighting in a suburban district of town, and will try to keep fire on civilians and houses to a minimum.

Their pilots are generally regular, but there are a handful of green pilots in there (I always roll randomly). The Goliath houses Jake Ryan, the leader of Ryan’s Regulator’s. I see the extra apostrophe in their name and can’t help but wonder if there was a third word after Regulator’s that got cut. Jake Ryan is a veteran.

I am more than happy to scour the Inner Sphere of scum like the governor on Capricorn III and Ryan’s Regulator’s and Vinson’s Victorious.

Let’s play.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #262
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Their Cicada falls while running on pavement and destroys its own LA. Their Goliath hits my Ostsol’s head twice with LRM fire. Their Quickdraw hit my Cicada’s arm and destroyed two actuators. The Hatchetman destroys their Cicada’s LT. Their Dragon falls under the assault.

They jump their Stinger behind the rear of my Atlas after I move it, so it can attack its back armor. Clever. Their Vindicator climbs on top of a building and it collapses. I hope the civilians evacuated. Just an exchange of fire this turn.

Our Hatchetman opens up the Stinger’s arm and hit’s a pair of actuators. Elizabeth Smythe’s Atlas’s head got hit twice by missiles on an SRM hit.

Their Catapult collapses a building it jumps upon. Their Spider goes down with it. We destroy a Stinger’s LA from our Grand Dragon. Our Atlas destroys the LT and CT of the Stinger and it falls down. Their Victor’s AC20 hit’s the leg of our Goliath and takes out its hip actuator. Their Quickdraw adds a upper leg actuator hit on the FRL. Our Victor tears through the Quickdraw and hits ammo. Boom! Dead Quickdraw. Their Valkyrie and our Goliath both fall. Our Phoenix Hawk misses a kick and falls as well.

The 5th turn is here. Our Phoenix Hawk fails to get up once and hurts itself in a second fall, before getting up and running into some smoke. The Goliath automatically stands up, since it still has all four legs. Their Grasshopper destroys the FRL of our Goliath. Their Goliath’s PPC hit’s the head of our Goliath and destroys it. Dead mech, and dead pilot. One of our Trebuchet’s destroys the RA of their Valkyire. Their Victor destroys the RRL of the Goliath too. Our Hatchetman hits an engine on their Cicada. Their Dragon and Valkyrie fall.

Several of their mechs fall while trying to get up or run including their Spider and Dragon. Their Dragon hit’s a pair of Jump Jets on our Phoenix Hawk. A Trebuchet hit’s the Upper Leg actuaotr on the enemy’s Victor RL. Our Hatchetman destroys the CT of their Firestarter. Their Victor falls and the pilot blacks out. Our Ostscout destroys the CT section of their Cicada.

I move our elite pilot Locust next to the downed Victor, with just two points of internal structure in its head, I’ll try to destroy its head. Good salvage there. All it has is an actuator hit and that’s it, so taking its head would be a nice piece of salvage. Our Atlas destroys the Grasshopper’s LA before getting a limb blows off crit for its RL. It falls again. Our Phoenix destroys the Valkyrie’s LA and LT. Our Locust misses the Victor’s head, but it does hit its AC20. Our Atlas kicks the Spider’s LL and it is destroyed, the damage travels tp the LT, it is destroyed, and the LA falls off. With no left side, the mech crumbles hard to the ground. The Victor pilot wakes up. Ah well, we missed our chance.

Their Grasshopper and Spider pilots black out. Our Phoenix Hawk destroys the RA of their Victor. Our Atlas aims at the Grasshopper’s head, hits it once with a Medium Laser and rings the bell of the pilot, but does not go internal. Then hit’s the Goliath for 50 damage. AC20, LRM20 with twenty missiles, and SRM6 with five missiles. Exactly 50 damage from our Atlas, after it fired it’s Medium Lasers elsewhere. Devastating. Our Ostsol hits their Goliath‘s head with a large laser and rings his bell too. Our Cicada destroys their Victor’s RL. It falls to the ground. The Victor pilot blacks out again. Our Ostscout punches their Goliath twice. The first hits an LRM10. The second hits its head, and both Life Support slots are hit, destroying it. The pilot takes damage. Their Vindicator kicks and hits two leg actuators on our Cicada but Anna manages to keep her mech standing.

Our opponents have been reduced to five mechs operating since the other three have unconscious pilots. Their Valkyie is savaged so badly it has no weapons left, and their Goliath is about to have an unconscious pilot with its life support destroyed. Jake Ryan radios a signal to surrender. We accept the surrender and turn them and their remaining five mechs to the police.

I order my company to help with the clean up of the area for a few hours, until the sun begins to set. Then we head back to our warehouse.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #263
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Just caught up. Great dynasty...thanks for sharing.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #264
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Heya. thanks!

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #265
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

Stinger, LA, LT, CT?

Firestarter - CT?

Cicada - LT, LA, CT?

Grasshopper - RL, LA

Spider - LL, LT, LA

Victor - RL, RA

Quickdraw RA, H, LA
Grasshopper RL
Spider LA
To Fix:

Goliath FRL, H, RRL

Cicada - four actuators, two arm and two leg

To Repair, Rearm, and Rearmor: 2,145,000

The Goliath will not be fixed for a while.

I roll to see if any of our captured MechWarriors are appropriate for our unit. All would like to join us, so they can avoid jail time, and the locals would be happy to release some for us, since they agree with the mercs’ sentiment. I review the vids of their battle to see if any held back fire from local buildings when trouncing through the suburbs. None meet our high demands.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #266
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, now the locals know we are here. Let’s see if it makes a difference.

January 1, 3036 - To celebrate the new year, the locals in Galaport begin to riot. Overnight parties turn to riots and demonstrations as drunkenness begins to make way for actual resistance. Within a day, stores are being destroyed in the city, and the police and militia are trying to restore order.

One of the dissident groups has hired one of the lowlife merc units to attack the local constabulary. Militia infantry are fighting the mechs now, but they have chance against them. We are called in to help. Our Goliath is fixed, but there is no one to pilot it.

We don’t have any information on the merc group - it’s size and composition are unknown to us. We charge into the unknown.

I rolled one company, and mechs not vehicles or combined arms.

Firestarter
Cicada
Clint
Trebuchet
Thunderbolt
BattleMaster x2
Panther
Vulcan
Zeus
Enforcer
Jenner

Three assaults, and BattleMasters are nasty. Two are double nasty. The Zeus is a solid Lyran assault mech.

The militia withdraw as heavy metal moves against their foe. Time to take these folks on.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #267
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our first turn we hit one of their BattleMaster’s hard. Their Firestarter and Cicada fall after missing a kick.

Our Victor gets a Through Armor Critical on a BattleMaster, hit’s the SRM ammo and it goes up. Boom!

The third round we exchange fire. Nobody falls or anything. Well, except for their Cicada who loses its LL to the Atlas which kicks it off. Their pilot blacks out.

Our Hatchetman destroys the LL of the Jenner and its falls. Elizabeth targets the Cicada’s head and blows it off with its AC20. Also taken out was its LA. Our Victor destroys the LT of the Firestarter, so its arm falls to the ground. Their BattleMaster falls along with our Grand Dragon. Our Ostsol kicks and destroys the LL of the Firestarter while the Victor kicks and destroys its CT section.

I stand up the Grand Dragon. Their Jenner tries to get up, fails, and blacks out. Our Ostscout destroys the BattleMaster’s LT and its LA falls. Their Zeus tumbles to the ground.

Our Catapult hits their Zeus’s ammo bin, and it goes up. Boom! Our Ostsol reaches in and punches through the fragile rear armor of their Clint and hit’s the engine. Their Jenner wakes up.

Their Jenner tries to stand up and then falls down, blacking out the pilot again. Their Trebuchet destroys the LA of our Ostsol. Our Locust hit’s the BattleMaster’s gyro. Our Victor destroyed their LA of their Clint. The BattleMaster falls and destroys its RA. The RL and RT of the Clint are destroyed by a Victor kick. It crashes to the ground.

Our Locust destroys the BattleMaster’s engine. Three hits yay! Our Victor fires its AC20 at the Thunderbolt and destroys the head.

Despite the fact that all of the assault and heavy mechs are down, they keep coming at us. Maybe they need another lesson.

Their Panther hits the ammo on our Grand Dragon, and it explodes. Well, they gained something by continuing to fight. Now I’m pissed off. The engine blows, and it explodes. Their Clint takes 40 damage and its CT section is destroyed. Their Panther takes 15 damage. Their Trebuchet took 7.

They keep fighting and I won’t complain, not now. We go all out. I order Anna Cafincelli to charge their Panther. I order the Locust to charge their Vulcan. Their Trebuchet hit’s the Atlas’s AC20. Our Atlas destroys both arms on the Enforcer. The Atlas hit’s a pair of leg actuators. Our Ostsol destroys its LT. It also hits its engine twice. The Enforcer falls. The Atlas kicked the Enforcer and hits its engine. Three engine hits. Its out. The Panther is hit by the Cicada. Our Locust also hits. Both the Panther and Vulcan falls, but ours are still standing.

They signal their concession. I turn them over to the local militia.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #268
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage

Cicada - LA, H

Firestarter - CT?, LL, LT

BattleMaster - enginex3, RA, LA, LT

Thunderbolt - H

Jenner - LL

Clint - CT?, RL, RT, LA, RA

Enforcer, engine x3, RA, LA, LT, two leg actuators.

BattleMaster LAx2
Firestarter LA
Zeus RA
Grand Dragon LA

To Fix:

Ostsol - LA

The Clint Pilot is joinable. Say hello to Mara Fehr, regular, dispossessed.

I assign the Grand Dragon pilot, Janice Flanders, to the Goliath.

There are no more insurrections while we are on planet until our contract resolves.

February 28, 3035 - We settle up and leave for Outreach

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #269
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvaged Mechs:

Stinger - 1,662,000 To Repair: 970,000 Current Value: 692,000
Firestarter - 3,046,000 To Repair: 1,800,000 Current Value: 1,246,000
Cicada - 3,705,000 To Repair: 2,440,000 Current Value: 1,255,000
Grasshopper - 6,024,000 To Repair: 610,000 Current Value: 5,414,000
Spider - 2,984,000 To Repair: 624,000 Current Value: 2,370,000
Victor - 8,027,000 To Repair: 1,225,000 Current Value: 6,802,000
Cicada - 3,705,000 To Repair: 700,000 Current Value: 3,005,000
Clint - 3,220,000 To Repair: 1,450,000 (Fixed the engine) Current Value: 1,770,000
Enforcer - 3,536,000 To Repair: 760,000 Current Value: 2,776,000
Jenner - 3,198,000 To Repair: 300,000 Current Value: 2,898,000
Firestarter - 3,046,000 To Repair: 1,700,000 Current Value: 1,346,000
BattleMaster - 8,500,000 To Repair: 1,200,000 Current Value: 7,300,000
Thunderbolt - 5,413,000 To Repair: 600,000 Current Value: 4,813,000

Body Parts:

Quickdraw RA, H, LA
Grasshopper RL
Spider LA
BattleMaster LAx2
Firestarter LA
Zeus RA
Grand Dragon LA

Total Value of all Non GD Parts: 2,350,000

Total Salvage Value: 44,037,000

That’s a big salvage.

Shared Rights: 22,018,500

Wow. There are a lot of directions we can go with the salvage.

Let me try to get the mechs I want, and see what my value is:

Okay, Spider, Thunderbolt, BattleMaster and Enforcer put us at 17,259,000

What else can I get?

Jenner, Firestarter, and a few body parts to round it out.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #270
Tellistto
College Prospect

Nice haul on the mechs there. Too bad on losing the other mechs in the fights, though.

Tell
Old 08-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #271
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

That's the way life goes sometimes.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #272
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Total Account

Costs:

5,284,000 To fix Firestarter, Jenner, Thunderbolt, Spider, Enforcer and BattleMaster
345,546 upkeep of unit for six months
720,000 for armor
1,340,000 for ammo
1,750,000 to repair Goliath

Total Costs: 9,439,546

Gains:

22,018,500 Salvage
820,401 salary
41,000 remuneration
1,905,000 battle loss compensation

Total Gains: 24,784,901

Net Gain: 15,345,355

Old 08-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #273
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

December 31, 3035 - Kilts company returns to Outreach, and Braham Essex needs to recruit two pilots for their Warhammer and Cataphract.

Before doing that, its time to edit the Cataphract. This is a machine that was used by a Liao governor to victimize his people. I will take it as my personal mech, in order to redeem it. Plus, it’s a Liao heavy design, so it will be an homage to my heritage. Note that the Warhammer variant I am currently rocking is probably a better mech, so let’s see if we can change that with a field refit.

The Cataphract 1X:

70 tons
11 tons of armor
4/6 movement
16 heat sinks
PPC in RA
AC10 in RT
ML in RA
ML in LA
ML in LT, rear
ML in RT, rear
1 ton of AC10 ammo in LT

Now, the armor is low. It could be up to 14 tons, and I’d like to increase it. Also, I prefer for my light mechs to keep opposing light mechs from my back, not fool around with rear facing weapons that you are rarely going to fire. I have no problem with a mech mounting ammunition based weaponry, but I’d like to stock up the section with other things so that there is a lessened chance of explosion.

Changes:

Pull off the rear MLs. This is a change of two degrees. Tick off four weeks of travel time and they are a success.

I then pull off the AC10 and ammo and replace with an LRM20 and three tons of ammo in the LT. Success.

Finally, I pull the ML and PPC from the arms and put them in the RT. Success.

With enough space for two additional tons of armor.

Now my mech has a PPC, LRM20, 2 MLs, a 4/6 movement, and 16 heat sinks with 13 tons of armor.

It takes two months to get it up and running. We took those two months in transport vehicles (you can work in transport).

I pull the dispossessed elite Clyde Naller from Commandos company for the Warahmmer 6D, that was the really good variant I piloted. I transfer the Warhammer 6L variant to Commandos company. They arrive on 1 Jan, 3036.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #274
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The three founding members of Kilts and Commandos go into a room and talk for several hours, making various phone calls to Epsilon Eridani.

Jan 1, 3036 - The Kilts and Commandos mercenary unit has purchased land and taken contracts for the construction of a new headquarters and training academy on Epsilon Eridani. The training academy will be open to all applicants, and give priority to qualified MechWarriors from Epsilon Eridani.

Kilts and Commandos has certified that 25 million CBills have been dispatched for the purchase of land and to initiate building. Lieutenant Ted Izumo has announced that he will step down immediately as leader of the Commandos company in order to oversee construction. In his new role as Headmaster of the Epsilon Eridani Training Academy, he will still be the leader of the Kilts and Commandos garrison.

The government of Epsilon Eridani was quoted as very pleased that one of their favorite sons was “giving back to the planet that gave him so much.” The government has announced that increased trade traffic due to Epsilon Eridani’s new location in the Federated Suns has resulted in new revenues and tariffs, and that the government is willing to add an undisclosed sum to the development of the new training academy.

Kilts and Commandos has unveiled their new flag, which will fly outside their headquarters and in the field. The flag is a crossed gun and sword against a red tartan background.

It’s good to have a local noble and a former prestigious academy trainer as your two closest mates on the unit. We need to replace Ted Izumo as lieutenant of Commandos company. His Stalker is going with him.

Mary McDonnell on the Commandos company is promoted to Sergeant.

Martin Fitzgerald, Awesome MechWarrior in Commandos company is promoted from Sergeant to Lieutenant. The Warhammer that I moved over replaces his mech, but is currently unpiloted. I transfer Edgar Lopez, elite dispossessed MW along with the Warhammer.

We will have to pay ten million every January 1 for the next five years, until it is built. Then we will have to support it with money after that, although dues from the students will defray most of the cost of running the place.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #275
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Time for some contracts:

The Kilts Company:

Offer #1: Marik wants us for an Objective Raid

Offer #2: Capellan Confederation wants us for Security contract

The Marik target is the Duchy of Andurien.

I’m fine taking contracts against the Successor States and attacking former employers is fine by me. House Davion, Liao, Kurita, Marik and Steiner are big enough to deal with it. The Periphery is used to it. But I have some compunction working against the Duchy of Andurien, St. Ives Compact and the Free Rasalhague Republic. These are trying to make it against the big boys, and I have some empathy with them. As someone who no longer has allegiance to one of the Five Great Houses, I have sympathy for their plight.

Therefore, I am issuing an edict to all of the companies of the Kilts and Commandos, and forwarding that to the defense ministries of the Duchy, Republic and Compact. We will not take any contract by any state that involves aggressive military action against them. Now, we might fight defensively. If my troops are garrisoning a world that one of these three states attacks or raids, then my troops will honor the terms of their contract and fight back, but we will not take any contract that aggressively seeks to fight against the FRR, SIC, and DoA.

Therefore I am looking at the security contract for House Liao. Whenever I roll a contract, I ask myself a few questions. Who is the reasonable target for this? Is there anything going on that we could tack onto that fits the descriptions?

A security contract is a short term Garrison contract against a place or person. I cannot imagine the occasionally xenophobic Caps paying any mercenary unit other than McCarron;s Armored Cavalry to protect a valuable person, so we will be protecting a place.

Where? What is going on at the time? Marik is concentrating on restoring the Duchy of Andurien to its control. The Duchy is concentrating on surviving the Marik juggernaut. House Davion is occasionally raiding the Caps, but not in any foreseeable pattern that would require a security contract. The St. Ives Compact and the Caps are regularly raiding, but again, with little knowledge of where or when. Who is left?

The Periphery.

The Caps are continuing to be raided by the Periphery bandits and states. They want us to secure the world of Hurik. Four months there, four month contract, four months back, and no guaranteed battle. That does not sound like fun.

I decide to stick around for an extra month and try to drill up some more contracts.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #276
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Recruits:

Stacy Dutch, Catapult, elite, unassigned
Khalid Hussein, Hermes II, veteran, unassigned
Elijah Kimanzi, elite, dispossessed, unassigned
Madison Jameson, elite, dispossessed, unassigned
Patricia Enckbayar, veteran, Thorn, unassigned
Anita Malfatti, elite, dispossessed unassigned

I order the three dispossessed MWs to wait for Trinity company’s arrival in a couple of months, because they have six salvaged mechs needing new pilots.

The Thorn is a special light mech. It was initially a 2750 era mech, but it has been stripped of any LosTech over the years. It’s a 20 ton mech with four tons of armor, an LRM5, two medium lasers, and 6/9 movement. I like the armor, but I do not like the slow movement for a 20 ton mech. LRM5s are a joke in most scenarios. However, it’s not bad.

The Catapult is a fine fire support mech, as I have established. The Hermes II is a mech we’ve fought against a few times. It is a medium mech, with a 6/9 movement, AC5, medium laser, flamer, 7.5 tons of armor. AC5s are alright, but not great.

I add the Catapult to Kilts company, which could use some a missile boat. The Thorn and Hermes II are assigned to Commandos company.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #277
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Contract Offers for Kilts in February:

Offer #1: Federated Suns, Cadre assignment

Offer #2: Marik, Objective Raid

Marik wants us to hit the Caps. We are to raid the world of Propus. Six jumps from Outreach is one of the rimward most planets in the Capellan Confedeation (closest to Terra, heart of the Inner Sphere Atlas.)

It’s a minor world, but it was hit a couple of years again by some Marik Militia while the Caps were busy fending off attacks from the Duchy of Andurien. The Free Worlds League wants us to hit it again, remind them they are around. The Caps are still consolidating their hold over the worlds taken by the Duchy and Magistracy in the war against them. As such, their defenses are weak, and Marik wants us to land, and destroy a supply depot used to refuel DropShips on planet.

We take it.

We have 110 points.

Salvage. Exchange. 100.

Transport, 50%, 105

Support. 50% Battle Loss Compensation. 70.

Salary. 3.7 modifier. 45.

Length. 2 months. 30.

Remuneration. Yes. 20.

Command. Independent. 10.

5% bonus

We will arrive on Propus on March 23, 3036.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #278
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Commandos Contract:

Offer #1: Capellan Confederation, Obj raid

Offer #2: Dracs, which I take to mean a minor power in the Combine, want us for defensive contract.

I take the Caps Obj Raid. Who and where? They want us to hit Davion. Find by me. Where? Campertown. A border planet that was once Capellan and still has some Liao loyalties. It’s one jump from Propus, ironically. We will arrive on February 19, 3036.

70 points.

Salvage. Exchange. 60.

Salary 3.4. 35.

Support. 50% Battle Loss. 0.

Command. Liaison.

Remuneration. No. 10

Length. 2 months. 0.

Transport. 50%. 5.

2.5% bonus.

Our goal is to land on Campertown and then meet with some loyalists. They will give us local intel on the defending Davion troops and their schedules. Then, when we have that information, we will use it to strike at their outpost on the southern continent. They have a base in the other continents, but the southern one has just an outpost, and it is a hotbed of guerilla activity. They want us to take out the Outpost, so that their activity can increase without a Davion presence in the area.

The troops on planet are a full regiment, so we need to land circumspectly. We arrange for a cargo appearing DropShips and our contacts on-world arrange for us to land at an agricultural DropPort used mainly by farming interests to load and take various foodstuffs off world.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:16 PM   #279
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

February 19, 3036 - Martin Fitzgerald’s Commandos company arrives at the local agricultural DropPort. He meets with a local resistance cell to discus various options. The Davion regiment of mechs are spread among five continents, with four bases and a local outpost. The southern continent is the smallest of the group. They do have vehicles and infantry as adjuncts to their mechs.

Defending the Outpost are two companies of mechs and a company of vehicles, plus some minor infantry assets. However, using their information, when can strike when a company is out on patrol and over an hour away. We have fourteen mechs and two infantry platoons. The best we can get the defenders too is two companies, one half each of mechs and tanks. The only good news is that the Outpost is a low priority for the defenders, so they have not assigned their best mechs or men to the post. However, the pro-Liao forces have agreed to put themselves under our disposal, so we will have an additional six platoons of infantry under our command for the assault.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #280
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A lot of people wonder why Capellan Citizens are so fiercely loyal to the nation when it is the most repressive of the houses. Well, there are many reasons:

1). Freedom of Religion. Of the Successor States, the Capellan Confederation has the loosest restrictions on religion, allowing any religion to practice as long as it does not preach against the state or government. If it does, then the religion is ruled a terrorist cell and taken out with violence.

2). Social Security. The Caps are the only state to grant social security to all citizens.

3). Education. The Caps are the only state to grant free education to all citizens.

4). Health Care. The Caps are the only state to grant free health care to all citizens.

5). Citizenship. Anyone may become a citizen by performing some service for the state or community. Often these include community service projects like making a park, creating a service for the older folks in the community, joining the military or police, and so forth.

6). Free travel. Capellan citizens have the right of free travel within the state and can move and relocate as they wish.

7). Guaranteed Employment. All Cap citizens are guaranteed employment, and are given jobs in their area if they cannot find one on their own. Many Cap citizens are given jobs working in agriculture ot he military-industrial complex, helping to support the state.

There are social classes in the Capellan Confederation based loosely on the castes of olde, but they are mobile castes, with children and adults alike able to move freely from one caste to another, and there is a respect and appreciation even for people in the lowest caste, and they have the rights as do other citizens,.

So yes, the Caps are repressive, with no free press and no free speech against the government, but they are often the only state that cares about its citizenry. Is it any wonder that many citizens who leave want to return?

Old 08-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #281
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Anyway, we just have to hope that we can take out their Outpost with all of their mechs and vehicles. Here we go.

Their forces:

Centurion
Javelin
Valkyrie x2
Enforcer x2
Spider
Atlas
Shadow Hawk
Thunderbolt
Vulcan
Firestarter

Interesting mech mix. Just one assault and one heavy, but a bunch of mediums and lights, with the better light mechs. There are no pushovers like the Locust, Stinger or Wasp in here. I respect the Valkyrie with its LRM10, the Javelin, the Firestarter and the Spider. In the medium mechs, the Enforcers are solid, the Shadow Hawk and Vulcan I have little respect for, and the Centurion is good.

Vehicles

Striker
Patton
Pegasus x2
Hunter x2
Condor x2
Drillson
Packrat
Ontos
LRM Carrier

You might recall Kilts and Commandos having a pair of Ontos assault tanks at the beginning, and I also grabbed the LRM20 equipped Hunter. The LRM Carrier has three LRM20, so their tanks alone have five LRM20s. We need to take that Carrier out as soon as possible.

Alright, we are all ready. Here we go.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #282
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our missile bearing Javelin destroyed the LRM Carrier’s movement system. Their Enforcer misses a kick on my Assassin and falls down. A quick first turn. They set all of the woods I wanted to snipe from on fire. Smart.

On the second turn, our Catapult destroys the LRM Carrier’s right side.

The 3rd turn sees their Atlas blow the RT off our Javelin with the missiles. The RA falls to the ground. Their Enforcer destroys the Javelin;s CT. After taking some missile fire from our Longbow and Catapult, their Atlas falls.

Our new Warhammer destroys the Centurion’s ammo and it lights up. Martin;s Fitzgerald’s Awesome destroys the front section of their Patton Tank.

They’ve opened up the RT on my Catapult, which has LRM ammo in it, so I am going to hop it behind a hill. Then I can launch indirect LRM fire. One of our borrowed infantry destroys a Hunter.

The next turn our Rifleman takes out the final Hunter, another Right Side destruction, like the first Hunter. Their Atlas falls again under another onslaught.

Our Longbow destroys the LT of the Atlas, and its LA falls. Martin Fitzgerald destroys the LS of the Striker Light Tank.

A Condor Hover Tank is set on fire and its LS is destroyed. Their Pegasus tank hit’s a lower leg actuator in our Assassin. Our Catapult ignites the fuel tank in their Ontos and it explodes. One of our borrowed militia destroys the RS of the other Condor. Our Javelin variant and their Vulcan both miss kicks and fall.

The 9th round arrives. I stand up our Jav. Our gyro and engine are hit on the Assassin. Our Panther destroys the LA of their Vulcan. Our other Awesome hit’s the foot and hip of the Atlas. Our Warhammer destroys a Pegasus’s right side. Our Assassin falls. So does their Atlas. The Atlas hits its ammo as it falls and blows up.

After failing to stand up the Assassin, I eject it. Nothing but weapons exchange.

I am out of AC5 ammo on the Rifleman and LRM ammo on the Catapult. One of the militia platoons is killed by their Drillson tank. Our Longbow hit’s the Shadow Hawk’s ammo and it explodes.

Round twelve sees their Enforcer hit my Griffin’s engine twice. Our Longbow, in its final barrage of missiles takes out the RA of their Firestarter and hits its gyro. Our Panther destroys the Thunderbolts LT, and its LA drops to the ground. Martin‘s Awesome hit’s the LL actuator on the Thunderbolt. Our Warhammer destroys a Packrat’s left side. Their Firestarter falls.

I’m going to have to bring my Longbow in to close range with its two medium lasers and try to take out a mech, or possibly take some shots from their weapons and direct fire its way. Their Firestarter falls twice while trying to stand. An Awesome destroys the RA of the Thunderbolt. It falls. Our Catapult kicks the RL off their Spider, and then blows through the RT. It tumbles hard to the ground, missing its entire right side. Our Catapult pilot blacks out after getting punched in the head by the Spider.

Another platoon of the militia falls to their Drillson. Their Spider destroys the RT of the Catapult and its RA falls to the ground. The CT section of the Spider is destroyed by the Javelin variant still standing. Martin;s mech takes out the LA and RL of the Firestarter and falls again. A militia platoon hit’s the hip on the Thuinderbolt. Another platoon of militia infantry is wiped out. Our Catapult, their Tbolt and Firetsarter all fall, and their Firestarter and Tbolt pilots black out.

Our Falcon destroys a Pegasus Hover Tank’s Left Side. Our Warhammer destroys an Enforcer’s LA. Their Enforcer falls. They kick and hit the engine of our Catapult. Then, at the end of the turn they surrender.

Their Thunderbolt and Firestarter are savaged and blacked out. One Enforcer is on the ground. They have just one tank left. The only mechs they have fully functional are a Vulcan (badly damaged), two Valkyries, an Enforcer and their Javelin (damaged). Just some lights, against our Awesomes, Longbow, and a bunch of heavies and lights they didn’t touch.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #283
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage

Spider - RT, RA, RL, CT?

Thunderbolt - hip actuator, RA, LT, LA

Fire starter - LA, RL, RA, gyro

LRM Carrier

Patton Tank

Hunter x2

Condor Heavy Hover Tank

Pegasus x2

Javelin RA
Atlas LA, RA
Thunderbolt LA
Spider RA
Catapult RA

To Repair:

Javelin RT, RA, CT?

Assassin, actuator, gyro, engine

Catapult RA, RT

Griffin 2x engine

Old 08-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #284
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Money Stuff:

Spider: 2,984,000, Normal. 2,160,000, Repair. Current: 824,000
Thunderbolt: 5,413,000, Norm. 755,000 Repair. Cur: 4,658,000
Firestarter: 3,046,000, Norm. 1,350,000, Rep (could not fix gyro). Cur: 1,694,000
LRM Carrier: 1,872,000, Norm. 60,000 Rep. Cur: 1,812,000
Patton Tank: 2,754,000, Norm. 50,000 Rep. Cur: 2,704,000
Hunter: 1,135,000, Norm. 180,000, Rep. Cur: 955,000
Hunter 1,135,000, Norm. 80,000, Rep. Cur: 1,075,000
Condor Heavy Hover Tank: 1,217,000, Norm. 145,000, Rep. Cur: 1,072,000
Pegasus: 841,000, Norm. 60,000, Rep. Cur: 781,000
Atlas, Tbolt, and Spider body parts: 1,150,000

Total Salvage Value: 16,725,000

Shared Salvage: 8,362,500

To Repair Mechs:

900,000 to replace Assassin gyro
360,000 Javelin engine
200,000 Javelin RA and weapons + equipment in section.
560,000 Catapult RT, inc weapons, ammo.

420,000 armor
435,000 ammo

Total Repair Costs: 2,875,000

What do I take?

Thunderbolt
Spider with RA of Spider
LRM Carrier
Hunter Light Support Tank

Cost to fix, rearm and repair all of these vehicles:

Total Costs:

3,095,000 - fix new stuff
2,875,000 - fix old stuff
525,000 transport there
525,000 transport back
210,696 upkeep of unit

Total Gains:

525,000 transport reimbursement
1,437,500 battle loss compensation
179,385 salary
8,362,500 salvage
4,485 bonus

Total Gain: 3,277,674

Current War Chest: 4,862,998

One of the vehicle crews asks to come with us, and we agree (I rolled a 12 on 2d6, which is what I need for house units to join us).

Debra Hadley, regular, assigned to Hunter Light Support Tank.

After destroying their defending forces, we destroy the Davion outpost after allowing our militia Pro-Liao allies to take what supplies from it they need.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 AM   #285
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

April 26, 3036 - Commandos company arrives back on Outreach. Time for some recruiting by Martin Fitzgerald.

Earl Ray Williams, elite, dispossessed. Assigned to Thunderbolt.

I sent the unmanned Spider to the Garrison on Epsilon Eridani, along with the Hunter and LRM Carrier.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #286
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

April 3, 3036 - The Kilts Company lands at Propus. Our assignment is to destroy a supply depot for DropShips respelling on planet. The supplies there would not be of interest to us. This is a simple smash. The Caps are scattered and diffused, so there is a nice opportunity to slide in, strike them, and slide back out.

This should be an easy run. Just one Caps company is guarding the supply depot, but they are veterans, not the normal folks we run up against. Still, we have 15 mechs and some good ones in here. I suspect this will be quick and easy.

Their Garrison:

Catapult
Vulcan
Crusader 3L (LRM10s, SRM4s, and MLs and MGs.)
UrbanMech
Locust
Griffin
Cyclops (90 ton assault mech with LRM10, AC20, 10 tons of armor and otherwise is a relative pushover)
Atlas
Stinger
Blackjack
Wasp 1L (With an SRM4)
Ostroc 2L (a Liao variant with LRM5 instead of SRM4)

Their leader is in the Atlas, and is elite.

We arrive at a minor roadway with some trees and hills around. This is where we will fight.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:53 PM   #287
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I destroy the LA of their Wasp with my Cataphract. Our Centurion falls under damage.

The next turn, our Laser platoon hit’s the engine and gyro on the Locust. Our Archer hit’s the Atlas’s ammo and causes it to explode. Their Cyclops misses a kick and falls down.

Our Spider destroys their Locust’s CT section. Their Locust hit two actuators on the Spider arm.

Their Crusader hit’s the shoulder actuator on our Warhammer. Our Stalker causes the Cyclops’ ammo to blow up and it is destroyed.

Their Blackjack’s weapons hits Adele’s head twice, ringing her bell. Our Warhammer sheers off the Catapult’s head. Our Banshee destroys the Wasps LL. It falls to the ground.

Our Striker takes out the RT of the Wasp. We knock the Urbie and Crusader down to the ground.

Adele destroys the Urbies RA. Our Archers hit’s a pair of leg actuators on the Crusader It and the Ostroc fall. The Ostroc loses its RA in the fall. Our Firestarter punches the Urbie’s LA and destroys it. Adele falls down.

The Wasp tries to get up, falls back down, and destroys its head. Our Firestarter hit’s the Urbie’s engine and gyro twice each and it falls. Our Banshee destroys the LA of their Crusader. Our Phoenix Hawk destroys the RT of their Ostroc. The RA of their Crusader is blown apart by the Stalker. I hit the life support in the head of their Stinger. Our Phoenix Hawk punches the Ostroc and the gyro is hit.

The Caps leave the battlefield. With most of their mechs down, and crippled, they Have no desire for continued resistance. We destroy the supply depot as a matter of course.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #288
Tellistto
College Prospect

Wow, quality win on that go through. Just utter ownage.

Tell
Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #289
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

Locust, CT?, RA
Catapult H
Wasp H, RT, RA, LL
Urbie, engine, gyro x2, RA, LA

Atlas RA
Cyclops LA.

Damage: Spider, two arm actuators

Shared Salvage Values:

Locust: 1,512,000 - Norm. 975,000 - Repair. Current Value - 537,000
Catapult: 5,790,000 - Norm. 665,000 - Repair. Current Value - 5,125,000
Wasp: 1,644,000 - Norm. 720,000 - Repair. Current Value - 924,000
UrbanMech: 1,471,000 - Norm. 220,000- Repair. Current Value - 1,251,000
Arms - 650,000

Total Value: 8,487,000

Half Value: 4,243,500

And this is why I dislike Shared value, because the only mech I want is the Catapult. I don’t want to be burdened with these crappy light mechs.

I take the arms, Locust, Wasp and Urbie and wish I could have gotten the Catapult.

I will sell the Urbie, Wasp and Locust without repairing them. We make 2,350,000 from them, which is a little less than their current value.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 08-20-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #290
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Wow, quality win on that go through. Just utter ownage.

Tell

Yeah, sometimes everything clicks, you know?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #291
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Total Financials:

Costs:

200,000 armor
425,000 ammo
314,875 upkeep
525,000 transport there
525,000 transport back

Gains:

4,243,500 Shared Salvage
2,350,000 Sale of damaged Wasp, Locust, UrbanMech
273,433 salary
13,672 remuneration
13,672 bonus
525,000 transport reimbursement
312,500 battle loss compensation

Total Gain: 5,741,900

Current War Chest: 10,192,808

This was a very quick battle. It was not that hard, nor was it that long.

May 28, 3036 - Kilts company arrives back at Outreach. I order the three damaged mechs we have in storage on Epsilon Eridani (Commando, Ostscout, Stinger) repaired. That costs 3,200,000. Those will be added to our garrison forces there.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #292
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

April 3, 3036 - Trinity company lands on Outreach. They have six extra mechs, but an open spot on the roster. After some consideration, Elizabeth decides to add the Thunderbolt they salvaged to her roster, and not the better mech, the BattleMaster. Then the BattleMaster can be used in another unit.

Elizabeth Smythe makes a recruiting roll to find a MechWarrior for her company.

Bonita Endicia, elite, dispossessed assigned to the Thunderbolt.

The Locust on the team is getting replaced by the captured Spider.

The remaining five mechs (BattleMaster, Firestarter, Enforcer, Locust, Jenner) are being shipped to the garrison on Epsilon Eridani. We now have nine unmanned mechs and an unmanned vehicle.

Kilts and Commandos has hired an elite level liaison and negotiator who will permanently reside on Outreach and represent all companies in negotiations, instead of having each company have their own negotiator. This is an upgrade over the normal veteran ones we had, and will be paid for out of Kilts company’s salaries.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #293
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Contracts:

Offer #1: ComStar wants us for a garrison contract. No thanks

Offer #2: The Lyran Commonwealth wants us for a defensive contract. They enjoyed our run on Galatea, and now Trinity Company is being asked to perform a delaying action in the Isle of Skye.

I take the Lyran contract, to go to Zollikofen, home of many mining interests and companies. Located in the Isle of Skye region of the Lyran Commonwealth, this planet features deep veins of gold, platinum, silver, vanadium, bauxite and titanium. Three of the largest mining companies in the Inner Sphere have their headquarters in the Zollikofen system.

Because of the industrial value of Zollikofen, and its place just two jumps from the Draconis Combine and Terra, it warrants a large number of defending troops. Some are private garrisons and mercenaries contracted to the mining interests on planet. There is also a regiment of Lyran troops garrisoning the planet. However, due to the economic value of the planet, Isle of Skye dissidents have targeted it for decades. As such, there are a large contingent of independence movement assets on planet.

The Lyran troops on planet are largely used to garrison various fortresses and other defensive points. They do not have the mobility that a small agile unit like Trinity Company has.

One of the smallest continents on planet was once bombarded by nuclear attacks during the First Succession War, destroying the Star League era mint. Now the mining interests have moved on, and it makes a perfect spot for the independence movement to use as a base. The Lyrans are afraid that if they dispatch too many units to the area, that the dissidents will strike their outposts.

They do not know how many dissident units are in the small continent, or what they are. Therefore, our job is to land on the continent, then investigate the area, get some reliable intel, fight some harassing and delaying battles, and then support the Sixth Lyran Guards when they land on planet six weeks after we arrive.

Zollikofen is just three jumps away. However, Elizabeth decides to pull an asset out of the warehouse on Epsilon Eridani. The Boomerang Spotter Plane should arrive a week after we do.

Quickly:

Full Salvage: 67
Independent Command: 57
Transport 50%. 62
Remuneration, Yes. 52
Support: 50% Battle Loss. 17
Salary: 3.0. 2
Length: 3 months. 2
1% bonus

Old 08-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #294
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Since we will be operating for six weeks without any support, Elizabeth purchases several support vehicles for help in the field. They are:

4 J-27 Ordinance Transports 248,000
1 Coolant Truck 212,000
1 Engineering Vehicle 462,000
4 Savannah Master Hovercraft 368,000
4 Swift Wind Scout Car 208,000
2 Ferret Light scout VTOL 94,000
1 BattleMech Recovery Vehicle 382,000

Total Cost : 1,974,000

Current War Chest: 4,195,201

The Savannah Master Hovercraft are very fast, barely armored scout hovercrafts with a medium laser as armament and 13/20 speed. The Swift Wind Scout Car is a light five ton barely armored car to scout places that the Savannah Master can’t get to because of its hoverness. The Swift Winds have a movement of 10/15. Then we have two Ferret Light Scout VTOLs, also five tons, with a movement of 15/23 and a cargo capacity of a ton, plus a machine gun and a half ton of ammo.

The BattleMech Recovery Vehicle is a 50 ton 6/9 vehicle with carrying capacity of 10 tons. It has very little armor. Coolant Trucks can inject coolant into mechs and drop their heat down. They can go on the battlefield, but are best used after battle to cool down overheated mechs.

The Engineering Vehicle is for the repair of mechs. The Recovery Vehicle can carry some items, like arms and legs, while towing mechs. The Engineering Vehicle along with various techs are what actually do some repairs.

Normally, we’d use various buildings and equipment on the DropShip or planet for our uses, but since we are out here on our own, it was important to buy these items. The vehicles are not meant to be used in combat, even though some, like the Savannah Master and Ferret may have weapons.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #295
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

April 27, 3036 - We land in Zollikofen. A naval transport vessel carries us to the small continent where independence movement is based. Our mechs are hoisted to the continent, and the naval vessel leaves. We have several ton size crates of supplies, carried on the J-27s and several other support vehicles on loan from the Lyrans, which includes some support staff.

Elizabeth Smythe orders all scouting units to immediately continue to scour the area for enemies. The Savannah Masters dash along the shoreline, checking the coast. The Swift Winds dash into the nearby hills and investigate. The Ferrets fly over some thick woods to the southwest, covering ground faster than mechs or vehicles would, using various sensors such as magnetic one to sense any possible enemies in the wood.

The Thunder lance has also moved out. The Ostscout, Cicada, Spider and Phoenix Hawk spread out, each taking different corners. Except for the Phoenix Hawk, they all have a movement of 8/12, making their scouting speed almost as good as some of the vehicles we are employing.

Elizabeth Smythe hears the roar of jet engines overhead and spies the conventional fighters that were launched from garrisons on the next continent over. They scouted out the beachhead to make sure it was safe for Trinity Company to land, and now they are heading home, sine no bogies have been spotted.

As their contrails move across the sky, suddenly fire rings out from deep in the woods, ahead of the Ferrets. Autocannon fire ripples into the sky, and nearly hits one of the local fighters. Elizabeth orders the Ferrets to apply full speed to avoid being hit, and orders the scout lance to redirect. She keeps the other scout units out, using them as a detection device to prevent being surrounded or ambushed from another direction.

The Mag sensors in Ferret detect four large mech-sized distortions in the canopy below, and Lieutenant Smythe orders them to return. Thunder lance arrives just ten minutes later, but they are gone. There are numerous trails and dirt roads in the area, and Thunder lance suspects that the Isle of Skye dissidents used the area for something, but no buildings or anything of interested can be gleaned from the site. Due to the regular disturbance of the area, we cannot figure which way the enemy mechs went.

Trinity company’s arrival has been noticed.

Lieutenant Smythe punches up the electronic map of the region. As had been discussed with others, she is deciding to use an old abandoned mining complex as a temporary base. It is twelve klicks from here. She orders the Ferrets to scout along the way there, and for the support vehicles to convoy up, with Anvil and Hammer lances in various positions around the convoy as it moves to the mining complex up the hills. The recon units are ordered to move parallel with the convoy, while the Thunder Lance is kept hidden in the hills and trees to the rear of the convey as a combat reserve or extra help in the rear guard.

Trinity company reaches the mining complex with a minimum of effort, and no enemies are sighted along the way. Recon units are sent out around the complex, while the Engineering Vehicle is used to help fix up the place. There are two ways in and out, which leaves an escape open in case the complex is overwhelmed. There is an old road that has ceased being paved long ago, and cuts a wide smooth dirt swath through the hills. The second exit is a natural cut in the hills to the east of the mining complex, through which is a long, twisted valley. You can reach the complex either by road or by valley. Or by air.

After a few hours of preparing the complex for habitation and removing a few centuries of dirt, a Swift Wind reports sighting a full company of scout oriented mechs coming down the valley. The Ferrets confirm spotting a full company of light and medium mechs. They appear to be moving cautiously, until one spots a Ferret and fires at it. With that, several other mechs begin to fire at the Ferret, and Smythe orders them both away. It takes a few minutes for Trinity company to move out, but by the time they arrive in the valley, the enemy mechs have gone. The Ferrets locate them klicks away, since they are fast, they can move faster than Trinity company, and Smythe does not want to send four fast mechs after 12 fast mechs - that’s bad math.

Pulling back to the complex, Smythe continues to work on preparations.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #296
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

April 29, 3036 - After two days of quiet, night falls. Smythe has all scout units, including Thunder lance, out on rotating duty, with multiple units out at a time. A Savannah Master scouting the road radios that it has found a full company of mechs, not the same company as before, milling around a pair of vehicles. Video of the vehicles arrives and Smythe immediately orders the MechWarriors to suit up and all scout and support personnel into the mine. Those are mobile Long Tom Batteries. Long Toms are one of several artillery pieces that are in the game. Unfortunately, MegaMek is not designed to handle them well (it can, and it has been modified by MekWars to be pretty good at it).

In just a short moment, the screech of artillery shells is heard in the air, and they land near the main complex building. Without hesitation, Smythe orders her mechs to warm up, and charge the position held by the Long Toms.

The Enemy:

Vulcan
Locust 1S
Phoenix Hawk
Firestarter
Victor
Hatchetman
Commando
Banshee 3S
Stalker
Crusader
Archer 2S
Locust

They have three assaults and two heavies.

The 1S Locust has a pair of SRM2s and a Medium Laser. The 2S Archer downgrades the LRM20s to LRM15s, and adds a pair of SRM4s. The Banshee 3S is a severe threat, unlike the other Banshees. By downgrading the engine to a 3/5 movement, it has two PPCs, an AC10, four medium lasers, two small lasers and an SRM6, 15 tons of armor, and 21 total heat sinks.

Their experience level runs the gamut from green to three elite pilots, as a haphazardly built unit might suggest. Elites are in the Locusts and Phoenix Hawk while vets are in the Victor and Hatchetman. The only green pilot is in the Archer, which is a bit of a break.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #297
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

So, here we go.

My main targets if they come available are the Commando, Banshee, Crusader and Archer, in that order. The Commando has a large amount of weapons for its size, and not much armor, so it is good to take them out when they expose themselves, and since they do not jump, that is regular.

We blast the armor off their Stalker who exposes itself on the first turn. The new Thunderbolt hit’s the hip and lower leg actuators in the Stalker, which falls as a result.

One Trebuchet blows the LL off the Stalker but it doesn’t fall, it never tried to get up. Our Atlas destroys the LT and LL of their Locust, the normal one. Our Hatchetman destroys the RT of the Commando with the RA falling off. Their Locust falls and takes damage.

The following turn sees our Ostsol take out their damaged Locust by destroying its CT. Our Cicada destroys the RA of their Archer. Their Archer tumbles.

Their Archer arises. Then its RL is blown off by a Trebuchet. It falls again. Our Atlas opens up the Banshee’s head, and hit’s the life support. Our Ostscout hits its hip actuator. Our Hatchetman destroys the Commando’s CT. The Banshee falls too, and both the Banshee and Archer pilots black out.

Their Stalker tries to stand up, and falls, the pilot blacks out. Our Victor aims at and destroys the Archer’s H. Our Thunderbolt ran up and destroyed the Banshee’s head. Their Victor hits our Victor’s ammo bin and it explodes. Our Cicada destroyed their variant Locust’s RT and RA.

The next turn our Catapult destroys the Phoenix Hawk’s RT and its RA falls to the ground. The Hatchetman hit’s the Crusader’s ammo and it explodes. Our Ostsol tacks the gyro and engine of their Phoenix Hawk. It definitely tumbles.

With half of their mechs gone, and their Phoenix Hawk savaged, they call it and begin to leave. I order our mechs to destroy their long tom artillery rather than let it go. We lost our Victor, but we recovered five mechs, including two assaults and a heavy.

Elizabeth Smythe orders the area secured with the combat units setting up a perimeter. The support units begin to move in, collecting the mechs and pieces. A short while later, armor and ammo have been reattached to the mechs. Where possible, Elizabeth has ordered the armor stripped off the salvaged mechs to replace the damaged armor, instead of using our limited supply.

The techs strip the parts and salvaged mechs of their spare ammunition and use that instead of our supply when available. With the room freed up by using armor and ammo from our transports, we put the extra ammo from the salvaged mechs that was not immediately used.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #298
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

Locust: LA, LL, LT, CT?
Commando - LT, LA, CT?
Archer - H, RL, RA
Banshee - H
Stalker - LL

Locust LA
Commando LA
Victor RA
Phoenix Hawk RA
Crusader LA

Total Cost:

100,000 armor (17 tons used, 10 of it our own)
430,000 ammo (13 tons used, 8 of it our own)

Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #299
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

May 4, 3036 - Elizabeth has finished hiding the salvaged mechs and parts in one of the hundreds of old mine shafts in these hills. Our foes should not be able to find them with any sensors. We were not contracted to sit here on this mining complex for three months, establishing a foothold in the area. Instead, we are to locate the enemy and keep them busy while Lyran troops are en route.

Now that the salvage has been fully stripped and stored, and the mechs are fixed from damage, and the base is fully operational as a fallback position, Elizabeth orders the Trinity company to begin moving again, this time down into the valley. Recon units are established, while supply vehicles are in the middle and combat assets protect them.

As the convoy continues, a Ferret spots a lance of mechs to the west, just over the ridge and down a ways. Instead of ordering the entire company to change gears, she orders the Thunder Lance to advance and engage. That way, if it is a trap, they can return quickly and the main assest are still with the supply vehicles.

Engagement arrives.

Their lance:

Phoenix Hawk
Firestarter
Locust 1S
Vulcan

Four mechs from the company that we engaged before, and their Phoenix Hawk is repaired from the battle. As a reminder, our Thunder Lance is a Phoenix Hawk, Ostscout, Spider and Cicada. Rememebr that their Locust and Phoenix Hawk have elite pilots.

This battle will last four rounds before the enemy disengages.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #300
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We are fighting by an old industrial building of some sort.

The first round we position ourselves and exchange fire.

Our Ostscout blows the LA off their Locust and then hits its engine and gyro. It manages to stay standing. Our Spider misses a kick and falls. (Needed a 7 to kick, failed, fell on just a 2 on 2d6 and rolled it)

The Spider arises and runs behind a small ridge. Their Phoenix Hawk opens up the LL of our Cicada and smashes the hip actuator. Anna Cafencelli manages to keep the mech standing.

The 4th and final round arrives. Our Cicada falls while running. Our Ostscout hit’s the lower leg actuator of their Phoenix Hawk and it falls again.

As their Phoenix Hawk begins to fall, suddenly heat spikes can be seen on our sensors in the nearby warehouse. Apparently, some vehicles or mechs are being warmed up. Thunder Lance’s sergeant Orpah Jones radios Elizabeth Smythe, who orders our mechs to retreat. As they do, they hear smashing sounds as someone comes crashing out of the warehouse.