Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #551
QuikSand
lolzcat

FWIW, James is now playing up the super-humbled routine, and declaring all his japes to have been kayfabe, which I buy.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:22 PM   #552
QuikSand
lolzcat

Maybe 39/50 here? Mrs Q thinks she got 42. I spit the bit on two gettable questions, per usual.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #553
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Maybe 39/50 here? Mrs Q thinks she got 42. I spit the bit on two gettable questions, per usual.

I'm so much better yelling out answers during the show than I am on the damn test.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #554
QuikSand
lolzcat

Old 09-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #555
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good to see. I was a bit worried when I clicked on the thread.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #556
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A trial run to make sure that it works.

And an opportunity for the transition to be as smooth, seamless, and classy as possible when it happens.

Smart.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #557
Butter
Coordinator

What do we think about KJ so far?
Old 01-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #558
QuikSand
lolzcat

I feel like Ken is very practiced, and it shows. That's sort of a "don't lose the game" quarterback... he's Alex Smith on two legs. He is absolutely up to the job, and would be perfectly fine, and likely would evolve into the job given the chance. He's fine.

That said, as I have been actively avoiding the contentious side of social media of late, I confess I have mostly missed the recent dustup over his tweeting and associations... Mrs Q says he has all but been shelved as a contender for the long term gig, because of that stuff. If so, and he has truly been Milkshake Duck-ed, I would have been crushed a year ago, but after seeing what it's actually like... maybe a bit less so.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:14 AM   #559
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I admit to thinking that having the guy who gave us Reading Rainbow as kids end up being the guy who gives us Jeopardy into our golden years is pretty cool.

Don't know if LaVar is the best choice. But he is my sentimental choice.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:16 AM   #560
Jas_lov
College Starter

Ken has been good. Anyone will need some time to get acclimated and find their own voice. I hope those tweets don't cost Ken the job if that's what they choose. He's apologized and he's current on another show, The Chase, with Brad and Jamie.

I saw Aaron Rodgers will be a guest host. That should be fun.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #561
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What tweets?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:01 AM   #562
JPhillips
General Manager

I think KJ has the toughest job, coming right after Alex. As QS said, he's very practiced, but he seems nervous and a little too planned at this point. I'm sure he'd grow into the job, though.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:10 AM   #563
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I saw Aaron Rodgers will be a guest host. That should be fun.

Given how many commercials Rodgers does, I must be one of the few people who still remembers the Ryan Braun crap and how they lied about that dude who had Braun's sample and essentially ruined the guy's reputation to save Braun. I'm sure Rodgers believed his good buddy and was only partially to blame, but that has always left a sour taste in my mouth for the guy. Perhaps if he hadn't gone all in on destroying the guy I'd feel differently. I think he's great and all, but I root against him whenever I have the chance. I hope he bombs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #564
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
What tweets?

Literally the only one I've seen quoted was "nothing sadder than a hot person in a wheelchair".
Old 01-13-2021, 10:36 AM   #565
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Given how many commercials Rodgers does, I must be one of the few people who still remembers the Ryan Braun crap and how they lied about that dude who had Braun's sample and essentially ruined the guy's reputation to save Braun. I'm sure Rodgers believed his good buddy and was only partially to blame, but that has always left a sour taste in my mouth for the guy. Perhaps if he hadn't gone all in on destroying the guy I'd feel differently. I think he's great and all, but I root against him whenever I have the chance. I hope he bombs.

Also not a fan.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:49 PM   #566
Ksyrup

I can't stand Dr. Oz and got pissed when I realized he was going to host, and I still don't think he is worthy of representing what this show is all about, but I think he's done a really good job hosting from the 2 shows I've seen this week.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #567
Jas_lov
College Starter

I don't like Oz. He's been the worst guest host. Katie Couric was good. Mike Richards ok. Ken still has the job.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:10 PM   #568
Ksyrup

Every time I see Mike Richards I just think of him hosting Beauty and the Geek a decade ago.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #569
QuikSand
lolzcat

I feel like Richards was almost like he came out of a factory set to "game show host." Vaguely handsome, vaguely pleasant, vaguely likeable. I guess that's fine. He's not awful.

Couric had a stall that bothered me, and felt forced.

Oz has a natural cadence that I like (despite not liking him) but I think he pushes in a little too much "flavor." It's a subtle thing I don't like.

I don't think we have yet seen a permanent new host.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:22 AM   #570
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Is LaVar Burton still in the mix?
Old 03-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #571
cuervo72
Head Coach

Richards felt a little too...non-organic to me too. Just not quite right, a little "this is how a game show host is supposed to look and act" for me. Didn't feel natural.

I liked Ken, but I don't think it's his gig long-term.

Couric was too soothing if anything for me. I need there to be a little tension, a little excitement to get my mind going. Katie Couric is anti-tense.

I don't think any of them have quite had the incorrect response...response correct. Not emphatic enough, not enough variety. Don't ask "no??" tell us no.

Haven't gotten to the Oz episodes, but yeah, he's a quack.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:57 AM   #572
JPhillips
General Manager

I thought Richards was just there because of COVID travel restrictions. I didn't think he was actually in the running to be the host.

I ended up really liking Jennings, but I wonder if his past with the show ends up being too much of an obstacle.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:10 AM   #573
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Richards felt a little too...non-organic to me too. Just not quite right, a little "this is how a game show host is supposed to look and act" for me. Didn't feel natural.

I liked Ken, but I don't think it's his gig long-term.

Couric was too soothing if anything for me. I need there to be a little tension, a little excitement to get my mind going. Katie Couric is anti-tense.

I don't think any of them have quite had the incorrect response...response correct. Not emphatic enough, not enough variety. Don't ask "no??" tell us no.

Haven't gotten to the Oz episodes, but yeah, he's a quack.

agreed with all this, especially the correct way to handle a wrong answer... it's weird, but that is the triple axle of the program (or whatever is the correct analogy)... reading the questions you can practice, but saying "nope" or "lol nah" or whatever is where you earn your money, oddly enough.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #574
Butter
Coordinator

Richards isn't in the running, Couric doesn't want to long-term host the show, no way they choose Oz, so unless it's Ken we definitely haven't seen the perma-host yet.

Last edited by Butter : 03-26-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #575
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Oz has a natural cadence that I like (despite not liking him) but I think he pushes in a little too much "flavor." It's a subtle thing I don't like.

Mostly agree with this, though he seems (at least having watched the first week) to sometimes go along fine and then all of a sudden randomly RAMP THE INTENSITY UP TO 14 and then go right back down. I liked that there was more of an edge than Couric, but sometimes went a bit too far.

I don't think he has had a good rapport with the contestants during the interviews.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #576
QuikSand
lolzcat

Aaron Rodgers' Jeopardy guest-host debut: promising!

I'm not buying this myself... I felt if graded on a "non professional entertainer" scale he did very, very well... but in open competition he was a bit stiff and vanilla. Not an embarrassment by any stretch, just not any sort of standout. I'm glad he's not awful, but it's still just a novelty thing. Good for him.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #577
Kodos
Resident Alien

Turns out it is hard to replace a legend.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #578
QuikSand
lolzcat

In J! circles, this is "shots fired" time... lol i love this schtick

Old 04-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #579
Jas_lov
College Starter

Rodgers was good but his voice is too monotone. Maybe he'll loosen up in later episodes. The FJ response about the field goal was funny.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #580
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hey, if Rolf Benirschke can be a successful host...

(Wait, what's that? Oh. Never mind.)
Old 04-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #581
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Rodgers was good but his voice is too monotone. Maybe he'll loosen up in later episodes. The FJ response about the field goal was funny.

Agreed on the monotone. He had a Shaq vibe to his voice (without the mumbling). Although I'd rather listen to him like that then like Joe Namath's Medicaid shtick.

Also, I don't like the guy to begin with, but I think a necessary ingredient to a good Jeopardy host is that they are (or at least seem to be, by reputation) smart enough people that you believe they know the answers. It's essential to when they give a "no that's wrong" answer. SNL famously made fun of Trebek's sometimes condescending responses. With Rodgers, I don't believe he knows 10% of the answers and in fact, on one of the responses he actually admitted he'd never heard of whatever it was. That's the wrong way to build rapport with the contestants. He's not one of them.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #582
JPhillips
General Manager

But it would be perfect if Rodgers left the NFL to be the Jeopardy host.

What is, that's what you deserve for drafting a QB instead of someone that actually played.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:47 PM   #583
Ksyrup

That loses a lot of its sting considering Rodgers' draft history.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #584
cuervo72
Head Coach

Is it me, or has the writing been uneven lately? I feel like there have been more questions that are either inadequately pinned, poorly worded, or just fell flat this season.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #585
Kodos
Resident Alien

Rodgers would be better if he wasn't constantly trying to get players to ring in too early with his cadence.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #586
QuikSand
lolzcat

Handled perfectly, imo

Old 04-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #587
Butter
Coordinator

Rodgers looks like a kid showed up to school photo day, I can't get over his "cleaned up" look vs his "I just played a football game" look
Old 04-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #588
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't know if the Jeopardy host thing will work for Rodgers. But he's shown enough that I think that he can have a post-NFL media career that goes beyond pre-game show host.

I could easily see him improving with some more TV reps and ending up with a Michael Strahan type thing where he becomes a fixture on one of the big morning/daytime TV shows.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 04-14-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #589
Kodos
Resident Alien

I wonder if Peyton Manning would be a good host. He’s got a good sense of humor that might play well.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #590
Ksyrup

To me, Manning has a far better personality and delivery than Rodgers to work solo. Rodgers seems too monotone, and he's got a "straight guy" (as in a 2-man comedy schtick meaning) personality that would work far better in tandem with a more outgoing co-host. He comes off more like a Bud Abbott-type.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #591
cuervo72
Head Coach

You know who might be a good host? Joe Buck.

/ducks
Old 04-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #592
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh hey

Joe Buck to guest host 'Jeopardy'
Old 04-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #593
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Anderson Cooper has the next two weeks. I have a feeling it is his job if he wants it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:15 PM   #594
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Anderson Cooper has the next two weeks. I have a feeling it is his job if he wants it.

I can't believe he'd leave CNN for it, but I always did like him as the host of The Mole.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:16 AM   #595
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I can't believe he'd leave CNN for it, but I always did like him as the host of The Mole.
I loved The Mole. I wish it had taken off. I was wondering the same thing about CNN, but would he have to leave? They can tape many Jeopardy episodes in one day. Considering guys like Michael Strahan and Ryan Seacrest can have 10 different jobs goingn at the same time, I wonder if Anderson couldn't do both?
Old 04-20-2021, 06:35 AM   #596
JPhillips
General Manager

The bigger problem would be the unpredictability of the news. There are times when his CNN job requires him to pack up and go on location for days. That seems incompatible with being Jeopardy host.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #597
cuervo72
Head Coach

Cooper has 60 Minutes, too.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #598
GrantDawg

Jeopardy films two days a week, five episodes a day. Anderson takes two weeks off (or more, like a month during the summer) all the time. Time would not be a factor for Anderson to do both.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #599
JPhillips
General Manager

Unless there's a national news story during those two weeks. It's just too unpredictable to do both.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:29 PM   #600
GrantDawg

When he is on vacation now, he doesn't always come back.