Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #8801
RainMaker
General Manager

Dark Side of the Ring is back this week.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #8802
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Dark Side of the Ring is back this week.

Watching the 1st episode about Pillman is up on youtube, watched it last night, what a disturbed and fascinating individual.

Edit to add link
https://youtu.be/NS25e3DZAU0

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-03-2021 at 04:14 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #8803
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One of the most compelling characters the business has seen in several decades. And quite likely the last person who legit scared me when I met him.

Rest in peace.

ECW Original New Jack Passes Away - Wrestling Inc.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #8804
BYU 14
Coordinator

Oh damn, he was definitely one of a kind and took years off his own life to entertain the fans. Sucks, R.I.P
Old 05-14-2021, 10:46 PM   #8805
PilotMan
Head Coach

I just watched his DS Episode. It was disturbing in so many ways.

Check out the first comment on this article on a page I follow.

https://www.facebook.com/prowrestlin...50877221767092

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:04 AM   #8806
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Check out the first comment on this article on a page I follow.

https://www.facebook.com/prowrestlin...50877221767092

Among other things he was a heat machine.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #8807
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
One of the most compelling characters the business has seen in several decades. And quite likely the last person who legit scared me when I met him.

Rest in peace.

ECW Original New Jack Passes Away - Wrestling Inc.

Perhaps because he was in a business where people pretend to hurt each other, while he was trying to actually kill people.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #8808
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Perhaps because he was in a business where people pretend to hurt each other, while he was trying to actually kill people.

Up close, one on one (well, me + him + one guy who I'm thankful knew both of us and could vouch for me) ... you couldn't help but feel like his character was a toned down version of his reality.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:36 PM   #8809
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well, WWE has a new runner-up to worst idea on screen since Mae Young giving birth.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:33 AM   #8810
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, WWE has a new runner-up to worst idea on screen since Mae Young giving birth.
That is a REALLY REALLY REALLY high bar
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #8811
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

The voodoo doll Alexa Bliss or the guy who has zombies as his stable? Going to have to be more specific these days!
Old 05-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #8812
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The voodoo doll Alexa Bliss or the guy who has zombies as his stable? Going to have to be more specific these days!

Zombies eating Miz
Old 05-20-2021, 07:30 AM   #8813
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well that's a helluva wrinkle in things I didn't see coming

Will Ospreay To Vacate IWGP World Heavyweight Title Due To Neck Injury | Fightful News
Old 05-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #8814
RainMaker
General Manager

The pandemic has not been kind to New Japan.

Velveteen Dream released by WWE. I really haven't followed the allegation stuff, but what a huge fall. Two years ago I would have pegged this guy to be one of the stars of the company in the future. Freakish athlete who was getting real good in the ring and played his gimmick to perfection.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #8815
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

The only thing surprising to me about the Velveteen Dream release was that it didn't happen 2 years ago.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #8816
RainMaker
General Manager

Pretty good AEW show. Interesting to see with a full crowd who is over. Hangman still ridiculously over and probably the future of the company. Was also nice to see how over Eddie Kingston was. Just cool to see a guy with his career finally get put in the spotlight like this. They probably should have done a title change for the tag titles tonight.

Also not sure if Jungle Boy is over or just that theme. But what a reaction.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #8817
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Pretty good AEW show. Interesting to see with a full crowd who is over. Hangman still ridiculously over and probably the future of the company. Was also nice to see how over Eddie Kingston was. Just cool to see a guy with his career finally get put in the spotlight like this. They probably should have done a title change for the tag titles tonight.

Also not sure if Jungle Boy is over or just that theme. But what a reaction.

That's a very interesting thought for sure. For the last year, the companies have been able to book the wrestlers in the way they've wanted, without any input from the fans. It's Vince's dream. Now we're starting to find out if those pushes were the right ones, and if the storytelling of the past year has helped or hurt wrestlers.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #8818
BYU 14
Coordinator

Agree on the tag titles, the YB are just not all the company (I.E themselves) think they are IMO.

I have never gotten them and their ridiculous choreography, that is just a hodgepodge of all the cool stuff they can do with no tie in at all to match flow/psychology.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #8819
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Agree on the tag titles, the YB are just not all the company (I.E themselves) think they are IMO.

I have never gotten them and their ridiculous choreography, that is just a hodgepodge of all the cool stuff they can do with no tie in at all to match flow/psychology.

I disagree with you about the Young Bucks. I'm so tired of watching the WWE tag team formula, it's literally the same match over and over again. It's stuck in the 80's, with the good guy getting beaten up, the hot tag, etc.

When you watch AEW or ROH tag team matches, including the Young Bucks, the formula is different. It's not always perfect, but they're at least trying to innovate. So to me, it's at least worth watching and not a fast forward like most WWE tag matches are.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #8820
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I disagree with you about the Young Bucks. I'm so tired of watching the WWE tag team formula, it's literally the same match over and over again. It's stuck in the 80's, with the good guy getting beaten up, the hot tag, etc.

When you watch AEW or ROH tag team matches, including the Young Bucks, the formula is different. It's not always perfect, but they're at least trying to innovate. So to me, it's at least worth watching and not a fast forward like most WWE tag matches are.

I would really like something in between though and I think ROH does it better than AEW right now. I did enjoy Omega and Page as tag champs.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #8821
RainMaker
General Manager

Moxley and Kingston had been on the losing end of stuff with the Elite for awhile now and thought it would be a nice bump for them to win it. Especially since all the heels were winning their title matches. You could always have the Bucks win it back a month down the road too. After that match, I don't think many people would be upset to see that feud continue for awhile.

The tag division just doesn't seem to have a good babyface team that would warrant the Bucks getting their comeuppance. Maybe they'll put Page and Cage together for awhile.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #8822
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
. Maybe they'll put Page and Cage together for awhile.

From your mouth to the bookers ears, that would be nice, but you know Cage will feud with team Taz next, most likely Hobbs.

I don't know what the hell they are doing with Lance Archer, but he needs a much better push than he is getting. How about Archer and Page?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #8823
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

https://cultaholic.com/posts/braun-s...JH1TWKJPzfA7OY

Quote:
Several WWE Superstars have been released today.

In a statement wishing them all the best with their future endeavours, WWE announced Braun Strowman, Aleister Black, Murphy, Lana, Ruby Riott and Santana Garrett have all been let go.

Considering Black just redebuted 2 weeks ago, I got next to nothing.

It would seem that creative and upper management (spelled Kahn at this point apparently) are not communicating on the intentions of the latter
Old 06-02-2021, 11:16 AM   #8824
molson
General Manager

This and other things make it look like they are gearing up for a sale.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #8825
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
This and other things make it look like they are gearing up for a sale.

Dunno if it's that or if the board is simply more actively in control now

New additions to the board yesterday included their Kahn, Steve Koonin (Atlanta Hawks CEO, former Turner Broadcasting exec), and Connor Schell (former head of content for ESPN)

And two new hires that actually work on stuff announced yesterday both came over from DAZN.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #8826
RainMaker
General Manager

Most make sense. They aren't as interested in the wrestling aspect so guys like Black and Murphy who are great in the ring don't carry much weight in the company.

Really shocked at Braun Strowman being let go. The guy won a championship at Wrestlemania last year (and a fairly prominent match this year). And while he is green in the ring, you don't come across guys that size too often. No clue how they botched that so bad.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:11 PM   #8827
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Most make sense. They aren't as interested in the wrestling aspect so guys like Black and Murphy who are great in the ring don't carry much weight in the company.

Really shocked at Braun Strowman being let go. The guy won a championship at Wrestlemania last year (and a fairly prominent match this year). And while he is green in the ring, you don't come across guys that size too often. No clue how they botched that so bad.

Interesting report from Fightful, says that outsiders are surprised by the release of Strowman but that the roster isn't, as he was on a 7-figure deal and that other works felt that the size of his contract made him vulnerable.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #8828
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe I’m completely crazy and I know it isn’t going to happen.....but I’d love to see what Braun could make happen in Japan.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:35 AM   #8829
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I would really like something in between though and I think ROH does it better than AEW right now. I did enjoy Omega and Page as tag champs.

The Omega/Page vs. Young Bucks match last year caught me by surprise as I hadn't read about it before watching it. I was mind blown at how it held my attention, and then I looked online and saw how highly it was rated. I don't remember the last time a tag team match had me that invested. So I give props to both teams for that.

I really enjoyed the Page / Omega run, with all the tension between them, somehow they would come together during the matches and kick ass, it was really entertaining.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #8830
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I would love to get into a current product that is consistently entertaining with a good blend of in-ring action and story telling.

I was watching NXT semi-regularly back from around the first TakeOver to TakeOver Dallas, so say early 2014 to early 2016.

I've never watched any AEW or New Japan, outside of seeking out the odd match here and there.

Is there anything currently out there?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #8831
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I would love to get into a current product that is consistently entertaining with a good blend of in-ring action and story telling.

I was watching NXT semi-regularly back from around the first TakeOver to TakeOver Dallas, so say early 2014 to early 2016.

I've never watched any AEW or New Japan, outside of seeking out the odd match here and there.

Is there anything currently out there?

That's really the strength of NJPW is recent years, though the past year or so has been ... inconsistent.

Whether it suits your taste or not I don't know, but I will say that their stories tend to be long. And I mean looooong. There are cases where stuff plays a role 5-10 years after it occurred. They do the best job in the business at remembering their own continuity.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:15 PM   #8832
sabotai
General Manager

I started watching Dark Side of the Ring a few weeks ago when Vice uploaded a few episodes to Youtube and looked at the list of episodes. When I first saw the episode titled "The Ultra-Violence of Nick Gage", I thought 'I'll skip that since I have no idea who that is'.

Then a friend of mine told me about the episode a few days ago and I just finished watching it now.

Turns out that I did sorta know him. He grew up in the same town I did (the baseball pic they show is from one of the years I played (on another team) so I played baseball against him at some point) and his brother Chris was in the same grade as me. I had no idea Chris became a pro wrestler, and I had no idea he recently killed himself.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #8833
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
That's really the strength of NJPW is recent years, though the past year or so has been ... inconsistent.

Whether it suits your taste or not I don't know, but I will say that their stories tend to be long. And I mean looooong. There are cases where stuff plays a role 5-10 years after it occurred. They do the best job in the business at remembering their own continuity.

I was just getting into NJPW before the pandemic. The product has been kind of off since.

WWE - mostly unwatchable although I'll turn on a PPV now that it is part of Peacock

NXT - kind of sucks now that they changed the format and what it was supposed to be

AEW - probably the best and most accessible at this time. Could be a recency bias as they now have crowds which makes it seem far more entertaining
Old 06-07-2021, 04:57 PM   #8834
BYU 14
Coordinator

Crowds make such a difference, for both viewers in setting an atmosphere and how the wrestlers perform.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #8835
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I was just getting into NJPW before the pandemic. The product has been kind of off since.

WWE - mostly unwatchable although I'll turn on a PPV now that it is part of Peacock

NXT - kind of sucks now that they changed the format and what it was supposed to be

AEW - probably the best and most accessible at this time. Could be a recency bias as they now have crowds which makes it seem far more entertaining

I'm all the way back at November 2020 with my AEW viewing. I'm really enjoying it right now. Pentagon vs. Rey Fenix at the title tournament was amazing. The next week, Pentagon against Kenny Omega was just as good. The Omega / Page tag title reign was amazing. They're starting to build up the Jericho / MJF feud, right now MJF is still trying to join the Inner Circle, but everybody watching knows it's gonna go bad on them. Sadly, I think I just watching Brodie Lee's last match. His TNT title run was short, but I liked how he decimated Cody.

WWE is completely unwatchable. I do try once in a while, and your attention is never paid off. The more you watch, the less it makes sense, since it is short term booked almost episode by episode. WWF-style is also a bad thing, as it prevents innovation. You're basically watching the same wrestling match since the 80's, with some evolution but very little.

NJPW is a show where your attention is strongly rewarded. I can't watch all the shows, but I do enjoy watching the tournaments and the big shows. When I watch the G1 Climax tournament, I'll only watch the actual tournament matches. I know I'm missing storylines, but those tournaments are pretty massive time investments.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #8836
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

NJPW is a show where your attention is strongly rewarded. I can't watch all the shows, but I do enjoy watching the tournaments and the big shows. When I watch the G1 Climax tournament, I'll only watch the actual tournament matches. I know I'm missing storylines, but those tournaments are pretty massive time investments.

I'll endorse this take mostly (as the kid is catching up on Okada vs Takagi as we speak) but with a couple of addendums.

1) The past year or so, the minor shows, the "Road To ..." house shows, etc have become much more optional. I get the reasons for that but as long as you find a spoiler/recap source that's reliable (and there are quite a few) then you can skip those pretty much entirely at this point and still stay current. That probably wasn't quite as true 2,3,4 years ago.

2) G1 -- at least in the traditional format -- is tough for the viewer. There's a lot of awesome but it's an endurance test for fans no doubt. You can fast forward through a lot of the off-night tag matches well enough but I do still recommend watching the finishes & any post-match, cause there's often a lot of storyline advanced / created there. Plus they're meant to be the build for the next round of singles matches.

2b) Also, especially during tournaments & the last couple shows before any major event , the post-match press conferences are frequently very enlightening. They're usually on YouTube within 24 hours, with captions for translation, and really provide a lot more personality than the NJPW format lends itself to for 80-90 percent of the guys.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:21 PM   #8837
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One thing for damned sure: you ever really get into NJPW, you'll be even more frustrated by the shit caliber camera work in the U.S.

There's a sequence in last nights title match that actually used some of their signature camera shots to false finish the viewer (they showed a series of shots that always says they're taking the match home) ... BUT watching the replays the sharp eyed viewer will note one key difference in the usual sequence that actually foreshadowed the eventual outcome.

I didn't explain that very well I fear, but it was cool as hell to realize what they did.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:13 AM   #8838
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
(they showed a series of shots that always says they're taking the match home)
If the WWE did this, they'd get totally crushed for it.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #8839
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Latest WWE releases

Fandango
Ever-Rise (Chase Parker and Matt Martel)
Ariya Daivari
Tony Nese
August Grey
Tyler Breeze
The Bollywood Boyz (Sunil Singh and Samir Singh)
Marina Shafir
Curt Stallion
Arturo Ruas
Killian Dain

I don't know if most viewers will even notice
Old 06-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #8840
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Latest WWE releases

Fandango
Ever-Rise (Chase Parker and Matt Martel)
Ariya Daivari
Tony Nese
August Grey
Tyler Breeze
The Bollywood Boyz (Sunil Singh and Samir Singh)
Marina Shafir
Curt Stallion
Arturo Ruas
Killian Dain

I don't know if most viewers will even notice

Not a lot of significance on the list. I hate to see Dain go, Nese and Daivari can work a bit. This feels like cutting deadweight mostly though.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #8841
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not a lot of significance on the list. I hate to see Dain go, Nese and Daivari can work a bit. This feels like cutting deadweight mostly though.
It also wrecks a good bit of Up Up Down Down
Old 06-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #8842
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It also wrecks a good bit of Up Up Down Down

Yeah, we talked about that here in the batcave.

MY hunch? Woods will eventually be the odd man out. With the intention of pushing Kofi and Big E as singles guys, he may be dangerously close to surplus to needs.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #8843
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
RIP Mr. Wonderful

‘Mr. Wonderful’ Paul Orndorff Passes Away At Age 71 - Wrestlezone
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #8844
BYU 14
Coordinator

Old 07-12-2021, 05:05 PM   #8845
miami_fan
Coordinator

A donation page dedicated to funeral expenses for one of the participants in the main even of the inaugural Wrestlemania makes me feel a kind of way.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:54 PM   #8846
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Credit where it's due, I definitely did not anticipate the surprise appearance that wrapped up tonight's Impact Slammaversary

Spoiler

I believe the number of promotions who had talent appear on the show tonight ended up being 6 in all. Impact is like ... Switzerland.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:22 AM   #8847
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Glad they finally figured out what was ailing him. I'm not a big fan of the guy (or the character, hard to know which is which) but he's critical to NJPW's plans AND I don't wish him anything but good health

Ibushi suffering from aspiration pneumonia, off three NJPW shows
Old 07-23-2021, 06:03 PM   #8848
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm shocked (well, not really) that people are taking the "CM Punk is coming back" nonsense seriously. There ain't a snowball's chance he sets foot in the ring as a competitor - even though he's younger than Bobby Lashley it just isn't happening.

But if it does, I want to be there for the Punk / Colt Cabana deathmatch.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #8849
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm shocked (well, not really) that people are taking the "CM Punk is coming back" nonsense seriously. There ain't a snowball's chance he sets foot in the ring as a competitor - even though he's younger than Bobby Lashley it just isn't happening.

But if it does, I want to be there for the Punk / Colt Cabana deathmatch.

Why do you think he won't? Good money and it sounds like everything would be on his terms.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #8850
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Every company has been willing to give Phil anything and everything he's wanted for a return for 7 years, and he never came back. What's changed between now and 3 months ago? 3 years ago?