Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-03-2023, 05:08 AM   #2551
Edward64
Head Coach

I didn't know (or forgot) that former Hog OC Kendal Briles is now TCU's OC.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:02 AM   #2552
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I have a hard time calling ethics when NIL money is everywhere and there are more players in Division I trying to transfer than could fill all the NFL rosters combined.

This. I don't know how, aside from willfull blindness, anyone can still claim ethics play a significant role in major college football at this point. It seems to me to be something that's mostly used as a bludgeon against coaches/programs we don't like ... we being whoever is doing the talking. There are some people who make good and admirable decisions, but I don't see much difference at all on the baseline level of 'what will you do to win'. Any successful coach should be assumed to be checking their ethics at the door, not because of anything against them personally, but because that's the business they are in. I'm not sure there's a profession which justifies more skepticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I think he's the biggest fraud that the game has ever seen. I wouldn't trust that mfer to coach a pee wee team on Saturday morning at 830a. Literally the biggest example of all hat, zero cattle, to ever exist in the major sports world.

I think that's completely absurd based soley on his record at Jackson State. It's highly debatable how successful he'll be at Colorado, and if he is how much credit he should get for that, but the reasonable bar is a heck of a lot higher than this statement allows.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-03-2023 at 09:04 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:03 AM   #2553
Thomkal
Head Coach

Wasn't quite sure what to think of Coastal's chances this year with the new head coach. They were down a point to UCLA after 3 which is encouraging to then give up 13 points in the 4th to lose 27-13.

They had no running game really no dominant runner and even McCall got held to negative yards on 11 carries. He went 27/41 for 270 yards but was sloppy for him with 2 INT and a lost fumble. Defense was not looking great at the beginning when UCLA went down the field for a TD on its first possession, then looked like they were going again on the second until they were intercepted in the end zone. That same safety had two more INT so that was encouraging. Still not sure what to think of this team until they get into Sun Belt teams.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #2554
bob
College Starter

I had a bunch of indoor projects to work on yesterday, so I had football on all day. Already getting very sick of the "the former Alabama WR" or "the transfer from Ohio St" or whatever. Did every player in college football transfer last year?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 10:40 AM   #2555
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Huskies started a little slow but Penix really found his grove throwing 4 second quarter TDs and our stable of wide receivers could be the deepest in the country. This team is insanely talented. Going to be some really fun match ups this year. We get a true test in 2 weeks when we go to MSU.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 03:56 PM   #2556
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

I think that's completely absurd based soley on his record at Jackson State. .

Bluntly: Buy ( or con) enough players and you can win without coaching at that level. That's worth zero credibility afaic.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:57 PM   #2557
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Bluntly: Buy ( or con) enough players and you can win without coaching at that level. That's worth zero credibility afaic.

If it was that easy everyone would do it....
Old 09-03-2023, 05:26 PM   #2558
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If it was that easy everyone would do it....

I never said Sanders wasn't a good con man.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:33 PM   #2559
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So he'd be a superstar car salesman but he's a POS because he has coach in front of his name?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 06:40 PM   #2560
Ksyrup

First... LOL.

Second... I didn't stick around for the end of the game. What did I miss?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-03-2023, 06:45 PM   #2561
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm rooting for Neon Deion. You may have good/great players but if your HD, OC, DC suck, it won't do any good (source: Texas A&M last year). Sat was a good start, let's see how the rest of season shakes out.

As far as bringing in the talent. I'm all for it just as long as it follows the rules and there is transparency. Not every school has a wealth of in-state HS football talent to recruit, not every school has HS 5* football players in their Top 3, not every school has big boosters that provided plausible deniability to the school etc.

So if a non-power like Colorado has to "buy" talent within the rules, I'm good as it just begins to even out the playing field.

Sam Pittman: Jerry, you still there? Can you help us with ...

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-03-2023 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:58 PM   #2562
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So he'd be a superstar car salesman but he's a POS because he has coach in front of his name?

No, he's just a fraudulent "coach" that's a symptom of what's wrong with college football today.

Hey, they may go 12-0 and he's the greatest thing ever.
What I expect something like 6-6 or 5-7 and that being about the ceiling for a program under his "tutelage" if they play a schedule that's above HS level.
Old 09-03-2023, 07:49 PM   #2563
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No, he's just a fraudulent "coach" that's a symptom of what's wrong with college football today.

Hey, they may go 12-0 and he's the greatest thing ever.
What I expect something like 6-6 or 5-7 and that being about the ceiling for a program under his "tutelage" if they play a schedule that's above HS level.

You realize the dumpster fire he took over? 6-6 would be a miracle in what is a really strong conference.

The dude is a hall of fame player, why would you think he can't coach?
Old 09-03-2023, 08:06 PM   #2564
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
You realize the dumpster fire he took over? 6-6 would be a miracle in what is a really strong conference.

The dude is a hall of fame player, why would you think he can't coach?

I didn't say 6-6 was a stepping stone, I said it was roughly the ceiling. Andhaving the 6th best roster (which is how they rate in 2023 after the retool) ought to provide more than .500. With him at the helm, I don't believe that'll be a thing.

Rarely do great players make great coaches. Different skill sets.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:46 PM   #2565
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It is some how fitting that the Pac-12 is 13-0, the first time a conference has ever done that, right before it sold for scraps.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:53 PM   #2566
GrantDawg

This LSU-FSU game has been fun.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:06 PM   #2567
Ksyrup

Can we get this game over so I can enjoy what's left of my holiday weekend? I effing HATE the late game. Triply so with it being on Sunday.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:15 PM   #2568
GrantDawg

Heck, this is the only time it is fine to have a late game on Sunday. I don't have to get up in the morning.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:21 PM   #2569
Ksyrup

Yeah but you don't care who wins. I'll be up until 2am at least decompressing. And I'm up by 8am regardless.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:27 PM   #2570
GrantDawg

I get that.
An we stop with playing interviews when action is on the field? That is the third time this weekend something big happened, but it was in a small box because of a needless interview.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:34 PM   #2571
GrantDawg

That Camping World commercial. "Only $20 a day..." Only? That's an "only"? And for how long, exactly?

Old 09-03-2023, 09:35 PM   #2572
Ksyrup

To be clear, I enjoy late games. Just not when I care who wins. I hate waiting all day, and I hate having to wait so long before I can calm down enough to go to sleep.

That said, regardless of how this game ends, FSU comes out looking pretty good, so I'm happy. LSU looks like a 10 win team. We got Clemson in 3 weeks.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:38 PM   #2573
GrantDawg

I don't want to jinx anything for you, but you have to feel really good right now. LSU was at least a pretender for a title this year. They are many peoples pick to win the SEC West. This game has big "FSU is back " vibes.

Old 09-03-2023, 09:44 PM   #2574
Ksyrup

8 minutes to go, it could still go to shit, but that 3 and out was something we rarely did last year to try to close out games. And we still won 10 games. So I'm... cautiously optimistic lol.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:47 PM   #2575
Ksyrup

I just told my daughter Jaheim Bell needs another touch. That'll do!
Old 09-03-2023, 09:48 PM   #2576
GrantDawg

That's your ballgame. Wow. Big win for FSU.

Old 09-03-2023, 10:04 PM   #2577
Ksyrup

Unbelievable. LSU was on track for 585 yards and didn't even get 400 (although they'll probably get it in garbage time).
Old 09-03-2023, 10:05 PM   #2578
Ksyrup

And there's my jinx lol. At least it's when it's a 30+ point game.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:38 PM   #2579
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's always a good day for Kelly to get humiliated.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:29 AM   #2580
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

Getting quality talent in the program by any means necessary is arguably the most important skill a coach can have.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 10:15 AM   #2581
MrBug708
Head Coach

The GOAT conference going out in 2023 as the nation’s best.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 02:02 PM   #2582
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Former Steeler Jarvis Jones this time

Georgia staff member arrested on reckless driving, speeding charges - ESPN
Old 09-04-2023, 03:26 PM   #2583
Edward64
Head Coach

I was struggling to figure out who to root for in AL vs TX next week. I don't like either team.

But then figured my dislike for AL is more recent and am looking forward to TX and OU joining the SEC, so I'll root for TX.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:35 PM   #2584
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I was struggling to figure out who to root for in AL vs TX next week. I don't like either team.

But then figured my dislike for AL is more recent and am looking forward to TX and OU joining the SEC, so I'll root for TX.

That's an easy Roll Tide for me. A healthy & thriving Bama is better for college football at the moment (and the most likely source of taking fucking UGAg back down a notch the fastest)
Old 09-04-2023, 05:08 PM   #2585
Ksyrup

I'm in the uncomfortable position of having to root for Clemson tonight and all year since FSU's SOS might matter for the first time in nearly a decade.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:53 PM   #2586
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Getting quality talent in the program by any means necessary is arguably the most important skill a coach can have.

Yup. Deion understands college football better than most. He understands it's the players that make you win, not the coaching.

You'd think more people would know this after seeing how elite college coach after elite college coach flamed out in the big leagues.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:05 PM   #2587
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yup. Deion understands college football better than most. He understands it's the players that make you win, not the coaching.

You'd think more people would know this after seeing how elite college coach after elite college coach flamed out in the big leagues.

Not lost on me that I have little to no actual interest in the NFL as anything other than pop culture, and haven't in years (wasn't that engaged as anything more than a time passing exercise even before it turned socio-political).

Players come, players go -- that's the traditional HS and college model -- it's how you manage those ebbs & flows that makes those games & programs interesting over the long term. Otherwise it's just the pro game that I don't really give two shits about.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:46 PM   #2588
Ksyrup

Old 09-04-2023, 07:55 PM   #2589
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What a moronic play by the Duke punt returner.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:56 PM   #2590
bronconick
College Starter

And that's when you need to score touchdowns as the underdog
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 09:16 PM   #2591
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Oh dear me, the temperature in Clemson is liable to be awfully warm tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:41 PM   #2592
RainMaker
General Manager

LOL

QB is fast though.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:47 PM   #2593
Ksyrup

This season hasn't really even started and I'm already exhausted. My brain hurts.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:50 PM   #2594
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Line up in the fn shotgun from the 1 yd line, you get what you deserve.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:01 PM   #2595
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, that was goofy. Targeting on a QB should have given a first down but they called it late hit meaning post-play, so turnover on downs
Old 09-04-2023, 10:03 PM   #2596
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Ok, that was goofy. Targeting on a QB should have given a first down but they called it late hit meaning post-play, so turnover on downs

Yeah, that's, uh, an odd one.

I get it, in theory. Not sure I've ever once seen it called that way in my life.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:04 PM   #2597
RainMaker
General Manager

Is that a new rule change? I've never seen it happen that way.
Old 09-04-2023, 10:05 PM   #2598
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think that the way they ruled it was once the QB started to slide, the play was over, so the turnover happens... then the late hit is called (and even if the slide wasn't called, the knee actually touched as well)
Old 09-04-2023, 10:06 PM   #2599
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I think that the way they ruled it was once the QB started to slide, the play was over, so the turnover happens... then the late hit is called (and even if the slide wasn't called, the knee actually touched as well)

Yeah, I get it. I don't even hate it honestly. But I don't recall ever seeing it adjudicated that way in college or high school (where I've seen more than one 4th down late hit call)
Old 09-04-2023, 10:11 PM   #2600
Ksyrup

Yeah I can't say I've seen that either, but you need a play where the play is over and results in a turnover on downs. So for instance, on an incomplete pass, I'm guessing the hit happens before the ball is technically incomplete so it isn't adjudicated as post-play?

The most obvious equivalent would be a late hit OOB but in that case the runner would have to be short of the line to gain which ends the play, then the hit is post-play. You'd think we would have seen that before and remembered it if that's how it was called.