Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

PING: Atlanta-Area Folks (You know you're from Atlanta if...)

I'd never seen this before. My comments in red.

Quote:
You give directions starting with, "Go down Peachtree" or you have ever included the phrase, "When you see the Waffle House."

You only know your way to work, and your way home.

You only drink Coke or Diet Coke - drinking Pepsi is blasphemy. Only communists and soccer players drink Pepsi.

You know to wear sneakers to the airport. Heh. Very true. It can sometimes be a challenge to dress nicely enough to be appropriate for where you're heading, but casual enough to have on sneakers.

The 8:00 AM rush hour is from 6:30 to 10:30 AM.
The 5:00 PM rush hour is from 3:00 to 7:30 PM.
Friday's rush hour starts Thursday afternoon, and lasts through 2:00 AM Saturday.

You use "Sir" and "Ma'am" if there's a remote possibility that person you're talking to is least 30 minutes older than you are. That USED to be true. All these $%(*#$ yankees around here have caused this to be less and less true.

You can pronounce "Ponce De Leon Avenue" correctly. This one made me laugh. That's "Ponce" as in "rhymes with 'fonts'" and "Leon" as in "Spinks."

The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules. Inaccurate. There ARE no traffic rules on 285.

If a single snowflake falls, the city is paralyzed for three days, and it's on all the channels as a news flash every 15 minutes for a month, shouting about STORM WATCH 2000!! All the grocery stores will be sold out of milk, bread, bottled water, toilet paper, and beer. It cracks me up when people buy all that milk, and I've even seen a run on ICE. Uh, just put your stuff OUTSIDE, people!

If there is a remote chance of snow, and if it does snow, people will be on the corner selling "I survived the blizzard" tee-shirts, and every school in the surrounding 5 Counties will close immediately

If you are standing on a corner and a MARTA Bus stops, you're expected to get on and go somewhere.

You will ride the MARTA Trains all day long, but REFUSE to ride the Bus, no matter what. Hehehehe.

You know who "Uncle Teddy" is.

Construction on Peachtree Street is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment, especially when a water line is tapped and Atlanta's version of Old Faithful erupts.

Construction crews are not doing their jobs properly unless they close down all major streets during rush hour.

You have a slight real clinical heart attack everytime it takes Michael Vick longer than 10 seconds to get up off the ground, after he is tackled.

Youve actually considered the thought of murdering someone for not using their turn signal.

You never go 55 on "The Watermelon 500" or "The Georgia 400".

You know you're not allergic to pollen, because if you were - you'd be dead already. Yup.

You know what "Kudzu" is.

You know how to do both the "Tomahawk Chop" and the "Bankhead Bounce", and are also aware of what it takes to get "Crunk" It always cracks me up to hear 50-year-old very Southern white men talking about how we're going to get crunk at the game tonight, and my board chairman's wife is as "white" as she can be...but I've seen her do the Bankhead Bounce.

You know what a "Varsity" is and know is has nothing to do with sports.

You've been to a "Laser Show"

You remember when you had to go to a mall to eat a "Chik-Fil-A" The free-standing Chick-Fil-A in Tucker is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

You've never gone around the block and ended up on the street you started on.

You elect to NOT get leather seats in your car, from fear of your butt and back, melting to them. Atlantans can be wimps about the heat/humidity. You want to know what heat and humidity are all about? Cross the Columbus-Macon-Savannah "Gnat Line," then you'll understand why it seems like I'm always a little chilly in the A-T-L.

You know where 'Butthead' and 'F*ckhead' are, and know it's the same part of town.

You know what a "Cyclorama" is, but have probably only been to it once, if ever, and it was as a child. True for me. Been there once, I think in Junior High.

You haven't been downtown at night in years

To you, "Ronald Reagan" and "Freedom" mean you have to drive as fast as your car can possibly go.

You've woken up at 4:30 am on workdays to beat the traffic to work, intending to leave work before 3 pm to compensate.

You know at least five different ways to get to work, none of them ideal

You've gone to "Shoot The Hooch" before.

You know what "Sunshine Slowdown", "Auto-Flambe", and "Topside" mean, and you know what color a "H.E.R.O." is.

You know where PIB, JCB, FIB, MLK, PDK and "The Grady Curve" are, and you try to never go there, for any reason, during any of the nine hours of rush "hour"

You know what "ITP" and "OTP" mean, and depending on which one you are, you loathe the other one. This one is a quandary for me. I'm technically OTP, but I'm not fond of OTPers OR ITPers as a group. We need a new category: NTP (NEAR The Perimeter). We NTPers are the best of both worlds.

You've thought about getting a blow-up doll companion for the front passenger seat. ROFLMBAO!!! I thought I was the only one who considered that...

If you watch a movie or TV show that was filmed in Atlanta, you have no idea what that is going on in the story, because you are too busy looking for places you recognize. I've seen Remember The Titans an untold number of times. I still get distracted watching the scenes at Druid Hills High School, Adams Stadium and the scenes that have kids I know in the background as extras.

You would only go to a "Hawks" game if they were playing The Lakers. (OR, if your major donor with courtside seats gives you four tickets to take high school guys to the game....)

You have a surreal sense of pride if your phone number starts with the digits "404" (Yup, there's one reason to hate ITPers! )

You've actually eaten something called "Okra" at least once.

You've also eaten something called "Grits" before. As a matter of fact, unlike "Okra", you probably love "Grits" WORD!

You know who "Mr. Goober" is.

"Matlock" is one of your heros.

You remember being able to get to any point, from any point, in the Metro Area in "Twenty Minutes"

You wonder who the idiot was who designed the highway system and if they were related to Hitler, or perhaps was even Satan himself.

You curse The Olympics at least once a week. I usually referred to it as "that thing downtown where those faggotty ITPers stood at attention when a foreign National Anthem was being played on Georgian soil." :nad:

The idea of unsweetened, hot, tea repulses you. More spawn of Satan.

You have never felt a more intense pain in your life then walking barefoot on the pavement in August. Again, wimps. Try doing it in South Georgia.

You have no idea what is actually inside "The World Of Coca Cola" Hehe. I don't think I've been there since I lived in metro Atlanta. I went before I did, though.

You've been in traffic on 85, 75, 20 or 400 (choose one) - wondering if your fuel, your cell-phone battery and your bladder will make it to the next exit, just 1/2 mile ahead.

You commonly ask yourself whos idea it was to make buying beer on a Sunday illegal, and why no other city on Earth seems to have this law.

It's 4:30 pm Sunday, you're stone-cold sober and you've just finished the last left-over hot dog when you realize that in exactly 12 hours you have to get up and go to work - again

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
IYou have never felt a more intense pain in your life then walking barefoot on the pavement in August. Again, wimps. Try doing it in South Georgia.
You have to be kidding me...ive been there, and my god you guys have it easy compared to arizona. You come walk on barefoot on pacement here in august, and you will suddenly have a newfound appreciation for how easy you have it
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
Coder
College Prospect

South Georgia, exactly where is that SkyDog? You mention south of the Savannah, Macon, Columbus line.. How much further south? I've lived in Tifton for 2 years and imagine a Swede being confronted with the heat

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
South Georgia, exactly where is that SkyDog? You mention south of the Savannah, Macon, Columbus line.. How much further south? I've lived in Tifton for 2 years and imagine a Swede being confronted with the heat
Tifton is, without question, South Georgia.

Weather-wise, that line really defines it. In fact, at night it can feel as much as 10-15 degrees warmer in the southern fringes of Columbus as opposed to the northern fringes. It really is rather amazing.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Tifton is, without question, South Georgia.

Weather-wise, that line really defines it. In fact, at night it can feel as much as 10-15 degrees warmer in the southern fringes of Columbus as opposed to the northern fringes. It really is rather amazing.

Word. But Eufaula, Alabama is the hottest, most miserable place on earth. It is something about the lake that makes it worse.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Word. But Eufaula, Alabama is the hottest, most miserable place on earth. It is something about the lake that makes it worse.
I didn't notice any difference between Eufala and Columbus. Remember that the Hootch is pretty wide down there, adding to the haze and humidity. Plus, that whole area (really all the way down to Eufala, I think) is in a valley that holds the heat and humidity in rather well.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Why did you live in Tifton, may I ask? Tifton is just another town we drive through on the way to Orlando.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
You've thought about getting a blow-up doll companion for the front passenger seat. ROFLMBAO!!! I thought I was the only one who considered that...

They had been doing that in California since the early 80s, where the "dummy lane" was invented and made into an art form.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

Dude, who in the hell DOESN'T love Okra?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Dude, who in the hell DOESN'T love Okra?
{raises hand}
Old 02-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Fried and lightly salted Okra is an amazing thing.

I've had pickled Okra before, though, and that was kinda odd...

Old 02-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #12
miked
College Starter

Wow, I'm moving back in months and this is making me reconsider
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #13
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh. I also have to scoff at both the pavement and the black leather seat. Trying that insanity in the deserts of the southwest is the true form of pain.

...but as I'm stuck in the dead of winter right now, I would welcome 115 degree heat.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #14
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
You've also eaten something called "Grits" before. As a matter of fact, unlike "Okra", you probably love "Grits" WORD!

You have that backwards - Okra is awesome, like Jeeber said - fried and with some salt...mmmmm....I also like to dip mine in ketchup sometimes

Grits however, are some of the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted! It's like eating glue with sand mixed in it!

I can't believe there is no mention of the Big Chicken or The Colonnade on that list! Everyone knows that the only place to eat Fried Chicken in the ATL is at The Colonnade...but get there late so you miss the rush of old people that arrives at 4:30 for dinner We actually had dinner sitting next to Zell Miller and his mom there one night - very cool!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #15
KWhit
Coordinator

You commonly ask yourself whos idea it was to make buying beer on a Sunday illegal, and why no other city on Earth seems to have this law.

I think that every Sunday!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:53 AM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I laughed about the Olympics thing. I remember a comedian saying "I'm suprised the people of Atlanta lobbied for the Games. I seem to recall the last time that outsiders came to town with torches, it didn't work out too well for them."

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #17
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
I laughed about the Olympics thing. I remember a comedian saying "I'm suprised the people of Atlanta lobbied for the Games. I seem to recall the last time that outsiders came to town with torches, it didn't work out too well for them."

To further the Olympics and Atlanta jokes.. I can't help but laughing until I cry every time I hear "Games Rednecks Play"...

"Dear Lord, be with our guests and prepare them for the buttwhoppin' they're about to receive"

Last edited by Coder : 02-14-2006 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-14-2006, 09:59 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit

I think that every Sunday!

Wow, and I thought it was bad that in Texas you can't buy beer until noon or liquor at all on Sunday!

Old 02-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #19
Ben E Lou

Quote:
To further the Olympics and Atlanta jokes.. I can't help but laughing until I cry every time I hear "Games Rednecks Play"...

"Dear Lord, be with our guests and prepare them for the buttwhoppin' they're about to receive"
Old 02-14-2006, 10:01 AM   #20
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Why did you live in Tifton, may I ask? Tifton is just another town we drive through on the way to Orlando.

School

Abraham Baldwin College, small JUCO, mostly known for it's agriculture program but also for having one of the best juco-journalism programs in the state.

Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #21
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

What about name changing roads that you never get off.. Lower Roswell, Terrerl Mill, Delk road are the same road, that just change names every couple of miles..
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
What about name changing roads that you never get off.. Lower Roswell, Terrerl Mill, Delk road are the same road, that just change names every couple of miles..
Actually, my perception is that there are fewer of these per square mile than there were in my hometown. University Avenue-->Cody Road-->Elm Drive-->Morris Road takes place in about a 2 mile stretch of road in Columbus.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #23
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd never seen this before. My comments in red.

[/size][/font]

Where was the "You grew up in New Jersey" one?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:19 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very good list, thought of at least one they left out:

When you know that the acceptable speed & the Interstate Highway number are the same thing (i.e. you can get away with 75 on I-75, 85 on I-85, and 285 on I-285)
Old 02-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The "unsweetened, hot, tea" one demonstrates a lack of dining on Buford Highway . Green tea... mmmm.

Oh, and put me down for liking okra, but not grits.

And HAHA... I got a 404 number in the perimeter, but kept it when I moved outside of it! Nyah!

Quote:
You remember being able to get to any point, from any point, in the Metro Area in "Twenty Minutes"

It's like CTU!

And I think Georgia needs more foriegn national anthems being played inside its city.. just to peeve off the nationalist losers .
Old 02-14-2006, 06:04 PM   #26
sabotai
General Manager

" The falling of one rain drop causes all drivers to immediately forget all traffic rules."

That is true for where I live as well.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:09 PM   #27
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

New Jersey is FAR safer to drive in the rain than Atlanta is.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:07 AM   #28
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Here are a couple left out:

You tell people from out of state that you live in Atlanta, even though you really live in Marietta/Norcross/Smyrna/Roswell/Kennesaw/Alpharetta. You do this because you don't want them to think you live in some podunk redneck town.

You see someone eating Ribs with a knife and fork and you have this itching sensation to beat that that motherfucking heathen down.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote