Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #5551
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

the southern states and rural areas are indeed spijing later than i thought they would but it did finally happen.

it was inevitable.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #5552
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

who is dan patrick again?
Old 07-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #5553
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Lt. Governor of Texas... not the guy on Sportscenter
Old 07-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #5554
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah I saw Dan Patrick trending and figured he got outed for sexual harassment from his ESPN days or something.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-01-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:06 PM   #5555
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah I saw Dan Patrick trending and figured he got outed for sexual harassment from his ESPN days or something.

Based on the thread I figured he went on an anti-mask tirade. Which seemed random.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #5556
tarcone
Coordinator

Daughters room mate went to a boys house. The boys room mate then tested positive. Mt daughter has a sore throat and stuffy nose. She goes to a clinic tomorrow to get tested. But wont find out results for 3 to 7 business days.

I thought they cut down the results waiting period.

And she is at her college and I havent been in contact with her for about 3 weeks.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #5557
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Daughters room mate went to a boys house. The boys room mate then tested positive. Mt daughter has a sore throat and stuffy nose. She goes to a clinic tomorrow to get tested. But wont find out results for 3 to 7 business days.

I thought they cut down the results waiting period.

And she is at her college and I havent been in contact with her for about 3 weeks.

I really hope she is OK.

Re: testing. I heard that with the uptick, some jurisdictions are reserving the quick results tests for healthcare workers and similar folks.

Please keep us posted.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #5558
Ksyrup

Daughter going back to school is what worries me. How can you be a college student and not interact with friends and other students? It's much simpler to be quarantined with 3 other family members. Roommates/teammates and other students is a whole other matter.

The other thing is all of her classes are going to be online. What's the use? She's got softball so she has to be there, plus she is supposed to be doing in-class observations (education major), but she has no idea if local schools will be in-person or if they'll allow student teachers.

I have a buddy with a kid at UNC and he's about ready to pull him from school because he can't justify $50-60K/year for basically an online degree. Four of 6 classes are going to be online.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 PM   #5559
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I am currently listening to a parents town hall for my son's college. They are going to keep the kids in a six person "pod" where they can be mask free but everywhere else will be masked.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #5560
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm one of the alumni interviewers for my alma mater (Emory), and reading between the lines, they are very worried that kids will be deferring, etc. We are getting lots of encouragement to keep reaching out and encouraging the admitted students to enroll/attend/etc.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:06 PM   #5561
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I am currently listening to a parents town hall for my son's college. They are going to keep the kids in a six person "pod" where they can be mask free but everywhere else will be masked.

So you if you date outside of your pod . . . ?
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #5562
GrantDawg

They will have to be creative.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #5563
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'm one of the alumni interviewers for my alma mater (Emory), and reading between the lines, they are very worried that kids will be deferring, etc. We are getting lots of encouragement to keep reaching out and encouraging the admitted students to enroll/attend/etc.

While you are at it, can you ask them to stop calling me to donate (Emory Law alum)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:10 PM   #5564
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

The guy who was all for killing grandma to open up the economy a couple of months ago. Of course not his family, but yours.

Dan Patrick says opening economy is more important than saving lives | The Texas Tribune

Quote:
“What I said when I was with you that night is there are more important things than living. And that’s saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us,” Patrick said. “I don’t want to die, nobody wants to die, but man we’ve got to take some risks and get back in the game and get this country back up and running.”

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-01-2020 at 09:11 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #5565
tarcone
Coordinator

I love that line "There are more important things than living."

Because you know all that cool stuff you get to do when you are dead.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #5566
bronconick
College Starter

Michigan shut down the indoor bars again around Lansing and West Michigan.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:49 AM   #5567
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

Best analogy i read, explaining why College is just a tough one re: reopening: They are like giant, cruise ships on land (with all the extra Problems that brings).

The Summer of Magical Thinking – The Tattooed Professor

And a better way to think about this isn't on how good the measures at any 1 place are but how the level of community Transmission is and how you 'budget' your reopening:

Coronavirus: Close the bars. Reopen the schools. - Vox
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-02-2020 at 01:50 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:50 AM   #5568
Ksyrup

There are a few reasons why I think schools are going to reopen regardless of what is happening. One, online education is a joke. Kids don't learn and they pretty much all end up with high grades regardless of what they learn or effort they give. Two, if parents are trying to go back to work, they need a place to put their kids. People are already complaining about the possibility of staggered days for this reason. Three, for colleges, online learning is also a joke, plus they have the further issue of cost. There is no reason to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a University of Phoenix education.

They're going to try to make it work somehow because they have to.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-02-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #5569
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

They can try all they want, I just don't see any way we can have schools open en masse, not have a vaccine, and expect that to work. It's going to create a lot of community spread and they'll be forced to shut them down again at some point. I don't see any way around that.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #5570
tarcone
Coordinator

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1278656673754820608?s=20

University of Alabama students playing "Who can catch the virus first"

Last edited by tarcone : 07-02-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #5571
Thomkal
Head Coach

Myrtle Beach and N.Myrtle now have mask regulations.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #5572
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone
University of Alabama students playing "Who can catch the virus first"

I thought you were being sarcastic until I clicked the link.

I don't want to adult anymore.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #5573
JPhillips
General Manager

Herman Cain, former Presidential candidate, hospitalized with COVID.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #5574
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Herman Cain, former Presidential candidate, hospitalized with COVID.
Just nine days after being with the President in Tulsa. With no masks, of course.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #5575
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I thought you were being sarcastic until I clicked the link.

I don't want to adult anymore.

I dunno - teenagers are going to teenage, right? And there will be scary "local news"-esque stories about how it's all the rage with kids when like 99% of them would think it's stupid and never do something.

SI

Old 07-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #5576
cougarfreak
College Starter

I’m a high school principal. 1500 students. I think we are going to reopen in some way shape or form. I don’t think we will be open long. If 5-10 students come back infected. Attend classes. Eat lunch. Just by happenstance it’ll spread petty quickly. We will do all we can to follow guidelines, etc. But 1500 kids in relatively close proximity to 15-30 others for 6 hours a day probably won’t go well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #5577
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I’m a high school principal. 1500 students. I think we are going to reopen in some way shape or form. I don’t think we will be open long. If 5-10 students come back infected. Attend classes. Eat lunch. Just by happenstance it’ll spread petty quickly. We will do all we can to follow guidelines, etc. But 1500 kids in relatively close proximity to 15-30 others for 6 hours a day probably won’t go well.

I swear - anyone who thinks school is going to do any better than fits and spurts just doesn't know children or something

SI

Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #5578
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

My daughter's HS is over 2000. I can't imagine they won't have to go to on-line at some point. Just one positive test screws things up. How many people would one student come in contact with during a typical day? Has to be in the hundreds.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #5579
miami_fan
Coordinator

Oh to be a fly on the wall during the discussions between the Governor and Lieutenant Governor of Texas when the decision was made on the mask order.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #5580
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Oh to be a fly on the wall during the discussions between the Governor and Lieutenant Governor of Texas when the decision was made on the mask order.

In 4 months are most people (Trump included?) going to be wearing masks and a bunch of them will be pretending they've been doing it all along like there was never this culture war thing about masks for a couple of months? I mean, fine - let's just get masks on everyone as that's the important part. But are we just going to pretend the last 2 months of arguing about masks didn't happen?

SI

Old 07-03-2020, 12:42 AM   #5581
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

no shame whatsoever I'm sure. Just as Peter Tork said in 60s...the establishment will coopt things said by people, adopt them as their own and then put down the originators
Old 07-03-2020, 01:42 AM   #5582
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'm supposed to student teach in the fall, we'll see how that goes with the current state of things.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #5583
miked
College Starter

I believe some of the high schools in Gwinnett are 3k+ students (Parkview, Brookwood). I think Lakeside down the street from me (Dekalb) is over 2k.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #5584
Edward64
Head Coach

According to worldometers, although US cases are increasing, deaths are still well under 1K. This may be due to deaths not catching up to recent spikes (e.g. not 2-3 weeks yet).

Hoping for the best and it would be (relatively) great if we see fatality % less than the first wave.

Wife's PS school starts in mid-Aug and so does daughter's college. By that time we'll know if the second wave is better-same-worse than the first. I think it'll be better as healthcare professionals will be better prepared and there is at least one treatment that helps some.

I am also somewhat relieved to know the first wave did not cause significant shortages of food supply (or at least not for long) and only for n95 masks, sanitizers and (initially) paper products.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-03-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #5585
whomario
Pro Starter

There is no doubt it will be less (not that one can tell, since nobody knows live the actual infections nor all actual deaths), no reason that wouldn't be the case with months of experience to treat it and prevent the Introduction and spread in Retirement homes but also hospitals with lots of improvements in protocolls, setup and PPE coverage.

However, what becomes more and more clear is that the Virus Mutation oft cited is not a "spreads more = less deadly = case closed" thing. Because most importantly: That switch did not happen recently, which it quite often sounds like when you read about it especially on Social Media, it happened in February and early March. (and those samples used in the study will largely be from hospitals due to accesibility. So those sampled on say March 1st will likely have caught it a while earlier and are. Reversely, the lag from those samples to death would not be that big.)
Italy and France for example exclusively had the new 'Version' before even March 1st. In the US, New York had this as the dominant form whereas the West Coast had the old version for a good while as the dominant form or even until the end of the study period in May.
Others like Spain or England did have both running alongside for a bit, but also had it switch very early.
And the version currently devastating latin america is also the new one. (Adjusting Excess deaths to US population numbers, Peru would be at 400k dead and Mexico at about 300k, although the latter is a guess based on only Mexico City Data and how it compares to the national total on official covid19 deaths).

It might well explain why the early West Coast outbreaks or early asian outbreaks outside China were comparatively easy to control or why englands seemed OKish for a bit before the outbreak took off like mad in a matter of 2,3 days (Spain on the other hand does not seem to be explained by that).
Of course all these are limited samples and there might be significant differences within a country. But still, does shed some light here.

Study

The virus itself really seems to have done one thing: Get better at spreading. The lower death count might be down to 'us' getting better at dealing with it in a variety of ways. Which is great, but it staying that way would then be entirely dependent on 'us' continuing to do so.

It might also explain why the first initially imported cases (no matter if in January, December or even earlier) did not create an outbreak but somewhat petered out and/or stayed at a level not setting off alarm bells. Of course, the original version was presumably enough to devastate Wuhan, so what the hell do i know ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-03-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #5586
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Oh, the irony.

Sonora health officials seek tougher border restrictions with Arizona over COVID-19 spread
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #5587
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall."

4D chess, everyone!

SI

Old 07-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #5588
PilotMan
Head Coach

I took the boys to the 2nd day that Kings Island was open today. They still have plans to open to for single day tickets on the 12th, but I could totally see it getting shut down again without a whole lot of work. It was in the 90's today, little shade, and the mask didn't make it easier. It was hot and irritating. The rides were alright though.

As for how do you operate a theme park with Covid....they did as good as they could. Spacing in the lines, sanitizer stands, every employee with masks, wiped down all the rides about every 30 minutes or so. There was only one part that was kind of a joke inside the air conditioned food house. The spaced out the seating, cutting it in half, and even with less people let in the park, there wasn't enough seating. As soon as a table got up, someone was right there to sit down. They only had two people to wipe down tables which was a joke. It was just not enough space, not enough people to clean tables. They should have had at least 10 people for the size of the room there.

I didn't ride it, but the boys said Orion (7th giga-coaster in the world) was the bomb.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:36 PM   #5589
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I took the boys to the 2nd day that Kings Island was open today. They still have plans to open to for single day tickets on the 12th, but I could totally see it getting shut down again without a whole lot of work. It was in the 90's today, little shade, and the mask didn't make it easier. It was hot and irritating. The rides were alright though.

As for how do you operate a theme park with Covid....they did as good as they could. Spacing in the lines, sanitizer stands, every employee with masks, wiped down all the rides about every 30 minutes or so. There was only one part that was kind of a joke inside the air conditioned food house. The spaced out the seating, cutting it in half, and even with less people let in the park, there wasn't enough seating. As soon as a table got up, someone was right there to sit down. They only had two people to wipe down tables which was a joke. It was just not enough space, not enough people to clean tables. They should have had at least 10 people for the size of the room there.

I didn't ride it, but the boys said Orion (7th giga-coaster in the world) was the bomb.

Ah King's Island - setting of one of the more memorable Brady Bunch episodes

YouTube

(I know the most useless things).

Last edited by molson : 07-03-2020 at 08:36 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #5590
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:

So many childhood memories. My dad use to take me there years ago. I use to love the dark indoor roller coaster, and the beast. I would love to go back there when the world returns to normal some day. It was like early 90s when I went.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #5591
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Used to love going there for P and G day.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #5592
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall."

4D chess, everyone!

SI

Don't worry, he's kept more promises than he made! Over 100%!
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #5593
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:

I'm going Tuesday. My kids are ready for Orion, I bet they drag me on it! Then we head to Disney on Wednesday for 12 days. Staying on property, in DVC. I figure if anyone can keep a park clean, it's Disney. I don't know.....

Last edited by cougarfreak : 07-03-2020 at 11:41 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #5594
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wish I could have ridden it, but I'm a big guy. I just can't get that second click on the seat. The boys said it's the best ride in the park now. Which makes me happy, Banshee is my favorite, and it's pretty easy to get on now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #5595
Ksyrup

They would have to pay ME twice what a ticket costs to spend a day at an amusement park in the summer while wearing a mask. Especially like today when it's in the 90s.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #5596
JPhillips
General Manager

I've been a big fan of Dr. Gottlieb and here he states the truth. This will be the greatest failure of political leadership in the country's history.

Quote:
"We're not going to really be able to crush this virus at this point because there's just so much infection around. We really don't seem to have the political will to do it. "
Old 07-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #5597
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I've been a big fan of Dr. Gottlieb and here he states the truth. This will be the greatest failure of political leadership in the country's history.

It being an election year was always going to hurt any efforts, too.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #5598
bob
College Starter

Harvard University’s freshman class will be invited to live on campus this fall, while most other undergraduates will be required to learn remotely from home, the Ivy League school announced Monday.

University officials decided to allow only 40% of undergraduates on campus in an effort to reduce density and prevent the spread of COVID-19. All freshmen will be invited, along with some other students who face challenges learning from afar.

All classes will be taught online, however, regardless of where students live. Students living on campus would live in dorm rooms but continue taking their classes remotely, the university said.

All course instruction (undergraduate and graduate) for the 2020-21 academic year will be delivered online

Last edited by bob : 07-06-2020 at 11:26 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:13 PM   #5599
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I still don't see the NFL getting the entire season cancelled, too much TV money on the table.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #5600
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I still don't see the NFL getting the entire season cancelled, too much TV money on the table.

They're probably like "What's the use in having a season? Nobody(Here) is going to watch now that we've included the 'black national anthem' before Week 1 games."