Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
There is also a key piece of information (well, two actually) about Gore's energy use that is missing from the article ...

If you're referring to the two I think you're referring to, I suspect the article linked here has to predate Gore's response which included the first reference I've seen to at least one of the two things (I would imagine the other has been mentioned somewhere in the past).

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #52
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

One of the two things is relatively new to me (re: his electric bill), but the other (and more important) thing has been common knowledge since the movie came out, and probably before. I haven't seen his response to this story.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #53
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Has anyone actually looked at what future effects might possibly be good? Other than LA falling into the ocean.

An improved growing season is one possible good effect.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:54 AM   #54
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Jesse Ewiak thinks Franky No Ballz starts too many political threads.

Last thing I'm worried about is some faggot questioning my manhood.

Make all the excuses for Gore you want... or maybe you can take Toddzilla's route, and make a crack about a draft-dodging president that is totally unrelated to the discussion at hand (tell me... are you referring to Clinton or W.? I'm not too sure).

Fact is, the guy's a hypocrite of the first order... making that pompous film, then all of Hollywood getting together for a collective circle-jerk over it, when they're all the worst of offenders (when only an minute handful actually DO anything to protect the environment in their personal lives).

I came "out of hiding" (if you can call it that... I still post periodically in several other threads) to post this because nobody else on this board had the stones to point the finger at one of the idols of all the liberals here. But, hey, you can all make this about me if you want. That's a lot easier than admitting your hero of the environment is a fraud.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #55
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Don't get too worked up. In this instance, it doesn't exactly take a whole lot of effort.

SO what is the "true scientific" explanation for what is going on?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #56
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble View Post

Make all the excuses for Gore you want... or maybe you can take Toddzilla's route, and make a crack about a draft-dodging president that is totally unrelated to the discussion at hand (tell me... are you referring to Clinton or W.? I'm not too sure).

Fact is, the guy's a hypocrite of the first order... making that pompous film, then all of Hollywood getting together for a collective circle-jerk over it, when they're all the worst of offenders (when only an minute handful actually DO anything to protect the environment in their personal lives).

I came "out of hiding" (if you can call it that... I still post periodically in several other threads) to post this because nobody else on this board had the stones to point the finger at one of the idols of all the liberals here. But, hey, you can all make this about me if you want. That's a lot easier than admitting your hero of the environment is a fraud.
I just prayed to Jesus and he told me he is really disappointed in you.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #57
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

It's like raiiaiiiiaaiiin on your wedding day...
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #58
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
I just prayed to Jesus and he told me he is really disappointed in you.

Let me guess... he told you he prefers his Christians to be more like SkyDog and the others who profess faith around here but are scared to speak out about it for fear of being ostracized by the godless majority...

Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #59
miked
College Starter

Quote:

Maybe it's as simple as either 1) nobody really cares or 2) hyprocrisy of elected leaders (current and former) is something we all know about and are tired of hearing about.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:29 AM   #60
Phototropic
Mascot

Tennessean

A day after receiving Oscar glory for a documentary on global warming, former Vice President Al Gore was called a hypocrite by a Tennessee group saying his Belle Meade home is using too much energy.

The home’s average month electric bill topped $1,359, according to the group.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk (the) walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Drew Johnson, president of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

Electric bills obtained by The Tennessean, however, showed that Gore is paying a premium on his bills to be part of the “green power” program. Gore purchased 108 blocks of “green power” for at least each of the last three months, according to a summary of bills from Nashville Electric Service.

That’s a total of $432 a month spent to pay extra for solar or other renewable energy sources. NES power – outside this program - is derived largely from coal, which emits carbon, a green house gas.

The green power purchased by Gore in those three months is equivalent to recycling 2.48 million aluminum cans, or recycling 286,092 pounds of newspaper, according to comparison figures on the utility's Web site.

Gore’s movie details how greenhouse gases are trapping heat next to the earth, causing a changing climate with melting ice caps and more violent storms.

“Every family has a different carbon footprint,” said Kalee Krider, a spokeswoman for Gore.

The Gore’s 10,000 square foot house on Lynnwood Boulevard doesn’t have a small one.

The Green Power Switch program, however, isn’t all he and his wife, Tipper, are doing, Krider said.

They use compact fluourescent lights and are in the midst of a renovation project that includes having solar panels installed on their home to reduce fossil fuel consumption more, she said.

Their car? A Lexus hybrid SUV.

They put money into an investment company that Gore co-founded with a man named David Blood and it, in turn, sends the money to pay for solar, wind and other projects that reduce energy consumption around the globe.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #61
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Let me guess... he told you he prefers his Christians to be more like SkyDog and the others who profess faith around here but are scared to speak out about it for fear of being ostracized by the godless majority...

Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.

You left Matthew 7:1-6 off of your quote list.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:37 AM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In before the lock.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM   #63
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
They put money into an investment company that Gore co-founded with a man named David Blood and it, in turn, sends the money to pay for solar, wind and other projects that reduce energy consumption around the globe.

So, basically you're saying the whole movie was just an infomercial to drum up business for this company, right?
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #64
Phototropic
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
So, basically you're saying the whole movie was just an infomercial to drum up business for this company, right?
I know better than to say anything. I'm just relaying an article from another POV.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #65
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
They use compact fluourescent lights

Because mercury does less harm than CO2

If anyone knows where I can get mercury-free flourescents, please let me know, as that's the only thing keeping me from trying them out in the house (I'm using them for my outdoor lights already).

I'm really waiting for the LED lights to reach consumer level...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #66
JediKooter
Coordinator

All I know is, when a politician opens his or her mouth, all I hear is, "blah blah blah, elect me, blah blah blah blah, elect a peer of mine, blah blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, I'm sorry, blah blah blah blah blah."

So, it's too bad that when a politician does do something, no matter what the 'cause' is or political party affiliation, there will always be that nagging suspicion that there is another motive behind it all.

So, when you go to the polls next year to vote, remember Jedikooter, for a better, brighter future.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #67
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I've got to admit that this made me laugh hard.

Thread delivers.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #68
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
You left Matthew 7:1-6 off of your quote list.

All that says is that we're not to judge the minor flaws of our brethren without examining the major flaws in our own character. It doesn't mean that we can't be critical at all, and you're taking it out of context of the rest of Scripture.

I have repeatedly taken responsibility for my actions on this board, and have no qualms about my own accountability. The problem you have is you prefer Christians to be quiet, meek, and passive, and simply allow you to revel in your sin without reproach. The truth is, we are not called to just sit quietly by while our faith is openly mocked.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #69
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:

No he thinks you are a model Christian. He just mentioned that you are getting embarrassingly fat.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #70
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Tennessean

A day after receiving Oscar glory for a documentary on global warming, former Vice President Al Gore was called a hypocrite by a Tennessee group saying his Belle Meade home is using too much energy.

The home’s average month electric bill topped $1,359, according to the group.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk (the) walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Drew Johnson, president of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research.

Electric bills obtained by The Tennessean, however, showed that Gore is paying a premium on his bills to be part of the “green power” program. Gore purchased 108 blocks of “green power” for at least each of the last three months, according to a summary of bills from Nashville Electric Service.

That’s a total of $432 a month spent to pay extra for solar or other renewable energy sources. NES power – outside this program - is derived largely from coal, which emits carbon, a green house gas.

The green power purchased by Gore in those three months is equivalent to recycling 2.48 million aluminum cans, or recycling 286,092 pounds of newspaper, according to comparison figures on the utility's Web site.

Gore’s movie details how greenhouse gases are trapping heat next to the earth, causing a changing climate with melting ice caps and more violent storms.

“Every family has a different carbon footprint,” said Kalee Krider, a spokeswoman for Gore.

The Gore’s 10,000 square foot house on Lynnwood Boulevard doesn’t have a small one.

The Green Power Switch program, however, isn’t all he and his wife, Tipper, are doing, Krider said.

They use compact fluourescent lights and are in the midst of a renovation project that includes having solar panels installed on their home to reduce fossil fuel consumption more, she said.

Their car? A Lexus hybrid SUV.

So it's fine to waste all this electricity as long as you are using "green" power? BS...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #71
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I have repeatedly taken responsibility for my actions on this board, and have no qualms about my own accountability. The problem you have is you prefer Christians to be quiet, meek, and passive, and simply allow you to revel in your sin without reproach. The truth is, we are not called to just sit quietly by while our faith is openly mocked.

I'd settle for intelligent. Anything you'd be able to muster up beyond that would be gravy.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #72
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
No he thinks you are a model Christian. He just mentioned that you are getting embarrassingly fat.

A fat joke? What's next? Are you going to crack on my mother?

Your "poke fun at the unpopular kid online" schtick is a little tired. Maybe it's time you found another means to amuse yourself and your loyal following.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #73
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Jesus wouldn't have called anyone a faggot.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:25 PM   #74
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
All that says is that we're not to judge the minor flaws of our brethren without examining the major flaws in our own character.

I'd argue that it means we aren't the ones to judge which flaws are major and which are minor, but I admittedly haven't participated in a major Bible study in several years.

Quote:
It doesn't mean that we can't be critical at all, and you're taking it out of context of the rest of Scripture.

Et tu, Brute.

Quote:

I remember your, pardon the pun, "Come to Jesus" moment where you stopped the Ladies Man routine. Problem is, I don't think coming on here and calling someone a faggot, whether you were provoked or not, is any better (in fact, I think it's much, much worse). Add to that sort of vitriol your judgment of others throughout this thread...and...well...do I really need to go on?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #75
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
A fat joke? What's next? Are you going to crack on my mother?

Your "poke fun at the unpopular kid online" schtick is a little tired. Maybe it's time you found another means to amuse yourself and your loyal following.
Haha. I'm sorry. You are right. YOUAREAWESOME.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #76
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Haha. I'm sorry. You are right. YOUAREAWESOME.

The name of the website has nothing to do with me.

Exo 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #77
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

*wonders what the effect of researching and practicing one's faith, as opposed to spending one's time insulting people and picking political fights on Internet message boards, might be*
Old 02-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #78
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths View Post
Jesus wouldn't have called anyone a faggot.

Yes, but the Bible does not tell you not to
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #79
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Franklin professes to be fallible, yet he does not learn. What means this?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #80
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
The name of the website has nothing to do with me.

Exo 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
What website? I just think you're awesome.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

WHAT IS SPORTSDIGS?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #82
heybrad
Norm!!!

I believe that this board was created to entertain me and on that point, it delivers every day!
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #83
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Please stop doing this. It shows your smarmy side.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #84
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
Put it this way:

The anti-business/anti-progress crowd that opposes the stuff that makes our lives better (e.g., cars, planes, gasoline, etc.), are the one's at the forefront of this issue and they are in the democratic party almost without exception.

This, to me, is where the political aspect is coming from. That's not to say that there aren't some misguided Republicans that are buying into this hype, but by and large they are the folks in the Democratic party.
The anti-progress crowd (aka, Progressives) have been given a free ride for too long. When will we stand up and fight the hippies that have been subjugating our large corporations for decades now? When can big business get a piece of the action? I only wish that Democrats didn't have such a vested interest in stopping all commercial activity in this country, then they wouldn't come up with such nonsense from 'scientists' intended solely to destroy business.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #85
Raiders Army
Coordinator

This is nice reading during lunch.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #86
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
An improved growing season is one possible good effect.

Would it really be improved, though? Assuming climate change means (amongst other things) a) more damaging storms and b) the desertification of formerly fertile growing areas, it might not be that good of an effect.

Quote:

I believe a nerve was touched here.

Quote:
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth. [/i]

So, basically, Jesus is a spitter.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #87
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If I remember right Rev. 3:16 is the so-called "Coffee verse". Here Jesus is telling us that contrary to then common thinking, iced coffee is just as delicious as hot coffee. The only truly dreadful coffee is room-temperature coffee, which can happen to both hot or cold coffee.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #88
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If I remember right Rev. 3:16 is the so-called "Coffee verse". Here Jesus is telling us that contrary to then common thinking, iced coffee is just as delicious as hot coffee.

The #1 reason I can not be a Christian. Iced coffee tasting terrible is a core belief of mine.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #89
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Would it really be improved, though? Assuming climate change means (amongst other things) a) more damaging storms and b) the desertification of formerly fertile growing areas, it might not be that good of an effect.

He asked for possible benefits. And I included "possible".

No one knows for sure what all the implications are. Some are possibly good, some are possibly bad. And a lot depends on rate, etc.

As for destroying fertile areas, the volcano link I gave earlier talked about how global cooling destroyed very fertile areas of the Nile. We just can't win. Global warming will destroy our crops, global cooling will destroy our crops...
Old 02-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #90
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Wow, I didn't know reposting articles from Drudge took "stones". Good to know

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 02-27-2007 at 02:34 PM.
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #91
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

i wish there was another board... an FOFC alternative... where i could discuss things. someone should make such a message board and put it in their signature. i'd go there. i would.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #92
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The #1 reason I can not be a Christian. Iced coffee tasting terrible is a core belief of mine.

Remember kids, once we destroy Christianity, Atheism will have the vast majority of idiots. And then we'll hate that religion too.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #93
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He asked for possible benefits. And I included "possible".

No one knows for sure what all the implications are. Some are possibly good, some are possibly bad. And a lot depends on rate, etc.

As for destroying fertile areas, the volcano link I gave earlier talked about how global cooling destroyed very fertile areas of the Nile. We just can't win. Global warming will destroy our crops, global cooling will destroy our crops...
Without getting into the "whys" of global warming (I think most of us recognize that the planet is in fact in a warming trend), what's important to note is that the effects of global warming are less about "good" and "bad" so much as they are about significant changes. Unless greenhouse gas emissions get so out of control that the Earth's atmosphere falls into a negative feedback cycle similar to what astronomers suspect happened with Venus, life will adapt on the planet.

However, human civilization may not be able to adapt rapidly enough to avoid huge political crises driven by significant changes in resource access and availability - that is what is concerning about potential changes to the planet if global warming continues.

Last edited by dawgfan : 02-27-2007 at 02:50 PM.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #94
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Not really:
Quote:
While the computer linked these reduced northern hemisphere temperatures to Laki, it also connected the dots to a weak monsoon -- the seasonal winds that bring the annual rains to southern Asia and northern Africa. The unusual cold in the North lessened the temperature contrast between the land and the oceans, upon which the monsoon winds rely for their development and strength.

The modeling showed significant warming that occurred in the region west to east across Africa to the southern Arabian Peninsula and on to India during the summer of 1783. With little or no monsoon, there were no clouds to bring rain for the rivers or shield the surface from evaporation. Little or no rain, no irrigating floods, no crops and no food -- all conspired to bring about the situation Volney described, and all were traceable back to Laki.
The volcano created localized warming in some areas and localized cooling in others. The combination created a drought in northern Africa.

However, your point that any temperature fluctuation will have a large effect is true, which is why people are striving to keep our temperatures stable.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #95
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Remember kids, once we destroy Christianity, Atheism will have the vast majority of idiots. And then we'll hate that religion too.

Did Dutch just say that Christians are idiots? Because that's what it looks like he said.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #96
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

To respond to the initial post...

The major issue I have with "An Inconvenient Truth" is that I feel it spends too much time focusing on the messenger. This is especially a problem give the messenger's history in the political arena - regardless of the message itself, the history of the messenger will result in a significant segment of the population dismissing the information simply because of who it is delivering it.

Without passing specific judgment on Al Gore's actions (and I suspect there's a lot more to this story than the initial Drudge Report indicates as seen by the follow-up report from the Tennessean), it's too bad that the focus on the messenger detracts from the message.

If it's true that Gore is a hypocrite, then lambaste him. But the primary focus should be on his message and the legitimacy of the science behind it.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #97
Subby
lolzcat

Aside from all the awesomeness going on this thread, I do think it is wasteful for anyone to live in a 10,000 sq ft house. Unless you have 30 kids.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #98
Drake
assmaster

When I was in college, my wife and I lived in a 1,000 sq ft house with our kids. We had very low electric bills.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #99
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Aside from all the awesomeness going on this thread, I do think it is wasteful for anyone to live in a 10,000 sq ft house. Unless you have 30 kids.

Wasteful? I'd use all of that on myself and it would not be wasteful. I'd get to have an XBox360 room, a Nintendo Wii room, a home theater room, a LEGO room, a library, indoor tennis court....not wasteful at all!
Old 02-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #100
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ephesians 4:29

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Ephesians 4:31-32

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice. And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote