Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #201
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
If it's Steele I think that fans might riot. But barring something crazy, it's looking likely to be Pedergast with Orgeron as a strong possibility at DL coach

Better get ready to riot.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:14 AM   #202
Tigercat
College Starter

First things first: Steele was far from being on the list of guys I wanted, and the informed fan base is indeed not happy.

But I look at it this way: Chavis's reputation amongst college football fans wasn't that high after Tennessee either. Chavis's popular knock was he couldn't get his D off the field on third down, Steele's last Clemson season and last game against WVU is his. Chavis's tactical rep was better than Steele's is/was however, but Steele also recruits better. Louisiana produces a sick amount of defensive talent, and it made Chavis look better than he looked at Tennessee, maybe the same will happen for Steele? We shall see.

I am still stunned that Miles would offer Steele when he never offered Pendergast or Shoop.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #203
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

KS is a good dude.
May not know this but he and John Chavis are from the same very small SC town, Dillon.

Steele is a great football mind, spent some time in the NFL etc.

Here is my rub with him as a DC. He gets so nervous on gameday he doesnt eat all day before the game, otherwise he pukes. Even night games, he wont eat ALL DAY. In the orange bowl debacle against WVU he was calling blitzes that hadnt been practiced in 2 years. After the game he was given an IV after passing out from low blood sugar essentially.

Mobile QBs are his Kryptonite. Andy Dalton ran for 140 yards against Clemson's Steele defense in the rain. It wasn't Steele's last Clemson season it was every year there.

His other issue is his D is VERY VERY complex. We used to call it the Jazz Hands Defense because of all the hand signals our LBs were required to make and often were still signaling in the adjustments when the ball was snapped.

Finally he is as good against a pro style O as anyone in America, but HUNH spread is not good for him.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #204
cschex
High School Varsity

*sigh* That's what I'm worried about, since it isn't like that offense is going away. Interestingly enough, there are rumors today that Orgeron will be named to the staff so I was half right in my prediction. There has been quite the meltdown over Steele in the last 18 hours on the message boards but I just hope that he calmed down some in his second stint with Bama.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #205
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
*sigh* That's what I'm worried about, since it isn't like that offense is going away. Interestingly enough, there are rumors today that Orgeron will be named to the staff so I was half right in my prediction. There has been quite the meltdown over Steele in the last 18 hours on the message boards but I just hope that he calmed down some in his second stint with Bama.

DOLA - Orgeron confirmed. Well at least recruiting wont be a problem
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #206
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Not sure where to put this so I will put it here.

Wisconsin's admission standards pushed Gary Andersen to Oregon St. - CBSSports.com

I'm no Dodd fan at all, but I dont understand why Andersen would come out and be saying this kind of stuff. The money is the same, the working relationship with Alvarez was good, the school is a step-down from Wisconsin. Is it really because he couldnt get idiots in? But you can at Oregon State? Amazing.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #207
tarcone
Coordinator

This is going on at Iowa, also. Our president is retiring, so the fans are hoping the new president will be a pro-athletics president, and loosen standards a bit.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM   #208
lungs
Pro Rookie

One of those things where there is some culpability on both sides but in the end everybody is happy all around. Andersen likes JuCo guys and that just isn't the type of player that has historically been used at Wisconsin.

In the end, Andersen finds a better fit for himself and Wisconsin gets the guy they probably originally wanted when they hired Andersen in Paul Chryst. Andersen was a standout guy in his time here (unlike Bielema), so I hope it works out for him at Oregon St.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #209
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Interesting take from a local - thanks lungs.

I would have that the Badger faithful would have been rolling over in laughter because of this. He's basically saying he cant win without a certain type of student athlete. Hello, negative recruiting!
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #210
bronconick
College Starter

CMU coach Dan Enos leaves for OC at Arkansas.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote