Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #3551
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Notre Dame would make no sense. Just the travel/game times alone would be a barrier. I doubt the golden domers want to stay up until midnight to watch regular season basketball games.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #3552
MrBug708
Head Coach

I dont disagree with what has been said. Larry Scott is a visionary so he def. has "just in case" plans
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #3553
MrBug708
Head Coach

Fox Sports is hiring Gus Johnson and will be assigning him to the PAC-12 football games
Old 05-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #3554
Butter
Coordinator

Gus doesn't bring as much to football as he does to basketball.

I don't think "Rise and Fire" translates very well there.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #3555
MrBug708
Head Coach

Gus is money in key parts. He's solid but not great outside of the last five minutes of a basketball game. He has a few good calls in football still as well as basketball. That being said, I think he'll probably do some PAC-12 basketball games
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #3556
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Fox Sports is hiring Gus Johnson and will be assigning him to the PAC-12 football games
Very exciting news.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #3557
Logan
Head Coach

I love Gus for the dramatics, but which NCAA game was it where he questioned if the team should foul in the closing seconds of a tie game? His partner almost murdered him.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #3558
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Given the group of cast-offs and also-rans we've been subjected to on the regional Fox Sports networks (Steve Physioc, Barry Tompkins, Petros Papadakis, etc.), getting Gus is a HUGE upgrade.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #3559
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think Petros is fine as an analyst
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #3560
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think Petros is fine as an analyst
He's OK, but the sound of his voice is like nails on a chalkboard.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #3561
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Los Angeles & Chicago — The Voice renowned for March Madness buzzer-beaters is now The Voice of fall’s gridiron glory and more as FOX Sports Media Group has named Gus Johnson lead play-by-play announcer for its college football coverage and men’s basketball on the Big Ten Network. He will team with FOX Sports football analyst Charles Davis to form the Group’s lead college football announce team. The announcement was made today by FOX Sports Executive Producer and Co-President & COO, FOX Sports Media Group, Eric Shanks.

This season, Johnson and Davis call Big 12, Conference USA and Pac-12 regular-season games on FX, as well as a pair of games for Big Ten Network, one of FOX’s two conference football championship games and the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic. In 2012, they’ll call FOX’s regular-season over-the-air broadcast schedule, culled primarily from the network’s recently completed rights agreement with the Pac-12, as well as the aforementioned postseason assignments. In addition, Johnson also continues as the lead play-by-play voice for college basketball on Big Ten Network, will call FOX’s Pac-12 men’s basketball tournament games come 2013 and select NFL on FOX broadcasts following the college football season this year.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #3562
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

wtf is that?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #3563
Swaggs
Coordinator

Sounds like the Big East floated the idea of football-only membership to BYU and it went nowhere: Could BYU Join WVU in the Big East? - WVU Football Headlines - WVillustrated.com

It would be interesting to see if they would bite at a full membership. Good to see some outside the box thinking -- I'd much rather see BYU than a lot of the other names being thrown around (despite their obvious geographic challenges for the BE).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #3564
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Sounds like the Big East floated the idea of football-only membership to BYU and it went nowhere: Could BYU Join WVU in the Big East? - WVU Football Headlines - WVillustrated.com

It would be interesting to see if they would bite at a full membership. Good to see some outside the box thinking -- I'd much rather see BYU than a lot of the other names being thrown around (despite their obvious geographic challenges for the BE).

I don't think BYU would bite unless their is a richer T.V. deal or more money involved..we had the level playing field with Utah until the PAC just inked that nasty ass T.V. deal, Utah just jumped WAY ahead of BYU in the money there.

But AD Tom Holmoe had a state of the program interview the other day and as stated, BYU is completely happy where they are at and are having a lot of the bigger schools already contact them for scheduling.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #3565
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pretty good summary of where the Big East is right now: Army, Navy might hold key to Big East football expansion - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

It looks like they are tossing around the idea of adding Army, Navy, and East Carolina as football-only members or going to 12 football/20 all sports (with a split possible in that scenario) with East Carolina, UCF, and Houston in order to get the best possible TV deal.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #3566
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pac-12 may be looking at another $1 billion - CBSSports.com

Quote:
Commissioner Larry Scott said Tuesday that the league's media arm could earn the conference an additional $1 billion over a seven-to-10 period. The previously announced Pac-12 Media Enterprises is a kind of holding company, according to Scott, that would bundle the league's new network, the digital rights and the conference's sponsorship and licensing (Pac-12 Properties).

Quote:
He later added: "That is a broad figure that has been thrown out to us by media investors. That's a potential minimum value over a seven-to-10 year period."

Dividing $1 billion among 12 schools could mean an additional $83 million is gross revenue total per school. Depending the on length of the deal, that means Pac-12 Media Enterprises alone could produce an additional $8.3 million-$11.9 million per year for each school. The schools already are guaranteed an average of $21 million per school in the ESPN-Fox deal.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #3567
Swaggs
Coordinator

Another article on the unsettled state of the Big East: For Big East, where is all this leading? - The Boston Globe

A few interesting nuggets:
--looks like Villanova needed 6 votes to get an invitation, but Pitt, Rutgers and WVU all voted against it. The same three ADs left the Big East meetings early this week.
--ESPN made an early extension offer (Big East's deal doesn't expire until next year) that would have jumped the football school's money up to around $11-million per, but the league declined it. They seem to think that, since they are the last BCS conference available, they might be able to get a bidding war going. It is inferred that the offer was ESPN's best, that they tossed around numbers for a 9- or 10-team Big East (with UCF as the possible 10th member?) and that it may not be around when their original deal expires.
--Speculation that, if the Big Ten expands again, Maryland and Georgia Tech would be their top targets and that would throw the ACC and Big East into disarray once again.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #3568
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Big restructuring in revenue distribution in the Big 12. Second tier rights are now equally distributed amongst all ten teams. Also, 76% of first tier rights will be distributed equally, with the balance being used to encourage tougher non-conference scheduling in the revenue sports. In addition, each school will receive a signing fee off the second tier rights that start in 2012.

Big 12 changes revenue-sharing policy
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #3569
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Big restructuring in revenue distribution in the Big 12. Second tier rights are now equally distributed amongst all ten teams. Also, 76% of first tier rights will be distributed equally, with the balance being used to encourage tougher non-conference scheduling in the revenue sports. In addition, each school will receive a signing fee off the second tier rights that start in 2012.

Big 12 changes revenue-sharing policy

So the article concludes that they are keeping the conference name for identity purposes. Like this conference has been around for so long. Do people really care about the conference name that much? I grew up a Big 8 fan for like 15 years and really could care less that it is now called the Big 12. Would the Big 10 and the Big 12 switching names really be that huge of a deal? I think fans of the Pac-8 or the SWC or the even the new Pac-12 next year really could care less. It is so stupid to explain to a non sports fan why the big 12 and big 10 have the exact opposite number of teams.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #3570
sooner333
College Starter

Just be happy there is a Big 12.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #3571
molson
General Manager

Maybe they should call it the Big 10, that would be confusing.

I don't think it really matters what they'd call it, but they'd have to go in an entirely new direction here and I can see not wanting do that. What would they call it instead - The Big Midwest? The Corn Conference? The Texas Longhorns and Friends Conference? I can see just sticking with Big 12, we all know what conference that is. And they might very well have two more teams in the next few years. Or they might not exist. But either way, I can see why you just want to keep your name.

Last edited by molson : 06-05-2011 at 11:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #3572
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Dan Beebe talks about Tom Osborne and the NU move.

Dan Beebe details Osborne's Big 12 distaste - College Football Nation Blog - ESPN
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #3573
General Mike
Pro Starter

Big X conference, pronounce the X like Ecks
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #3574
digamma
Torchbearer

Most of the projections I am seeing do not have Mizzou losing a game in the Big Ten this season.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #3575
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Most of the projections I am seeing do not have Mizzou losing a game in the Big Ten this season.

You can thank the fact that Illinois cancelled their series for that scenario. Our automatic 1-0 every year against the B10 is gone for now.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #3576
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Seattle U will join the WAC next year, joining Denver as the other non-football member of that league starting next year.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #3577
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Seattle U will join the WAC next year, joining Denver as the other non-football member of that league starting next year.

Great. So who's gonna play football for them?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #3578
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Great. So who's gonna play football for them?

Joining as a non-football member like Denver is. WAC will have 7 football schools until they get an 8th one whenever.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #3579
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pretty interesting (but short) stuff about how ESPN's lowball negotiations led to the Big Ten getting POed and starting the BTN: Big Ten: ESPN's lowball offer triggered Big Ten expansion - chicagotribune.com
Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #3580
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

Maybe the University of Phoenix will join them... An online football program might just work!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #3581
DeToxRox
Head Coach

No, this probably has no legit legs but there are some reports that Texas A&M could be having a regents meeting Thursday to discuss moving to the SEC. If nothing else it's fun to be able to speculate some more.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #3582
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
No, this probably has no legit legs but there are some reports that Texas A&M could be having a regents meeting Thursday to discuss moving to the SEC. If nothing else it's fun to be able to speculate some more.

The rumor a few days ago was the SEC wanted stadium upgrades done and A&M was trying to secure $100 million to make that happen.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #3583
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The word down here is that the A&M regents meeting is to discuss possibilities of creating a rival to the Longhorn Network.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #3584
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The rumor a few days ago was the SEC wanted stadium upgrades done and A&M was trying to secure $100 million to make that happen.

Really? Doesn't Kyle Field hold like 90k, or is it luxury seating that they have to upgrade? I guess if I was a SEC alumn who was shelling out all that money for players I wouldn’t want to sit on bleachers either.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #3585
sooner333
College Starter

I don't think anything is going to happen fast (i.e., this summer), but I am beginning to think more and more that the Big 12 won't last too long in its current state.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:20 PM   #3586
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I don't think anything is going to happen fast (i.e., this summer), but I am beginning to think more and more that the Big 12 won't last too long in its current state.
You and pretty much everyone else. The Longhorn Network is just going to cause too much imbalance for the other schools like Oklahoma & A&M to stomach.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #3587
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Will get a laugh out of Mizzou groveling to get into the Big Ten for the sole purposes of MBBF should the Big 12 end anytime soon.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #3588
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Will get a laugh out of Mizzou groveling to get into the Big Ten for the sole purposes of MBBF should the Big 12 end anytime soon.

Incorrect, the Big Ten will be begging Mizzou to join.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #3589
Swaggs
Coordinator

If the Big 12 does fall apart, I will be really interested to see if the Big East could pull in Kansas, KSU, and Missouri. If so, that would probably give the Big East enough of a solid base to split and still have an outstanding basketball conference and it would certainly form a better football conference than adding some of the CUSA candidates or Villanova.

They could split up pretty nicely into pretty balanced West and East divisions:
East: Rutgers, UConn, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, USF
West: Louisville, Cincy, TCU, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State

Outside of enough of the ACC getting canabilized by Big Ten and SEC expansion, that would probably be the best the Big East could hope for without an extremely radical realignment.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #3590
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I mean honestly, how unsurprising is this?

Quote:
Statement from Texas A&M AD Bill Byrne on The Longhorn Network
by Andy Staples on Thursday, July 21, 2011 at 7:18pm

STATEMENT FROM TEXAS A&M DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS BILL BYRNE IN RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS RAISED BY MEDIA REGARDING THE LONGHORN TELEVISION NETWORK:

“I have continued to have concerns about the Longhorn Network since the original announcement by ESPN and Texas. Since last summer, the Big 12 member institutions have committed to work together in a spirit of unity and equality. Recent news reports concerning this network; however, have created a considerable amount of uncertainty.

We had an agreement in place that Big 12 members would have the right to one non-conference football game and four to six basketball games for third tier, or institutional rights. The concept of the Longhorn Network broadcasting two live football games -- with one of these being a conference game -- had not been discussed among the Big 12 athletic directors.

Our concerns were heightened further when news reports surfaced that the Longhorn Network would be broadcasting high school football games featuring Texas high school recruits, including recruits living outside the state of Texas. Knowing how restrictive NCAA rules are regarding any collegiate representative contacting prospects, we contacted the NCAA for an interpretation. We are still waiting for the NCAA's response.

I have continued to communicate our concerns to the conference office and my fellow athletic directors. We are pleased that the Commissioner has started to address these concerns, but many questions remain. These are significant issues for all of collegiate athletics as they relate to broadcast rights, revenue distribution and the recruitment of student-athletes.”
Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM   #3591
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Maybe the University of Phoenix will join them... An online football program might just work!

Actually the next WAC team was announced... it is Texas-Arlington

The thought is UTA will likely bring back football, but for now they are another non-football team. Allegedly the WAC would like to get to 12 overall with 9 football members, they are currently at 10 and 7.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #3592
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

This has been Jim's secret project for the last 5 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #3593
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Lots of talk in the Big 12 and college media that SEC is only willing to expand if A&M, OU, OSU, and Mizzou will join. All four of those schools are the ones voicing concern over the Longhorn Network in its current form. Should make for an interesting football media day for Mr. Beebe.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #3594
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

why on earth would the SEC want missouri?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #3595
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Aaaaaaand we're off!
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #3596
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

aTm in the West and either FSU/VT or Clemson in the East.
Of course Clemson's President is too stupid to understand sports and has publically stated that he would decline any invitation to leave the ACC due "to the superior academic prowess of it's member institutions."

I hate Barker... really aTm OU OSU and Mizzou makes no sense as it would totaly unbalance the SEC....but keep dreaming
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #3597
Swaggs
Coordinator

I actually think NC State and Virginia Tech make a lot of sense for the SEC to balance out the Eastern side if Oklahoma and ATM join up. NC State and VPI would both extend the SEC's footprint without adding redundant markets (like Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, etc. would) and offer similar types of schools. Their ties to other in-state schools make it unlikely, though.

I saw a crazy rumor (by an actual newspaper writer, at least) that the Big Ten was sniffing around Maryland, UVA, Duke, and UNC. It make a lot of sense from the Big Ten's perspective, but it would be hard to imagine Duke and UNC giving up their seats in power positions.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #3598
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I think T. Boone Pickens is going to make very difficult any plan that splits up Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #3599
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
really aTm OU OSU and Mizzou makes no sense as it would totaly unbalance the SEC....but keep dreaming

Agree with this. Outside of OU basketball, you'd have four good football programs and three good basketball programs. In basketball, those B12 teams would control the West division (assuming LSU, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee/Vandy). Would make for very good football division.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-23-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #3600
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou FB coach doesn't mince words about LHN. Even goes out of his way to point out the even revenue distribution in the SEC.

"Pinkel: "There's just no common sense"" - Behind the Stripes - ColumbiaTribune.com