Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
Grover
Pro Starter

Daredevil on Netflix

Spoiler-Free Review: Marvel’s NewÂ*DaredevilÂ*Series Is Bloody Fantastic

Absolutely cannot wait for this to premier next Friday.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
The Jackal
Coordinator

I didn't realize D’Onofrio was in this, cool. It'll probably have a stigma attached to it from the terrible Affleck movie, but I'm enjoying House of Cards right now and hear good things about other Netflix series so I'm up for giving this a shot
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

really looking forward to this one!

FM
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #4
Grover
Pro Starter

I've watched the first half of the season and I have to say, I am very impressed.

There's a lot of depth to the characters. The actors are very good in their roles. The story is strong.

However, the one thing above all others that has me more impressed than anything else: Vincent D'Onofrio's performance as Wilson Fisk is transcendent. From his very first scene in the art gallery in episode three, to the final scene in episode five. He has been absolutely fantastic. He is ruthless, menacing, calculated. He is the embodiment of what Kingpin should be.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I actually just finished this last night. Wasn't perfect, but was very very good and is now on my must watch if a season two comes along. The cinematography was outstanding. Just a very nice looking show. The fight scenes were some of the better fight scenes I have ever seen.

Charlie Cox as Daredevil was phenomenal. D'Onofrio was fantastic, although his voice was pretty forced at times, but otherwise outstanding. I did find Foggy and Karen, the two partners of Daredevil, to be a little grating and forced, especially foggy. They were really the only two people/parts of the show that I found that kept this from being an easy 10/10 for me, and unfortunately they are two major characters. But, even then, they are not enough to take away from the many things that I found great about this show.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I binge watched the full season over two days last weekend. I wasn't bored, but I also wasn't amazed either. I felt they did some bad things in the name of shock value or whatnot, but it was a very Frank Miller Daredevil. Gotta respect that.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

so good
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

D'Onofrio is absolutely brilliant IMO. One of the most nuanced, complex superhero villains I've seen in a while. (I think the script and arc had quite a bit to do with it, too).

Took me a while to really get into Cox, but by the end, I was perfectly fine with him. Agreed that Karen and Foggy are a bit obnoxious, but perhaps that's because most of the rest of the cast is so strong.

That said, I'm not in love with the series like a lot of other people. There's some flaws here and there that prevent it from being truly exceptional. But it's quite good and definitely worth watching IMO.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Watched 4-5 eps last night. Not really into "super hero" shit but this is a pretty good show. I actually like Daredevil's partners and find Private Pyle as Fisk to be a bit grating. His accent is just off to me.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

If you like Daredevil, Jessica Jones bows next weekend!
Old 03-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
hoopsguy
General Manager

If you like Daredevil, then Season 2 comes out today!
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Looking forward to it. Enjoyed aeason 1 and I'm not a huge comic fan.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I loved both Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Me and my girl have set aside pretty much all day Sunday for season 2 of Daredevil.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #14
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
I didn't realize D’Onofrio was in this, cool. It'll probably have a stigma attached to it from the terrible Affleck movie, but I'm enjoying House of Cards right now and hear good things about other Netflix series so I'm up for giving this a shot

Hmm....I might need to check this out. Yeah I have to admit that Affleck kinda ruined this character for me to where I have seen this series and completely dismissed it until I saw some of the posts here.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #15
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I never saw the Affleck version, but this show is incredibly good. Some of the best fight choreography I've ever seen.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought it was pretty good, but I kind of liked Jessica Jones a tad more. Save for a few parts of it that weren't so great. I thought Luke Cage had almost zero charisma as an actor.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #17
hoopsguy
General Manager

Think I liked the first season better. The Hand stuff felt like the weakest part of the season, with the Punisher elements at the outset being very compelling content.

I didn't read this particular comic book, but would be curious to hear how closely these episodes aligned with the Marvel universe vs deviating into their own space.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:58 PM   #18
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm actually worried about successive seasons. I liked season two better than season one, but it was mainly because of The Punisher. Like you, I didn't find the Hand storyline to be very compelling at all, so next season could easily be a let-down.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #19
spleen1015
Coordinator

Put me in the camp that didn't find the Hand story line all that interesting either.

I didn't read the comics, but I'm pretty sure
Spoiler
Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yes. The stuff with The Hand wasn't interesting. The whole "Black Sky" subplot didn't make much sense to me. I didn't quite get all of that. Too many disposable ninjas.

Daredevil/Matt Murdock, the character, was also much more irritating this season than last season. I just didn't care for him and he was kind of a preachy jerk. Maybe it was because I recently watched the first two seasons of Arrow, where they did this to death (pun intended), but I am a bit tired of the "you can't kill! Once you do, you can never go back!" line of thinking...

The Punisher was fantastic. I never really cared for the character in the comics, but he was great on the show.

Everything in the prison was fantastic.

Elektra was really good.

Foggy was great.

Karen was good until she wrote her "article." That shit was awful. I liked her editor at the newspaper.

The chain/stairwell fight and the prison fight were amazing action set pieces. Just phenomenal work.

I'd rank it below the first season of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, mainly because of Killgrave. He was awesome. One of the best villains ever.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yes. The stuff with The Hand wasn't interesting. The whole "Black Sky" subplot didn't make much sense to me. I didn't quite get all of that. Too many disposable ninjas.

The thing that I didn't get was
Spoiler

Quote:
Daredevil/Matt Murdock, the character, was also much more irritating this season than last season. I just didn't care for him and he was kind of a preachy jerk. Maybe it was because I recently watched the first two seasons of Arrow, where they did this to death (pun intended), but I am a bit tired of the "you can't kill! Once you do, you can never go back!" line of thinking...

I wasn't as concerned about the moralizing (because, along with the Catholicism, that's kind of a big deal for the character, is dancing up to that line without crossing it) as I was about
Spoiler

Quote:
Karen was good until she wrote her "article." That shit was awful. I liked her editor at the newspaper.

Wasn't he
Spoiler
Old 04-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #22
RainMaker
General Manager

Are they making a Punisher show on Netflix? That was the best part of the season by far. Daredevil got annoying.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:46 AM   #23
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Wasn't he
Spoiler

The short answer is no.

Spoiler

I'm with you on your other lines of thinking.