Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Exercising the Option:An Air Force NCAA 2006 Dynasty

If any of you folks missed it, Air Force just held a press conference naming me, Sam Benson, as their new head coach. I'm very excited, but even more nervous, as I know that this could be my only chance to be a successful head football coach, and my last chance to save my crumbling marriage (but don't let the media in on that last little nugget).

At the press conference, I stated multiple times that I have no intention of changing Air Force's option style offense. People have asked if this is because I feel the option is an effective scheme. Well, yes, and maybe the fact that the old coach left a copy of his playbook in my new office, and I'm too lazy to make my own(let's add this to the "our little secret" pile).

Some have criticized the fact that I don't know any of the players names, and refuse to learn them. Well, last I checked, this was a team game...11-on-11, and I'll be damned if some punk kid thinks he's gonna get name recognition. Not in my program! I may learn my skill position players' names-if I can find that damn copy of Athlon...

I'm going to have the game set to 8 minute quarters and All-American difficulty. The sliders I will start out using will be code-named "Da4xRo82". These are being used as a starting point, and are subject to change on a whim.

In the preseason 119, we're ranked 77th, in between Mississippi State and Illinois. Our overall team grade is a C minus. I may have to hide a flask of Jack Daniels in my jacket on the sidelines. Our DT #88 is on the pre-season all-MWC 2nd team. What kind of number is 88 for a defensive tackle? I always knew military people were weird....

Florida's Ben Hill Griffith Stadium is the Toughest Place to play. We're not on that list. Here's the predicted order of finish for the Mountain West Conference:

1.New Mexico
2.Colorado State
3.Utah
4.Wyoming
5.BYU
6.TCU
7.Air Force
8.San Diego State
9.UNLV

Next post: Initial Recruiting, redshirts, and the first game of the year:@Washington

Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Dear Fans,

Coach Benson here again...Ok, I went ahead and made my final redshirt decisions for the 2005 season. I didn't redshirt many guys. Between you and me, most of them probably joined the football to be around a bunch of buff guys (add to secret pile). I mean, most of them are borderline D-1 talent.QB #5 is our best player, at 84 overall, with HB#18 close behind at 82 overall. We'll get to know some more players later. Anyhoo, I redshirted the following guys:

SS#47-68 ovr. Jr.
RG#61-62 ovr Jr.

I'm redshirting a guy who's a 62 overall...Why am I doing this? I don't know. He can be in charge of scouring the stands for a replacement of soon to be ex-Mrs. Rosalee Benson..

I had 12 open schollies, so I picked the 12 positions of need for guys to recruit during the season. Here's who I decided on:

4-star:

T Richard Jackson-6'4" 325 out of Oceanside, CA
DE Matt Higdon-6'3" 264 out of Willoughby Hills, OH
MLB Derek Wilson-6'4" 225 out of Pearland, TX
OLB Jermaine Barnes 5'11 215 out of Eastlake, OH
C Shaun Diggs 6'2" 277 out of Valdosta, GA
WR Tyler Shuler 6'5" (!!!) 190 out of Hillsborough, NC
MLB Darryl Perry 6'3" 240 out of Morehead City, NC

3-star:

SS Joe Riley 5'11 208 out of Alameda, CA
WR Gary Robertson 5'10" 180 out of Newport Beach, CA
TE Steve Pace 6'3" 252 out of Georgetown, TX
FS Jerry Moncur 6'0" 195 out of Alliance, OH
TE Daniel Clay 6'7" 265 out of Henderson, TN

The goal here is to get two great-blocking tight ends. I'm not sure which receivers would be better for the option game, so I just went with my gut. All of the lineman available for in-season recruiting were balanced, so I couldn't choose. We'll see how interested they are in coming to Air Force after Week 1

Here's the Air Force Schedule for 2005:

@Washington
San Diego State
Wyoming
@Utah
@Colorado State
@Navy
TCU
@BYU
Army
@New Mexico

The last game is @ the team picked to win the conference. Yee-haw. 4 home games this year. FOUR!?! That's how many road games Nebraska plays over the course of two seasons. My marriage is doomed. I just get this weird feeling that after I come home from that Navy game, that guy 'Wade' who manages the Applebee's down the road is going to be there. I'll keep you posted.

Next up: The first game of the year!
Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 PM   #3
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Yay, my new favorite NCAA06 dynasty =)
Old 07-18-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

USC is atop both polls. Arizona State doubles up on Temple 34-17 in the only scheduled contest in week 1.

In-Season Recruiting Update

At the outset, we are atop the list for Tight Ends Steve Pace and Daniel Clay

Game Highlights: @Washington

We get great weather for this night game at Husky Stadium in Seattle. The beautifully mowed grass is a far-cry from the field at San Jose City College, where I used to coach. I send out my captains for the coin toss. They call tails. It comes up heads. Even the damn coin is against us already. Washington elects to receive.

First play of the game, from Washington's own 38: Touchdown on a HB dive straight up the gut, and straight through my gut. Good thing I've got the booze. I immediately begin yelling at my defensive coordinator, Wendell. 7-0, Washington out in front.

Washington throws it over my blitz on a 2 & 12 for a 70 yar TD. 14-0 Washington, and there's still 4:30 left in the first quarter.

My next possession, I drive 55 yards on 12 plays, but settle for a field goal when a 3rd & 6 option from the opposing 14 is dropped for a 7 yard loss. Progress. 14-3 Washington with 7:30 to play in the 2nd quarter.

My defense gains confidence, thankfully. I force them to two punts in a row. Then, the option pulls a Peter Frampton and comes alive. When you run it smoothly, it really does seem magical. I almost lost everything when I fumbled at the UW 30 yard line. Thankfully, one of my lineman dove on it after a few agonizing seconds. Nothing feels worse than driving and then watching as your team stands around a loose ball, only to see some defender dive in and take it. I eventually scored on a left-side option pitch to my halfback for a 20 yard TD scamper. With 2:32 left in the half, Washington 14, Air Force 10. We have a ball game.

Washington gets a 74 yard TD pass. Don't even wanna talk about it. 1:48 to go in the half. Washington up 21-10. Fuck.

I decide to try and strike back quickly with something unexpected: a play-action pass on first down. What's the worst that could happen? Oh..I suppose if my QB got sacked and had back spasms for the rest of the ga---#$%!#$^^^&$%^#$%!!!!!! I'm screwed. My back-up is a 65 rating with barely any speed. This game is over. Sure enough, Washington gets the ball back and scores with seconds to play in the half. 28-10 Huskies.

They intercept a pass and make a field goal. Whoop-de-doo. At Halftime, 31-10 Washington

First play of second half: Option with new QB, fumble, UW recovers
Second play of second half: TD Washington

Washington later adds a FG

End of 3: UW 41, USAFA 10

The 4th Quarter is a cacophony of mistakes. Our return man fumbles a kickoff, and after one of the few successful pass plays, the receiver fumbles. Washington puts in their scrubs, but it doesn't matter. Just to pour a little salt in our wounds, they finish the game running the option for a TD. Nice.

Final Score: Washington 61, Air Force 13

What went right:

Our option attack proved very effective for most of the first half. We got first downs, and even kept Washington close until my QB got hurt.

We held Washington to 1/7 on third downs. If only we could have gotten them to have more third downs

What went wrong:

Everything else. Our defensive was anemic, Our receivers dropped most of the few passes we attempted, and even our special teams fumbled away a possession. No more turnovers. I'm going to a bar in downtown Seattle and talking shit to Husky fans tonight.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 07-18-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Another NCAA 2006 Dynasty! Hooray!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
MacroGuru
Coordinator

LOL....I am going to be tired reading all of these....
Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I edited my earlier post to include the rest of the "highlights" from opening game.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:13 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Everything else. Our defensive was anemic, Our receivers dropped most of the few passes we attempted, and even our special teams fumbled away a possession. No more turnovers. I'm going to a bar in downtown Seattle and talking shit to Husky fans tonight.

LOL!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Well, after that Week 2 debacle vs. Washington, we're home and ready to face one of the two teams picked below us in conference=San Diego State. If we get mauled in this game, I may just re-think this whole coaching thing. My stripping coach, Shooter McElroy told me I coulda been a top earner. I was the best lap-dance in 3 sta--ahhh there I go again.

In Season Recruiting Update

We've made the top 8 list for 11 of our recruits, but we're close to the bottom for most of them. 3-star TE's Steve Pace and Daniel Clay have us at the top of their lists, and 4-star OLB Jermaine Barnes has us 3rd, behind Ohio State and Notre Dame. 4-star C Shaun Diggs has taken us out of consideration.

Player Misconduct

DT #88, our best defensive player, was seen by my grad assistant out past curfew last night. Our curfew is 8 p.m., and he out in front of Shakey's Pub damn near 10:30. I have decided to suspend him for one game.

Game Highlights: San Diego State

After failing to convert a 4th and 1 from my own 42, SDSU scores a TD to take a 7-0 lead.The defenses hold steady, and at the end of 1 the score is SDSU 7, Air Force 0

We begin the second quarter with a nice drive, the key play being a 3rd & 12 option from our own 9 that results in a 34 yard run by HB #18. I end the drive with a 1-yard plunge by the fullback on 3rd and Goal. 91 yard drive..niiiiice. Game tied 7-7 with 6:35 to go in the half.

QB #5 gets hurt again. Fuck. SDSU then uses our loss of composure to score quickly and make it 14-7 with 4:14 to go in the half.

We get our first turnover of a year: A user INT! Even better is that #5 has returned from his injury! Yes! Starting at the SDSU 33, we run it straight down their throats, and #5 runs an option keeper for 6 and we tie it 14-14, with :38 left in the half!

At Halftime: Air Force 14, San Diego State 14

Third quarter=terrible. We threw an INT, and SDSU scored two TD's. End of 3 SDSU 28, Air Force 14.

WE JUST THREW A TOUCHDOWN PASS! I never thought I'd see it happen. 28-21 SDSU with 6:07 to play in the game

SDSU scores on-guess what- a bomb to make 35-21. After we trade a few punts, I complete a pass, my 3rd of the game! The TE fumbles it! SDSU runs it back for a touchdown! Whoopsie! That's what I get for passing it.

FINAL SCORE: SDSU 42, AIR FORCE 21
Old 07-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #10
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Hang in there. Third time's the charm.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

What Went Right

Welp, the option attack is blossoming. 63 rushes for 317 yards. My QB ran 25 times for 104 yards.

We held the Aztecs to 73 rushing yards on 20 attempts.

What Went Wrong:

Heh....Well, my motherlovin' defense gives up way too many big plays. We can't return punts. My prostate is flarin' up...errr...I mean--the pass protection's flaring up. Wait. That doesn't even make any sense. The opposing QB went 20-31, 328 yds, 3 TD's, 1 INT. San Diego State is a passing team, but we have to do a much better job of forcing incompletions.

Slider adjustment

I have turned human knockdowns up from 65% to 70%.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Week 4

In Season recruiting

We make 3-star TE prospect Steve Pace's final 5. 4-star OLB Jermaine Barnes drops us off his list. I really thought we had a chance with him. Guess it just wasn't in the cards.

Next Game: vs. Wyoming (2-0)

Wyoming is a pass first team, which will really test our mettle, as the bums I have seen on the field have yet to do anything besides the "Matador" style defense. My plan for this game is to keep the ball away from Wyoming. I'm going to milk the play clock, and try to inch down the field. I am aiming for no more than 9 pass attempts. DT #88 is back, so hopefully he can add to our anemic pass rush, which has garnered one sack through two games. Our 27.5 pass yards per game ranks us dead last in the NCAA. It feels special to be at the helm and see the big ol' "#119" on the stats page :o

Let's get to the game!

Game Highlights

Wyoming wins the toss and receives. On 3rd and 8, DT#88 sacks the Wyoming QB! Yes! We have a 4th and 3 on the Wyo. 49. I ask Corso for advice. He suggests that we go for it, and that I call "Wing Back Lead", a play that is a guaranteed 3 yard loss. Go for it we do, but I choose a HB lead to the left side out of the I slot formation. It goes for 45 yards! TOUCHDOWN, QB#5! 7-0 Air Force with 5:19 left in the quarter. We have our first lead of the season! I think I'm going to renew my wedding vows with Rosy!!

I force a Wyoming punt, and throw an INT on the ensuing play. Then, on the next play, Wyoming throws an errant passing to my SS#31, who runs it all the way back for a TOUCHDOWN With 4:03 to play the 1st quarter, the score is Air Force 14, Wyoming 0.

Wyoming executes a beautiful drive for a TD, and the quarter ends with the score 14-7 Air Force.

After a failed 4th and 1 (where I was in field goal range, and listened to corso instead of taking the points), Wyoming drives and sets up a 1st and goal from the 5. After two incompletions, SS#31 intercepts a pass in the end zone! Huge! Can you say "game ball"?

Halftime: Air Force 14, Wyoming 14

At the end of 3, Wyoming 28, Air Force 17...Lowlight: Punt return for TD

Fourth Quarter: We fall behind 35-17, but instead of throwing in the towel like the first two games, we fight back by sticking to the game plan, eventually making the score 35-27. We even get the ball back with :50 to play and 1 T.O.L., but nothing happened offensively, and we lost. I'm pleased with the performance in this game, but we're going to need a miracle to have a winning season.

Final Score: Wyoming 35, Air Force 27

here are some stats:

Wyoming Air Force
Score 35 27
Total Yards 368 321
Rush/Yds 16/42 60/236
Comp/Att 15-31 7/19
Pass Yds. 326 85
Turnovers 2 2

Individuall Air Force stats of note:

Passing
QB#5: 7/19 85 yards, 0 TD. 2 INT

Rushing
HB#18 18/137, 1 TD
FB#8 14/69
HB#24 5/18
QB#5 23/12 ( ), 1 TD

SS#31-2 INT's

Last edited by Karlifornia : 07-19-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #13
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Game Highlights: @Utah

I don't think anyone realizes how much better every other team is than Air Force. We are HORRIBLE. Our offensive line is easily the worst in the country. We played a great game, or at least I thought we did, and we still lost to Utah 24-14. They outgained us 367-225. QB#5 threw 2 TD passes, that being the lone bright spot.

Note: I've decided to whip through this season, playing only a few games, getting a recruiting class in there, and hoping that maybe the O-Line can keep the defense out of the backfield at least 50% of the time next year
Old 07-20-2005, 04:24 PM   #14
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Week 6

In Season Recruiting

We're left with 5 recruits, and a realistic shot at only 4 of them. I decide to throw the house at 4-star RT Richard Jackson, out of beautiful Oceanside, CA. We've dropped from first to third on TE Daniel Clay's list. What is wrong with you punk kids!?! Don't you want to serve your country!?!?!

Marriage News

I called Rosalee after last night's loss to Utah. She told me she's rooting against us (well, against me) for the rest of the season. I called her a "Skank Bitch" and hung up the phone.

Conference Standings

1.TCU 2-2 (2-0)
2.Wyoming 3-1 (1-0)
3.New Mexico 2-2 (1-0)
4.SDSU 2-2 (1-0)
5.Utah 3-1 (1-1)
6.Colorado State 1-2 (0-0)
7.BYU 1-2 (0-1)
8.UNLV 3-1 (0-1)
9.Air Force 0-4 (0-3)

Coaches Top 5
1.USC 3-0
2.Ohio State 4-0
3.Oklahoma 3-0
4.Florida State 3-0
5.Virginia Tech 4-0

Ohio State knocked off Iowa 24-14 in Colombus last week, sending Iowa from #2 to #9.

Game Highlights: @Colorado State (simulated)

CSU is 1-2 heading into this game, with a passing offense nearly as terrible as ours (ranked 87th). QB#5 should tear them up on the ground, but I doubt it will be enough: Prediction-CSU 27, Air Force 20

Air Force started out hot, jumping to a 21-13 halftime lead. HB#18 ran in a TD with 8:09 to play in the third quarter to give us our biggest lead of the season=15 points. Then, Air Force looked more like the Guatemalan Air Force, giving up 22 unanswered points to lose, 35-28, and drop to 0-5.

QB#5 ran it 16 times for 73 yards, but CSU's QB #8 went 18/21 passing with 3 TD's and 0 INT's. Have mercy.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Week 7

(We're at Navy this week, and they suck, so I'm going to play it)

Game highlights:@Navy (played)

These two teams head into this one a combined 0-7. Today's game isn't being televised. If you want to call and complain to your cable company, let me know and I'll get you an address.

First Quarter: We get the pigskin first, and the option starts off with a 4 yard loss (and a fumble that we recover). After shaking off the cobwebs, we start to move the ball. The offensive line looks at ease against another shitty team. Sadly, our drive stalls at midfield and we're forced to punt it away. Navy's offense takes the field, and they immediately turn me into a defensive coaching genius. They use a 3-back offense, and 3 plays turn into -7 yards. They punt from their own 3 yard line. The field position helps us pound it for a TD. 7-0 Air Force with 3:27 left in the first period.

WR#85 injures his shoulder on the ensuing kickoff. Maybe they'll replace his injured arm with one that can catch a pass. Navy's slow-ass FB#36 somehow pierces my iron curtain D for 30 yards. Navy's QB scores on a long option run. 7-7 2:27 to play in the 1st Quarter.

Navy gets two ricochet INT's, and uses one of them to take a 14-7 lead. End of 1st, Navy 14, Air Whores 7

HB#18 fumbles after a 10 yard gain. Navy gets it. We force a 3 and out. We drive into Navy territory. 4th and inches....FB#8 PLOWS AHEAD FOR 4 YARDS...and fumbles. Navy gets it. The offenses have arrived in a stalemate

At Halftime, our score is Navy 14, Air Force 7

3rd quarter: Navy receives the kick. I'm thinking the two TD's were aberrations. They run it three times for a total of -5 yards. On the next drive it seems as if we're running downhill. HB#18 scores on a 20 yard scamper and tie the game at 14-14. Nevermind the fact that we have 1 passing yard. With 3:22 left in the third, Navy 14, Air Force 14

After a Navy punt, we come right back down the field and score on another HB#18 run. with 0:29 left in the third, Air Force 21, Navy 14

4th Quarter: Defense rules the 4th quarter, but still up by a TD, we drive deep into Navy territory. We get stuffed on 3rd down and we line up for a 30 yard FG. It hits the upright! The quarter stays scoreless until a 25 yard punt return by WR#81 gives us the ball at the Navy 40 yard line. QB#5, who's already had a big rushing day, hits paydirt on an option run highlighted by a fake-pitch that probably fooled even the cameramen. With 1:55 left Air Force 28, Navy 14

Oh, sweet mercy! Please, guys. Give me a gatorade bath! We're almost home!

The pain of our 0-5 start shines through as we get the ball back and run up the score with another HB#18 TD-His 4th of the game! with :34 left to play, the score isAir Force 35, Navy 14

Final Score, Air Force 35, Navy 14!! Air Force takes home the Commander-in-Chief Trophy!

Key Stats:

We ran the ball 68 times for 486 yards. We had 28 first downs to Navy's 7. QB#5 ran it 25 times for 207 yards and a TD, HB#18 ran it 20 times for 108 yards and 4, count 'em [u]4 TD's[u]. FB#8 ran it 15 times for 102 yards.

What went right:

The rushing game just plowed right over Navy. For once, the offensive line gave the option room to have more than just the "Get hit in the backfield" option.

Run defense. Navy ran it 31 times for 145 yards, but nearly all of those yards came in the first half, where Navy outscored us 14-7. The run game got shut down in the second half, and Navy was held to zero points.

What went wrong:

TURNOVERS. We had four turnovers. 2 INT's and 2 fumbles lost. We had 7 fumbles total. Against a MWC team, 4 turnovers will equal a blowout.

Air Force is now 1-5!!

Other scores:

#8 Georgia went into Knoxville and defeated #6 Tennessee 27-7. UGA is 5-0, while Tennessee drops to 3-2.

#23 Cal (5-1) defeated #15 UCLA (3-2) 37-19 in Pasadena.

Previously undefeated #12 Texas A&M (4-1) lost in OT 44-38 to #22 Colorado (4-1)

And in the Game of the Week, #18 Texas (3-2) defeated #3 Oklahoma (4-1) 31-28 in Dallas.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:17 PM   #16
jbmagic
Pro Starter

great dynasty. i am enjoying it.

how come you dont use real roster or generate random names for the players that the games lets you. so you wotn have hb #20, TE#32, etc for example.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #17
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsoccersim
LOL....I am going to be tired reading all of these....

Me too. But I like that!!! Go Air Force!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #18
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

[b]Week 8

Game Highlights: UNLV

Well, last night we had a game at home against University Nevada-Las Vegas. I'd give you all the details, but I'm not a sadist. Let's just say I put it on autopilot at 45-0. The final score was 55-7. QB#15 for UNLV had 6 TD passes. This is the team that was picked to finish last in the conference.

Week 9

The first Bowl Rankings are out. Here are the Top 10

1.USC
2.Ohio State
3.Florida State
4.Georgia
5.Virginia Tech
6.Oklahoma
7.Northwestern
8.Iowa
9.Texas
10.LSU

In-Season Recruiting

We made T Richard Jackson and TE Steve Pace's final 3 and scheduled visits for both. Richard Jackson will be here for our game against Army, and Pace will be at this week's contest against TCU. SS Joe Riley and TE Daniel Clay have us on their Top 5 lists.

Game Highlights: TCU(4-3)@Air Force(1-6)

TCU comes into Colorado Springs at the top of the MWC, with a 3-1 conference record. We come into this contest-well, we come into this game with the remnants of what was once our pride and nothing else. I have to constantly repeat to myself "QB#5 is only a sophomore...QB#5 is only a sophomore...".

1st quarter: TCU gets the ball first and goes 3 and out. On offense, we get to 4th and inches from our own 35. Now, most sane people would punt it in the first quarter. Not Sam Benson. QB#5 gets the first down, but the ref calls it in favor of the Horned Frogs. They get the ball in great position. On second down their QB throws it right to our ILB, and he runs it back to midfield! After a couple of big plays, FB#8 bounces outside for a 1 yard TD run. with 4:44 left in the 1st quarter, Air Force 7, TCU 0

At the end of the first quarter, Air Force 7, TCU 0

Second Quarter: The defenses hold steady until TCU connects for a 44 yard TD pass on 3rd and 10. Damnit. 4:10 to go in the half, Air Force 7, TCU 7

TCU's defense puts the clamps on our ground game once again, and we are force to give them the ball back. On another 3rd and 10 from midfield, they throw a long TD bomb. With 1:28 left in the half, TCU 14, Air Force 7

The offense sputters again, and we punt it away to TCU. A clipping penalty puts them back at their own 16. On a whim, I decide to stop the clock after each play. We hold them, and are left with :03 after the punt return. QB#5 feels the heat of the pass rush and chucks the ball downfield....WR#82 CATCHES IT FOR A TD!!! At halftime, Air Force and TCU are tied at 14

Third Quarter: We receive the kick to begin the second half. The ensuing drive is the most beautiful sequence of football I have seen us perform this season. The option worked, the normal runs worked, the pass worked. It was everything I wanted this offense to be. FB#8 ran it in from one yard to make itAir Force 21, TCU 14, with 6:02 left in the third quarter

TCU gets the ball, and after a first down run, the defense holds. They punt it to us, and new punt returner HB#24 (second HB in the flexbone and fastest guy on the team) TAKES IT ALL THE WAY BACK FOR A TOUCHDOWN!!! With 4:40 left in the third, Air Force 28, TCU 14

Our defense makes some great plays on the next TCU possession, forcing another quick punt. HB#24 returns this punt all the way down the TCU 24!! Three plays later, QB#5 runs in a 4 yard option to make it 35-14, Air Force, with 3:20 left in the third

I can't believe this. TCU is the leader of the conference, but we're mauling them. Even the offensive cyanide that is our offensive line is dominating! We stuff 'em again, and on our next possession, HB#18 busts a 62 yard run!

End of 3rd quarter, Air Force 35, TCU 14

On the second play of the 4th Q, HB#18 scores a 1-yard TD!42-14 Air Force! I briefly consider bringing in my second team offense, but then I realize QB#14 +our second team offensive line might just make the fans start projectile vomiting, and I want to keep Colorado clean!

HB#24 returns another punt for a TD and we add a FG to make the FINAL SCORE: AIR FORCE (2-6) 52, TCU (4-4) 14

Some key stats:

QB#5- 5/12 passing, 122 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

HB#18-16 carries, 159 yards, TD
QB#5- 15 carries, 84 yards, TD
FB#8-13 carries, 30 yards, 2 TD

HB#24-6 Punt returns, 163 yards, 2 TD

In the post-game interviews, I claimed that TCU were "Spineless Horned Frogs that will never make it to a bowl game". TCU's coach responded, "Well, we may or may not go to a bowl game, but at least we aren't going to unemployment line after the season is over".

Motherfucker.

Other Scores:

Michigan State (3-4) knocked off previously undefeated #8 Northwestern (6-1) 31-27 in East Lansing, MI.

#22 Texas Tech (5-2) used their high-powered passing game to take down #10 Texas (4-3) in Austin.

UNLV moves to 7-1 with a victory over Utah 31-28

In the Game Of the Week, #12 Tennesseee (4-2) beat #11 Alabama (5-2) in Tuscaloosa.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #19
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Week 10

In-Season Recruiting Update:

We have our very first new Air Force Falcon:

TE STEVE PACE out of Georgetown, TX

He ran a 5,01 40-yard dash, and has a field awareness of A! His hands are only a C-, but he's mainly a blocking tight end.

Bowl Rankings:

1.USC 7-0
2.Ohio State 7-0
3.Florida State 7-0
4.Georgia 7-0
5.Virginia Tech 7-0
6.Oklahoma 6-1
7.Iowa 7-1

Musings: Well, if someone had told me we'd be 2-6 after 8 games before the season started, I probably would have hightailed back to San Jose. Ahh...All things considered, everyone knew this would be a tough season. The receivers suck, the backfield is average, the offensive line is infamously bad, and the defense is largely inept. QB#5 and his 84 rating as a sophomore gives me hope for the future of our fair program. I cannot believe UNLV is unranked at 7-1. They have 4-3 teams like Purdue, Boston College, and Texas ranked in the Top 25. UNLV is going to surprise someone in a bowl game. Mark my words. I talked to my oldest daughter, Jessy, today. She said she got rejected by Johns Hopkins. I told her not be so down, as it's a very hard school to get into, and they just don't accept people with felonies on their record very much. She said that the gardener was whistling at her, and that's why she stabbed him. Oh, Jessy..just like your mother.

Game Highlights: Air Force (2-6)@BYU (4-3)

BYU is ranked second in the country in passing offensive. That's scary. My troops in the secondary are going to need to bring their best stuff. The good thing about BYU is that their defense blows=Ranked 114th out 119 in Total yards per game. QB#12,WR#1, and LOLB #47 are their impact players.

1st quarter: BYU receives and passes it down to our goal line. This team is hardcore. They're using the shotgun on first and goal from the 1. They score on 3rd and goal to make it 7-0 Cougars with 5:25 to go in the first

On 3rd 4, HB#18 runs off tackle...FOR 66 YARDS! QB#5 gets a minor leg injury and we are force to kick a field goal. 7-3, BYU, 3:32 left in the 1st

Shit. QB#5 is out for 2 quarters. This should be interesting. We sack BYU QB#12 on 3rd and 10. HB#18 then runs it for a 74 yard TD. We may not even need QB#5 (just kidding #5). 2:44 left in the first, Air Force 10, BYU 7

On the kick return, disaster strikes. I draw up the wrong coverage, and BYU takes it to the house14-10, BYU

We get the ball back, and the option with QB#14 goes nowhere. On 3rd and 11, he pitches it back to HB#18 who gets wrestled down for a 3 yard loss. Wait a sec, the refs call a 15-yard facemask penalty on the Cougars! Huge! That moves us up to midfield! A couple passes and runs later, and #18 takes it in for the score! :36 left in a wild 1st quarter, the score is Air Force 17, BYU 14

At the end of 1 17-14, USAFA

After a user pick by SS#11, FB#8 takes it up the gut and runs forr a 58 yard TD! 24-14 USAFA!

The teams trade turnovers and touchdowns...With 2:12 to go in the half, Air Force 31, BYU 21 Then, they return the kickoff for another TD. @#$@&#$@@#~~!!!! 2:01 left in the half, Air Force 31, BYU 28

NUMBER 24 RETURNS THE KICKOFF FROM THAT FOR A TOUCHDOWN!!!38-28

At Halftime, the score stays 38-28 What a wild half of action! HB#18 with 12 carries 235 yards and 2 TDs.

Third Quarter: We get the second half kickoff, and QB#5 back in action! This game could get ugly if we hold down our kickoff coverage!

The first drive stalls at the BYU 30, but our kicker tucks a 47-yarder just inside the left upright 5:34 to go in the third, Air Force 41, BYU 28

QB#5 throws a 2-yard TD pass to TE#91!! WE fail on the 2-point try, and with 2:28 to go in the third, your score is47-28, Air Force

BYU's QB#12 looks rattled after throwing an INT on the last drive. He overthrows three straight passes, and HB#24 returns the punt for a TD. 54-28 Air Force with 2:01 left in the third

QB#12 throws a bomb for a TD to WR#1...54-35, Air Force, and that ends the 3rd quarter

This is starting to get out of hand. Every play I call is working. BYU's defense is worse than ours. BYU's fans start to boo after I kick a field goal to make it57-35 . They're loud, they're mad, and they're sober!

I bring in the second string offense and defense, and the game finally ends FINAL SCORE: AIR FORCE 67, BYU 42

Some key stats: We had 626 yards of total offense...not bad. Only 93 passing yards. Both teams had 4 turnovers (QB#14, our backup, had 3 INT's).
HB#18 took a load off in the second half, finishing with 18 carries for 277 yards and 2 TD's.

What went right: The offense was unstoppable, thanks in large part to BYU's limp defense. They seemed scared of our hard nosed running attack. If we can rattle the opposition early, then we are running downhill all game long.

What went wrong:

4 turnovers is bad. BYU had 5, but we still had 4. We are still giving up long bombs for TD's too much. If we can curtail this, then we will be hard to beat. What usually happens is, on 3rd and long, I select a zone defense like cover 2. The FS sometimes forgets that the CB is staying within a 10 yard area, and if the WR takes off on a fly pattern, it's his responsibility. It comes with experience.

Other scores:

#5 Virginia Tech (8-0) edged Boston College (4-4) 37-35 in OT

Florida (4-4) knocked Georgia (7-1) out of the title hunt with a 35-25 triumph in Gainesville, Fla.

Washington State (4-4) challenged USC (8-0) but couldn't hang on, as the Trojans won 48-42

In the Game of the Week, Oklahoma (7-1) beat Nebraska (6-2) in Lincoln.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:11 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Forget Zone, Blitz their ass!!!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #21
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks mrsimperless, indoor, Mizzourah, Jb, and Emiliano for your continued support of Air Force football.

Week 11

Game Highlights: Army (2-5)@Air Force (3-6)

The Black Knights formerly known as Cadets came into Colorado Springs last night with an offense that emphasizes the passing game (who woulda thunk it!?!). With our newfound confidence, I knew this game would end up in our favor. Let's get to it.

First Quarter: Army gets the ball and scores on 3 long passes. We get it back and take our sweet time driving upfield. QB#5 eventually runs in an option 14 yards for six, and the extra point follows to tie the game. After adding a field goal, CB#6 makes the biggest play of his life by picking off a pass and taking it all the way back. Army answers with a 98 yard kickoff return for a touchdown and at the end of 1 the score is Air Force 17, Army 14

Second: Big plays on both sides of the ball made the second quarter very memorable. ROLB#32 intercepted a pass and took it back for a TD-the second defensive TD in the game for us. Our kicker somehow missed the extra point. Then QB#5 connected with WR#81 for a 75 yard touchdown pass, the longest of the season. At halftime we lead 30-21

Third: Defense was the name of the game in the third quarter, with the lone score being a 3 yard run by HB#18 with 4:19 left. 37-21, Air Force at the end of three

Fourth: We basically had it on cruise control in the 4th quarter, with HB#18 adding in another TD run and K#12 putting in a 40 yard FG. Army's QB#12 had already thrown 3 picks, so when he threw another one early in the 4th, QB#1 came in and gave Army a bit of a spark, even running in a 7 yard TD. It was nowhere near enough, as Air Force won 47-27, moving to 4-6 on the season.

What went right: The offense continued it's improvement, finding the endzone almost at will.

The defense scored two touchdowns.

What went wrong: Our special teams coverage sucks. It's really gonna drive me to drink. Every time I see an opponent returning a kick for a touchdown, it hurts me like that time I was 8 years old and walked in on my pop smoochin' with the postman...*shudder*

Other Scores:

In the Game of the Week (which was in fact the best game of the week), #12 Miami (7-2) went into Blacksburg and knocked off previously unbeaten #4 Virginia Tech (8-1) 27-26

#1 USC (9-0) annihilated Stanford (4-4) 56-10 to stay at the front of the title race.

#6 Iowa (8-1) stayed in the BCS picture with a win over slumping #25 Northwestern (6-3).
Old 07-22-2005, 06:36 PM   #22
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Week 12:

Commitment: 4-star T Richard Jackson, out of Oceanside, CA. this is a huge pickup. The 6'4", 326 pound beat immediately upgrades the weakest part of our team. He should be able to step in right away as a starter.

Miscellaneous: In lieu of a game this weekend, I decided to take the team out to dinner at Applebee's. Wade was there. I finally got to find out a few of my players' names. QB#5 is actually named Shaun Carney. HB#18 is Justin Handley. FB#8 is Jacoby Kendrick. PR extraordinaire #24 is Chad Smith. DT#88 is named Russ Mitscherling. SS# 11 is Bobby Giannini. Cool. LB#32, a.k.a.

Player Misconduct
John Rabold, began talking about his favorite James Bond. He said Roger Moore was the best. He's not playing next week.

Scores of Interest:

#7 Texas A&M (9-1) beat #4 Oklahoma (8-2) in Norman, shaking up the Big 12.

#1 USC (10-0) beat Cal (6-4) 45-18 in Berkeley. I think we all know who the best team in the country is this year....or do we..

#2 Ohio State improved it's record to 10-0 by beating Northwestern 34-10 in Colombus, OH. Northwestern has dropped 4 in a row after winning their first six.

#3 Florida State went to 10-0 after dispatching Clemson 33-10 in South Carolina
Old 07-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #23
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Week 13

Game Recap Air Force (4-6)@New Mexico (6-4):

Going into this game I was confident our team would be able to compete with the superior UNM Lobos. We had just won three in a row and were looking to finish at a respectable 5-6. I figured that as long as we kept them from the getting the big play, we could keep it close. I was right-partially.

New Mexico scored first, but our defense settle down and we eventually scraped two field goals together to bring us back to 7-6. With :35 left in the first half, HB#24 returned a punt 54 yards for a touchdown. We converted on the two-pointer to take a 14-7 lead into halftime. It couldn't have gone any better. Then, the Lobos talent and depth became too much. HB#22 ripped off a couple nice runs, and their QB torched us for 42 second half points. We scored two meaningless 4th quarter touchdowns, and our season ended with a 49-28 loss in Albuquerque.

So, we finish the season at 4-7. Not good, but not terrible for my staff's first year with this fair program. A 1-6 start had us looking in the want ads for new jobs, but things finally began clicking, and we were able to hold our heads up. Next year, we should be able to improve upon our record, with QB#5 Shaun Carney working hard in the offseason to hopefully improve his already good attributes.

Week 14

Well, our team is done for the year, so now we sit back and watch the rest of the regular season play out.

3-Star TE Daniel Clay has given us a soft-verbal. The only guy left in question is SS Joe Riley, who is visiting our campus this weekend.

NCAA Update:

Heading into this week, USC is only unbeaten team left, at 11-0. They lead the bowl rankings, trailed by Miami (8-2). Virginia Tech and Georgia, both at 9-1, are 3rd and 4th in the bowl rankings. There is bound to be some controversy no matter what happens.

USC QB Matt Leinart leads the heisman race, with QB#5 of Iowa second, and TAMU QB Reggie McNeal third.

Top 25 Scores:

#7 Texas A&M (9-2) appeared to lock up a major bowl bid with a 27-20 win over rival #11 Texas (7-4) in College Station, TX.

#4 Georgia (10-1) kept their name in the title game hat with a 31-14 win at Georgia Tech (5-6)

#3 Virginia Tech (10-1) took care of North Carolina (4-7) 33-16 in Blacksburg, VA.

HB#28 scored on a 3 yard run with 14 seconds left to give #6 Florida State (10-1) a huge win over rival #15 Florida (6-5) by a score of 34-31

UPSET ALERT! #24 Virginia (7-4) went into the Orange Bowl and came away with a 26-9 win over #2 Miami (8-3). This takes Miami out of the Title hunt, finally.

Week 15

In-Season Recruiting Update: Air Force has it's first "Enemy Of The Program": TE Daniel Clay. Young Daniel reneged on his soft verbal to us and signed with Virginia Tech! Sonofabitch!

SS Joe Riley has given us a soft verbal, which he will hopefully have the class to follow through with

Bowl Rankings:

1.USC 11-0
2.Virginia Tech 10-1
3.Georgia 10-1
4.Florida State 10-1
5.Oklahoma 9-2
6.Texas A&M 9-2
7. LSU 8-3
8. Ohio State 10-1
9.Iowa 9-2
10.Miami 8-3

Heisman Watch

Matt Leinart stays steady, while TAMU QB#1 moves into the #2 position!

Key Scores:

#10 Louisville (9-2) outgunned Uconn (8-3) to take the Big East and assure their spot in the Orange Bowl!

#23 UCLA (8-6) challenged unbeaten #1 USC (12-0), but didn't quite have enough. USC wins 40-34

Week 16: Championship Week

COMMITMENT! 3-star SS Joe Riley is officially an Air Force Falcon! His mother, Belinda Riley, called me and told me that Joe is a very smart, handsome boy. I asked if she was single. She said Mr. Riley has been in prison for 12 years for bootlegging movies, and that he isn't due out for another decade. I asked her out on a date. She said yes, so I asked her what she would like do on our date. She said she was a "movie fanatic". I asked if she had seen Bio Dome 3-D:An IMAX Experience. She said no. Then she asked if I owned a working video camera. That's when I hung up the phone . Another lonely night for Coach Benson.

Conference Championship Games:

The lineup looked like this:

MAC Championship:Buffalo (6-5) vs. #16 Toledo (10-1)

SEC Championship: #7 LSU (8-3) vs. #3 Georgia (10-1)

Big XII Championship: #14 Nebraska (8-3) vs. #6 Texas A&M (9-2)

ACC Championship (GOTW): #2 Virginia Tech (10-1) vs. #4 Florida State (10-1)

Conference USA Championship: UAB (8-3) vs. UTEP (8-3)

Results:

Toledo rolls over Buffalo, 45-22

Georgia has no problem with LSU 38-17

Nebraska beats Texas A&M 31-24.

Florida State shakes up the title game picture with a 27-14 win over Virginia Tech.

UAB 31-28 over UTEP for the C-USA title.

BOWL GAMES:

RT#57 from Air Force wins Offensive Lineman of the year! My lord. I guess this makes sense. His play really was offensive. Offensive to the coaching staff, the rest of the offense, the fans....

USC QB#11 (Matt Leinart) has been awarded the HEISMAN TROPHY

Mountain West Bowl Results:

Poinsettia Bowl: Wyoming (6-5) vs. #25 Auburn (6-5)- Auburn took a 13-3 halftime lead, and Wyoming couldn't respond in the second half. Auburn wins 23-10

Fort Worth Bowl: Middle Tennessee State (6-5) vs. UNLV (7-4)- Despite fading to a 4-4 in-conference finish, the UNLV Rebs sneak into a bowl game. Prediction: UNLV cleans up. UNLV promptly loses 24-14.

Las Vegas Bowl: Buffalo (6-6) vs. BYU (7-4): BYU scores 13 points in the 4th quarter, including a game-winning 37 yard field goal with :11 second left to win 34-31. The first MWC bowl win of the year!

Emerald Bowl: San Diego State (6-6) vs. Boise State (8-4): Right in my old backyard, San Francisco, Boise breezes out to a 24-0 halftime lead, and ends up winning 45-28.

Liberty Bowl: New Mexico (conference champ, 7-4) vs. UAB (9-3): A great battle between two underrated teams ended with UAB on top 38-35. QB#4 threw a TD pass to WR#29 with :42 to play for the win.

BCS Bowl Results:

Sugar Bowl: #7 Ohio State vs. #3 Georgia- A battle of 10-1 teams promised a good game. After going into halftime deadlocked at 10-10, Ohio State scored two third quarter (my most hated quarter) touchdowns to make it 24-10 heading into the fourth. Then Georgia, as they had done all season, brought themselves back. D.J. Shockley threw two TD passes, including a 55 yarder to #85 to tie the score. Eventually Georgia won in the second overtime on a FG. Final Score: Georgia 30, Ohio State 27

Fiesta bowl: #9 Nebraska (9-3) vs. #6 Virginia Tech (10-2)- Nebraska plays a great game, winning 24-14 over the favored Hokies.

Orange Bowl:#4 Oklahoma (9-2) vs. #8 Louisville (9-2)- Louisville hits a field goal with :13 to play to take out Oklahoma, 30-27. Great game! Louisville should be getting a prestige bump!

ROSE BOWL (title game): #2 Florida State (11-1) vs. #1 USC (11-0)

Some felt Georgia or Ohio State should have been in this game rather than FSU. No matter, Florida State received the honor of trying to do what no team had done to USC in two seasons: Have more points than them at the final gun. Heisman winner Matt Leinart had no problem in this one, as USC used 20 second quarter points to beat FSU 33-17, cap an undefeated season, and take home another NCAA TITLE! CONGRATS TO USC!

Final Top 10:

1.USC
2.Georgia
3.Iowa
4.Louisville
5.Florida State
6.Nebraska
7.Oklahoma
8.Miami
9.Ohio State
10.Fresno State
Old 07-26-2005, 07:38 PM   #24
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Off-Season, pre-2006:

School Budget: I give 36% to recruiting, 32% to training, and 32% to discipline. I don't put too much thought into dividing the budget. Give relatively equal money to everything, let the cream rise to the top.

Players Leaving: I have a feeling this is going to be the highlight of my year-When players leave the program. I will miss DT#88. My lead scout had him at 82 overall, which made him our best defender. We lose TE#91 (rated 80 ovr.), but with TE Steve Pace coming in, I worry not at all.

BYU's QB#12 is leaving for the NFL Draft after his JR. Season. Sayonara.

Georgia had a punter leave early for the draft. Uhhh...

UNLV has a JR. LT leave for the draft. 85 ovr.

Incoming transfer: HB#29 from U. of Minnesota wants to transfer to our school. He's rated at 85 by our scouts. Welcome aboard! He's a redshirt JR. who averaged 4.9 yds/carry as a backup last year for the Gophers.

Recruiting: 2006

During the season, we filled three holes by signing 4-star T Richard Jackson, and 3-star prospects TE Steve Pace and SS Joe Riley. We still have 10 areas of need:2 WR, TE, C, DE, OLB, MLB, FS, K, and P. ($66,000 dollars to spend each week, which I will refer to from now on as points and will be divided by 1,000)

The first player I look at is an ATH named Titus Elimimian. What a name. Even better, he has an A+ rating for hands. He can easily be turned into a WR. He is only rated 2-stars, but our WR's aren't the most important position. I call him, which costs 4 points.

I give a look to another 2-star WR named John Morrisout of Iola, KS. his hands are rated F, which troubles me, but he ran a 4.24 40. Another factor is that he has us second on his list, behind conference foe Wyoming.

a 3-star MLB Robbie Norman , our of nearby Welby, CO is interested in us, but not on his 5-school list. I decide to send the house, and I pitch Air Force's academic reputation. This costs 15 points (note to self: Do no eat Mr. Norman's chili before a long drive).

I send my assistant coach Keena Turner to visit 2-star DE prospect Greg Ross out of Westminster, CO. He pitches playing time. We are at the top of Ross' short list.

I call 2-star FS Everett Lee out of Brigham City, UT and tell him about our academics at Air Force. I also ask him about being a black man living in whitebread Utah. He starts crying.

I use my remaining points to go after scrubs.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:25 PM   #25
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Recruiting Week 2:

Commitments: None yet, but none of our targets commit anywhere else. Good news.

We have neither a kicker nor a punter on our roster, so I take a flyer on 2-star K Sean Westerman out of Cedarville, TX. Kickers aren't the most important position, but if you have some walk-on whose kickoffs land at the 1

FS Everett Lee liked our pitch of academics. We stand behind only Utah on his Top-5 list

I go after 3-star HB Tony Hodge out of Benson, AZ. We already have 5 running backs on the roster, but when you consider the type of offense we run, you can never really have enough RB-depth.

3-star MLB Robbie Norman has put us 4th on his Top-5 list! Colorado, Oklahoma, and Miss State are ahead of us

WR Dan Henderson out of unfortunately named Flower Mound, TX has us 4th on his list. He likes our location. I call him.

My assistant goes to visit ATH Titus Elimimian. He tells Titus about how awesome I am as a coach. This costs 8 points.

We look at 2-star QB Josh Simpson. He runs a 4.73 40, which concerns me. He has us at the top of his list, though, and loves Colorado Springs. I send our assistant to visit him. I also decide to scout him, which costs three points. He's slower than we intially thought. I decide not to go after him.

2-star C Mark Williams is also a big fan of Colorado Springs, and has us at the top of his list. I send Coach Turner to talk to him and tell him more about Colorado Springs.

I spend remaining points on guys that aren't really in our sights.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #26
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Recruiting Week 3:

Commitments: None

We lost out on 3-star TE Cole Hill, who committed to Oklahoma. Not a big deal, I contacted him as an afterthought.

3-star guys HB Tony Hodge and MLB Robbie Norman place us at the top of their lists. Nice.

I decide to spend 6 points to get a scouting report of ATH Titus Elimimian . I want to know what I'm getting besides a 4.24 40 yard dash time. The report comes back, and his 40 time drops to 4.35, but his hands stay at A+. This guy could end up being a weapon. His potential and discipline are regarded as average. He isn't as strong as we thought, but I'm going to try to get him. Those hands and that speed...Me likey.

Our search for a punter isn't going well. The guy we targeted doesn't even have us on his Top 5.

Recruiting Week 4

Commitments: (All 2-star players) ATH-TITUS ELIMIMIAN, FS-EVERETT LEE, DE-GREG ROSS, K-SEAN WESTERMAN, C-MARK WILLIAMS

Elimimian is a sleeper in my book, with good speed and great hands. Lee is fast for a safety, and a very good cover guy. Ross is a smart player, but will need to add some weight. Westerman is a solid all-around kicker. Mark Williams is a guy who will be a solid contributor in a couple of years.

HB Tony Hodge and MLB Robbie Norman still have us at the top of their lists.

I go after 3-star SS Wesley Rogers out of Jenks, OK, 2-star WR Burdit Bass out of Durant, OK. He's 6'6"! We also target2-star TE Randy Flynn out of Arcadia, CA. We also take a stab at 2-star P Tremaine Fisher , out of Kingwood, TX.

Recruiting Week 5

Commitments: 3-star MLB-Robbie Norman, 2-star WR-John Morris

YES! 3-star MLB! This will help legitimize our linebacking unit, which was a non-factor last season. John Morris is a speedster, clocking it with a 40 time of 4.24

I realize that we only have 2 DT's on the roster, so I go after a couple of guys who don't seem too excited by any other schools: Damien Jones out of Milpitas, CA and Jim Kennedy, out of Clute, TX . They are both 2-star guys that would add depth to our D-line.

Recruiting Results

Commitments: 3-star guys HB-Tony Hodge and SS Wesley Rogers and 2-star OLB Donald Williams

We end up with only 1 TE and 2 DT's, but we'll work with it.

Texas Tech ends up with five 5-star recruits, including QB Tom Bowie. 5-star WR Tim Goff signs with Texas A&M, which ends up with the best rated class in the nation. Our class rates63rd one spot ahead of Florida

So here's what our final class looks like

Air Force Recruits 2006 (14):

4-star:
T-Richard Jackson, Oceanside CA

3-star:
SS-Joe Riley, Alameda CA
HB-Tony Hodge, Benson AZ
MLB-Robbie Norman, Welby CO
SS-Wesley Rogers, Jenks OK
TE-Steve Pace, Georgetown TX

2-star:
P-Bryan Mitchell, Belton TX
ATH-Titus Elimimian, Friendswood TX
C-Mark Williams, Clinton OK
K-Sean Westerman, Cedar Hill TX
OLB-Donald Williams, Vallejo CA
DE-Greg Ross, Westminster CO
WR-John Morris, Iola KS
FS-Everett Lee, Brigham City UT
Old 07-26-2005, 09:57 PM   #27
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Position Changes:

ATH-Titus Elimimian is the only guy I consider for a position change. My scout tells me he would be best at CB, but I need him as a WR. He is still solid at WR. His hands aren't as great as I thought, but they're going to be better than my other WR's. He will be the 3rd best WR I have.

Cut Players: I do not make any cuts

Depth Chart:I have the following freshmen starting: TE-Steve Pace, RT-Richard Jackson, RE-Greg Ross, SS-Wesley Rogers, K-Sean Westerman, P-Bryan Mitchell, KR, PR-John Morris.

John Morris is the fastest guy on the team, and should form a deadly return combo with HB#24 Chad Smith.

QB#5 improved ever so slightly, but FB#8's improvement was decent and should really help our option game.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:25 PM   #28
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Redshirts:

I decide to redshirt the following guys (FR. unless noted otherwise): HB-Tony Hodge, FS-Everett Lee, SS- Joe Riley

Air Force 2006 Schedule

@Northwestern
Utah
Colorado State
Navy
@UNLV
@TCU
BYU
@San Diego State
@Army
New Mexico
@Wyoming

Yee-haw! I get to go to some of my favorite cities this year: Chicago, Las Vegas, and San Diego!

Coach Benson's Personal Life Update

Well, it finally happened: Rosalee filed for divorce. She told me she's going to be marrying Wade from Applebee's and moving into his Double-Wide with his 3 children. One night in June I decide the only way I could forget about it was by going to the batting cages. I pictured Wade's face on the balls. Later, I pictured my balls on Wade's face...but that's a whole different story. I'm just glad our two daughters died in a horrific rickshaw accident before this all happened. Just kidding. They're alive and well. Jessy, who I named after Jessy DeJesus, my favorite Chilean tango champion from the thirties, and Samina, who I gave a female version of my name.

On the hobbies front, the movie 'Murderball' has inspired me to play in the paraplegic rugby league in the offseason. I have decided to forgo using a wheelchair, instead using my own two feet. Some call it courageous, some call it valiant. I just call it a man who loves wheelchair rugby.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #29
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Question for jbmagic, or anyone who knows:

Can I randomly generate names in the middle of my dynasty? And if anyone has any comments on what they would like me to add on (or take out) then let me know. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:01 AM   #30
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I am driving to Alabama tomorrow, and I won't be back until next Wednesday evening. Tune in next Wednesday for complete pre-season info on College Football's 2006 season, pre-season polls, pre-season Mountain West poll, and Air Force Falcons entire 2006 roster. See you then!
Old 07-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
I am driving to Alabama tomorrow, and I won't be back until next Wednesday evening. Tune in next Wednesday for complete pre-season info on College Football's 2006 season, pre-season polls, pre-season Mountain West poll, and Air Force Falcons entire 2006 roster. See you then!

Can't wait!!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:36 PM   #32
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

NOTE: I went ahead and auto-named all the unnamed players, so I'll be addressing my guys by the game-generated names.

Air Force Falcons 2006 Roster

QB #5 Luke Johnson, Jr. 86 ovr. (impact player) (offensive captain)
QB #14 Kevin Williams, Sr. 68
QB #15 Gabriel Atkins, So. (RS) 62

HB #42 Ricky Spinner, Jr. (RS) 87
HB #18 Jonathan Meeks, Sr. 85 (impact player)
HB #24 Kenan Cabral, Jr. 78
HB #36 Tony Hodge, Fr. 72
HB #16 Andy Horgan, Sr. (RS) 70
HB #23 James Diggs, Sr. 65
HB #17 Paul Campanella, So. (RS) 62

FB #8 Lance Smith, Sr. 72
FB #46 Scott Walker, So. (RS) 70
FB #45 Doug Mcdonald, Jr. 68

WR #81 Austin Barber, Sr. 76
WR #82 Marques Cook, Sr. 72
WR #84 Titus Elimimian, Fr. 68
WR #88 John Morris, Fr. 68
WR #89 Corey Hill, Fr. 56

TE #80 Steve Pace, Fr. 68
TE #49 Ben Marcus, Jr 59

T #77 Richard Jackson, Fr 76
T #72 Ed Beard, Sr. 70
T #75 James Rix, Sr. 68
T #70 Brian Thomas, So. (RS) 62

G #58 Larry Davis, Sr. 68
G #61 Darrick Tate, Jr (RS) 65
G #59 Patrick Jenkins, Jr (RS) 59
G #69 Eli Morgan, So (RS) 56

C #60 Michael Robinson, Sr 76
C #64 Mark Williams, Fr 65

DE #55 Bryson Hudson, Sr 76
DE #94 Greg Ross, Fr 70
DE #86 Marcus Heinz, Sr 68

DT #96 Adam Davis, Sr 68
DT #76 David Moore, So (RS) 65

OLB #26 Demarcus Flanagan, Sr 78 (impact player) (defensive captain)
OLB #32 Julian Reed, Jr 70
OLB #30 Brad Franklin, Jr 68
OLB #43 Donald Williams, Fr 62

MLB #44 Nick Jackson, Sr 76
MLB #41 Robbie Norman, Fr 68
MLB #7 Roger Brown, Jr 65

CB #2 Greg Gardner, Jr 76
CB #3 Guy McQueen, Jr 72
CB #6 Justin Coe, Sr 68
CB #19 Chris Wiggins, Jr 65
CB #29 Lewis Faga, Sr 56

FS #11 Courtney Porter, Jr 78
FS #25 Everett Lee, Fr 68
FS #4 Mike Dean, Jr 68

SS #28 Wesley Rogers, Fr 72
SS #47 Sam Toth, Jr (RS) 70
SS #12 Joe Riley, Fr 70
SS #10 Willie Booth, Sr 65

K #48 Sean Westerman, Fr 68

P #21 Bryan Mitchell, Fr 59

Pre-Season AP Top 10

1. Miami (43)
2. Iowa (21)
3. USC (1)
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio State
6. Florida State
7. Virginia Tech
8. Georgia
9. Tennesee
10. Texas A&M

Pre-Season Mountain West Poll

1. New Mexico
2. TCU
3. BYU
4. Utah
5. UNLV
6. San Diego State
7. Wyoming
8. Colorado State
9. Air Force

Last edited by Karlifornia : 08-05-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #33
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

In-Season Recruiting

We have the resources to target 12 players during the season, with the hopes of signing a handful of them, making post-season recruiting less taxing. Here are the 12 guys we are going after this season:

5-Star

C Tony Holiday-Southglenn, CO

4-Star

QB Antwan Osborne-Rifle, CO
CB David Inman-Boulder, CO
WR Brandon Hansen-Brighton, CO
OLB Justin Jones-Andrews, TX
DT Melvin McCauley-Delaware, OH
DE Andrew Cribbs-Blacklick Estates, OH
DE Kris Booker-Kent, OH
FB Isaac Harris-Aurora, CO

3-Star

CB Jorge Anderson-Orchard Mesa, CO
DT Doug Richardson-New Braunfels, TX
MLB Eric Webb-Craig, CO

We are lucky to have so many good players in our state. I am really gunning for QB Antwan Osborne, as he has the athletic ability to execute our offense-He runs a 4.52 40. C Tony Holiday is basically a pipe-dream, but I decided to throw a bone at him since he's from Colorado.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #34
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

2006 Season Week 1

We're off, but so is pretty much everyone else. Toledo stuns #22 Virginia on the road 24-20, and South Carolina takes care of Army 24-10

2006 Season Week 2

In-Season Recruiting Update

We have started out second on 5-star C Tony Holiday's 8 school list, trailing Oklahoma. Yes! QB Antwan Osborne has us fifth. Darn. We're going to need some luck to land him. 4-star FB Isaac Harris has us at the top of his list, but Nebraska, Texas, and Minnesota aren't far behind.

Scores of Note:

#8 Virginia Tech held on to beat Kent State 34-33 in Blacksburg.

#24 Fresno State edged MWC doormat Colorado State 28-27 in Fort Collins by scoring a go ahead safety with :42 left to play.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #35
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

NOTE: My game got shut off and I hadn't saved it, so I have to regenerate names for all the players, and the recruiting is going to end up slightly different (but I'm still recruiting the same 12 guys as before)
Old 08-05-2005, 03:11 PM   #36
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Week 3-2006 Season

Game Highlights: @Northwestern

We open up with a field goal, and our defense plays perfectly throughout the quarter. Our only mistake is QB Luke Jackson throwing a pick that gets returned 33 yards for a touchdown. At the end of one it's 7-3, Northwestern.

We finish a drive that started at the end of the first quarter, and Jonathan Meeks runs it in on 4th a goal from the 1 to give us a 10-7 lead.

Our defense gives up a field goal, but then holds amazingly firm for the rest of the half. Jon Meeks makes some nice runs and Sean Westerman's leg helps stake us out to a 23-10 halftime lead. At halftime, we have 262 yards of total offense to Northwestern's 85. Of course, 215 of our yards are on the ground, but did you expect anything else from us?

The third quarter is turnover-filled, with Northwestern scratching their way back into the game. Sean Westerman hits a 48 yard Fg and the quarter ends at 26-20 Air Force.

Northwestern comes out and scores on a long TD pass early in the 4th quarter and takes a 27-26 lead. On our next drive, we get big runs from Meeks and Cabral, and Westerman puts in another field goal, and we lead 29-27 with 4:24 to play.

#$%U(@*#%)$%@%*$@%@% They run back the kickoff for a touchdown. They make the two-pointer. 35-29 Northwestern. Next possession: Amazing Northwestern INT. The game appears over. Northwestern's bruising halfback Alex Johnson fumbles, but Northwestern's lineman falls on it. Damn. The next play, Johnson swings it to the outside, evading my tacklers, but then he gets hit and fumbles. We recover! Luke Johnson and Jon Meeks combine on the option to get us into the end zone with 1:05 to play. 36-35 Air Force!!!!! Now, the always scary kickoff. We make a tackle at the 22. Phew.

1st play for Northwestern:Swift QB Adam Young runs a draw up to the 37. Timeout.
2nd play: Sacked back at the 31. Timeout #2.
3rd play: 2 yard completion to their rotund tight end. Out of bounds. 3rd and 14, with :46 to play

4th play: Pass caught by the WR, but he's ruled out of bounds! 4th and 14

5th play: Here's the ballgame right here! Young can't find anyone open! He scrambles! He comes up short! AIR FORCE WINS! AIR FORCE WINS!!!!!!!YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Final Score: Air Force 36, Northwestern 35

What went right: Well, we won a road game against a better team. We ran for 416 yards. We held them to 246 yards.They were 0-7 on third down conversions!! We also got 7 sacks.

What went wrong:The passing game was ATROCIOUS.3/19 passing, 47 yards, and 5 INT's. Terrible. We should have lost with a day like that.

Well, we're 1-0 and feeling pretty doggone good.

Scores of Note

Mississippi State beat #18 Minnesota 17-16 in Minneapolis.

#8 Texas A&M beat Ole Miss 52-25

#13 LSU was upset by Arizona 45-31 in Baton Rouge, LA.

#14 Oklahoma edged #17 Washington 17-14 in Norman. Both of their records are even at 1-1.

#4 Ohio State demolished #11 Texas in Austin, 31-3.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:02 PM   #37
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

2004 Season: Week 4

QB Antwan Osborne caught our game against Northwestern and was impressed by our gutty performance. That, combined with our outpouring of attention, was enough to bump us to the top of his list! We could really use him, with Luke Johnson being a Jr., and none of our other QB's talented enough to run the option. 5-Star Center Tony Holiday still has us second behind Oklahoma. He made an unofficial visit to Norman, but he says it hasn't helped him make up his mind. 3-star MLB Eric Webb has us at the top of list, just ahead of Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. Hopefully the hometown advantage gives us, well, an advantage.

Early Season Heisman Race Update:

1.QB Derrick Minocchi, Jr.-Louisville
2.HB Harold Day, Sr. (RS)-Iowa
3.QB Victor Washington, Sr.-Iowa
4.HB Brian Butler, So. (RS)-Virginia Tech
5.QB Joe Dickerson, Sr. (RS)-Texas A&M

Game Highlights: Air Force Falcons (1-0) @ Utah Utes (2-0)

Utah has averaged 40 points through their first two games. The offense seems decently balanced. HB Dustin Bennett (85 ovr.) and SS Nick Broussard (95 ovr.!!!) are their impact players. I'm going to avoid calling passing plays towards the direction of Broussard. LT Jason Garcia is a hoss for them, and could open some holes for Bennett against our weak D-Line. I may need to put 8 in the box in running situations.

I put us in our all-blue uniforms. It's 82 degrees and clear in Colorado Springs today. Utah wins the toss and elects to receive. Utah returns the opening kickoff for a TD, but a clipping call saves our collective hide. Utah doesn't care, ason 3rd and 8, QB Steven Davis hits speedy Richie Muhammad for an 82-yard TD strike. Darn. 7-0 Utah.

Utah puts the handcuffs on our offense, and executes a beautiful drive to double their lead. 14-0, Utah. Steven Davis is playing above his head today.

Sean Westerman hits a FG late in the first quarter to make it 14-3.

Luke Johnson cuts inside on an option right, and jumps in the air in an attempt to nab an extra yard or two. He gets crushed by Nick Broussard and does a helicopter, as the ball flies out. Utah gets it. Damn.

It gets ugly. Realy ugly. 48-6 in the 4th quarter, and I decide to let them call the plays themselves after another fumble. Ah, well. Can't win 'em all.

What went right: I suppose the running game was okay.

What went wrong: The passing game was terrible again, the Utah offense totally outclassed us. Everything they did worked. Deep balls, short passes, draws, counters. It all worked.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #38
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

The final score of the Utah game was 65-20. We will not speak of it again.

2006 Season: Week 5

Well, 1-1 isn't so bad of a start. We get to do battle against the team that was picked just above in the MWC pre-season poll: Colorado State. This will be a home game, and my plan is to run, run, run, in case you expecting otherwise.

Game Highlights: Colorado State Rams (2-1) @ Air Force Falcons (1-1)

CSU gets the ball first and, as in so many Air Force games preceeding this one, the opponent breaks off a big touchdown right away; This time Carlton McNeal runs 73 yards for a score. 7-0 Rams.

Then, all hell breaks loose. After a Sean Westerman FG, we get the ball back. Jon Meeks plows in for an 8-yard TD run. Carlton McNeal answers back with another huge TD run-this time from 75 yards out. Air Force QB Luke Johnson does the unthinkable--he throws a TD pass to HB Kenan Cabral. Just before the quarter ends, Meeks punches in a TD from 1 yard out, and the 1st quarter finally ends, with Air Force up 24-14

After anothe Westerman FG, McNeal gets his 3rd TD of the half, a 22-yard run. CSU adds a FG before the halftime gun, and we take a 27-24 lead into the locker room.

After a CSU FG ties the game early in the 3rd, the regularly scheduled football game turns into the Jonathon Meeks show. He scores three more touchdowns, giving him FIVE for the game. Final Score: Air Force 48, Colorado State 34

What went right: Well, Meeks was anything but meek. He cemented himself as the cornerstone of our offense, with 5 TD's. The defense settled down in the second half, and Luke Johnson was only halfway hopeless, going 5-12 for 59 yards with a TD and an INT.

What went wrong: Well, we gave up over 250 rushing yards to one guy. I need to devise better ways of keeping running backs from exploding 70+ yards. Maybe the safeties need to be less aggressive.

All in all, we're 2-1 and-dare I say- 4 wins away from postseason play

2006 Season: Week 6

Another home game is on tap this week, this team against Navy, who has lost their last two games after a 2-0 start. They have a gameplan similar to ours, in that they run the ball alot. This excites me, as we cannot stop the pass. I will put 8 in the box against this team, hoping to cause a lot of 3-and-outs, setting up their defense for exhaustion. I want to see if I can some big pass plays mixed in with our runs. Most of our passes have been less than 20 yards, so maybe a little more play action or option passing will surprise them.

Game Highlights: Navy Midshipmen (2-2) @ Air Force Falcons (2-1)

The running game comes out with all pistons pounding. Meeks has 52 yards on his first 4 carries, Luke Johnson busts a 20 yard run. Then I call a pass on 1st and goal. INT. Damn.

Navy runs it up the gut twice and throws an incomplete pass on 3rd and 6. We get it back. Meeks makes some nice runs but we settle for a Sean Westerman FG. 10/10 on the year now.

In the second Q, Westie hits his 11th straight field goal, and we lead 6-0. The defense is impenetrable. We hold Navy without a first down in the entire first half. Luke Johnson eventually finds his passing stroke on the last drive of the half. He runs in a TD with :15 to play in the half. At halftime we lead 13-0.

Who says you need a first down to win a ball game? Navy runs back the opening kickoff of the second half for a TD to make it 13-7.

We answer back with a 53 yard strike from Luke Johnson to Kenan Cabral. We miss on a two-point try. 19-7 Air Force with 6:16 left in the third.

A Jon Meeks TD run and John Morris TD punt return balloon the lead to 33-7. Navy scores a meaningless TD late in the game and we cruise.

Final Score: Air Force 33, Navy 17 We're now at 3-1 on the season.

What went right: Luke Johnson threw for 166 yards, which is by far the most for him in one game this season. Kenan Cabral had 138 receiving yards out of the backfield. Our defense held Navy without a first down for an entire half. Hard to lose when you play defense like that.

What went wrong: Johnson threw two picks. Can't turn it over every game like this.

Scores of Note: A wild week in college football..down 38-17 at halftime, #1 Miami (4-0) stormed back to knock off the Boston College Eagles (2-3) 39-38.......#6 Texas A&M (4-0) used 20 fourth quarter points to beat #15 Texas Tech (2-1) 41-40.....In the Game Of The Week, #3 Ohio State (4-0) went into Iowa City and destroyed #2 Iowa (4-1) by the score of 44-3.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:40 PM   #39
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

NOTE: I played two games earlier, but couldn't get to my computer. I will just give truncated versions of what happened.

2006 Season-Week 7

Game Highlights: Air Force Falcons (3-1) @ UNLV Runnin' Rebels (0-4)

I was hoping for a gimme in this one. We had won 3 of our first four games, and UNLV was winless. I figured a three touchdown halftime lead, and the second-team offense for the entire fourth quarter.

Things were uncomfortably close throughout this one, with UNLV even tying the game 21-21 late in the third quarter. Kenan Cabral scored two 4th quarter touchdowns (1 passing, one receiving), and our defense held on to give us the 35-28 win over UNLV. We stood at 4-1, just two wins away from bowl eligibility!

Scores of Note from Week 7:

Iowa State (3-2) took out previously unbeaten Nebraska (4-1) 35-23 in Ames, IA. QB Alex Wright went 23-34 for 423 yards and 3 TD's in the upset.

#12 USC (2-2) lost their second game of the season, this one to Arizona (4-1), 32-28.

2006 Season: Week 8

Motherfucker. Just as we begin to get going, we are faced with a trip deep in the heart of Texas to face TCU, and their awesome 5th year halfback C.J. Godfrey. People have dubbed him a poor man's Ladainian Tomlinson. My scouts have him rated at 94/100. Yikes.

Game Highlights: Air Force Falcons (4-1) @ Texas Christian University Horned Frogs (3-2)

First half: C.J. Godfrey is contained fairly well, but Luke Johnson, Jon Meeks, and the rest of the Air Force offense can't seem to get it going. After giving up a C.J. godfrey touchdown run late in the first quarter, Sean Westerman hits the upright on a 21 yard field goal; It's his first miss of the season. TCU adds two field goals and takes a 13-0 lead into halftime.

Second half: C.J. Godfrey's wheels begin to turn. Three runs on their first possession of the second half equal 6 points. 20-0. We get the ball back, knowing that we need some points to make this a ball game. Luke Johnson responds with a masterful drive which culminates in a 3-yard TD run by Johnson. 20-7 TCU. TCU gets the ball back and pushes it deep into Falcon territory. A 3rd and 10 from the 17 ends with a sack and fumble, which we recover! A score on this drive would make the 4th quarter mighty interesting....

....but we go three and out, and TCU pulls away, eventually winning 36-19. Luke Johnson threw for over 200 yards in this game, with no INT's. That's called progress, ladies and gentlemen.

Scores of Note: Week 8

#2 Miami (6-0) overcame a 28-7 second quarter deficit to take out Maryland (4-2) 42-35 in College Park.

#16 Michigan (5-1) beat #19 Penn State (4-3) in Happy Valley 41-13 to gain an edge in the Big-10 title race.

#21 Iowa State (4-2) beat a big time program for the second time in two weeks as they beat #14 Oklahoma (3-3) in Norman 34-31 (OT).

#1 Ohio State (5-0) beat Michigan State (2-4)
41-17
Old 08-07-2005, 06:25 PM   #40
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I decided that Week 9 would be a good time to get caught up on the goings on of each season from now on. Why? 50% I don't know, and 50% because the first Bowl Rankings come out, and there have been enough games played to get real information from stats.

2006 Season: The Week Nine EXTRAVAGANZA

Bowl Rankings

1.Ohio State 5-0
2.Miami 6-0
3.Tennessee 6-0
4.Florida State 5-1
5.Texas 5-1
6.Texas A&M 6-0
7.Iowa 5-1
8.Washington 5-1
9.Alabama 4-1
10.Florida 4-2
11.Virginia Tech 4-1
12.Michigan 5-1
13.Texas Tech 4-1
14.Purdue 5-1
15.NC State 6-1

I feel that Ohio State is deserving of the top spot. They've crushed every team they've faced, while Miami has had a couple of close games against average team. Texas A&M got the shaft, but it will work itself out.

Sleeper: NC State- They only have one more road game: @ 3-4 Virginia. The only real test left is a home tilt against #5 Florida State. Win that one and the BCS is all but guaranteed.

Crasher:Michigan- They still have to face Iowa, Ohio State, and 6-0 #17 Connecticut. They would be lucky to finish with 8 wins.

Heisman Top 5:

1.QB Julian McRae-Miami 119/164, 1962 yds, 22 total TD
2.HB Kevin Kucera-Miami 146 car, 794 yds, 13 TD
3.QB Joe Dickerson-Texas A&M 106-132, 1700 yds, 21 TD
4.HB D.J. McDaniel-Ohio State 150 car, 726 yds, 8 TD
5.HB Derrick McNeal-Michigan 152 car, 876 yds, 9 total TD

D.J. McDaniel doen't deserve to be in the Top 5, IMHO. He's only a sophomore, and will have two more years to get the Heisman (if he doesn't defect to the NFL first).

Mountain West Standings:

1.Utah 6-1 (4-0)
2.Wyoming 4-3 (3-1)
3.TCU 4-2 (3-1)
4.Air Force 4-2 (2-2)
5.New Mexico 3-3 (2-2)
6.BYU 3-3 (2-2)
7.San Diego State 3-4 (2-2)
8.Colorado State 2-5 (0-4)
9.UNLV 0-6 (0-4)

Air Force Outlook: Well, we've played two of the teams above us, and two below us. The rest our schedule looks like this:

vs. BYU
@San Diego State
@Army (0-7)
vs. New Mexico
@Wyoming

I think we will likely go 3-2 in this stretch, with wins vs. BYU, SDSU, and Army. If we can split one of the final two games, I will be ecstatic.

In-Season Recruiting Update: I know it's been a while, but here's who is left on our list of possible commitments:

5-star C Tony Holiday, out of Southglenn, CO. His three-team list goes 1.Oklahoma 2.Air Force 3.Texas He will be visiting us for the BYU game, where we will be pushing our academic standards. The possible pitfall is that he wants to play for a well-known coach, and that I am not.

4-star scrambling QB Antwan Obsorne. His three team list is 1.Air Force 2.Nebraska 3.Oklahoma. He is visiting us this week for the BYU game as well. We will discuss at length our playing style, which I believe will put him in grea position to make plays.

4-star DE-Andrew Cribbs. His 5 team list goes 1.Notre Dame 2.Air Force 3.Ohio State 4.Louisville 5.Virginia Tech. Andrew is very quick for a defensive lineman, very smart, but doesn't have much room for improvement.

3-star MLB Eric Webb's list goes 1.Air Force 2.Iowa 3.Texas A&M 4.Nebraska 5.Oklahoma. He would be a good 2 or 3-year starter for us.

Statistics:

Passing

Luke Johnson-33/97, 646 yards, 6 TD's, 12 INT's
Kevin Williams-3/5, 41 yard, O TD's, 0 INT's

Rushing

Jonathon Meeks-132 att, 1052 yds, 9 TD's
Luke Johnson-105 att, 548 yds, 3 TD's
Kenan Cabral-41 att, 283 yds, 3 TD's
Lance Smith-38 att, 183 yds, 1 TD

Receiving

Austin Barber-8 rec, 213 yds, 1 TD
Kenan Cabral-8 rec, 175 yds, 2 TD's