Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #801
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

Wife and I will be at the Levee tonight as well. Naked Chopstix then a movie.

Wife and I will be at Gameworks at the Levee.

Ok. We won't. Just felt left out.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #802
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wife and I will be at Gameworks at the Levee.

Ok. We won't. Just felt left out.

It's Valentine's Day, over priced dinner followed by some trainwreck of a movie. Don't feel left out. I'd rather be home caressing my PS4 (kidding).
Old 02-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #803
Butter
Coordinator

I'll be at Tom+Chee then at Star Lanes, followed by some drinking at Hofbrauhaus.

OK, also a lie. I thought we were just doing local references.

But I literally work less than a block from Newport on the Levee, no joke.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #804
Easy Mac

I don't even know why kids still go to school. It seems like if they're not off for snow, then they're off for some made up holiday, or its a teacher work day.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #805
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I swear, I'm not truly making light of anyone's misfortune (and I hope everybody walked away from that relatively okay), but ... I thought it was only us Southerners that sort of thing happened to?

My guess is that's ice related ... and nobody really drives on that stuff truly safely, I don't care who you are.

Someone on here had been making fun of southern drivers a few weeks ago during the first Atlanta ice storm, and I had linked a story where something like that picture happened here in Massachusetts about two months ago. The temperature dropped just enough where it turned to frozen precipitation and they did a poor job of treating the roads, and suddenly the interstate became an ice skating rink.

Like You said, I don't care where you live, it is really hard to drive on a sheet of ice. The secret is to pre-treat the roads so it does not get to that state. Something that northern states should have the resources to do so and should be more ashamed when they don't look ahead correctly. A bit tougher in southern states that do not have the same amount of "frozen weather clearing/treating equipment"

Last edited by Alan T : 02-14-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #806
Suicane75
Coordinator

Problem is, at this point, a lot of the road crews around here are running extremely low on salt.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #807
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So, we had temps in the 20s on Friday here in Austin. Then on Saturday and Sunday, the highs were near 70. Back to highs in the 30s yesterday and today. Projected temps in the mid-70s starting on Friday. My sinuses are not happy with the situation.

Forget mid-70s today. Try mid-80s, it is 83 degrees here right now. At least the weather is supposed to be stable over the next week and a half. And I like it stabilizing at this level as opposed to the much colder level.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 02-14-2014 at 03:06 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #808
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Someone on here had been making fun of southern drivers a few weeks ago during the first Atlanta ice storm, and I had linked a story where something like that picture happened here in Massachusetts about two months ago. The temperature dropped just enough where it turned to frozen precipitation and they did a poor job of treating the roads, and suddenly the interstate became an ice skating rink.

Like You said, I don't care where you live, it is really hard to drive on a sheet of ice. The secret is to pre-treat the roads so it does not get to that state. Something that northern states should have the resources to do so and should be more ashamed when they don't look ahead correctly. A bit tougher in southern states that do not have the same amount of "frozen weather clearing/treating equipment"
The only thing that's really stood out to me is the huge number of reports of people abandoning cars. Maybe (probably) the number of those are being exaggerated, but that's just not something you see up around here.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #809
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
My guess is that's ice related ... and nobody really drives on that stuff truly safely, I don't care who you are.

I live not too far from where this happened. There was a very bright sun/cloudless morning as well which made the icy and/or wet roadways absolutely blinding around here this morning (and they would have been looking just about directly into the sun). I'm sure the first guy hit a patch of ice, or puddle of water as the drainage wasn't too great because of the snow, and due to the glare no one else was able to react in time.

Plus, there seems to be an unlimited amount of nitwits around here that can't seem to understand that a four wheel drive does not make them invincible when they hit an icy spot.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #810
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

But it didn't lead to kids having to sleep in their schools because they couldn't get it cleared for 2 days and people abandoning their vehicles.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #811
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, THAT was fucked up ...

Felt the house shake pretty good, figured a tree had come down on us. Made a full loop around the yard, didn't find a thing. Talked with wife about how weird that was, speculated a bit about what it could have been.

Got on Facebook to tell the story & shortly thereafter figured out that what shook my house was a 4.4 earthquake centered just WNW of Edgefield, SC ...84 miles away.

That was fucked UP.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #812
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Earthquakes are creepy. Ones in Georgia ? Maybe the world is ending.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #813
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Earthquakes are creepy. Ones in Georgia ? Maybe the world is ending.

We actually have several every year I believe, I've just never felt one before (and most of ours aren't quite that big either IIRC).
Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #814
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I believe locusts are next. Might want to put some lamb's blood on your door, just in case.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #815
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 02-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #816
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I believe locusts are next. Might want to put some lamb's blood on your door, just in case.

SI

Soon the zombies will rise!!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #817
DanGarion
Coordinator

4.4. Weak!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:26 AM   #818
Easy Mac

Quote:
Okay, THAT was fucked up ...

Felt the house shake pretty good, figured a tree had come down on us. Made a full loop around the yard, didn't find a thing. Talked with wife about how weird that was, speculated a bit about what it could have been.

Got on Facebook to tell the story & shortly thereafter figured out that what shook my house was a 4.4 earthquake centered just WNW of Edgefield, SC ...84 miles away.

That was fucked UP.

I thought it was just military helicopter. They always get close and shake the. house I thought it sounded quieter than normal.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #819
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Going on our third day without power, no running water, and then an earthquake? This is getting silly.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #820
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #821
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I thought it was just military helicopter. They always get close and shake the. house I thought it sounded quieter than normal.

You're the 3rd person (my wife, and the mom of one of Will's classmates 50 miles away from here) I've heard use the same description.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #822
Easy Mac

Quote:
You're the 3rd person (my wife, and the mom of one of Will's classmates 50 miles away from here) I've heard use the same description.

I talked with my mom a few minutes ago and she told me she thought it was the Fort Jackson helicopters at first. She also said her dog slept through it, just like mine. So animals aren't the first to know.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #823
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

so, they've upgraded the storm from 3-6 to 5-8 (AccuWeather) to 8-12 (NWS-Winter Storm Warning). This shit's getting ridiculous.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #824
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, they keep upping our snow totals for tonight here in Maine as well.

Wife & older son just went out snowshoeing, and the snow is starting to fall.

When I moved from Chicago to Maine last year I certainly hoped I might have nicer, more snowy, less soul-sucking-windy winters to enjoy.

But, uh, this is now somewhat ridiculous. Most small suburban streets around here have effectively turned into 1-lane roads due to the snow.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #825
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yeah, they keep upping our snow totals for tonight here in Maine as well.

Wife & older son just went out snowshoeing, and the snow is starting to fall.

When I moved from Chicago to Maine last year I certainly hoped I might have nicer, more snowy, less soul-sucking-windy winters to enjoy.

But, uh, this is now somewhat ridiculous. Most small suburban streets around here have effectively turned into 1-lane roads due to the snow.
Small suburban streets? Most of our "big city" streets are pretty close to 1-way at this point haha.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #826
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah

I think our local government has given up at this point. Stopped snowing sometime in the middle of the night last night, probably about 5 inches total, and when I left for my sons basketball game at 8 AM not one road, including main ones, had been touched.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #827
BishopMVP
Coordinator

As of Feb. 5th, the state hadn't paid plow drivers at all this fiscal year (i.e. including fall snowstorms), and owed $27 million. They had $14 million in checks being mailed out, but the other half won't get paid until an emergency spending bill got passed, which could take months... and since then there have been at least 2 big snowstorms and now tonight's. The municipalities pay for their own plowing, and they're usually a little more timely with their payments, but there's a lot of grumbling from plow companies and many smaller ones who are claiming they'll have to completely shut down if they don't get paid soon. It won't really actually matter, but the lack of foresight is kind of hilarious at a certain point.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-15-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #828
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
yeah

I think our local government has given up at this point. Stopped snowing sometime in the middle of the night last night, probably about 5 inches total, and when I left for my sons basketball game at 8 AM not one road, including main ones, had been touched.

We were out on the roads at about 6p, 730p and again at 130a. They were all about the same. I was surprised how little had been done by 130a. Most of the snow had stopped by then but the interstates really didn't have lanes plowed at all and were only marginally treated.

Way different then early in the winter when a little dusting got the full treatment effect.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:27 AM   #829
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Small suburban streets? Most of our "big city" streets are pretty close to 1-way at this point haha.

Heh. That, and I'm not sure if I can see my mailbox anymore.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #830
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Five more inches for us coming tomorrow. That will put us over 2 1/2 feet of snow in our yard now. Too bad it hasn't been warm enough to build stuff outside. I would have made a massive snow fort for the little guy.

It will be warm enough during the week.. but, I gotta you know, work.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #831
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The secret to seeing the mailbox is to make sure to dump the snow around it!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #832
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm in Cleveland. It's snowing. Imagine that.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #833
Blackadar
Retired

More wacky weather incoming:

A Texas Hooker is coming in, which generally dumps an amazing amount of snow on areas like Minny and Chicago while creating thunderstorms and tornadoes further south.

Then it appears we're getting yet another polar vortex next week.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...03285106_o.jpg

Last edited by Blackadar : 02-19-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 PM   #834
PilotMan
Head Coach

Feast your eyes on this bad boy for next week. This is the Euro model for snow accumulation through Wednesday next week. Courtesy WxRisk.

Like Steam?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #835
molson
General Manager

It might even be worse than that in New England

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #836
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

You're fucking kidding me molson!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 PM   #837
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Cool, I have to drive down to New York for work on Monday. This should be fun.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #838
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

As if we don't already have enough crater sized potholes in the road.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #839
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
As if we don't already have enough crater sized potholes in the road.

They got me for $170 the other day. Had to change the flat in a snowstorm with the shittiest jack in the world. Damage was so severe that I couldn't even plug it.

Then they filled in that hole the next day.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #840
lungs
Pro Rookie

I promised myself I wouldn't bitch until March but it's close enough. I contract out the raising of cattle from 4-22 months old and on Sunday one of the guys I contract with called and said his water line was frozen underground, rendering one of the pens he has 30 of my cattle in useless. So in order for my heifers to have some water, I had to bring them home. I don't have room for them at home (yet). I had to dump them in a pen where I don't have ample room for them to even have a comfortable spot to lay down. Next phone call was to another farmer to get me some bales of corn fodder that I can spread outside so the poor bastards don't have to stand around waiting for a place to lay down. Still waiting on that. Going to cost me big time when these ladies start milking and don't produce up to potential. But at least they won't die of thirst. Unless my water line freezes underground. Then I'm fucked.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #841
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There is a WIDE variety in forecasts right now:

WHDH (Channel 7) the one who is normally most accurate, has their track going south of us and we get very little.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #842
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'll believe we're getting twelve inches of snow when I see it on the ground. I know we've had a rough winter by local standards but rarely do we get twelve inches in one day.

I'm more worried about the freezing rain.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #843
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I promised myself I wouldn't bitch until March but it's close enough. I contract out the raising of cattle from 4-22 months old

So there are cattle au pairs?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #844
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I'll believe we're getting twelve inches of snow when I see it on the ground. I know we've had a rough winter by local standards but rarely do we get twelve inches in one day.

Yeah.

I think at this point a lot of the forcasting is media trying to get eyeballs to the TV/ Websites
Old 02-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #845
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Well that's not from the news, but from the Euro. That wouldn't be a one day snowfall. Instead that's total accumulation through Wednesday which includes the whole storm.

The NWS issued a WSW today with heavy ice and snow in excess of 6 inches for Kenton. So it's really not out of the ordinary. I'm curious to see where WxRisk has our totals at because he has been solid all winter.

Like Steam?

Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #846
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well that's not from the news, but from the Euro. That wouldn't be a one day snowfall. Instead that's total accumulation through Wednesday which includes the whole storm.

The NWS issued a WSW today with heavy ice and snow in excess of 6 inches for Kenton. So it's really not out of the ordinary. I'm curious to see where WxRisk has our totals at because he has been solid all winter.

last I saw he had us at 12-15
Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #847
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
So there are cattle au pairs?

So to speak, yes. We work with three other local farmers. One is a big crop farmer that is looking to add value to some of his crops by putting it through animals. Another is a smaller dairy farmer with surplus feed that is looking to add income without adding more milking cows and another is a retired dairy farmer that wants to have some animals around without the grind of having to milk them every day. We pay a flat rate per cow per day of about $2.00. We've got about 350 animals that we contract out to these guys.

Last edited by lungs : 02-28-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #848
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
One is a big crop farmer that is looking to add value to some of his crops by putting it through animals.

I kinda want to ask, but then I kinda don't as well.

Please tell me this just means he's looking for fresh manure, right?
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #849
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I kinda want to ask, but then I kinda don't as well.

Please tell me this just means he's looking for fresh manure, right?

The nutrient value of the manure is a part of it, but it's mainly a value added proposition. He could just sell his crops for a price or he could feed those crops to my animals and charge me a premium and he'll come out better than just selling the crops. If the cost of a crop goes up (fuel, fertilizer, etc..) then the price I pay him goes up accordingly.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #850
PilotMan
Head Coach

WxRisk First Call Map

Like Steam?