Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #201
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Some interesting notes on the season and the difference between the RL and CL...

Valdosta easily had the best batting average in the league (.291) and tied with Ann Arbor for the best OBP (.359) despite being without the DH. Where the hitting broke down for Valdosta was with the slugging percentage, Valdosta's .429 still led the CL, but all but two teams in the RL topped that number including the league leader Compton (.490). That also caused Valdosta's CL leading OPS (.788) to be lower than all of the RL teams but two as well.

Pitching wise, the reverse was true where Valdosta's pitchers led the league with an opponent batting average of .237, with Brooklyn right behind (.240) whereas the lowest Oavg in the RL was Ann Arbor at .259.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that I also led the league in Fielding percentage of .989... so that leaves me without any real good direction of where to go to improve my team. I feel like my Braves teams of the 90s.. a very talented team that just didn't put it together really almost ever.

Ditto. I mean, seriously, I marched out a team I feel was actually much improved over the one that dominated the RL in 1968. It was improved defensively. The running numbers were tweaked to cut down on the base stealing. I improved the plate discipline. I made additions to both the rotation and the pen that statistically would suggest an improvement.

And, yet, I dropped from 97 wins or whatever to 77 and a .500 record. Some guys had off years, but that alone doesn't explain it. I don't really know how to explain it (after all, I was a better defenively team and better with plate discipline and better with baserunning; I was also much worse in the pen--with better talent--several starters had off years, and my lineup was overall much less productive).

I am at a loss and find myself looking for answers (and even considering it may be time to ditch the team of stars for prospects and start over).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #202
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Bah, freakin Hartford signed two guys with MLCs that I had offers out for again! Always Hartford!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #203
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ditto. I mean, seriously, I marched out a team I feel was actually much improved over the one that dominated the RL in 1968. It was improved defensively. The running numbers were tweaked to cut down on the base stealing. I improved the plate discipline. I made additions to both the rotation and the pen that statistically would suggest an improvement.

And, yet, I dropped from 97 wins or whatever to 77 and a .500 record. Some guys had off years, but that alone doesn't explain it. I don't really know how to explain it (after all, I was a better defenively team and better with plate discipline and better with baserunning; I was also much worse in the pen--with better talent--several starters had off years, and my lineup was overall much less productive).

I am at a loss and find myself looking for answers (and even considering it may be time to ditch the team of stars for prospects and start over).

I think looking everything over, I'm not going to get down on my team, I think there is no reason for me to scrap it all, and that if I had gotten lucky, things could have bounced a different direction.

The biggest flaw I see on my team is the utter drop off of power numbers across the board for my hitters for no explainable reason:

Pagan 23 -> 12
Reyes 12 -> 4
Inman 18 -> 10
Palmer 24 -> 10

Other than Palmer (age), I don't have a reason for any of the others to drop off like they did. I wonder if this is just a sign that the overall pitching talent in the CL got better and wonder if other CL teams saw a similar drop in power numbers... Or maybe my team's steroid supplier should be fired...

Old 08-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #204
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think looking everything over, I'm not going to get down on my team, I think there is no reason for me to scrap it all, and that if I had gotten lucky, things could have bounced a different direction.

The biggest flaw I see on my team is the utter drop off of power numbers across the board for my hitters for no explainable reason:

Pagan 23 -> 12
Reyes 12 -> 4
Inman 18 -> 10
Palmer 24 -> 10

Other than Palmer (age), I don't have a reason for any of the others to drop off like they did. I wonder if this is just a sign that the overall pitching talent in the CL got better and wonder if other CL teams saw a similar drop in power numbers... Or maybe my team's steroid supplier should be fired...

Here is my concern, and one I think you should consider as well.

Were we good too soon? Did we just do a better job early on of finding the type of talent that would succeed and have that early success, and now we have fallen behind?

The reason I fear it is the latter is because this league has gone through so many strange talent infusions and of different types and different ages, and certainly not at all even (I have three straight drafts now myself where I was basically screwed by old drafted players, some FTP server error where my export disappeared, and a screwed up draft list program; and that has got to add up).

With all this different talent coming in and of different levels, I think the definition for the average to good player is constantly changing in the league. And my fear is that the drop in some numbers for my players (and maybe for some of your as well) isn't just a "bad" year, but a sign that league talent has caught up to us and passed us or changed in some way so that we are no longer on top of it as we were.

That's what I want to be on top of. An uncharacteristic and unexpected drop in performance like this is, to me, a sign of issues to resolve.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #205
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Bah, freakin Hartford signed two guys with MLCs that I had offers out for again! Always Hartford!

lol who was it?
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:02 PM   #206
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here is my concern, and one I think you should consider as well.

Were we good too soon? Did we just do a better job early on of finding the type of talent that would succeed and have that early success, and now we have fallen behind?

The reason I fear it is the latter is because this league has gone through so many strange talent infusions and of different types and different ages, and certainly not at all even (I have three straight drafts now myself where I was basically screwed by old drafted players, some FTP server error where my export disappeared, and a screwed up draft list program; and that has got to add up).

With all this different talent coming in and of different levels, I think the definition for the average to good player is constantly changing in the league. And my fear is that the drop in some numbers for my players (and maybe for some of your as well) isn't just a "bad" year, but a sign that league talent has caught up to us and passed us or changed in some way so that we are no longer on top of it as we were.

That's what I want to be on top of. An uncharacteristic and unexpected drop in performance like this is, to me, a sign of issues to resolve.

Well I also really haven't had much to show for the last three years in the way of prospects, somewhat for similar reasons as you, but also due to having low draft picks anyways, I have gotten borderline prospects..

I don't know that the past three years really affected much this year though for my team. Most of the players other teams got from the various drafts where I didn't get anyone good.. or the vulture league thing where I randomly didn't get anyone good I don't think really impacted this year that much. I think those things are looming on the back of my mind though that when my window is over, it will slam shut and I'll have to rebuild painfully though.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #207
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
lol who was it?

Already deleted my emails, and the transaction logs in the game are reset evidentally because it is offseason. I know I threw out offers on 5 guys though. Brooklyn I think got one, you got two and the other two I signed

They weren't anyone great, just people I threw money at just in case. I just thought it was funny because of the previous conversation how when I make offers to minor leaguers that are major league salaries they still turn them down for MLCs from Hartford

Old 08-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #208
muns
Pro Starter

Ya I threw money at 3 guys, one i got and 2 others that i didnt. I just wanted to see if one of them was my one money guy.

whale blubber and the cheap women up here are fantastic what more can i say???
Old 08-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #209
muns
Pro Starter

Quick question for everyone. Has anyone offered an upcoming FA on your team a contract (for them to resign) and then not have a record if it being rejected??? I guess in the respect im kinda lucky that I still have another sim to sign SP Benny Myers, but I would have lost my mind if it was the last sim and this happened.... I even just hit the meed the demand button..

But i wanted to see if anyone else got close to being screwed?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #210
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Quick question for everyone. Has anyone offered an upcoming FA on your team a contract (for them to resign) and then not have a record if it being rejected??? I guess in the respect im kinda lucky that I still have another sim to sign SP Benny Myers, but I would have lost my mind if it was the last sim and this happened.... I even just hit the meed the demand button..

I've seen it before, but only if you offer them less than they want or fewer (or too many) years.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #211
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I've seen it before, but only if you offer them less than they want or fewer (or too many) years.

Well that makes me pretty nervous about where ootp is if this crap is happening.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #212
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Stop being a cheapskate, muns!

Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #213
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well that makes me pretty nervous about where ootp is if this crap is happening.

I don't think it ought to be predictable. In real life, guys are always shopping for a better deal. So it stands to reason that resigning your own guys shouldn't be as easy as "meet demand" and sign. At least, in my estimation.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #214
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Stop being a cheapskate, muns!

The funny thing is, is that I was shocked to see what he wanted, so for once I wasnt being a cheap skate, (cause lets face it thats what I am) and I just went with the meet the demand button because I thought I was getting lucky and didnt want to screw it up.

Luckily he didnt come to his senses
Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 PM   #215
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The funny thing is, is that I was shocked to see what he wanted, so for once I wasnt being a cheap skate, (cause lets face it thats what I am) and I just went with the meet the demand button because I thought I was getting lucky and didnt want to screw it up.

Luckily he didnt come to his senses

So he didn't accept your "Meet the Demand" offer?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #216
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So he didn't accept your "Meet the Demand" offer?

Whatever it is worth, check to see if his new request is still the old meet the demand amount or not. I've seen before where you meet the demand, but in the 2-6 days it took for the player to consider the deal, their demand actually went up and they turned down the deal asking for a new higher demand.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #217
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think it ought to be predictable. In real life, guys are always shopping for a better deal. So it stands to reason that resigning your own guys shouldn't be as easy as "meet demand" and sign. At least, in my estimation.

your right, however my take on the "meet the demand button" is just like in real life, when the agent comes to you with his first offer (if said player wants to stay) and you either take it, or you Negotiate it.

and why wouldnt Benny Myers want to stay. I only made him the highest paid player for the last 4 years
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #218
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Looking through more stats.. Valdosta had at least a .500 or better record against every team it played this year except one... Toronto of all teams.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #219
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Whatever it is worth, check to see if his new request is still the old meet the demand amount or not. I've seen before where you meet the demand, but in the 2-6 days it took for the player to consider the deal, their demand actually went up and they turned down the deal asking for a new higher demand.

No he didnt accept the demand, and are you ready to be shocked. His new demand actually went down by 117,000 a season. so it comes to a total of 585,000 less than his previous contract demand. Makes no sense at all

Last edited by muns : 08-03-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #220
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looking through more stats.. Valdosta had at least a .500 or better record against every team it played this year except one... Toronto of all teams.

That kinda gets ya right in the middle of the chest doesnt it
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #221
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh.. I know why you have no record of it.. The transaction logs where it would be recorded are wiped out when you switch over to the offseason I noticed earlier.

You should have received an email message though of it however as well which shouldn't be wiped out.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #222
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh.. I know why you have no record of it.. The transaction logs where it would be recorded are wiped out when you switch over to the offseason I noticed earlier.

You should have received an email message though of it however as well which shouldn't be wiped out.

I didnt get the email. Ive gone over that 2 times already. Its like he wasnt offered the contract to begin with.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #223
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For another stat that makes me want to throw things...

33 Year old Valdosta Closer Matt wood, whom is 2nd all time in career saves didn't necessarily have a horrible year but it wasn't a year to remember either. He tied his career high for number of save opportunities in a season with 42, and ended up saving a career high 36 of those for an ok save percentage of .857.

The catch however is that Wood pitched in an additional 20 games that were not save opportunities, and compiled a record of 5-11 with a 3.06 ERA (yes that is 11 losses for my closer). An even freakier fact is that only 3 of his blown saves resulted in losses.. the other three he actually recorded 3 of his 5 wins in. He must have suddenly developed Rob Dibble syndrom where he completely and utterly forgets how to pitch when there is not a save situation at hand.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #224
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Rio Grande will be the big tester for aging in the league. Tyler Reilly, 31, was extended for 4 more years after a bad year. It is a gamble but I would have hated to let him walk away. Plus I don't have a great option at 1B this year anyways after Junior McKinney went from a good prospect after two years in AAA to just missing the major league roster this year and hitting .214 in AAA.

Jeff Brooks will probably be brought up from AAA this next season and get some playing time so Reilly isn't playing every day. Hopefully he bounces back.

Also, Tanak turns 30 in a month, Chunky Medina is 29 in April, and Aguilera will be 29 early next season. All are locked up for a while with big money contracts. I will win or die with my loyalty to these guys.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #225
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Rio Grande will be the big tester for aging in the league. Tyler Reilly, 31, was extended for 4 more years after a bad year. It is a gamble but I would have hated to let him walk away. Plus I don't have a great option at 1B this year anyways after Junior McKinney went from a good prospect after two years in AAA to just missing the major league roster this year and hitting .214 in AAA.

Jeff Brooks will probably be brought up from AAA this next season and get some playing time so Reilly isn't playing every day. Hopefully he bounces back.

Also, Tanak turns 30 in a month, Chunky Medina is 29 in April, and Aguilera will be 29 early next season. All are locked up for a while with big money contracts. I will win or die with my loyalty to these guys.

I am right there with you Bryan Hughes of course retired after this season at age 34, Prado, Palmer and Wood are all 30+ and Inman is at 28 himself. You can see why I get anxious when talking about losing my opportunity with this core of players. I feel any day the bottom will fall out on the entire team!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:20 AM   #226
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have looked over the top two teams in my league, and while they are very good, I do not believe they are more talented than my roster. So I don't see any reason (yet) to break things up. Just weird to have such Jekyll and Hyde back to back seasons with essentially the same players. I made some lineup changes (two) and I replaced one starter gone to FA with a rookie, but I think it comes down to my pen having its worst year yet by far (they are WAY too good to do that again), a lot of my starters having their worst year as well, and I probably shouldn't have thrown that many rookies into the lineup.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #227
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This year was crazy. I had career years from guys I didn't expect to develop and from older ones who weren't really supposed to last. Strangeness. I'm debating my course of action still, but don't want to leave the team stagnant if I decide to spend another year in Compton. Part of me wants to win a title before I leave there, while another part of me thinks there is some satisfaction in attempting to be the first GM to take 3 teams to the title.

I think in thinking about it, I'm gonna give it another year in Compton. We'll title this season "Unfinished Business" and I'll perhaps write a dynasty about it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-04-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #228
JeeberD
General Manager

Did we patch up or something? I couldn't remember if I downloaded a file when I woke up this morning, so when I got home from work I tried to download one then. Halfway through, OOTP went haywire, said something was invalid, and crashed to the main menu. Now when I try to load FOOL, I get, "DATA_BASE::load_data_base could not load world file". And then when I click OK, I get, "Could not load game! The database is corrupt."

Anyone have any clue what's going on here?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #229
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

From what I saw in some other thread around here, yes it is because you haven't grabbed to latest patch. DO that and then try again.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #230
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like I am sitting tight on moves right now after looking things over. I need to see where some abitration cases go before I start signing guys.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #231
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
From what I saw in some other thread around here, yes it is because you haven't grabbed to latest patch. DO that and then try again.

That did the trick. Thanks, Cringer...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote