Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #151
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Processing the trades that happened and I'll get up a new file. People who didn't make deals don't have to download it, as the one you have will work fine for you. But for those who did, you'll want to. I'll let you know when that's all done.

Thanks DC, That is gonna help me alot, as my head hurts.... I have no idea where anything is on my team at the moment
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #152
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Preparing the file now...
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #153
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

DC is the MAN!!
JimmyOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #154
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is 17.91 MB and contains all of tonight's trades. @ 61%
Old 08-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #155
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up! Goodnight.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #156
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Quote:
File is up! Goodnight.

Thxs DC!!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:17 AM   #157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoose12 View Post
Wow, Gilliam got paid big money.

Without looking at the details, nearly as much as Yamazaki.

To be fair, the last year is a Team Option and represents the biggest cost. There is an MVP incentive, too, although a small one ($500K).

Gilliam isn't worth that, no doubt it. But I had the money to spend, and his value is closer to that, IMO, then it appears.

This is a guy who has never had less than an .870 OPS, and has 30-HR power ability. He has excellent GAP and plate discipline. He's fast. He's a great defender. He has proven it over four years, and he's just 26. And the year when he's 32 is voidable. I needed the big power bat.

Look at this from Colorado's perspective. We have Gonzales (26), Davis (22), and Ite Beens (21, you'll get more familiar with him this year) as absolute stud pitchers. We have Castillo at CL and an absolutely deep pen with a bunch of high quality pitchers on the way.

But offense is a potential issue. Carnell never has hit his stride. Gonzalez is getting old, and never really panned out to the level he once played. Larsen got old and now he has been overpaid to play in Quad City. I don't believe Garcia will reproduce last year--ever, and Alvarado isn't getting any younger. That leaves me with, essentially, Murphy and Miyahara as the basis of my offense, surrounded by an okay supporting cast. So Gilliam comes in and becomes my #5 hitter. He protects Miyahara and drives home a lineup full of table-setters. I think he could have a big impact for us with the type of game he brings, and keep the offense afloat while the pitching carries it.

I wish I was going to be around this weekend to see how things go.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 AM   #158
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Larsen got old and now he has been overpaid to play in Quad City.

It was one of the few positions where I had a hole. I also had the cap room and well, when you get the chance to steal a player from a rival and improve your own team, you do it. Even if you'll end up eating 2-3 years of the deal (his also contains a 5th year option)

It's worth it if he puts us over the top in the short term, because we needed it.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #159
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

[quote=

I wish I was going to be around this weekend to see how things go.[/quote]

No worris, Compton shall prevail anyway
Old 08-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #160
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post
No worris, Compton shall prevail anyway

Ann Arbor, Boston, Colorado and Quad City are probably inclined to disagree. But you go ahead and believe that if you wanna...
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #161
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The file with the trade I missed (HAR/ATL) is now up. Now goodnight for real. Only those two teams need to grab it.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #162
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Quote:
Ann Arbor, Boston, Colorado and Quad City are probably inclined to disagree. But you go ahead and believe that if you wanna...

Ann arbor and boston won't even come close to Compton this year. They just don't have the pitching and also have some holes at bats. Colorado will be my biggest battle i do believe. They have a slight edge over compton's pitching but then compton has a slight edge at bats. Quad city made some good moves this yer to try and get in on the action but although they do have some good pitching, i just don't think they have the run support to back it up. Let's not forget that compton has not messed around to much with their pitching staff from last year, got rid of 2 pitxhers that just didn't belong and made room for Flores who is gonna shine. The latest trade just plugged in a solid #5 SP and also made us even more dangerous with our bats with SS Numbers. Since last years run to the classic we have added 3 big bats more than what we had last year and the pitching imo will be a little better but that remains to be seen.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 AM   #163
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I've had pretty much multiple 30+ year olds for years and years!

Wait a sec...this sounds familiar.

Hmm...thinking...thinking...thinking...

:lightbulb:

Got it! Paging Schmidty, Swaggs, bsak16, Maple Leafs--he's back at it again!

(this is a reference only Alan will get, I think...)

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 AM   #164
muns
Pro Starter

Im not even gonna guess this one, however since I went to HS with Sack, I can say he hasnt ever had multiple 30 year olds
Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #165
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It was one of the few positions where I had a hole. I also had the cap room and well, when you get the chance to steal a player from a rival and improve your own team, you do it. Even if you'll end up eating 2-3 years of the deal (his also contains a 5th year option)

It's worth it if he puts us over the top in the short term, because we needed it.

Oh, yeah, I pretty muich assumed the last year was voidable.

No, it's a good move, especially if you believe 30 year olds will start lasting longer. But it's definitely a risk. Our offers per year were comparable from what I can see, but I was only willing to go three years. So those extra two years got him to you.

He's one of FOOL's best ever, and a sure fire Hall of Famer. I'll definitely miss him.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 AM   #166
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Im not even gonna guess this one, however since I went to HS with Sack, I can say he hasnt ever had multiple 30 year olds

Only old members of the RWBL in the first years with Alan will get it.

I am pretty sure that's just me and Alan. But if those other guys dropped in, they would get it. As would Raven (where have you gone, Bob?), Neuqua, MrBug, Koji (another guy I miss).

Back in the day, that league rocked.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #167
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hehe, back in 2003? or whenever it was, it used to be a running joke that I was running a retirement home as it seemed to be that I was the team that everyone "pawned" off all of their old, over the hill guys to in trades. This was back in ootp4 or 5 or whatever version was out back then and the development curve was much much different.

I took all of those over the hill guys though and made a pretty successful team out of them for several years though which was fun. I don't think that was any great feat though on my part, I just found an area where I could get good value in trades for players at the time. I think my best job ever GMing in OOTP was still what I did at Sapporo in the JBL before I had to drop.

Last edited by Alan T : 08-13-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #168
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
All I know is, when I need to have a fire sale, I'm contracting duties to muns. He does not mess around. When he says he's having a fire sale, he means it. And he gets good value on the buck.

ha ha well thanks!!!! I think I did ok for myself. Time well tell if any of those guys pan out. I didnt get as much pitching as I wanted or hoped for however the plan is to use those draft picks on pitching to make up for it.... Who knows with my luck there wont be any in the draft.....
Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #169
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ann arbor and boston won't even come close to Compton this year. They just don't have the pitching and also have some holes at bats. Colorado will be my biggest battle i do believe. They have a slight edge over compton's pitching but then compton has a slight edge at bats. Quad city made some good moves this yer to try and get in on the action but although they do have some good pitching, i just don't think they have the run support to back it up. Let's not forget that compton has not messed around to much with their pitching staff from last year, got rid of 2 pitxhers that just didn't belong and made room for Flores who is gonna shine. The latest trade just plugged in a solid #5 SP and also made us even more dangerous with our bats with SS Numbers. Since last years run to the classic we have added 3 big bats more than what we had last year and the pitching imo will be a little better but that remains to be seen.

Ill throw my 2 cents in there........ Ann Arbor I havent thought had much pitching for the past like 5 years, but he is there every single year.. So I dont think that assessment is correct period.

Boston rotates off years for whatever reason, and all its gonna take is for that one year where it doesnt happen to him and that divison will go to him. They are way passed due.

Quad City is right there as well and may have the best Starting pitching staff in that division.... If history has taught us anything in "FOOL" starting pitching can carry you a long long ways.

Colorado is another interesting team. They like Boston have been plagued with guys that have had up and down years "due to the game being weird IMO" and if they hit the stride again like they did in their "championship years" they are scary scary team.

Now on to you. You have a heck of a team no doubt, but im not sure im gonna call it a landslide division winning for you...

Ill throw out my 5 cents later on tonight (working really late again) after I have the game in front of me.

Last edited by muns : 08-13-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #170
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sorry, it's been a long day and I lost track of time.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #171
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Stanford Jones (HAR) signed a 4-year deal worth $31.5 million with Boston.

Gabriel Ortiz (NYH) signed a 5-year deal worth $46.5 million with Texas.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #172
muns
Pro Starter

Gotta love that Ortiz deal. Good Ole AI for ya.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #173
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

78 of the 240 players in the draft pool have a potential of between 2 to 5 stars.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #174
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Prepping the file now.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #175
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Glad to see Boston snag a player that'll help them compete this year.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #176
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Glad to see Boston snag a player that'll help them compete this year.

Since Im not in any position to compete ill comment I dont like the move Unless he is gonna DH.

He already has King, and if Stanford takes at bats away from King that could hurt his development/future.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #177
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #178
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
78 of the 240 players in the draft pool have a potential of between 2 to 5 stars.

Something funky with the draft pool...there are 41 players with 100 for potential in contact!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #179
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't create the draft pool, the AI did. That's how it's setup now. Taking the consensus from here, people said they wanted a draft that would allow for 3-5 rounds of decent players. We have that. Besides that, I let the AI generate the class and all I did was run tests to try to get to a place where I could get the 3-5 round decentness that was consensus from a few months ago.

We've got that.

All of the players simply will not pan out, so...I wouldn't be worried. At all.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #180
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I didn't create the draft pool, the AI did. That's how it's setup now. Taking the consensus from here, people said they wanted a draft that would allow for 3-5 rounds of decent players. We have that. Besides that, I let the AI generate the class and all I did was run tests to try to get to a place where I could get the 3-5 round decentness that was consensus from a few months ago.

We've got that.

All of the players simply will not pan out, so...I wouldn't be worried. At all.

Agreed, nothing to worry about. And we decided this a few months ago? Get some sleep tonight DC, weeks are starting to feel like months to you.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #181
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Agreed, nothing to worry about. And we decided this a few months ago? Get some sleep tonight DC, weeks are starting to feel like months to you.

HAAAAAAAAAAA..ZING!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #182
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Uhm, I think the most odd thing about the draft class is that everyone seems to be 18 years old. I am not complaining, just pointing it out to you DC though I am sure you would notice by tomorrow night. I don't think this really hurts us in anyway, but maybe it is something you can slap your computer around for if it wants to keep doing it in the future.

That is actually the great thing about this league. It moves fast enough we can let the little things like this slide some.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #183
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Another note on the draft:

10 Pitchers with 1.5 star or higher potential, 7 of those are SP

76 Batters with 1.5 star or higher potential, 26 with 4.5 star or higher potential.

Another note, with everybody being 18, basically all the players have no current ability.
graygoose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 AM   #184
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

AI created everybody. I just let the AI do it and the age range was from 18-22. Dunno why it only created 18 year olds, but hey...thems the breaks.

Maybe next year, I can config it to create more pitchers through doing it myself.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
AI created everybody. I just let the AI do it and the age range was from 18-22. Dunno why it only created 18 year olds, but hey...thems the breaks.

Maybe next year, I can config it to create more pitchers through doing it myself.

There's a lot of weird stuff with this. As noted, pitching is week. There are tons of guys with 80 CON potential or better. But good ability in GAP, POW and EYE are rare and only a handful have good ratings in all. Plus, the all 18 thing. It's just weird.

It just goes to show you what you get trusting Markus's draft generator, unfortunately.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #186
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I find that by trading away most of my draft picks it causes me to not worry as much about how bad the draft ended up

I still think we have a crazy amount of too much talent coming in, but ahh well

Old 08-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #187
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Since Im not in any position to compete ill comment I dont like the move Unless he is gonna DH.

He already has King, and if Stanford takes at bats away from King that could hurt his development/future.

First off, I had money to spend and needed to spend it somewhere. Since I lost out on Yamakazi, and there were no starting pitchers worth anything, this seemed like a good place.

Second, I like having two catchers, and Moreno was absolutely not cutting it as a backup.

Third, King has been trying to develop for years without taking too many steps forward. King has also been pretty average defensively.

They'll probably both get playing time, but King was not working out as well as I'd hoped for an every day catcher. Sure, I'd be happy going into the season with him, but I think this helps. As close as we've been, every little bit can help push us over.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #188
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Just wondering if there will be a new file tonight?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #189
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There should be. The draft and spring training should run tonight.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #190
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Of course. Every day of the week except Saturdays.

Tonight is the last night of trading, the draft gets run, as does spring training. Tomorrow night is the deadline for submitting your final rosters before we run the sim this weekend.

Deadline is always 10pm eastern/7pm pacific.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #191
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1971 Season Thread - Front Office Football Central