Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2008, 06:17 PM   #151
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
By the way, how do I have so much money tied up for extensions instead of FAs? I have no pending offers.

extensions go off of projected salary for next year, FA's are for this year. I must say one of the dumbest things about this game.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #152
Anthony
Banned

for the record, the negativity i get when i post doesn't bother me, i'm a big boy and if i couldn't take it i wouldn't post or i'd leave.

i don't talk about my team so positively just for fuck's sake. i am being completely sincere when i say i have a great team and think it's championship caliber. there was one season not too long ago (i think it was 3 seasons ago) when i admitted to not having a good team. the point is when it's there - it's there and i'll let you know about it. when it isn't there i'm not gonna continue the trash talk and try to get everyone to believe in smoke i'm blowing up their asses. it's just for the last 3 seasons i've added better and better players. this is unprecedented in my MP career in any game. i've never had the ability to field a better team (on paper) than the previous year 3 times in a row. the fact that i was able to parlay John Hunt (who hasn't done anything the last 4 seasons despite a bad contract) into Steve Oliver...oooof. not good for the RL. i've tried to downplay that trade cuz i don't want Chief Rum to think i'm grandstanding and poo pooing all over a guy i talked up in our negotiations, but the results speak for themselves. i think Hunt was holding us back, and with his contract i couldn't justify batting him 8th or 9th (where he belonged) so i had to keep him in the mix at like #4 , 5 or 6th in the lineup.

i've never had any of my players in any game become MVP, let alone have a 2nd guy the following year finish as the runner up. i've never had those caliber of players on my teams. this is big stuff. i got the hitters and now the pitchers. if you think on paper the Violators are gonna finish out of 2nd place then you're just hating. this is gonna be a big season in Long Island. and free agency is just getting started. oof.

Last edited by Anthony : 10-27-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #153
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
extensions go off of projected salary for next year, FA's are for this year. I must say one of the dumbest things about this game.

that makes complete sense. unless you want to throw out all concepts of accounting, in no scenario would a team that is projected to be over the cap have the money to all of a sudden resign every major star on their team, thus throwing themselves further in the red. i know this is pretend money, but there has to be some semblence of realism with regards to financials.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #154
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
that makes complete sense. unless you want to throw out all concepts of accounting, in no scenario would a team that is projected to be over the cap have the money to all of a sudden resign every major star on their team, thus throwing themselves further in the red. i know this is pretend money, but there has to be some semblence of realism with regards to financials.

I don't believe it makes any sense. Once the classic ends all contracts are for the next season. If it is going to be paid next year, why limit my spending to the amount I have available this year?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #155
Tasan
College Starter

We haven't rolled over the "season" yet.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #156
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
We haven't rolled over the "season" yet.

As far as contracts offering go, once the playoffs are done and you're in the offseason you have rolled over the season.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #157
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
for the record, the negativity i get when i post doesn't bother me, i'm a big boy and if i couldn't take it i wouldn't post or i'd leave.

i don't talk about my team so positively just for fuck's sake. i am being completely sincere when i say i have a great team and think it's championship caliber. there was one season not too long ago (i think it was 3 seasons ago) when i admitted to not having a good team. the point is when it's there - it's there and i'll let you know about it. when it isn't there i'm not gonna continue the trash talk and try to get everyone to believe in smoke i'm blowing up their asses. it's just for the last 3 seasons i've added better and better players. this is unprecedented in my MP career in any game. i've never had the ability to field a better team (on paper) than the previous year 3 times in a row. the fact that i was able to parlay John Hunt (who hasn't done anything the last 4 seasons despite a bad contract) into Steve Oliver...oooof. not good for the RL. i've tried to downplay that trade cuz i don't want Chief Rum to think i'm grandstanding and poo pooing all over a guy i talked up in our negotiations, but the results speak for themselves. i think Hunt was holding us back, and with his contract i couldn't justify batting him 8th or 9th (where he belonged) so i had to keep him in the mix at like #4 , 5 or 6th in the lineup.

i've never had any of my players in any game become MVP, let alone have a 2nd guy the following year finish as the runner up. i've never had those caliber of players on my teams. this is big stuff. i got the hitters and now the pitchers. if you think on paper the Violators are gonna finish out of 2nd place then you're just hating. this is gonna be a big season in Long Island. and free agency is just getting started. oof.

What gets me though, is that you are arrogant enough to brag----but as you put it not 'Big Boy' enough to even post once during the season sim as your team posts a losing season.

You wanna be a big boy, fine---when your team tanks again this season, man up and say my bad boys. THAT would at least get you SOME respect from folks.
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #158
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
As far as contracts offering go, once the playoffs are done and you're in the offseason you have rolled over the season.

The salary report still shows us on 1981 and those contract values controlling what money we have right now to spend. Otherwise I'd have over 30 mil to spend right now, and I don't. Just over 20 mil, which is where I was at Friday.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #159
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wasn't threatening to kick anyone out of the league. I've just gotten several people tell me they are a bit tired of the back and forth that has been going on between Anthony and a few others is all. I just was trying to calm the peace a bit and get people pointed back to other more productive venues... such as who all is going to put in a ton of money for the free agent Starting pitcher from the VL?

In the end, you are all adults, some of which with conflicting personalities.. and no one will be able to tell any of you what you have to do or not do. I just personally think if someone annoys me, I usually just ignore their posts is all. I just don't want to see owners that I value get tired of the league because of constant bickering is all. I don't want to see people leave because of personality conflicts.. I just want everyone to get along

I dont have a problem saying im sorry and my bad to the rest of the league for having me continue at it.... I have a hard time ignoring bates and jabs that arent in good fun (tasan's is hilarious IMO), and in the end if im hurting the league, than I gotta know when to stop. So I appologize to everyone if they PMED Alan about it.... As ive said it to a few others tonight this isnt what I signed up for, so all will be quiet on the muns front for a while.....
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #160
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The salary report still shows us on 1981 and those contract values controlling what money we have right now to spend. Otherwise I'd have over 30 mil to spend right now, and I don't. Just over 20 mil, which is where I was at Friday.

Maybe I'm wrong then, Lord knows I've been wrong plenty of times before. My understanding always has been contract offers made after the playoffs end are for the next season. Contract offers accepted prior to the end of the playoffs are for the current season.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 PM   #161
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I figured out how to get it to let me....make an offer.

My irate fans are going to be irater if things don't work out.

Grab an early edition of the Tattler for coverage of the riots.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #162
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong then, Lord knows I've been wrong plenty of times before. My understanding always has been contract offers made after the playoffs end are for the next season. Contract offers accepted prior to the end of the playoffs are for the current season.

I'm really not sure when the contracts themselves are for, but I know for a fact I'm limited to my smaller number from 1981 right now, and not the larger 1982 figure.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #163
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

This is because FA hasn't officially started, therefore you will still see things for the 1981 season. This includes being limited on FA's to the money you still have available in 1981. Your extensions are fore 1982 so you have to look at the 1982 salary figure. This is why I think the game is screwed up. The game limits teams to how much money they have in the current year (in this case 1981) from the start of the FA period until the day prior to the next FA period. Even though after the playoffs end all contracts are for the next season. I hope this made sense.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #164
Tasan
College Starter

Makes sense, and I agree with you. So if they take a 4 year contract right now, it'll be for 82, 83, 84, and 85, but you're limited to offer something under your 81 cap figure? Figures. Everyone go thank Marcus.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #165
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm really not sure when the contracts themselves are for, but I know for a fact I'm limited to my smaller number from 1981 right now, and not the larger 1982 figure.

I know for a fact that the financial budget pages flipped over at the end of the playoffs because it caused me a headache trying to apply penalties to a few teams as well as refund old incentive money.

Looking at the game, it seems like the financial stuff all happens at different times and not all at one clean time as I would have assumed. Based at a quick glance here, this is what it seems to happen:

After playoffs:
- End of year Budget is run, budget flips over to the new budget. (1981 now shows as Last season overview and the current financial overview refers to the upcoming 1982 season)
- New contract offers made apply to 1982 as the current season, you can not make any new contract offers for 1981 (as if you would want to).

When players file for free agency:
- $ for free agents switch to the next season.

Weird, but that is what it seems to do.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #166
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Makes sense, and I agree with you. So if they take a 4 year contract right now, it'll be for 82, 83, 84, and 85, but you're limited to offer something under your 81 cap figure? Figures. Everyone go thank Marcus.

This is correct.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #167
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I figured this out.

The game has built a sort of cooling off period into itself. Between the playoffs and the filing of free agents, it assumes you are going to focus on re-signing your free agents to be to extensions. I suppose another assumption here is that in most leagues, there won't be a free agent worth a piss during this stretch of time.

In a move of tremendous german engineering, the game therefor locks every penny that your FAs-to-be are demanding, away from you for anything but extensions. Presumably, the idea here is to protect you from blowing your wad on free agents and then not being able to sign your own loyal fellow to the extension he wants. (I said wad.)

I'm not sure quite what formula it uses, but I solved this problem by waxing a number of guys who I didn't want to re-sign anyway ahead of the sim rather than letting them file.

Hopefully this information is not used against me to top my 130 million, 2 year offer to Noah Spokes.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:39 AM   #168
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
I also put my weakest arm in the #3 spot. I wanted someone slightly better in games 4 and 8 (if it got that far), but I suspect that's fairly standard practice.

Heh...I did that last year (weakest arm at #3). And watched as Matos had to face off with Aquino when I was down 4 to 2 in the series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:59 AM   #169
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
the fact that i was able to parlay John Hunt (who hasn't done anything the last 4 seasons despite a bad contract) into Steve Oliver...oooof. not good for the RL. i've tried to downplay that trade cuz i don't want Chief Rum to think i'm grandstanding and poo pooing all over a guy i talked up in our negotiations, but the results speak for themselves. i think Hunt was holding us back, and with his contract i couldn't justify batting him 8th or 9th (where he belonged) so i had to keep him in the mix at like #4 , 5 or 6th in the lineup.

Heh, grandstand away. I think you know you weren't fooling me with your BS on Hunt. Come on, look at me and my team. You KNOW you weren't fooling me. I took Hunt for one reason--because you couldn't afford what I gave you if I didn't. Hunt's gone after this next year, playing maybe some very well paid platoon role as I roll to the CL championship, and then next year I have another cool $11 M to spend on the next great 'Cracker.

It was a move that was beneficial to us both. I know for instance that Vazquez isn't really enough to help you beat Hartford, and I moved him and his contract, because he wasn't helping me win the CL either. Davis and Oliver can help you, but I wasn't going to resign one, and I was going to void the option on the other.

I basically got all those prospects and a ton of cap space for nothing. Thanks!

P.S. While I am sincere in my opinion on the above, I say this all somewhat facetiously. This was just a deal that worked for both teams for different reasons. Anthony did get three terrific players for a pretty good deal. I basically traded absolutely nothing and got something, a lot of something. So good luck to him, and maybe we'll meet in the Classic one of these years.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 10-28-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:10 AM   #170
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and as for the back and forth, well, I don't want people to be upset all the time at Anthony, or having it detract from their enjoyment of the league. But I do believe Anthony is a valuable member of the league, as much as any other regular who puts in his (and her) time here.

I have played in a football league with Anthony, and in the RWBL on two (or was it three, Anthony?) occasions, and the fact is, it's easy to get along with him if you know how. Anthony will be the first to tell you he's a bragger and a boaster, and he is utterly convinced of his greatness (we share that trait, be happy I gave the CL a year off this past season for kicks). Once you see that, it's a lot more fun to read his posts, and not take them seriously. It's more fun to banter back and forth, like we did in the Smack Talk thread. Yeah, I had egg all over my face, but I had a lot of fun with that. I'm going to start another one, maybe showing me pissing all over kaos. Parents, hide the kids!

Seriously, the posts that I think people get riled up about are the ones where Anthony is responding to being challenged. So don't challenge him. Let him say what he wants to say, let Anthony be Anthony. Anthony is an aggressive defender, always has been, from my experience. If you want to prove him wrong, show it on the field. That's where it matters most.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #171
Anthony
Banned

if that's the case, then i'm VERY glad i got rid of Hunt. i just have a policy of not talking bad about former players that i've traded. while you see it as a win for you cuz you got something for nothing, i see it that i got 3 good players (2 being valuable pitchers in a pitching-starved league) for some good prospects AND the right to include Hunt in the deal to get him off my books so i could reallocate those monies to players who can actually earn their salary. this indeed was a win-win for both. i would've given up even more if you didn't send Williams to Hartford. guess i had a slow trigger finger. but you completely restocked your team, good job.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #172
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Seriously, the posts that I think people get riled up about are the ones where Anthony is responding to being challenged.

Sorry Chief, but that is not correct. The guy was posting his stuff ad nauseum well before anyone decided to call him on it.

But I took your post to heart. It's just a game, and Anthony is certainly an entertaining part of it all.

I think my temper has been worse than usual lately (especially the last week) because my 8-week old daughter has laughed at my feeble attempts to get more than 3 hours sleep per night. Add to that my job, which can be highly stressful (I am in the luxury hotel business, and as you can imagine with today's economy, times are a little tough).

I will certainly try to be a little less piss and vinegar going forward. I will say though, that there is a difference between playful boasting (of which you are a master, Chief~no pun intended) and being an asshole. And on a forum it can be hard, if not impossible to tell the difference at times. I tend to side with Tim in where I think Anthony falls, but all the same I don't want to hurt a league in which I am still a newb.

I sincerely hope my negativity in the last week hasn't harmed my standing with any of you.

Last edited by Pike : 10-28-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #173
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
I sincerely hope my negativity in the last week hasn't harmed my standing with any of you.

No worries there, you never had much standing with me to begin with...

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #174
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
No worries there, you never had much standing with me to begin with...

lol, well that's reassuring to be sure.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #175
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike View Post
lol, well that's reassuring to be sure.

Don't worry. I don't yet want your head on a, er... pike...

SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #176
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Don't worry. I don't yet want your head on a, er... pike...

Someday, I'll have to tell you how I got the name. Rest assured, my parents love me and did not give me the name!