Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #101
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I entered the
League File name: FOOLH.lg
League File URL: http://www.seojudo.com/baseball/FOOLH.lg.tar.gz

But when I try to update league file I get
'Please ener a host name first. You'll find the options in the Game Setup screen'

I corrected your entry in the quote above. Try that and it should work. (and make sure to uncheck the box saying to use FTP for download).

DC, in the league file, you don't have the information in it for where our games should upload our exports to (FTP account information). If you have it in yours, you might not have the checkbox marked to send that information in the league file to us though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #102
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Okay, downloaded here. I am getting an error about "could not open historical database", does that matter?
Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #103
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And I have 8 OFers and only 9 pitchers, so if anyone wants to trade, let me know!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #104
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Okay, downloaded here. I am getting an error about "could not open historical database", does that matter?

I think that is because DC unchecked to include that dat file in the zip file perhaps. I don't think it breaks anything, but I think all of us are getting that.

Quote:
And I have 8 OFers and only 9 pitchers, so if anyone wants to trade, let me know!

That is because of the era. No one likely has more than 9 pitchers, or at least much more. There aren't any spare pitchers to go around at all. That was my concern about using modern pitching fatigue settings, but DC tested it out and said it worked ok with only 9 pitchers per team in his tests.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #105
fairly
n00b

So, the game is setup for "modern" settings--does that mean 5-man rotations, use of relievers and closers "very often", pitcher stamina "low"? Or has this been altered since we don't have 12-man staffs?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #106
EddieK
High School Varsity

I hope so, because if so then I'm screwed because I only have 3 sp. And 6 catchers.
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #107
Tasan
College Starter

Make sure you look closely at your position players. Some of them have decent to good pitching ability. Also all those catchers probably have good ability at other positions as well. Check the hitting of your pitchers too, I found a real good 3B in my staff. He'll play 3B and close for me, we'll see how the game actually handles that.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:53 PM   #108
EddieK
High School Varsity

So we definitley need 5 SP's is what you are alluding to?
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #109
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I think Tasan is pointing out that you may have 5 SPs, just two of them may be listed as position players. I need to go through my roster more closely.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #110
gstelmack
Pro Starter

One question on that: can we have a guy pitch and play a position, or does OOTP limit you based on what you've set him as?

I know he can't in the same game, but I'm wondering if I can have him play third base say most of the time then come on to pitch, or maybe have him switch to relief and have the backup come in at third.

Or do we need to just adjust everyone's position so I really have enough guys set to pitcher positions to have a 5 man rotation and a deep bullpen?

Last edited by gstelmack : 07-27-2009 at 04:02 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #111
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One question on that: can we have a guy pitch and play a position, or does OOTP limit you based on what you've set him as?

You can definitely have a position player pitch in OOTP. I am fearful for what type of issues may come from that however thanks to some of the bugs I've seen logged due to players being in the lineup at two different positions at once. (not necessarily due to having position players pitch however).

Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #112
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sorry, got confused with the OOTP FTP settings thing. It's new to me since X does it differently than 9.

As for the pitching settings, I've gone ahead and changed pitcher stamina to High, made relievers and closers set to rarely (since that's period correct) and switched rotations to 3-man as the default. That ought to fix some of your concerns, because the thing to keep in mind is that my testing really didn't work in a FOOL-like environment, that is, mimicing the way people actually run their teams and I didn't assess pitcher "quality" as much as just checking records and stats to see if they were okay.

But since the game defaults to "use highest rested starter" it probably skewed things and changing it for 20 years should make life a little better for us.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #113
Tasan
College Starter

So do we need to re-download the file, or did you do these changes with the original file posted?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
So do we need to re-download the file, or did you do these changes with the original file posted?

It'll be changed the next time we have a file. I didn't make any "mass" changes using the AI, since all of the teams have owners now. I'll just allow you all to do that, but it's just a heads up so you all can make your changes accordingly (if you want to, of course.)
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #115
Tasan
College Starter

So is our first sim gonna be the ammy draft this Wednesday?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:06 PM   #116
fairly
n00b

Setting pitcher stamina to "high" and using 3-man starting rotations effectively means that the relief pitchers will very rarely get used. I've already played through this era in "The Baseball Chronicle" and that's what happened there. To be realistic to the time period you should have 4-man rotations and "normal" stamina, relief pitcher usage "normal" and closer "very rarely". 4-man starting rotations were the norm by 1900.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #117
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Mind you I'm not up on historical baseball and OOTP, so this may be expected, but man will I have to get used to these ratings:

- Every single member of my team (including fielders) has a MOV of 8 or 9.
- No fielders have a stuff higher than 1 (so unlikely I'll find pitchers there as mentioned above), and my highest pitcher stuff is a 4 (I assume that's expected for the era).
- All four SP on my roster have a stamina of 10, as do 2 of the relievers. Of my 3 remaining pitchers, 2 have a 2, and one has a 1. All fielders are of course a 1 (again, I doubt I'm finding pitchers there).
- I have exactly one player wtih an Avoid K's of 7, one of my LF. Everyone else is 8/9/10.
- I have three hitters with a power of 2. Everyone else is a 1.

Most other attributes look like I'm used to, but man is it weird looking over these rosters.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #118
spleen1015
Coordinator

I need some help. Is the first sim tomorrow? I am unable to FTP my export. It doesn't look like it is set up. What am I missing?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #119
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I need some help. Is the first sim tomorrow? I am unable to FTP my export. It doesn't look like it is set up. What am I missing?

It is not you, no panic.

OOTPX is completely different as far as the configuration goes for a Commish, so DC is working on getting it all to work correctly. I am sure that the first export won't be due until everything works ok.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #120
spleen1015
Coordinator

Cool. Thanks Alan.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #121
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I just uploaded a new file. I followed Alan's instructions, so provided I didn't screw them up too bad, you should be able to download the new file and things should be okay.

Let me know if that worked for you and then we can go from there. We won't have a FA sim in this first season conversely, so...we can just do the draft & ST and get ready for the season over the weekend.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #122
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I just uploaded a new file. I followed Alan's instructions, so provided I didn't screw them up too bad, you should be able to download the new file and things should be okay.

Let me know if that worked for you and then we can go from there. We won't have a FA sim in this first season conversely, so...we can just do the draft & ST and get ready for the season over the weekend.

DC, I found the new file you put up here instead: http://www.seojudo.com/baseball/FOOLH.tar.gz

But still seeing problems with it. I'll drop you a PM.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #123
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
League File name: FOOLH.lg
League File URL: http://www.seojudo.com/baseball/FOOLH.lg.tar.gz

I helped DC get the file all straight. You should be able to download the new one (included in the link I quoted).

Once you have it loaded up in OOTPX, go to your Game -> FTP options and verify that the team export upload information is filled in, and make sure your league file download information is filled in.

If your league file download is not complete, enter the information listed in the quote above.

It should work for you to export now, if anyone has any problems, let me know and I am happy to help.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #124
cmldude
Mascot

everything worked on my end, i exported and it said it went through. i'm set to get this historic league under way. thanks for setting it up
cmldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #125
fairly
n00b

How did Paddy Quinn end up in the league (and on my team)? In RL, his last game was 1877! He is 51 yrs. old. The AI released 2 of my players, presumably to get down to 25, but Paddy was not one of them.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #126
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

NY giants exported a-ok

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #127
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The Red Sox exported.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:01 PM   #128
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Time to start a new thread, kicking off this thing.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote