Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #151
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I understand the reasons against it for major league players to minors, but for the minors, it someone wants to do it because it can really negatively affect player movement and this isn't a minor league sim, it's a major league sim. And it's an option available to everyone. So...there isn't an advantage bestowed, since it'd only be minor league management of lineups, player movement, etc., and again only if said GM wants to do that.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #152
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Like I said, I can live with the minor league thing. I probably won't do it though just because I am not sure I trust the AI.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #153
muns
Pro Starter

Well I can tell you from my experience this year, that the AI has screwed my minors all up. I have no idea why some guys are where they are. Heck they left an 18 back up catcher who played a few positions for me on the mlb team and he had no business being there what so ever with who i have on the AAA team. So i wont be making that change, however it can be an advantage if they do make a few moves correctly and progress good spects up during the year (but im ok with it) just wanted throw out my 2 cents

Last edited by muns : 08-03-2008 at 12:44 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #154
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am upgrading to 9.1.6, which was released yesterday. Doubt that is a problem with the commish but figured I would let you all know it's out...
Old 08-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #155
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Well I can tell you from my experience this year, that the AI has screwed my minors all up. I have no idea why some guys are where they are. Heck they left an 18 back up catcher who played a few positions for me on the mlb team and he had no business being there what so ever with who i have on the AAA team. So i wont be making that change, however it can be an advantage if they do make a few moves correctly and progress good spects up during the year (but im ok with it) just wanted throw out my 2 cents

I do the same, because my experience with the AI managing my minors is one that is really bad. It always has seemed to stagnate the entire group of players and cause me issues with prospects developing.

I doubt I'll ever win a minor league championship on any level or even come close as I simply could care less about any of that, I try to place my guys each year in a place that I feel they can develop the best for the future. All the AI does is make a mess of that for me.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #156
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

We're considering simming 25 years into the future this week and then starting from there (1995) to basically give the player model a chance to evolve and give us some history going forward in FOOL.

Here's the discussion here.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-03-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #157
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Sorry I am at a wedding this weekend and am not able to do much. I should be on later to look at everything, but you may move on with the Classic whenever. No reason to tinker with something that has already done so well. Good Luck DC!
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #158
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
Sorry I am at a wedding this weekend and am not able to do much. I should be on later to look at everything, but you may move on with the Classic whenever. No reason to tinker with something that has already done so well. Good Luck DC!

That was me last week, at a wedding and doing all sorts of stuff. Have fun and good luck to you, too.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #159
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

15 minutes to post time. Brooklyn v. Compton, 1969 FOOL Classic is on its way!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #160
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The 1960s are about to be done, as the 1969 FOOL Classic gets underway. The Continental League champions, the Brooklyn Brownstones will take on the Compton Brothers, the upstart champions from the Republic League who are in just their fourth year of existence.

Games 1 & 2 are in Compton, Games 3-5 are in Brooklyn, Games 6-7 are in Compton and Games 8 & 9 would be in Brooklyn.

Brooklyn is looking to claim its first title in FOOL history, while Compton is trying to be the first west coast team to win a FOOL Classic and GM Dark Cloud would be the first FOOL manager to lead two teams to a title.

With all of that out of the way, let's get started!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #161
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 1
Brooklyn 3, Compton 2
Bob Brown went 2 for 3 with a home run and an RBI, going long in the top of the 8th to allow the 'Stones to draw first blood in the 1969 Classic. Compton's Joe Morris went 8 strong, giving up 3 earned and striking out 2 on 5 hits.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #162
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 2
Brooklyn 8, Compton 6 (10 innings)
Brooklyn pounded out 16 hits in the victory. Compton's Mel Brooks went 2 for 3 with 2 home runs and 2 RBI in the loss. Rich Lang went 3 for 4 for Brooklyn with a double and an RBI to put the Brownstones up 2-0 in the series.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #163
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 3
Compton 8, Brooklyn 3
Compton got on the board in the Classic, behind the pitching of Tom Williams, who went 7 innings, giving up 1 earned and six hits, with no walks. Mel Brooks had another strong day, going 3 for 5 with a triple and 2 RBI in the win.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #164
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 4
Compton 3, Brooklyn 0
The road team again reigns supreme, as the Brothers tied the series at 2-2, behind the pitching of Pete McKeane, who went eight strong, giving up no earned runs and 4 hits in the win. Brooklyn's Joel Nelson was strong, despite giving up 3 runs, he struck out 8 in the complete game loss.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #165
muns
Pro Starter

and the comeback starts

We have had some pretty damn good Fool Classics
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #166
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 5
Brooklyn 5, Compton 4 (10 innings)
Walt Withecombe got his second win of the postseason, as Ambrosi Cocciarella went 2 for 5 with 3 RBI in the Brownstones win, to go up 3 games to 2 as the Classic heads back to Compton on Monday. Ogai Yamazaki went 2 for 4 with a double and 2 RBI in the loss for Compton.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #167
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 6
Brooklyn 10, Compton 5
Bob Brown went 4 for 5 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI in the win, putting the 'Stones just one win away from a title. Compton arch nemesis Nathan Adams went 2 for 4 with a double, a home run and 2 RBI in the win.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #168
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 7
Compton 10, Brooklyn 2
Not quite satisfied to end the series just yet, the Brothers offense gave starter Tom Williams more than enough run support to work with, as he threw a complete game striking out seven and walkiing two. Larry Hobbs went 3 for 4 with a double, a home run and 2 RBI in the victory for the Brothers, as the series heads back to Brooklyn for what might one or two more games.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-03-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #169
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
and the comeback starts

We have had some pretty damn good Fool Classics

Agreed. It's amazing that we haven't seemed to have a dull moment yet. Ever since we 1) went to the league champions only format and 2) decided to make it a best-of-nine game series, it's been amazing, even when they don't go the distance.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #170
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I am surprised I lost two at home like that. I would have assumed if I won it would have been because my 68.8% home winning percentage over the course of the season. GL DC with your comback.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #171
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 8
Compton 4, Brooklyn 2
Annnndd...the comeback is complete. Behind Pete McKeane's 3 hitter over six innings, the Brothers have clawed their way back into the series, forcing a decisive Game 9 tomorrow afternoon in Brooklyn. Elliot Richard went 3 for 4 with a home run and 2 RBI for the Brownstones.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #172
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I am surprised I lost two at home like that. I would have assumed if I won it would have been because my 68.8% home winning percentage over the course of the season. GL DC with your comback.

You and me both. My home winning percentage was .701 this year.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #173
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Agreed. It's amazing that we haven't seemed to have a dull moment yet. Ever since we 1) went to the league champions only format and 2) decided to make it a best-of-nine game series, it's been amazing, even when they don't go the distance.

+1
Old 08-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #174
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That said, before I click "quick sim" I gotta say that I don't really have a history of success in close FOOL Classics. In '61, St. Louis lost 4 games to 3 to Baltimore. We got swept the following year, we swept Worcester the year after that and then beat Charleston 5 games to 2 in the first best-of-nine game Classic. Then we all remember the New York victory that spoiled the St. Louis three-peat attempt, which was a 5-2 loss by us.

In any case, great season either way.

Here goes...
Old 08-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #175
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You and me both. My home winning percentage was .701 this year.

Wow that makes this series all the more amazing. GL to you in your personal quest for your 3rd Fool Championship. Hopefully the last game will be close either way.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #176
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
That said, before I click "quick sim" I gotta say that I don't really have a history of success in close FOOL Classics. In '61, St. Louis lost 4 games to 3 to Baltimore. We got swept the following year, we swept Worcester the year after that and then beat Charleston 5 games to 2 in the first best-of-nine game Classic. Then we all remember the New York victory that spoiled the St. Louis three-peat attempt, which was a 5-2 loss by us.

In any case, great season either way.

Here goes...

ha ha love the post
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #177
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

On another note you could start to see the DH vs. No DH difference in leagues this year. It will be interesting to see the vote at the end of this on what to do with the Classic.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #178
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

GAME 9

Spoiler
Old 08-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #179
muns
Pro Starter

Congrats on the win bud. Hell of a last game! Wow!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #180
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Another great season, series and matchup of evenly matched teams duking it out 'till the end!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #181
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Congrats Brooklyn, way to do us proud! I don't feel that bad finishing 2 games back of a team that was that good. An incredible year and incredible team.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #182
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
GAME 9

Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #183
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

PLAYOFFS SHARES
Brooklyn: $5 million
Compton: $2.5 million
Valdosta & Ann Arbor: $1.25 million

I won't get to add this until tomorrow's file, since I'm uploading the post-championship file right now.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-03-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #184
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is uploading now, it's 51.03 MB (13%)
Old 08-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Congrats, Brooklyn, on your championship and on a great season. Sorry to see you fall short, DC.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #186
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

After skimming over this season's thread earlier I finally found the part about the AI. I would agree with allowing the AI to manage any part of your ball club. I feel this way for the following reasons.
  1. It is impossible to really police. For example I have the AI manage my minor league lineups, depth, and rotations. Something that would be difficult for peole to notice. So everyone should have the options open.
  2. In order to have the Roster Move Promotions/Demotions a team must have it so the AI is allowed to sign minor leaguers. Well I did this in spring training my first season after the first round I didn't sign anyone. That said look at my 1964 seasons payroll. It took me about two years to recover from this mistake and this is a gamble everyone has to take.
  3. I do not see what is wrong with this as everyone has the option.
In the end if someone wants to take a chance I say let them. I mean if I was in a team that was at the bottom why not try and find something out and see if it works for you. I took over one of the worst teams and tried it one post season it was enough for me not to do it again, but results differ for different teams based on settings I think you have setup in the game just ask Mr. Nathan Adams.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #187
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Congrats, Brooklyn, on your championship and on a great season. Sorry to see you fall short, DC.

Thanks.

I'm four years removed from expansion and I didn't expect to get back this soon, so I'm cool with it. Brooklyn has been clawing for years to get to this point and so, it's awesome to see them pull it off, in dramatic fashion no less.

I'm happy to see my team claw back down 5-2 in the series to force a 9th game and I do believe Compton will return.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #188
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, bump the series up to 11 games next year since 9 wasn't enough. Very cool. Congrats Brooklyn, was to keep the Classic title in the CL.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #189
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm four years removed from expansion and I didn't expect to get back this soon, so I'm cool with it. Brooklyn has been clawing for years to get to this point and so, it's awesome to see them pull it off, in dramatic fashion no less.

I'm happy to see my team claw back down 5-2 in the series to force a 9th game and I do believe Compton will return.

I agree Brooklyn has been on the cusp for a few years now. It was nice to see them get over the hump. Ya im sure DC will be back again sooner rather than later

Last edited by muns : 08-03-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #190
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Do you all know anyone who might want to join the league? They wouldn't have to take a crap team, because of my desire to flip Compton to someone else and to have me take over a team that's going to have an opening soon.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-03-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #191
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...everyone assumes that about Compton...just like with me before this year, huh?

Sorry, the RL is just insanely competitive with strong GMs. It's not to say anything bad about the CL, which is also a great league, but there seems to very much be a oneupmanship in the RL, with Compton, Colorado, Boston and Ann Arbor in particular fighting ugly battles to the end.

I think it is entirely likely that Compton will be at .500 like I was this year next year (and remember, I didn't just win the RL last year, I blew it out of the water). It's also likely they are the champs again.

What I have decided is that predictions of the RL and terms like "likely" are about worth as much as the electrical power needed to project them on my monitor screen.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #192
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Heh...everyone assumes that about Compton...just like with me before this year, huh?

Sorry, the RL is just insanely competitive with strong GMs. It's not to say anything bad about the CL, which is also a great league, but there seems to very much be a oneupmanship in the RL, with Compton, Colorado, Boston and Ann Arbor in particular fighting ugly battles to the end.

I think it is entirely likely that Compton will be at .500 like I was this year next year (and remember, I didn't just win the RL last year, I blew it out of the water). It's also likely they are the champs again.

What I have decided is that predictions of the RL and terms like "likely" are about worth as much as the electrical power needed to project them on my monitor screen.

Let's see. The CL currently boasts GMs in Rio Grande, New York and now Brooklyn who have rings. In the RL, it's me, Colorado and Ann Arbor.

So really, the next new owner to capture a ring would be the tiebreaker. But I agree 100%, the RL is super competitive because the owners there seem to make big moves. I mean, Hartford is insane, Boston is on the rise and those two teams haven't even bothered to win the league yet. But they've been lurking in the shadows for the while. There isn't a such thing as an "easy win" in the RL.

The CL is on the rise, though. Atlanta is just going to keep getting better, Toronto has a ton of young talent and is just a few players away. Baltimore has a GM that isn't afraid to make a deal either.

The thing that's most fun about this league and I never anticipated this, is the parity. I mean, look at Boston. They win more games each of the past 3 years and finish lower in the standings. Then you have surprise teams like Ann Arbor that get it together at the right time and make big things happen.

Compton was a surprise team this year. So...I think on any given weekend, any team could theoretically make something happen. It's what keeps things interesting.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #193
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

League file is up!

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-03-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #194
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Do you all know anyone who might want to join the league? They wouldn't have to take a crap team, because of my desire to flip Compton to someone else and to have me take over a team that's going to have an opening soon.

man have we had a gm opening every season in the past 3 or 4 seasons??? kinda crappy

Last edited by muns : 08-03-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #195
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think you could actually say the same thing about the top teams in the CL also Chief. Look at how far last season's champs fell off in the CL this year, plus the top three teams in the CL this season all had over 90 wins. I actually fear that it will be very likely that another 2-3 years will go by, my core of my team will have aged past its prime, and I still won't be able to get beyond 2nd place because of the tough talent in the CL. (if you want to see how close but no cigar I felt this season was, take a look at the power ratings and check out the Pythagoram (spelling) expected records).

Old 08-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #196
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
man have we had a gm opening every season in the past 3 or 4 seasons??? kinda crappy

Well I'd prefer one a year, versus 5 or 6 or having teams that have to be AI run. And it's more like, this league works best when the teams are actually being run by somebody. A year or so of not having an owner is okay once an infrastructure is in place, but after a while, it can really degrade the quality of the play. So I tend to try to push those owners out for those who'll actually play, unless they let me know ahead of time that they'll be out of pocket, but still wanna play.

In this instance, I would give up Compton and move to Chicago to take over that ballclub. That team has been bad for a long time, dating back to the old days of FOOL. As fun as it would be to attempt to make it back to the Classic and get Compton a title, my goals have been surpassed with the team making it this far and well, things run smoother when I'm losing.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #197
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I think you could actually say the same thing about the top teams in the CL also Chief. Look at how far last season's champs fell off in the CL this year, plus the top three teams in the CL this season all had over 90 wins. I actually fear that it will be very likely that another 2-3 years will go by, my core of my team will have aged past its prime, and I still won't be able to get beyond 2nd place because of the tough talent in the CL. (if you want to see how close but no cigar I felt this season was, take a look at the power ratings and check out the Pythagoram (spelling) expected records).

I don't know, it just seems like the CL GMs run more steady, not as many big moves. It's not that it's less or that they are even doing something worse (fact is, if they have to make less big moves, they are actually a doing a better job year to year of managing their rosters), but the RL GMs are always making a splash. And I didn't mention muns and Hartford in my list either--they're right there with the RL teams/GMs I did mention.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #198
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well I'd prefer one a year, versus 5 or 6 or having teams that have to be AI run. And it's more like, this league works best when the teams are actually being run by somebody. A year or so of not having an owner is okay once an infrastructure is in place, but after a while, it can really degrade the quality of the play. So I tend to try to push those owners out for those who'll actually play, unless they let me know ahead of time that they'll be out of pocket, but still wanna play.

In this instance, I would give up Compton and move to Chicago to take over that ballclub. That team has been bad for a long time, dating back to the old days of FOOL. As fun as it would be to attempt to make it back to the Classic and get Compton a title, my goals have been surpassed with the team making it this far and well, things run smoother when I'm losing.

LOL thanks for the laugh DC But I get what your saying. You would be the 3rd GM for Chicago since we started it back up right?

Last edited by muns : 08-03-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #199
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Some interesting notes on the season and the difference between the RL and CL...

Valdosta easily had the best batting average in the league (.291) and tied with Ann Arbor for the best OBP (.359) despite being without the DH. Where the hitting broke down for Valdosta was with the slugging percentage, Valdosta's .429 still led the CL, but all but two teams in the RL topped that number including the league leader Compton (.490). That also caused Valdosta's CL leading OPS (.788) to be lower than all of the RL teams but two as well.

Pitching wise, the reverse was true where Valdosta's pitchers led the league with an opponent batting average of .237, with Brooklyn right behind (.240) whereas the lowest Oavg in the RL was Ann Arbor at .259.

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that I also led the league in Fielding percentage of .989... so that leaves me without any real good direction of where to go to improve my team. I feel like my Braves teams of the 90s.. a very talented team that just didn't put it together really almost ever.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #200
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
LOL thanks for the laugh DC But I get what your saying. You would be the 3rd GM for Chicago since we started it back up right?

Yeah, the 3rd one. And I'm likely to move them elsewhere.