Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1970 Off-season Thread (Pre-season/Draft Pool File is up!)

Chicago's new owner is JimmyOOTP. That's his user name, anyway. Welcome him to the league.

Offseason begins tonight! The 10th season of FOOL is on its way!!!

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-06-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Also, I'm giving up Compton and I'm going to move to full-time commish duties. Effective immediately.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
muns
Pro Starter

Welcome to the league. Good luck turning that ship around!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Also, I'm giving up Compton and I'm going to move to full-time commish duties. Effective immediately.

I think that will end up being a good decision for you. I think you'll enjoy the league alot more from that perspective. I can tell that you have been having alot of fun with the various things that you have been running with such as the Hall of fame, the various banners, etc.

I think this will free you up more to do those type of things now, and it also helps give a completely impartial person to solve any issues that can come up from a fast paced league like this as well.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So who is running Compton now then?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I think that will end up being a good decision for you. I think you'll enjoy the league alot more from that perspective. I can tell that you have been having alot of fun with the various things that you have been running with such as the Hall of fame, the various banners, etc.

I think this will free you up more to do those type of things now, and it also helps give a completely impartial person to solve any issues that can come up from a fast paced league like this as well.

I hope its because he "WANTS" to give it up. With his previous posts about trying it again one more time with Compton it didnt seem like 2 hours ago he really wanted to do that.

I for one do not want to see DC not have a team, but im waiting for him to say why before i speak further.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So who is running Compton now then?

No one. The AI? The team will be rudderless and I won't let the AI take over, because it'll just slay you all signing players and going crazy. So the team goes on autopilot and self-destructs. Or something.

It'll be like when any other owner leaves and there isn't an owner to take their place...it hasn't happened in about seven seasons here, but...now is as good a time as any.

Privately, I tried to find someone to take the team for the past two days, saying they could have Compton and I'd take Chicago. But no one materialized until tonight and when he did, I just gave him Chicago since I'd decided to stay in Compton. But...in the end, I feel like it's better if I do this. I don't suspect it'll take long to find an owner for a team coming off a league title and still with a very good core.

But in the end, this is better for the league, as I'd prefer not to lose the league, because it's going well and the concept is working way better than I anticipated it could.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If he wants to run Compton (and I think he does), and we don't have an owner ready to run it, I think he should run it. I think DC is happier when he's running a team, and he has every right to enjoying the league experience to as full an extent as he wants (maybe even more than most; after all, this is his baby).

All that said, I think in the long run, every league is best when run by a commissioner who is not in the league. That comes from experiencing leagues with both. The difficulty is that it's tough to find a commish who's happy with just being a commish.

DC should do what makes himself happy, though, IMO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No one. The AI? The team will be rudderless and I won't let the AI take over, because it'll just slay you all signing players and going crazy. So the team goes on autopilot and self-destructs. Or something.

It'll be like when any other owner leaves and there isn't an owner to take their place...it hasn't happened in about seven seasons here, but...now is as good a time as any.

Privately, I tried to find someone to take the team for the past two days, saying they could have Compton and I'd take Chicago. But no one materialized until tonight and when he did, I just gave him Chicago since I'd decided to stay in Compton. But...in the end, I feel like it's better if I do this. I don't suspect it'll take long to find an owner for a team coming off a league title and still with a very good core.

But in the end, this is better for the league, as I'd prefer not to lose the league, because it's going well and the concept is working way better than I anticipated it could.

What about Turner? He responded to your ad in the main baseball forum?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
What about Turner? He responded to your ad in the main baseball forum?

And I wrote him back via PM. He hasn't replied yet. When he does, I'll give him the squad. I've written to anyone whose posted here, on OOTP or anywhere via email or PM when they say they're interested. But as you can imagine, they don't always get back in time or ever. Or sometimes, they write one day and say OMG! I'm interested and then the next day, they write and say "sorry, I'm too busy to play." Or they get here for a season or three and realize the pace doesn't work for them.

But when he does, he can have the squad, of course.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-04-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Getting exports now.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #12
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Hey could i get your team instead if its availible? If not that's cool to but it doesn't hurt to ask. I just think with chicago i won't be doing much as a gm for a while since really they need a few years of picks lol
JimmyOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post
Hey could i get your team instead if its availible? If not that's cool to but it doesn't hurt to ask. I just think with chicago i won't be doing much as a gm for a while since really they need a few years of picks lol

You can get better fast in this league (but not that I blame ya ).

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Sure. I'll switch you in-game to Compton. I'd prefer they were human owned anyway.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-04-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1969 Award winners:

CL MVP: Rich Lang, Brooklyn
2nd place: Nathan Adams, Brooklyn
3rd place: Larry Richmond, Toronto

RL MVP: Mac Rasmussen, Hartford
2nd place: Mel Brooks, Compton
3rd place: Ogai Yamazaki, Compton

CL Pitcher of the Year Award: Walt Withecombe, Brooklyn
2nd Place: Joel Nelson, Brooklyn
3rd Place: Gabriel Prado, Valdosta

RL Pitcher of the Year Award: Aaron Dailey, Compton
2nd Place: Bob Halpin, Compton
3rd Place: Alberto Vargo, Ann Arbor

CL Rookie of the Year Award: Billy Jenkins, New York
2nd Place: Yoshi Abe, Valdosta
3rd Place: Joel Garner, Valdosta

RL Rookie of the Year: Mauro Suarez, El Paso
2nd Place: Gary McDowell, Seattle
3rd Place: Gerald Numbers, Hartford

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-04-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #16
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Quote:
Sure. I'll switch you in-game to Compton. I'd prefer they were human owned anyway.

Sweet ty much.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

[thinking] That means I might take over Chicago [/thinking]
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If you do, you have a trade offer, lol.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #19
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Quote:

You should as it doesn't require much work for the next few seasons lol. But why don't you wanna keep your team?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hah, the AI is on crack.. two closers win the pitcher of the year award.

Prado easily had the most dominant year of any pitcher, but only going 15-7 hurt him. Nelson probably should have won it in the CL for Brooklyn even though he was only like the 4th or 5th most dominating pitcher this year. Guess the AI just decided to punt this year

Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
You should as it doesn't require much work for the next few seasons lol. But why don't you wanna keep your team?

People don't like losing to the Commish.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Just take 'em and be happy with it, before I change my mind.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Prado easily had the most dominant year of any pitcher, but only going 15-7 hurt him. Nelson probably should have won it in the CL for Brooklyn even though he was only like the 4th or 5th most dominating pitcher this year. Guess the AI just decided to punt this year

I was thinking the same thing, but didn't feel like evaluating them myself for awards, so I just let the AI decide.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Not much work. Have you SEEN me work?

Teams don't suck for long under my auspices.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #24
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
1969 Award winners:

CL MVP: Rich Lang, Brooklyn
2nd place: Nathan Adams, Brooklyn
3rd place: Larry Richmond, Toronto

Yea Nathan Adams sure fleeced Compton out of a ton of money before going back to Brooklyn for almost rock bottom.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I agree although Withecombe grabbing it gives me a chance to give props to a longtime former Ranchero and probably the first likely nominee for the Hall.

And it also gives me the opp to ask Brooklyn why on Earth they had Withecombe as their second closer last year, instead of their primary?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The only rule is, you can't move Compton or change their name. I think it was sheer brilliance by yours truly.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #27
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't feel like evaluating them myself for awards, so I just let the AI decide.

Yeah, no offense to Withecombe, but he saved 44 games due to being on an outstanding team more than anything else. He wasn't even Brooklyn's best relief pitcher this year much less their best pitcher, much less the CL's best pitcher.

I could live with Nelson getting it for Brooklyn, going 19-7 with a 2.92 ERA is pretty solid.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
Yea Nathan Adams sure fleeced Compton out of a ton of money before going back to Brooklyn for almost rock bottom.

I know, right? Bastard.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #29
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I agree although Withecombe grabbing it gives me a chance to give props to a longtime former Ranchero and probably the first likely nominee for the Hall.

And it also gives me the opp to ask Brooklyn why on Earth they had Withecombe as their second closer last year, instead of their primary?

I tried doing a two closer setup for two years and it never worked. The second one would always get the saves and the first one would barely pitch. Then this last year with 4 closers on the active roster and two fading I just decided to go with one closer as it was not working the way I had anticipated.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, no offense to Withecombe, but he saved 44 games due to being on an outstanding team more than anything else. He wasn't even Brooklyn's best relief pitcher this year much less their best pitcher, much less the CL's best pitcher.

I could live with Nelson getting it for Brooklyn, going 19-7 with a 2.92 ERA is pretty solid.

Well, he didn't do that bad. Unless you really think a 2.09 ERA is crummy. And I thought my standards for relievers were high!

But, yea, still agree, that should have gone to a starter.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:41 PM   #31
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Jimmy, there was a 3 team trade in the works that id like you to consider, im gonna send it over to ya... actually it was a done deal, but DC up and killled me before the post :P

Last edited by muns : 08-04-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #32
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

I will take care of the team and try to win a championship in memory of DarkCloud
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The only rule is, you can't move Compton or change their name. I think it was sheer brilliance by yours truly.

Agreed. One of my favorite moves.

In a similar move, I long thought of moving to Kansas City and becoming the Monarchs, but I feel I have already established a brand and a presence in Colorado. I think it would be weird to not have the Colorado Rancheros in the RL, otherwise I think I would do it. And honorarily name my manager Buck O'Niell.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Alright. I'm packing the file up now. I'm all in in Chicago. They're moving somewhere, dunno where yet. 9 years of futility in the windy city is enough. I'm tired of them being FOOL's version of the Cubs.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #35
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I think we have to look at Brooklyn and Valdosta pitchers a little different as they play in good pitchers parks. Over the past two years Brooklyn pitchers have had a half a run lower era at home than on the road. That said I would have probably voted for Prado, Gonzalez, Nelson in that order for POY for the CL. I think Prado was absolutely dominant and I would have never expected it.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #36
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, he didn't do that bad. Unless you really think a 2.09 ERA is crummy. And I thought my standards for relievers were high!

But, yea, still agree, that should have gone to a starter.

ERAs are kind of misleading at times for relief pitchers , but no he wasn't bad.. he just wasn't their best two or three pitchers is all this year. His WHIP wasn't that great, his save percentage was fairly ok, but nothing dominating. He had too many losses for a dominant closer, his K rate was down, walk rate was up, etc.

I guess I'm not trying to say he was a bad pitcher, I just think he got the award because of having 44 saves which is due mostly to being on a great team as a solid pitcher.

If you want to talk about Brooklyn's relief pitching, check out Kodo's season. He doesn't have as much heat as their closer, but he didn't really have a mis-step all year. He actually only gave up 2 earned runs all year (even though he didn't make it into a ton of games, only 28 appearances).

As far as their most dominating reliever, I think their setup guy Ball was better this year and their best reliever. He had better numbers (even if only slightly in some cases) then their closer did.. but my main point was that I hate seeing closers win the pitcher of the year unless they simply were super dominating and there was no dominating starting pitcher.. that is all

Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #37
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

SP P.Mckeane is on the block. Im looking for a star 2nd base
Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #38
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
ERAs are kind of misleading at times for relief pitchers , but no he wasn't bad.. he just wasn't their best two or three pitchers is all this year. His WHIP wasn't that great, his save percentage was fairly ok, but nothing dominating. He had too many losses for a dominant closer, his K rate was down, walk rate was up, etc.

I guess I'm not trying to say he was a bad pitcher, I just think he got the award because of having 44 saves which is due mostly to being on a great team as a solid pitcher.

If you want to talk about Brooklyn's relief pitching, check out Kodo's season. He doesn't have as much heat as their closer, but he didn't really have a mis-step all year. He actually only gave up 2 earned runs all year (even though he didn't make it into a ton of games, only 28 appearances).

As far as their most dominating reliever, I think their setup guy Ball was better this year and their best reliever. He had better numbers (even if only slightly in some cases) then their closer did.. but my main point was that I hate seeing closers win the pitcher of the year unless they simply were super dominating and there was no dominating starting pitcher.. that is all

I would agree with this assesment of Withecombe He was more a product of the team than any other player. Plus he blew two games in the Classic.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

You've got Ben Harris from Baltimore. That deal went through, he'll show up when you get the file from tonight. Just FYI.

P.S. You'Re over the cap.

<3 DC

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-04-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #40
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I think we have to look at Brooklyn and Valdosta pitchers a little different as they play in good pitchers parks. Over the past two years Brooklyn pitchers have had a half a run lower era at home than on the road. That said I would have probably voted for Prado, Gonzalez, Nelson in that order for POY for the CL. I think Prado was absolutely dominant and I would have never expected it.

Well to be fair, Prado had a 1.97 ERA on the road, so I'm not sure that home field played a huge part with him. I didn't really mention him a ton in my other posts as I didn't want anyone to think my comments were sour grapes. I definitely do think he should have had some consideration as he had an incredible year.. but it is hard to make a huge case for a 15-7 pitcher is all. (Can't imagine how my team which had the best offense in the CL managed to cause a pitcher with an ERA below 2 to lose 7 games though)...

Mainly my points was more about a closer winning the award than it being about one of my pitchers not winning. I wasn't trying to make it that too much.. I would have been perfectly fine with Nelson winning it. He had a good season 19-7 and a solid ERA for Brooklyn of 2.92

Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #41
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Ohhh k
Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #42
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Didn't Compton just trade for a star 2nd base?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #43
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Kodo did have a great year, although you need to appear in more than 28 games to catch a break here.

Yeah, it's more me trying to at least give my former player a chance to take a bow. He really has been underrated. This is a guy with electric stuff and movement, but almost scary control. If he hadn't have already been dominating before I came into the league, I don't know that I would have even given Withecombe the job, but he was brilliant for me. If it weren't for my depth in the pen and need to spend elsewhere, I would have met Withecombe's $6 M pricetag two years ago.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #44
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Guess i better wait for the file then.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #45
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think you should trade a draft pick for a new one.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

TurnerONU22 has joined FOOL. He's taking over Seattle for the recently departed JetsIn06, who said FOOL was too fast for him. (Understandbly, too.) He'll have to get setup, but...that's where he's headed.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #47
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
TurnerONU22 has joined FOOL. He's taking over Seattle for the recently departed JetsIn06, who said FOOL was too fast for him. (Understandbly, too.) He'll have to get setup, but...that's where he's headed.

Welcome to the league, Turner. The Bluejackets suck!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

League file is up. I think it's about 18 MB or something.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #49
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

whoa 17m over cap nice
Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #50
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
whoa 17m over cap nice

I would help you out, but I am at the cap myself.