Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1970 Season Thread (End of season file up!)

And away we go...

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-08-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think I am going to make a daring change to my team strategy in games for this season. This could potentially be the difference of winning 3-4 more games this year or losing an extra 10! I have a particular strategy and team model that I usually like to play with, but due to the fast pace of FOOL and no chance to modify it as the season goes on I have been hesitant here.

My team kind of resembles what I would like, so guess no time like the present... Lets hope this doesn't cause me to plummet in the standings!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 PM   #3
muns
Pro Starter

I once again have to release a crap ton of guys......Gotta make room for the upcoming spects and the decent guys that are 27 are getting released
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I once again have to release a crap ton of guys......Gotta make room for the upcoming spects and the decent guys that are 27 are getting released

Makes an interesting thought pop into my head.. When do most people do their Minor league spring cleaning in this league? I actually run through the system after the season is over and move guys around based on how much they progress then so I can get a better feel for what I have ready for the majors, what is about ready and what I am missing. I don't cut anyone at that time however.

Then the sim before spring training is when I go back through again and make sure the players are where I want them for the season. It is that time that I cut all of the players that just don't look like they will ever become anything except wasted space.

Finally after the draft I run through one more time and make final adjustments for where some players will spend the year, I bring down people who don't make the major league cut back to AAA and then I put the majority of the rest of my drafted players into rookie ball at that time.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Makes an interesting thought pop into my head.. When do most people do their Minor league spring cleaning in this league? I actually run through the system after the season is over and move guys around based on how much they progress then so I can get a better feel for what I have ready for the majors, what is about ready and what I am missing. I don't cut anyone at that time however.

Then the sim before spring training is when I go back through again and make sure the players are where I want them for the season. It is that time that I cut all of the players that just don't look like they will ever become anything except wasted space.

Finally after the draft I run through one more time and make final adjustments for where some players will spend the year, I bring down people who don't make the major league cut back to AAA and then I put the majority of the rest of my drafted players into rookie ball at that time.

I do mine after the draft.... Im not cutting guys till i see who all is finally in my system for the year and compare them that way
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I try to keep my system slim enough to where I don't really have a lot of dead weight. I will this year in QC, but...as time goes on, we'll get it together to where that's not as much of an issue.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am on constant watch in my minor leagues for where players are and how strong I am organizationally at any given position.

That said, I rarely do any cutting or moving around until the sim after the draft. Much like muns, I usually have players to cut, and I want to know what all I got before I start making cuts.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

We have minor leagues?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I did some testing today with a mirror league that uses the same settings as FOOL and I found that I could get the game to generate about 78 prospects or something like 4 1/2 rounds of worthwhile players to draft each year. Seems like that's the "sweet spot" we were looking for.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Tellistto
College Prospect

I don't mine lots of future talents that need to develop to make the majors. Just those uber already developed kids give me nightmares.

On with the season!

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Gotta tell you all before we get started, that it's been a great 10 seasons. I had no idea this fleeting idea that I concocted one afternoon in daychat would end up being a viable league, much less one with actual people in it. We're coming into our own and I feel like the future is bright for FOOL. And it's a testament to you all that it's interesting to do this and not some solo journey or fleeting effort with 3 people.

So thanks for your participation and enthusiasm.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Time for another weekly FOOL tradition: Chief Rum asking for more time to finish his rosters.

Man, every year, I cut a bunch of players. You would think I would reach some sort of balance by now.

Fortunately, this shouldn't take so long (maybe 30 mins over). I am close to set now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Time for another weekly FOOL tradition: Chief Rum asking for more time to finish his rosters.

Man, every year, I cut a bunch of players. You would think I would reach some sort of balance by now.

Fortunately, this shouldn't take so long (maybe 30 mins over). I am close to set now.

I was waiting for this, honestly.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:57 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I was waiting for this, honestly.

Bad news. I can't freakin' believe this.

The game just crashed. Everything I have worked on for the past two hours is gone.

If Markus ends up dead in some mysterious mishap, please direct police my way.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bad news. I can't freakin' believe this.

The game just crashed. Everything I have worked on for the past two hours is gone.

If Markus ends up dead in some mysterious mishap, please direct police my way.

Probably a little late to help now, but one thing I started doing on sims where I am making a bunch of changes is save things in phases. For instance on the sims when I am moving a ton of people around in the minors, I'll usually move them around, then export my team file to the server, then go on and do more stuff... Worst case if you crash, you can import your team from the ftp server and continue where you left off at last export..

I know it doesn't help now though, but perhaps useful for future situations.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Probably a little late to help now, but one thing I started doing on sims where I am making a bunch of changes is save things in phases. For instance on the sims when I am moving a ton of people around in the minors, I'll usually move them around, then export my team file to the server, then go on and do more stuff... Worst case if you crash, you can import your team from the ftp server and continue where you left off at last export..

+1
Old 08-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, I have done that in the past. Weird thing is, though, I didn't experience the CTD issues others did. After a while of doing something for fear of the worst, and yet the worst never happens, you get a little less diligent. So it picks now to do it. There are times when despise isn't even a strong enough word to describe this. This is one of those times.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, good news is that I did save it after setting the major league lineups, which was a good deal of the work. But I moving all the minor leaguers around. Tedious...

I'll get on it right now.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All right, I caught up to the crash point, and I am saved. Just setting lineups and we're set.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Woo..gametime!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:36 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Woo..gametime!

Well, setting lineups is still taking time. But I'm a lot closer than I was. Maybe another 30 mins. It will get easier after I pass Double AA. It's AAA and AA that's tough (almost done with AAA).

Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Okay, good news is that I did save it after setting the major league lineups, which was a good deal of the work. But I moving all the minor leaguers around. Tedious...

I'll get on it right now.

Quote:
Well, setting lineups is still taking time. But I'm a lot closer than I was. Maybe another 30 mins. It will get easier after I pass Double AA. It's AAA and AA that's tough (almost done with AAA).

Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #23
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

There gonna be an updated file tonight? Just got home from work and was wondering
JimmyOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #24
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post
There gonna be an updated file tonight? Just got home from work and was wondering

DC might put up a file at some point tonight, but no exports from people until sunday night.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post

Hey Jimmy.

Good luck in your first FOOL season.

How this works is, after tonight's exports I start simming the season. It usually depends on my schedule and how much I wanna drag it out. But usually, I do a part of the season then we just sorta wait and agonize until the next day when I simulate it all. Then after the results are posted, I upload an entire file for everyone, the FOOL classic teams prepare for the FOOL Classic on Sunday night and then we sim the playoffs that night. (Sunday) You can also offer extensions during that time and make trades since the regular season is over.

Umm...sometimes, I do upload a file during the season, so you can tune in and see how your team is doing, but we don't allow exports during the season, as the idea is the season is an "endurance test". That's why injuries are off and we only use position player fatigue.

The idea is, roughly, who can put together the best 25-man roster under the salary cap each year and without tinkering, have that team go from opening day to the league pennant without an assist, deadline deal or anything.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #26
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Sounds good i can't wait to get started. Gl to all of you.
JimmyOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

As the CL seeks its third straight championship, consider that no league has ever won three in a row.

Another interesting fact is, since the demise of the St. Louis Terriers, there has been a different champion each season in FOOL. (New York, Colorado, Rio Grande, Brooklyn since '64) Needless to say, I think that shutting down that operation saved this league.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-08-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #28
Tellistto
College Prospect

Hmm, didn't we in New York beat that St. Louis team for that Classic trophy?

Tell
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #29
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Patrick Perkins, Fernando Spindola and Dave Myers are the only 3 players above 250 HRs for their career. Who'll be the first to get 300? Perkins is at 272, but he isn't signed to a deal to play anywhere yet, meaning he'll undoubtedly get fewer at-bats this year if he does get signed to start the year.

Perkins and Myers both hit 21 HRs last year, Spindola hit 19. So...depending on how the year goes, it might take two years to see FOOL's first 300 home run man.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Hmm, didn't we in New York beat that St. Louis team for that Classic trophy?

Tell

1965, kind sir.

I forgot they were around in '65. But yes, the decision to kill them had already been made tho. They were dejected and couldn't contain themselves. Of course you beat them, they were wounded.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-08-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That team didn't exactly boast of much offense, their pitching got them where they were and would've held them together. The team leader in home runs that year was Bruce McDaniel who hit 17. So if that tells you anything.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #32
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That team didn't exactly boast of much offense, their pitching got them where they were and would've held them together. The team leader in home runs that year was Bruce McDaniel who hit 17. So if that tells you anything.

That they were a powerhouse compared to my team last year?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Was tonight's sim done yet? I don't remember if I exported with lineups set and all that.
graygoose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoose12 View Post
Was tonight's sim done yet? I don't remember if I exported with lineups set and all that.

Go ahead and export again. You've got time, we're still waiting for Chief.

I did look though and it looks like your lineups are all set to me. And you have 25 players, so...you must've done something.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-08-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #35
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoose12 View Post

Sorry, exports were closed for CL teams an hour ago. Only RL teams can export still!

just kidding

Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Sorry, exports were closed for CL teams an hour ago. Only RL teams can export still!

just kidding

Well it's harder to do our lineups. We have the DH.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Just Short Season and Rookie left, and I have like 10 players on each of those rosters. Should be up in 5 mins!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Just Short Season and Rookie left, and I have like 10 players on each of those rosters. Should be up in 5 mins!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #39
Tellistto
College Prospect

I am hoping to see a bounce back season from Spindola this time around. He lost his cleanup slot to Lopez though, and his one season int he #3 was the disastrous one. I felt that I need to make sure that someone was getting the job done at cleanup, and I put Spindola at #5 just in case he bounces back.

I also resigned him...775k per for two. I hope he's not done, that would seriously suck.

Tell
Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I decided to visit the FOOL merchandise outlet store here in the Quad Cities, since Chief agreed to watch opening day with me on TV. But he's not here yet, so I had some time to kill.

Here are a few of the new look jerseys that three teams decided to unveil this year (i.e. while I was waiting...)

(Atlanta 3rd jersey)

(Baltimore home)

(Colorado home)
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #41
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

All too new ageish for my tastes. I like the old style look for Valdosta, and ponder if perhaps next year we should unveil a new look grey and yellow to honor the start of the franchise in Gary

Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
All too new ageish for my tastes. I like the old style look for Valdosta, and ponder if perhaps next year we should unveil a new look grey and yellow to honor the start of the franchise in Gary

+1

This would be awesome.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-08-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #43
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And we're off! All uploaded.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #44
Tellistto
College Prospect

That took way too long, Chief. Just thought I'd tell ya that.

Tell
Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

How does New York feel about this.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #46
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And we're off! All uploaded.

Lets do it!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #47
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And we're off...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #48
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
How does New York feel about this.

Mm, it's not bad I suppose. Not sure I like having the C in the symbol but don't think an H would go well in that design. Other than that, I don't mind it too much, though I did kind of like that black uniform shirt I had last season.

Tell
Old 08-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

MAY 1, 1970 STANDINGS
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Valdosta Peanuts 20 10 .667 - Atlanta Firecrackers 19 11 .633 1.0 Rio Grande Roadrunners 18 13 .581 2.5 Toronto Atlantics 18 14 .563 3.0 Brooklyn Brownstones 16 14 .533 4.0 Baltimore Terrapins 15 15 .500 5.0 New York Highlanders 11 21 .344 10.0 Texas Copperheads 6 25 .194 14.5 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Compton Brothers 21 11 .656 - Ann Arbor Wolverines 20 11 .645 .5 Seattle Armada 16 14 .533 4.0 Hartford Harpooners 15 15 .500 5.0 Quad City Thunderstorms 15 17 .469 6.0 Boston Settlers 13 17 .433 7.0 Colorado Rancheros 13 18 .419 7.5 El Paso Alligators 10 20 .333 10.0
Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Mm, it's not bad I suppose. Not sure I like having the C in the symbol but don't think an H would go well in that design. Other than that, I don't mind it too much, though I did kind of like that black uniform shirt I had last season.

Tell

We'll call it a tribute and go back to that next year.