Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #201
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Canada
USA
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Japan
Mexico
Puerto Rico

We'd need an 8th country and none of the candidates out there really meet the smell test. I say we draft an 8th country, some unlikely place that doesn't really dominate baseball right now, but that we think should, create a bunch of VL players for them and have them join our lil' baseball frenzy, a la South Africa did in the WBC in real life.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #202
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Who is the premier Aruban player in FOOL?
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #203
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The US might have too many good players actually. It might be more exciting to run a WBC in the form of the Little League. We'll set out regions of the US like they do for the LLWS, and have the players born in those regions play for those teams. Like a Pacific, Midwest, South, Atlantic sorta deal.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #204
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Exports time.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #205
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am going over the player nationalities right now. I was thinking it would be neat if we could stage our own WBC sometime.

Whats that Chief?
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #206
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
To be fair I had him for three years, so I have looked at this more than anyone else.

Australian I would say Lang

You are correct again. You're some nationality aficianado, I see.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #207
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Whats that Chief?

World Baseball Classic.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #208
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The US might have too many good players actually. It might be more exciting to run a WBC in the form of the Little League. We'll set out regions of the US like they do for the LLWS, and have the players born in those regions play for those teams. Like a Pacific, Midwest, South, Atlantic sorta deal.

Yeah, it seems way too heavy weighted on the US side

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #209
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Who is the premier Aruban player in FOOL?

Damn, I just looked at Aruba. I thought no one came up, though.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #210
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
You are correct again. You're some nationality aficianado, I see.

No you are just using Brownstone players. I hope I would be able to identify their nationality. That is why I asked the Aruban one.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #211
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I just checked. That's right, forgot that. Yup, pretty good player there from Aruba.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #212
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I've created a stat here called the Right Track Index (RTI). RTI takes a team's VOCL over a three year period, weighting the most recent year higher, the next year less and the 3rd year less than that (55-30-15) to evaluate whether a team is on the 'right track' or not. The higher the number, the more 'on track' they are.

Our numbers are skewed in the sense that Valdosta has won three titles in a row and are clearly a juggernaut for the ages.

But that said...

Here's the numbers:

Code:
Team RTI Valdosta Peanuts 667.2 Colorado Rancheros 90.7 Boston Settlers -114.6 Brooklyn Brownstones 66.7 Rio Grande Roadrunners 66.3 Atlanta Firecrackers -33.5 Quad City Thunderstorms -342.7 Compton Brothers -23.1 Ann Arbor Wolverines -95.0 Baltimore Terrapins -440.7 Toronto Atlantics -564.9 New York Highlanders -557.2 Hartford Harpooners -731.7 El Paso Alligators -721.9 Columbus Crusaders -727.4 Texas Copperheads -901.0

RTI tells us that at the end of 1972, Valdosta is clearly on a track all their own. This measure would be coupled with a RTI Chg that would reflect from year to year how much a team gained or lost in RTI, to really be able to track their performance over a particular period of time.

For me personally, it tells me that even though I know my team is getting out of a crazy situation, having just had our first two winning seasons in franchise history in the last two years, that we've still got a lot of work to do to be amongst the contenders like Colorado, Rio Grande, Brooklyn and Valdosta, all teams that have won titles in recent years.

Again, awesome work guys. Love reading this stuff!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #213
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Trades processed now.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #214
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
World Baseball Classic.

DUHH!!! lol I thought it was some other game you played somewhere else. Like the werewolf stuff you run.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #215
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
DUHH!!! lol I thought it was some other game you played somewhere else. Like the werewolf stuff you run.

Chief is a werewolf?? I knew something was off about that guy.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 PM   #216
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

No one's saying, so I'll throw it out there. It is Anibal Ramirez.

Here's another one: Who is the best premier Dutch player in FOOL?

Here's a hint: he's a recent POY winner.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #217
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Man I was just looking at the nationalities of players. Man Jamaica only only has one player, but what a player that will be a FA next year. 2B Anthony Payton of the Pirates who's potential is 99/99/84/87/72 and he is already close to max in all of those areas.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 PM   #218
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ivan Garcia signed a 5-year deal worth $27.1 million with New York
Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #219
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Nice price cut for New York saving $2.5 million per year.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #220
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

RF Roy Richardson signed a 2-year deal worth $4.75 million with Colorado.

SP Roger Moore signed a 3-year deal worth $7.5 million

CF Ruben Mendoza signed a 3-year deal worth $26.79 million with Columbus
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #221
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Nice to see the AI not going with what he wanted. He wanted a 5-year deal worth 39,175,00
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #222
muns
Pro Starter

Chief real nice signing, I was wondering if anyone bothered to look that deep into the file...... Thought i might get him on the cheap. KUDOS to you!!! He was on like the 17 or 18th page.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #223
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Joey Higman signed a 1-year deal worth $17.94 million with Baltimore
Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #224
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

WOW!!! congrats Eric.... im gonna be real interested to see what he wants to resign now.... Please do let us know.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #225
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Great, he goes to the team I despise the most in the CL.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #226
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Chief real nice signing, I was wondering if anyone bothered to look that deep into the file...... Thought i might get him on the cheap. KUDOS to you!!! He was on like the 17 or 18th page.

Thanks. I couldn't pass up a guy with strong ratings like that who was asking for so little. He gives me a leadoff hitter to replace Garcia, who signed for much, much more. Only downer is he isn't a good CF (but he might end up there anyway).

Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #227
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

MR Walt Withcombe signed a 2-yeal deal with Columbus for $8.5 million
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #228
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

CL Anthony Zijm signed a 3-year deal worth $21 million with Toronto
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #229
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

anyone come close to that offer??? I only went to like 10.5 for 5 years, with the mvp incentive it was like 12 mil......
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #230
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Digging the Higman to Baltimore move. One year deal, too. I wonder what he was offered by other teams?

Baltimore and Atlanta making a lot of noise, Valdosta is still dangerous and tons of high talent teams in the CL like Brooklyn and Rio Grande still out there.

The CL is going to be a very interesting league to watch. Reminds me of the RL 4-5 years ago, when Compton, Colorado, Ann Arbor, Boston and Hartford all looked like top notch title contenders.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #231
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
anyone come close to that offer??? I only went to like 10.5 for 5 years, with the mvp incentive it was like 12 mil......

You should have offered much more. He is worth taking up a 1/4 of your cap, at his age.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:27 PM   #232
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks. I couldn't pass up a guy with strong ratings like that who was asking for so little. He gives me a leadoff hitter to replace Garcia, who signed for much, much more. Only downer is he isn't a good CF (but he might end up there anyway).

I cant blame you one bit. Thats a huge steal for you that def improves you. Im surprised he got released in the last file.....
Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM   #233
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I offered him a 4 year deal for $11 million with up to $17 million in incentives.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #234
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
You should have offered much more. He is worth taking up a 1/4 of your cap, at his age.

I thought about going with an offer of 18 which when I did the math I didnt think anyone could touch. I then looked at my spects and saw that 1b-Walter Little who is 21 might develop in 2 years with a lot better power numbers..... I then thought even with Higman at what 25-26 then, I still might have trouble getting what I thought he would be worth and thought better of my offer.

Im hoping in 2-4 years my guys will all be ready, and then I can spend the 18 mil or whatever on a guy that would help me win that year.

Even with Higman I wouldnt be able to touch you and the rest of the RL.... So to me It wasnt worth the risk of spending that much money

Last edited by muns : 08-27-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:32 PM   #235
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm packing up the file now.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #236
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

This year will definitely be fun in the CL!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #237
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No one's saying, so I'll throw it out there. It is Anibal Ramirez.

Here's another one: Who is the best premier Dutch player in FOOL?

Here's a hint: he's a recent POY winner.

Since no one is guessing it is Ite Beans.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #238
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Canada
USA
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Japan
Mexico
Puerto Rico

We'd need an 8th country and none of the candidates out there really meet the smell test. I say we draft an 8th country, some unlikely place that doesn't really dominate baseball right now, but that we think should, create a bunch of VL players for them and have them join our lil' baseball frenzy, a la South Africa did in the WBC in real life.

Both Puerto Rico and the Dominican got screwed, as well as China, Taiwan, South Korea and Venezuela. Is there a way to amp up the nationalities in some of these areas?

Might be better to go with four or even eight American teams, then have the nations that can carry themselves (Cuba, Japan, Canada), then have a Carribean team (Puerto Rico, Dominican, etc.), a Central American team (Mexico and Central America) and a South American team. Maybe a Europe team or an Asia team. That would be six to eight non-American teams. Maybe create eight American teams then. Have four divisions of four teams that play round robin.

Best two in each group advance to next round, where they play round robin again. Best two on each side of the bracket play each other in a best-of-three series to go to the final. One big Final for all the moolah.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #239
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Since no one is guessing it is Ite Beans.

Yup, you got it. Obviously, I knew that one.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #240
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I cant blame you one bit. Thats a huge steal for you that def improves you. Im surprised he got released in the last file.....

He was released in the last file? Had no idea. I only went looking in hios direction because the younger guys I went for signed elsewhere (deservedly for more money). Heck, I think I had a filter on to take out the older players, so I wouldn't have seen him anyway.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #241
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought about going with an offer of 18 which when I did the math I didnt think anyone could touch. I then looked at my spects and saw that 1b-Walter Little who is 21 might develop in 2 years with a lot better power numbers..... I then thought even with Higman at what 25-26 then, I still might have trouble getting what I thought he would be worth and thought better of my offer.

Im hoping in 2-4 years my guys will all be ready, and then I can spend the 18 mil or whatever on a guy that would help me win that year.

Even with Higman I wouldnt be able to touch you and the rest of the RL.... So to me It wasnt worth the risk of spending that much money

Yeah, I could see that. Although even with Little, you're in the right league to have two 1B-men.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #242
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
He was released in the last file? Had no idea. I only went looking in hios direction because the younger guys I went for signed elsewhere (deservedly for more money). Heck, I think I had a filter on to take out the older players, so I wouldn't have seen him anyway.

Im just assuming he was, cause I didnt see him in the first FA stage, and I go through and through it...... maybe i just missed him, but I def dont remember seeing him cause I would have made an offer on him then too.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 PM   #243
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Both Puerto Rico and the Dominican got screwed, as well as China, Taiwan, South Korea and Venezuela. Is there a way to amp up the nationalities in some of these areas?

I've increased the foreigner percentage by a lot, so we should see an increase going forward. It's at 25% now. I can also rig the draft files to have more foreigners in them going forward, too. It'll mean I'll have to create them, but still...it's an idea.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-27-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 PM   #244
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I could see that. Although even with Little, you're in the right league to have two 1B-men.

Your right, and to be perfectly honest with you, that thought didnt even cross my stinking mind....

Ahhh well thats 2 lessons learned for me in 2 nights.... I biffed up on an trade last night that im regretting, so might as well add this one to the mix as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #245
muns
Pro Starter

Id like to trade one more guy. OF/DH/ Rookie of the year last season Freddie Gonzalez can be had..... Would be a nice piece to add in the RL

Last edited by muns : 08-27-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #246
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up, sorry.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #247
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
File is up, sorry.

Hey, cool! I'm tied for first place!

*enjoying it while it lasts*
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #248
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's the cap story:

Rank Team Payroll
1 Compton Brothers $68,242,530
2 Baltimore Terrapins $67,920,350
3 Columbus Crusaders $64,999,900
4 Colorado Rancheros $64,710,625
5 Atlanta Firecrackers $64,625,530
6 El Paso Alligators $62,856,500
7 Boston Settlers $62,842,180
8 Rio Grande Roadrunners $60,068,900
9 Valdosta Peanuts $58,913,850
10 Brooklyn Brownstones $57,485,750
11 Quad City Thunderstorms $56,719,600
12 New York Highlanders $56,521,330
13 Ann Arbor Wolverines $49,466,440
14 Texas Copperheads $44,443,200
15 Hartford Harpooners $43,175,200
16 Toronto Atlantics $42,200,220
Old 08-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #249
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Hey, cool! I'm tied for first place!

*enjoying it while it lasts*

Actually, I liked a lot of your moves. And technically, Toronto was middle of the pack last year in the CL. There is more optimism now for Toronto than two years ago when DDD left, that is for sure.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #250
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am probably inclined to move Alvarado for relatively cheap now, if anyone is so inclined. I could use a little more breathing room below the cap, and Alvarado is in his walk year anyway. I already have two fine catchers to play, so he is surplus to requirements.