Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1974 Season Thread (Season File is up!)

The Opening Day file is up!

Season 14 is tomorrow!

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Spring training doesn't actually concern me this year as I went back to the days of several scrubs/minor leagues in the lineup/rotation. I wait to see how that worked out. I also set up a list for the first 3 rounds of the draft so I look forward to that as I liked how that worked out last time.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hmm...I don't even know where to start. I'll work on my team preview and go from there. This is gonna be a real barn burner of a year. I think it'll be even better than last year and that's saying a lot, considering we had a tie for the RL title.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Hmm...I don't even know where to start. I'll work on my team preview and go from there. This is gonna be a real barn burner of a year. I think it'll be even better than last year and that's saying a lot, considering we had a tie for the RL title.

My team has even more holes than last year. I have the same holes as last year, but this year add to the picture a hole where I have no defensive substitute at middle infield, and I have a poor backup catcher as well. I tried to talk to a few people about getting a defensive backup, but in most cases people were wanting 4 or 5 star prospects for .250 hitters which just doesn't make sense to me. I'm also concerned about the aging of Inman and Pagan entering the mix. Both have good ratings, and have been the heart of my lineup for longer than most of the owners have been in this league, but that will end some day.

On the good side, I feel good about my starting pitching still.. my 5th starter from last season George Crawford went 18-9 and I thought he pitched over his head and pondered trying to trade him in the offseason. I decided not to and he continued to have a 1.80 ERA this spring, so guess we will be going with him again. My bullpen still feels a little shaky, but I'll see if I can do some magic there to get it to work out.

I also have another issue that I guess is a good problem to have, but I have too many outfielders that seem to be doing well and ready for every day play. I really wanted to get super-prospect Patrick Catron some playing time as he hit 26 years old and should be ready to enter his prime, but I honestly don't have anywhere to play him at all. If anyone is interested in him, toss me an offer, as I think if he misses out playing time this year, he might end up never breaking into the lineup. With his ratings, he's major league ready this year though. I have a similar problem with CF Emilio Perez and RF Antonio Garza all of which are young and ready for the majors, and all of them have pretty strong potential star ratings. Barring a trade, all of those guys will be sentenced to death at AAA most likely.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Tasan
College Starter

Well I've probably set my team back by about a decade with that draft. I've got to learn how to use this draft list thingy right.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting year for us, I know that. Young blood has officially been injected into the lineup. Brooks is back for his 2nd season at 1B, of course Payton at 3B now, and LF O'Cleary is now going to be a full-time player for us. Some strategy changes as well. My big problem was figuring out the lead off hitter. With O'Cleary being in the lineup more, my speed guys have to sit more.....
Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hartford is kinda in the same boat. All the spots I thought Id be decent at, spring training has told me other wise..... Also guys that I thought wouldt have a shot at making the team I.E. 1b-Jerry Bell, goes out and hits like 417..

I also have some tough choices with my minor league guys.... Starting to get older, and young spects are making a push to be on the AAA roster....

Last edited by muns : 09-04-2008 at 10:57 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Well I've probably set my team back by about a decade with that draft. I've got to learn how to use this draft list thingy right.

It was just a woeful draft class. Don't worry about it.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Interesting year for us, I know that. Young blood has officially been injected into the lineup. Brooks is back for his 2nd season at 1B, of course Payton at 3B now, and LF O'Cleary is now going to be a full-time player for us. Some strategy changes as well. My big problem was figuring out the lead off hitter. With O'Cleary being in the lineup more, my speed guys have to sit more.....

I wouldn't be shocked to see you contend for the CL title this year. Seriously, Atlanta better watch out. Payton is gonna be a monster.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked to see you contend for the CL title this year. Seriously, Atlanta better watch out. Payton is gonna be a monster.

Don't forget Baltimore! Probably a three team race in the CL this year between Atlanta, Baltimore and RG!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh yes, Baltimore too. They've locked and reloaded too!

I was messing around with the VOCL today, I haven't done anything with it yet because I'm massively tired. But...the one change I've made to the formula is to have it add the BVORP and PVORP of each team and divide it by the number of teams in the league and then use that number as the VOCL modifier, rather the seemingly haphazard 400.

When you do that, the VOCLs and Win Window numbers read better and are more clear.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh yes, Baltimore too. They've locked and reloaded too!

I was messing around with the VOCL today, I haven't done anything with it yet because I'm massively tired. But...the one change I've made to the formula is to have it add the BVORP and PVORP of each team and divide it by the number of teams in the league and then use that number as the VOCL modifier, rather the seemingly haphazard 400.

When you do that, the VOCLs and Win Window numbers read better and are more clear.

Thats interesting. Im looking forward to seeing that. Hopefully tomorrow it will make a Fool league appearance
Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

No one really talked about it in all the hubbub around my resignation, but I thought it was neat that Goodwin became the third different Ranchero pitcher to win the RL POY award in a row.

And considering COL has a fourth pitcher in Victor Gonzalez who isn't half bad, it's not out of the question that Colorado could win four POY awards in a row--all with different pitchers.

That would just be nuts if that happens (which means, now that I have said it, it won't, of course).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What VOCL tells us is how much of a fluke last year was and that you still have to play the games. Boston should've run away with it and yet, you had Colorado squeak out over 159 games to beat them and Quad City had no business playing over its head like it did, either.

1973 TEAM VOCL
(Modifier: 323.2)
Code:
ATLANTA 146.0 BROOKLYN 139.2 BOSTON 138.1 VALDOSTA 100.8 BALTIMORE 89.6 COLORADO 74.9 RIO GRANDE 64.4 COLUMBUS 26.9 QUAD CITY 5.6 ANN ARBOR -26.5 NEW ORLEANS -78.1 COMPTON -88.0 HARTFORD -100.8 TORONTO -142.1 TEXAS -153.7 NEW YORK -196.3

VOCL is a stat I created to help teams figure out how close they were to contention and to sharpen their view of their season results.

Quote:
VOCL or Value Over Championship Level. (Pronounced VO-CAL) is not that beautiful of a stat, but it works. It's only measure is to help you determine whether your team is at championship level. Doesn't mean you're anymore likely to win or anything like that.

It just means that your team is officially within its "win window" I've seen teams win at a lower rate than championship level. It's just a helpful tool.

Here are the Win Windows based on last year's numbers:

Code:
Win Window Atlanta 1.208 Boston .994 Brooklyn .969 Valdosta .823 Baltimore .764 Colorado .603 Rio Grande .379 Columbus .214 Quad City .140 Ann Arbor -.198 New Orleans -.650 Compton -.701 Hartford -.758 Toronto -1.092 Texas -1.232 New York -1.495

What do these tell us? Absolutely nothing. Win Window isn't really a predictive measure. It's not intended to say "x team is better than y" it's just a tool to allow owners to figure out where their team is.

Quote:
To determine a team's Win Window, you calculate the VOCL + Win Differential (W - L) / Number of Games in the season = Win Window

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-04-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No one really talked about it in all the hubbub around my resignation, but I thought it was neat that Goodwin became the third different Ranchero pitcher to win the RL POY award in a row.

And considering COL has a fourth pitcher in Victor Gonzalez who isn't half bad, it's not out of the question that Colorado could win four POY awards in a row--all with different pitchers.

That would just be nuts if that happens (which means, now that I have said it, it won't, of course).

The same thing almost happened in Valdosta with Whit O'Neil finishing second in the POY award. He got beat out by Pedro Ortiz in Atlanta who had a slightly better ERA but slightly worse Win total and WHIP. Ortiz was the right person for the award though, but if O'Neil had won, it would have been 3 straight Peanuts and 4 overall (Gonzales, Garner, Wilson) too.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...it does indicate something I felt to be true last year--that it was going to be harder to keep the Rancheros on top unless some good things happened. I still think there is a lot of punch left on the team and in the system, though (don't think I dropped some crap roster on you, Tasan ).

And, wow, look at how Valdosta dropped. Not that they are bad, of course--still pretty damn good. But Alan's levels were so ridiculously high before, it's hard not to look at his current numbers with respect to the past.

Boston looks like they should run away with it this year (in the RL).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
The same thing almost happened in Valdosta with Whit O'Neil finishing second in the POY award. He got beat out by Pedro Ortiz in Atlanta who had a slightly better ERA but slightly worse Win total and WHIP. Ortiz was the right person for the award though, but if O'Neil had won, it would have been 3 straight Peanuts and 4 overall (Gonzales, Garner, Wilson) too.

Two seasons ago, when Colorado and Valdosta starters swept the top three spots in POY voting in their respective leagues--I am not sure we'll ever see that again. That was nuts.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #18
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh...it does indicate something I felt to be true last year--that it was going to be harder to keep the Rancheros on top unless some good things happened. I still think there is a lot of punch left on the team and in the system, though (don't think I dropped some crap roster on you, Tasan ).

And, wow, look at how Valdosta dropped. Not that they are bad, of course--still pretty damn good. But Alan's levels were so ridiculously high before, it's hard not to look at his current numbers with respect to the past.

It goes to show you how important a salary cap is for competition. Imagine if I could have kept all of those players from the past 3 seasons. :drool:

Old 09-04-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here is a comparison, these are the win windows/VOCLs (with the new formula) from 1972. Valdosta swept Colorado in the Classic that year.

Quote:
The Modifier in 1972 was 303.5

Code:
WW / VOCL Valdosta 2.436 / 317.2 Colorado 1.419 / 180.6 Boston .961 / 142.0 Brooklyn .900 / 124.6 Rio Grande .536 / 76.6 Atlanta .462 / 53.2 Quad City .286 / 38.1 Compton .176 / 15.1 Ann Arbor -.015 / -.3 Baltimore -.552 / -64.9 Toronto -.600 / -78.4 New York -.852 / -115.1 Hartford -.948 / -139.9 El Paso -1.196 / -152.2 Columbus -1.276 / -174.4 Texas -1.737 / -221.5

These numbers, make last year's numbers more interesting and should make this season even more insightful, because we can try to see if there is some "learning" going on in these stats. Or if the moving target each year, makes them more haphazard to read, because of the changing value of the VOCL modifier or if it was just the crazy year last year on the field that make the stats reveal just as interesting a story as the season was.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Here is a comparison, these are the win windows/VOCLs (with the new formula) from 1972. Valdosta swept Colorado in the Classic that year.

Code:
WW / VOCL Valdosta 2.436 / 317.2 Colorado 1.419 / 180.6 Boston .961 / 142.0 Brooklyn .900 / 124.6 Rio Grande .536 / 76.6 Atlanta .462 / 53.2 Quad City .286 / 38.1 Compton .176 / 15.1 Ann Arbor -.015 / -.3 Baltimore -.552 / -64.9 Toronto -.600 / -78.4 New York -.852 / -115.1 Hartford -.948 / -139.9 El Paso -1.196 / -152.2 Columbus -1.276 / -174.4 Texas -1.737 / -221.5

These numbers, make last year's numbers more interesting and should make this season even more insightful, because we can try to see if there is some "learning" going on in these stats. Or if the moving target each year, makes them more haphazard to read, because of the changing value of the VOCL modifier or if it was just the crazy year last year on the field that make the stats reveal just as interesting a story as the season was.

I don't have time tonight as I need to go to sleep, but an interesting comparison would be to see how your VOCL maps out vs the Pyth. Record. One compares based on a grouping of player's perceived performance over the league average while the other bases upon a team's perceived performance over the league average. I wonder if the two would map out parallel or not, and if one would provide more insight to teams that played over their head.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
magic_number
Mascot

Can't sleep...I was 12 on the draft...there were only 3-4 teams that did worst then mine. so I thought I would've been higher on the order? I did not pick anyone b/c I was off today & forgot it was wednesday! what a waste.
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_number View Post
Can't sleep...I was 12 on the draft...there were only 3-4 teams that did worst then mine. so I thought I would've been higher on the order? I did not pick anyone b/c I was off today & forgot it was wednesday! what a waste.

According to the standings, you were supposed to be the fifth overall pick, and your #1 pick, Mike "Millionaire" Lane, went fifth overall, per his player page.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I don't have time tonight as I need to go to sleep, but an interesting comparison would be to see how your VOCL maps out vs the Pyth. Record. One compares based on a grouping of player's perceived performance over the league average while the other bases upon a team's perceived performance over the league average. I wonder if the two would map out parallel or not, and if one would provide more insight to teams that played over their head.

Having a positive win window, means it's possible for you to win. It's being closer to 1.000 that makes it more likely that you'll be a winning team.

The VOCL deal is, having a VOCL over the modifer (a positive VOCL, then) essentially determine that your team is effectively "championship caliber" but it's not hard to go from negative VOCL to move up, based on a few moves. It's really just intended to help you recognize the difference between dumb luck and actual team talent.

That said, let's look at the teams that had the highest VOCLs and the teams who played above their heads vs. those that didn't.

Quote:
Here are the teams in order of their VOCLs, with how many games they played at, above or under their pyth. record

Code:
1973 Atlanta +1 Brooklyn -3 Boston +4 Valdosta +1 Baltimore +7 Colorado +2 Quad City +6 Ann Arbor -5 New Orleans -2 Compton -2 Hartford -1 Toronto 0 Texas 0 New York 0

Code:
1972 Valdosta -6 Colorado -2 Boston -4 Brooklyn +2 Rio Grande -2 Atlanta +6 Quad City -1 Compton +3 Ann Arbor 0 Baltimore -3 Toronto +2 New York +1 Hartford +7 El Paso -2 Columbus -3 Texas +1
Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 AM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Am I missing something? Why are there more than a couple pretty strong hitters still out there in FA? Are you guys really that good with your offenses?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #25
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It goes to show you how important a salary cap is for competition. Imagine if I could have kept all of those players from the past 3 seasons. :drool:

Lots of things would have been different with no salary cap.

As for RG contending this year, maybe. My 2-5 guys in the rotation can go any number of ways though. We have the offense to support them now I think though. With Payton in the lineup Tanaka as a guy to take some pressure of of him now though, and that is nice to have again. In fact I may have more potential power in my lineup with those two and Brooks (1B) and O'Cleary (LF) then I ever have before.

In fact one really small thing I am excited about is lineup order. Tanaka has been the #3 hitter since coming to RG. He is now in the 4th spot with Payton 3rd. I wait to see how that effects things, if at all. Crap....I wasn't really planning on doing a preview this year but I think I will tomorrow now.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #26
muns
Pro Starter

Awesome stuff DC.... Great read.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #27
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

While I would agree that they will be in the hunt for it, I think both Colorado and Quad City are also in the mix. I dont think that anyone will run away with it this year and I think the RL is once again going to be a crap shoot. I could easily see one of these 3 taking home the Division crown.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #28
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
My team has even more holes than last year. I have the same holes as last year, but this year add to the picture a hole where I have no defensive substitute at middle infield, and I have a poor backup catcher as well. I tried to talk to a few people about getting a defensive backup, but in most cases people were wanting 4 or 5 star prospects for .250 hitters which just doesn't make sense to me. I'm also concerned about the aging of Inman and Pagan entering the mix. Both have good ratings, and have been the heart of my lineup for longer than most of the owners have been in this league, but that will end some day.

That would be me

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #29
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
That would be me

Wasn't only you. I actually had talks with a few teams for players that I perceived not playing a big part on their team. I think there is a universal desire to not give up on a 4 or 5 star prospect that has busted despite all signs pointing to them being a bust.

I know I do it, I have "Tank" Gomez whom is currently 2 star / 4 star potential (once 5 star potential), whom now is 28 or 29 years old. He's shown in the majors and AAA that he just isn't going to become anything great despite what his star ratings show. Yet for some reason I can't part with him after spending what feels like an eternity trying to develop him.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #30
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Don't forget Baltimore! Probably a three team race in the CL this year between Atlanta, Baltimore and RG!

I would say 2 team race...
Atlanta and RG...

I had two starting pitchers pitch WAY over thier heads last year...neither are still on my team and their replacements are both very good AAA chuckers. Morris, my *ahem* ace, is another year older and not another year better, Pate is a shell of his former self (did he even HAVE a former self?) and from there it gets worse. My starters are extremly average. Hopefully they do well enough to get the ball into Patricks hand, who if he keeps up his pace will have a strong arguement as the greatest FOOL closer in history.

My offense is very solid and I would bet I lead the league in HRs again this season, but there will be a lot of solo shots. I am short on table setters, and guys who can manufacture runs.
I have no "scary hitters", but a deep lineup filled with 8 guys who can be a hero any given night. .

My defense is 2nd to none...that will make my average pitching look a little better, but defense doesn't prevent the longball.

All this will keep me above .500, but a lack of starting pitching will keep me from the promised land.

Prediction...9 games back from Atlanta, 5 back from RG.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 09-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #31
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Wasn't only you. I actually had talks with a few teams for players that I perceived not playing a big part on their team. I think there is a universal desire to not give up on a 4 or 5 star prospect that has busted despite all signs pointing to them being a bust.

I know I do it, I have "Tank" Gomez whom is currently 2 star / 4 star potential (once 5 star potential), whom now is 28 or 29 years old. He's shown in the majors and AAA that he just isn't going to become anything great despite what his star ratings show. Yet for some reason I can't part with him after spending what feels like an eternity trying to develop him.
I am the same way...I even have to snap up a 28 yr old FA who has great, unfulfilled potentials...I KNOW he wont develop....but WHAT IF HE DOES??? It's like going to Vegas...the house always wins, but we still keep coming back for the "What if's"..
I bet psycologists would have a field day in any OOTP league forum!!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 09-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #32
magic_number
Mascot

Who was the guy who ran my team b4? He did not care much at all for SP! My SP's are killing me, was there some SP shortage in the last 5 yrs or what??
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Old 09-05-2008, 02:32 PM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Who was the guy who ran my team b4? He did not care much at all for SP! My SP's are killing me, was there some SP shortage in the last 5 yrs or what??

Compton was on AI control for a couple seasons or so. Before that it was originally a great team built by DC, then I think the nimrod who got booted had it and started to mess it up.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Someday, I can write a novel about "What Might Have Been...the story of the Compton Brothers."

That team was designed for auto pilot, not tinkering and said nimrod didn't do work with them.

You can get them back to prominence, M#. I'm confident of this.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-05-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #35
magic_number
Mascot

Quote:
Someday, I can write a novel about "What Might Have Been...the story of the Compton Brothers."

That team was designed for auto pilot, not tinkering and said nimrod didn't do work with them.

You can get them back to prominence, M#. I'm confident of this.

Thx for the vote. All things heal with time & I'm sure my team will turn itself around some day. I don't mind re-building it, but good SP is kinda hard to get & I need a few of them . I have lots of good OF's, however, it seems so does everyone else.

Well, Time to tink away for opening day. I can smell the hotdogs & beer already . I can't wait til my boy is a bit older to really enjoy the new Yankee stadium, too bad he will never remember the old one. I grew up in the South Bronx & had many good times there while cutting school with my best friend. He's a Mets fan so we would flip flop between Shea & the Yanks. I'm sad to see the old girl go, just as I was to see the "real" Joe go. If my Yanks don't make it, then I hope L.A. takes it all. Kinda just like when I cheered on the Mets in the 86 WS .

Now I live in Mass. & have to deal with "red sox nation" every day, which is kinda fun... in a way they just replaced those Mets fan I grew up with. But I'm happy for their recent success, b/c they have been much more mellow since then. I understood their pain, 78 to 96 was a long enough wait for us Yankee fans. I feel the fans on both sides are spoiled today & forget that winning is NOT everything... for me it's all about the journey.

Anyways, good luck to all.
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Old 09-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #36
magic_number
Mascot

Quote:
According to the standings, you were supposed to be the fifth overall pick, and your #1 pick, Mike "Millionaire" Lane, went fifth overall, per his player page.

You are correct, I did not know where to look for this year's draft (thx DC) & I was looking at last year's draft...thinking the AI was lacking b/c it picked a 1B for RD.1 then I saw I was 12 on the order. So I'm happy to see it picked a SP after all. The UI in this game takes some getting to know b4 you can really find all the info you need.

On the same-ish note I take it that ERC (CERA) is the SP's run support stat I was looking for, right?
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Old 09-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #37
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

A couple of you guys have posted that you think I am going to win the CL again, but I just don't see that happening again. It would be nice, but my some of my pitching is getting older, and a few of my offensive guys had career years that I doubt they will match.
graygoose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #38
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Outside of Matthews, Reyes, and Vazquez I really just have a bunch of average guys offensively. Aguirre is not bad, but nobody else is worth even talking about.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
You are correct, I did not know where to look for this year's draft (thx DC) & I was looking at last year's draft...thinking the AI was lacking b/c it picked a 1B for RD.1 then I saw I was 12 on the order. So I'm happy to see it picked a SP after all. The UI in this game takes some getting to know b4 you can really find all the info you need.

On the same-ish note I take it that ERC (CERA) is the SP's run support stat I was looking for, right?

If you're looking for a SP's run support, click on said pitcher, go to the "Pitching Stats" tab and then click "View" and "Expanded Pitching Stats" You will see RS/G in the last column.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #40
muns
Pro Starter

Good luck to all tonight. Im really looking forward to this season since it should be my first in 4 years that I actually have a shot and not finishing in the bottom half of the RL.

I have no idea who id pick to win the RL this year, as I see it being a 3 team race. Quad City, Boston and Colorado all have the shot to win it all this year.

In the CL I think it might be Rio's year..... I like the starting pitching a bit more than a few of the other teams that also have a shot at winning it, and I think their lineup is a very much improved group.

I like what Texas did in the offseason and im gonna be real curious as to where they are gonna finish in the standings.... I dont think they have the pitching quite yet, but I sure like the moves he made to improve that squad.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My surprise teams this year are gonna be Texas and Hartford.

I think Hartford is the dark horse to win the RL. Yes, you heard it here first. In the CL, I think Valdosta is gonna surprise everyone and have a swan song for their 4th title in 5 years, to go down as the undisputed juggernaut of FOOL dynastyville.

Texas, I predict, will have a winning season and could threaten to finish in the money.

Those are my bold predictions!

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-05-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #42
magic_number
Mascot

Quote:
If you're looking for a SP's run support, click on said pitcher, go to the "Pitching Stats" tab and then click "View" and "Expanded Pitching Stats" You will see RS/G in the last column.

Cool, thx...I'll go take a look now.
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #43
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
In the CL I think it might be Rio's year..... I like the starting pitching a bit more than a few of the other teams that also have a shot at winning it, and I think their lineup is a very much improved group.

I am not sure what you mean about Rio Grande's starting pitching. Besides Sparks, there is not much there. No offense to Cringer here. I do agree that he has one of the most solid offenses out there though.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #44
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

No offense taken, Sparks is the man, and I have some good guys in the bullpen. My 2-5 starters will need the extra run support I hope to get this year if they are to improve over last season.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #45
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

You should definitely get good run support there. It should be interesting to see how Payton plays, and I fully expect you to be there in the end. Should be fun later.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #46
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoose12 View Post
I am not sure what you mean about Rio Grande's starting pitching. Besides Sparks, there is not much there. No offense to Cringer here. I do agree that he has one of the most solid offenses out there though.

I think they are a little overall more balanced than the other teams. You have 2 good pitchers up front compared to his 2, however I think his 4 and 5 guys are stronger...

Todd, Turner, and Prado pitched out of their minds last year... I wouldnt expect the same performance this year. Just my 2 cents though

Last edited by muns : 09-05-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #47
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My surprise teams this year are gonna be Texas and Hartford.

I think Hartford is the dark horse to win the RL. Yes, you heard it here first. In the RL, I think Valdosta is gonna surprise everyone and have a swan song for their 4th title in 5 years, to go down as the undisputed juggernaut of FOOL dynastyville.

Texas, I predict, will have a winning season and could threaten to finish in the money.

Those are my bold predictions!

Thanks alot.. I'd been hoping to enter this season without anyone at all even expecting me to compete. You just ruined that for me!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #48
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks alot.. I'd been hoping to enter this season without anyone at all even expecting me to compete. You just ruined that for me!

lol your nuts.... You have 5-6 guys that start that can hit 300 for you... Im real interested in who makes your club this year. In looking at your roster you have more than a few interesting choices to make, especially in the log jam of an outfield.

Last edited by muns : 09-05-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM   #49
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
lol your nuts.... You have 5-6 guys that start that can hit 300 for you... Im real interested in who makes your club this year. In looking at your roster you have more than a few interesting choices to make, especially in the log jam of an outfield.

Yeah, I can't wait to see who makes it either tonight!

Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Alan is 81 wins away from his 1000th FOOL Victory this year!
Allpro is 68 wins away from his 900th FOOL Win
Cringer is 16 wins away from his 800th FOOL Victory
gstelmack is 24 wins away from his 800th
muns is 43 wins away from his 800th
greygoose is 30 wins away from his 500th
Turner is 20 wins awy from his 300th

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-05-2008 at 08:31 PM.