Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #251
kaosfere
College Prospect

Well, my 8 starting fielders had a combined VORP of 270.3, which was only 4 below that of Valdosta, 40 above that of Atlanta, and 70 above that of Baltimore.

And, yeah, 644 runs for is second only to Valdosta, 573 runs against is second only to Valdosta.

At least I got something right. I blame this one on one of my starters falling so flat on his face he made a mountain in China, on Wiley deciding to let someone else earn Pitcher of the Year, and a little bit of bad luck. And Valdosta kicking ass as usual.

Blah.

It's a tough game.
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186

Last edited by kaosfere : 09-20-2008 at 12:20 AM.
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #252
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
again, I have Harmon as a 63.

Different Harmon. He mis-named Sam harmon at first whom is a FOOL famous Catcher bust... He really meant Steven Harmon

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #253
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
again, I have Harmon as a 63.

Thank ya for letting me know, so you have it as a 40 point drop off, I have it as a 70 point drop off.

I didnt realize that we all saw different ratings for guys??
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:19 AM   #254
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My PVORP 68.7. That explains it.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #255
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Thank ya for letting me know, so you have it as a 40 point drop off, I have it as a 70 point drop off.

I've seen it happen.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #256
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Wiley deciding to let someone else earn Pitcher of the Year.

Carlos Gonzales somewhere in the deep south has pinned this quote to his bulletin board.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 AM   #257
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, he is looking at Sam Harmon whom you originally listed before you edited it.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #258
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post

ya thats not good, youll fix that next year
Old 09-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #259
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
No, he is looking at Sam Harmon whom you originally listed before you edited it.

Ya my bad, Im used to sam.....
Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #260
Ramzavail
College Starter

ah Sam Harmon, my bad
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #261
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but the most untalked about success this season is in Long Island, and that concerns me more than most of you probably would think is needed.

Point is, that is still the old Boston there, a very good team, just in a new place. And I know from experience that Anthony knows a heck of a lot about what he is doing. He's going to keep that team in the mix, I have no doubt.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #262
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Someone for Baltimore had a triple play this year.. nice

Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #263
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Anthony Payton, yes, that Anthony Payton, is on the block. I need pitching, this needs to happen people.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #264
muns
Pro Starter

Alan over at ootp is it the player development is broken thread that you were referring to?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #265
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:

Wish it was that easy for me. Mine was 186, which was 20 down from last year, but still not bad.

Some years it's just not your year.

Going to need to be careful to make some changes without overtweaking in response to this.
SBL:
Old 09-20-2008, 12:26 AM   #266
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Alan over at ootp is it the player development is broken thread that you were referring to?

I Know Player Dev Isn't Broken... - OOTP Developments Forums

Player development is broken! Please fix! - Page 7 - OOTP Developments Forums

To be fair though, we have no idea how his development occured over the season. Markus is saying there is no way this can happen in a week, which may very well be true.. but Steven clearly bombed this year on you, and based on the stats I'm wondering if this was in the cards last year or not.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #267
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Where do you see team VORP?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #268
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Carlos Gonzales somewhere in the deep south has pinned this quote to his bulletin board.

I have a feeling they'll be duking it out for several years to come.
SBL:
Old 09-20-2008, 12:29 AM   #269
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Where do you see team VORP?

Go to your team's history, then click on the year of the stats your interested in.
SBL:
Old 09-20-2008, 12:29 AM   #270
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nah. I don't think it can work that way. That team was build for his strategy and his methodology. I think you can try it, but it won't work. I know a few years ago, I tried to mimic his offensive strategy. But it didn't work for my team and we were way under my expectations.

You just can't do it. You have to build a team that plays the way you wanna play or at least, build a team that will conform and play ahead of what the standard for the rest of the league is.

OOTP has matured to the point where there is enough grey area for you to say "well, he just didn't have a good year" rather than "his ratings were broke."

I think that's an excellent thing.

What I love is that there is more than one way to win in this league. Some things that Alan does is familiar to me, because I do them. And some are familiar to me because I have heard of those strategies and rejected them. And, of course, he also does some seriously ingenious stuff, too, that are just out of left field to me, and they're just terrific. Love the way his mind works with this stuff (and he expresses it well verbally, too--no one I would rather read in a thread about OOTP strategy than Alan, anywhere, really).

All that said, I don't really do it much Alan's way--and I have success, too. And I think that's great. It really adds to things. I can tell DC does it his own way, too, and it's different from mine and Alan's. There are probably 16 ways to run a team in this league, one for each owner, and we all have thew ability to make that strategy a success.

Don't expect me to spell out my strategy like Alan, though, at least not all in one place. He's good enough to tell you what he does and still beat you. I'm under no such delusions.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:31 AM   #271
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
On July 15th, Tanaka hit his 400th homerun.

On July 13th he had his 2500th hit.

Was that in one series? Nice series for him, if so. Hope it was at home for the fans.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #272
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

RF Mac Rasmussen is on the trade block.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #273
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking Jesus Flores might have had a good enough year to get a Rookie of the Year award for Valdosta, but Jose Gonzales for Texas looks like he probably beats him out for that.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #274
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Was that in one series? Nice series for him, if so. Hope it was at home for the fans.

I hadn't even checked actually. Turns out it was in two series, neither at home. The hit came in...Atlanta. The HR in Baltimore.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #275
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I Know Player Dev Isn't Broken... - OOTP Developments Forums

Player development is broken! Please fix! - Page 7 - OOTP Developments Forums

To be fair though, we have no idea how his development occured over the season. Markus is saying there is no way this can happen in a week, which may very well be true.. but Steven clearly bombed this year on you, and based on the stats I'm wondering if this was in the cards last year or not.

His stats were bad last year, but it was his first year playing in a platoon. Easy for one to reason. Think he would bounce back, and he does. His stats are way better than expected for a 36 contact hitter... Hitting 256 ill take it.

My issue is with him dropping 70 ratings points. That screams its broken as no sim should have that in a game at all. People can cry and scream that it happens in real life with Justin Verlander and yada yada yada, but then others can give examples of a CC sabathia this year as well.

There has been huge jumps in ratings this year or drops as ive just noted. Anyone else notice anything on thier own teams.

MCgill on my team jumped up 20 points in HR during the season. Thats a huge jump IMO.....
Old 09-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #276
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Stan Miller of Atlanta broke the FOOL record for saves in a season with 51. The previous record of 50 was set by Aaron Daily in 1969, whom was with Compton at the time.

I guess that was a good decision then. It's like my own Frankie Rodriguez. And 51 saves for an 87 win team (I think)? That's incredible.

Quote:
Joe Hart of Colorado tied the FOOL record for complete games with 13, which was previously set by Ricardo Torres of Valdosta in 1967.

First time ever for me to see a player from Colorado and say to myself, "Who the F is that?!?"

I guess the Rancheros are truly no longer my team.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #277
Ramzavail
College Starter

who signed these bums to super long and expensive deals, I wanna string em up

Guterriez and Herrera
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #278
kaosfere
College Prospect

Oh, Mr Commish?

Could I get you to give Maresuke Saito the nickname "Dead Man Walking"?

Doubly appropriate, given his general collapse, and his 4.2 BB/9 this year.
SBL:
Old 09-20-2008, 12:37 AM   #279
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It looks like Steven imploded. His actual stats from last season kind of go in line with a 36 contact rating though.. but this is one of those things that Markus locked a thread on the OOTP forums just today because it doesn't happen in OOTP anymore

That freakin' sucks. It's even worse because he was a guy muns really focused on getting in the Barajas deal.

It would open just too huge a can of worms, but in some other ideal world, I would say, screw that, and reset his currents to what he had at the start of last season.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #280
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Different Harmon. He mis-named Sam harmon at first whom is a FOOL famous Catcher bust... He really meant Steven Harmon

Maybe this bust trend is a Harmon thing?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #281
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
His stats were bad last year, but it was his first year playing in a platoon. Easy for one to reason. Think he would bounce back, and he does. His stats are way better than expected for a 36 contact hitter... Hitting 256 ill take it.

My issue is with him dropping 70 ratings points. That screams its broken as no sim should have that in a game at all. People can cry and scream that it happens in real life with Justin Verlander and yada yada yada, but then others can give examples of a CC sabathia this year as well.

There has been huge jumps in ratings this year or drops as ive just noted. Anyone else notice anything on thier own teams.

MCgill on my team jumped up 20 points in HR during the season. Thats a huge jump IMO.....

I uhh.. had a guy that had a +56 in stuff this season according to OOTp's scouting report... But like I said in a previous thread on here.. that scouting report is on crack.. It isn't accurate alot of the time in my opinion. But I don't have any "proof" to give me enough reason to try to convince folks over at ootp

Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #282
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
That freakin' sucks. It's even worse because he was a guy muns really focused on getting in the Barajas deal.

It would open just too huge a can of worms, but in some other ideal world, I would say, screw that, and reset his currents to what he had at the start of last season.

Na im not worried about it, I was irritated, and then I read that he closed a thread saying that nothing was wrong it made it even worse.

I got other guys ill suck it up, but when you loose a race by 2 games, and your leadoff hitter drops 70 points in contact.... ya tough to swallow

Last edited by muns : 09-20-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:40 AM   #283
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe this bust trend is a Harmon thing?

Quietly, somewhere in Connecticut, muns tries to ship Doug Harmon out of town.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #284
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wish it was that easy for me. Mine was 186, which was 20 down from last year, but still not bad.

Some years it's just not your year.

Going to need to be careful to make some changes without overtweaking in response to this.

You guys had some great stat threads while I was out of the league. I tried to follow it, but didn't quite succeed. How does one figure this out again?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #285
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I uhh.. had a guy that had a +56 in stuff this season according to OOTp's scouting report... But like I said in a previous thread on here.. that scouting report is on crack.. It isn't accurate alot of the time in my opinion. But I don't have any "proof" to give me enough reason to try to convince folks over at ootp

lol ya im not using the scouting report, like you said thats been broke as heck and its not really worth trying to sort though IMO. Im just talking about guys actual ratings on the player page...
Old 09-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #286
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
who signed these bums to super long and expensive deals, I wanna string em up

Guterriez and Herrera

OUCH!!! Ya thats tough. AI maybe, I wouldnt think the previous owner would do that. Not a good way to start a rebuild job for sure

Last edited by muns : 09-20-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:46 AM   #287
kaosfere
College Prospect

Other interesting items:

Compton gave up two cycles, one to Arthur Summers of Hartford, and one to Earl Cronie of New Orleans. This is the first multiple-cycle season a team has had since Columbus gave up 3 in '71.

Joey Higman had a 24-game hitting streak, tied with Rick Inman in '68 for fourth longest ever. (1975 was probably the best single year in history, with a 25 and a 26 game streak, although Ed Wilson's 28 games way back in '61 is still the record.)
SBL:

Last edited by kaosfere : 09-20-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #288
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You can release them, Ramz.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #289
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, big time congrats to Rich Haas and his 1976 CL Batting Crown.

He certainly always had the ability to do it, but there are a lot of guys like this, so you never expect it from any one player. I guess he now officially becomes one of the best bargains in the biz (but boy will he be asking for a lot this offseason to come back...)

Old 09-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #290
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So the 4 Rio Grande rookies, were they the fall of the team? It seems no is the answer to this question, the problems were elsewhere it seems. My strategy is probably one reason. When I tinker there, my team does poorly. Bench players stunk for the most part as well, and my pitching had a VORP of 66 it seems, so they stunk as well. The rookies had mixed results but mostly good.

SP Pablo Guerrero - What can I say. The 20 year old came in and was my only pitcher to really do anything. Only guy with double digit wins, going 17-8 with a 3.02 ERA and 152 Ks and a 36.3 VORP. He was amazing compared to the rest of the team. The bad news for him is as of right now he is the #1 SP next year now. He is doomed!!!!

SP Tynan Johnson - The worst of the 4 I guess. 5-16 with an ERA of 5.74. His VORP was -26 or something. Yikes. The bad news for him is he might get to repeat this horrible season next year. Doomed as well!!!!

OF Stanley Patterson - Wow, surprise here. Patterson led my team in hitting with a .304 AVG. The .329 OBP was more of what I expected, heck even better I guess. He finished with a VORP of 18.0, and even though his ratings didn't seem to move he will be back again next year for sure.

SS George Stewart - Mixed results here. His ratings actually improved, so he will probably get another chance. The .233 BA wasn't real hot though and his negative VORP hurt the team, especially considering that Jones was benched for him and Jones finished with an 8 VORP (16 higher then Stewart) in less then 200 ABs.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #291
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:

Yeah. I think he's going to be first on my list of regrets for that other thread.
SBL:
Old 09-20-2008, 12:52 AM   #292
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

He certainly always had the ability to do it, but there are a lot of guys like this, so you never expect it from any one player. I guess he now officially becomes one of the best bargains in the biz (but boy will he be asking for a lot this offseason to come back...)

That is a neat story right there
Old 09-20-2008, 12:53 AM   #293
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh.. get to face Juan Reyes in the FOOL Classic.. story of a happy 1 star second baseman that I gave a chance, taught him how to play big league ball, made him a star and then slammed the door on his butt as he left town because we wouldn't give him a $13mil a year deal. ugh!

Ruben Mendoza gets his chance to get revenge on me too..

Oh Ken Connolly and Pat Bentley are two other long time Valdosta players coming back to face us also.. Looks like half of my old team! Will be a familiar site for them at our ballpark.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #294
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yeah. I think he's going to be first on my list of regrets for that other thread.

+1
Old 09-20-2008, 12:59 AM   #295
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Freakin Bob Arnold wants $36 million to resign with me.. Someone should explain to him exactly how little worth 1st basemen are in this league.

Higman wants $71,760,000 over four years.

I was hoping he'd come back to his senses after this one year, but I don't think he's going to be re-signed for that much.
SBL:
Old 09-20-2008, 01:04 AM   #296
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I need to head to bed. I have to leave to coach the kids soccer team in 7 hours.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #297
kaosfere
College Prospect

Night, Cringer!
SBL:
Old 09-20-2008, 01:13 AM   #298
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Technically, he could be one I put up in that thread, too, you know.

Or does it no longer count, since I got him back.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 AM   #299
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Doesn't count, you got him back. That's a great story, though.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 AM   #300
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I'm going to sound like a crazy fanboy here, but honestly, does anyone here truly realize just how crazy great Edgardo Reyes is? I mean, the guy stole 71 bases this year at 33! Four straight years of 50+ SBs at this age. Six years 100+ runs scored or more. He has never had lower than an .800 OPS or a .279 AVG, and he has 7 .300-plus seasons in 11 years. He has four seasons of .400+ OBP, and he had 71--71!--doubles in 1971. Kinda like he said, "Hey, I'm going to get the same number of doubles this year as the year." 20 triples that same year, too.

He also has three rings, and four trips to the Classic.

And his ratings are still freakin' great. Unbelievable.