Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #301
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Okay, I'm going to sound like a crazy fanboy here, but honestly, does anyone here truly realize just how crazy great Edgardo Reyes is?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #302
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Most underrated player in the league, hands down.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 AM   #303
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The only reason I haven't listed Reyes on the players I regret letting go thread, was my options that year was: Carlos Gonzales, Rick Inman, Roberto Pagan or Edguardo Reyes. I could only keep 3 of the 4.. (Same year Juan Reyes, Segura, Mendoza and Wyatt all left I believe)..

So Technically I still think I made the right choice.. but man I was really wishing I could figure out a way to keep him.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 AM   #304
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Most underrated player in the league, hands down.

I still say Pagan is more underrated than Reyes personally... I loved that 1971 Valdosta team though.. probably more than any other team in my OOTP career other than perhaps my JBL Sapporo team.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:29 AM   #305
kaosfere
College Prospect

Dark Cloud, I was serious about that nick name request for Saito, if you don't object.

OK, extensions offered, Wiley and Lujan are sane, Higman can go blow, I'm still mad at Saito, and I'm going to go to bed.
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:32 AM   #306
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't catch the nickname, you'll have to remind me.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:32 AM   #307
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, John Bruce officially went to crap this season.

Strangely enough, Prado--six years older than Bruce--just keeps rolling along. His ratings are a shadow of themselves, and yet, he put up a 3.62 ERA and is under contract for another season.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #308
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
I didn't catch the nickname, you'll have to remind me.

Dead Man Walking

SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #309
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Okay, John Bruce officially went to crap this season.

Strangely enough, Prado--six years older than Bruce--just keeps rolling along. His ratings are a shadow of themselves, and yet, he put up a 3.62 ERA and is under contract for another season.

And he's 40!

In the old days, making it to 30 was an accomplishment!
Old 09-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #310
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My wife is going to kill me. I have to get up in 3 hours and all I'm doing is looking through player stats ...

Old 09-20-2008, 01:38 AM   #311
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And he's 40!

In the old days, making it to 30 was an accomplishment!

If he comes back next year, and assuming I am not in a critical game the last game of the season, I may ask if you would allow one final midseason roster change request, and give him a start on the final day of the season. For one of the all time greats probably (maybe?) playing his final season, that would be extremely cool.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #312
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
My wife is going to kill me. I have to get up in 3 hours and all I'm doing is looking through player stats ...

Heh...tell her it's my fault.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #313
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
If he comes back next year, and assuming I am not in a critical game the last game of the season, I may ask if you would allow one final midseason roster change request, and give him a start on the final day of the season. For one of the all time greats probably (maybe?) playing his final season, that would be extremely cool.

So long as someone reminds me, I'd totally support this. I hate seeing old vets retire in Triple-A in obscurity. So long as it's a non-critical game on the last day of the season, seems like a fun thing to do.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #314
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Wow, I've been sitting at my computer for like 15 minutes this morning in disbelief, in the fact that we actually came through and won the RL! My hat goes off to muns, but I know that his time is very soon. We just hope not to let the RL down this season agains the 'Nuts.

I'll be letting Connolly, Bentley, Reyes and Mendoza give the pep talks this week in preperation and to have them disclose the Valdosta secrets that we can use to defeat them

They're going to be a tough team to beat, so I've got some work to do in the next couple of days to figure out the best way to beat them
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #315
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

I think I found the best news headline of the season

Tuesday, July 20th, 1976: Fritz Hot, Fathers Cold

Apparently the Fathers don't like how hot the 'Big Kahuna' is

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 09-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #316
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
Wow, I've been sitting at my computer for like 15 minutes this morning in disbelief, in the fact that we actually came through and won the RL! My hat goes off to muns, but I know that his time is very soon. We just hope not to let the RL down this season agains the 'Nuts.

I'll be letting Connolly, Bentley, Reyes and Mendoza give the pep talks this week in preperation and to have them disclose the Valdosta secrets that we can use to defeat them

They're going to be a tough team to beat, so I've got some work to do in the next couple of days to figure out the best way to beat them

Its time the CL dominance ended. You have the team to do it Bring it hope Turner!!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #317
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Well, I'm not entirely surprised the highlanders took a step back, DC was much more optimistic about the '76 campaign than I was myself. I had a rough week in RL and didn't put much time into the game, and also I think this was an in-between year. I haven't examined my whole team yet, hopefully Robinson at least had a good rookie year.

Congrats to the Classic contestants and good luck.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #318
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
I guess that was a good decision then. It's like my own Frankie Rodriguez. And 51 saves for an 87 win team (I think)? That's incredible.

First time ever for me to see a player from Colorado and say to myself, "Who the F is that?!?"

I guess the Rancheros are truly no longer my team.

One of my top draftees from last year. Can I destroy a team faster than anyone or what? Three straight losing seasons. I'm not getting this at all, as I thought I might have a competitive team this season, despite missing most of the offseason. What do I have to do to move my team? I think a change of scenery might do us some good.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #319
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
One of my top draftees from last year. Can I destroy a team faster than anyone or what? Three straight losing seasons. I'm not getting this at all, as I thought I might have a competitive team this season, despite missing most of the offseason. What do I have to do to move my team? I think a change of scenery might do us some good.

I think it goes back to what I said previously and what DC and then later Chief echoed... Everyone has to figure out what their team's playing style is going to be. It just is really hard to either take someone else's players fit for a different system and cram them into your system, just as it is incredibly hard to take someone else's system and try to use it as your own.

It isn't unheard of to take over a successful team and have problems getting things to work just right. Chief has a long history of playing OOTP and just like with my team and my style that doesn't mean he does it better than anyone else, just different. I am sure he has some unorthodox approaches that work for him but don't work for you because of the approach.

I think you'll be fine, I know from our other league together that you seem to have a good grasp of what you are doing. Just take a deep breath and make Colorado into what you want it to be and I'm sure you'll rebound in no time. This league is alot tougher than a solo league since most of the owners here are smarter than the AI is normally, so don't beat yourself up too much.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #320
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The coaches page is all foobar'd in this league, so not sure exactly how accurate... but...

CONGRATULATIONS CRINGER!!

He became I think the 4th? coach in FOOL history to get to 1000 wins!

Old 09-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #321
Tasan
College Starter

Yeah I know, and I'm definitely not going to really want to move the team with the fan following I currently have. Hopefully with a full off season to make deals and sign players, I can get things the way I want them. Its just disheartening to see what I've done to this once great team.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:08 AM   #322
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
BTW, haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but the most untalked about success this season is in Long Island, and that concerns me more than most of you probably would think is needed.

Point is, that is still the old Boston there, a very good team, just in a new place. And I know from experience that Anthony knows a heck of a lot about what he is doing. He's going to keep that team in the mix, I have no doubt.

i got rather concerned when we had a horrendous July (i think, the month we wound up like 18 games behind), but glad to see we started strong.

i'm gonna download the file to see how my quickly emerging favorite player - rookie Joe Smith - did this season. i had him platooning in the outfield, i want to see just how close to the 100 contact rating he ended the season with.

100 contact [potential], 100 speed.

yeah, i don't think you'll be seeing him batting any lower than #1 in the order.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #323
Anthony
Banned

and thanks for the unexpected props, Chief. i've never won a OOTP MP championship in all my years, but due to the unique setup of this league (less amount of teams, like 100 seasons year) i feel rather confident i'll grab more than my fair share of rings. lol
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #324
magic_number
Mascot

My 2 fng's did good this year, I think ED "the DH" Morgen has a shot at ROTY. SO if I get some key parts this year I may have a shot. Time to go to the park... hats off the the champs... beware of the drive -bys!!!
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #325
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Albert Barbosa surpassed Matt Wood as Valdosta's all time leading save leader this season as he hit exactly 300 saves for his career. Unfortunately this may be his last year in Valdosta as rumors are circulating that management does not wish to give him an additional 22 million dollars over 5 years at age of 32.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #326
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

DanGarion resigned Brooklyn. League moves too fast for him and he needs something that's not so...insane. Brooklyn is open.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #327
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
The coaches page is all foobar'd in this league, so not sure exactly how accurate... but...

CONGRATULATIONS CRINGER!!

He became I think the 4th? coach in FOOL history to get to 1000 wins!

What a great year to do it in, my worst season yet and my first time in last place.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #328
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
DanGarion resigned Brooklyn. League moves too fast for him and he needs something that's not so...insane. Brooklyn is open.

That's a shame. dangarion's a good owner who would have brought a lot to this league. But, yeah, the pace is not for everyone.