Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #251
Tasan
College Starter

Yeah, Fujii was way too underdeveloped to be that high on my list either. I had him at 18 because of those single digit ratings. Nice guy if he pays off, but he's a long way away.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #252
muns
Pro Starter

I too liked my draft, I got my #6, #10, #30, #34, #36, #54. Ill take it
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #253
Anthony
Banned

i wanted a SP, i didn't really need another OF. fortunately of the OF's i had on my list, Lopez was towards the top. still, would've liked a SP or a 2B. i love how quick this draft was, i wish every MP league did it this way.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #254
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

People must be starting to draft like me, at least in the early going. I got #10, #16, #31, #33, #35, #40, #50 and #51. The last four were MRs, of course. Only the ninth pick of the ones shown was not on my list. I didn't draft a 1B in the picks shown (good), but didn't draft any starters either (bad).

Let's see how the list breaks down next to pick selected.

1st: #10 on list (12th overall)
2nd: #16 on list (28th overall)
3rd: #31 on list (44th overall)
4th: #33 on list (60th overall)
5th: #35 on list (76th overall)
6th: #40 on list (92nd overall)
7th: #50 on list (106th overall)
8th: #51 on list (122nd overall)

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #255
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Fujii was your #2? Not what I would have expected. I dropped him to 20.

I had him at 21. Thinking alike i see
Old 09-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #256
Anthony
Banned

i should've made my list longer, i only did 20 names. of course, i just realized not too long ago that we need to make draft lists. this OOTP9 MP/FOOL way of doing things is taking me some time to get used to, i'm learning as i go.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #257
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
i should've made my list longer, i only did 20 names. of course, i just realized not too long ago that we need to make draft lists. this OOTP9 MP/FOOL way of doing things is taking me some time to get used to, i'm learning as i go.

I wouldn't worry. I probably do by far the longest lists of anyone (or longer than most people say they do, anyway). I know some managers don't do lists at all. They just AI draft. 20 is probably close to average, maybe 5-10 below at worst.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #258
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, if anyone's counting, I had 64 on my list this year, but that was my longest list in some time. I usually average about 40.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #259
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't worry. I probably do by far the longest lists of anyone (or longer than most people say they do, anyway). I know some managers don't do lists at all. They just AI draft. 20 is probably close to average, maybe 5-10 below at worst.

I usually only do about 20, but this year was deeper IMO so I went up to 54 on my list.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #260
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #261
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Interesting tactics talk...I had a list of 14...Fuji wasn`t on it

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #262
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
BTW, if anyone's counting, I had 64 on my list this year, but that was my longest list in some time. I usually average about 40.

I was close with 52. I would have done more but pitching wasn't that deep. I didn't have a big problem doing it either, except the annoying bug of players disappearing off the list every now and then when you add someone to it.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #263
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think you all must do your minor leagues a bit different than me. I haven't found too much problem developing players that virtually had 0 talent to a decent player long term. In fact, I usually don't have hardly anyone in some of my lower levels of the minors because all of the guys drafted are already better than that level of competition.

Just at quick glance, I had several players in spring training this year that were marked on my spreadsheet as below 20 or single digit ratingwise when they came into the league that have developed ok:

"Red-headed Stepchild"
Gary O'Healey
Lorenzo Martinez
Chris Drew
Roy Sullivan

I guess you have to set expectations accordingly, like I haven't seen many players with 100 prospective talent that held that once the fully developed, and you get busts, but this seems to be toned down in at least this league. My guess is our talent randomness setting isn't that high because I don't seem to have too many of these fizzle out on me.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #264
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I'm curious why someone is over the salary cap unless the Rules post is outdated in which case i am going to be mildly peeved.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #265
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
I'm curious why someone is over the salary cap unless the Rules post is outdated in which case i am going to be mildly peeved.

The cap doesn't apply to me.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #266
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It always happens at spring training, they still have to be under by the start of the season, that is when it is always enforced by DC.

The game won't let you aquire new players to go over the cap via free agency, but you can trade for them, or get over the cap by bringing up minor leaguers for spring training or you can get over the cap because of arbitration..

Either way, they MUST be below cap by the start of the season, or they get penalized.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #267
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The cap doesn't apply to me.

Stop causing problems.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #268
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Or the deadline for export submissions apparently, must be nice to get other people to believe your pub.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #269
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Seriously, though, I had the payroll pretty much up to within the price of a shoeshine before spring training, and then I elevated, like, 25-35 guys to the roster who were on minor league contracts (so they all get $190K). Those guys will mostly be down in AAA again tomorrow, making nothing. I may have to cut one player if I keep some of those guys, but that's not a problem--I have some disposable contracts.

If I kept the roster as is at $67M+ tomorrow, of course, DC would (rightly) ding me.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #270
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Stop causing problems.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #271
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Or the deadline for export submissions apparently, must be nice to get other people to believe your pub.

There were, what, three or four people after me, and DC wasn't even around. And you can be over the cap with the roster rules as they are right now; have to be under tomorrow (and I will be).

Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #272
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. my owner lowered his season expectations for me a ton.. I only have to play .500 ball.. Kind of un-nerving.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #273
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow.. my owner lowered his season expectations for me a ton.. I only have to play .500 ball.. Kind of un-nerving.

Sheesh, can we trade owners? Mine says I should reach the playoffs. Jeez, does he have any idea how much I overachieved last season?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #274
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Hmmm.. guess my last export didn't go through after all.. my spring training stuff wasn't set.. and it went with my export from earlier today. Ahh well, with the night I've had no telling why.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM   #275
magic_number
Mascot

Quote:

Well, just do as expected & all will be swell...
Those poor, timid spirits
Who know neither
Victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt - 1899
------------------------------
Compton Brothers (Since 1973)
magic_number is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #276
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmmm.. guess my last export didn't go through after all.. my spring training stuff wasn't set.. and it went with my export from earlier today. Ahh well, with the night I've had no telling why.

That blows. Wonder what happened there? I am guessing you didn't get any error messages with the late export?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #277
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That blows. Wonder what happened there? I am guessing you didn't get any error messages with the late export?

I honestly got home an hour later than I had planned, was an hour late on running the sim for BB-BBCF, came in found people posting rediculously off reasons to vote for me in a werewolf game, and had this to do. Then my wife freaked out because there was a dead mouse down in our furnace room that I had to go take care of, and then I still had to make myself dinner.....

So among all of that, I bet I just forgot to hit export to ftp after making my changes.. That seems the most logical guess... No big deal though.. just means I'm going to be taking some wild guesses this year on some players that may blow up in my face, or may work out well.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #278
Anthony
Banned

1B Jason Curtis is available. signed to a decent contract. looking for a SP, i can package rookie SP Manny Lopez along with Curtis if you wanna get nasty.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #279
TimGuru
High School Varsity

My number 2 and 3 hitters didn't hit much in ST and 3 of my starters had ERAs I need to take my shoes off to count to, and I still won about as many as I lost. If the SPs get their act together, this could be a nice year for the fans of NY.

Good luck y'all. Kids over tomorrow evening, won't be around until after the sim (possibly Saturday morning). Exported.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #280
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

The rule has always been -- since the first year -- that cap check comes on the Friday night AFTER the sim gets processed. This is a fast sim league, no point in trying to do crazy things to check the cap all of the time and dropping the hammer.

As for the deadline, it is what it is. The reason it's porous is because it's such a fast league that life happens and I realize -- just given how many folks drop out because it's too fast -- that this is a very unorthodox and demanding way to play, even if you could be casual about it and take 15 minutes a night to sim/export.

So that's some background.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #281
kaosfere
College Prospect

just to catch up on back chat: I usually set a draft list of 20 or so and let the AI handle the rest. This year I was going out drinking and let the AI do it all. And I got a crapload of SPs too. Thanks, AI!

I always use ST forAAA try outs. Usually have close to a 40 man roster and let my spects battle even for unavailable spots. Let's me see how they do against tougher talent. (of cours lots of other folks do this too so you have to take it with a grain of salt)

More when I'm not on the iPhone.
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #282
kaosfere
College Prospect

dola

And I like this league because it's laid back and flexible. No one seems like a cheat or exploiter. Be cool.
SBL:
Old 09-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #283
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
dola

And I like this league because it's laid back and flexible. No one seems like a cheat or exploiter. Be cool.

agreed. I think everyone here at some point is gonna ask for one extension at some time or an other due to our time frames, so im always good with people needing more time or whatever.

DC was nice and prolonged the sim about 15-20 mins for me last Friday due to me having to handle an incidnet on campus in which the cops were needed.
I was grateful for that and was expecting a few posts about it, but no one did thankfully, and I think that goes back to everyone just understands how it is around here. IMO we have a good group of guys and Teach which mesh well. I cant complain at all.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #284
kaosfere
College Prospect

34 million for Bob Arnold?
SBL:
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM   #285
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

Honestly, I thought about doing it too. I however didnt want to get stuck with that contract in the future, so I thought about just doing like 11 mil over 1 season, and then realized I had no idea where he would play.

For people like me that struck out in FA this year, and have money left over to burn, and have a guy that has had a lot of sucess, might as well right?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #286
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Well hopefully my export took as I am off on training this weekend. I should be back in time for the classic in the very highly unlikely chance we make it that far. GL to everyone this season.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #287
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Honestly, I thought about doing it too. I however didnt want to get stuck with that contract in the future, so I thought about just doing like 11 mil over 1 season, and then realized I had no idea where he would play.

For people like me that struck out in FA this year, and have money left over to burn, and have a guy that has had a lot of sucess, might as well right?

I decided to do something similar with Bob Arnold, but not to the level of money you were talking. He isn't a bad player, his 40+ VORP three seasons in a row means that he is well above the league average first baseman. Arnold is also only the second player in Valdosta's history who has played more than 1 consecutive season at first base.

Only reason I didn't pay him the money isn't because he is not a good player, I have no complaints about him and as long as he is used correctly, he should continue it (he is only 26 years old). I didn't re-sign him or try to keep him because I have so many other 1st basemen just as good waiting to try for the position. If I could have gotten him back cheaply, its better to go with a known than an unknown, but his pricetag was too rich for my blood, so I'll experiment elsewhere this year. (insert mumbles about not getting spring training in to actually figure out who I wanted there)

Old 09-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #288
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Lots of activity on here today....LET"S RUN THE SIM NOW!!!

Uggg...I'm impatient today. I have a feeling this could be my year!! My window is open now. I figure I have 3 years before my young cheap players become young expensive ones, and I have to start picking and choosing.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #289
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post

Uggg...I'm impatient today. I have a feeling this could be my year!! My window is open now. I figure I have 3 years before my young cheap players become young expensive ones, and I have to start picking and choosing.

I think there is alot of competition in the CL. I think you're going to be a contender, but also think you have to watch out for Atlanta or Toronto. I'm not sure if Brooklyn or Texas will be able to contend, but I don't think they will be pushovers, and RioGrande has a very nice lineup but no pitching, so they are actually like a RL team in the CL. (sorry, got my dig in at the RL there)

That said, I do think Baltimore looks like the favorite going in this season in the CL.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #290
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

You wanna know the truth? I needed a DH, he was available and I don't plan to keep him for the life of the contract. But I figured he'd be the difference between respectability and a last place finish.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I needed to replace the offensive guys I've had in the past few years, he has some history with us and if he can hit 20 HRs in the CL, surely he can hit that many in the RL, if not more.

Also, he's young as Alan mentioned and that's an asset on a club like mine where all I seem to have is youngsters. He'll fit well, I think.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-26-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #291
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post

I'm rooting for you to bring the Terps back to prominence. I'd love to see a Hartford v. Baltimore Classic. It'd be a real throwback to the old days of FOOL with teams like that at the top.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #292
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I think there is alot of competition in the CL. I think you're going to be a contender, but also think you have to watch out for Atlanta or Toronto. I'm not sure if Brooklyn or Texas will be able to contend, but I don't think they will be pushovers, and RioGrande has a very nice lineup but no pitching, so they are actually like a RL team in the CL. (sorry, got my dig in at the RL there)

That said, I do think Baltimore looks like the favorite going in this season in the CL.

Stop kidding yourself. Valdosta is the presumptive favorite. AGAIN. You guys are quickly going from the Cardinals to the Yankees. You don't spend like the Bronx Bombers, but after I sent Mac to you....that officially signaled your move into Yankeedom.

I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em, sorry.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #293
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Stop kidding yourself. Valdosta is the presumptive favorite. AGAIN. You guys are quickly going from the Cardinals to the Yankees. You don't spend like the Bronx Bombers, but after I sent Mac to you....that officially signaled your move into Yankeedom.

I actually was waiting for that comparison after that trade and thought I might be able to slip through without it being made I still don't think it fits since I rarely ever sign big names in Free agency!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #294
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I actually was waiting for that comparison after that trade and thought I might be able to slip through without it being made I still don't think it fits since I rarely ever sign big names in Free agency!

That's because you've got most of your guys locked under big contracts and because of our cap rules.

The Yankees had a core of players they developed too like Posada, Bernie, Jeter, etc., which got them into a position to add those other guys and build a winner.

You're heading into your Yankee phase now. Don't deny it, it's okay. We'll just start calling you "Alan The Boss" in these parts.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #295
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's because you've got most of your guys locked under big contracts and because of our cap rules.

The Yankees had a core of players they developed too like Posada, Bernie, Jeter, etc., which got them into a position to add those other guys and build a winner.

You're heading into your Yankee phase now. Don't deny it, it's okay. We'll just start calling you "Alan The Boss" in these parts.

For fun, who would be my "Red Sox" then in the CL? Would that be Atlanta?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #296
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
For fun, who would be my "Red Sox" then in the CL? Would that be Atlanta?

Yes, especially with Chief there.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #297
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, especially with Chief there.

I thought graygoose was a pretty good manager too. I go way back with Chief, but I don't think his moving there really raised the level of ability at the helm. I was glad to see no steep decline when GG left by Chief taking over.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #298
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I thought graygoose was a pretty good manager too. I go way back with Chief, but I don't think his moving there really raised the level of ability at the helm. I was glad to see no steep decline when GG left by Chief taking over.

No no no. I didn't mean to imply there was an upgrade at the helm. GG did a hell of a job there when there wasn't much left on that team and turned them into a formidable club.

I was thinking of Chief because he's got a few rings under his name (having played in the 'easier' RL) and because it's akin to what happened in Boston, when the new regime came in and all of a sudden they started winning titles.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #299
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

HA HA i love it!!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #300
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Exactly...Valdosta is always written in pen as the favorite. All the rest of us can do is hope to make them work for it, and with a lot of luck upset them!
I can only hope that M-Ras brings a large destructive ego into the dressing room!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets