Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #101
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Raise your hand if you thought that #5 Atlanta starter Juan Matos would be an All Star while Doyle Adams, Craig Davis and Miguel Vazquez stayed at gome, or that Bartolo Guzman would be a Firecracker All Star while Carlos Vazquez and Edgardo Reyes would sit it out?

Not I, that's for sure.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #102
kaosfere
College Prospect

Sig updated for the season. Back below .500 again.

I guess there's always next week!
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #103
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
When i say a man is the 3rd best SS in the league I mean it!!! No false advertising here

Come on ha ha

Hey maybe the game knows stuff that we dont have access to yet??? lol
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #104
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
YES!!!!!!! Now i get to look forward to the file for another reason...

Sorry DC, im just gonna assume it didnt work out well for you???

Hard to say. Probably not, in the sense that I almost finished .500 running a 6 man rotation. If I could've got my top starters more starts, would I have finished over .500? It's hard to say, but I'd lean towards yes. So I don't think it was a disaster, especially compared to how it could've gone.

My lineup was full of kids, so really, I'll take whatever we can get. I did some strategic judo this year and took like the hour or two to really study my team and make account for our strengths and weaknesses and it seems clear to me that it paid off. I mean, I could be deluded into believing if I'd kept Yarbrough and Gonzales this year, that we would've won 85 games or so. I just knew that 85 games wouldn't win us a pennant against that steamroller you've got going, so I decided to take things apart.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hey, that Bob Arnold fella made the AS team. I guess that worked out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #106
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And yes, the file is uploading. It's at 24%
Old 09-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #107
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What I am happy about is that I still have a lot of talent developing and coming. It's always easy to get dispirited when you don't win or when you see how dominant a team like Valdosta is, but I think my team is pretty good already, and it's going to get better. I am immensely glad we don't have to wait more than a week between seasons.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM   #108
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Yes it sure looks like it did. Now the question is will anyone trade for him so that Cringer can get some cap relief?

You have any decent offers on Payton this season?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #109
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
I am immensely glad we don't have to wait more than a week between seasons.

+1000
SBL:
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #110
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Sig updated for the season. Back below .500 again.

I guess there's always next week!

The beauty of our league Kaos.... Gotta love it. Wonder how Summers did for you this year... Was hoping he would boost that "O" to levels we havent seen before....
Old 09-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #111
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Wonder how Summers did for you this year... Was hoping he would boost that "O" to levels we havent seen before....

Honestly, I suspect my pitching got utterly brutalized, and that was our downfall. We'll see when the file's up, I guess.
SBL:
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #112
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Well, it turned out to be a smart move for me. I mean, if he had to play somewhere, might as well have been for me. He's still so young and Alan turned him into a ballplayer that I figured that even though he's making more money than I'd like, my other options were so woeful that I didn't see the point in not throwing some cash at him.

This is the off-season where I evolved. I mean, I took a team that was stuck in neutral and rather than be content with finishing in the middle of the pack 3 years after winning a title, I just sucked up my pride and made a calculated bet. Now naturally we've got a lot of work to do to get where we wanna be, but...I think I enjoyed this season way more than most, because my expectations were exceeded and I imagine that watching this team night in and night out would've been a lot of fun, because they clearly had gusto and I like that.

54%
Old 09-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #113
muns
Pro Starter

what the hell i say cringer for??? my bad
Old 09-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #114
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Well, it turned out to be a smart move for me. I mean, if he had to play somewhere, might as well have been for me. He's still so young and Alan turned him into a ballplayer that I figured that even though he's making more money than I'd like, my other options were so woeful that I didn't see the point in not throwing some cash at him.

This is the off-season where I evolved. I mean, I took a team that was stuck in neutral and rather than be content with finishing in the middle of the pack 3 years after winning a title, I just sucked up my pride and made a calculated bet. Now naturally we've got a lot of work to do to get where we wanna be, but...I think I enjoyed this season way more than most, because my expectations were exceeded and I imagine that watching this team night in and night out would've been a lot of fun, because they clearly had gusto and I like that.

54%

With Arnold, im waiting to see what offers you get for Mendoza now.... See who you can turn around to make more of the young push...
Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 PM   #115
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Raise your hand if you thought that #5 Atlanta starter Juan Matos would be an All Star while Doyle Adams, Craig Davis and Miguel Vazquez stayed at gome, or that Bartolo Guzman would be a Firecracker All Star while Carlos Vazquez and Edgardo Reyes would sit it out?

Not I, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan
Colorado sends

SP Juan Matos
MR Steve Cash

Atlanta sends

2B Rich Haas

Thanks for doing business with your old team, Chief. I needed some good hitting vs righties, and have a potential hole opening in the middle of my defense he'll plug into nicely. Hopefully he sticks around for a while. Matos and Cash got lost on my depth charts, but should perform well, epsecially if Matos lives up to some of that potential. Knowing CR, Cash will probably have 50 saves and Matos will be pitcher of the year next season, and Haas will decide to hang them up after this year ;- )

ehem

pretty darn close on Matos there ;- )

Bastard ;- )
Old 09-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #116
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
ehem

Bastard ;- )

That my friend was funny
Old 09-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #117
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
With Arnold, im waiting to see what offers you get for Mendoza now.... See who you can turn around to make more of the young push...

No one makes offers. I'm amenable to deals, but no one really makes offers. Chicago is like a piggy bank. Work with us, it worked for Valdosta and Hartford.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

54%

Yup, I hear ya. I made that same decision last year. Keep Ortiz, Barajas, Matthews, Reyes, Vazquez and maybe take a stab at the top, but more likely stay mired in mediocrity. But I could keep respectable for that stretch, too, instead of going into a total rebuild where I would suck.

Actually, if I had moved Reyes and Vazquez, I probably would have had that phenomenally bad season last year, but maybe would be further on my way this year to getting back to the Classic.

So I'm not sure if I am in a better place or not.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No one makes offers. I'm amenable to deals, but no one really makes offers. Chicago is like a piggy bank. Work with us, it worked for Valdosta and Hartford.

Well, yeah, you pretty much gave away Mac.

No, I don't buy Alan's reasoning on the MR.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #120
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up
Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #121
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yup, I hear ya. I made that same decision last year. Keep Ortiz, Barajas, Matthews, Reyes, Vazquez and maybe take a stab at the top, but more likely stay mired in mediocrity. But I could keep respectable for that stretch, too, instead of going into a total rebuild where I would suck.

Actually, if I had moved Reyes and Vazquez, I probably would have had that phenomenally bad season last year, but maybe would be further on my way this year to getting back to the Classic.

So I'm not sure if I am in a better place or not.

ohhhh thats a good question Chief, didnt even think about that.... those 2 would have affected that record in a big way I bet....
Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #122
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
ehem

Bastard ;- )

Well, maybe Haas is like #2 or #3 in batting in the RL? And Cash didn't even make my roster (although he might next year if I find a way to bring him back).

Funny thing is that Matos was really more of a toss in, an equalizer. That trade talk started around my desire to acquire Cash. Go figure.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #123
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wow, pretty shocked at the results.. Big congrats to muns, I know you've been working for this for a while. I can't root for you in the classic obviously, but I won't be too upset if you beat me in it.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #124
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

he didnt want him coming back to hartford jk

What do you mean on the MR chief?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #125
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
he didnt want him coming back to hartford jk

What do you mean on the MR chief?

That the MR actually was a starting pitcher in disguise who could have a pretty nice career ahead of him.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #126
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

That trade boiled down to this. I wanted a young prospect pitcher. No one really had any other than Hartford and he wasn't giving any up (rightfully so, he didn't need Mac or his salary...) and Valdosta had the #2 pitching prospect (not rated #2, just the 2nd highest rated pitcher at the time) in the league. I don't really buy his logic on the middle reliever who I can convert either, but Laghario allowed me to close the chapter on the original Mac trade and it clearly didn't hurt us.

And if I didn't trade him to a willing buyer (he approached me) I would've finished in 4th with him, still would've had his contract and he'd be a year older and less valuable and I'd have gotten what I got or worse than I got last year.

So yea, it was a weak trade, but...it wasn't like I was being bowled over for offers.

I don't honestly think I'll make anymore trades actually. I like what I have right now and don't really need to make any moves to get better at this point via trade. Our entire lineup was acquired that way save for two players, we need to do improve our rotation and then keep piling it on in other ways, our kids will develop and we'll do what we do.

I'm excited to see it unfold.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-26-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #127
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Wow, pretty shocked at the results.. Big congrats to muns, I know you've been working for this for a while. I can't root for you in the classic obviously, but I won't be too upset if you beat me in it.

and as always another amazing season by you..... For my first classic im actually glad its you... That way if you do beat me I wont me too too upset, and if by chance I would beat you, i beat the best.....

Kinda get the best of both worlds here
Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 PM   #128
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
That the MR actually was a starting pitcher in disguise who could have a pretty nice career ahead of him.

ahhh I get ya. How was the movie?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #129
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Geez

I love this, because we have a standard of excellence in which future generations of teams will seek to aspire and we can all talk about we came close to beating them. Columbus and Ann Arbor can actually cite beating them.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-26-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #130
muns
Pro Starter

boy did my pen shit the bed
Old 09-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #131
kaosfere
College Prospect

Batting Average: .252 - 8th in CL

Summers batted .250.

I'm telling you. Bats come here to die.
SBL:
Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #132
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ahhh I get ya. How was the movie?

Was good. My wife picked out "My best friend's girl" which I figured would be some boring snoozefest, but it was pretty funny. I was laughing alot during it.

Looking through the season, i can't complain about my pitching, but on the hitting side, some of the young guys majorly exceeded expectations.. wonder if it is a 1 time fluke or good sign of things to come..

Catcher Jon Davis hit .346 (.882 OPS)
1B Yang-Cheng Yang (yeah I know, great name) hit .277 (.811 OPS)
2B Cary Andrew hit .319 (.872 OPS)
2B Jose Negrete hit .292 (.871 OPS)
SS Kendrick Hayes hit .307 (.756 OPS)
LF Chris Drew hit .304 (.822 OPS)

and ......

Red Headed Stepchild hit .323 (.858 OPS)

I guess the throw everything against the wall and see what sticks approach worked out well.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #133
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Batting Average: .252 - 8th in CL

Summers batted .250.

I'm telling you. Bats come here to die.

Damn does that hurt
Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #134
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Geez

I love this, because we have a standard of excellence in which future generations of teams will seek to aspire and we can all talk about we came close to beating them. Columbus and Ann Arbor can actually cite beating them.

Beware Columbus.. I hear if you win, your team folds and moves to a new town!!

Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So yea, it was a weak trade, but...it wasn't like I was being bowled over for offers.

Well of course you weren't. I don't recall you even saying he was available.

You dealt him on a quiet Saturday before we even got to the Classic.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #136
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I gotta say, we had a hell of an unorthodox setup this year. No setup, no closer and 4 relievers who basically took turns closing. 5th best bullpen ERA in the RL this year. I'm really pleased. Especially since none of these guys are reall standout arms.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #137
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well of course you weren't. I don't recall you even saying he was available.

You dealt him on a quiet Saturday before we even got to the Classic.

I posted it in that thread. Alan was just proactive, saw the post and jumped on it. It's okay. It's a trade the Yankees would've made and the more I can tie Alan to the Evil Empire, the more I laugh.

Silva, the kid I got from him is a young hurler and I got exactly what I wanted.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-26-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #138
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oops.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #139
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Anyone notice that the games for the 15th of September didn't get played?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #140
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Man, what do you know? It was my pitching that did me in. I was middle of the pack in pitching, which is very uncharacteristic for me. Davis splurged all his $9 M in cash his first year with an atrocious 4.94 ERA.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:29 PM   #141
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Anyone notice that the games for the 15th of September didn't get played?

Does that mean you can start Prado after all?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:30 PM   #142
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Can I win about 40 games on September 15th? If not it's not a big deal to me.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #143
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Does that mean you can start Prado after all?

Yes, it does mean that. And I will do it and then upload a new file.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #144
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Might be good to sim that last game so the pitching orders aren't all messed up for the classic

Old 09-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #145
kaosfere
College Prospect

I think it's time for a fire sale. My current build just isn't working. With my hitter-adverse home park, I never should have gotten rid of the power pitching I had. I've been chasing something I shouldn't have been, and it's hurt.
SBL:
Old 09-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #146
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Can I win about 40 games on September 15th? If not it's not a big deal to me.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:35 PM   #147
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Somewhere along the way when I didn't notice it, Joel Garner developed a 7th pitch.. lol....

Fastball, Sinker, Splitter, Slider, Changeup, Circle Change and the Cutter

I'm suprised he doesn't throw the vasoline ball like the pitcher from "Major League"

Old 09-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #148
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Might be good to sim that last game so the pitching orders aren't all messed up for the classic

Will do now.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #149
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Rio Grande with pretty much the worst pitching in the CL, not a huge surprise there I guess. My pitching is just horrible. A guy who would make a great #3 is my staff ace.

Todd Sparks led my team in ERA....with 3.89.

Last edited by Cringer : 09-26-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 PM   #150
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

About to do Prado's last start!