Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

1981 FOOL Classic: Toronto Osprey (91-63) vs Hartford Harpooners (106-48)

This is the 5th consecutive year that Hartford has reached the FOOL Classic. In the past four seasons, the CL has split the series 2 games each with Hartford. Toronto looks to make this the third victory for the CL over Hartford in the FOOL Classic as they have a score to settle themselves. Toronto lost its only FOOL Classic appearance in the team's history.

Reminder FOOL Classic starts at 11pm ET tonight

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
kaosfere
College Prospect

we have headed to a friend's place for dinner and such tonight. Might not be home by the Classic, but if not will continue to check in by phone!
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
muns
Pro Starter

ive exported and am ready to roll... Good luck Kaos!!
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Pike
H.S. Freshman Team

Good Luck you guys, should be a great series!

But I gotta pull for my RL brother, go MUNS!

(Kinda like rooting for the sun to come up tomorrow, but hey)

Last edited by Pike : 10-26-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
Tasan
College Starter

I'm torn. There's my sig, of course, but Toronto beat me out on some free agents in the past and don't sit to high with me.

Go random earthquake?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I need to go and work out tonight, so I won't be able to hang for the Classic. Woulda done it earlier, but with family plans, a live basketball draft and today's trade activity, no chance today til now.

I am rooting for kaos and the CL, of course, but mostly just hope it's a better Classic than ,y squad gave us last year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
kaosfere
College Prospect

heading home now. Should be in about twenty past. Alan, muns, mind waiting. If so, is ok.
SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
heading home now. Should be in about twenty past. Alan, muns, mind waiting. If so, is ok.

You should be in time. Before the sim starts, I need to post info regarding the league penalties and such.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

im good with waiting, I think its only fair... You got here
Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Here are the official penalties for violating various league rules. They are being posted so everyone knows what to expect regarding future violations:

(For illegal contract signings)
All contract extensions containing an illegal incentive are automatically nullified.

1st offense - Contract extension violations receive no penalty but the contract extension is nullified. Free agent contract violations can be nullified prior to the start of the season if the owner wishes and receive no penalty. Otherwise the following penalty is enforced: 1 million dollar reduction in salary cap for the following season (ie: team would be limited to a $64mil cap the next year only).

2nd offense - 1 million dollar reduction in salary cap per offense.

3rd offense and on - 1 million dollar reduction in salary cap plus the loss of the next season 1st round pick.

(penalties for salary cap overage):
applied only at the start of the season.

1st offense - Loss of a 3rd round pick the next draft.

2nd offense - Loss of a 2nd round pick the next draft.

3rd offense and on - Loss of a 1st round pick the next draft.

(penalties for budget deficit):
Applied for deficits post-playoffs.

1st offense - 1 million dollar deficit or your current year's deficit to begin the next season (which ever is less).

2nd offense - 1 million dollar deficit to start the next season.

3rd offense - 1 million dollar deficit to start the next season plus loss of 2nd round pick if deficit is below $5mil. If deficit is $5mil or more, the penalty should be 1 million dollar deficit to start the next season Plus the loss of a 1st round draft pick.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

There are two current threads that are important for all owners to read if they have not done so. The thread regarding Thanksgiving scheduling and the thread regarding Playoff expansion both should be reviewed in case any owner has an issue with either topic.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I am getting exports now and by the time I get through dealing with the VL and other leagues, kaosfere should be around.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

No exports from Colorado, Columbus or San Diego.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

1B Riley Hollis (Baltimore) has retired

Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game 1 of the FOOL Classic

SP Julio Martinez starts for Toronto. He went 18-5 with a 1.95 ERA this season.

For Hartford, Dylan Robinson will be taking the mound. This season he won 20 games and lost 11 with a 3.24 ERA.

We'll give kaos a few more minutes and then start this game up

Old 10-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #16
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Good luck to both FOOL Classic combatants, I respect ya both and wish you both well. Kumbaya.

See everyone tomorrow night. Back to reality for me (work on my regular schedule instead of the mess that was last week), already way past my bedtime.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #17
kaosfere
College Prospect

I'm here. Thanks for waiting!

Let's get the party started!

*assumes the position*
SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
Tasan
College Starter

It felt weird not exporting, but I really had nothing to do.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
Tasan
College Starter

I predict muns in 6. Sorry kaos.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #20
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game 1 starts out pretty dull with a 1-2-3 top of the 1st inning. The bottom of the inning is entirely different however. Walls starts off the inning for the Harpooners with a triple and scores on an Anderson groundball out to the second baseman. Later in the inning three singles in a row by Baker, Yamazaki and Miller score Baker from third for the second run of the game. After 1 inning, Hartford leads 2-0.

Another 1-2-3 inning in the top of the second inning for Toronto leads to the wheels completely falling off of the wagon in the bottom of the inning. Martinez walks Vazquez, gives up a single to Harmon, Walls then reaches base while bunting thanks to an error by the Osprey catcher which scores a run for Hartford. Anderson hits a deep fly ball to right field for the first out of the inning but another run scores. 4-0 Hartford. McGill comes up and hits an RBI single which signals the end of the day for Martinez. He has given up 5 runs thus far in only 1 1/3 innings with several other runners on base that are acredited to him.

J. Miller comes in to try to calm the fire, and gets Baker to ground out to the first baseman, but Yamazak hits a single and Watkins follows with another single to score two more runs. After two innings Hartford leads 7-0.

Game 1 continues along those lines, well under control for Hartford as they cruise to an easy victory 12-4 to start off the series with a bang. Robinson gets the win, Martinez gets the loss. McGill hit the only Home run for the game.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #21
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

In Game two, Manny Lopez will try to turn the series around for the Osprey. He went 14-11 with a 2.36 ERA this season in Toronto.

Hartford counters with the 22 year old Billy Smith whom set a FOOL record with 25 victories this season!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

There's a rousing start...
Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #23
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post

That's about what I'm predicting, too, Tasan.

And, ow! What a way to start!
SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #24
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post

Which means im gonna loose . I think the favored teams loose like some 70%(just a guess) of the time... Alan did you first say something about that a few months ago? I didnt want to put words in your mouth if you did, but I thought you posted something about that (without a number)?
Old 10-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #25
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

While Toronto once again is unable to score in the top of the 1st inning, at least this time they keep Hartford in control during the bottom of the first, facing only three batters. The top of the second however is Toronto's turn to strike. Brown flies out for the first out of the inning, but then Lujan walks on four pitches. Meyer bunts him over to second where he is able to score on a Mata single . Carr follows that with a single of his own to put two runners on base for a Horswill three run Home run! Toronto strikes first, leading 4-0 after one and a half innings.

Hartford is unable to answer in the bottom of the inning and Toronto smells blood in the water. The top of the third starts out with an out to lead off the inning, but then Morgan reaches on a walk. Brown tries to bunt him over, but the pitcher boots it, everyone is safe! Lujan is up with two on and only one out but he swings through the 1-2 pitch for a strikeout. Meyer will not make the same mistake and he hits a hard ground ball single through the hole at Shortstop which scores two! Brown scores all the way from first on a close play at the plate. That is enough for the Hartford manager, and muns comes out to send Smith to the showers. He brings in Vitaliev who promptly strikes out Mata to end the inning. Not before Toronto takes a quick 6-0 lead however after two and one half innings.....

Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 PM   #26
kaosfere
College Prospect

Wow. High-scoring series so far.

I hope Lopez can do some poonercide here.
SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #27
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

A team does not win one hundred plus games during the season however by just rolling over when things get tough... In the bottom of the third, Watkins starts things off with a ground ball single through the hole at second. Vazquez bunts him over to second when Harmon hits a ball deep deep to Right center field! The ball is not quite high enough to clear the fence, but it takes an odd bounce off of the wall and Harmon scoots into third base easily, scoring Watkins to make the game 6-1. Walls fouls off two pitches before grounding a ball between 1st and second to score the second run of the inning! Anderson bunts him to second for McGill to come up to bat. McGill led humankind in RBIs this season, and this is a big place for his bat... The first pitch comes in and Lopez grips it too tightly throwing it juuuuuuuuuust a bit outside... as it hits the backstop and Walls rushes over to third. Lopez deals the 1-0 pitch to Mcgill who hits the ball HARD right at the shortstop for an easy 6-3 poutout. After three, Toronto leads 6-2.

The next inning and a half is eventless until the bottom of the 5th when once again Watkins leads off the inning with a bang. He swings through the first pitch, but he gets all of the second one, sending it 395 feet over the Left-center field wall to cut the lead to 6-3.

The pitchers get control of the game and no more runs score through 7 innings... Toronto is leading 6-3 entering the top of the 8th..

Old 10-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #28
muns
Pro Starter

Love the write ups Alan... Makes it pretty damn fun!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #29
kaosfere
College Prospect

And nervewracking!

If I can hold on to the lead and come out of 'poonerville 1-1, I'll be very happy. It's going to be interesting to see what my pitchers do at home. I put the weaker half of my rotation on the bump in Toronto, thinking my park would help contain the explosive Pooner offense. We'll see if it works...
SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #30
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Vitaliev is still pitching in the top of the 8th for Hartford, he has done his job well since he has entered the game. He starts off the 8th by striking out Lujan, but then Meyer hits a double off of him. Muns does not want to let Mata bat with first base open so orders an intentional walk. Somehow even though there was a runner already on second, Mata is thrown out trying to steal second. Toronto may need to work on base running drills during the offseason... Carr meanwhiles lines a single to right field which scores Lujan. Horswill follows with a single of his own, but not one that is hit deep enough to score anyone. Loiselle ends up striking out for the third out of the inning, stranding two runners on base. What might have been a big inning ended up only netting one run for the Osprey. They still lead 7-3 however!

Hartford answers immediately in the bottom of the 8th. Anderson suprises everyone as he bunts for a hit and makes it to first base safely! McGill lines a single to left field and Baker hits into a fielder's choice at 2nd, but Anderson makes it to third. Yamazaki hits a ball to the first baseman who decides to get the sure out, allowing Anderson to score. After 8 innings 7-4 Toronto.

Toronto goes down 1-2-3 in the top of the 9th, so Hartford comes to bat with the game on the line... THey will be facing McDonald who comes in to try to save the game for Toronto. He is greeted rudely by none other than Watkins whom hits a solo bomb to cut the lead to 7-5. Booker and Tamura both pinch hit and fly out, leaving it up to Walls... He works the count full, but can't pull the trigger on a McDonald curveball and strikes out looking to end the game.

Toronto has tied up the series 1 game each!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #31
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game three sees both teams travel to Toronto for the first time this series. Hartford will be pitching 24-8 Jorge Aquino, while Toronto counters with former Hartford farmhand David Simpson. Simpson only managed 6 wins and 9 losses during the regular season, but his 3.10 ERA indicates that it was his lack of run support that was his undoing during the season. Toronto did not even score 2 runs a game this season in games that Simpson pitched.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:00 PM   #32
muns
Pro Starter

great game KAOS...... I was hoping that whackiness didnt kill everything... Glad to see that it didnt.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

In a series that has been rather high scoring thus far, this game is exactly the opposite. Quite a masterpiece is pitched by both pitchers. Through 7 innings the score is still 0-0 and both starting pitchers remain in the game.

The top of the 8th is uneventful as Hartford goes down 1-2-3, but the bottom of the 8th sees the first score of the game. With one out, Loiselle doubles to Right-center, and Wilson follows that up with a double of his own. Toronto leads after 8 innings!

Toronto manager kaosfere decides to let Simpson stay in to pitch the ninth and try for a complete game shut out. Thus far he has only allowed 2 hits and 1 walk the entire game! Will this go down as one of the best pitching displays of FOOL Classic history or will it go down as a Grady Little type managerial mistake??

Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #34
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
great game KAOS...... I was hoping that whackiness didnt kill everything... Glad to see that it didnt.

Yep, me, too.

Now, if you let me have this next one, I'll give you #4....

SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #35
kaosfere
College Prospect

dola,

Ahhh, there's the good old Atlantic Gardens killing the scoring. Way to go, Simpson! Man, I hope he can hang in for three more outs...
SBL:

Last edited by kaosfere : 10-26-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #36
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yep, me, too.

Now, if you let me have this next one, I'll give you #4....

HA HA....
Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #37
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Baker pinch hits to lead off the top of the 9th for Hartford. He starts with a poor hit that barely makes it to the pitcher. Simpson needs to hurry, but his throw is not in time! Baker beat out the throw for a single. Morgan now pinch hits for the Harpooners, but fouls off his first bunt attempt. He gets the second one down and moves Baker over to second base. Anderson is up now, and Simpson sets his sites on getting Anderson out, when Baker takes off with the first pitch. He stole that one on the pitcher and takes third easily. This rattles Simpson and he ends up walking Anderson to put runners on first and third with only one out.

Kaosfere has seen enough and does a double swap. He brings in Tsou to play third base, and brings McDonald in to try to close out the game. A little too late however as Yamazaki greets a 1-1 fastball by smashing it to the wall in centerfield for a double. Baker scores from third, but Anderson is not able to make it all the way from first. He stops at third, to leave runners at second and third. The game however is all tied up 1-1 with only 1 out. Who else to bat other than McGill of course. He watches the first pitch for a ball, but the next pitch he likes and hits it deep to Right field.. back.. back.. back... Caught at the warning track! It is deep enough however for Anderson to score easily after tagging up with no throw. Hartford leads 2-1 with two outs. Booker grounds a ball to the pitcher where McDonald throws easily to first to get the third out of the inning, but the damage has been done.. Hartford has taken the lead.

Muns decides to not make the same mistake and pulls Aquino to start the inning. Hennessey comes in to close out the game. Horswill lines out to the shortstop. Reed pinch hits and grounds out to third... Two outs and Tsou comes up to bat.. Needing a hit.. what does he do?? He Bunts!

He races down the line, trying to beat out the throw, but is not in time.. the first baseman throws to the second baseman whom had wheeled over to cover first for the out.. Hartford takes the win and leads the series two games to one.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #38
kaosfere
College Prospect

SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #39
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Artie Wiley takes to the mound for Hartford in game four. Wiley, like every one else who pitched for Hartford this season won more than 20 games. Victor Gonzalez will be pitching for Toronto and posted a 12-7 record himself this season with a 3.10 ERA.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #40
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

That game was just nutty....
Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #41
kaosfere
College Prospect

Time to welcome Wiley back to Toronto with some shelling...
SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #42
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

The first inning of game four is uneventful, but Hartford strikes first in the second inning thanks to a Sanchez RBI single. Toronto responds in the bottom of the second with a Lujan solo home run to tie the game up 1-1.

Hartford does not score in the top of the third, but the bottom of the third is nice for Toronto. Carr leads off with a single and is bunted to second by Gonzalez. Meyer singles, moving Carr to third, runners on first and third. Loiselles trikes out swinging, but Wilson then lines a double over the thirdbaseman which scores Carr from third. Meyer is unable to score on the play, which however ends up being meaningless as Morgan steps up and tatoos a line drive to RIght field that barely clears the fence for a three run home run!

Toronto takes the lead 5-1 after the third and Hartford is unable to score again until the ninth. Toronto cruises to an easy win 7-2 to Tie up the series two games a piece. Gonzalez gets the win, Wiley takes the loss. Templeman gets the save. The series now heads back to Hartford all knotted up!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #43
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game five is a rematch of the game 1 pitchers. Martinez thus far this FOOL Classic is 0-1 for Toronto with a 20.26 ERA this series. Lets see if his luck improves in game five!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #44
kaosfere
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Martinez thus far this FOOL Classic is 0-1 for Toronto with a 20.26 ERA this series. Lets see if his luck improves in game five!

Martinez can do this, I have faith.

He was just full of nerves going from being a reliever last year to starting game 1 of the Classic this year. He's over it now...
SBL:
Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 PM   #45
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game five does indeed go a bit different for Martinez. To start, his batters help provide him a little cushion in the top of the first thanks to a Wilson Solo home run for the quick 1-0 Toronto lead.

Hartford answers in the bottom of the third with a double by Walls and an RBI single from Baker to tie the game up at 1.

Hartford scores again in the bottom of the fifth with some small ball. Walls leads off with a single, and moves to second when Martinez Balks! Anderson grounds out to the shortstop but moves Walls over to third. He is able to score when McGill grounds out to the second baseman and Hartford takes a 2-1 lead.

The game remains close entering the bottom of the 7th. Padilla is pitching at this point for Toronto and Walls leads off with a double, and then steals third base! Anderson walks on five pitches to put runners on first and third with no outs for McGill. McGrill smashes the first pitch he sees right at the shortstop for the first out. Baker then smashes the fourth pitch he sees, but this one won't be caught.. a three run blast to right field!

With the 5-2 lead after 7, Toronto is never able to score again and that ends up being the final score of the game. Robinson gets his second win of the series and Martinez gets his second loss of the series. Hennessey gets his second save of the series for Hartford.

Hartford leads the series 3 games to 2!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #46
muns
Pro Starter

The series hasnt dissapointed thus far thats for sure!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:25 PM   #47
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game six is a Lopez vs Smith rematch from game two.

Both pitchers pitch scorelessly through three when in the top of the fourth, Toronto strikes. Wilson reaches first due to a passed ball on strike three. He then steals second AND third base which means he does not have as far to jog home when Morgan barely scrapes a ball over the right field fence for a 2 run homer to break the scoreless tie.

Lopez keeps Hartford scoreless until the bottom of the sixth. Walls starts things off with a single, reaches second on an Anderson Sac bunt and then steals third base. McGill grounds out to the shortstop, but Walls is able to score from third to cut the lead to 2-1 after six innings.

That score carries through until the bottom of the ninth, Lopez still scheduled to pitch with a 2-1 lead. He has thrown 106 pitches and only given up three hits thus far... will kaosfere leave him in to try to close out the game, or did he learn his lesson?

Old 10-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #48
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Kaosfere evidentally is not one to make the same mistake twice and he hands the ball over to McDonald to try to close this one out..

Baker leads off grounding out to the second baseman.
Yamazaki follows that with a fly out to the right fielder.
With the game on the line Miller comes to bat, takes one called strike and then hits the ball hard... right at the second baseman for out number three.

Toronto has won the game 2-1 to tie up the series 3-3 and send it back to Toronto for game 7!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #49
muns
Pro Starter

such a TEASE!!!!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #50
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Game seven features once again a rematch from game 3, which perhaps was the best pitched game thus far this series. Aquino vs Simpson