Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 PM   #101
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
yeah, it doesn't make sense about the disparity in talent. but i got playoffs in the league so i'm happy with that. i was the 1st to say that with all the human owners in this league who are also trying to field competitive teams it boggles the mind how one team can have such a large amount of talent, as if they were the only ones trying to win. i expect to see a team like Hartford if FOOL was a a 16 team league with Hartford being the only human-run organization. perhaps around the late 80's is when we'll see the ebb and flow to their talent level. they obviously can't keep the same players forever.

i think you're correct in the good players languishing on bad teams part. but that's more due to financials that allows a team that doesn't have a chance of winning to still keep veterans on the roster. in the real world if a GM feels his team is out of contention they'll trade a CC Sabathia or like the A's guys like Haren and Harden to save money and get something in return. there's no penalty to keeping good players on your cellar dwelling team.

there's not enough players looking to become FAs and cut off renogotiations with their teams. there should be more guys in their prime saying "thanks, but no thanks - i'm gonna become a free agent".

I agree. I think those life long AAAers should be more hesitant to sign an extension for a team that they have little hope of playing for. But we gotta play within the OOTP game so unless we want to create rules about re-signing AAA players and then manually check the teams eachg week to enforce those rules, there is lettle we can do. Which is unfortunate. I am a bad culprite of hoarding players too. I have players in AAA that could start on some teams, but as long as my budget allows it I am going to keep signing them to extensions. You never know what player may come in handy in a trade negotiation down the line.

As for Pooner nation, we have no-one to blame but ourselves. Muns is a master of the win-win trade. He moves star players while they still have value out for 4 prospects. Look at the Wiley deal. Chief wins because he gets Wiley, and Muns wins because he gets 4 prospects, and has a stud waiting from a previous win-win trade in AAA to slide into Wileys spot. It's the perfect system. The only way to stop this is a) luck, and his prospects fizzle or b) We stop trading with him, but seriously, who is going to pass up a chance to land a stud for a few prospects? I know I wouldn't.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #102
Anthony
Banned

i have banned trading with Hartford. it's a start. i don't think a team struggling to make the playoffs in real life would trade with the team on top of them, much like how the Red Sox don't trade with the Yankees or the Braves and Mets don't trade with each other. my thinking is if all roads lead through Hartford - i don't want to give them any guys that they can beat me with. put another way - i don't want to give my enemy the bullets he can use to shoot me with.

maybe we can make a rule where if a guy is in the last year of his contract and makes the All Star game you can't resign him to an extension. or maybe if he meets certain statistical criteria in his last season (like hits .300 that season or hits 20 HRs, etc) then he automatically becomes eligibile to be a free agent - no extensions allowed. something like that. otherwise i don't have a prob playing for 2nd best, anything can (hopefully) happen in the playoffs.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #103
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Check out 44yr old Christopher Larson on Boston

Christian Larsen and I have been hanging out on my various teams since 1965 when he joined me in St. Louis. He's been on all of my teams except maybe Compton.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #104
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My criticisms weren't aimed at Hartford. Valdosta was a juggernaut when Hartford stunk. So dynasties have been around the league for almost two decades now. Hartford benefitted from the rules of the league at that time and I tip my cap to the work Jeremy did assembling the most dominant team in league history. The Braves-Red Sox fusion club of New England are doing their best to make big things happen and no one has antied up in the RL yet, so I have no grips.

I'm almost always talking about structural changes and about freeing up the market in the league. I've always been an advocate of that, even when things were a lot more vibrant in the 60s.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #105
Anthony
Banned

i would say it's really the trading that keeps him on top. when it comes to FA we all have a 1/16 chance of signing a guy, if you really want a stud then you can offer as much as you want. so i don't think Hartford has the league beat in that area, i certainly have nabbed my share of very solid guys from free agency. it's trading that keeps his team stocked. it just takes enough people to say "you know what, i'm tired of seeing this team win so i'm not gonna deal with them, let them spend some time at the bottom now" and if you get enough of that sentiment then eventually the well runs dry and he doesn't have anymore studs in the farm to call up. he already has one less team in Long Island he can deal with so eventually more people will follow suit. i'd just feel better seeing the horizon for their success, as it is it's nowhere in sight .
Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #106
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
i have banned trading with Hartford. it's a start. i don't think a team struggling to make the playoffs in real life would trade with the team on top of them, much like how the Red Sox don't trade with the Yankees or the Braves and Mets don't trade with each other. my thinking is if all roads lead through Hartford - i don't want to give them any guys that they can beat me with. put another way - i don't want to give my enemy the bullets he can use to shoot me with.

maybe we can make a rule where if a guy is in the last year of his contract and makes the All Star game you can't resign him to an extension. or maybe if he meets certain statistical criteria in his last season (like hits .300 that season or hits 20 HRs, etc) then he automatically becomes eligibile to be a free agent - no extensions allowed. something like that. otherwise i don't have a prob playing for 2nd best, anything can (hopefully) happen in the playoffs.

Rule #1 of trading right there...That said, I HAVE made a deal with Atlanta, but it was small tinkering deal.

I don't have a problem with the top end talent resigning, I think we have a realistic ratio of stars in the FA pool, it's the guys looking for a crack at the show that keep resigning with a team even though they are #6 on the depth chart that bothers me.
I would never recomend any rule that would require outside policing. There is just too much to do in a fast season like this that it's not practicle.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 PM   #107
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Christian Larsen and I have been hanging out on my various teams since 1965 when he joined me in St. Louis. He's been on all of my teams except maybe Compton.

Oh I know...and I admire your loyalty!

If I wasn't a contending team I'd of signed CL Taylor Patrick again...I just could risk him having the ball in a critical game. (No I did NOT just say that out loud)

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 11-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #108
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
i would say it's really the trading that keeps him on top. when it comes to FA we all have a 1/16 chance of signing a guy, if you really want a stud then you can offer as much as you want. so i don't think Hartford has the league beat in that area, i certainly have nabbed my share of very solid guys from free agency. it's trading that keeps his team stocked. it just takes enough people to say "you know what, i'm tired of seeing this team win so i'm not gonna deal with them, let them spend some time at the bottom now" and if you get enough of that sentiment then eventually the well runs dry and he doesn't have anymore studs in the farm to call up. he already has one less team in Long Island he can deal with so eventually more people will follow suit. i'd just feel better seeing the horizon for their success, as it is it's nowhere in sight .

I agree with you totally. The deals he's made to pry top prospects from other teams to keep the well wet has been impressive. But that's the peril of the separate leagues. A CL guy can deal to an RL team, because they don't care. They get the talent, the dominant team retools and everyone wins.

Except the rest of us in the RL. It's brilliant tactics.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #109
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Rule #1 of trading right there...That said, I HAVE made a deal with Atlanta, but it was small tinkering deal.

I don't have a problem with the top end talent resigning, I think we have a realistic ratio of stars in the FA pool, it's the guys looking for a crack at the show that keep resigning with a team even though they are #6 on the depth chart that bothers me.
I would never recomend any rule that would require outside policing. There is just too much to do in a fast season like this that it's not practicle.

I don't believe in policing, really. I just bring up things because they're on the brain. Besides, we've gone in a such a different direction over the years that at this point, I figure nothing is truly off limits, it just depends on when you propose it.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #110
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Oh I know...and I admire your loyalty!

If I wasn't a contending team I'd of signed CL Taylor Patrick again...I just could risk him having the ball in a critical game. (No I did NOT just say that out loud)

Actually, I signed him because I want him to get 3,000 hits before he retires. He's not far away now, but he didn't get enough ABs last year to get it. I should've started him, but I must've forgotten to do it and so, he fell short. This year, I don't think I can afford to start him, so..I dunno what to do with him. But...we'll see.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #111
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I agree with you totally. The deals he's made to pry top prospects from other teams to keep the well wet has been impressive. But that's the peril of the separate leagues. A CL guy can deal to an RL team, because they don't care. They get the talent, the dominant team retools and everyone wins.

Except the rest of us in the RL. It's brilliant tactics.

Yup...there are 5 teams in the CL an Artie Wiley away from the playoffs. Of course we would restock Muns's talent pool for that edge! Plus we WANT Muns to win his division just cause we know how bad the Pooners' st!t the bed in the playoffs

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #112
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Actually, I signed him because I want him to get 3,000 hits before he retires. He's not far away now, but he didn't get enough ABs last year to get it. I should've started him, but I must've forgotten to do it and so, he fell short. This year, I don't think I can afford to start him, so..I dunno what to do with him. But...we'll see.

That is my reasoning behind Tanaka hanging around, the man just wants to get to 500 HRs. It won't happen at this point though as I kind of killed it by taking away full time starting from him a while ago.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #113
Anthony
Banned

i want Luke Crawford to get as many milestones as possible.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #114
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Hartford benefitted from the rules of the league at that time and I tip my cap to the work Jeremy did assembling the most dominant team in league history.

I'm not sure if they are the most dominante in league history. I would give that to Valdosta still, but they are most dominante in RL history.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #115
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well...Valdosta won 4 titles. Hartford can still get there.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #116
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'll say it now. Pretty sure I will need more time. It's been an awful day at work, had to stay an hour over to get a file done, and the traffic was probably the worst I have driven through since I returned to my current hours earlier this year (and that's saying a lot in SoCal).

So I am rushing to try to get my export ready. Sorry for any delays.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #117
allpro10050
Mascot

can i have an extra 5-10 minutes
allpro10050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #118
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Sure, Chief and allpro say when ready. Anyone else need more time?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #119
brittdad
n00b

Hope all my updates went thru.

Scott
brittdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #120
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittdad View Post

Scott

I can check to see if your upload is there while we wait on others. let me see

Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #121
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Scott

Yep, I have your export at least.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #122
brittdad
n00b

Thanks for looking
Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #123
allpro10050
Mascot

k im good
allpro10050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #124
brittdad
n00b

no trade confirm, oh well.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #125
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
no trade confirm, oh well.

I checked and he isn't logged on AIM right now unfortunately. I'm not starting the sim yet, but this is the trade deadline, so lets hope he pops in soon.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:09 PM   #126
brittdad
n00b

Trade confirmed
Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #127
brittdad
n00b

It will be interesting to see how bad I messed up the draft:

With its first pick Wyoming selects one armed blind catcher, 16 years old from parts unknown. Couldnt find 40 guys that I liked.

Scott
Old 11-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #128
Anthony
Banned

sorry, i was watching the Jets/Pats game and halftime came just about 10 min ago. i was also watching a documentary on people with superhuman strength, i got a little distracted. i should look into getting a laptop.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #129
brittdad
n00b

I stopped watching the Patriots game (no mention of Jets) but did watch the Bruins destroy the Canadiens. Milan Lucic is a hockey god.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #130
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

All right, exported.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #131
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Ok, kicking things off. Good luck to all

Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #132
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

No export from San Diego

Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #133
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

While I process all of the transactions and everything, a couple of league notes.

As previously mentioned, the At Large Board position is up for re-nomination this season. I want to handle the nominations a bit different though this year. Instead of making a seperate thread for it, please send either nominations or if you are volunteering for the position to me in a PM. I'll put up a vote with every nominated/volunteered owner that is willing to do it. There is no rule against Tim serving again in the position, or any past member running for the spot.

Also, important for future team planning. Starting in 1987, the League will be switching to a livelier baseball that is wound a bit tighter. The change of baseball is expected to increase the amount of offense that currently is seen in the league. (I'll post actual numbers of the changes for people interested in understanding how the league modifiers are changing later tonight.) This obviously has several years before it will be implemented, but a change of this nature should be well advertised as it might affect strategy for teams.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #134
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Interesting trade there between Boston and Napa Valley. I understand why DC did it--he always goes for it. He and I are a lot alike in that. We're not very patient when it comes to taking "the next step."

What I find curious is Teach's move. I haven't checked out those prospects and I imagine (hope) they are all uber studs, but even so, she's essentially giving up a likely dynasty in making this trade (well, okay, until DC trades all of them back to her next year ).

So I am just curious if she wants to talk about that move?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
While I process all of the transactions and everything, a couple of league notes.

As previously mentioned, the At Large Board position is up for re-nomination this season. I want to handle the nominations a bit different though this year. Instead of making a seperate thread for it, please send either nominations or if you are volunteering for the position to me in a PM. I'll put up a vote with every nominated/volunteered owner that is willing to do it. There is no rule against Tim serving again in the position, or any past member running for the spot.

Also, important for future team planning. Starting in 1987, the League will be switching to a livelier baseball that is wound a bit tighter. The change of baseball is expected to increase the amount of offense that currently is seen in the league. (I'll post actual numbers of the changes for people interested in understanding how the league modifiers are changing later tonight.) This obviously has several years before it will be implemented, but a change of this nature should be well advertised as it might affect strategy for teams.

Hmm...is that separate from adjusting parks? The CL is notoriously pitcher-friendly still. If that ever moves back to the middle, the explosion in offense could be, well, explosive.

Especially since the best players are in that league.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #136
Anthony
Banned

wow, we have a girl in this league? niiiice.

i'm not wearing any pants right now.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Is your wife wearing them?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #138
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting trade there between Boston and Napa Valley. I understand why DC did it--he always goes for it. He and I are a lot alike in that. We're not very patient when it comes to taking "the next step."

What I find curious is Teach's move. I haven't checked out those prospects and I imagine (hope) they are all uber studs, but even so, she's essentially giving up a likely dynasty in making this trade (well, okay, until DC trades all of them back to her next year ).

So I am just curious if she wants to talk about that move?

With some of the teams coming up this year I'm not at all sure that I would have been a lock for a repeat. I do know, however, that I was maxed out on salary and had nothing to rely once the older players (who are DC's problems know) burnt out. I got prospects that will likely help me extend my talent and be a real contender in the future. Also, it frankly keeps it fun to keep challenging myself and see what I can do with something new. I'm happy with my two in a row for now.
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #139
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah, because all girls automatically respond positively to pantless men. Good call on the seduction tactic.
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #140
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachEnEspanol View Post
With some of the teams coming up this year I'm not at all sure that I would have been a lock for a repeat. I do know, however, that I was maxed out on salary and had nothing to rely once the older players (who are DC's problems know) burnt out. I got prospects that will likely help me extend my talent and be a real contender in the future. Also, it frankly keeps it fun to keep challenging myself and see what I can do with something new. I'm happy with my two in a row for now.

My footstpes, from 30 wins behind, are loud. I am changing the face of the CL!!!
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #141
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yeah, because all girls automatically respond positively to pantless men. Good call on the seduction tactic.

anthonymadison dot com

(much funnier if you happen to be in or near boston this week)
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #142
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how it works out. At some point, I'll take a look at what you got. I only knew of Vallis and Pacheco off of the top of my head.

As a CL "contender", I don't mind of course, since that probably opens up one more spot for ekcut or kaos or Cringer or Commo to finish in second.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #143
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
My footstpes, from 30 wins behind, are loud. I am changing the face of the CL!!!

Whatever you say, Tasan.

(runs away and hides...)

Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #144
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm...is that separate from adjusting parks? The CL is notoriously pitcher-friendly still. If that ever moves back to the middle, the explosion in offense could be, well, explosive.

Especially since the best players are in that league.

I'll give more specifics on the numbers after I get the sim going. As with most things to do with me, I probably shot lower than I should with the numbers rather than too high.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #145
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I can't tell you how frustrated I am. I also have had a dominant Georgia Tech team in an old-school BBCF league that I commish and I have yet to put together a season that is even close to my team's talent. Thanks to being blown out by NC State tonight in that league, I have yet another season going down in flames. I am starting to think Football is not my sport.

Says the guy with at least six Big East titles in a row, or five of the last six (Icy won last year, I think). Frustration is what I go through in that league. This is easily my best team that I have right now, and I can't imagine actually having a better one, short of becoming an uber power--and yet I lost to you in OT at your place, and allowed Cuse to score 2 TDs in the 4th to come back and beat me at their place. Now I have Pitt coming in, and it would seem to make sense that I can win this one, and be the guy who pulls the upset for once. But that stuff just doesn't happen to me. 1-13 now against WVU, Pitt and Syracuse.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #146
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Whatever you say, Tasan.

(runs away and hides...)

I am not revolting, unlike the Rancheros. There is no comparison.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #147
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So how about someone explaining how Post #145 in this thread happened?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #148
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, and 147.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #149
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

yo soy bueno in la cama.

i know how to say that in spanish and "Telemundo!".
Old 11-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #150
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Only 47 players on my draft list this time...I found it to be a lot weaker pool..especially the pitchers. I think I have 8 or 9

FOOL- Leduc Bullets

Last edited by ekcut : 11-13-2008 at 10:02 PM.