Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

1985 Regular Season Thread (PLAYOFFS will be run Monday night 10pm ET)

Ok sim time, best of luck to everyone. Lets get this started!

Last edited by Alan T : 11-23-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Have exports from the entire league.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Have some major salary cap issues I have to deal with. As a reminder no one can start the season with a payroll over 65million or I will be forced to release people to get under the cap

Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Showtime!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My apologies, I have sent a pm to the offending salary cap violaters and given them 10 minutes to respond. I need to wait to give them a chance to do so in case they are around.

One of the teams is over by roughly $11million which means I would have no choice but cut their best players.. which is pretty awful. So bear with me here, if they don't respond in 10 minutes I'll just have to do it and try my best to not wreck a team.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Tasan
College Starter

eek....one of the new guys?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
TimGuru
High School Varsity

I'm one of the people over, and I'm well aware of it. I have well in excess of 11 million in payroll in AAA, and if my major league roster is touched you will have a vacant New York team.
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
dacubz
n00b

Nope, not me!
Hardball Heroes Springfield Cubs
dacubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
I'm one of the people over, and I'm well aware of it. I have well in excess of 11 million in payroll in AAA, and if my major league roster is touched you will have a vacant New York team.

Okay, this is rather ominous. What do you expect him to do then?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Lets not drag this into here Tim. We can talk via PM about this.

For the other owners in the league, we had one way of traditionally doing this, and the way listed in the rulebook for salary cap violations has not ever been used actually. Pretty much my fault especially since this wouldn't have been something any new owner would have known anyways.

To be fair, I'll apply the penalty as listed in the rule book for this infraction, and look into how to make this type of loophole from not being abused in the future.

Lets get on with the season.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
dacubz
n00b

Ummm...I know I'm the newbie here, but shouldn't this have been fixed before opening day?

Post written before I saw Alan's

Last edited by dacubz : 11-23-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:37 PM   #12
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Well, duh, since I have 11 million on my AAA roster and I don't want my major league team touched.

I am going to cut enough payroll out of AAA to get under. I don't agree with having to do it, there is a clear rule posted that says that the penalty for being over is a third round pick, and I was perfectly willing to accept that penalty. I assume by cutting the guys instead, i won't lose my third round pick. But apparently, assuming that a published rule means what it says has already gotten me in trouble so I guess I should assume I'll be penalized too.

I'm not at all happy about this.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #13
Tasan
College Starter

I think this will be a good discussion for the BoD. Maybe some revision is necessary on the rules. Can we just take the rest of the discussion there for now?
Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #14
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Exported.

Go Atlanta and Baltimore! Or whoever the hell!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
TimGuru
High School Varsity

PS 4 or 5 high quality free agents available for the playoff sim!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, duh, since I have 11 million on my AAA roster and I don't want my major league team touched.

I am going to cut enough payroll out of AAA to get under. I don't agree with having to do it, there is a clear rule posted that says that the penalty for being over is a third round pick, and I was perfectly willing to accept that penalty. I assume by cutting the guys instead, i won't lose my third round pick. But apparently, assuming that a published rule means what it says has already gotten me in trouble so I guess I should assume I'll be penalized too.

I'm not at all happy about this.

Well, I am sure having the $11 M itself is going to seem an egregious cut, but that penalty was put in place for all salary cap overages. Frankly, I don't think anyone actually thought a team would be that much over the cap, so the penalty was assessed basically because this sort of cap violation was expected to be some under $1 M over type of infraction with some minor player cut. The penalty was because losing a backup player making minimum or close to it didn't seem to be enough for having gone over one of the major roster levellers of the league. It wouldn't be fair to not assess that to all salcap violators, no matter how much they're over.

I assume, Tim, you're also going to end up with a negative balance, so you'll have a penalty for that, too. Ouch, what a CF situation.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #17
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I think this will be a good discussion for the BoD. Maybe some revision is necessary on the rules. Can we just take the rest of the discussion there for now?

For starters, I'll set the rulebook to actually have the rule that has always been used in the league. I still say it was my fault for having the conflicting rules in there. We can definitely talk about the future of this rule though after the season.

I have no hard feelings to Tim at all, and would rather keep any further drama out of this thread for this subject.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
PS 4 or 5 high quality free agents available for the playoff sim!!!!!!

So you didn't lose the AAA salary then? That does suck. But I will abide by Tasan's wishes and not comment further.

Although I will recommend to the current BoD that this might be a situation that would be a good discussion for the entire league to be a part of, so long as we all keep it above board.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Well, I am sure having the $11 M itself is going to seem an egregious cut, but that penalty was put in place for all salary cap overages. Frankly, I don't think anyone actually thought a team would be that much over the cap, so the penalty was assessed basically because this sort of cap violation was expected to be some under $1 M over type of infraction with some minor player cut. The penalty was because losing a backup player making minimum or close to it didn't seem to be enough for having gone over one of the major roster levellers of the league. It wouldn't be fair to not assess that to all salcap violators, no matter how much they're over.

I assume, Tim, you're also going to end up with a negative balance, so you'll have a penalty for that, too. Ouch, what a CF situation.

I've actually never penalized anyone for salary cap overages and don't plan to start with Tim. Like I said, probably my fault for having a confusing situation here and I feel bad about it. I apologize.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I've actually never penalized anyone for salary cap overages and don't plan to start with Tim. Like I said, probably my fault for having a confusing situation here and I feel bad about it. I apologize.

Don't feel bad, Alan. That was a tough financial ruleset to put together, and it shouldn't surprise any of us that the language as we proposed it isn't ironclad and foolproof.

And while I agree that conflicting rules should be viewed as an out in this case, I think Tim would be the first to agree with you that he himself is at fault for being so far over the cap.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am curious to know, though, if New York is playing this season with a $77 M payroll. It could help put the season in proper perspective.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #22
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quit holding hands, grab my current export and get on with the show.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #23
Tasan
College Starter

Hey look, we have 7 league members watching the season right now, including both of our newest owners! Pretty good turnout for a delayed, Sunday night sim.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #24
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
I am curious to know, though, if New York is playing this season with a $77 M payroll. It could help put the season in proper perspective.

Yeah, and so does having an extra 20 minute to 1 hour buffer after every deadline, right Chief? Oh no wait, some rules are more equal than others.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quit holding hands, grab my current export and get on with the show.

Kumbaya, my Loooooorrrrrrrrrd...Kumbayaaaaaaaaaa...

Old 11-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #26
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum

Quote:
Yeah, and so does having an extra 20 minute to 1 hour buffer after every deadline, right Chief? Oh no wait, some rules are more equal than others.

Lets drop it guys.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #27
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, he cut players to get under the cap. We're proceeding on as we've always done in this situation.. no further fines of the such. Tim is rightfully upset at me because this is my fault. Lets just drop this so it doesn't ruin my bad evening any further. I'm starting up the season now and hope it is a good one.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There's nothing in the rules stating we can't ask for more time. There's also nothing in the rules stating Alan has to grant it. So it sounds like your beef here should be with the rules.

I am actually sympathetic to your situation, because I see now why you were so frustrated about the trading. But comments like these will quickly evaporate what sympathy I have. You were $12 M over the cap, and that's listed out pretty clearly in the rules, regardless of the lack of clarity in punishment.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #29
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Fine, I will drop it if he will.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #30
dacubz
n00b

I just want to see if my team sucks as much as it did before I got my hands on 'em.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 PM   #31
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Fine, I will drop it if he will.

Way to be 12 Chief!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #32
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No, he cut players to get under the cap. We're proceeding on as we've always done in this situation.. no further fines of the such. Tim is rightfully upset at me because this is my fault. Lets just drop this so it doesn't ruin my bad evening any further. I'm starting up the season now and hope it is a good one.

I fail to see how this can be your fault as this is not a new rule, if anything Tim should be thankful that you let him make his changes. I'm curious if the players released were on the last year of their contracts or made less then $5 million.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #33
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacubz View Post
I just want to see if my team sucks as much as it did before I got my hands on 'em.

Or, it could be like me. I took a multiple championship team and drove them into the ground. I've bet it all on a rebuild that I hope is going to bring us back next year, but I have my doubts.

You guys in the RL can just skip reading that last part. The Revolution is going to happen in '86!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #34
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Way to be 12 Chief!

Heh...to be young again. Instead, I get to be the surly old dude.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #35
TimGuru
High School Varsity

For the record, I had a deal in place with Wyoming to clear all my salary overage plus a highly regarded first round pick from a recent draft. Since it is well known that we know each other in real life, I thought there would be a hue and cry that I traded Jae Won So, Elliot Brown, Arthur Shoemaker, some middle reliever, and Jesus Pena for a 4th rounder from his A level. So I said I would take the penalty and just live with the overage.

I didn't touch my major league roster, it is well under 65 million. I still have several players with <1mil salaries on my AAA team and have my payroll under 65 now.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #36
kaosfere
College Prospect

PLAY BALL!
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #37
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Heh...to be young again. Instead, I get to be the surly old dude.

I should have actually said 6. I have a 6 year old, and the whole "I'll stop if he does" came right out of his mouth a couple of days ago, in reference to his 3 year old brother. Yay parenting!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #38
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA!!!

This league has rules??? Why wasn't I informed?!!?!?

You would think with all of the extra time this week I've created a new slogan by now...someone's slacking!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #39
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I fail to see how this can be your fault as this is not a new rule, if anything Tim should be thankful that you let him make his changes. I'm curious if the players released were on the last year of their contracts or made less then $5 million.

Yeah, actually Commo, I can read, which is the source of the problem here. All the players cut were from my AAA level, the highest individual salary was Jae Won So in the last year of a deal in which he was making 4.3 mil. You can feel free to check if you want though, no one is fighting with Anthony tonight so your services sticking up for him won't be needed. You should have some extra time on your hands.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #40
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

May 1st, 1985:

Code:
Continental League Standings Baltimore Gothams 21 11 .656 - Wyoming Buffalo Solider 20 12 .625 1.0 Atlanta Firecrackers 19 13 .594 2.0 New York Panthers 16 16 .500 5.0 Rio Grande Roadrunners 16 16 .500 5.0 Brooklyn Brownstones 15 17 .469 6.0 Toronto Osprey 11 21 .344 10.0 Napa Valley Winemakers 10 22 .313 11.0 Republic League Standings Hartford Harpooners 23 9 .719 - Colorado Rancheros 20 12 .625 3.0 Boston Bombers 18 14 .563 5.0 San Diego Fathers 17 15 .531 6.0 Ann Arbor Wolverines 16 16 .500 7.0 Chicago Black Sox 13 19 .406 10.0 Columbus Crusaders 12 20 .375 11.0 Long Island Violators 9 23 .281 14.0

Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #41
dacubz
n00b

If Alan's in his hotel, he's probably cracked his mini bar by now!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #42
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

May 1st stats leaders:

S. Patterson (RG) .382
A. Morales (ANN) 8 HR
B.Barrett (SD) 25 RBI

R. Fritz (RG) 6 wins
D. Spencer (BAL) / K. O'Quinn (BOS) / F. Rodriguez (COL) 10 saves
J. Trinidad (WYO) 1.15 ERA

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #43
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA!!!

This league has rules??? Why wasn't I informed?!!?!?

You would think with all of the extra time this week I've created a new slogan by now...someone's slacking!

Takin' a dive in '85?

Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #44
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, actually Commo, I can read, which is the source of the problem here. All the players cut were from my AAA level, the highest individual salary was Jae Won So in the last year of a deal in which he was making 4.3 mil. You can feel free to check if you want though, no one is fighting with Anthony tonight so your services sticking up for him won't be needed. You should have some extra time on your hands.

Here is a thought, your team was in the wrong and everyone knows it. So why take your anger out on others? Maybe it would be best for you to go take a walk and calm down for 15 minutes.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #45
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Well, how about them Buff Soldiers!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #46
brittdad
n00b

Oh Oh, maybe too much rebuild.

Scott
brittdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #47
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
May 1st, 1985:

Code:
Republic League Standings Hartford Harpooners 23 9 .719 - Colorado Rancheros 20 12 .625 3.0 Boston Bombers 18 14 .563 5.0 San Diego Fathers 17 15 .531 6.0 Ann Arbor Wolverines 16 16 .500 7.0 Chicago Black Sox 13 19 .406 10.0 Columbus Crusaders 12 20 .375 11.0 Long Island Violators 9 23 .281 14.0

Did someone give the go on the Revolution, and I missed the team meeting? Go Rancheros!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #48
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Guys, please, let's all take walks if we need to. No more of this. We're still under a zero tolerance policy (and tonight shows we should be).

Old 11-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #49
kaosfere
College Prospect

Aw, man! I'm not even winning the race for the bottom!
SBL:
Charlotte Monarchs (1992-1994) 237 - 186
kaosfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #50
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosfere View Post
Aw, man! I'm not even winning the race for the bottom!

Doesn't it suck when you have trouble being the suckiest?