Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

FOOL-Historical OOTP X Alternate History League Signup Thread (FOOL-H)

We might as well get this started.

Per the conversation here, this will be a historical alternative universe sim that carries most of FOOL conventions. The rules will mirror those of FOOL-X for now, except for the schedule and some modest changes listed below:

Quote:
All exports are due by 1am ET. Sims will be run at some point between 1am and 3am ET unless otherwise noted.

Monday/Tuesday: No sim/make up day for any cancelled sim.
Wednesday: Amateur Draft
Thursday: Free Agency Day 1
Friday: Free Agency Day 2/Spring Training
Saturday: Regular Season
Sunday: Playoffs

We'll start in the year 1901, so it gives us plenty of time to generate history. And the financials will be as they are in other FOOL leagues, meaning that despite the year, Babe Ruth will indeed get a chance to make Barry Bonds-like money. Ain't history great?

We'll use a 16-team, 162-game schedule and there will be inter-league play. (14 games against teams in your league, 8 against teams in the other league.) Reason? It helps us build rivalries across leagues, plus we can see how the stars of yesterday compete against the other leagues. It'll be a first for FOOL derivative league, so I think it'll be good to see how it works in the wild.

But there will be no designated hitter rule in either league.

We're going to go with the AL and NL designations since our teams will be real and the players too. But the teams won't necessarily be in the same league as their real life counterparts.

Playoff format will maintain with the LCS (best-of-seven) and a Fall Classic (rather than a FOOL Classic) (best-of-nine)

With that, signup with your:

Quote:
Team name:
City:
Stadium:

Use the stadium spreadsheet to pick your ballpark. The only rule with stadiums is that once you pick it, the ballpark can't change for 50 years. Even if the team changes hands, that way, we can maintain some semblance of consistency.

I think that's it for now. Let's play fake historical baseball!

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-12-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Team name: Red Sox
City: Boston
Stadium: Fenway

Edit: Let's just go with what we'll be in 15 years anyway...

Will be fun starting off with Alan in the same city...

Last edited by gstelmack : 07-09-2009 at 03:28 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Team: Giants
City: New York
Stadium:Polo Grounds

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Team name: Americans
Stadium: Huntington Avenue Grounds

Since I am not completely up on my early baseball history, I am open to suggestions for changing any of this. I know they become the Red Sox in 1908, and in 1912 move to Fenway, so the question is should they just start as the Sox and in Fenway in 1901, stay the Americans and in the Huntington Grounds for the league, or change historically?

Will be fun starting off with Alan in the same city...

Well the Americans was just their generic name that they used until after a while (I don't remember what year), they basically stole using red stockings from the cross town Boston National league team. Eventually the National league team stopped using the red stockings and the Americans officially became known as the Red Sox. So I think really for you, its 1/2 dozen one way or 6 another.. go with whichever you want. As for the park, I know you love Fenway and it was actually one of the few parks that was back almost that long ago. Since we can't change for 50 years just start off with Fenway is my personal opinion.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Team: Cubs
City: Chicago
Stadium: Wrigley Field (#60 on the list)

Last edited by hyde4us11 : 07-10-2009 at 09:42 AM.
hyde4us11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

St. Louis Cardinals
Sportsman's Park

Last edited by Montreal_GM : 07-09-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Montreal_GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Team: Beaneaters
Stadium: Braves Field (#59)

Only request I would have is that I would like to be in the opposite league from the other Boston teams just for chances at an all Boston Classic or such.

Last edited by Alan T : 07-09-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Team: Beaneaters
Stadium: TBA

Only request I would have is that I would like to be in the opposite league from the other Boston teams just for chances at an all Boston Classic or such.

Agreed. And my post edited, I do think being the Red Sox / Fenway from the beginning is the best. Maybe this time around I'll get and keep some power hitters...
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

From the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Questions...

Are we going to use era settings? 3 man rotaions, iron man pitchers, dead ball etc etc and update the modifiers each year....or are we going to stadardize the modifiers?

Also, I know it's early, but what are we going to do about Ruth? Ruth the pitcher will show up in I think 1915...he's pretty darn good! Ruth the hitter emerged in 1920....In another league I was in we actually made George Ruth the pitcher, and then Babe Ruth the hitter....it would be a shame to not have both!

ALSO, also....what about negro leaguers?

The settings will be modern settings. It's sorta the same reason we do that with the financials. Makes it easier to judge players across history.

As for Ruth, we can make sure he's got ratings as both a hitter and pitcher and let said owner do whatever he wants with him.

As for Negro Leaguers, I've been testing using Gambo's DB, so it has a bunch of them in there, so we'll have them participating in our league.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

Team: Orioles
City: Baltimore
Stadium: Can I use Memorial stadium even though it was built in 1950?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
hyde4us11
Coordinator

Can i invite someone ?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
kingfc22
Head Coach

What version of OOTP are you guys using?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
What version of OOTP are you guys using?

10 I hope since I don't have 9.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
10 I hope since I don't have 9.

I haven't bought OOTP since 6, so this type of league might make me take the plunge.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, using OOTPX

Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, sorry. It's OOTP-10.

And yes, post and invite anyone you want!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Team: Orioles
City: Baltimore
Stadium: Can I use Memorial stadium even though it was built in 1950?

Sure can. Any stadium is in play, no matter when it was built. You just can't change it for 50 years.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
allpro10050
Mascot

Team name: Tigers
City: Detroit
Stadium: TBA
allpro10050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Since we can't change fields for 50 years, I'll go ahead and play in Braves Field (#59) where Boston played from 1915-1927. I can then choose in 50 years if I want to go to Braves Field II, or something else. (No way in the world am I going to pick Milwaukee County or Atlanta-Fulton County Stadiums. Both of those are abysmal and should never see baseball ever again.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #20
cgould43
High School JV

I'd really like to join but not sure if I have the time. I'll respond within a day or two if I can. I think it'd be really fun to see historic guys move all about.
cgould43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #21
Tasan
College Starter

Team name:Senators
City:Washington, DC (Washington)
Stadium:Griffith Stadium (47)

We'll move when our stadium lease runs out in 50 years ;- )
Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 AM   #22
EddieK
High School Varsity

Team Name: Phillies
City Name: Philadelphia
Stadium: Baker Bowl #99

Email: [email protected]
AIM: LisaKidsNPoker
EddieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

TEAMS SO FAR
New York Giants (ekcut)
Boston Red Sox (gstelmack)
Chicago Cubs (hyde4us11)
St. Louis Cardinals (Montreal_GM)
Boston Beaneaters (Alan T)
Baltimore Orioles (spleen1015)
Detroit Tigers (allpro10050)
Washington Senators (Tasan)
Philadelphia Phillies (EddieK)

I'll break them up into leagues and so forth once we solidify our base over the weekend. I've already setup the shell of the league and so once we see how many people we have, we can get it setup and hopefully start this coming week with the season.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-10-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

I took the liberty of posting about our trio of leagues on the OOTP boards.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I took the liberty of posting about our trio of leagues on the OOTP boards.

That's so awesome and well written, dude. Thanks for doing that.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-10-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
From the other thread:

The settings will be modern settings. It's sorta the same reason we do that with the financials. Makes it easier to judge players across history.

As for Ruth, we can make sure he's got ratings as both a hitter and pitcher and let said owner do whatever he wants with him.

As for Negro Leaguers, I've been testing using Gambo's DB, so it has a bunch of them in there, so we'll have them participating in our league.

I haven't done much with the Gambo DB. In 1901, do they have more players available, or does that not occur until closer to the -30s and on? The reason I ask is if we are using modern settings, we'll run into pitching staff issues. In 1901 with the default lahman database at least, none of us likely will have more than 7-9 pitchers on their team and a modern setting for pitching stamina will be a definite issue.

Mainly asking this more than stating it because I honestly don't know if the same would be an issue with the Gambo DB. If there are only say 120-150 pitchers though in 1901, I am pretty sure we'd have a problem with these settings.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #27
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Also, DC, I sent you the list of names in order for the current FOOL-X waiting list. Not sure any of these guys are interested in a historical fast sim league, but if you want to ping them and see that would be cool. Since they've been waiting around for open FOOL-X spots, would be great to get them into our community with an opening here. The top name you probably recognize, it is the same former FOOL owner.

Those are their names from this board, so you should be able to just drop them a PM. Them joining this league wouldn't affect their FOOL-X waiting position anyways.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I haven't done much with the Gambo DB. In 1901, do they have more players available, or does that not occur until closer to the -30s and on? The reason I ask is if we are using modern settings, we'll run into pitching staff issues. In 1901 with the default lahman database at least, none of us likely will have more than 7-9 pitchers on their team and a modern setting for pitching stamina will be a definite issue.

Mainly asking this more than stating it because I honestly don't know if the same would be an issue with the Gambo DB. If there are only say 120-150 pitchers though in 1901, I am pretty sure we'd have a problem with these settings.

Gambo DB has more players than Lahman, Negro Leaguers and all. I'll refer to my test leagues again to see if we have the issues with pitching, but I believe that in the tests I ran, I didn't notice any issues with teams having roster problems.

Glad you mentioned this now.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #29
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Gambo DB has more players than Lahman, Negro Leaguers and all. I'll refer to my test leagues again to see if we have the issues with pitching, but I believe that in the tests I ran, I didn't notice any issues with teams having roster problems.

Glad you mentioned this now.

Sorry, been a busy week so I just thought of it

I know there won't be an issue with financials. I've played through a historical fast sim with fixed finances FOOL style. (in fact it seems to improve things in my opinion because some of the financials are whacky). The only catch with the finances is at the very start it takes a year or five for teams to start really having players demand what they are worth.. so there will be a ton of cap space out for the first few seasons.

The only other comment I can think of making is in regards to the draft, most players in the lahman database come in pretty much major league ready (think of the old VL days with players like Sanu and such). I still think higher talent randomness seems to fit here well (for a what-if league) and also try to help prevent any thoughts of teams tanking just before a big player comes out such as Ruth. Once you get into the 30s and on, you usually have enough good players every year that is less of a concern.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Sorry, been a busy week so I just thought of it

I know there won't be an issue with financials. I've played through a historical fast sim with fixed finances FOOL style. (in fact it seems to improve things in my opinion because some of the financials are whacky). The only catch with the finances is at the very start it takes a year or five for teams to start really having players demand what they are worth.. so there will be a ton of cap space out for the first few seasons.

The only other comment I can think of making is in regards to the draft, most players in the lahman database come in pretty much major league ready (think of the old VL days with players like Sanu and such). I still think higher talent randomness seems to fit here well (for a what-if league) and also try to help prevent any thoughts of teams tanking just before a big player comes out such as Ruth. Once you get into the 30s and on, you usually have enough good players every year that is less of a concern.

No, it's good that we thought of this before we launch the league for real.

Financials work fine like you said. I have talent randomness set to 100 as we mentioned on the thread where we discussed forming the league, because I agree with you that we need to make it a bit less predictable.

What I'll do is, I'll run a few more Gambo tests at some point probably not until Monday but...I'll still get it done and then from there, we can decide what we want to do. A possibility is to just change our start date to ensure we don't have to deal with that, so we can avoid it completely, if it turns out to be a problem for us.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-10-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Also, DC, I sent you the list of names in order for the current FOOL-X waiting list. Not sure any of these guys are interested in a historical fast sim league, but if you want to ping them and see that would be cool. Since they've been waiting around for open FOOL-X spots, would be great to get them into our community with an opening here. The top name you probably recognize, it is the same former FOOL owner.

Those are their names from this board, so you should be able to just drop them a PM. Them joining this league wouldn't affect their FOOL-X waiting position anyways.

That's fantastic, man. I'll drop them all a note. We'll need all the hands we can get on deck, so we can start off full.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Anthony? JonnyOOTP? Don't keep us in suspense??

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #33
bz
n00b

Sign me up:

Team name: Redlegs
City: Cincinnati
Stadium: Crosley Field #90

FOOL-X- New York Legends

bz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #34
fairly
n00b

Team: Brooklyn Robins
City: Brooklyn
Stadium: (co-merica park, detroit, #13) but call it Ebbets Field

How many levels of minor leagues? Hopefully, at most 1, or none.

You could use normal stamina and 4-man rotation, use of relievers and closers, rarely.

Last edited by fairly : 07-10-2009 at 11:04 PM.
fairly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #35
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Anthony? JonnyOOTP? Don't keep us in suspense??

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #36
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It was fairly I was talking about. The former owner of the New Orleans Wrens back in 1973 or so

Old 07-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #37
merry
Mascot

49ers

Hi,
Well I am a long-time Niner fan and would manage them if the oportunity arose.
Thanks,
Merry
merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #38
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry View Post
Hi,
Well I am a long-time Niner fan and would manage them if the oportunity arose.
Thanks,
Merry

I am guessing this post was meant for FOWL instead of here?

Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #39
fairly
n00b

TEAMS SO FAR
New York Giants (ekcut)
Chicago Cubs (hyde4us11)
Cincinnati Redlegs (bz)
Brooklyn Robins (fairly)

5 TEAMS LEFT:
since we have Baltimore 1 will be left out.

NY Yankees
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia (A)
St. Louis (A)
Chicago (A)
Old 07-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairly View Post
TEAMS SO FAR
New York Giants (ekcut)
Chicago Cubs (hyde4us11)
Cincinnati Redlegs (bz)
Brooklyn Robins (fairly)

5 TEAMS LEFT:
since we have Baltimore 1 will be left out.

NY Yankees
Cleveland
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia (A)
St. Louis (A)
Chicago (A)

Or maybe someone will really mess things up and put a team in Newark to start.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #41
cgould43
High School JV

i'll join up...i'll do the NY Yankees franchies...not sure which stadium yet. I'll post more details tomorrow. Hopefully I'll find the time for the most leagues i've ever had along with the most work i've ever had.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

On the whole name conventions thing, you can pretty much do what you want. There's no real threshold and you're not restricted only to teams that existed in the 1901 season. The bar is pretty wide, by and large. Players League, Federal League, heck..Negro League as long as the name isn't ridiclous.

Really, if we can make a historical case for it, then so be it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-11-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #43
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'll throw a Federal League team in the mix...

Team name: Whales
City: Chicago
Stadium: Weeghman Park (Use Wrigley I, #57)
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

TEAMS SO FAR
New York Giants (ekcut)
Chicago Cubs (hyde4us11)
Cincinnati Redlegs (bz)
Brooklyn Robins (fairly)
New York Yankees (cgould43)
Chicago Whales (JetsIn06)

I did a test on the whole pitching issue and it seems we'll be fine in terms of having enough arms for the various teams.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #45
Montreal_GM
College Benchwarmer

Only need 3 more and it's only been a few days. Very nice!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #46
spleen1015
Coordinator

Man. I was hoping by starting with the O's I could prevent there being a Yankees team.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 07-13-2009 at 05:25 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #47
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Man. I was hoping by starting with the O's I could prevent there being a Yankees team.

...and I thought Jason was really dead after Friday the 13th IX....the REALLY scary monsters never die!!!

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #48
cgould43
High School JV

I actually hate the Yankees...i was just going to choose them so that I could make them never win a championship. But i'll actually switch teams and let spleen decide what happens with the future yankees. I'll do...

Team Name: Athletics
Team City: Philadelphia
Stadium: Shibe Park (#98)
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #49
fairly
n00b

All you Yankee haters: can I expect that you will never draft a Yankee?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #50
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairly View Post
All you Yankee haters: can I expect that you will never draft a Yankee?

I can promise you that Derek Jeter and A-Rod will never be on my team. Lou Gehrig on the other hand... he wasn't evil.