Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Baseball GM/Text Sim for iPad

Hi guys, I have been diving into iPad development, and I was wondering if any of you were looking at purchasing an iPad? I think it would be great for our genre.

Any thoughts?

Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

Facebook.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
The one warning I'll mention with making a sim for it is that at present Apple appear to be enforcing ALL applications supporting both landscape and portrait mode .... for a game like a text-sim that might be a lot of additional work as you'd have to work out double the number of page layouts as for a traditional game.
Looks like Apple have relented on this some games appear to only be supporting landscape mode which should make things somewhat easier for developers in general.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 04-03-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #4
Icy
Pro Starter

Will Ipad apps be fully compatible with iphone or not necessarily? I love the iphone, but can't really find where would the ipad fit for me between a iphone and a notebook that i already own.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Will Ipad apps be fully compatible with iphone or not necessarily? I love the iphone, but can't really find where would the ipad fit for me between a iphone and a notebook that i already own.

iPhone apps are fully compatible with the iPad* (they run as 'scaled up' versions of themselves) - the opposite isn't true.

*So long as they don't rely on things the iPad doesn't have like a camera.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

For me, the ipad is nowhere near the proper way to implement a tablet device.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post

I'm intruiged by it - apple have been quite brave in its implementation I think and its targetted squarely at people who ARENT geeks imho (although the early adopters will be I expect the price to drop considerably within a year or so of its initial release) .... it could be a huge hit or a damp squid ... too early to say either way really (although I have a sneaking suspicion that 249,995 of the 250,000 pre-orders are developers intruiged by the device ).
Old 04-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'm intruiged by it - apple have been quite brave in its implementation I think and its targetted squarely at people who ARENT geeks imho (although the early adopters will be I expect the price to drop considerably within a year or so of its initial release) .... it could be a huge hit or a damp squid ... too early to say either way really (although I have a sneaking suspicion that 249,995 of the 250,000 pre-orders are developers intruiged by the device ).

I just don't really see the point -- the iphone being such a closed device, fine. It has limited usability. But the ipad? I think it needs to be a little more free form like Android or Windows.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

If you build it. I'll buy one. I'd buy a copy of E. Dombrower's Earl Weaver's baseball for the iPhone every month, if he would start devoting time to it again. At one point he was looking for help. I seem to recall a bit of EW fan boy in you, so I'll selfishly suggest that you join forces with him.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:

But I think it's interesting that nobody else seems to have solved the problem. Tablet PC's were supposed to have had a much larger market share if you go back and listen to the analysts from about 5 years ago. I'm hoping that if the iPad isn't the answer, at least it's a bridge to it...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm considering an iPad, but will probably wait until the price comes down considerably. If I bought one, I'd definitely be interested in a baseball sim on it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I just don't really see the point -- the iphone being such a closed device, fine. It has limited usability. But the ipad? I think it needs to be a little more free form like Android or Windows.

I would love to see development on a mobile linux or linux-ish platform, like Android or Maemo. Understandably, it is still a niche market (especially since Linux people love getting stuff for free).

But, Android is gaining some traction, and Nokia and Intel recently announced that they are joining forces to combine their open-source mobile linux offerings (Maemo and Moblin, respectively). It is early in the game, but Android and Meego (the planned Nokia/Intel OS) might emerge as viable alternatives to the locked-down Apple distribution model)
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Qrusher14242
High School JV

i dont see the point of it either. No usb, no flash, no multitask, no sale. I'll get a netbook before an ipad any day. Just another overpriced crappy apple product. Reminds me of that Onion video lol about that new apple product.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #14
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I'd love something like this, but I really think makin it compatible with the ipod/iphone as well would be awesome
Old 04-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm thinking an FM/PureSim style game for the 3DS, where it's a text management sim, but the match engine that displays the game does so in 3D.

Marc, Shaun, make this happen.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:24 AM   #16
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qrusher14242 View Post
i dont see the point of it either. No usb, no flash, no multitask, no sale. I'll get a netbook before an ipad any day. Just another overpriced crappy apple product. Reminds me of that Onion video lol about that new apple product.

I sorta understand the "overpriced" comment (although I don't agree), but it's been a long time since Apple has released anything that could be considered "crappy". Maybe I drank the kool aid a long time ago, but I've been buying and using Apple products for over 20 years, and don't regret one purchase. Tired of the Apple hate, but I guess it's here to stay.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #17
Danny
Head Coach

I don't get the apple hate. I use PC's, but that's primarily because it's what I'm used to, they play game and I can build a quality machine a lot cheaper. Apple products are very well made though.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
Calis
College Starter

I think most of the Apple hate comes from their practices, not from the quality of their products. They make solid stuff, but I don't think their practices are helpful to consumers or developers.

Count me out on the iPad. I agree, it's too big for me to carry around all the time like a phone, and if I'm at home I'd like something that isn't completely locked down. I'll be curious to see if ChromeOS can become anything decent. I hope we see an influx of tablets from this.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I can see where it'd be appealing say, in the sense that no one else has done it yet. Maybe from that perspective it's attractive, but I think it'd honestly be segmenting a market that's not exactly a deep pool to begin with.

Web-based makes way more sense, gives a lot more flexibility and could lead to iPad/iPod/Facebook integration down the road. You maintain your current base, without pulling them from their current game of choice by giving them something easier to load, less "pretty" so it can be played at work and more immersive.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #20
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
But I think it's interesting that nobody else seems to have solved the problem. Tablet PC's were supposed to have had a much larger market share if you go back and listen to the analysts from about 5 years ago. I'm hoping that if the iPad isn't the answer, at least it's a bridge to it...

This is supposed to be the year of the tablet. I think the landscape is going to change a lot, not just because of the iPad. I'm sure it will sell the best, but that does not necessarily mean it will be the best.

FYI, I own an iPhone and my only computer is a macbook.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan View Post
Hi guys, I have been diving into iPad development, and I was wondering if any of you were looking at purchasing an iPad? I think it would be great for our genre.

Any thoughts?

Shaun - Just wrote a short entry in my blog about the iPad, with an image of what OOTP and PureSim might look like in the future...