Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
JS19
College Prospect

Verizon iPhone?

OK, I'm not sure if I'm being efffed with or not. My cousin, who I am on a family plan with, just called me and said he is pre-ordering his iPhone for Verizon, which he claims was released today for $400, and wants to know if I want in. He sounded completely serious and said he is doing so off of the apple store. Did a google search and found nothing. Can't understand why he would mess with me like that, he's the one who has been looking forward to it forever, I really don't give a shit, when it happened it happened, but anywhoot, I'm confused.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

No way it'd be released all of a sudden today with no internet buzz. Did you look on the Apple store? Maybe he's just confused.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
No way it'd be released all of a sudden today with no internet buzz. Did you look on the Apple store? Maybe he's just confused.

Yea, he's not confused, just an idiot. Just got a text, "Got ya sucker". I almost believed him bc like I said, an iPhone is pretty much the furthest thing from my mind, I don't think I've ever mentioned it once, to anyone, really don't care when it comes out. I should probably delete this thread before I waste everyone's time bc some moron who just had another baby is so incredibly bored staying home all the time, on whatever the hell it's called for a dude who gets off from work when having a kid, that he needs a way to entertain himself.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

paternity leave - my brother in law got it too
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well, yeah, your cousin is a punk. But there are RUMORS that there will be an iPhone coming to Verizon in the fall. I don't normally give much credence to such rumors, but the speculation was widespread enough last week that I think there may be something to it (most of the tech blogs mentioned something on it, which rarely happens). A part of the rumor said that it would stay with Apple but also come to Verizon, and that the version on Verizon would be less powerful (which kind of makes sense, since they'll have to change some stuff to work with a CDMA network).

I'm glad that I have until October to figure out what I'm going to get next. At this point in time, I'm leaning toward iPhone on AT&T but there's plenty of time for me to change my mind (about the hardware and the network).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I'm glad that I have until October to figure out what I'm going to get next. At this point in time, I'm leaning toward iPhone on AT&T but there's plenty of time for me to change my mind (about the hardware and the network).
While I love my iPhone, I do not love AT&T. If the iPhone becomes available for Verizon, I'd highly recommend going that route (assuming it's not too crippled vs. the AT&T version).

Or, for even less money and from what I can tell, very little difference in what they can do, get a Droid for Verizon. If I hadn't talked my wife into getting an iPhone last year and creating a family plan, I'd ditch AT&T and my iPhone and go Verizon and Droid this June when my part of the contract is up.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Or, for even less money and from what I can tell, very little difference in what they can do, get a Droid for Verizon. If I hadn't talked my wife into getting an iPhone last year and creating a family plan, I'd ditch AT&T and my iPhone and go Verizon and Droid this June when my part of the contract is up.

I have a few problems with Android in general, though I have not 100% ruled out the Nexus One or the Droid.

1) The touchscreen is FAR inferior to that of the iPhone (based on spending about an hour each with the Droid and Nexus One, I have friends of twith both). Especially on the Nexus One with no hardware keyboard, this is not acceptable.
2) I'm a committed iPod Touch user, so in order to switch, I have to KNOW that the apps I use daily on my iPod Touch are available on the Android Marketplace (some almost undoubtedly are, some may well not be). As of right now, in order to view the complete Android catalog, you have to have an Android device, otherwise you can get a selection of "featured" Apps.

But....I still have a lot of time to make a decision, so time will tell...

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Easy Mac

You could get a palm pre plus. That can turn itself into a free wifi hot spot so you can continue to use your touch.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Comey
College Starter

People are pointing to an Apple event on Thursday as some possible update on this. They're introducing OS 4.0 then, and rumors are flying that there may be some hints as to the Verizon iPhone.

Rumors, as we all know, have flown around for the last two years. However, they seem to be stronger heading into the summer. There's a WSJ article regarding this...if I can find it, I'll post it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #10
Easy Mac

I think they'd almost have to announce a move to Verizon at the event. I'd think there would be some changes in API calls or something that the developers and mac fanatics would jump on in a second.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I have a few problems with Android in general, though I have not 100% ruled out the Nexus One or the Droid.

1) The touchscreen is FAR inferior to that of the iPhone (based on spending about an hour each with the Droid and Nexus One, I have friends of twith both). Especially on the Nexus One with no hardware keyboard, this is not acceptable.
2) I'm a committed iPod Touch user, so in order to switch, I have to KNOW that the apps I use daily on my iPod Touch are available on the Android Marketplace (some almost undoubtedly are, some may well not be). As of right now, in order to view the complete Android catalog, you have to have an Android device, otherwise you can get a selection of "featured" Apps.

But....I still have a lot of time to make a decision, so time will tell...

/tk

This is a very ugly site that has relatively recent listing of the Android marketplace. You can give it a search, but it's not all inclusive for sure, but I'm not sure there is a better alternative yet.

http://www.androlib.com/

I was an avid Touch user beforehand, and since getting my Droid I haven't opened up iTunes(big Android plus in itself) or used my Touch apart from playing a game or two on it occasionally.

I'm a huge Android fanboy, so I'll get that out of the way early. I absolutely love it, and I can't imagine going to an iPhone now. The iPhone is definitely slicker and has the app catalog, but so far I've found everything I've needed on Android and I've had fantastic experiences with developers responding within hours to requests and sending me updated files to fix issues I had or requests I made.

I can't imagine not having my multi-tasking, widgets, or my wireless scheduled syncing. It's nice to wake up in the morning and have all my RSS feeds updated, Podcasts downloaded, etc...because I scheduled it for while I was asleep.

I really think in the end Android is for tinkerers. I've tried out a huge variety of custom ROMs(think custom OS builds), and all the possible tinkering within that...and the ability to customize most everything, from your SMS app, to default browsers and everything in between.

The touchscreen is definitely not as responsive though, and that's disappointing. I still occasionally am annoyed with it, but typing is much easier with a non-stock virtual keyboard. That is a downside. The upshot is man after using it for a while the Touch screen seems like looking at an old CRT monitor. Well not that bad, but you definitely notice an upgrade in resolution, and the Nexus is even nicer(if you're not in sunlight). It's really easy to root the Droid(I assume Nexus One also) and grab a Wireless Tethering app as well if you want to give your Touch access.

I think for an average user they'd probably be happier with an iPhone, but I think Android is a geek's dream, even if you're just a minor one. You can't go wrong with either though imo.

I do think that this iPhone to Verizon rumor has a lot more legs than the ones in the past, and I think it makes sense for Apple to do so. That's a load of customers they can get their hands on, and while they aren't the Android phones and Blackberries are flying off the shelves there.

Last edited by Calis : 04-05-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #12
dervack
College Prospect

I guess in the iPad OS it makes reference to 3 different iPhone updates. Presumably, GSM, China CDMA and one other. Speculation is US CDMA. I don't believe they'll announce anything this week about a new carrier, especially with the solid iPad launch they wouldn't want to overshadow, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them announce it along with details of iPhone OS 4.0.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote