Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Drake
assmaster

I finally did it.

After thinking about it for years, I finally signed up for the MLB Extra Innings package with DirecTV today.

I actually even got my wife's approval first.

Let baseball season begin.

(And with my luck, the Red Sox will have a series of catastrophic injuries and finish 20 games below .500.)

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You will not regret it. I say this as a Mets fan following a season that fit your scenerio.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
markprior22
High School Varsity

I've purchased this plan the last couple of years and really enjoyed it. I'm saving for a big screen TV so I'm going to put that money aside this year...and get back on board next year. Enjoy it..
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm going on my third year....easily the move bang for your buck out of the sports packages.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

i thought about it.... but the Nats are the only local team I cheer for... so I have no need! been a many years center icer

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I've actually been thinking about adding it through Comcast this year after doing the computer version last year.

How is the reception in non-hd for anybody that has had it? We have an hd tv and hd service, but the games in the package aren't done in hd so I was curious how they look.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 03-31-2010 at 12:54 PM.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Schmidty
Coordinator

I spend way too much money on these packages. MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL. I used to get the College football and basketball ones, but with the Big Ten Network, I don't need them.

It was an agreement with my wife when I moved out here - I'd move here, but I would also still get to watch all of my teams. It's worth it, but dang it's a lot. Like $1,000 a year.

Oh well. It's the only thing I spend any money on.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

MLB is the only package I get. NFL is way too expensive, and I'm rarely around for the entire day on Sundays anymore to make it worthwhile. I don't watch enough hockey. I don't care about basketball. I get the regional sports package on DTV and it gives me plenty more college football (and basketball, when I want it) than I could possibly watch. Yeah, I might miss certain games, but there's always a college football game (or 4) on to watch.

I get the baseball package because I'll watch pretty much any game at any time.

I see that they changed the billing to 6 months rather than 4. I thought at first they lowered the price, but now I see it's just spread out over 6 months.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-31-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I would probably get the NFL package if it was an option.... but its not.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

You'll be surprised at how many games you otherwise have no interest in you will wind up watching. If you play fantasy baseball, take the above x 1000.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
I would probably get the NFL package if it was an option.... but its not.
Redzone is perhaps the greatest creation man has ever seen. Your cable company should offer that.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-31-2010 at 01:39 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I wish the MLB.tv pacakage didn't do blackouts.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Yes, the Red Zone Channel is definitely the way to go.

For Comcast the sports package costs $8 per month, so that's $2 per week a month for the Red Zone Channel (I don't watch any of the other channels).

It really doesn't solve the whole "I want to watch my team" problem, but if you live in the local area where your team plays, it's fantastic, especially if your local team is terrible and a lot of their games are unwatchable after the first quarter/half or so. Not that I would know anything about that...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
sooner333
College Starter

I think I'm going to do the internet package and buy a Roku. A little bit cheaper (well probably about the same for the first year), plus I don't have to spend $7.50/month for a cable box in my room if I want to watch the games in there.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

So help me, Drake, if the BoSox tank, I'm COMPLETELY blaming you.

Personally, I am never guaranteed to be home when they're playing, anyway, so I usually sign up for the MLB.com audio subscription. I still love listening to baseball games. Reminds me of when I was a kid, listening with my grandfather.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Yes, the Red Zone Channel is definitely the way to go.

For Comcast the sports package costs $8 per month, so that's $2 per week a month for the Red Zone Channel (I don't watch any of the other channels).

It really doesn't solve the whole "I want to watch my team" problem, but if you live in the local area where your team plays, it's fantastic, especially if your local team is terrible and a lot of their games are unwatchable after the first quarter/half or so. Not that I would know anything about that...
It is basically the dream network for fantasy football fans and gamblers. And they are amazingly good at switching to the right games at the right times.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-31-2010 at 06:26 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
MLB is the only package I get. NFL is way too expensive, and I'm rarely around for the entire day on Sundays anymore to make it worthwhile. I don't watch enough hockey. I don't care about basketball. I get the regional sports package on DTV and it gives me plenty more college football (and basketball, when I want it) than I could possibly watch. Yeah, I might miss certain games, but there's always a college football game (or 4) on to watch.

I get the baseball package because I'll watch pretty much any game at any time.

I see that they changed the billing to 6 months rather than 4. I thought at first they lowered the price, but now I see it's just spread out over 6 months.

+1, this is exactly what I do. It's why I have Directv.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
rowech
Pro Starter

Many nights I'll just watch an inning for every game that's on.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought this was about something else and came into offer my support. But I hope the sox's do suck so I guess that means we have a conflict.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
After thinking about it for years, I finally signed up for the MLB Extra Innings package with DirecTV today.

I actually even got my wife's approval first.

Let baseball season begin.

(And with my luck, the Red Sox will have a series of catastrophic injuries and finish 20 games below .500.)

So, who do you root for in Indiana?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
So help me, Drake, if the BoSox tank, I'm COMPLETELY blaming you.

Personally, I am never guaranteed to be home when they're playing, anyway, so I usually sign up for the MLB.com audio subscription. I still love listening to baseball games. Reminds me of when I was a kid, listening with my grandfather.

/tk

+1
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #22
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So, who do you root for in Indiana?

I root for the Red Sox. I grew up as a Cubs fan, but stopped paying attention to baseball for a few years (when I was like 11-14). The Red Sox playoff run in 1986 captured my imagination and I got my intro to the sucker-punch that being a Red Sox fan used to be.

I was hooked on the pain after that.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #23
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
I root for the Red Sox. I grew up as a Cubs fan, but stopped paying attention to baseball for a few years (when I was like 11-14). The Red Sox playoff run in 1986 captured my imagination and I got my intro to the sucker-punch that being a Red Sox fan used to be.

I was hooked on the pain after that.

I dreamt about Dave Henderson's HR in game 5 against Donnie Moore last night. And of course the jumping pirouette he did.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

For anyone looking to change to cable TV from Dish, ATT, or WOW, you can get MLB Extra Innings for free for the year.

I just got an email about this today, so I don't know how many in the customer service department are aware of it yet, but here is the info I do have.

What’s the Deal?
From April 1st – May 31h, 2010, new Time Warner Cable Video customers, who switch from Dish Network, WOW, or AT & T Uverse to Digital Cable featuring MLB Network, will get MLB Extra Innings at no charge for the 2010 Season. A qualifying competitor’s bill in customer’s name will be required as proof of switching.

Who Qualifies to receive MLB Extra Innings 2010 season at no cost from Time Warner Cable?
To receive the MLB Extra Innings 2010 Season at no Charge from Time Warner Cable, a customer must:
• Be new to Time Warner Cable Digital Video subscriber
• Start a new digital video subscription with TWC between 4/1 and 5/31
• Have switched from the following providers that do not offer MLBNetwork: Dish Network, WOW and AT & T U-Verse Customers
• This is not open to Direct TV or Verizon Fios Subscribers
• Be able to prove that they are switching from a provider listed above by showing their bill by FAX or Email
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
Drake
assmaster

So my subscription officially starts in 30 minutes...

...and I already can't decide which game I want to watch.

(I stayed home from work today just so I could watch baseball.)
Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #26
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
So my subscription officially starts in 30 minutes...

...and I already can't decide which game I want to watch.

(I stayed home from work today just so I could watch baseball.)

Turn on the mix channel and watch 'em all!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
Drake
assmaster

True. I thought about that...but Phillies/Nats wins because they have the President throwing out the first pitch.

Plus, I want to see Roy Halladay in a Phils uniform (so I can revel in the fact that he's no longer in the AL East.)
Old 04-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #28
markprior22
High School Varsity

Can anyone tell me if a cable user has any control over the mosaic channel? It shows four games at a time on the screen but I'm wondering if you can 1) manually move to a new set of four games (it does it automatically at timed intervals) or 2) choose which game to get audio from (of the four showing). This is pretty easy stuff to do on the computer but I don't see any way to micro manage this through digital cable.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #29
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Can anyone tell me if a cable user has any control over the mosaic channel? It shows four games at a time on the screen but I'm wondering if you can 1) manually move to a new set of four games (it does it automatically at timed intervals) or 2) choose which game to get audio from (of the four showing). This is pretty easy stuff to do on the computer but I don't see any way to micro manage this through digital cable.

On Direct TV, a red box will eventually come up and highlight the first game. You can then move the box around to pick up the audio for that particular game. Another thing about those channels, at least for Direct TV, you can pick up your team's games from another set of announcers for a different team. Comes in handy for Reds fans when the weekday afternoon games aren't broadcast...you can get the other team's feed on that channel.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I always hated the fact that Reds games weren't broadcast during the week when I lived in Cincy. I could never understand why.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote