Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pollen wanna cracker?

Today's pollen count for Atlanta = 5,733

That's the second highest recording in history,trailing only the record of 6,013, set on April 12, 1999. And we haven't even gotten to pine pollen season yet.

Ah-choo.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I haven't seen the numbers, but anecdotally, it's awful in Richmond all this past week. There's yellow pine dust all over the cars and I've been sneezing up a storm.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-07-2010 at 10:42 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Interesting...my nearly 4 year old has been a wreck the past couple of weeks and with my wife having a lot of allergies I've been wondering if my daughter has been suffering from them as well. We haven't had her tested yet but we do have an appointment booked this week to hopefully get a referral to get her tested for allergies because this is getting ridiculous.

Boy, I'm glad I don't have issues with this kind of stuff.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

So this proves Climate Change right?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
So this proves Climate Change right?

Please. It's the homos fault.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
miked
College Starter

Black car = teh suck.

I went to take out the recycling this morning and dropped the bin on the ground, was immediately engulfed in haze of yellow pine pollen. Yay for pine trees.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Watch out, it could be The Happening
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I haven't seen the numbers, but anecdotally, it's awful in Richmond all this past week. There's yellow pine dust all over the cars and I've been sneezing up a storm.

SI
Yup - I've been outside most of the day for the last 5 days and it has been awful. We're doing a bunch of landscaping at my house and everything is yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Pyser
Pro Rookie

rough in la, too, though im going by my nose, not actual pollen numbers
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Easy Mac

Woo hoo! Greenville is #2 in the nation!! And only 2 days after Duke wins the national title? Everything is coming up easy mac.

Seriously though, about 90% of the cars are covered in yellowish-green pollen. I'm glad my car is in a garage all day and night. Strangely, my allergies were horrible last year, but so far I've been perfectly fine. knock on wood.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
Easy Mac

dola Pollen.com - Free 4-Day Allergy Forecast for AUSTIN, TX

The pollen scale goes up to 12. Greenville is at 11.7.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

I thought this post was going to be about white people...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #13
miked
College Starter

Supposed to rain tomorrow, maybe I'll park outside.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

That's the second highest recording in history,trailing only the record of 6,013, set on April 12, 1999. And we haven't even gotten to pine pollen season yet.

Ah-choo.

Yowza!
Days like that, the allergy medicine doesn't even help much (for me, anyway). Here's to clear sinuses!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It looked like it snowed last evening with all the pollen on the cars last night and this morning. Unreal.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Apparently Ashburn, VA is at 11.3 today. Yippy.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
KWhit
Coordinator

You can actually see the yellow haze floating around in the air around here. It's awful.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

My zip (23294) is 11.6 and 11.4 the next 2 days

SI

Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #19
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Black car = teh suck.

I too have this problem right now.

Oh, and as for someone to blame, why not go with the cause of all of the world's problems: the Commienazis

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-07-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #20
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My zip (23294) is 11.6 and 11.4 the next 2 days

SI

Same.

I, funny enough, have a yellow car.

It's bad when you can see the pollen on a yellow car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
Thomkal
Head Coach

well at least you get a change of color for free this time of year as I sit here typing looking out at the used to be red bricks in my patio.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #22
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Raleigh's forecast is about 10 or so on that site for the next few days. I can't imagine it being worse than last weekend, though. It was an absolute yellow haze all over here. If you looked at a tree at the right time, you could see the pollen coming off in waves. At night under lampposts, it looked like it was snowing. Thank God I'm not allergic (though it's been so dusty, I've even had to sneeze a few times regardless).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #23
Tasan
College Starter

I know our Oak pollen count has been 2-3x higher than average. I hate allergies.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Ah-choo.

I don't know what 'pine pollen' season is, but since the last time the record was set was April 12, why does this count for April 7 seem unseasonable?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

I had an unscheduled training in Norcross this week. It was in two days, out so I didn't have time to visit any FOFCers.

I could not believe the pollen. My allergies went haywire. My eyes are still watering and I've been back two days.

On an aside, what is that Weslyen School? They had a ball field and football stadium and some colleges would be proud of. (it was next to our hotel and we walked through the campus)

I'm guessing it's a private HS? Amazing place.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

[quote=TroyF;2261462]
Quote:
On an aside, what is that Weslyen School? They had a ball field and football stadium and some colleges would be proud of. (it was next to our hotel and we walked through the campus) I'm guessing it's a private HS? Amazing place.

Private K-12 I believe. I may (or may not) have mentioned this place in the HS football thread earlier this year. It's frickin' amazing, closest thing I could come up with as a comparision is like the Duke campus on a smaller scale. Their chapel alone (used for school related functions only as I understand it) likely has more square footage than most of the private schools in the state. Just a gorgeous setting, gothic influenced architecture, football stadium puts some small colleges to shame. State championships in virtually every sport in the past decade, several of them are back to back or even four peats (and counting). And the kids are both well mannered & smart.

Tuition is about $16k a year through gr 4, $17k for middle school, $18.3k for grades 7-12 ... mandatory annual giving not included in those figures. Total K-12 enrollment about 1,100.

edit to add: My son took one look at the campus while we were trying to find a Friday night parking space, his jaw kept dropping lower & lower, I said "don't even think about it" and kept walking

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-09-2010 at 12:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I don't know what 'pine pollen' season is, but since the last time the record was set was April 12, why does this count for April 7 seem unseasonable?

Usually the onset of pine pollen is around the peak for the year, around the middle of the month or so, so odds are we haven't seen the worst of it yet.
The mean peak value from '92-07 is around 1,250 ... we've been more than 4 times that this week already and even after pretty decent rainfall yesterday (which normally washes the particles out of the air) we're still at 1,941 today.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

[quote=JonInMiddleGA;2261463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

Private K-12 I believe. I may (or may not) have mentioned this place in the HS football thread earlier this year. It's frickin' amazing, closest thing I could come up with as a comparision is like the Duke campus on a smaller scale. Their chapel alone (used for school related functions only as I understand it) likely has more square footage than most of the private schools in the state. Just a gorgeous setting, gothic influenced architecture, football stadium puts some small colleges to shame. State championships in virtually every sport in the past decade, several of them are back to back or even four peats (and counting). And the kids are both well mannered & smart.

Tuition is about $16k a year through gr 4, $17k for middle school, $18.3k for grades 7-12 ... mandatory annual giving not included in those figures. Total K-12 enrollment about 1,100.

edit to add: My son took one look at the campus while we were trying to find a Friday night parking space, his jaw kept dropping lower & lower, I said "don't even think about it" and kept walking

I can see how your son had his jaw drop. I was simply amazed. We watched their baseball team get a walk off win and then went to the football field and watched the soccer match for awhile. We were floored by both stadiums. I can't imagine playing in anything remotely like either in my junior high/high school days.

18 grand a year? Yeah, if I have a kid and live in GA, we'd keep on walking as well.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote