Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #601
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Did anyone notice that Sundance almost lost it (started laughing) when he replaced "harmless little fuck" with "harmless little punk"? He turned away and almost looked like he was trying not to laugh. For the rest of the performance, I was trying not to laugh/cringe.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #602
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
1. Max Headroom
2. Timberlake
3. John Popper Jr
4. Guy Smiley
5. Carlton from the Fresh Prince
6. Raindance
7. Insane bald guy
8. Hula girl .
That's some funny stuff, right there.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #603
Ksyrup

I'm sorry, but Guy Smiley is already taken:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #604
Ksyrup

Given the couple of comments I cut-and-pasted yesterday about artists doing well after their songs are used on AI, it will be interesting to see if 311 gets a bump on downloads of the song Blake did, since it's so old.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #605
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Given the couple of comments I cut-and-pasted yesterday about artists doing well after their songs are used on AI, it will be interesting to see if 311 gets a bump on downloads of the song Blake did, since it's so old.

I found it absurd, btw, that none of the judges knew that song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #606
wade moore
lolzcat

You sparked me to look at iTunes and see if there is any impact yet... A few things that jumped out..

A) Yamin has an album? I'll have to see if it is any good.
B) Waiting on The World to change is #30, but it may have been high already
C) Geek In The Pink is 46 (my fiance contributed to that), but it also may have been high already
D) 5 of the top 100 songs on iTunes are from idol contestants, and only 1 is a winner (1 for Underwood, 2 for Daughtry, 1 for Yamin, 1 for McPhee). That's pretty impressive.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #607
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Did anyone notice that Sundance almost lost it (started laughing) when he replaced "harmless little fuck" with "harmless little punk"? He turned away and almost looked like he was trying not to laugh. For the rest of the performance, I was trying not to laugh/cringe.

Looked more like he turned to the girls, who I'd guess were giving him shit on how he was gonna change the verse and if he would remember to. But I also only saw it once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I found it absurd, btw, that none of the judges knew that song.

While it's still terrible, I could understand that they didn't know the name of the band, the name of the song, or even both. But to have never heard it before? Jesus.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #608
Ksyrup

Considering none of the judges were aware last year that the RHCPs had covered Higher Ground (their backpeddling the night after Daughtry's performance notwithstanding), I didn't find it all that hard to believe they'd never heard that song before. In fact, it had been so long since I'd heard it, I immediately thought it was 311 then wasn't sure, because Blake's laid back version of it neutered the original so much I started having second thoughts. But then he went into the part of the song that is in virtually every other 311 song I've ever heard, and I knew it was them.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #609
Logan
Head Coach

Wasn't that for Live's version of I Walk the Line?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #610
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I had never heard that 311 song before, so there.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #611
Ksyrup

Probably for both. But I specifically remember the uproar about the RHCP's version, which the judges lauded for being unique and that "he made it his own, dawg."

Oh, and how about Randy throwing out Steve Perry's name in comparison to The Insane Bald Guy? I thought my wife was going to strangle Randy through the TV set.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #612
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

That was an awful show to watch. Good thing I had it tivo'd and I could fast forward through most of it.
Blake and Chris were the best of the night while I think Jared and Sanjaya will go home.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM   #613
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

Oh yeah? I'd never heard of 311 before!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #614
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

I don't find it all that surprising that they didn't know the song. I haven't heard the song or group before either.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:15 PM   #615
Ksyrup

Funny comment from a recap of last night:

"Sundance reveals that inside him there is a thin man trying to escape. As he performs "Jeremy", we learn that it's not Eddie Vedder."
Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #616
Ksyrup

Ironic given the Captain America thread, but for the first time, I have found spoiler info about songs for tonight's show. How should this be handled? A link, no info, or post it after a big spoiler alert at the top of the post and a bunch of space?

This is info that I well understand is spoiler-worthy...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #617
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Ironic given the Captain America thread, but for the first time, I have found spoiler info about songs for tonight's show. How should this be handled? A link, no info, or post it after a big spoiler alert at the top of the post and a bunch of space?

first off - I'm baffled that this is obvious to you but the other thread is not, but I do understand your logic...

Anyways... I think a link is the right way to go.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #618
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

spill it spoiler boy
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #619
Ksyrup

Quote:
first off - I'm baffled that this is obvious to you but the other thread is not, but I do understand your logic...

Anyways... I think a link is the right way to go.

It's simple, really - if there was even one real news article discussing it, I might feel differently. But this is all speculation that isn't being reported by anyone other than college kids with nothing better to do all day.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #620
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
It's simple, really - if there was even one real news article discussing it, I might feel differently. But this is all speculation that isn't being reported by anyone other than college kids with nothing better to do all day.

Like I said, I understand the logic, it just baffles me.

FWIW, I don't think the C.A. thing should be a news story.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #621
Ksyrup

What the girls are singing tonight:

hxxp://mjsbigblog.com/2007/03/07/top-8-girls-spoilers/
Old 03-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #622
Drake
assmaster

Gina's rumored song choice terrifies me. That could be an unmitigated disaster.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #623
Ksyrup

Great, now we're going to have a bunch of posts with veiled references to some characteristics of the song choices, and I'm going to end up the bad guy in YET ANOTHER THREAD over spoilers!
Old 03-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #624
Drake
assmaster

You're a very bad man, K.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #625
Thomkal
Head Coach

Meant to ask this when I posted last night. I was talking over what Ryan said to the judges when Sanjaya finished his song. The judges cracked up, so Ryan must have said something funny for once. What was it?

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-07-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #626
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Meant to ask this when I posted last night. I was talking over what Ryan said to the judges when Sanjaya finished his song. The judges cracked up, so Ryan must have said something funny for once. What was it?
Sanjaya looks like a less codeined Paula.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #627
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

He was referring to Sanjaya hair. He said that Sanjaya has split ends like Paula.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #628
Thomkal
Head Coach

Ah thanks JB. And Easy Mac for the humor.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM   #629
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Gina's rumored song choice terrifies me. That could be an unmitigated disaster.

Looks like a fun choice to me. Could be a disaster, but should be interesting either way
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #630
MJ4H
Coordinator

"I just wish you could sing better."

-Simon Cowell

hahaha
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #631
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Looks like a fun choice to me. Could be a disaster, but should be interesting either way

I really like Evanescence sound mainly because of Amy's vocals. Good try but way short to me.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #632
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
I really like Evanescence sound mainly because of Amy's vocals. Good try but way short to me.

it was good for me until the very end... seemed kinda odd...

Too extreme for the audience...

nice pink bra showing thorugh the grey dress.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #633
RedKingGold
College Starter

Doolittle > Everyone else

Last edited by RedKingGold : 03-07-2007 at 08:09 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #634
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post

quite easily, too.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #635
wade moore
lolzcat

This is what I was hoping for all along from Gina. Is her voice as good as several of the other singers? No. However, I enjoyed her performance more than any of the other contestants tonight.

Overall, Gina and Jordin are still my favorite. I conced that Stephanie, Lakisha, and definitely Melinda are better singers. However, they have all stuck to performances that don't do it for me. From the females I prefer more pop or rock sound than gospel/mo-town/R&B. Sabrina seems to be in the middle somewhere, but she just doesn't sing as well.

Anyway. I'm curious to see how this moves along. The reason I say this is Lakisha, Melinda, and Sabrina seem like they would be drawing from people who favor pure singing quality and the r&b sound - whereas some of the other contestants could benefit from votes being split amongst those 3...

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #636
wade moore
lolzcat

Dola: And I still am curious to see how the "top 3" do with theme nights. Because they ahven't shown any effort to move outside of a small comfort zone.

Again - I concede they are superior singers, so don't misinterpret what i'm saying to say that they are not .

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #637
Drake
assmaster

1. I like Gina's voice, but she is no Amy Lee. Not quite a disaster, but I think it was bad enough that she loses out to the pro-Antonella crowd.

2. Melinda Doolittle just has a gear that no one else in this competition has.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:22 PM   #638
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:

See tonight, I don't think you can say that. Lakeesha was easily as good or better. Melinda was good but she didn't have her usual Secretariat crush the field by 20 lengths performance.

I thought Gina was a revelation tonight. She brought her game and has a good chance to hang around a long time if she sticks to her game. She should go back and watch Chris from last year. Almost every week, Chris took whatever the theme was, picked a song from the theme and proceeded to Daughtrify it. Gina can do the same thing, she can hang around a long time doing so. She sang powerfully (as opposed to a couple of the guys last night who chose to sing loud).

I thought Antonella improved a lot too. She can still go home for me based on back performance. Haley can go based on whatever criteria.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #639
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
Lakeesha was easily as good or better.

guh. no. out of tune (again).
Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #640
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

[quote=adubroff;1412971]See tonight, I don't think you can say that. Lakeesha was easily as good or better. Melinda was good but she didn't have her usual Secretariat crush the field by 20 lengths performance.
QUOTE]

What? She is not in not even in the same league as Lakisha anymore. She is completely in a different league, buy far. Lakisha struggled with the lower range of her song. And Melinda blew through another song with a high degree of difficultly as if it was nothing. She really has no business on this show. I can't imagine how she could possible lose this season.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #641
adubroff
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
What? She is not in not even in the same league as Lakisha anymore. She is completely in a different league, buy far. Lakisha struggled with the lower range of her song. And Melinda blew through another song with a high degree of difficultly as if it was nothing. She really has no business on this show. I can't imagine how she could possible lose this season.

I'll bet you even money if you wanna give me field.
adubroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #642
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Dola: And I still am curious to see how the "top 3" do with theme nights. Because they ahven't shown any effort to move outside of a small comfort zone.

Again - I concede they are superior singers, so don't misinterpret what i'm saying to say that they are not .

I don't think Melinda will have a problem with theme weeks at all. However, I do agree the the others may struggle unless they choose songs that have been previously rearranged to sound like R & B songs.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #643
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubroff View Post
I'll bet you even money if you wanna give me field.

The problem is that just because Doolittle is by far and away the best singer on AI does not mean that she'll win. Why? Because there are enough Antonella-like idiots who will vote for less talented people. However, even if Doolittle does not win, it does not change the fact that she is the best and most polished singer of all in this year's competition.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #644
MJ4H
Coordinator

1. Melinda - clean and polished, with all kinds of personality.
2. Lakisha - my first listen she sounded out of tune several times and the interpretation was odd, second listen while the son was screaming and my wife was watching it after getting home on DVR was much better.
3. Gina - only because of the song. It freakin ruled. She struggled with pitch and sustaining some of the longer notes, but what the hell is that song? It was badass.
5. Jordin - on merit basically. Was that Pat Benatar? okie dokie.
6. umm. the others start to run together. I think one of the Beyonce clones was a little better than the other, though.
7. Haley - She is pretty. Also she sang in tune except about twice. Beyond that, meh.
8. Oh are you still here?

Last edited by MJ4H : 03-07-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #645
Drake
assmaster

Honestly, I don't think Melinda will win because she doesn't have quite the back story tug that Lakeesha has.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 PM   #646
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
3. Gina - only because of the song. It freakin ruled. She struggled with pitch and sustaining some of the longer notes, but what the hell is that song? It was badass.

"Call me when you're sober" - Evanescence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izYIO9VtjUs

I wouldn't recommend that you listen to it if you liked Gina's performance, though. It will ruin it for you, 'cuz Gina is definitely no Amy Lee.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #647
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think Melinda will win because she doesn't have quite the back story tug that Lakeesha has.

Oooooo baby! Give me some of that tug!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #648
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Oooooo baby! Give me some of that tug!

why would you want any kind of "tug" from either of them?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 PM   #649
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
"Call me when you're sober" - Evanescence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izYIO9VtjUs

I wouldn't recommend that you listen to it if you liked Gina's performance, though. It will ruin it for you, 'cuz Gina is definitely no Amy Lee.

You know what, that song just freaking rules. I may have to listen to more "Evanescence." I have heard the name, but not really the music, I guess.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #650
Ksyrup

MJ4H, you and I need to have a discussion about symphonic/gothic metal. If you think that Evanescence song ruled, you ain't heard nothing yet. They might be the most popular of the genre, but the American bands have nothing on the Europeans. I'm currently listening to the new Within Temptation and it kills anything Amy Lee could hope to do.