Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-23-2022, 07:05 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

The Music thread - what is that song about?

As I work through building my mp3 collection, I've encountered songs where I love the rhythm, vocals etc. but made me wonder what was that about. This is not exclusive to the new songs but also older songs that I never bothered to delve deeper into.

So impulsively, I decided on a hobby to research particular songs more. I've read enough to know many of the songs I like have differing interpretations, so feel free to share your thoughts, correct me (or create your own).

No idea if I'll stay interested in doing this.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-23-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

(First up is a favorite of mine back in the day. Not near as sophisticated (?) as many contemporary stuff but I think it's stood the test of time fairly well)

Edge of Seventeen- Stevie Nicks

Record: Bella Donna, 1982

Awards:
In the United States, "Edge of Seventeen" just missed out on the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at No. 11. Despite this, it became one of Nicks' most enduring and recognizable songs and has been covered by several artists. In 2021, it was listed at No. 217 on Rolling Stone's "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time"

Lyrics: StevieÂ*Nicks – Edge of Seventeen Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
Official Video: Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen (Official Music Video) - YouTube
Favorite Video: Stevie Nicks - Edge of Seventeen - Live at Red Rocks Amphitheater, 5/11/22 - YouTube
Best Cover: I've looked/listened at several and haven't found a cover that I liked

Lyrics & Meaning:

Edge of Seventeen was originally supposed to be about Tom Petty and his wife (who met Tom when she was around seventeen). But Stevie said that in Dec 1980, John Lennon was killed and a close uncle passed away. She was not close to Lennon but someone she knew was, and so she changed it around some (don't know how much of the lyrics she had written by then though).

The "white winged dove" and "with their words of a poet" represents John Lennon & Peace.

I can also see where verses 1-5 also applies to Lennon (and uncle). But the last verse below doesn't seem to fit.
Well, I hear you (Well, I hear you)
In the morning (In the morning)
And I hear you (And I hear you)
At nightfall (At nightfall)
Sometimes to be near you
Is to be unable to hear you
My love
I'm a few years older than you, my love
(I'm a few years older than you)
So, the lyrics (in its entirety) don't make a lot of sense to me. I've read many say it's about the Lennon & uncle angle, but haven't read anything that explains the bolded. So, to me, it seems to be a mishmash of Lennon's death & Petty/wife, which is confusing.

Misc Notes:

Waddy Wachtel is the guitarist. I love the guitar riff, strumming at the beginning of the video and throughout.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-23-2022 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:58 PM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

Gangnam Style - Psy

Record: Psy 6 (Six Rules), 2012

Awards:

The music video is the most viewed of all time on YouTube (first to hit 1B views but superseded now) and the song had staying power as it charted at #2 on Billboard's Hot 100 for 7 consecutive weeks. Lots of other awards, but notable for not being nominated at the Grammy's that year.

Lyrics (translated): ę°•ë‚¨ěŠ¤íƒ€ěťĽ (Gangnam Style) (English Translation) – PSY | Genius Lyrics
Video: PSY - GANGNAM STYLE(ę°•ë‚¨ěŠ¤íƒ€ěťĽ) M/V - YouTube
Best Cover: I've not found one that I like. The Pentatonix version has been mentioned, but IMO their style doesn't work (e.g. lack of energy)

Lyrics & Meaning:

It's a satire making fun of Gangnam, the rich district in Seoul Gangnam district (aka Beverly Hills). Psy's description:
"Gangnam is a territory in Seoul, Korea. I describe it as noble at the daytime and going crazy at the night time. I compare ladies to the territory. So — noble at the daytime, going crazy at the night time — and the lyric says I am the right guy for the lady who is like that."
The chorus has
Quote:
Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style
And means ...
Quote:
And, if you're still lost on the word "Oppa," it means "older brother." The catchy chorus is supposed to be the equivalent of your guy having "Gangnam Style." We're guessing that's a good thing.
Misc Notes:

I like the beat but think the popularity & craze was because of the video & choreography

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-23-2022 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:19 AM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Bring Me To Life - Evanescence

Record: Fallen, 2003

Lyrics: Evanescence - Wake Me Up Inside Lyrics | SongMeanings
Official Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxaaGgTQYM
Favorite Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3MKTm-49uI
Honorable mention (Daredevil): Jennifer Garner as Elektra in Daredevil - Bring me to Life - YouTube
Best Cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk1GtYK7BJM
Amy sang the song with the Japanese Wagakki Band in 2020. It’s an interesting fusion of traditional Japanese instruments, very stylish, with a Japanese singer, and it works! IMO It’s up there with Disturbed's “Bridge over troubled waters”. Worth the 5 min to check it out
Awards:

"Bring Me to Life" peaked within the top 10 of more than 15 countries, and within the top 20 of several other countries, making it the band's most successful single to date. It was certified Platinum in 2003 for selling more than one million copies in the United States.

"Bring Me To Life" charted at number 73 on Billboard's Best of the 2000s Rock Songs Chart

Lyrics & Meaning:

Amy Lee was in an abusive relationship and her friend Josh Hartzler (now husband) picked it up and asked:
Quote:
‘Are you happy?’ It just caught me really off guard. I felt very exposed, but it felt good at the same time – like he could see me. ‘How can you see into my eyes like open doors?’”
(TBH, I'd think that's just a pickup line vs insight into her soul but that's just me )

The song is about her husband and how he helped her.

Christian community was all over it as Christian Rock but band released a statement:
Quote:
"...spiritual underpinning that ignited interest and excitement in the Christian religious community", Evanescence are "...a secular band, and as such view their music as entertainment."
Reading through the lyrics, I can see how it would be taken as Christian messaging. But there is that one verse that doesn’t fit e.g. “darling”
Quote:
Frozen inside without your touch,
Without your love, darling.
Only you are the life among the dead.
Misc Notes:

Featured in the Daredevil movie which helped its popularity

In 2006, Amy Lee told Billboard that she had always opposed Evanescence being identified as a Christian band.[76] She further added, "Can we please skip the Christian thing? I'm so over it. It's the lamest thing. I fought that from the beginning; I never wanted to be associated with it. It was a Ben thing. It's over. It's a new day." Assume Ben is Ben Moody, member of the band and also co-credited with writing the song. There’s probably a story there if I dig deeper.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-24-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Assume Ben is Ben Moody, member of the band and also co-credited with writing the song. There’s probably a story there if I dig deeper.

Yeah, it would be.

They basically reached the point that they couldn't stand each other (as he explained in a 2010 interview). They'd met when they were in their early teens and over the next decade went from best friends to more of a get-out-of-my-sight relationship. {shrug} it happens

He remains active with his band We Are The Fallen which includes two former Evanescence members
Old 10-24-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, quote on why he left

Quote:
On Lee and his departure from Evanescence:

“A cruel fact of life is that the person you are at 15, doesn’t resemble the person you are at 18 and 21… and today I in no way resemble the person I was when I was in Evanescence. Sometimes you grow together and sometimes you grow apart. We both contributed to the resentment of the deterioration of our friendship that quickly turned into a downward spiral of animosity, conflicting opinions, and a very volatile environment. By the time we went on tour to support [2003’s] Fallen, it sadly was over. Ironically, it was Amy and my absolute equal devotion to Evanescence that drove us to such extreme opposition. We had such opposing desires and personalities that mixed with the pride of youth and inexperience (and an extreme amount of insecurity and loss of direction on my part) led to an all out war.

And a great quote

Quote:
"That's the most rock-and-roll story in the world. No one can top it." On how he and Amy met in a youth camp.

Kinda sad to see 2 (at one time very close) friends split ways badly.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:26 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Kinda sad to see 2 (at one time very close) friends split ways badly.

It doesn't seem like too many people get along with her for more than a decade or so. #JusSayin

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-24-2022 at 07:26 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 07:29 PM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Clocks - Coldplay

Record: A Rush of Blood to the Head, 2002 (crap, has it been that long?)

Lyrics: Coldplay – Clocks Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
Official Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d020hcWA_Wg
Best Video: None. But thought the Gamecube DDR version was cute DDR Hottest Party - Clocks (Expert) - YouTube
Best Cover: None
Alicia Keys has a version but didn’t think it was that great
Not a cover but Chris Martin surprises 8th Grade Rock Band which is pretty cool. Thought it was worthy of mention Chris Martin of Coldplay Surprises the Crowd and Joins 8th Grade Rock Band - YouTube
Awards:

… reaching number 29 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number nine on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart. It was then released in the United Kingdom on 17 March 2003 as the third single from A Rush of Blood to the Head, reaching number nine on the UK Singles Chart. Music critics praised the song's piano melody, and it went on to win Record of the Year at the 2004 Grammy Awards.

"Clocks" is considered to be one of Coldplay's signature songs, and is often ranked among the greatest songs of the 2000s and of all time. In 2010, the single was placed at 490th on Rolling Stone's "500 Greatest Songs of All Time" list. In 2011, NME placed it amongst the "150 Best Tracks of the Past 15

Lyrics & Meaning:

Seems to be 3 interpretations (see below) and variations of the interpretations.

I think the lyrics are pretty consistent with A (with elements of B) and it's reading too much into it for C.
(A) The song appears to be about being in a tumultuous, heart-breaking relationship yet being deeply in love while time painfully ticks away. The singer, who can’t seem to conceptualize living without this love, is stricken powerless as all he seems to be able to do is watch as his relationship deteriorates. The song’s main theme is love.

(B) Transcends the realm of amorous love and rather deals with general existential matters. And once again, the entire situation is presented as having its challenges. So perhaps the simplest way of describing the entire scenario is one where the narrator questions whether or not he is using the life he has been granted in a constructive – or let’s ideal – manner.

(C) This song is spiritual in nature. Indeed Chris Martin, the lead singer of Coldplay, is recognized as being someone who openly believes in a Higher Power. So an alternate explanation of the lyrics may be that they recount his frustration in life due to deeming himself an unworthy and defeated individual, which is a consistent theme in Christianity. Such is definitely the disposition of the narrator in the first verse, no matter how you cut it. But then, as illustrated in the bridge, he is appreciating the addressee (i.e. God) as being an example the most-excellent part of existence. But potentially most-telling is the fact that the chorus, “you are”, is the third-person in relation to the phrase “I am”, which is how God often refers to Himself in the Bible.
Some Chris Martin quotes:

Quote:
“The song is about how even if we speak different languages and even if we come from different countries we all feel the same way about music about love and about good things in the world”.
Quote:
“This song is about feeling lost in the world & then finding someone you can share things with and then everything becomes okay”

Misc Notes:

The piano work is pretty damn good (to my uneducated ear).
Old 10-24-2022, 07:56 PM   #9
Edward64
Head Coach

A weird thought came to mind. I wonder what the "old classical masters" would think of the state of contemporary music nowadays.

Beyond some of the crude lyrics and weird looking artists, I'd like to think they would love modern music's creativity, instruments, vocals, melodies etc. and concert showmanship (?) ... but probably not.

There's a movie plot here.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

Barracuda - Heart

Record: Little Queen, 1977

Lyrics: Heart - Barracuda Lyrics | SongMeanings
Video: Heart - "Barracuda" (1977) - YouTube
Best Video: None. But appreciate the 2 older rock stars jamming together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P8HD0fbZso
Cover: Heart "Barracuda" Cover by Moriah Formica and @Brooke C - YouTube
Didn’t know who Moriah Formica was but she does a fantastic cover. Looked her up.
Quote:
Now nearly 20 years old, Miss Formica has forged a promising future for herself by gaining support from rock heavyweights such as Halestorm’s Lzzy Hale who states that Moriah is “The future of rock,” Maroon 5’s Adam Levine who calls her “The next great female rock singer,” and Miley Cyrus, who simply considers her a “Rock Goddess.”
Awards:

On May 22nd 1977, "Barracuda" by Heart entered Billboard's Hot Top 100 chart at position #84; fifteen weeks later on August 28th, 1977 it would peaked at #11 {for 1 week} and it stayed on the chart for 20 weeks...

And on October 8th, 1977 it peaked at #2 {for 1 week} on the Canadian RPM Singles chart

Lyrics & Meaning:

It’s about scummy people in the music industry.

Quote:
... anger towards an ad Mushroom Records placed in trade publications implying that Ann and Nancy were lesbians having an affair. The song focuses on Ann's rage towards a promoter who came up to her after a concert in Detroit asking how her "lover" was. She initially thought he was talking about her then-boyfriend - band member Michael Fisher. After the promoter revealed he was talking about her sister Nancy Wilson

Song references a porpoise and barracuda. Porpoise is sister Nancy, Barracuda is the scummy guy.

Misc Notes:

Some controversy about Palin using it in the 2008 RNC National Convention. The campaign did get the “performance rights” but not the Heart’s “permission”. Heart said they donated the proceeds to the Obama campaign.

Quote:
When Heart entered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013, they played "Barracuda" last in a 3-song set. By this time, the Wilson sisters were the only original members still with the band, but it was the Little Queen lineup that got inducted: Roger Fisher, Howard Leese, Michael DeRosier and Steve Fossen. There was some bad blood between the Wilsons and their former bandmates, and at first, Ann and Nancy ruled out a reunion. In the end, they appeased fans by performing "Crazy On You" with the classic lineup, but did "Barracuda" with their current band along with some of their Seattle-based friends: Chris Cornell (who inducted them), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) and Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains).

The guitar riff is fantastic.
Quote:
Wilson said their 1977 hit "Barracuda" was lifted from a contemporary band, and they weren't too pleased about that.

"We had been touring and opening for a band called Nazareth in Europe," she noted. "Nazareth had a hit with this Joni Mitchell song that they covered called ‘This Flight Tonight’ that kind of had that riff, so we kind of borrowed that and we made it into ‘Barracuda.’"

Looked it up, and sure enough ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylW6sC6NNhY

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-25-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
A weird thought came to mind. I wonder what the "old classical masters" would think of the state of contemporary music nowadays.

Beyond some of the crude lyrics and weird looking artists, I'd like to think they would love modern music's creativity, instruments, vocals, melodies etc. and concert showmanship (?) ... but probably not.

There's a movie plot here.

I just read an article where David Crosby was bitching about ... Iron Maiden. Like, Paleozoic complaining about Mesozoic being "noise."

I'm sure you have your Tony Bennett types who openly enjoy (and perform with) contemporary artists, but for many old artists, "old" trumps "artist."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

Not an Iron Maiden fan, so not going to disagree with Crosby. Now if was to say that about GnR or Aerosmith or Led Zeppelin ...

My initial thought was Tony Bennett only collaborates with women. But I was wrong. Kudos to him.

Top 10 Tony Bennett Duets - American Songwriter
Old 10-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #13
Ksyrup

The funny thing about calling out an old school metal band is that metal is so much a part of the mainstream that it's now used in commercials. It used to be threatening and misunderstood, but like a lot of things, 30-40 years later, much of it is tame compared to what came later. But Iron Maiden specifically... they write a ton of songs about history and poetry. They are about as highbrow as metal gets, not to mention the singer has an operatic style very much apart from the more unintelligible vocal styles that are popular these days. Just a weird band to call out...

Of course, the irony is that a couple of days later, the lead singer for Maiden criticized people for smoking weed at their concerts and got blasted. It's like the circle of life.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-25-2022, 03:31 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay. I don't have any Iron Maiden on my list of mp3 to collect.

But just because of your comment, I'll google on their Top-5 and give it a shot
Old 10-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Of course, the irony is that a couple of days later, the lead singer for Maiden criticized people for smoking weed at their concerts and got blasted.

To be a little clearer, it wasn't entirely random, that was brought on by it being up front & pretty heavy smoke coming onto the stage. He noted that Steve Harris haaaates the smell and "it fucks him up", as well as Bruce himself not wanting to try to sing through it.

(point being, it wasn't just some sort of "don't smoke weed m'kay" rant, it was more of a "don't bury us in a cloud, have some fn respect" rant)
Old 10-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Wake Me Up - Avicii

Record: True, 2013

Lyrics: Avicii – Wake Me Up Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
Official Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcrbM1l_BoI
Cover: Tebey (feat. Emerson Drive) Wake Me Up - Official Lyric Video - YouTube
Ava Max also did a cover which I thought was pretty well produced but her glitz/outfits distracted from the spirit of the song IMO. See here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNljuISlB6w
Awards:

On the US Billboard Hot 100, the song peaked at number 4.

It peaked in the top 10 in more than 15 countries and topped international charts;[3][4][5][6] the lead single, "Wake Me Up", topped most music markets in Europe and reached number four in the United States.

Having been viewed over 2 billion times, the music video for “Wake Me Up” is one of the most viewed videos on YouTube.

The song made history in the United States by becoming the first electronic/dance song to ever sell over 4 million units in that country.

Lyrics & Meaning:

Lyrics are pretty clear cut (thank God) and you don’t need to wonder WTF did that line mean.

Quote:
… while on a tour in Europe, he suddenly came to the realization that the life he was living was too good for him to believe.
Quote:
According to Blacc, while on the road, he kept thinking to himself that the incredible heights he had reached in life was “such a dream” and that someone should wake him up “when it’s all over”. He said the sudden realization of his unbelievably good life gave birth to the lyrics of “Wake Me Up”.

Misc Notes:

Bummer.

Quote:
Bergling retired from touring in 2016, after several years of stress and poor mental health.[11] On 20 April 2018, he committed suicide while on holiday in Muscat, Oman. In 2019, his third and final album, Tim, was released posthumously.[12]
Quote:
Bergling explained, "You have to give something back. I am so fortunate to be in the position where I can actually do that. I feel lucky every day when I wake up and am able to do what I love and make a living." In addition to donating $1 million to Feeding America, a charity founded by John van Hengel, House for Hunger has helped fund the efforts of The Feed Foundation, started by Laura Bush,[162] allowing it to distribute over 2 million school meals throughout Africa.[163] He also supported campaigns against human trafficking and gang violence when he directed the videos for his tracks "For a Better Day" and "Pure Grinding".

Seems like an overall good guy and wanted to do good for society. Very sad he had to fight his internal demons. I wonder how many successful artists/bands donate their $ and time to help out?
Old 10-25-2022, 03:45 PM   #17
Ksyrup

Quote:
Okay. I don't have any Iron Maiden on my list of mp3 to collect.

But just because of your comment, I'll google on their Top-5 and give it a shot

I wrote my 11th grade English paper on Rime of the Ancient Mariner solely because of Iron Maiden.

Of course, you either like the music/style or not, but to call it "noise" is pretty stupid, IMO.

Anyway, here's a good primer:

Iron Maiden History Lessons: Songs About War, Religion and More
Old 10-25-2022, 04:55 PM   #18
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I just read an article where David Crosby was bitching about ... Iron Maiden. Like, Paleozoic complaining about Mesozoic being "noise."

I'm sure you have your Tony Bennett types who openly enjoy (and perform with) contemporary artists, but for many old artists, "old" trumps "artist."

I was googling on Iron Maiden videos and one thing led to another. Found the CartierFamily.

5 younger black adults looking at older singer/bands (so reverse of what we were talking about). Kinda fun, they did a "review" of Barracuda

First Time Hearing Heart - "Barracuda" - YouTube

and Unchained Melody (!). Not on my mp3 list but will add it to my 60-70s collection. That Righteous Brother had some serious vocal chords/control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4zwm2gSnaA

One of their quotes:

Quote:
Nobody sing like that nowadays.

I don't know if anyone can sing that way nowadays.

Which made me wonder if there are any contemporary artists that are like those "crooners" (?) from the 50s-60s. I guess Tony Bennett falls under that category but his vocal chords are past their prime.

I'm liking these "reaction" videos. Some are done by professionals, but most by regular folks.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-25-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:41 PM   #19
Ksyrup

I love true reaction videos, mostly those done by actual musicians critiquing artists or explaining the technique that makes them so good.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:34 PM   #20
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

better off in the dynasty forum
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #21
Edward64
Head Coach

Nah, someone will complain about it being off-topic
Old 10-25-2022, 07:35 PM   #22
Edward64
Head Coach

Jar of Hearts – Christina Perri

Record: The Ocean Way Sessions, 2010

Official Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM
Best Video: GLEE - Jar Of Hearts (Full Performance) HD - YouTube
Below is a video from “So You Think You Can Dance”. I’m no pro but really didn’t think the dance/ballet routine fit the song. So You Think You Can Dance: Billy Bell - Jar of Hearts (No Audience Sounds) - YouTube
But I read this is the one that introduced her to a bunch of people
Best Cover: None.
Twenty One Pilots did a cover but it was weird with a guy signing the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeJq8ejxLF4
Lyrics: ChristinaÂ*Perri – Jar of Hearts Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Awards:

Spending twenty-three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100, the song peaked at number seventeen.[18] Peaking at number fifteen after eleven weeks on the Pop Songs Chart, the ringtone version of the song has peaked at number twenty-one on the Ringtones chart after seven weeks.[18] The song spent 72 weeks on the Hot Digital Songs chart, despite missing the top fifteen of the Hot 100. As of June 2014, the song has sold over 3,798,000 digital copies in the US alone,[19]

Elsewhere, "Jar of Hearts" peaked at No. 2 in Australia and the Republic of Ireland, No. 3 in the Czech Republic and No. 4 in the United Kingdom and Finland. The song has remained in the UK Singles Chart for 27 weeks.[20]

Lyrics & Meaning:

Quote:
"Jar of Hearts" has been described as an autobiographical song for Perri, recalling an ex-boyfriend who wanted to reconnect after a tough breakup
Quote:
Perri described that the song came from true experiences, stating "I wrote the song after I went home to Philadelphia for the holiday last December. I sat in my childhood bedroom and hid from the boy (with the jar of hearts) who wanted to see me. My heart wanted to see him, my head knew better. I couldn't take one more break so I wrote the song instead."[

Misc Notes:

Quote:
She did a lot of touring before shifting her focus to family. In 2017, she got married, and in 2018 had her first child, a daughter named Carmella.

TBH, I’m not sure I really like this song. The lyrics & melody are pretty, but her voice is “off” to me (yes, it’s probably me).

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-25-2022 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #23
Edward64
Head Coach

Crazy – Gnarls Barkley (aka CeeLo Green & Danger Mouse)

Record: St. Elsewhere, 2006

Official Video: Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (Official Video) - YouTube
I get the idea behind the official trailer but boy, was it not entertaining
Best Video: Gnarls Barkley- - - " Crazy " ( H Q ) - YouTube Much better. The official is not hard to beat IMO
Honorable mention: a fun “Star Wars” version Gnarls Barkley Crazy - MTV 2006 (Legendado) - YouTube
Best Cover: "Crazy" (Gnarls Barkley) - Angela Ricci - YouTube I don’t know who Angela Ricci is but she has a beautiful voice
Lyrics: GnarlsÂ*Barkley – Crazy Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Awards:

Grammy for “Best Urban/Alternative Performance”.

Rolling Stone named it as the ‘Best Song of the Year’ in 2006.

When the album St. Elsewhere was released in the United States on May 9, 2006, the song had debuted at number 91 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song reached the top 40 on May 23, 2006. In the summer of 2006, "Crazy" spent seven consecutive weeks in the number two spot, below Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous" for four weeks and Fergie's "London Bridge" for an additional three weeks. It became the year's first single to peak at number two and never reach number one. The song also charted well on other charts, hitting number seven on the US Modern Rock chart and number 53 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Tracks. As of June 2013, the song has sold 3,401,000 downloads copies in the United States.[24]

Lyrics & Meaning:

Quote:
there was a time in the industry where the individual adult was celebrated. You had Elton John and Alice Cooper. You had these people who you could celebrate being an idiosyncratic, caricature. It could all be embellished.
:
“But there’s also an underbelly that is in opposition against the individual. So, I’m saying that to say this: the song, ‘Crazy,’ is more or less about the idea,

Quote:
In the first verse he recounts when he ‘lost his mind’. And he ultimately came to the realization that the reason he “was out of touch” wasn’t due to some type of mental deficiency per se but rather as a result of ‘knowing too much’. And in being so, he insinuates that his level of thinking is actually on a higher level than that of the next man. Finally, in the chorus he asks if possessing such a mindframe indeed makes him “crazy”.
Quote:
The second verse is based on the idea that even some people who may think they are sane and “in control” are indeed “crazy”, at least in the eyes of the singer.
Quote:
The final verse is actually the most-poetic of the track. The general interpretation of this section is that CeeLo Green is once again questioning his own sanity, but this time he throws his “heroes” into the fray. This passage comes off as if his “heroes” are the likes of entertainers who preceded him who “had the heart to lose their lives out on the limb” in order to succeed. So basically they were willing to put it all on the line in the pursuit of success. And based on the theme of the song, it would point back to the idea of they too being a tad “crazy”. And CeeLo has adopted this selfsame attitude, thus potentially making him “crazy” also.

Misc Notes:

The track, which won a Grammy in 2007, was inspired by Spaghetti Western film scores—specifically, the song “Last Men Standing” by Gian Piero Reverberi and Gian Franco Reverberi. “Crazy” samples that track and the original songwriters for the tune are credited by Gnarles Barkley. Here’s the song Last Men Standing - YouTube

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-26-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:28 PM   #24
Edward64
Head Coach

Stay – Rihanna & Mikky Ekko

Record: Unapologetic, 2013

Official Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8BRvqGCNs
Best Video: Rihanna ft. Mikky Ekko - Stay (Live At Grammy 2013) - YouTube Grammy performance
Best Cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3-aqyj2a4 Ekko does a solo
Lyrics: Rihanna – Stay Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Awards:

reached number one in Denmark and Israel and the top five in sixteen countries worldwide including Australia, France, Germany, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

It has also charted at number three on the US Billboard Hot 100, becoming Rihanna's twenty-fourth top ten on the chart, thus surpassing Whitney Houston's tally.

Furthermore, it has charted at number 15 on the US Pop Songs chart.

It won the award for Song of the Year at the iHeartRadio Music Awards in 2014.

Lyrics & Meaning:

Quote:
Rihanna’s “Stay” speaks about a person who needs a level of certainty in a dysfunctional relationship. The narrator depicts her willingness to be with this man, but is tired of the uncertainties in the relationship.
Quote:
She asks him to tell her if he’s really into this so they can stop the cycle of breakups and makeups. At the same time, she doesn’t really understand why she loves him or feels like she cannot live without him, but this is the very reason why she wants him to stay. It seems the reason behind the unstable relationship is that both of them are selfish. They are both in the dark because neither of them wants to admit that they are wrong. She realizes this and in the end acknowledges that she needs him to be complete.

Misc Notes:

Vin Diesel did an awful cover IMO. But give him credit for trying Vin Diesel covers Rihanna's "Stay" HD - YouTube
Old 10-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #25
Edward64
Head Coach

(This was definitely not originally on my radar. But I heard it on the movie Bullet Train and then remembered hearing it way back when. )

Sukiyahi (real name is “Ue O Muite Aruko”)– Kyu Sakamoto

Record: ???, 1961

Official Video: None that I could find
Best Video: Sukiyaki Kyu Sakamoto FULL SONG ReEdit STEREO ReMix HiQ Hybrid JARichardsFilm 720p - YouTube
Best Cover: There’s several neat (but yeah, corny) ones out there
Katy Jones - A Taste of Honey - Sukiyaki (1980) - YouTube
Taste of Honey - A Taste Of Honey Sukiyaki on American Bandstand (Remastered) - YouTube (Americanized version)
Also, I did find the Bullet Train version but it was just a pic and did not find a live/choreographed version Soundtrack #12 | Sukiyaki | Bullet Train (2022) - YouTube
Lyrics: Sukiyaki Song - Lyrics in Japanese & English - Smile Nihongo (Japanese & English translation)

Awards:

In the US, "Sukiyaki" topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1963, one of the few non-English songs to have done so, and the first in a non-European language. It was the only single by an Asian artist to top the Hot 100 until the 2020 release of "Dynamite" by the South Korean band BTS.[5] "Sukiyaki" also peaked at number eighteen on the Billboard R&B chart,[6] and spent five weeks at number one on the Middle of the Road chart.[7]

Lyrics & Meaning:

Note that this is really an anti-American occupation of Japan song/sentiment.

"Ue o Muite Arukō" (pronounced [ɯe o mɯite aɾɯkoꜜː]) was written by lyricist Rokusuke Ei and composer Hachidai Nakamura. The lyrics tell the story of a man who looks up and whistles while he is walking so that his tears will not fall, with the verses describing his memories and feelings. Ei wrote the lyrics while walking home from participating in the 1960 Anpo protests against the U.S.-Japan Security Treaty, expressing his frustration and dejection at the failed efforts to stop the treaty.

However, the lyrics were purposefully generic so that they might refer to any lost love.[2][3]

The English-language lyrics of the version recorded by A Taste of Honey are not a translation of the original Japanese lyrics, but instead a completely different set of lyrics arranged to the same basic melody.

Misc Notes:

Quote:
So how did this American disc jockey get a copy of the original song? Marsha Cunningham gave us the answer. She explained to us: "In 1961-2 I was a high school student at The American School In Japan, living in Zushi, Japan. My dad was a pilot for Japan Airlines. While enjoying a Japanese movie staring Kyu Sakamoto, I heard the most unbelievably beautiful song. I purchased the record at a local shop and brought it back to the states the next year when I attended a girl's boarding school in Sierra Madre, California. I played it in the dormitory frequently; everyone liked it. One girl took my record home with her on the weekend so her dad could play it on his radio station, and the rest is history!"
Quote:
A Taste of Honey vocalist Janice-Marie Johnson would recall how at age nine she had heard Kyu Sakamoto's "Sukiyaki" on the radio in the summer of 1963 and said: "Mom! Buy me this record!", as despite not understanding the lyrics she was deeply moved by the song. Constantly playing the single, Johnson phonetically learned its lyrics and taught them to her sister, with the pair participating in neighborhood talent shows singing "Sukiyaki" while performing their approximation of an Oriental dance number.[23] Years later, after A Taste of Honey had scored their 1978 number-one hit "Boogie Oogie Oogie", Johnson heard the Linda Ronstadt hit remake of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "Ooo Baby Baby" on her car radio causing Johnson to realize that remaking a 1960s hit could be a good career move for A Taste of Honey
Quote:
An instrumental version of the song was played by NASA over the radio for the Gemini VII astronauts as mood music, thereby becoming one of the first pieces of music sent to humans in space.[19]
Quote:
In the summer of 2021, the song was performed during the closing ceremony of the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo (which had been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic).

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-27-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #26
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I wrote my 11th grade English paper on Rime of the Ancient Mariner solely because of Iron Maiden.

Of course, you either like the music/style or not, but to call it "noise" is pretty stupid, IMO.

Anyway, here's a good primer:

Iron Maiden History Lessons: Songs About War, Religion and More

Sorry man.

I can honestly say that I watched "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", "Hallowed be thy Name" and "Phantom of the Opera" ... and I'm just not a metal guy.

But I did read background on them and it is pretty cool how they tell complex stories.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-27-2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #27
Ksyrup

Oh yeah, I get it - you either like metal or not. But they are far from "noise" and about as close to modern day classical music and cultured as metal gets.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:15 PM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

(Was debating on YMCA so dug deeper. It was big in the Disco era. In full transparency, I did enjoy the song back in the early 80’s but not sure it’s stood the test of time for me. It was fun though)

YMCA – Village People

Record: Crusin’, 1978

Official Video: Village People - YMCA OFFICIAL Music Video 1978 - YouTube
Best Cover: Pepsi Dancing Bears Village People YMCA spoof commercial 1997 - YouTube (Pepsi version)
Honorable mention: America's Got Talent - Christopher - Village People - YMCA - YouTube (Fun! see starting 3:30)
For Ksyrup, a metal version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmO...&start_radio=1
Lyrics: VillageÂ*People – Y.M.C.A. Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

Awards:

In December 2020, "Y.M.C.A." was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.[7]
the song reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts in early 1979, placing behind both "Le Freak" by Chic and "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" by Rod Stewart.[3]

the song went to number 1 in a whopping 14 countries, including the United Kingdom, Australia and Israel.

VH1 placed "Y.M.C.A." at #7 on their list of "100 Greatest Dance Songs" in 2000,[31] while Paste Magazine ranked the song #1 on their list of "The 60 Best Dancefloor Classics" in February 2017.[32]

Lyrics & Meaning:

Quote:
Based on the first verse, this individual is ‘new in town’ and for the most part appears to be stranded, i.e. homeless and broke. And basically, the band is telling him that the Y.M.C.A. is the place to go. More specifically they (the Y.M.C.A.) will take care of his basic needs. Moreover he will meet others like himself whom he can have “fun” with.
Quote:
In the second verse, the Village People actually imply that the Y.M.C.A. will also be able to help him get his life on track, as in aspire towards realizing his “dreams”. And the young man appears to be too proud to actually seek help from a charitable organization. But they’re letting him know that he needs to swallow his pride and seek the appropriate help.
Quote:
Indeed in the third verse the singer empathizes with the addressee directly by stating that he was once in the selfsame position. At one time he also faced dire straits and believed that no one cared, and the world, as it is, is a deceptive place. Or a simpler way of looking at it is that he was depressed. But just as he is now advising the young man, someone too had advised him to seek help from the Y.M.C.A. And apparently everything turned out favorably, considering how he is now espousing the institution.

Misc Notes:

In September 2000 "Y.M.C.A." was used as the Space Shuttle wake-up call on day 11 of STS-106.[4]

In 2009, "Y.M.C.A." set a Guinness World Record when over 44,000 people danced to Village People's live performance of the song at the 2008 Sun Bowl game in El Paso, Texas.[5]

And one of the reasons the song was so popular in Europe at the time (where it reached number 1 in 10 countries) as opposed to the U.S. was apparently attributable to the fact that back in those days American artists didn’t tend to make music videos. That is even though the Village People are an American band, MTV (i.e. a television station that regularly aired music videos) did not yet exist in the United States. However, in Europe videos had already become more of a standard.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-27-2022 at 09:18 PM.