Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2023, 08:49 PM   #301
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW a top 10 list of where to find life.

Mars is actually #1 followed by #2 Europa.

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...system-ranked/
Quote:
The best places to find extraterrestrial life in our solar system, ranked
If there’s alien life nearby, where are we most likely to find it?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 11:30 AM   #302
Edward64
Head Coach

Sept 24.

Day we may find some extraterrestial life.

The article also talks about how/what the recovery steps are which I thought interesting.

OSIRIS-REx sample return: What to expect | The Planetary Society
Quote:
After a seven-year journey to asteroid Bennu and back, NASA’s OSIRIS-REx spacecraft is returning to Earth with a coffee mug-sized sample of rocks and dust that could help us understand our very origins.

OSIRIS-REx is scheduled to drop off its precious cargo on Sept. 24, 2023
Okay, I may be exaggerating, but interesting quote ...

Quote:
The OSIRIS-REx team will take samples of the soil and air at the landing site. These will be vital later if scientists detect the molecular precursors to life in the Bennu samples. By comparing these important findings with sample site readings, the team can ensure the samples don’t contain Earthly contaminants.

This is what it looks like

Old 09-23-2023, 06:52 PM   #303
Edward64
Head Coach

Capsule with asteroid samples touching down Sun 10:55am ET. If you live in Utah, look outside ...

Frakking amazing science & math.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-as...-earth-sunday/
Quote:
... the capsule decelerates along a trajectory toward a 37-mile-long landing zone at the Army's Dugway Proving Ground and Utah Test and Training Range.
Quote:
... it's expected to descend to a gentle 11-mph touchdown at 10:55 a.m. ET, bringing a seven-year, four-billion-mile journey to an end.

Old 09-23-2023, 06:54 PM   #304
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

So that is where the zombie infection is going to come from?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 06:56 PM   #305
Edward64
Head Coach

I read an article that documented the process to "securely" recover the samples, avoid contamination etc.

But yeah, if somehow it breaks up over California & Utah, watch out ...
Old 09-23-2023, 09:07 PM   #306
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Sept 24.

Day we may find some extraterrestial life.

The article also talks about how/what the recovery steps are which I thought interesting.

OSIRIS-REx sample return: What to expect | The Planetary Society

Okay, I may be exaggerating, but interesting quote ...

This is what it looks like

let's call him patient zero
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 02:37 AM   #307
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Another positive for the possibility of life on Europa; James Webb has detected carbon dioxide from an 'internal source', that is originating from the oceans there. There lots of words like 'think' and 'implies' in the statements, but still encouraging.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 05:59 AM   #308
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
let's call him patient zero

That is pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Another positive for the possibility of life on Europa; James Webb has detected carbon dioxide from an 'internal source', that is originating from the oceans there. There lots of words like 'think' and 'implies' in the statements, but still encouraging.

Looked it up. Nice.

You know how India was able to put a rover on the Moon for < $100M ... NASA should team up with them and outsource the production of probes. I get the quality control may not be up to NASA's standards, but does that really matter when talking about probes (e.g. not astronauts) and India can probably produce 10+ for what it costs us to produce 1?

James Webb telescope finds potential signature of life on Jupiter's icy moon Europa | Live Science
Quote:
Europa, which is a little bit smaller than Earth's moon, is covered with a crust of water ice enveloping a saltwater ocean. The presence of liquid water makes Europa an intriguing object of exploration for scientists interested in extraterrestrial life. But until now, no one had shown that the ocean contained the proper molecules, particularly carbon, which is a fundamental building block of life on Earth.

The new detection by JWST is intriguing because the carbon dioxide does not seem to have been carried by a meteorite or asteroid, and it appears in a geologically young region of the moon called Tara Regio, suggesting the gas may have formed within the moon itself.
Old 09-24-2023, 07:24 AM   #309
Edward64
Head Coach

For those interested, NASA live stream (starts at 10am ET)

Quote:
OSIRIS-REx Asteroid Sample Return (Official 4K NASA Broadcast)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdwyqctp908
Old 09-24-2023, 08:15 AM   #310
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Re: outsourcing probes, I don't think that's a good idea. Quality control may or may not be an issue, but I do think that's still important with unmanned probes. The associated PR if a mission fails, launching the probe in the first place is a big deal and far worse than the monetary cost.

- Probes aren't actually that expensive compared to the big picture; even a more expensive one like Perseverance cost less than 10% of NASA's annual budget, which is a half a percent or less of the total federal budget. In the grand scheme of things we are spending very very little on these. Still better to get them cheaper obviously, but basically these aren't amounts that matter much.

- Outsourcing the production also means giving away the technology we are developing and using. No thanks.

I'm all in favor of doing joint endeavors with other countries, and hopefully eventually just doing all of humanity's space endeavors under one unified effort. But just having them build stuff for us to do it cheaper? Nah.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 09-24-2023 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:17 AM   #311
Thomkal
Head Coach

Before the probe lands and infects us all, I'd just like to say its been an honor knowing you all.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:21 AM   #312
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
- Outsourcing the production also means giving away the technology we are developing and using. No thanks.

Yeah, you're right. India is far behind in space technology but no doubt they can catch up quicker if given a jump start.

FWIW. I'm watching the NASA live-stream right now. Queen's Brian May just showed up, he's a fan and got a book out about this. Pretty cool.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:45 AM   #313
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Before the probe lands and infects us all, I'd just like to say its been an honor knowing you all.
Well. some of you.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #314
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
But yeah, if somehow it breaks up over California & Utah, watch out ...

Parachute deployed, no unexpected breakup.

I think we're safe from any space virus. Next step, transport to the Wuhan labs.
Old 09-24-2023, 02:01 PM   #315
Thomkal
Head Coach

NASA's Twitter thread seems to have some good pics of the probe landing and recovery.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:41 AM   #316
Edward64
Head Coach

Welp, its been about 47 hours since landing. I assume this means they didn't find a space worm, ant etc. in their sample.

Next steps are:

Quote:
The Bennu sample – an estimated 8.8 ounces, or 250 grams – will be transported in its unopened canister by aircraft to NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston on Monday, Sept. 25. Curation scientists there will disassemble the canister, extract and weigh the sample, create an inventory of the rocks and dust, and, over time, distribute pieces of Bennu to scientists worldwide.
Old 09-26-2023, 08:57 PM   #317
Edward64
Head Coach

First look.

Scientists just opened the lid to NASA’s asteroid sample canister | Ars Technica
Quote:
The lid is open on the OSIRIS-REx sample return canister, revealing a tantalizing ring of dust outside the main sample collection chamber.
Quote:
"By Friday, we should have a pretty good sense of what the quick-look analysis is telling us (about the dust)," Lauretta said. "First of all, do we, in fact, have asteroid dust? That's the first thing. Is it the kind of material that we expected, based on the remote sensing that we did at the asteroid? And how does that feed into our sample analysis plan, which we've been writing over the past two years in great detail?

"That's just the dust that we can visibly see right now. The real treasure is inside TAGSAM, which we're not going to get access to until probably late next week, and that is going to be a very deliberative process to figure out what is the nature of that collection, and how do we fairly distribute it to our international partners, to the science team for OSIRIS-REx, and also preserve the long-term integrity for future researchers."
Old 10-10-2023, 01:02 PM   #318
Edward64
Head Coach

NASA's press team is really doing a crappy job. They need to hire some PR firm to help them out.

I realized I hadn't seen an update lately on the samples so dug around. Wed Oct 11 press conference.

NASA to Host Asteroid Sample Media Call; Provide Experts for Interviews - NASA
Quote:
Following a public unveiling of the United States’ first asteroid sample at 11 a.m. EDT Wednesday, Oct. 11, NASA will host a media teleconference and separate in-person interviews in English and Spanish with experts from the agency and the University of Arizona.
:
The unveiling event at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston will air live on NASA TV, the NASA app, and the agency’s website.

The media teleconference will begin at 2:30 pm EDT and include members of the OSIRIS-REx science team. Audio of the call will stream live at:

NASA TV Live - NASA

In addition, subject matter experts are available for interviews beginning at 2:30 p.m. CDT (3:30 p.m. EDT), Oct. 11, in-person and remotely:
Old 10-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #319
GrantDawg

Quote:
NASA's press team is really doing a crappy job. They need to hire some PR firm to help them out.

I realized I hadn't seen an update lately on the samples so dug around. Wed Oct 11 press conference.

NASA to Host Asteroid Sample Media Call; Provide Experts for Interviews - NASA
The NASA scientist study the sample has supposedly requested "more brains."
Old 10-10-2023, 04:25 PM   #320
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64

To publicize what? There's not much to say about the asteroid sample yet. Certainly nothing that the average person would care about. Japan has already done this kind of thing, albeit in smaller amounts.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-10-2023 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:41 PM   #321
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
To publicize what? There's not much to say about the asteroid sample yet. Certainly nothing that the average person would care about. Japan has already done this kind of thing, albeit in smaller amounts.

In addition to doing the science they are committed to, if I was head of NASA, I'd want to take every opportunity to (1) promote NASA's people & accomplishments and (2) create/feed the excitement with those already predisposed to be excited about science, space exploration etc.

To answer your question, they've had it for 2 weeks now. We've had pretty much zippo news or updates. They should be widely pushing out what information they have. The best way of doing that (for the targeted group), is leveraging what is already there. The infrastructure is already ready to go, relatively low cost.
  • StarTalk with Neil/Chuck, Joe Scott and any other influencers (incl. international) that have X number of subscribers.
Do the chat with Neil. Even if there aren't any completed analysis, plenty of people would be interested in seeing more pictures, Patreon subscribers doing Q&A with the scientists, learning what tests have been (or will be) run, where is Osiris going to next and that other asteroid, bring in the scientists from the other countries that are supposed to be getting samples etc.

Neil & Chuck will take care of the rest (they always do). I'd bet any of those influencers will move things around to make room for a NASA chat. After StarTalk, rinse and repeat.

So, I would approach it as a marketing/sales campaign to generate interest. IMO what I'm getting is a bunch of tech/nerds that don't know how (or don't think it's important) to communicate to the regular people.

Bonus: have a live feed of the capsule & publicize the opening and taking out the samples, or any other key activities. If there are security concerns, then time delay it (e.g. if a space worm crawls out unexpectedly).

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-10-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 06:39 PM   #322
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
To answer your question, they've had it for 2 weeks now. We've had pretty much zippo news or updates.

A lot of that is it just being a slow process. Science inherently is. It's like how after JWST takes a 'picture' of whatever, actually getting that in a form where it can be reasonably shown to the public takes time, and often there isn't .... anything interesting to show. It takes a few months if people are working really hard and quickly on it to analyze the data and get research papers done, at which point new proposals are made for like 6-12 months after that in terms of what we'd like to get more data on based on what the first round of images found.

Stuff like live camera of opening the capsule ... I mean what's in it is rocks and dust, almost certainly visually indistinguishable from the average person's backyard. Potentially interesting science takes a lot longer that two weeks to even get started on. It's like the camera they put on Artemis I. People threw a fit that JWST didn't have one, even though it would have compromised the mission, and then the Artemis camera was ... aggressively boring and largely ignored, because of course it was, because you can get a lot more information from telemetry than a live feed when 99.99% of the time there is nothing visually interesting happening whatsoever.

It feels to me like what's being looked for is something that moves at the speed of modern news/social media. Science is not that and never will be. They have people going on shows like StarTalk all the time and talking about actual results, which is when it matters. As soon as new findings come out about this or that there are plenty of creators putting out information - and disinformation about it, and talking about what it all means, and interviewing relevant people. There's even been plenty of that ahead of time, with various creators talking about what tests on the material in the capsule would be done and so on, and why they weren't even going to start trying to open it for a week after it landing, and all of that fun stuff.

I'm not saying NASA is perfect on this or anything, but I don't really see anything of much value they could add. Speculation on the unknown, and completely un-visually interesting feeds don't add much. You can't do an effective marketing campaign on the timescale science happens at. People don't have that much of an attention span.

ETA: From NASA's blog on OSIRIS-REx:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Barry, Johnson Space Center
Over the coming weeks, the curation team will move the TAGSAM head into a different specialized glovebox where they will undertake the intricate process of disassembly to ultimately reveal the bulk sample within.

In other words, we're talking a period of months from touchdown to even getting the majority of the material out of the equipment it's kept in. And that's before you even *start* to do tests on it.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-10-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-11-2023, 03:38 AM   #323
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

FWIW, they have a news conference 11 am today where NASA and OSIRIS-REx specific people will discuss the sample. For whatever reason, media representatives will see live feed of the sample, to the extent any of it can be seen yet, but it doesn't look like they are just going to broadcast that feed.

Maybe I'll be wrong and they will have highly useful/dramatic info, but I doubt it.

FWIW people to be there are:

- NASA Administrator Bill Nelson
- Francis McCubbin, OSIRIS-REx deputy curation lead, NASA Johnson
- Daniel Glavin, OSIRIS-REx sample analysis lead, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt
- Dante Lauretta, OSIRIS-REx principal investigator, University of Arizona, Tucson

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-11-2023 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2023, 11:31 AM   #324
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
If there are security concerns, then time delay it (e.g. if a space worm crawls out unexpectedly).

Unfortunately, no space worm (or ant, beetle, bug, spider) ...

NASA reveals a pristine sample collected from a near-Earth asteroid | CNN
Quote:
“The first analysis shows samples that contain abundant water in the form of hydrated clay minerals, and they contain carbon as both minerals and organic molecules,” Nelson said. “Far exceeding our goal of 60 grams, this is the biggest carbon-rich asteroid sample ever return to Earth. The carbon and water molecules are exactly the kinds of material that we wanted to find. They’re crucial elements in the formation of our own planet. And they’re going to help us determine the origin of elements that could have led to life.”

Okay on the 2 years, just give us monthly or bi-monthly updates ...

Quote:
For the next two years, the mission’s science team will continue characterizing the samples and conduct the analysis needed to meet the mission’s science goals.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-11-2023 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:35 PM   #325
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice. Hope there's enough content to keep my interest.

Space Out: New Series Coming Soon to NASA+ - YouTube
Quote:
Turn on, tune in, and space out to relaxing music and ultra-high-definition visuals of the cosmos, from the surface of Mars to a Uranian sunset.

“Space Out” Episode 1 drops Nov 8 on NASA+: NASA+ - NASA

NASA+ is our new no-cost, no ads streaming service. No subscription required.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:32 AM   #326
Edward64
Head Coach

So after a month and a half, hatch is still stuck.

Osiris-Rex: Nasa's asteroid mission 'gathers smaller sample'
Quote:
"Part of the team has gone off to design new tools to open the TagSam and we'll do that next year."

Nasa's director of planetary science, Dr Lori Glaze, said those tools, which will provide the required extra torque, would need not just to be fabricated but also then tested. It won't be a quick process, therefore.

"The samples are a few billions of years old; they can wait another few weeks," she added.

And they estimate less than hoped for but still decent.

Quote:
What the researchers have been able to do, however, is weigh the TagSam. And, knowing its mass prior to collecting the sample, they can now say the hidden Bennu contents probably comprise 120g, give or take 20g.

So, rather than the 250g total, the mission may now be looking at "only" 170g.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:01 PM   #327
Edward64
Head Coach

Artemis pushed back about a year.

Quote:
The new dates, according to NASA Associate Administrator Jim Free, are:
  • September 2025: Artemis II crew flight around the Moon and back in a free-return trajectory
  • September 2026: Artemis III crewed lunar landing, with two astronauts going down to the surface in SpaceX's Starship lander
  • September 2028: Artemis IV crewed mission, first flight using upgraded version of Space Launch System rocket, lunar landing in Starship

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-09-2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:12 AM   #328
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks. It seemed to me that it was likely they would push it back, but I thought it would be after Artemis II.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:54 AM   #329
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, it is unfortunate. Apparently, 3 concerns. I'm gonna be honest. I don't trust NASA as much anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if the root cause is bureaucracy, analysis-paralysis, lack of accountability etc. And definitely, lack of urgency.

After 2-3 months, no update on OsirisRex Bennu capsule that I could find, and I think the lid is still "stuck". If the US rocket science eggheads & engineers can't open the lid by now, something is wrong and I doubt it's from the lack of ideas.

Also, on concern #1 below highlighted section. They've known of the problem since Dec 2022 and they are still "making good progress on understanding what caused that erosion". Smells like a little BS to me.

Just my .02 cents.

Page not found - SpaceNews.
Quote:
Three specific issues drove the delay in Artemis 2, said Amit Kshatriya, NASA deputy associate administrator for the Moon to Mars Program. One was unexpected erosion of material on the Orion capsule’s heat shield during reentry on Artemis 1 in December 2022, which the agency had previously reported. He said the agency was making good progress on understanding what caused that erosion and expected to find a root cause by the spring, but needed more time to synthesize the data and update models before flying again.

A second issue involves components for the capsule’s life support system. Inspections of hardware delivered for the spacecraft that will fly the Artemis 3 mission found failures in circuitry that drives valves. “When we examined it, we recognized there was a design flaw in that circuit,” he said. “Those valve electronics affect many parts of the life support system on the spacecraft,” including systems that remove carbon dioxide.
Quote:
A third issue is associated with the launch abort system for Orion, which allows it to escape a malfunctioning Space Launch System. In some cases where the abort system is triggered, there would be “deficiencies” in the electrical system on Orion.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:49 PM   #330
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
After 2-3 months, no update on OsirisRex Bennu capsule that I could find, and I think the lid is still "stuck". If the US rocket science eggheads & engineers can't open the lid by now, something is wrong and I doubt it's from the lack of ideas.

Speak of the devil. Halleluiah! Finally figured it out 3+ months.

https://www.livescience.com/space/sp...-seeds-of-life
Quote:
After months of prying and jimmying, NASA scientists have at last opened the canister containing material scraped from the "potentially hazardous" asteroid Bennu, the agency announced on Thursday (Jan. 11).

The sample — roughly 8.8 ounces (250 grams) of rocky space rubble collected by the OSIRIS-REx spacecraft — is thought to contain some of the earliest precursors to life and is the first chunk of a space rock ever grabbed by a NASA mission.

NASA had already collected 2.5 ounces (70 g) of the sample from the canister's lid, but two stuck fasteners stopped scientists from reaching the material inside. After creating new tools to remove the stubborn clasps, NASA engineers finally unsealed the container on Wednesday (Jan. 10).
And the next steps are ...

Quote:
Now that the box has been opened, NASA says it will follow a "few additional disassembly steps" before it can photograph, extract, weigh and process the remaining sample. Small pieces scraped from the lid have already been sent around the world for analysis, and will soon be followed by the contents found inside.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-12-2024 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2024, 10:35 AM   #331
Edward64
Head Coach

Congrats Japan. Hope it goes well.

Japan’s SLIM ‘Moon Sniper’ spacecraft prepares for historic lunar landing | CNN
Quote:
The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency’s Smart Lander for Investigating Moon, or SLIM, is expected to touch down on the lunar surface at 10:20 a.m. ET Friday, or 12:20 a.m. Saturday Japan Standard Time. If successful, SLIM’s landing will mark Japan’s first time putting a robotic explorer on the moon’s surface — and make it the third country to achieve such a feat in the 21st century, and the fifth country to soft-land a spacecraft on the moon since the Soviet Luna 9 mission in 1966.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:44 PM   #332
Edward64
Head Coach

Moon landing today.

Quote:
Timing on this tricky landing attempt has been a moving target: Touchdown is expected at 6:24 p.m. ET, according to the latest update from Intuitive Machines, the Houston-based company that developed the spacecraft.

Watch the stream below

Intuitive Machines-1 Lunar Landing | NASA+
Old 02-22-2024, 06:05 PM   #333
Edward64
Head Coach