Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2023, 04:12 PM   #301
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

pre game concvert? they are doing that now???
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 06:16 PM   #302
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I did not know Lenny Kravitz's drummer is married to Santana.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 08:09 PM   #303
Ksyrup

Nick Chubb injury is so bad they won't show the replay but they showed it in stadium and the crowd collectively gasped. Ugh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-18-2023, 08:14 PM   #304
Jas_lov
College Starter

They have a clip on Twitter. Its awful. His knee gets bent back.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 08:17 PM   #305
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

God bless him. He already had his knee blow up in college.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 08:21 PM   #306
GrantDawg

Oh man. Just saw it. That's gruesome

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2023, 08:22 PM   #307
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That was really gross
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 10:21 PM   #308
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Their defense could still carry them.

It sure is easy to dislike Deshaun Watson. He's getting results, no doubt, but just watching those two personal fouls in the last few minutes. Something is off with him, not just the behavior that got him suspended or what he did to the Texans after getting paid.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 10:36 PM   #309
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It sure is easy to dislike Deshaun Watson. He's getting results, no doubt, but just watching those two personal fouls in the last few minutes. Something is off with him, not just the behavior that got him suspended or what he did to the Texans after getting paid.

Kinda feels like the Gainesville, GA in him coming out.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:49 PM   #310
Swaggs
Coordinator

Kenny Pickett needs to get a lot better, real quick. He looks like he can’t get caught up to speed. Almost have to wonder if he’s had one too many concussions.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:58 AM   #311
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Who makes the playoffs at 0-2 and misses at 2-0?

2-0
Dallas
Philly
Wash
Atlanta
Tampa
SF
Miami
Baltimore
New Orleans

0-2
NE
Cincy
Houston
Denver
LAC
Chicago
Minnesota
Arizona
Carolina
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:11 AM   #312
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have the Bengals and Vikings rallying and Saints/Washington/Atlanta all missing.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 06:17 AM   #313
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Atlanta all missing.
Why you got to be like that?
Old 09-19-2023, 07:11 AM   #314
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm a Falcons fan (not that I ever get to watch them), but they were my first choice for missing the playoffs.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:18 AM   #315
Edward64
Head Coach

Bijan will prove you doubters wrong.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:54 AM   #316
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If Burrow is hobbled the Bengals won't be able to rally.
Old 09-19-2023, 09:32 AM   #317
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Honest question for Bears fans:

It seems pretty likely that y'all will end up with two very high picks next draft--possibly top 5.

Assuming that happens, has it been worth it as a fan? It is the classic tanking question (though I am not accusing the team of losing on purpose). Are years of having to watch a shitty team worth it to get the chance to draft a top QB and another blue chip guy?

Or would you have preferred average football over the last 4 years?

Normally, we think of that in the abstract, but here is a real life example of it. What's your feelings on it?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 11:44 AM   #318
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

It seems pretty likely that y'all will end up with two very high picks next draft--possibly top 5.

Assuming that happens, has it been worth it as a fan? It is the classic tanking question (though I am not accusing the team of losing on purpose). Are years of having to watch a shitty team worth it to get the chance to draft a top QB and another blue chip guy?

Normally, we think of that in the abstract, but here is a real life example of it. What's your feelings on it?

Well, last year was the first year of actual tanking. Before that the Bears were bad and actually trying. One of the issues they previously had in hiring a competent GM was the McCaskyes wouldn't let anyone rebuild. Ballard specifically didn't take the job because of that.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:47 PM   #319
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
The year is 2040, colin Kaepernick reaches out to the Jets about replacing a retiring Jordan Love.

Come on, Sui...FIFY.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 01:21 PM   #320
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Well, last year was the first year of actual tanking. Before that the Bears were bad and actually trying. One of the issues they previously had in hiring a competent GM was the McCaskyes wouldn't let anyone rebuild. Ballard specifically didn't take the job because of that.

Agree with this point. The Bears only tried to tank last season. The other years, they were just bad.

This year is going to be interesting. I don't know why some thought this was a playoff team with the holes in the roster. However, I did think we were a 6-7 win team. Right now, we look like a 2 win team.

Will they lean into it and ensure this is a <4 win team? Don't know, too early to tell. Will the fan base be ok with that? No, not in the way it's happening now. If the team starts to show some growth, not just from Fields but from all of the young players, they will reluctantly come around.

For me, I would like to see growth of the young players and improvement that shows that Fields is far and away the problem. There are so many issues on offense, putting another QB into that spot will most likely result in the same destruction of a QB that we're seeing now.

Last edited by rjolley : 09-19-2023 at 01:23 PM.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:55 PM   #321
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I was fine with it last year to get some bad contracts off the books and secure a high pick. But I don't think they're trying to tank this year and it's more out of incompetence. They haven't added any impact players so this "tank" is probably going on for another year after this.

I'd also add that I don't think tanking is a smart strategy in the NFL. Maybe you can argue to grab some generational talent at QB, but that's so rare and such a crapshoot, that it's not worth it. Take a look at the best teams in the league now. Or the best teams over the past 20 years. How many of those teams became great because of a successful tank job?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:56 PM   #322
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Kenny Pickett needs to get a lot better, real quick. He looks like he can’t get caught up to speed. Almost have to wonder if he’s had one too many concussions.

He's Andy Dalton. Not even a knock on him, he just seems to have flaws and a limited ceiling. With a lot of talent around him, he can be good, but I don't think he's ever going to become one of the elite QBs in the league.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:04 PM   #323
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I dunno if "impressive" is the right word, but it is certainly SOMETHING taht DeShaun Watcon managed to get two facemask penalties as a quarterback.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:06 PM   #324
RainMaker
General Manager

For as bad as the Bears are, at least they don't have that Watson or Wilson contract on the books.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:07 PM   #325
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For as bad as the Bears are, at least they don't have that Watson or Wilson contract on the books.

Don't give the Bears management ideas!
Old 09-19-2023, 07:21 PM   #326
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Who makes the playoffs at 0-2 and misses at 2-0?

I'm pretty sure the Patriots are out.

As we've discussed elsewhere, there are ways to win with above-average offensive skill players and a below-average (but not actively detrimental) QB, and there are ways to win with an above-average QB and below-average offensive skill players, and there are definitely ways to win with a HOF QB and below-average offensive skill players, but there aren't really ways to win with below-average offensive skill players and a below-average QB, no matter how good your defense is.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:24 PM   #327
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm not a Bears fan, but I'll answer anyway. I think the answer is going to be colored somewhat by how much confidence you have in the organization that they'll be able to a) choose an actually good QB and b) build a competitive team around them.

If I'm a Bears fan I'm looking at literally the last 40 years worth of experience and it's not filling me with confidence.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:32 PM   #328
Bobble
College Prospect

I just watched JT O'Sullivan's hour-and-a-half breakdown of Fields and the Bears week 2. He pretty much craps on the whole org. Poor O-line play, poor play from TE and WRs, ridiculous play calling, and skittish, gunshy performance from Justin Fields. Total trainwreck.

There are so many "What are we doing here?" comments from him directed at too many different players and scheme concepts that you really that you come away with no confidence in the Bears staff. Maybe Fields was never going to be a good NFL QB but you have to believe that his chances with this team are practically nil.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 08:38 PM   #329
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I think week 4 will be the week the Jets make a move for a quarterback on a team that looks like they have given up
Old 09-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #330
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I dunno if "impressive" is the right word, but it is certainly SOMETHING taht DeShaun Watcon managed to get two facemask penalties as a quarterback.

Might have cost them the game though as they really killed some big plays.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:13 PM   #331
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I just watched JT O'Sullivan's hour-and-a-half breakdown of Fields and the Bears week 2. He pretty much craps on the whole org. Poor O-line play, poor play from TE and WRs, ridiculous play calling, and skittish, gunshy performance from Justin Fields. Total trainwreck.

There are so many "What are we doing here?" comments from him directed at too many different players and scheme concepts that you really that you come away with no confidence in the Bears staff. Maybe Fields was never going to be a good NFL QB but you have to believe that his chances with this team are practically nil.

I was reading Bill Barnwell and he pointed out that things are so bad right now that it's hard to pinpoint where the problem really is. Getsy's playcalling doesn't fit Fields and is just bad overall. The offensive execution is awful. There's 1-2 players not doing the right thing on nearly every play. Fields is all over the place and playing like he has no confidence in the plays being called or his teammates.

I thought Eberflus did a solid job last year. They had very little talent, but played hard and weren't making a ton of boneheaded mistakes. They just weren't good. This year it's just a disaster. The lack of execution and guys not playing hard is really glaring.

Expectations were 7 wins-ish and improvement. It would take a miracle for this team to get to 7 wins.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:56 PM   #332
rjolley
College Starter

Bobble, that's the same takeaway I've had after looking at a few different sources. And is the reason I have no desire to see another QB drafted early. If this staff is in place, I have no confidence that they'll develop him. They've changed enough with Fields that hasn't worked.

Bagent may play well in this offense because he's more in line with what the coaches want from the position. But I think Fields is the more talented player. This is not an offense or a coaching staff that takes advantages of his strengths while working to develop what he needs to improve.
Old 09-20-2023, 07:40 AM   #333
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
He's Andy Dalton. Not even a knock on him, he just seems to have flaws and a limited ceiling. With a lot of talent around him, he can be good, but I don't think he's ever going to become one of the elite QBs in the league.

I am a couple more weeks of slow motion QBing, passes being thrown behind open receivers, and seeing passes thrown directly to the other team away from hoping that he can be as good as Andy Dalton. Pickett was an older rookie and is already 25 years old. Dalton was putting up his peak seasons from 25-28ish and leading his team to the playoffs.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns into a star, but my biggest fear is that, if he hasn't turned it around by midseason, they end up pouring another couple of years into developing him and then he gets to that Dalton level and they are faced with the prospect of paying him a starting QB rate for his second contract or they are back to square one: neither of which would be pretty. It would suck for peak TJ Watt and Minkah Fitzpatrick years to be wasted like this.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:50 AM   #334
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I just don't see how you can expect to compete in the AFC without solid to great QB play. Put the Steelers in the NFC and they are likely to get to the playoffs, but how do they get into the top seven in the AFC without Pickett being much better?
Old 09-20-2023, 07:54 AM   #335
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

AND got away with pushing/contacting a referee without being ejected, likely only because he's the starting QB during a primetime, heavily televised game. If he was an OL, he's tossed, no question.
Old 09-20-2023, 08:38 AM   #336
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Bobble, that's the same takeaway I've had after looking at a few different sources. And is the reason I have no desire to see another QB drafted early. If this staff is in place, I have no confidence that they'll develop him. They've changed enough with Fields that hasn't worked.

Bagent may play well in this offense because he's more in line with what the coaches want from the position. But I think Fields is the more talented player. This is not an offense or a coaching staff that takes advantages of his strengths while working to develop what he needs to improve.

Yeah, agreed. The Bears look like either a whole team of rogue, uncoachable player personalities that aren't following the scheme or technique -OR- it's a very poorly coached and run team. It's sad because it's ruining player careers through poor development (especially since I'm a Justin Fields fan) so why grab another great prospect just to burn him to the ground. But, I guess poor development has happened in all sports since the dawn of time.

They'd be better off grabbing a veteran QB that already knows what to do during the play and can reject poor play designs. Then they can focus on teaching everyone else how to play the game.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 12:50 PM   #337
Ksyrup

I just saw a snippet of an article where it sounds like Justin Fields threw his coaches under the bus for his poor play.

I'm sure things are fine in Chicago!
Old 09-20-2023, 01:32 PM   #338
rjolley
College Starter

Fields said coaching and his overthinking things are the reasons he's been staying in the pocket and he's going to go back to playing how he feels comfortable. At this point, I'm good with what he said. Let him go down being himself, not whoever that was the first 2 weeks. If it's more of the same, so be it. We know what we need to do.

How about DC Williams is not around and no one can say when he's coming back? Or LT Jones is out a month, possibly the season? Yep, everything is just fine in Chicago. *insert burning Everything is fine meme here*

Last edited by rjolley : 09-20-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 01:48 PM   #339
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

A lot of Chicago players will probably get injured from this "everyone not on the same page" stuff
Old 09-20-2023, 02:03 PM   #340
molson
General Manager

I can't wait to see a less-coached, less-disciplined, less thinking Fields out there.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 02:09 PM   #341
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I can't wait to see a less-coached, less-disciplined, less thinking Fields out there.

Old 09-20-2023, 02:35 PM   #342
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

If it were Hollywood, they'd win the Super Bowl now.

I suspect this ends with the Bears not picking up his fifth year option and drafting yet another first-round mistake next year. When asked if he'll help rookie learn the ropes, the Bears threaten to release him if he tries.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 02:49 PM   #343
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I suspect this ends with the Bears not picking up his fifth year option and drafting yet another first-round mistake next year.

April 2024:

"We're still very high on Justin and know he's going to do great things in Chicago. We had an opportunity to add another player we're also high on to the QB room so it made sense to go in that direction".
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 02:52 PM   #344
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Fields said coaching and his overthinking things are the reasons he's been staying in the pocket and he's going to go back to playing how he feels comfortable.

But if someone else had said, for example, something like "he's an athlete, not a football player" oh GOD would there have been some that lost their shit. His comments do fit in pretty well with the stories about why he never could earn playing time at Georgia

I'm sure "run a post to the Buick and I'll just take off if you're not open" will be just fine.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:44 PM   #345
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
But if someone else had said, for example, something like "he's an athlete, not a football player" oh GOD would there have been some that lost their shit. His comments do fit in pretty well with the stories about why he never could earn playing time at Georgia

I'm sure "run a post to the Buick and I'll just take off if you're not open" will be just fine.

Will he be a sit back and throw the ball around the yard 35-40 times and be successful type of QB? Don't know. It's trending right now that he won't be. Can he be a throw the ball 25-30 times and run it 10-15 times and be successful? Probably. Let's see.

The question is can the latter be successful in leading a team to the playoffs. Yes, they can.

So let's see if Justin actually turns this around over the next couple of weeks. I hope he can. He seems like a good young man and a good leader for the team. If not, we'll throw Bagent out there to see what he's got and use the top-5 picks to bring in the next QB to dest....develop.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:47 PM   #346
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Fields said coaching and his overthinking things are the reasons he's been staying in the pocket and he's going to go back to playing how he feels comfortable. At this point, I'm good with what he said. Let him go down being himself, not whoever that was the first 2 weeks. If it's more of the same, so be it. We know what we need to do.

How about DC Williams is not around and no one can say when he's coming back? Or LT Jones is out a month, possibly the season? Yep, everything is just fine in Chicago. *insert burning Everything is fine meme here*

Williams resigning for his health, apparently.

Edit: Or his house got raided?!

Last edited by bronconick : 09-20-2023 at 03:55 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 04:40 PM   #347
GrantDawg

Quote:
If it were Hollywood, they'd win the Super Bowl now.

I suspect this ends with the Bears not picking up his fifth year option and drafting yet another first-round mistake next year. When asked if he'll help rookie learn the ropes, the Bears threaten to release him if he tries.
He can be the next "Steamin" Wille Beamen.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-20-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:50 PM   #348
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Will he be a sit back and throw the ball around the yard 35-40 times and be successful type of QB? Don't know. It's trending right now that he won't be. Can he be a throw the ball 25-30 times and run it 10-15 times and be successful? Probably. Let's see.

The question is can the latter be successful in leading a team to the playoffs. Yes, they can.

I've never believed he was a legitimate NFL QB in the first place, or certainly no chance of being a successful NFL QB. ("legitimate", hell I'm not even sure what that means at this point, the demand seems to far outweigh the supply)

Naturally then I would not expect this sort of shift to succeed.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:51 PM   #349
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My half-assed impresssion of Fields is that the enitre football world had come to an agreement that he was a shitty QB even before last year and yet 2 long runs early in the seasons somehow upset that narrative for an entire year, even though his quarterback play never got any better.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:53 PM   #350
rjolley
College Starter

Jon, you could be right. The games I remember him from in college, I thought he looked the part of having potential to be good in the NFL, not much better or worse than the other top candidates from the 2-3 years before him. That hasn't translated to the pros. Neither has it for Mac Jones. Tua took awhile to get it going, as did Hurts. Both were rumored to be on thin ice before they broke out.

However, Fields did show potential for a stretch last year. He may not do well in a "conventional" NFL offense, but one tailored to him, like the one they ran in Baltimore, could work.

Are the Bears willing to do that? Will Fields ever make the adjustment long term to be a better passer? Is this all hopeful thinking from a lifelong Bears fan? Time will tell.