Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Toyota Recall

I did not see a thread on this and had a question. I have a Toyota corolla I picked up back 1 1/2 ago when I was coming off a layoff situation and needed a cheap get to the new job car that had good miles and leased a corolla 2008. I am starting to worry with the now new information about possible power steering problems if I can get out of my current lease without any penalties. I would bet there a re plenty of people returning there lease these days.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I don't own a Toyota, but from what I've heard and read, Toyota is bending over backwards to try to keep their customer base. It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to your dealer and see what they can do for you.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I don't own a Toyota, but from what I've heard and read, Toyota is bending over backwards to try to keep their customer base. It certainly wouldn't hurt to talk to your dealer and see what they can do for you.

Yeah, I am going to but ultimately they are going to hold me to the lease agreement or at least that will be their goal and for me my goal is to get rid of the lease and buy a totally different car from a different dealer.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if a recall was enough justification to end a lease early, contract-wise.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
DataKing
Pro Rookie

If they're not willing to help you out, maybe take a look at LeaseTrader.com or something similar.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Leases are matters of state law, so don't forget to look there. A dealer may be able to hold you to a lease in one state, but not another. Generally, however, auto dealers are really good at lobbying state capitals, so the law tends to be in their favor on things like this.

Also, you may want to check out your state Attorney General's web page to see if there is a consumer help division there. Certainly worth giving them a call if such an office exists.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Alternatively you could drive into a tree and blame it on the power steering, in the hopes that they'll let you out of the lease to avoid the bad press. High-risk/high-reward there.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

They'd probably try like hell to get you to trade it in on a new car before allowing you out of it w/o any type of penalty.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
They'd probably try like hell to get you to trade it in on a new car before allowing you out of it w/o any type of penalty.

All good suggestions but I agree this is the most likely scenario. No way I buy another Toyota.