Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2021, 07:13 PM   #5951
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

They just announced a shelter in place for that town. They definitely don't have the suspect in custody.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #5952
RainMaker
General Manager

The Hatewatch article gave Balch's background that he was a white supremacist/neo-Nazi. It did not know their relationship at that time.

Balch testified under oath just a couple weeks ago. Are you saying he perjured himself or just playing dumb?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #5953
GrantDawg

This is the best of info straight from the police chief. No one in custody but they have a person they suspect. The vehicle has been recovered. The shots fired were police not from the vehicle.
https://twitter.com/AdamRifeReports/...MLW4NtKwA&s=09

Old 11-21-2021, 07:20 PM   #5954
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Hatewatch article gave Balch's background that he was a white supremacist/neo-Nazi. It did not know their relationship at that time.

Balch testified under oath just a couple weeks ago. Are you saying he perjured himself or just playing dumb?

Quite possibly. You obviously don't trust white supremacists. Why trust what he is saying? A reasonable motive (but not proven of course) is to get his 15 min of fame to say he was associated with the kid.

If Rittenhouse is truly a white supremacist, there should be a wealth of evidence out there.

But if you want to take a white supremacist at his word, I guess okay. We just have different levels of rigor in reaching conclusions.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #5955
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
They just announced a shelter in place for that town. They definitely don't have the suspect in custody.

Seen the top down video which does sort of show the driver trying to evade the first people I think (or maybe swerving to hit someone specific?). This looks bad but there have been situations like this where they later say it was a driver who panicked. With that said, I would think someone panicking and hitting the gas by mistake would have maybe stopped somewhere and waited for police.

Instead, it seems like the driver got away and was able to park somewhere. Even backed into the spot.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:33 PM   #5956
GrantDawg

Yeah, it almost seems he was trying to run through the parade as an escape route, and only hit people when he couldn't go forward without doing it.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #5957
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Quite possibly. You obviously don't trust white supremacists. Why trust what he is saying? A reasonable motive (but not proven of course) is to get his 15 min of fame to say he was associated with the kid.

If Rittenhouse is truly a white supremacist, there should be a wealth of evidence out there.

But if you want to take a white supremacist at his word, I guess okay. We just have different levels of rigor in reaching conclusions.

Again, it's literally the first photo that comes up in an image search.

Lets be honest, there is no amount of evidence from sworn testimony to photographic evidence that will get you to admit they knew each other. The weird thing is none of these guys are asking you to stan for them. They are not trying to hide who they are and who they affiliate with.

Say what you want about them, but they're transparent about who they are and what they believe. They aren't gutless coward hiding behind the "just asking questions" and concern trolling.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #5958
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Yeah, it almost seems he was trying to run through the parade as an escape route, and only hit people when he couldn't go forward without doing it.

Here is the aerial view of it. It feels like if your goal was to inflict damage, you wouldn't have swerved early on (and slowed down). The street view made it seem intentional but this one makes it seem like someone who made a wrong turn and really panicked.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #5959
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Lets be honest, there is no amount of evidence from sworn testimony to photographic evidence that will get you to admit they knew each other. The weird thing is none of these guys are asking you to stan for them. They are not trying to hide who they are and who they affiliate with.

Say what you want about them, but they're transparent about who they are and what they believe. They aren't gutless coward hiding behind the "just asking questions" and concern trolling.

Zing, oweee. Yup conversation degrading again with personal attacks. Are you a really successful attorney? I wouldn't think so with such sloppy research and quick butt hurt reactions.

I'll go back to my original post as often times it gets lost with tangents, insinuations, reading comprehension, and (of course) personal insults.

TBF there was some additional evidence presented by a white supremacist. But yeah, give me some facebook posts, twitter feeds etc.

Quote:
On the point of white supremacist. Its pretty obvious there are differing levels of rigor needed for some here. Show me more evidence of this other than a bar where he was befriended by Proud Boys and gave an ok sign. Present evidence where he was a white supremacist before that fateful day vs after where he was looking for any and would welcome any support he could get.

If he has a history of rants (e.g. FB, twitter ... I googled but didn't find anything else other than opinions), I'll concede this point. But right now, one incident (added: or a second suspect one) does not make him a white supremacist.

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-21-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:11 PM   #5960
GrantDawg

Press conference said 11 adults 12 kids transported. Multiple deaths but they are not giving a number. They have avperson of interest in custody, but wouldn't confirm the number of people in the vehicle. The shots fired was from one officer trying to stop the vehicle. Probably won't have anything more till tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #5961
RainMaker
General Manager

Saw an early mention it was a school marching band that got hit and my heart sank. What a tragedy.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:43 AM   #5962
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Ugh, what is wrong with people?

If this is some idiot with a manifesto then that manifesto needs to be burned/deleted before it can be read and given publicity.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-22-2021 at 05:46 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #5963
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

If this is some idiot with a manifesto then that manifesto needs to be burned/deleted before it can be read and given publicity.

It is very sad.

Options are: crazy person railing against the system blaming it for his/her own life failures; domestic/int terrorism; really drunk/(un)medicated person; or old person that shouldn't be driving anymore.

Have to believe the cops have gone through the house of person of interest and prob have a good idea of which one by now.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:09 AM   #5964
GrantDawg

Quote:

It doesn't look like it. Early reports are that he was fleeing the scene of another crime. They do not expect a terrorism motive.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:20 AM   #5965
Edward64
Head Coach

It is good to see an armed black man (and armed daughter) walk around Kenosha to protect anti-Rittenhouse protestors. I guess it is possible for minorities to walk around Kenosha openly with weapons.

Good trigger finger discipline (unlike that horrendous St. Louis woman waving a gun with finger on the trigger). Daughter's AR seems to be an extra capacity magazine, and dad has a scope that is better suited for hunting.

Armed father-daughter duo seek to protect anti-Rittenhouse protesters

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-22-2021 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:23 AM   #5966
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
It doesn't look like it. Early reports are that he was fleeing the scene of another crime. They do not expect a terrorism motive.

I don't know what crime he committed but if true then "out of the frying pan into the fire".
Old 11-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #5967
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm not exactly known for ... let's go with "needing a long time to draw reasonable conclusions" ... so when I'm the comparative voice of reason versus the Twitterverse in thinking "hey, could we at least take a few hours to figure out what the hell was going on instead of racing for Likes on your hot take", you KNOW stuff is pretty fucked.

I promise, a take will still be valid even if it's not the very first one offered, they don't have expiration dates.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #5968
GrantDawg

Quote:
I don't know what crime he committed but if true then "out of the frying pan into the fire".

Yeah. I don't know what he had done before, but it wasn't on the scale of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm not exactly known for ... let's go with "needing a long time to draw reasonable conclusions" ... so when I'm the comparative voice of reason versus the Twitterverse in thinking "hey, could we at least take a few hours to figure out what the hell was going on instead of racing for Likes on your hot take", you KNOW stuff is pretty fucked.

I promise, a take will still be valid even if it's not the very first one offered, they don't have expiration dates.

No kidding. People just spouting crap off like it was fact without any information.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:47 AM   #5969
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Zing, oweee. Yup conversation degrading again with personal attacks. Are you a really successful attorney? I wouldn't think so with such sloppy research and quick butt hurt reactions.

I'll go back to my original post as often times it gets lost with tangents, insinuations, reading comprehension, and (of course) personal insults.

TBF there was some additional evidence presented by a white supremacist. But yeah, give me some facebook posts, twitter feeds etc.

He was hanging out at a bar with white supremacists wearing a Free as Fuck tee shirt and flashing white supremacy signs, but I'm sure he is just misunderstood.

If it walks like a duck and all that...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #5970
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
He was hanging out at a bar with white supremacists wearing a Free as Fuck tee shirt and flashing white supremacy signs, but I'm sure he is just misunderstood.

If it walks like a duck and all that...

I'll go back to my original post below. If there is more evidence, let me know.

Otherwise, offer to let this be an agree to disagree as there's been enough personal attacks (and a response in kind) already.

Quote:
On the point of white supremacist. Its pretty obvious there are differing levels of rigor needed for some here. Show me more evidence of this other than a bar where he was befriended by Proud Boys and gave an ok sign. Present evidence where he was a white supremacist before that fateful day vs after where he was looking for any and would welcome any support he could get.

If he has a history of rants (e.g. FB, twitter ... I googled but didn't find anything else other than opinions), I'll concede this point. But right now, one incident (added: or a second suspect one) does not make him a white supremacist.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:14 AM   #5971
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Kyle Rittenhouse says he supports BLM

FWIW
Old 11-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #5972
GrantDawg

That admission might cost him some appearance money.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:43 AM   #5973
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

But that is exactly how social media is designed. The most emotional stuff gets amplified. Reasonable conclusions do not. In a few hours (minutes) the emotional stuff is spread far and wide and there is no putting that back in the can even if it is demonstratively false.

Yes, stuff is pretty fucked. But it is it is working exactly as intended.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #5974
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It's a shame the Rittenhouse documentary will be rendered unwatchable by all the FOX News propaganda that will saturate it. Would otherwise be pretty interesting.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #5975
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I was 100% convinced that the parade killer was either right wing terrorism or left wing terrorism. I was/am legit shocked to see that it is probably a "normal" criminal act.

I don't know if that means that my brain is fucked up, or the world is fucked up, or maybe both. But something is pretty fucked up that I'm almost expecting domestic terrorism now.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-22-2021 at 11:46 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #5976
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I was 100% convinced that the parade killer was either right wing terrorism or left wing terrorism. I was/am legit shocked to see that it is probably a "normal" criminal act.

I don't know if that means that my brain is fucked up, or the world is fucked up, or maybe both. But something is pretty fucked up that I'm almost expecting domestic terrorism now.

You're not the only one who felt this way. It is a product of the world we live in.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #5977
RainMaker
General Manager

I really had no idea what to expect. Everyone seemed on edge in Wisconsin but Waukesha is not exactly close to Kenosha. To put it in perspective, Kenosh is about the same distance to Chicago.

What is not surprising is this person has a history of domestic violence. Rarely do you find a mass murderer these days that doesn't. Feels like those people should be getting much more scrutiny from the legal system.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #5978
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watching the defense closing arguments in the Arbery case. Man, some first class character assassination going on. She just said no one but Arbery made the decision not to stop when they pulled up next to him. Fucking bonkers. Also said he was "plundering" the neighborhood.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #5979
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

One of the attorneys is asking for a mistrial because there are black men outside the courthouse with weapons. Oh my, it sure is an interesting reaction when the tables are turned.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #5980
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Not sure if I would call this a "normal" criminal act. I thought this had to be intentional just by looking at the casualty figures. There's no way you can look at that and think it was just an accident. Heck, I still think there's more to the story than some meatbag was fleeing another crime.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:59 PM   #5981
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
One of the attorneys is asking for a mistrial because there are black men outside the courthouse with weapons. Oh my, it sure is an interesting reaction when the tables are turned.

It was how they got Reagan and the NRA to do a 180 on gun rights back in the 60's.

The NRA Supported Gun Control When the Black Panthers Had the Weapons - HISTORY

Heck, the little space Rittenhouse fell into to avoid a gun charge was carved out for racial reasons as well.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #5982
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Watching the defense closing arguments in the Arbery case. Man, some first class character assassination going on. She just said no one but Arbery made the decision not to stop when they pulled up next to him. Fucking bonkers. Also said he was "plundering" the neighborhood.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but can a lawyer intentionally try and perform so ineptly in order to secure a retrial? Like some of the things that are being done and said seem like they are in order for the defendants to claim incompetent counsel. Commenting on the deceased victim having dirty toe nails? Asking for black pastors to be banned from the courtroom? Seems like an act to get the case retried or thrown out on appeal.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #5983
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but can a lawyer intentionally try and perform so ineptly in order to secure a retrial? Like some of the things that are being done and said seem like they are in order for the defendants to claim incompetent counsel. Commenting on the deceased victim having dirty toe nails? Asking for black pastors to be banned from the courtroom? Seems like an act to get the case retried or thrown out on appeal.

Also not a lawyer, but I'm 99.9999% sure the answer is no. Once a defendant is found not guilty, they can not be tried again for any reason because of double jeopardy. The best they can hope for with a strategy like that is to have the case declared a mistrial before the trial is over. But once it goes to the jury and they say "not guilty", that's the end. There are no do overs.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #5984
miked
College Starter

No, I'm suggesting they will be found guilty and the defense lawyers are setting up for a grounds for a retrial.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:14 PM   #5985
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

It's a pretty tough case to defend since it's on video and they have very incriminating statements by the defendants.

Not sure I want to necessarily go after the defense attorneys. Maybe they are scumbags deep down, but their job is to do whatever legally possible to get an acquittal for their client. Maybe they feel the evidence is so overwhelming that the best hope is to rile up a racist juror enough that they'll be a holdout on a conviction.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #5986
GrantDawg

Quote:
Not sure if I would call this a "normal" criminal act. I thought this had to be intentional just by looking at the casualty figures. There's no way you can look at that and think it was just an accident. Heck, I still think there's more to the story than some meatbag was fleeing another crime.
Normal as in not terrorism. Not normal as in "happens every day." If he were trying to inflict as many casualties as he could, he could have easily killed 2-4 times as many people. He was dodging people till he got to a point where the road was completely covered. I am not saying the guy doesn't have a rage issue, that is very obvious with his background. Just he wasn't making some kind of political statement as far as I can tell.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #5987
GrantDawg

Fascist gonna Fascist:
Old 11-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #5988
RainMaker
General Manager

Can we maybe take domestic violence more seriously? This is absolutely ridiculous. And as I mentioned, so many of these spree killers end up with lengthy domestic violence records.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:28 PM   #5989
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
No, I'm suggesting they will be found guilty and the defense lawyers are setting up for a grounds for a retrial.

Ah, thought you were talking about the prosecutors in the other case. It's getting hard to keep track of them all.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #5990
molson
General Manager

Quote:

There's a lot of appellate caselaw about what lawyers are allowed to talk about at closing argument and what they're not. I think people would be surprised at the kind of stuff that is alleged to be prosecutorial misconduct on appeal. Basically any indirect reference to anything that isn't about the elements of the crime - the character of any of the witnesses, protecting the community, sending a message, any punishment the defendant might face, the lives of the victims, calling the victims "victims", the nature of the injuries (when that's not an element of the crime, like in a murder case), asking the jurors to deliver "justice", appealing to jurors' sense of duty and morality. A lot of one-off "errors" like that are deemed harmless by he appellate courts and the convictions stands, but there's some arbitrary level where they can up to a vacated conviction.

With the defense though, there's no check on it. It's certainly unethical. If the prosecutor objected, the judge should strike the comments and tell the jury not to consider it, but, they heard it anyway, and most attorneys don't like to object at closing argument because they think it makes them look too aggressive, and also only calls attention to the thing they want to object to. At some (again arbitrary) level something can be so bad that you ask for a mistrial, but, the standard for granting those is high, you don't want to clear the jury from the courtroom to make that argument and risk them holding that against you if you lose the motion, and, you don't want to start the whole trial proceeding over and push things down the road another year.

On the state side you always wonder about "poison pills" being left around the trial by defense counsel just in case of a conviction, but, it's really hard to win an ineffective assistance of trial counsel claim. You have to show prejudice, and a defendant really can't show that he would have been acquitted and not convicted if only his attorney didn't slander the victim during closing argument. IAC claims are good at tying up cases for years in state appeals and federal habeas, but they almost always lose in the end unless there's some specific objective measurable standard that's violated - like counsel didn't file a notice of appeal when the client asked them to, counsel gave objectively wrong information to the client about a possible sentence which led to them taking a plea deal or rejecting a plea deal, etc.

That stuff was pretty infuriating though. I think I read the people in the courtroom gasped at one of the comments. An objection by the prosecutor on top of that might of accentuated how inappropriate that was, and got that on the record, if just for historical context. I definitely believe attorneys should object more at closing argument. It just feels so rude to do in the moment. But on appeal, it's nice to have those court rulings on what was OK and what wasn't, and when its defense objecting at closing argument and preserving an alleged error, you can get more appellate rulings to give attorneys and trial judges guidance in the future, even if it doesn't result in a vacated conviction in that case.

Last edited by molson : 11-23-2021 at 12:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #5991
miked
College Starter

Cool answer, it just seemed so absurd (like saying he was likely committing crimes and would be alive if he just waited for police arrive, therefore hiding something because he would not wait). Plus the comments about his hygiene...I guess I believe the above, that they are hoping to play in to some race stereotypes in the hopes that one juror hangs or something.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #5992
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Self defense I guess.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #5993
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Pregnant Librarians need to be banned.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-24-2021 at 12:12 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:37 PM   #5994
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Verdict reached
Old 11-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #5995
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Basically all of them guilty on all charges.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:48 PM   #5996
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This was a much easier case. Thank God they didn't screw it up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #5997
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This was a much easier case. Thank God they didn't screw it up.

Huge +1 and these fuckers can rot
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:20 PM   #5998
RainMaker
General Manager

Reminder that the original DA covered up the murder. The only reason we found out about it was one of these morons thought putting out the video made him look good. A backfire for the ages.

Watching some of the trial, you could see how easy this was for a competent prosecutor.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #5999
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Reminder that the original DA covered up the murder. The only reason we found out about it was one of these morons thought putting out the video made him look good. A backfire for the ages.

Watching some of the trial, you could see how easy this was for a competent prosecutor.

The first two DA's tried to cover it up. Only the first one was charged. But the second one, Barnhill, committed several ethical breaches by not disclosing several conflicts of interest he had in the case, while he was writing opinion memos as to why he thought it was justifiable homicide.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #6000
GrantDawg

This case is definitely an indictment of the prosecutor's in that county. It was the Cobb County DA (suburb of Atlanta) that act as prosecutor to get the conviction. The level of racist colored glasses you have to have to look at the video and say that was justified is pretty bad.