Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #1201
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I can't believe how good FSU is playing right now. What a difference. OL is #1 in the ACC on yards per play, rushing yards per play, and fewest sacks allowed. FSU leads all FBS in 20+ yard plays - somewhere around 75 at this point. Our OL sucked even at the end of Jimbo's tenure. Every yard Cam Akers got in college he earned on his own.

This offseason is going to be a crucial one. Keeping Alex Atkins is at the top of the list.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-12-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:01 PM   #1202
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Tale of Two quarters:Coastal 17-0 after 1, tied 17-17 at the half

Well it was close the rest of the way, but a big sack and fumble as SM was driving for the tie or win and Coastal wins 26-23! It was a surprise QB to start, and he did have some big throws, but only 7 completions and 2 INTs. Cant imagine he'll get the start against Virginia next week,
Old 11-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #1203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There ain't a fan base suffering through a losing season happier than Auburn right now.

Remarkable to see.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-12-2022 at 10:20 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:13 PM   #1204
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Well, the Ducks are out of playoff contention.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:29 PM   #1205
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Boom. Great win for my huskies!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:44 AM   #1206
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA playing about as miserable as you can play and going to end it's shot at anything meaningful
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 01:51 AM   #1207
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Next week's USC/UCLA and Oregon/Utah next week could very well be play-in games for the Pac 12 championship. I did some playing around with the tie-breaker, which is quite convoluted since many of the top teams do not play each other this season.

This is only if there are no more upsets - the combinations of tied teams change everything and UCLA as it stands now would fare very poorly in ties specifically because they lost to Arizona of all teams, since Arizona is the only team that has played all tied teams, and not lost to them all.

The winner of Oregon/Utah is in and USC is in by defeating UCLA. If USC loses, then the loser of Oregon/Utah is in. Assumptions include Colorado and Cal playing as they have this season, Oregon beating Oregon State and Washington beating Washington State.

As for what this means for the playoff? USC is a one-loss team with a one-point road loss to Utah. Everyone else is already at two losses. Tennessee is a lucky loser and the SEC champion is in, so if LSU beats Georgia, everyone outside the SEC complains bitterly because they might get three if there's only one undefeated team.

I think we have to assume the SEC has only two to make enough room for USC at 12-1 (this would also include a win over Notre Dame at that point). Then you deal with possible undefeated TCU (still a long way to go) and the Michigan/Ohio State winner. 12-1 USC is ahead of the ACC champion. A two-loss Pac-12 champ would need a lot of help to get in, probably too much to consider it likely.

We have four undefeated teams, four one-loss majors and eight two-loss majors entering next weekend.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #1208
bob
College Starter

If what I’m reading about Jeff Sims is true, GT should pretty much ban him from the facilities as of the end of yesterdays game.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #1209
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
If what I’m reading about Jeff Sims is true, GT should pretty much ban him from the facilities as of the end of yesterdays game.

What are you reading?
Old 11-13-2022, 10:22 AM   #1210
bob
College Starter

Supposedly he refused to go into the game after the starter was injured. GT instead had to play the backup that ran out of bounds on the last play without throwing a pass a few weeks ago.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:06 AM   #1211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Supposedly he refused to go into the game after the starter was injured. GT instead had to play the backup that ran out of bounds on the last play without throwing a pass a few weeks ago.

Yeah, probably seen the last of him on that field I'd think.

Pyron is a freshman with the same YPC (which is pretty much all Sims brings to the table anyway), the same completion percentage, better yards per completion and a better QBR.

Sims is a (faux) sophomore with 3 seasons to have made people wish he were under center instead of Pyron ... he's not done that afaic.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #1212
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Since I'm apparently the last surviving TCU fan left (RIP HornedFrog Purple), Go Hypnotoad!!!
Old 11-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #1213
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina makes it back to the polls at #23. Not sure how long that will last with a backup QB against Virginia next week, but nice to see them back. That one loss to Old Dominion looks especially bad as ODU has lost every game since Coastal, a lot of them badly.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #1214
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
A two-loss Pac-12 champ would need a lot of help to get in, probably too much to consider it likely.

I think they'd take four SEC teams before they did that.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #1215
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is not quite in the drivers seat to win the West. Illinois plays Michigan this saturday, while Iowa gets Minny. All are 4-3. Ill holds the advantage over Iowa.

No way I thought we would be in place to demolished by OSU twice in one season, about a month ago.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #1216
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU fires AD Shane Lyons. He did a good job with facilities, but with all but a few sports taking a step back and fan interest plummeting this was needed.

It will be interesting to see if this means Neal Brown is fired or they give him another year so the new AD can settle in and do his homework preparing for a replacement.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #1217
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa is not quite in the drivers seat to win the West. Illinois plays Michigan this saturday, while Iowa gets Minny. All are 4-3. Ill holds the advantage over Iowa.

No way I thought we would be in place to demolished by OSU twice in one season, about a month ago.

A conference championship appearance should be good for another 5-10 year extension, right?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:22 PM   #1218
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not so fast. We are going to smoke those asswhites.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 04:33 PM   #1219
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
WVU fires AD Shane Lyons. He did a good job with facilities, but with all but a few sports taking a step back and fan interest plummeting this was needed.

It will be interesting to see if this means Neal Brown is fired or they give him another year so the new AD can settle in and do his homework preparing for a replacement.

I hope they have a gameplan, because I don't see a real clear and apparent one.

I feel like Brown was close to a perfect hire on paper (young, Appalachian background, successful head coach with three 10+ win seasons in his last three seasons at Troy, no personal baggage, etc.), so I'm hesitant to penalize Lyons for hiring him, but he gets some blame for the extension (which, I understand he did because South Carolina may have been interested).

I'm not sure who we get that is necessarily an upgrade at HC. If it is $16M-$20M to buy him out, I'd rather them dump an extra $5M into upgrading his staff next year and keeping him, because even the more exciting names being mentioned as replacements (Freeze, maybe Jimbo) are not all that certain to be better. Apparently Fickell was the runner up when Brown was hired, but was lukewarm because there isn't a Catholic high school in Morgantown any more - so he's almost certainly not going to be interested this time around with Cincy now moving to the Big 12.

I'm not sure I trust Gee to make a good hire for AD, either. Hopefully, Huggins has some pull in the decision-making process. This seems like foreign territory for us.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:10 PM   #1220
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I hope they have a gameplan, because I don't see a real clear and apparent one.

I feel like Brown was close to a perfect hire on paper (young, Appalachian background, successful head coach with three 10+ win seasons in his last three seasons at Troy, no personal baggage, etc.), so I'm hesitant to penalize Lyons for hiring him, but he gets some blame for the extension (which, I understand he did because South Carolina may have been interested).

I'm not sure who we get that is necessarily an upgrade at HC. If it is $16M-$20M to buy him out, I'd rather them dump an extra $5M into upgrading his staff next year and keeping him, because even the more exciting names being mentioned as replacements (Freeze, maybe Jimbo) are not all that certain to be better. Apparently Fickell was the runner up when Brown was hired, but was lukewarm because there isn't a Catholic high school in Morgantown any more - so he's almost certainly not going to be interested this time around with Cincy now moving to the Big 12.

I'm not sure I trust Gee to make a good hire for AD, either. Hopefully, Huggins has some pull in the decision-making process. This seems like foreign territory for us.

A lot of people liked the Brown hire, but I wasn't one of them. An air raid guy that's calling plays but can only put up average or worse offenses every year was a huge red flag for me. I'm also not impressed by fluking your way into beating a couple of P5 schools. The overall teams he was putting on the field just weren't consistently efficient when you looked at the metrics.

I do think Freeze would be a huge upgrade over Brown and I'm not a huge Freeze guy. There are some other interesting options out there as well although most come with risk.

We're likely back to Brown calling plays again next year, if he's back, because he and Harrell do not have a very good relationship and Brown hasn't shown the ability to identify good assistants or move on from bad ones (Matt Moore is somehow still the Oline coach). He's recruited incredibly well, but that's been all for nothing since his staff just hasn't developed the talent they've brought in. The number of guys that have been drafted under Brown is embarrassingly few.

From the people I've chatted with they feel there's a plan on a new AD in place or they wouldn't have moved on from Lyon and that new AD will likely have a head coach in mind on his first day on the job.

I was worried the win over the worst OU team in recent memory would save Lyons and Brown but it sounds like they're moving forward on needed change.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:17 PM   #1221
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
A lot of people liked the Brown hire, but I wasn't one of them. An air raid guy that's calling plays but can only put up average or worse offenses every year was a huge red flag for me. I'm also not impressed by fluking your way into beating a couple of P5 schools. The overall teams he was putting on the field just weren't consistently efficient when you looked at the metrics.

I do think Freeze would be a huge upgrade over Brown and I'm not a huge Freeze guy. There are some other interesting options out there as well although most come with risk.

We're likely back to Brown calling plays again next year, if he's back, because he and Harrell do not have a very good relationship and Brown hasn't shown the ability to identify good assistants or move on from bad ones (Matt Moore is somehow still the Oline coach). He's recruited incredibly well, but that's been all for nothing since his staff just hasn't developed the talent they've brought in. The number of guys that have been drafted under Brown is embarrassingly few.

From the people I've chatted with they feel there's a plan on a new AD in place or they wouldn't have moved on from Lyon and that new AD will likely have a head coach in mind on his first day on the job.

I was worried the win over the worst OU team in recent memory would save Lyons and Brown but it sounds like they're moving forward on needed change.

I hope you are right about the plan. I don’t want Ollie back and have heard there is (mutually) not interest in him returning in that role. It doesn’t have to be a WVU guy, but I wonder if the timing might be right to poach Rob Mullens back from Oregon. With Knight being well into his late 80’s and the PAC 12 looking unsettled, I could see him feeling good about his legacy and being ready to move on.

You hearing any mention of Rod? I don’t want him, but that would be WWE-style entertainment.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:10 PM   #1222
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I hope you are right about the plan. I don’t want Ollie back and have heard there is (mutually) not interest in him returning in that role. It doesn’t have to be a WVU guy, but I wonder if the timing might be right to poach Rob Mullens back from Oregon. With Knight being well into his late 80’s and the PAC 12 looking unsettled, I could see him feeling good about his legacy and being ready to move on.

You hearing any mention of Rod? I don’t want him, but that would be WWE-style entertainment.

Unlikely on Ollie, but I'm not sure which side it's from. Whit wants the job and is is in the top 3 but his biggest hurdle, from what I've heard, is settling the Rich situation because of his ties there. He either has to sell it or make assurances that won't be the hire. Zinn is highly unlikely because she was the one that pushed Lyons so hard to extend Brown and doesn't have a very good relationship with the donor base. Mullens is in the top 3, but that's about all I've heard there. Alex Hammond was mentioned as a darkhorse, but a lot would have to happen for him to have a shot. They seem very confident they're getting one of the top 3 targets.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #1223
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Unlikely on Ollie, but I'm not sure which side it's from. Whit wants the job and is is in the top 3 but his biggest hurdle, from what I've heard, is settling the Rich situation because of his ties there. He either has to sell it or make assurances that won't be the hire. Zinn is highly unlikely because she was the one that pushed Lyons so hard to extend Brown and doesn't have a very good relationship with the donor base. Mullens is in the top 3, but that's about all I've heard there. Alex Hammond was mentioned as a darkhorse, but a lot would have to happen for him to have a shot. They seem very confident they're getting one of the top 3 targets.

Man... I don't love that list after Mullens. Hopefully, he gets first shot. I've heard the same about Zinn and that she is pretty polarizing (maybe gender related?). I know there were a decent amount of folks that were not unhappy that she left and thought that some things would improve without her oversight. I'd like to see Babcock be successful, but his track record on hiring football coaches is not a plus with Tuberville at Cincy and Fuente (who seemed like a pretty Neal Brown-type of hire) and Pry not looking so good at VPI. Not sure about Hammond, but hiring a guy that has been in our department for that long, without already having moved up or on to somewhere else, would absolutely seem like a fallback choice and wouldn't really justify the dramatic mid-season firing, in my opinion. What would you say the order is between Mullens and Babcock (assuming we could get either to leave)?
Old 11-15-2022, 11:17 AM   #1224
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Man... I don't love that list after Mullens. Hopefully, he gets first shot. I've heard the same about Zinn and that she is pretty polarizing (maybe gender related?). I know there were a decent amount of folks that were not unhappy that she left and thought that some things would improve without her oversight. I'd like to see Babcock be successful, but his track record on hiring football coaches is not a plus with Tuberville at Cincy and Fuente (who seemed like a pretty Neal Brown-type of hire) and Pry not looking so good at VPI. Not sure about Hammond, but hiring a guy that has been in our department for that long, without already having moved up or on to somewhere else, would absolutely seem like a fallback choice and wouldn't really justify the dramatic mid-season firing, in my opinion. What would you say the order is between Mullens and Babcock (assuming we could get either to leave)?

I haven't seen or heard anything about who may be the favorite or any order of preference. They've played this whole thing pretty tight. Apparently the buyout talks with Lyons started Friday and even the most connected people didn't hear about it until Saturday night, which usually something like that gets leaked ahead of time. The only thing they've been able to confirm is some of the names there's been contact with.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:31 PM   #1225
tarcone
Coordinator

Minny/Iowa is going to ne another low scoring affair in cold conditions. 2 Really good defenses in this one, but I give the edge to Iowa on STs.

Winning the West would cool off the seat a bit. KF should be so thankful PP is so loyal.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #1226
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Jeff Sims to be apart from Tech indefinitely for medical treatment

Would be "that it would be best for Jeff to not be in meetings or not be in practice but be in treatment and rehab now moving forward.”

Uh huh.

Tell me both sides are happy enough to part ways without saying it.
Old 11-15-2022, 09:07 PM   #1227
Ksyrup

That's the dude who was committed to FSU back in 2019, isn't it? I guess we dodged a bullet even though we've sucked the last couple of years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-16-2022, 09:08 AM   #1228
Thomkal
Head Coach

As I suspected would happen, Virginia cancels their game with Coastal Carolina this weekend I hope they can reschedule in the future.

Coastal Carolina game against UVA canceled following deadly shooting | WPDE
Old 11-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #1229
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Looks like WAZZU's Pat Chun is the favorite right now. I didn't list him because other than the ties to Gee I didn't think he had much of a chance. IMO it would be an outstanding hire. His fundraising and coach hiring have been outstanding and he doesn't accept underperforming from his coaches.

Sounds like Whit is out of consideration as well.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:25 AM   #1230
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's the dude who was committed to FSU back in 2019, isn't it? I guess we dodged a bullet even though we've sucked the last couple of years.

Yes, that’s the one.

Rumors are also that Gibbs held himself out of the second half of the Alabama - Ole Miss game this past weekend, which reminds me of him not playing the second half of GT - UGa last year.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:26 AM   #1231
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Looks like WAZZU's Pat Chun is the favorite right now. I didn't list him because other than the ties to Gee I didn't think he had much of a chance. IMO it would be an outstanding hire. His fundraising and coach hiring have been outstanding and he doesn't accept underperforming from his coaches.

Sounds like Whit is out of consideration as well.

Seems like he is experienced (been an AD for 10-years between WSU and FAU), young (47 or 48), and a good history as a fundraiser at Ohio State. Plus, it looks like he went to school at Ohio State and Duquesne, so he's probably at least familiar with the area. Looks like he would be a solid choice.

I'm not sure how the good old boys and boosters are going to feel about going with a 'Gee guy' rather than one of their own, or at least their hand-picked person.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:27 AM   #1232
Swaggs
Coordinator

Also, tell me that the Gibby rumors are just rumors. Please.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #1233
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Also, tell me that the Gibby rumors are just rumors. Please.

Might be, possible they just road the hot hand given he only had 3 yards on 6 carries in the first half. Doubt it matters though, because you don’t need him for the next two games and I’ll be shocked if he plays the bowl game.

Last edited by bob : 11-16-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:33 PM   #1234
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Might be, possible they just road the hot hand given he only had 3 yards on 6 carries in the first half. Doubt it matters though, because you don’t need him for the next two games and I’ll be shocked if he plays the bowl game.

Officially was an ankle sprain (he was freshly taped up while standing around on the sidelines)
Old 11-19-2022, 07:55 AM   #1235
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs are 5-5 so have to either beat Ole Miss today or Missouri next week for bowl eligibility.

I would have said we can beat any Top-10 to 25 team earlier this season. Unfortunately, our QB1 has been injured and it's not clear if he's recovered well. If he's not, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up 5-7.

But I'm thinking 6-6 with a loss to Ole Miss and a win against Missouri.

The one thing good about this underperforming season is the odds of Junior QB1 coming back next year has increased.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:24 PM   #1236
Ksyrup

Does the muffed punt rule no longer apply in college? UF just muffed a punt at about the 7 and Vandy recovered in the end zone for a TD. I could swear in college and NFL that ball is brought back to the spot of the muff.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:43 PM   #1237
GrantDawg

Alabama winning 17-0 at half on Austin Peay. Bama fans are up in arms as Young has been sacked 3 times already. They are blaming the line, but this is the problem I have been pointing out about Young for awhile. He has a blind-spot to the edge rush that makes him easy to sack. To me, Young still has NFL bust written all over him. Someone is going to burn a high first rounder on him, and loose big.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #1238
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Does the muffed punt rule no longer apply in college? UF just muffed a punt at about the 7 and Vandy recovered in the end zone for a TD. I could swear in college and NFL that ball is brought back to the spot of the muff.

I'm thinking the ball can be recovered in the end zone for a TD but it can't be advanced past the point of recovery.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #1239
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Alabama winning 17-0 at half on Austin Peay. Bama fans are up in arms as Young has been sacked 3 times already. They are blaming the line, but this is the problem I have been pointing out about Young for awhile. He has a blind-spot to the edge rush that makes him easy to sack. To me, Young still has NFL bust written all over him. Someone is going to burn a high first rounder on him, and loose big.

Is Gibbs injured / out?
Old 11-19-2022, 12:51 PM   #1240
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa trying to retain the Bronze pig today and take control of the West. Michigan is letting Illinois hang around and lost their RB to a knee.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #1241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is Gibbs injured / out?

He did not participate in warmups and has not played.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:54 PM   #1242
tarcone
Coordinator

Well. Michigan RB walking around the sideline. He got hit on the knee and seems to have recovered.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:57 PM   #1243
HerRealName
College Prospect

Michigan having tunnel issues again at halftime.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #1244
bob
College Starter

I have admittedly only watched this one game, but TCU does not look like a playoff team to me.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #1245
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Michigan isn't looking good today. Maybe playing their way out of the playoff even if they somehow beat Ohio State. Every team has a game like this, but when you put all your stock into ball-control/defense and you end up getting mashed at the line on both sides, committee members aren't going to feel good about it.

Tunnel issue? Um, for the hundreds of stadiums that have only one, every team waits a minute or two at the beginning of a half. Sounds more like a modern journalist with an agenda.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 01:41 PM   #1246
GrantDawg

Baylor takes a lead. Plenty of time left, but Baylor definitely has the momentum right now.

Old 11-19-2022, 01:55 PM   #1247
Ksyrup

TCU and Michigan gonna let Alabama back in.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #1248
GrantDawg

TCU misses the two point conversion to tie the game. Only two minutes left.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #1249
GrantDawg

Ksyrup, I still doubt there would be three SEC teams in the playoffs, and Tennessee is in over Alabama.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:02 PM   #1250
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ksyrup, I still doubt there would be three SEC teams in the playoffs, and Tennessee is in over Alabama.

I believe it'd take a whole lotta chaos for it to happen.