Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #51
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
3) Warrior

The Tom Hardy/Joel Edgerton MMA film. Man, both guys have a reason for winning, and you know someone has to lose. And it's just how they give their all and the chills and emotion, just blew me away.
Idk if it fits under tearjerker, but for emotional heft it was always the beach scene for me

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #52
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know the show tailed off at the end, but when Dexter says good bye to Harrison it killed me, likely because I am the father of a 4 year old boy myself.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #53
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
The opening life montage in Up.

That is a good one and it's definitely an emotional scene. Had to feel for the guy after that, even if he was grumpy, old man.

1. It's a strange one, but there's one Animaniacs cartoon that involved the cat playing with and chasing a piece of ribbon. The entire cartoon is silent except for the musical score which deliberately plays on your heart strings.

2. Several parts from MASH

3. Schlinder's List - When Oscar breaks down about the others he could have saved.

4. End of Saving Private Ryan

5. If you have kids, the montage growing up on Andy in Toy Story III.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #54
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

It is amazing how emotional movies can be once you have a child. I teach Sociology through film and I now cry, mostly in anticipation, of these films I show my students:

In American (I think the best movie of the last decade)
Life is Beautiful (the looks he gives his son to shield him from the truth is a killer)
Dead Poets (the YAWP scene, and now the Apple speech is what gets me)

For MASH, nearly every Christ-MASH episode. Especially Charles getting the sled cap and Hawkeye singing I'll be Home for Christmas
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #55
wishbone
High School JV

"My Life" when the dad shaves Michael Keaton's face.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #56
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post

In America (I think the best movie of the last decade)

YES. Jesus Christ, that whole fucking movie is a tear-fest.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #57
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just reading the first few posts, I still don't understand the emotional connection to Field of Dreams or MASH. As much as I loved MASH (after the cast changes), I thought the goodbye scene was meh at best, esp. given how overwrought/mawkish other scenes were. I guess I missed the nuance of it? Does it still connect after initial viewing from long ago or are you remembering the initial impact when you were young?

As far as Field of Dreams, I guess I could not relate to not catching with my father, as I grew up doing that and had done that with my son since he was very young. Are people connecting to it because of personal experiences?

For my initial picks, off the top of my head:
Lion King opening, gets me every time when I view it on youtube
Benjamin Button last baby scene
61* hotel scene
Little Drummer Boy
opening montage of Up, as mentioned frequently
last scene in Captain Phillips
last death scene in Saving Private Ryan
Forrest's grave scene
and over 20 different scenes from Wonder Years
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #58
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My favorite youtube channel is watchmojo and here is their top 10 saddest movies scenes Top 10 Saddest Movie Deaths - YouTube
Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
As far as Field of Dreams, I guess I could not relate to not catching with my father, as I grew up doing that and had done that with my son since he was very young. Are people connecting to it because of personal experiences?

I can't speak for others, but for me, it is about my relationship with my father. Like you, I played catch with my dad a lot. So that moment in the movie is emotional for me because I get why it would be so important for Kevin Costner's character to want to play catch with his dad. Plus, it was the first time in that whole conversation that either man acknowledged their relationship.

I would presume that we all connect with that because we mostly all had fathers we played catch with and of course had relationships with our fathers that are deeply emotional.

Why you don't feel that same connection, I think, is something that goes to who you are, I presume. I wouldn't say it's a good or a bad thing, just different people, different shakes. For whatever reason, you don't feel the same connection to that scene that a lot of the rest of us do.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #60
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Definitely personal experience. I can't even explain why really. I grew up loving basketball 100 times more than baseball, and my dad and sister and I would play basketball a lot in the backyard and that was great, but I don't feel a lot of emotion about it and don't really have anything that brings back a nostalgia for it. But it was a huge part of my childhood.

However, the first time I smell freshly cut grass in the spring I am immediately filled with memories of baseball and of playing catch in the front yard with dad and I get fairly emotional about it (those types of connections are ones I've held on to after having to watch my dad decline as slowly as he did for as long as he did). I quit playing baseball before middle school, I have no idea why *this* is the trigger, but it is, and for some reason seeing that scene in Field of Dreams hits the same way.

I should say, the movie did the same for me in the 90s, back when my dad was still healthy. Its weird to think about logically speaking, but its definitely there.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #61
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I should say, the movie did the same for me in the 90s, back when my dad was still healthy. Its weird to think about logically speaking, but its definitely there.

Yeah, I would toss that out, too. As I noted earlier with Big Fish, my dad passed away some years ago. But when I first saw that, my dad was healthy and had many years left. In fact, while I don't recall seeing it the first time, I presume I saw it with my dad and brothers. That would have been 1988-1989, I think, so I was 16-17.

I do remember that in the years later, we would often break this one out and watch it sometime during spring training, but that was more about our mutual love of baseball and getting in the spirit of the season.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-03-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #62
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I thought about this some more after reading Chief's and Radii's good responses. I guess it comes down to me thinking playing catch (not 'having a catch', which is a weird phrase) is no big deal. I grew up thinking everyone had done that and if not, that's no big deal either. I suppose I never elevated that action to a right-of-passage or being a memorable thing to do; thus, while I understood that Costner missed doing that with his dad, I would think there would have been better things for them to have done together that would make up for it.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #63
fortheglory
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
When George is listening to a message left by his father in Blow used to get me, too.

"There are no more white horses, or pretty ladies at my door"
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #64
fortheglory
Mascot

" Jesus's scourging and walk on the via dolorosa in Passion of the Christ

Last edited by fortheglory : 12-03-2014 at 03:48 PM.
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #65
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:

I grew up without a father, so that scene, and movie in general had no impact on me. I understand why this movie means a lot to so many guys, but it was very 'meh' to me.

It would be interesting now that my kids are grown and out of the house if it would have more of an impact on me. Probably not, I'm kind of a heartless bastard.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #66
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Benjamin Button last baby scene

Ah yes. Good one. THe wife bawled her eyes out at that one. Also, the ending of The Notebook was another one where one gets a little verglemped.

Going to add the scene in Braveheart where Shamus' (sp?) father dies and the little scene they had.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:09 AM   #67
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I think Futurama has made me cry more than every other TV show put together.

I just watched the last episode of Futurama, which had me tearjerkin like there's no tomorrow. I'd been holding off for awhile on watching it. But it is a worthy finally?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #68
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

When Marshal's dad died in HIMYM.

Forgot about that episode until seeing it recently. Reminds me too much of when my dad died. We found out that my wife was pregnant with our first child that day and he died of a heart attack before I could tell him.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #69
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
When Marshal's dad died in HIMYM.

Forgot about that episode until seeing it recently. Reminds me too much of when my dad died. We found out that my wife was pregnant with our first child that day and he died of a heart attack before I could tell him.

Uggh. That's awful
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote