Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-19-2014, 02:20 AM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Son will have to go without

Bought my 8 year old son a huge lot of McFarlane football action figures. He'd been asking for them all year. Plunked a nice sum for a lot of 60 players, and was just informed USPS delivered it Monday.

But it's not here. I hope whomever most likely stole it at least has a son who would want it. My kid isn't getting it this year.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, and my USPS guy wouldn't leave a $25 book on my porch the other day.

Wish your driver was that courteous and I really feel for you and your son.

Last edited by stevew : 12-19-2014 at 07:08 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:24 AM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

That really sucks. We've had a lot of packages stolen in Chicago. People just drive around and steal them.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thats terrible.

Maybe contact the company?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dola- Where I lived in Seattle this was a problem for a lot of people.

IIRC they actually caught someone who was doing this. They went on Craigslist and found the stuff that was stolen and caught the guy doing it. Just an idea.

Eaither way, I really feel terrible for you. As a Dad I want to toe the line on Xmas between not spoiling while not disapointing my kids, sorry someone else made that move for you.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Made my heart hurt, for real
Old 12-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

UPS and FedEx seem to have given up giving a crap about what they do with packages, too. There was kindof an expectation for years with me that USPS is just going to deliver to the mailbox or front door and that's the service they offer. But UPS and FedEx seems to have gotten a case of "don't give a crap"-itis over the last 5 or so years and went away from the hang tags that you have to bring somewhere. Now they'll just leave stuff out in the open, too, unless, of course, you're willing to pay them another $3 to add the package to their service and then another $5 to hold it at one of their retail outlets, basically doubling the cost of most packages. Frankly, I feel most safe with USPS these days

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Actually, UPS and Fedex both give you the option to have the package held at their office for you to pick up, at no additional cost. UPS will hold it at your local distribution center, and Fedex gives you a choice of retail locations where you can pick it up. Yes its a bit of a hassle, but its worth it not to have your package stolen.

To the OP, why are you giving up so easily? What kind of example is that setting for your son? Anything valuable sent via the USPS should be sent with insurance and signature required. If it were me, I would be contacting everyone from the credit card company, to the company you bought it from, to the post office, to see if anything can be done. It may have been left at your house, but it was NOT delivered to you.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
timmae
College Starter

Yeah, we have had issues with packages at our house... And we have a fence. Usually the delivery company or credit card company will take care of this.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've been so lucky to not have had this problem in either suburban Chicago or Maine, neither of which (of course) I'd expect a problem in, but still.

When we lived in downtown Chicago I just had everything delivered to work. I mean, even if you put broken stuff out for the trash it would be gone in 5 minutes.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

I had FedEx leave my new 49" TV right on the front step of the house without even ringing the doorbell or knocking. Luckily my wife noticed it outside, but I was pissed.

Sorry Senator, that sort of thing is enough to feel like your Christmas is ruined. I'd have a hard time getting over it. I hope you can find a way to refocus and still enjoy the holiday.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ugh. Sorry Senator. That's really awful.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

That sucks. Sorry, Senator.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #14
henry296
College Starter

I'm sorry Senator. Have you asked your neighbors if they received a package by accident? We've had some packages delivered to our house that were for our next door neighbor or even the adjacent street with the same house number.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

This is just the worse kind of theft and is really on the rise it seems. Just total heartless BS. I can't even put the words I want to for the MF that did this, so sorry for you and your son.

Definitely see if there is anything you can do, starting with the Credit Card company and proceeding through UPS, ask neighbors if you have any that may have been around, check Craigslist and E-Bay, you never know,

Hoping there is a positive resolution to this.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

There's been way too much of this in DFW this year. The cops recently broke up a ring of teenagers who were stealing packages in my part of the Metroplex:

Timber Creek quarterback, two other teens accused in package thefts | The Star Telegram

...but as soon as one ring is busted up, you see stuff like this on the news:

Surveillance cameras catch Cowboys fan stealing packages - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

It's a damn shame that people think they have the right to take whatever they want, without any regard for the impact on the people they're stealing from. We've got several packages coming in the next few days, and my wife is really stressing about them now...

Sorry this happened to you and your kiddo, Sen.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 12-19-2014 at 10:48 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #17
JPhillips
General Manager

It won't fix Christmas, but you should definitely contact the seller, and if paid for by credit card, file a dispute.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #18
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I'll get my money back, I insured it, and in the big picture thing it's nothing to really become bitter about, but I feel pretty violated. It was an over the top gift, but he's been a champ dealing with the scary daddy health issues, no kid should have to endure. We live in a nice neighborhood and my hope it was someone desperate and not some high school kid or plain thief. We asked our neighbors but they didn't see anything. Guess I'll install a camera and go ahead and future hold the stuff of real value at the depots.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #19
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Sorry to hear it. A real bummer. I'm always paranoid about this sort of thing and after reading this thread, that paranoia isn't going away.

People suck.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #20
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That really sucks. We've had a lot of packages stolen in Chicago. People just drive around and steal them.

It's become a real problem all over the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I had FedEx leave my new 49" TV right on the front step of the house without even ringing the doorbell or knocking. Luckily my wife noticed it outside, but I was pissed.

I've noticed this too. Has the delivery protocol become so lazy to not ring/knock the door?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #21
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone who does this during the holiday season is a scumbag.

I'd contact the local police and at least give them a heads up. Sometimes they'll setup stings in the area to catch people. Although from what I've seen the police don't care much about property theft.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #22
kingfc22
Head Coach

This type of shit pisses me off. Just like this scumbag in my neighborhood.

https://www.facebook.com/dien.nguyen...77?pnref=story
Old 12-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #23
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I've noticed this too. Has the delivery protocol become so lazy to not ring/knock the door?

This pisses me off no end. It would literally take seconds to knock or ring. I too have had valuable packages sit on my step while I've been in the house waiting for them. I don't know what other industry we'd put up with that kind of service for something we are paying for.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #24
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I'll get my money back, I insured it, and in the big picture thing it's nothing to really become bitter about, but I feel pretty violated. It was an over the top gift, but he's been a champ dealing with the scary daddy health issues, no kid should have to endure. We live in a nice neighborhood and my hope it was someone desperate and not some high school kid or plain thief. We asked our neighbors but they didn't see anything. Guess I'll install a camera and go ahead and future hold the stuff of real value at the depots.

I live in a very nice neighborhood and our neighbor had a similar incident last week. Inspired me to install a motion activated video camera out front as well. Sorry to hear about this happening to you.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #25
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I know I had a package go missing that I ordered from Amazon and after I reported it, they replaced it. USPS showed they had delivered it, but none of my neighbors had seen it and we have a lock box for the neighborhood where they usually put packages and leave the key in your mailbox.