Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1969 Season Thread (Postseason is complete!)

And so...who will be the miracles of the '69 season in FOOL? We will soon find out.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-03-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Salary cap will now be calculated using the Active Roster payroll (Payroll by Roster) listed on the Front Office --> Advanced Info tab, so it cuts out the minor league salaries from the calculation starting now. Means that no one is over the cap.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-31-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SPRING TRAINING STANDINGS
----------
CL
New York 17-7
Rio Grande 15-9
Valdosta 14-10
Atlanta 12-12
Brooklyn 10-14
Long Beach Island 10-14
Texas 9-15
Baltimore 9-15

RL

Seattle 16-8
Boston 15-9
Compton 14-10
Colorado 14-10
Ann Arbor 12-12
Hartford 11-13
El Paso 11-13
Chicago 3-21
Old 08-01-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
Tellistto
College Prospect

Just means we'll tank this year. Unless my pitching improves I don't expect a dern thing out of my team.

One thing I wonder about going forward. Will players really last past the age of 30? I could sign Fernandez for the next 5 or 6 years, till he'd be 34 or 35, but do I REALLY trust him to keep his ratings and stats at his current level? Guess I'll decide after the season whether my kids this season are up to the task of replacing a legend in New York.

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I remember my depth chart and lineups being different for Spring Training. Not a huge deal but it makes me wonder, are there certain reasons the AI will kick in and override these and re-do them? If so, I want to avoid those.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
I remember my depth chart and lineups being different for Spring Training. Not a huge deal but it makes me wonder, are there certain reasons the AI will kick in and override these and re-do them? If so, I want to avoid those.

It shouldn't unless you have the AI set to control your lineup or rotation setting in your manager options.

I played alot of my young guys this spring training and sat down alot of my veterans, and it looked like it took mine without any changes.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Just means we'll tank this year. Unless my pitching improves I don't expect a dern thing out of my team.

One thing I wonder about going forward. Will players really last past the age of 30? I could sign Fernandez for the next 5 or 6 years, till he'd be 34 or 35, but do I REALLY trust him to keep his ratings and stats at his current level? Guess I'll decide after the season whether my kids this season are up to the task of replacing a legend in New York.

Tell

I had a question on this DC. If I recall you said you adjusted the development levels a little while ago to the ones that SkyDog proposed. In his developments they take longer to develop and then age slower right? So we should be able to soon have players that are playing well in their 30s as I am also leary of paying anyone huge cash that is over 29.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe I just messed up yesterday with something. My pitching is exactly how I remember setting it, with three guys up from AAA in the first three starting spots. I just remember having young guys at 1B and C, but I probably messed it up. I am not crying foul anyways, it really doesn't matter as I saw enough to decide on guys.

What is getting me right now is I can't decide who to keep as a reserve player in the OF. The great defensive player with great baserunning skills, but few bat skills, or the young offensive prospect who tore it up in ST? I am leaning towards defense....
Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

As for player ages, I hope they last into their 30's. I have Tanaka signed up until he is 33. 1B Reilly is 31 right now, Aguilera is about to hit 30. For pitching I have Medina and Pegan signed up until they are 31. If all these guys tank soon Rio Grande is dead in the water.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
I had a question on this DC. If I recall you said you adjusted the development levels a little while ago to the ones that SkyDog proposed. In his developments they take longer to develop and then age slower right? So we should be able to soon have players that are playing well in their 30s as I am also leary of paying anyone huge cash that is over 29.

I believe DC is using the Ronco development modifiers. Normal out of the box modifiers tend to have players peak somewhere around age 23-25 which is a bit early. Ronco's modifiers has players peak on average between ages 26-29 I believe. The development up to age 26 is slower than out of the box, but it seems to me that the tail off from the peak isn't really slower but is actually a bit quicker. The trick is that the tail off starts several years (2-4 years) later so it seems slower is all.

Remember there are going to always be exceptions (young players that peak earlier, or players that last into their 40s), but for the most part players should be able to last until their mid-30s somewhere in most cases.. just most peaks will be in their late 20s just like in real life baseball.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
but for the most part players should be able to last until their mid-30s somewhere in most cases..

Have we actually found many of these players yet? Keith Bond was the closest I came, and by the time he hit 30 he wasn't an ML-level talent anymore.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Have we actually found many of these players yet? Keith Bond was the closest I came, and by the time he hit 30 he wasn't an ML-level talent anymore.

It is kind of hard to tell so far as we've had too much talent probably put in that was really good early. (like major league ready at age 18-22). Plus alot of the current older players actually developed prior to ootp9 or prior to the current modifiers.. so now that we seem to be settling down, this should be more the case in the future moreso than the past few years.

I do know that I had a few age 30ish players that performed fine. My ace pitcher finally hit the wall at around age 33-34, and my closer is still doing ok at I think age 32 (I don't have the game available here right now). I think my gut feel is that the older players that were around prior to fool going to ootp9 seem to be aging out a few years earlier though... and I fully expect this artificial talent that was added instead of the draft for a few years to have odd aging patterns as well though.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post

No, Ronco is the one who had proposed the development modifiers that would make players age twice as fast and develop half as fast. Needless to say, that was kicking our league's ass. So I decided to slow them down by half to the defaults of the game and it seems that it's working as more of our players are lasting longer.

I don't think we'll really be able to see it working better until the next generation of players, though. Now that things are finally stable, we're in a better place, I think.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 AM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
It is kind of hard to tell so far as we've had too much talent probably put in that was really good early. (like major league ready at age 18-22). Plus alot of the current older players actually developed prior to ootp9 or prior to the current modifiers.. so now that we seem to be settling down, this should be more the case in the future moreso than the past few years.

I do know that I had a few age 30ish players that performed fine. My ace pitcher finally hit the wall at around age 33-34, and my closer is still doing ok at I think age 32 (I don't have the game available here right now). I think my gut feel is that the older players that were around prior to fool going to ootp9 seem to be aging out a few years earlier though... and I fully expect this artificial talent that was added instead of the draft for a few years to have odd aging patterns as well though.

Plus, we converted from the older version to 9 and there were some things in the background that changed that affect player development significantly.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
No, Ronco is the one who had proposed the development modifiers that would make players age twice as fast and develop half as fast. Needless to say, that was kicking our league's ass. So I decided to slow them down by half to the defaults of the game and it seems that it's working as more of our players are lasting longer.

I don't think we'll really be able to see it working better until the next generation of players, though. Now that things are finally stable, we're in a better place, I think.

DC, What are our aging modifiers set to just so we know? Would be useful to know when to expect players to peak and when it is time to give up on prospects for instance.

I had thought you previously said you were using Ronco's modifiers, but if they are a little different can you post what they are?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
DC, What are our aging modifiers set to just so we know? Would be useful to know when to expect players to peak and when it is time to give up on prospects for instance.

I had thought you previously said you were using Ronco's modifiers, but if they are a little different can you post what they are?

Thanks!

1.000 (AGING) and .500 (development) the latter is the same as Ronco, I just cut Ronco's aging modifier (2.000) in half to the game's default. The game's default development modifier is 1.000, too, but I like how guys develop (or don't) right now.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-01-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Looking at the players in the league, it seems the first wave of league stars are getting to be 35+ like Mike Wallace from the old St. Louis club (now in Atlanta), Bryan Hughes of Valdosta (nee Gary)

The best rated players over 30 are Gabriel Prado (33) (Valdosta..grr), Tom Williams (32) (Compton) Orlando Diaz (31) (LBI) Tyler Reilly (Rio Grande) (31)

Baltimore's Ben Harris is 30. It'll be interesting to see how far he drops off this year. But really, the next 5-10 years will represent a new era in FOOL, as we'll have guys retired who made the league what it was and start figuring out who our first "legends" are.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-01-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Long Beach Island is moving to Toronto, Canada and will be known as the Toronto Atlantics. The team will be owned by DizzyDizzyDinosaur and he'll be taking over this season.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-01-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Canadians? There goes the neighborhood.

Welcome DDD
Old 08-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

An hour before we kick off another crazy year of FOOL action. Any predictions?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #22
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I predict that my team is going to get older and older and after a strong run the first half of the season (just like last year), I will tail off and end up second or third again (just like last year again)
Old 08-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't even want to anticipate what will happen in Compton. I mean, I've just ceased to have any real expectations. After I was stupid and didn't bother to resign Prado on the false assumption that his ratings would fade and then tried to resign him, but got sideswiped at the last minute by Valdosta, my plans were thrown into a frenzy in what was otherwise a pretty masterful offseason getting Tom Williams from Baltimore and a real doorshutter in Aaron Dailey out of Atlanta.

Fact of the matter is, though, once this win window is shut, we're gonna suffer for a long, long time. So...really, I need to get a title out of this year or next or I can pretty much forget it.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Are we definitely running the sim tonight? Because I had family dinner plans come up unexpected, and I am not done with my lineups. I can finish tonight, but I have to go to dinner, and can't be back before deadline.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Are we definitely running the sim tonight? Because I had family dinner plans come up unexpected, and I am not done with my lineups. I can finish tonight, but I have to go to dinner, and can't be back before deadline.

Sure, we'll just wait for you. You're probably going to win anyway.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Sure, we'll just wait for you. You're probably going to win anyway.

Heh...don't be so sure. Too many good GMs here making moves this offseason while I couldn't do anything.

Thanks.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I think we've got a shot at taking the conference pennant, if I don't have mass tankings in the roster. We're pretty solid top-to-bottom, although our bullpen is a touch weaker than last season. I really like my starting rotation, and if Patrick Perkins doesn't show his age we've got a pretty good lineup.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I say it's Boston v. Valdosta in the Classic this year. Boston has come close the past few years and their youth movement should be ready to soar this year. I'd watch out for Rio Grande again in the CL, Brooklyn is a possibility too.

In the RL, I'd say that the usual suspects. Colorado, Ann Arbor and maybe even Compton given our strong finish last year might have a shot at the pennant.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #29
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

If we can get a great three way race in the CL between Rio Grande, Valdosta, and New York, then I wouldn't even care if I came out on the short end of that stick. I think it could be a great battle this year and I hope I am right.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #30
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Hall of Champions is very cool to look at DC. I didn't want to post in there just because I didn't want to ruin the perdy-ness of it.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #31
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hall of Champions is very cool to look at DC. I didn't want to post in there just because I didn't want to ruin the perdy-ness of it.

Same!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Back!

I am wrapping things up right now. Thanks, everyone!

Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Doubt anyone's around, but I am exportée.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Awesome. I'll get it done eventually, too. I won't do the teams that have moved to other locales, because well...I just can't dredge up their logos, but I will do the existing teams that I've missed.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And away we go. 1969 is here!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

STANDINGS AS OF MAY 1, 1969
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Valdosta Peanuts 23 7 .767 - Brooklyn Brownstones 19 11 .633 4.0 New York Highlanders 20 12 .625 4.0 Atlanta Firecrackers 16 15 .516 7.5 Toronto Atlantics 14 17 .452 9.5 Rio Grande Roadrunners 13 17 .433 10.0 Baltimore Terrapins 10 22 .313 14.0 Texas Copperheads 8 22 .267 15.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Hartford Harpooners 22 9 .710 - Boston Settlers 18 12 .600 3.5 Compton Brothers 19 13 .594 3.5 Ann Arbor Wolverines 17 13 .567 4.5 El Paso Alligators 17 15 .531 5.5 Colorado Rancheros 15 15 .500 6.5 Seattle Armada 11 20 .355 11.0 Chicago Comets 4 26 .133 17.5

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

STANDINGS AS OF JUNE 1, 1969
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Valdosta Peanuts 43 16 .729 - New York Highlanders 38 22 .633 5.5 Brooklyn Brownstones 33 26 .559 10.0 Toronto Atlantics 29 31 .483 14.5 Rio Grande Roadrunners 25 33 .431 17.5 Texas Copperheads 24 35 .407 19.0 Baltimore Terrapins 23 37 .383 20.5 Atlanta Firecrackers 22 37 .373 21.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Hartford Harpooners 37 23 .617 - Boston Settlers 34 25 .576 2.5 Compton Brothers 34 26 .567 3.0 Ann Arbor Wolverines 32 26 .552 4.0 El Paso Alligators 33 27 .550 4.0 Colorado Rancheros 27 32 .458 9.5 Seattle Armada 27 32 .458 9.5 Chicago Comets 13 46 .220 23.5

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

STANDINGS AS OF JULY 1, 1969
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Valdosta Peanuts 56 31 .644 - New York Highlanders 55 33 .625 1.5 Brooklyn Brownstones 52 34 .605 3.5 Toronto Atlantics 45 43 .511 11.5 Rio Grande Roadrunners 41 45 .477 14.5 Baltimore Terrapins 34 53 .391 22.0 Atlanta Firecrackers 33 54 .379 23.0 Texas Copperheads 32 55 .368 24.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Hartford Harpooners 54 34 .614 - El Paso Alligators 51 37 .580 3.0 Compton Brothers 49 38 .563 4.5 Boston Settlers 47 40 .540 6.5 Ann Arbor Wolverines 45 41 .523 8.0 Colorado Rancheros 45 41 .523 8.0 Seattle Armada 40 47 .460 13.5 Chicago Comets 17 70 .195 36.5

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #39
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

MID-SEASON STANDOUTS

Gabriel Prado of Valdosta is 8-4 with a 1.83 ERA so far this year.

Jose Torres, Pablo Gonzalez of Colorado and Bob Halpin of Compton all lead the FOOL with 12 wins.

John MacDonald of Boston leads the league with 136 strikeouts.

Aaron Dailey of Compton leads the league with 28 saves

Mauro Suarez of El Paso has a .388 batting average so far this year

Henry McKinney of Compton has a league leading 18 home runs

Sancho Lopez of New York has 68 RBI so far this year, tops in the FOOL.

Rich Lang, a VL import has 41 steals for Brooklyn, to lead the league.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

STANDINGS AS OF AUGUST 1, 1969
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Brooklyn Brownstones 70 42 .625 - Valdosta Peanuts 69 45 .605 2.0 New York Highlanders 67 46 .593 3.5 Rio Grande Roadrunners 55 57 .491 15.0 Toronto Atlantics 53 60 .469 17.5 Atlanta Firecrackers 48 64 .429 22.0 Baltimore Terrapins 45 68 .398 25.5 Texas Copperheads 44 69 .389 26.5 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Ann Arbor Wolverines 67 46 .593 - Hartford Harpooners 67 46 .593 - Compton Brothers 64 49 .566 3.0 Boston Settlers 63 50 .558 4.0 El Paso Alligators 62 51 .549 5.0 Colorado Rancheros 56 56 .500 10.5 Seattle Armada 49 64 .434 18.0 Chicago Comets 23 89 .205 43.5

I can't remember a time when we had an August where this many teams were in the hunt this late in the year.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

David Barajas (ATL) threw the first no-hitter for the Firecrackers since they moved to Atlanta on July 30th, the first no-hitter in FOOL since 1967. He struck out 8 and walked 2. It was the 8th no-hitter in FOOL History.

Nelson Valdes (COL) threw the first no-hitter in Colorado history against the Seattle Armada on August 3rd.

1962 was the only other time in FOOL history when there were 2 or more no-hitters in the same season. Since that season (when there were 3) there have only been 5 and 2 of those happened this year.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The year of the no-hitter continues. Pete McKeane threw the first no-hitter in Compton history striking out six and walking zilch in a Compton win over Colorado on August 9th.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:58 AM   #43
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

STANDINGS AS OF AUGUST 11, 1969
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Brooklyn Brownstones 76 45 .628 - Valdosta Peanuts 74 48 .607 2.5 New York Highlanders 73 49 .598 3.5 Rio Grande Roadrunners 58 64 .475 18.5 Toronto Atlantics 56 66 .459 20.5 Atlanta Firecrackers 55 66 .455 21.0 Baltimore Terrapins 50 71 .413 26.0 Texas Copperheads 44 77 .364 32.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Compton Brothers 72 49 .595 - Ann Arbor Wolverines 71 51 .582 1.5 Hartford Harpooners 71 51 .582 1.5 Boston Settlers 68 54 .557 4.5 El Paso Alligators 65 57 .533 7.5 Colorado Rancheros 59 62 .488 13.0 Seattle Armada 53 68 .438 19.0 Chicago Comets 27 94 .223 45.0
Old 08-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

STANDINGS AS OF AUGUST 18, 1969
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Brooklyn Brownstones 81 46 .638 - New York Highlanders 77 51 .602 4.5 Valdosta Peanuts 76 52 .594 5.5 Rio Grande Roadrunners 60 68 .469 21.5 Toronto Atlantics 59 69 .461 22.5 Atlanta Firecrackers 58 69 .457 23.0 Baltimore Terrapins 54 73 .425 27.0 Texas Copperheads 45 82 .354 36.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Compton Brothers 76 51 .598 - Ann Arbor Wolverines 73 55 .570 3.5 Boston Settlers 73 55 .570 3.5 Hartford Harpooners 73 55 .570 3.5 El Paso Alligators 70 58 .547 6.5 Colorado Rancheros 62 65 .488 14.0 Seattle Armada 55 72 .433 21.0 Chicago Comets 28 99 .220 48.0
Old 08-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sancho Lopez of New York has had 2 20+ game hitting streaks this year. He had a 23 game hit streak to start the season that ended on April 29th. He had a 21 game hitting streak that ended on August 16th. Needless to say, n oone else has ever done this in the same season before.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 AM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Since I kinda don't want to run through the rest of the season yet, I'm going to pour through the All-Star Game picks instead, that way...we'll know who made the teams in both leagues. And yes, we'll actually play the game this year, since people care about that.

Stats of August 18, 1969.

CONTINENTAL LEAGUE ALL-STAR TEAM
Code:
C Hideaki Tanaka, Rio Grande (.307/21 HR/75 RBI) (9th selection) C Billy Jenkins, New York (.308/19 HR/57 RBI) (1st selection) 1B Russ Jones, New York (.298/14 HR/50 RBI) (2nd selection) 1B Tyler Reilly, Rio Grande (.249/14 HR/67 RBI) (8th selection) 2B Sancho Lopez, New York (.286/24 HR/91 RBI) (1st selection) 2B Nathan Adams, Brooklyn (.257/16 HR/88 RBI) (3rd selection) 2B Ben Harris, Baltimore (.267/16 HR/50 RBI) (5th selection) 3B Ed Manning, Atlanta (.294/18 HR/63 RBI) (4th selection) 3B Jerry Matthews, Texas (.287/16 HR/80 RBI) (4th selection) SS Chris Allen, Texas (.302/12 HR/62 RBI) (2nd selection) SS Yoshi Abe, Valdosta (.312/6 HR/57 RBI) (1st selection) LF Larry Richmond, Toronto (.276/19 HR/81 RBI) (2nd selection) CF Rich Lang, Brooklyn (.387/8 HR/66 RBI) (1st selection) RF Gustavo Sanchez, Toronto (.345/10 HR/51 RBI) (2nd selection) OF Tony Hernandez, New York (.319/13 HR/52 RBI) (7th selection) OF Luke Parker, Rio Grande (.305/12 HR/65 RBI) (1st selection) SP Gabriel Prado, Valdosta (12-7, 2.00 ERA, 142 K) (6th selection) SP Jose Torres, New York (15-4, 2.75 ERA, 148 K) (1st selection) SP Carlos Gonzales, Valdosta (14-5, 2.55 ERA, 202 K) (3rd selection) SP Sadaharu Kobayashi, Brooklyn (14-4, 2.95 ERA, 156 K) (1st selection) SP Pete Santana, Rio Grande (10-8, 2.75 ERA, 174 K) (1st selection) MR Anthony Zijm, New York (12-1, 2 SV, 2.60 ERA in 65.2 IP) (2nd selection) MR Zane Ball, Brooklyn (5-3, 7 SV, 1.77 ERA in 45.2 IP) (1st selection) CL Marvin Lott, New York (4-5, 34 SV, 1.96 ERA) (4th selection) CL Walt Withecombe, Brooklyn (7-4, 38 SV, 2.34 ERA) (3rd selection) CL Stan Miller, Atlanta (2-3, 27 SV, 1.79 ERA) (1st selection: Stan Miller was a 4th round pick in the 1969 draft!)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #47
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

REPUBLIC LEAGUE ALL-STAR TEAM
Stats of August 18, 1969.
Code:
C Alfredo Alvarado, Colorado (.315/12 HR/64 RBI) (2nd selection) C Ralph Nicholson, Seattle (.297/13 HR/51 RBI) (6th selection) 1B Mel Brooks, Compton (.313/23 HR/75 RBI) (1st selection) 1B Riley Hollis, El Paso (.339/18 HR/77 RBI) (4th selection) 1B Jesse Ray, Chicago (.305/20 HR/64 RBI) (1st selection) 2B John Bruce, Boston (.287/18 HR/80 RBI) (2nd selection) 2B Christian Larsen, Colorado (.268/15 HR/73 RBI) (7th selection) 3B Teruo Miyahara, Colorado (.288/21 HR/76 RBI) (2nd selection) 3B Patrick Perkins, Boston (.244/18 HR/51 RBI) (5th selection) SS Adam Stanley, Ann Arbor (.284/20 HR/80 RBI) (3rd selection) SS Ogai Yamazaki, Compton (.297/20 HR/64 RBI) (Converted to shortstop during spring training. He's got 31 errors, so surely he wasn't picked because of his defense) (1st selection) LF Mac Rasmussen, Hartford (.359/18 HR/97 RBI) (2nd selection) CF Roy Richardson, Seattle (.317/6 HR/49 RBI) (5th selection) RF Norm Hunter, Ann Arbor (.323/24 HR/72 RBI) (2nd selection) OF Henry McKinney, Compton (.277/28 HR/79 RBI) (2nd selection) OF Dale Pickin, El Paso (.253/24 HR/82 RBI) (1st selection) SP Pablo Gonzalez, Colorado (16-8, 2.99 ERA, 165 K) (3rd selection) SP Bob Halpin, Compton (16-9, 3.38 ERA, 162 K) (2nd selection) SP Joe Morris, Compton (15-7, 3.15 ERA, 150 K) (6th selection) SP John MacDonald, Boston (12-4, 2.96 ERA, 177 K) (1st selection) SP Whit O'Neal, Hartford (12-7, 2.91 ERA, 180 K) (1st selection) MR Hisashi Hoshino, Hartford (4-2, 2 SV, 1.80 ERA in 45 IP) (1st selection) MR Ray Howe, Compton, (6-2, 3 SV, 2.39 ERA, 62 K in 52.2 IP) CL John Jackson, Seattle (3-5, 30 SV, 2.91 ERA) (1st selection) CL Aaron Dailey, Compton (3-5, 42 SV, 1.92 ERA) (2nd selection) CL Edward Cummings, El Paso (4-3, 33 SV, 3.99 ERA) (1st selection)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

STANDINGS AS OF AUGUST 25, 1969
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Brooklyn Brownstones 84 50 .627 - New York Highlanders 81 53 .604 3.0 Valdosta Peanuts 81 53 .604 3.0 Rio Grande Roadrunners 63 71 .470 21.0 Toronto Atlantics 61 73 .455 23.0 Atlanta Firecrackers 59 75 .440 25.0 Baltimore Terrapins 57 77 .425 27.0 Texas Copperheads 50 84 .373 34.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Compton Brothers 81 53 .604 - Boston Settlers 77 57 .575 4.0 Hartford Harpooners 77 57 .575 4.0 Ann Arbor Wolverines 76 58 .567 5.0 El Paso Alligators 71 63 .530 10.0 Colorado Rancheros 66 68 .493 15.0 Seattle Armada 57 77 .425 24.0 Chicago Comets 31 103 .231 50.0
Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 AM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

NEWS, NOTES & FOOLERY (1969)
  1. Almost six of the eight teams in the RL have a winning record. Shows how competitive that league has been this year.
  2. In the 9 seasons of FOOL, no second place team has ever had a better record than the first place team in the other league. Not that it means much, but a tidbit of history nonetheless.
  3. Patrick Perkins (Boston) is just 29 homers away as of August 25th of 300 home runs. Fernando Spindola (New York) is 35 away and Dave Myers is 38 away. They are the only players in FOOL history to notch more than 250 home runs for a career. They'll be punching their tickets for St. Louis someday. (Home of the FOOL Hall of Fame)
  4. Speaking of resurgent players who seem to better in new surroundings, Nathan Adams (Brooklyn) seems to have recaptured his stroke after securing his release from Compton. After two years there and the belief that he was "washed up" the team released him, to clear his salary from the cap. He went back to Brooklyn and has recaptured his former glory, hitting .267 with 18 HRs and 97 RBI this year. His number don't favor a huge home advantage, so it's not just the home cooking, maybe it's the clothes that really do make the man?
  5. Compton really likes playing at home. I mean, a lot. The Republic League leaders has a .692 winning percentage (45-20) at Robinson-Watts Park. The team decided to alter the field to benefit the bevy of left-handed hitters the ballclub has. Seems that the shift has worked to their advantage.
  6. Ann Arbor rescued former All-Star Dave Myers from purgatory in Chicago and he's blossomed into the star he once was. The 29-year old outfielder is hitting .272 with 17 HRs and 66 RBI this year, his highest batting average since the '65 season when he was still in Charleston.
  7. Baltimore's Ron Wilson has the distinction of being the pitcher with the highest VORP in the CL. He's hitting .265 this year in 49 ABs this year. He's 6-12 with a 4.60 ERA in his first year in crab cake country and is the lowest win total of his career.
  8. New York leads the league in attendance with nearly 4 million fans, which will be their fourth straight season of 4 million plus fans. No other team has ever done it even once.
  9. The Florida Marlins (62-38) beat the Los Angeles Dodgers (61-39) 4-3 to win The Big Game championship and were crowned Vulture League champions for 1969. The VL won't be yielding a bumper crop of prospects like we've seen in past years. The most notable player who is a possible FA this year is 27-year old Taiwanese reliever Xinpeng Tien who went 13-3, 3 SV, 2.32 ERA and 168 K in 49 appearances for the LA Dodgers this past season.
  10. Hartford's home grown bumper crop of hurlers are the reason the team is still in the hunt for their first ever pennant. Staff ace Benny Myers is 11-6 with a 3.58 ERA this year, but guys like Whit O'Neal (12-8, 3.06 ERA), Norberto Costa (10-10, 3.39 ERA) and rookie reliever Hisashi Hoshino (4-2, 1.76 ERA) are buoying a team that are being run without a rudder this year and have surpassed all expectations.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 AM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SEPTEMBER 1, 1969
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Brooklyn Brownstones 89 51 .636 - Valdosta Peanuts 85 55 .607 4.0 New York Highlanders 83 57 .593 6.0 Rio Grande Roadrunners 64 76 .457 25.0 Atlanta Firecrackers 63 77 .450 26.0 Toronto Atlantics 63 77 .450 26.0 Baltimore Terrapins 59 81 .421 30.0 Texas Copperheads 54 86 .386 35.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Compton Brothers 87 53 .621 - Hartford Harpooners 82 58 .586 5.0 Ann Arbor Wolverines 80 60 .571 7.0 Boston Settlers 80 60 .571 7.0 El Paso Alligators 73 67 .521 14.0 Colorado Rancheros 69 71 .493 18.0 Seattle Armada 57 83 .407 30.0 Chicago Comets 32 108 .229 55.0