Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2008, 04:43 AM   #51
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

DOWN THE STRETCH
(September 1-15)

(record against team)
Brooklyn
Sept 1: @ Rio Grande (16-5)
Sept 3-5: @ Texas (11-4)
Sept 6-8: vs. Valdosta (10-9)
Sept 9-12: vs. Texas (11-4)
Sept 13-15: @ Atlanta (15-4)

Valdosta
Sept 1: @ Baltimore (17-4)
Sept 3-5: @ Rio Grande (7-8)
Sept 6-8: @ Brooklyn (9-10)
Sept 9-12: vs. Rio Grande (7-8)
Sept 13-15: vs. New York (11-8)

New York
Sept 1: @ Texas (13-8)
Sept 3-5: vs. Toronto (11-4)
Sept 6-8: vs. Atlanta (7-12)
Sept 9-12: @ Toronto (11-4)
Sept 13-15: @ Valdosta (8-11)

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

DOWN THE STRETCH
(September 1-15)
(record against team)
COMPTON
Sept 1: vs. Boston (17-4)
Sept 2-4: vs. Seattle (10-5)
Sept 6-8: @ Ann Arbor (10-9)
Sept 9-12: @ Seattle (10-5)
Sept 13-15: vs. Chicago (14-5)

BOSTON
Sept 1: vs. Compton (4-17)
Sept 2-4: @ Ann Arbor (6-9)
Sept 6-8: @ Colorado (13-6)
Sept 9-12: vs. Ann Arbor (6-9)
Sept 13-15: vs. El Paso (14-5)

HARTFORD
Sept 1: vs. Seattle (13-8)
Sept 3-5: @ El Paso (8-7)
Sept 6-8: @ Chicago (12-10)
Sept 9-12: vs. El Paso (8-7)
Sept 13-15: vs. Ann Arbor (9-10)

ANN ARBOR
Sept 1: vs. Colorado (9-12)
Sept 2-4: vs. Boston (9-6)
Sept 6-8: vs. Compton (9-10)
Sept 9-12: @ Boston (9-6)
Sept 13-15: @ Hartford (10-9)
Old 08-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #53
JeeberD
General Manager

Damn. I bit of a disappointment to be where we are after a strong start to the season...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've uploaded a stage file dated September 1, 1969. You can check out how your team did or is doing. I'll sim the rest of the season later on.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #55
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I predict that my team is going to get older and older and after a strong run the first half of the season (just like last year), I will tail off and end up second or third again (just like last year again)

I think you can say I pretty much nailed this one?
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #56
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. looking through my team, I honestly don't really see much of anything that I really wish I had done differently with my lineup. Really only one player on the roster that had a strongly negative VORP (Technically two, but my worst VORP player is a starting pitcher that went 13-3 with a 4.09 ERA which I honestly can't complain about at all).

My entire lineup has a .744 OPS or better (including bench players).. we are first in the CL in almost all offensive categories and 2nd in almost all pitching categories.. the only really glaring weakness to me is that my team resembles the 1985 st.louis cardinals minus Jack Clark.

After looking it all over, if I don't win the pennant, I really don't know what else I could have done and will just have to give Brooklyn their just due as they just have been up to this point an incredible team.

One other note, 2B Ken Connolly whom I couldn't find anyone interested in trading for him during the offseason, only hit .344 this season with an OPS over .900.. He will likely be once again on the trade block this offseason if there are teams that feel a young 2B with good speed and a .445 OBP might help their team out...

DC, I assume you aren't accepting any mid-sim roster imports from anyone correct? This file was just to let people see how their team has done? Or should I put in an export?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #57
muns
Pro Starter

Damn thats crazy....... can anyone tell me if there is a file due for tonight.... im back and overloaded and have no idea what im doing again
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #58
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Damn thats crazy....... can anyone tell me if there is a file due for tonight.... im back and overloaded and have no idea what im doing again

I just asked the same thing. I'm assuming there are no imports tonight since usually the entire season is simmed with your opening day lineups for good or bad. DC can confirm that for sure when he wakes up later.

Otherwise I assume tonight he'll finish the season sim (without new imports), and announce whom will be playing in the fool classic, which will be simmed sunday night.. So if I am correct, the next exports due are sunday evening for the teams entering the fool classic, and then Monday we'll be in the offseason again with a sim to re-sign potential free agents, and exports every night.

Welcome back! Your Hartford team is in the thick of things still it seems!
Old 08-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #59
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just asked the same thing. I'm assuming there are no imports tonight since usually the entire season is simmed with your opening day lineups for good or bad. DC can confirm that for sure when he wakes up later.

Otherwise I assume tonight he'll finish the season sim (without new imports), and announce whom will be playing in the fool classic, which will be simmed sunday night.. So if I am correct, the next exports due are sunday evening for the teams entering the fool classic, and then Monday we'll be in the offseason again with a sim to re-sign potential free agents, and exports every night.

Thanks for the reply Alan, im still catching up on all the reading ive missed for the last 2 seaons, and is gonna provide me with im sure a few hours of endless entertainment, as for Hartford, they seem to do better when im not around running them DC has the touch
Old 08-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #60
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I am sick to my stomach. What the hell happened to my team? They just seem bad all year from what I see. Santana is my SP in the All-Star game? Seriously, very little actually changed for me this year and I guess that was a bad decision somehow, I wait to see how. I don't mind not getting first, but a winning record for the defending champs wasn't too much to expect. Crap-a-roo.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #61
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

No exports from anyone, of course. I just uploaded that because I figured people might want to have a look at things. I've done this before at mid-season when people are watching sims along as I do them and I figure it's a nice way to see "What went wrong" or "what went right" while you're waiting for results. That's all.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:33 AM   #62
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Thank heaven for my two aces, as the rest of the starting rotation is pitching worse than last year, with both Luis Perez (feared/expected) and Raul Santos (not expected) doing significantly worse and possibly needing to be replaced next season.

Lineup is hitting well, but not quite scoring runs like we should be. We're only 6th in the RL in runs scored, despite being 4th in OPS and 2nd in average. We're not playing well against Compton which is keeping us from the pennant, although we're heading for another best record ever for us (we're at 80-60 right now, and finished with 84 wins last season for our best finish ever). We have to hope Compton falters while we continue our dominance over Colorado and El Paso and solve Ann Arbor to turn that 6-9 record around.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #63
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

All of this is correct. And yes, muns, if Hartford wins the RL this year, I want residuals. I made sure the ship didn't sink over there in your stead.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Reflecting now on the past a bit, it seems that it was a very good decision to break up that St. Louis juggernaut. Since they left the league in '65, there has not been a repeat FOOL Classic winner and new teams have arrived in the post-season each year. This season, if the current standings hold up, would add to that streak. Even with all of the changes and such that we underwent at different points in the league history, parity is still the theme of things.

That said, if a dynasty like that happened again, we'd ride with it. The only reason that team was broken up, is because they pre-dated the modern FOOL on these boards and barely any of the owners were around when the team got started and so, it seemed a little unfair to keep a team like that together for a decade or so to dominate, frustrate and bore the rest of the league. Especially when said team is owned by the commissioner. That's just not fun or fair.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #65
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

KEYS TO SUCCESS - COMPTON 1969
I really was worried about this team, but in January, just before spring training I realized that I needed to make a calculated decision to either 1) win with what we had or 2) give up and realize I'd made a bevy of poor decisions in regards to making blockbuster trades that simply failed us given our current situation.

But we had our bed and needed to lay in it. So I made a few choices that I thought might help us do something right.

First, I moved newly acquired VL player Ogai Yamazaki to shortstop. Truth be told, he's an awful player at the position defensively. But he's hitting .303 with 23 HRs in his rookie year, with 28 steals. Simply can't buy that kind of production at CostCo.

Next, I moved a perennial Triple-A player Travis Ross to second base. Another decision here was that I thought his bat could help us and even though he's struck out 128 times this year, he's still got a VORP of about 12 and that's better than the negative VORP guys that have been playing in that spot previously. Letting Nathan Adams go, in retrospect, was a poor decision. I didn't expect he'd rebound the way he has, but I felt that I needed to rid myself of his cap number and that the risk was too great to leave a bad player to produce poorly AND make too much money for an entire year.

Spring Training is really the best addition to this league, because it makes these position moves possible and allows you to otherwise utilize players that might go unused before.

That's FOOL strategy there, that doesn't work in other online leagues. In FOOL, there ARE no second chances until next year. So you need to be confidence in the team you have out there or if not, have guys out there who aren't making so much money that you'll regret leaving someone younger, hungrier and less expensive sitting out wasting their good years in Triple-A.

I've become the master at taking Triple-A guys no one else wanted and turning them into serviceable major leaguers. I don't know that we ever thought Henry McKinney would ever be the player he's turned into when I got him from New York in the William Kay deal. And while Sancho Lopez is a guy we could actually have used right now and that trade was on paper, a bad one, the thing that evens it out is that Kay didn't turn out to be that great, but McKinney and Lopez did, while the two prospects I sent to New York in addition to Lopez didn't pan out. So it turns into an even trade. That said, prospects are FAR more valuable in FOOL than in traditional leagues, it seems.

Because in another league, dealing a kid in Single-A and figuring he won't be up to hurt you in 4-5 years is fine. But in FOOL? He'll be terrorizing you as early as the following month, if not earlier and reminding you why trading him was a bad idea. So if you're gonna win within your win-window, then you'd better do it while minimizing the collaterial damage of letting players go.

The other thing I've thought about, is the fact that Compton is an expansion team in their 4th year and that all they came to this league with is some expansion players, a bunch of overpriced free agents and scraps left from the St. Louis organization which have all pretty much come and gone.

Their ascent to the near top of the league is pretty impressive given how many mistakes the organization has made on the way here and the real question that lies is, how long will this team hold up.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #66
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I guess a large drop off in offensive production is the main cause of Rio Grande's drop off. Tanaka has held strong, as have 2B Connor Daniels and my 'lesser offensive infielders' of David Conners and Ramiro Sanchez.

The problem has been a large drop in production from 1B Reilly, and I am pretty thankful I didn't lock him up for a large chunk of change before the season. I will probably let him walk now I am sad to say. RF Aguilera has had a drop off in numbers as well, but he will be staying around. Those are my 4 and 5 hitters, ouch.

A few of my bench players I brought in this year have disappointed as well. The pitching is not horrible as I feared, though the closer spot isn't real well this year as I moved Pagan out after a great season last year. He should have stayed. The pitching fell victim to the offense some I think. Chunky Medina is having a slightly down year overall, but nothing I worry about.

edit: Forgot to add in LF Juan Navarro, who had a strong rookie year coming over from the VL last year. He has stunk as well. Three big bats from last year that hit 4-6 explains a lot.

Last edited by Cringer : 08-02-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #67
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
KEYS TO SUCCESS - COMPTON 1969
I've become the master at taking Triple-A guys no one else wanted and turning them into serviceable major leaguers. I don't know that we ever thought Henry McKinney would ever be the player he's turned into when I got him from New York in the William Kay deal. And while Sancho Lopez is a guy we could actually have used right now and that trade was on paper, a bad one, the thing that evens it out is that Kay didn't turn out to be that great, but McKinney and Lopez did, while the two prospects I sent to New York in addition to Lopez didn't pan out. So it turns into an even trade. That said, prospects are FAR more valuable in FOOL than in traditional leagues, it seems.

I knew McKinney would be a great hitter, but he was blocked by Spindola in my team. I had to get something for him. I know you thought at the time that Kay was the main deal in that trade, but I knew it was McKinney and that's why I asked for Sancho in return. The prospects I didn't really expect to do much, but Sancho was the key in that trade for me.

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #68
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
I knew McKinney would be a great hitter, but he was blocked by Spindola in my team. I had to get something for him. I know you thought at the time that Kay was the main deal in that trade, but I knew it was McKinney and that's why I asked for Sancho in return. The prospects I didn't really expect to do much, but Sancho was the key in that trade for me.

Tell

Well it turned out to be a great trade for both of us, in terms of production from those two players.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #69
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1969 MINOR LEAGUE PLAYOFFS
I've finally streamlined all of the minor league affiliates so that their team IDs match their major league club, as well as streamlined their names, so that they almost always match the nickname of the major league club, so it's easier to identify them.

AAA: Grand Rapids Wolverines v. winner of one-game playoff between the Bridgeport Harpooners/Colorado Springs Rancheros

AA: Allston Settlers v. Trenton Harpooners (Trenton are looking for their fourth Double-A Series title in five years.)

A: Wilmington Harpooners v. Mexico City Roadrunners

SS-A: Lakewood Harpooners def. Quebec City Highlanders 3 games to 0

ROOKIE: Roundup Rancheros v. Little Rock Roadrunners

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #70
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck to the contenders. I have the feeling DC is gearing up for a great stretch of posting results down the stretch and I hate to miss it. I will have to try not to spoil things for myself when I get back home later tonight.

Off to the zoo and the beach.....
Old 08-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #71
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Good luck to the contenders. I have the feeling DC is gearing up for a great stretch of posting results down the stretch and I hate to miss it. I will have to try not to spoil things for myself when I get back home later tonight.

Off to the zoo and the beach.....

I might go out and do some stuff and try to save the rest of the season for tonight when folks can check in and watch, I enjoy that more. We wait for our seasons all week, the least I can do is sorta stretch it out and savour it when possible.

That's why I've been doing a million other things to distract myself from actually bothering with playing out the games.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #72
Tellistto
College Prospect

Wow, Spindola tanked this season. Really bad. Will be interesting to see what his ratings do this offseason, but damn he's only 27 and I really want him to last into his mid 30's on the New York team. Bleh I say!

Tell
Old 08-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #73
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Wow, Spindola tanked this season. Really bad. Will be interesting to see what his ratings do this offseason, but damn he's only 27 and I really want him to last into his mid 30's on the New York team. Bleh I say!

Tell

Well one bad season might not matter much. Nathan Adams had two meh seasons with me in Compton, went back to Brooklyn and now he's almost back to normal. Trust me, I never saw THAT coming. So...it could be just a down year. Another guy who I thought would fall off this year and didn't was Ben Harris of Baltimore. All historical data pointed to him falling off the map this year, but he didn't. And it's not even like that team is all that good.

So...we could finally be at a point where our players won't die off as quickly as they used to and if so, I'm delighted and pleased to see that.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #74
Tellistto
College Prospect

Well, looking at Spindola's splits, he's picked up his hitting and power/run production in the last month of the season, but leading up to that his previous two months he posted sub .221 averages, with woeful power numbers. Hopefully this last month of the season sees him keep up his hitting and his season doesn't end up being a complete disaster. 15 rbi to 1000, hopefully that's a done deal this season.

Tanaka is 15 away as well. Kinda wish I still had him, but Jenkins is proving a good replacement so far, and only 22 years old.

Tell
Old 08-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #75
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well, looking at Spindola's splits, he's picked up his hitting and power/run production in the last month of the season, but leading up to that his previous two months he posted sub .221 averages, with woeful power numbers. Hopefully this last month of the season sees him keep up his hitting and his season doesn't end up being a complete disaster. 15 rbi to 1000, hopefully that's a done deal this season.

Tanaka is 15 away as well. Kinda wish I still had him, but Jenkins is proving a good replacement so far, and only 22 years old.

Tell

Unless he spends another decade in Rio Grande, we'll always know of him as a Highlander. He's the first guy to go to FA and actually maintain his talent with no noticeable dropoff and it was good to see him go to a team that really could 1) use him and 2) wasn't one of the usual suspects.

Outfield talent in this league isn't hard to get your hands on, so...Spindola might be toast or he might hang around for a few more years. Either way, he was the Ken Griffey of this league, young guy who burst onto the scene and was clearly the best player in the league during first few seasons. He won't be forgotten either way.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #76
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, downloading the stage file right now. I will be interested to see what happened. Was it bad years from people? Or is the rest of the league catching up?

I have a feeling it will be an interesting offseason in Colorado, because I still don't have enough cap room to do anything, which means I have to trade if I want to amke changes to the team.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #77
Tellistto
College Prospect

Really impressed with what Fred Lindsay did this year after getting kicked off the Highlander team in favor of Sancho Lopez. Came out and had a career year. Way to go, Fred!

Tell
Old 08-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #78
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, found some disturbing things in the stage file.

Several teams submitted contracts to free agents on Opening Day, and when they signed, they were allowed to remain on the big league roster for an entire month. If teams left spots open for them, that's one thing, but if they didn't, they shouldn't be allowed to offer them major league contracts. Major league contracts go onto the big club. If you sign them to minor league contracts and they go to a minor league club you have saved a roster spot for, that should be fine.

As an example (there may be others, not picking on Alan, he just happened toi sign one guy I was in particular interested in), Valdosta signed a prospect pitcher Nakamuri to a one year, $190K deal and he stayed on Valdosta's already full ML roster for all of April. So Valdosta carried 26 men that month before DC demoted him at the end of the month.

I am guessing others did this as well. If I knew I could get away with this, maybe I don't just offer Nakamuri a MLC like a good little boy.

And, a little more disturbing...

DC, why did you promote a pitcher to your team on June 1, and demote another?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #79
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Correction. Even more disturbing.

Compton's first promotion in June didn't do very well, and in July he was demoted again. A third pitcher was brought up, and while he didn't light the world on fire, he did much better than the first two pitchers.

Check out Compton players Jose Barajas, Carlos Medina and Brian Taylor.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-02-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #80
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hmm, found some disturbing things in the stage file.

Several teams submitted contracts to free agents on Opening Day, and when they signed, they were allowed to remain on the big league roster for an entire month. If teams left spots open for them, that's one thing, but if they didn't, they shouldn't be allowed to offer them major league contracts. Major league contracts go onto the big club. If you sign them to minor league contracts and they go to a minor league club you have saved a roster spot for, that should be fine.

As an example (there may be others, not picking on Alan, he just happened toi sign one guy I was in particular interested in), Valdosta signed a prospect pitcher Nakamuri to a one year, $190K deal and he stayed on Valdosta's already full ML roster for all of April. So Valdosta carried 26 men that month before DC demoted him at the end of the month.

I am guessing others did this as well. If I knew I could get away with this, maybe I don't just offer Nakamuri a MLC like a good little boy.

And, a little more disturbing...

DC, why did you promote a pitcher to your team on June 1, and demote another?

Nakamuri was signed and was on DFA, not on the major league roster and the team didn't carry 26 players -- game won't allow that during the season.

I put him on their Triple-A team once the sim alerted me that he'd signed. Sometimes, the game takes a while to sign those guys, so it doesn't happen a fortnight after the offer is made, even if it's made sometime in March.

Toronto had players that they signed and left space open for them.

I let the AI control my roster moves during the season including player promotions and demotions. Moves were made in June and in July, too.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #81
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Correction. Even more disturbing.

Compton's first promotion in June didn't do very well, and in July he was demoted again. A third pitcher was brought up, and while he didn't light the world on fire, he did much better than the first two pitchers.

Check out Compton players Jose Barajas, Carlos Medina and Brian Taylor.

I've been letting the AI manage my player moves since last year. I prefer it that way, because I noticed in my solo league that if a player isn't doing well, the AI will make subtle changes, especially if you work with the player preferences and tell the game who you don't want moved into certain spots, etc. It happened once or twice last year, too where a guy was brought up and swapped with another guy during mid-season, ironically a middle reliever. I think it was Medina again then too. I don't remember tho.

Nothing sinister here.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #82
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, my assumption all along when everyone was throwing out millions and millions for minor league players a while back, that there wasn't any rule that said anyone with a Major league contract had to be on the major league roster. If there is a rule as such, please let me know and I won't do that anymore, but I know for a fact that there are dozens and dozens of other cases around the league for players I was outbid on.

I assume with the salary cap, people are free to spend more money on minor league players if they want, but it shows up on your financial report and thus would impact you getting under the cap to do so.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #83
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've been letting the AI manage my player moves since last year. I prefer it that way, because I noticed in my solo league that if a player isn't doing well, the AI will make subtle changes, especially if you work with the player preferences and tell the game who you don't want moved into certain spots, etc. It happened once or twice last year, too where a guy was brought up and swapped with another guy during mid-season, ironically a middle reliever. I think it was Medina again then too. I don't remember tho.

Nothing sinister here.

I stopped doing that when the AI started releasing my players that I didn't want released.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #84
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nakamuri was signed and was on DFA, not on the major league roster and the team didn't carry 26 players -- game won't allow that during the season.

I put him on their Triple-A team once the sim alerted me that he'd signed. Sometimes, the game takes a while to sign those guys, so it doesn't happen a fortnight after the offer is made, even if it's made sometime in March.

Toronto had players that they signed and left space open for them.

I let the AI control my roster moves during the season including player promotions and demotions. Moves were made in June and in July, too.

Cool, DFA works. Glad that isn't a loophole. I'll start offering major league contracts.

As for the second, I think you should not be allowing the AI to do anything to your team. We don't have that right, so neither should you.

Also, if that's what you're saying happened there, then I am fine with it so long as we don't allow it in the future. That said, both pairs of demotions/promotions happened on "stop" dates where you posted the standings. June 1 and July 1.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #85
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nothing sinister here.

If the AI makes subtle changes to the rest of our rosters when we're going through, it should be allowed to make them to you as well. No one should be on AI here during the season (or everyone should--we should all be the same, so that our own actions with the roster and lineups and what not are what is being judged, and all would be affected by "game effects" the same).

Old 08-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #86
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Yeah, my assumption all along when everyone was throwing out millions and millions for minor league players a while back, that there wasn't any rule that said anyone with a Major league contract had to be on the major league roster. If there is a rule as such, please let me know and I won't do that anymore, but I know for a fact that there are dozens and dozens of other cases around the league for players I was outbid on.

I assume with the salary cap, people are free to spend more money on minor league players if they want, but it shows up on your financial report and thus would impact you getting under the cap to do so.

There is no rule on it. Minor league players signed to major league deals still get counted against the cap, so there isn't a loophole. I think Chief's problem is people signing guys on say, the Friday before the weekend sim, knowing that they'll get placed on the roster. But there isn't any trick here. If you start the year with 24 guys, you'll end it with 24 guys. I won't go putting a guy signed after the Friday sim on a major league roster, since your lineups, etc., should be set already, unless you specifically tell me that you did it for that reason and Toronto's new owner (a coworker of mine, incidentally) told me that he was gonna do that, so...I knew to move Brewer to the major league roster because he had a spot open for him.

Notice however, that Compton only has 24 players on the roster. Because I started the year that way and didn't even realize it until just now when I went to look.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #87
Tellistto
College Prospect

The signing/releasing of players has been seperated from the promotions/demotions side of things in both majors and minors, Alan.

Tell
Old 08-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #88
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
If the AI makes subtle changes to the rest of our rosters when we're going through, it should be allowed to make them to you as well. No one should be on AI here during the season (or everyone should--we should all be the same, so that our own actions with the roster and lineups and what not are what is being judged, and all would be affected by "game effects" the same).

Fair enough. I'll set my manager settings to be human controlled and we'll ensure any new owners are set the same way, since no existing owners seem to do it (I think Chicago does for its minor leagues, apparently.) I don't have with the ability to release players or sign extensions or anything for mine.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #89
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Naw, my thinking was that, in my experience, major league contracts automatically go onto the major league roster to start. Usually we have a sim to move players around, so that they are not on a particular roster or causing any roster max violations, but we can't do that with the Opening Day sim. But I believe DC is right--they go straight to DFA.

In any case, I am fine with all that even if it did go to the majors, so long as there is a hole on the designated roster for the player (as apparently Toronto did).

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-02-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #90
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Cool, DFA works. Glad that isn't a loophole. I'll start offering major league contracts.

As for the second, I think you should not be allowing the AI to do anything to your team. We don't have that right, so neither should you.

Also, if that's what you're saying happened there, then I am fine with it so long as we don't allow it in the future. That said, both pairs of demotions/promotions happened on "stop" dates where you posted the standings. June 1 and July 1.

Actually, you do have that right. You can set your manager settings in-game to have the AI control your roster moves, demotions/promotions or any other tasks you wants. It's not some special commish power that I have.

In game, it's Manager ---> Options to get to the screen I'm talking about.

But your point is well taken nonetheless.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-02-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:27 PM   #91
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, you do have that right. You can set your manager settings in-game to have the AI control your roster moves, demotions/promotions or any other tasks you wants. It's not some special commish power that I have.

In game, it's Manager ---> Options to get to the screen I'm talking about.

But your point is well taken nonetheless.

I am fine with having AI settings on lineups and stuff. But players moves from roster to roster or on/off the roster, I don't think we should allow that. That's the whole point of the league.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:28 PM   #92
Tellistto
College Prospect

Perhaps we need the 40-man roster back and use it to control major league contracts in the minor leagues?

Tell
Old 08-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #93
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Perhaps we need the 40-man roster back and use it to control major league contracts in the minor leagues?

Tell

What purpose would it serve? I only turned it off, because I didn't know if it was particularly useful since we don't use waivers and now we have arbitration and stuff.

Or would we institute a Rule 5 draft too?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #94
Tellistto
College Prospect

Perhaps I'm wrong, but does not the game force anyone with a major league contract to be on the 40-man roster if it's in use?

Doesn't bother me either way, if people want that number to count against the salary cap they can give out all the major league contracts they want to. I don't feel a need for waivers or a rule 5 draft, however.

Tell
Old 08-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #95
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but does not the game force anyone with a major league contract to be on the 40-man roster if it's in use?

Doesn't bother me either way, if people want that number to count against the salary cap they can give out all the major league contracts they want to. I don't feel a need for waivers or a rule 5 draft, however.

Tell

Oh right, that makes sense now. I think the game does indeed do that. I don't know if it matters for our purposes, since we don't do September callups, that's why I didn't do it. All major league contracts, even those of players in the minors, count towards team payroll in our league at present, so the signings aren't loopholes. The way I see if, if someone wants to pay a guy who won't play for an entire year to sit in the minors, that's their issue, so long as they have the cap room.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #96
muns
Pro Starter

Im good with it. Ive been trying to get young guys to sign with mlb contracts and having them count against the cap, and leaving them in the minors..... I thought thats what we are supposed to be doing, since that was part of the stratagy with spending on young guys vs spending on old guys
Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #97
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, my issue there was with roster violations, not with sal cap issues. If the roster violations aren't happening, I'm not concerned with it. Like you, if a guy wants to pay a player to sit in his minors all year, power to him.

Definitely don't want to see a 40 Man or Rule V. It's enough work as it is now, I think.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #98
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

September 1, 1969
RESULTS (Home team listed second)
Valdosta 8, Baltimore 6
Boston 4, Compton 3
Brooklyn 3, Rio Grande 4 (14 innings)
Colorado 3, Ann Arbor 5
New York 4, Texas 3 (11 innings)
El Paso 1, Chicago 2
Atlanta 2, Toronto 5
Seattle 3, Hartford 1

Players of the Day
Andres Aguilera, Rio Grande
3 for 7 with 2 HR, 3 RBi in a 4-3 win over Brooklyn

John MacDonald, Boston
8 IP, 4 hits, 1 earned 1 walk and 11 strikeouts in a 4-3 win over Compton

Lawrence Wyatt, Valdosta
4 for 4 with a double and a HR in a 8-6 win over Baltimore

Apparently Wyatt heard that Alan T doesn't think he's a marquee player. So he banged out a performance that helped the team pull within 3 games of Brooklyn in the CL pennant race.

STANDINGS AS OF SEPTEMBER 2, 1969
CL PENNANT RACE
Brooklyn (89-52) -- (Magic Number: 11)
Valdosta (86-55) 3 GB
New York (84-57) 5 GB

RL PENNANT RACE
Compton (87-54) -- (Magic number: 9)
Hartford (82-59) 5 GB
Ann Arbor (81-60) 7 GB
Boston (81-60) 7 GB

Streaking!
Valdosta is 8-2 in their last 10, Boston, Compton and Hartford have both won seven of their last 10 games.

Hot hitters right now include Tom Campbell of Ann Arbor (.457 in his last 12 games), Fred Lindsay (.455 in his last 7 games) and Ed Manning (.435 in last 7 games) of Atlanta. Compton has a hot threesome of its own, too. Mel Brooks is hitting .455 in his last seven games, Larry Hobbs is hitting .375 with 5 HRs and 12 RBI in his last 10 games and Bill Woods is hitting .476 with 4 HRs and 6 RBI in his last 7 games.

Lawrence Wyatt of Valdosta is hitting .550 with 3 HRs and 7 RBI in his last 8 games. Roberto Pagan is hitting .483 over the past 9 games.

On the pitching side, Brooklyn's Walt Withcombe has a 3-1 record with a 1.40 ERA and 18 saves in his last 25 appearanes. Reliever Tomiji Okdo has 1 save and a microscopic ERA of 0.47 in his last 23 games.

Valdosta's pitching might save them at the end of the day. Gabriel Prado is bringing his best stuff down the stretch, sporting a 5-1 record with a 1.32 ERA in his last seven starts.

Boston's Pat Maddox is 3-1 with a 1.07 ERA in his last five starts.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #99
muns
Pro Starter

Wow, good stuff DC!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #100
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

SEPTEMBER 2, 1969
A light day on the schedule today. The RL race has two matches on tap, with league leading Compton facing off against Seattle and in the other game of the day in the RL, Boston will take on Ann Arbor.

The lone CL game of the day is a match against Atlanta at Baltimore.