Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #101
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

So they now have two players, each taking up nearly 1/4 of the salary cap.
graygoose12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #102
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

And $45 million in "incentives" opens up another can of worms.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #103
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoose12 View Post
And $45 million in "incentives" opens up another can of worms.

Meh, the game 1) doesn't measure them as particularly important in this version of OOTP, as opposed to previous ones and 2) we're talking $7.5 million a year in incentives, and that's if he were to win the MVP and to have the requisite number of plate appearances. Times that by the six year deal and hence the gargantuan number.

Not a big deal. Just makes it sound like more ambitious of a contract. Which it is. Even without the incentives, it's still a bold contract.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-11-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #104
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The start of free agency file is 19.22 MB and is up now.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #105
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Talk About Your Game 7 Performances - OOTP Developments Forums
Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #106
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

So how do bonuses count against the cap?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #107
muns
Pro Starter

Well if i ever made the damn thing

Last edited by muns : 08-11-2008 at 09:41 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #108
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I don't believe they do count against the cap, but in my testing the Free agent puts virtually zero weight on them in deciding on an offer either. For instance a deal for 1 year 1 million dollars and 10 million of incentives vs a deal for 1 year, 2 million dollars and 0 incentives almost always seems to have the player go for the deal without incentives.

Perhaps there is some calculation inside the game where the player determines how realistic the expectation of them meeting that condition for the incentive or something though, but my experience is that it doesn't seem to do alot unless the player specifically asks for the incentive in the deal. Perhaps it is enough to put one offer over the edge when comparing two otherwise like offers though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #109
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

They don't. They come out of your cash and are charged as player expenses. They're not that big a factor in this game, it's just bluster. I bet if you did a study, 95% of the time, players didn't even end up meeting the threshold for a bonus.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-11-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #110
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I don't believe they do count against the cap, but in my testing the Free agent puts virtually zero weight on them in deciding on an offer either. For instance a deal for 1 year 1 million dollars and 10 million of incentives vs a deal for 1 year, 2 million dollars and 0 incentives almost always seems to have the player go for the deal without incentives.

Perhaps there is some calculation inside the game where the player determines how realistic the expectation of them meeting that condition for the incentive or something though, but my experience is that it doesn't seem to do alot unless the player specifically asks for the incentive in the deal. Perhaps it is enough to put one offer over the edge when comparing two otherwise like offers though.

Yup. This changed because in past versions of the game, the incentives skewed things, so in beta it was changed to make it more "realistic" and so it's been diminished in its weight significantly.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #111
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Well if i ever made the damn thing

You were supposed to read my last post, which was a subtle -- ok, not so subtle -- plug for FOOL. Then you hijack the post and talk about how awesome FOOL is. Doh.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #112
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

I understand that they don't count against the cap, but maybe they should.

I have not done any testing, and I have never really even tried using bonuses in solo play, but what is to prevent a team from offering very attainable bonuses in all extensions and fa offers, essentially increasing their cap.

Again I am not trying to cause problems, but more trying to prevent problems in the future.

Last edited by graygoose12 : 08-11-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #113
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I have not done any testing, and I have never really even tried using bonuses in solo play, but what is to prevent a team from offering very attainable bonuses in all extensions and fa offers, essentially increasing their cap.

Again I am not trying to cause problems, but more trying to prevent problems in the future.

I've done the testing in solo play in the past two versions as a beta and as a player, it won't happen. And even if it does, they 1) have to have the cash to pay it out and 2) players won't sign for incentives. They sign for real money and for the terms they outline.

So it's not worth codifying rules against it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #114
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I guess the point I was making is that from testing I have the belief that these incentives usually have next to no effect on the contract offer at all, and don't really give any advantage to the team offering them (and in some cases in the wrong situation could be quite a disadvantage). So it doesn't seem like a big enough deal to me to really make any changes.

In the case of this Shortstop tonight, with the offer he gave, I bet you he could have given the same offer without any incentives and still have gotten him to sign. I rarely see any case in OOTP9 where the incentive convinced some Free agent to sign elsewhere.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #115
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm fine with that. Like I said I have done no testing at all, and totally trust your judgment.

I also don't want more rules. With our financials the way they are though, with everybody having a good amount of cash, and a salary cap so low, people may do tricky things to get around the cap.

But I will drop it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #116
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

One more question, how do a lot of these players have offers that they are favoring? I did not see these players in the FA pool. Did I miss a stage?? I know the SS was there last night.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #117
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One more question, how do a lot of these players have offers that they are favoring? I did not see these players in the FA pool. Did I miss a stage?? I know the SS was there last night.

AI teams offered them contracts I am guessing?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #118
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Yea, forgot about that.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #119
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
AI teams offered them contracts I am guessing?

+1

They are alive and well, those AI buggers. You can usually tell whether they favor your offer based on 1) emails indicating they favor your offer or 2) being able to look on the contract offers page. But since, in this case, we sim faster than people are able to use the 2), then really...you won't know you were in the lead, since all of the deals come in around the same time, the player can evaluate them based on that, though the AI teams are still bidding when we're not, I might need to put the kibosh on that somehow. Like take the AI control away when we're simming to ensure they don't get an unfair advantage.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:09 AM   #120
ekcut
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
FARM SYSTEM REPORT
Code:
Minor League Systems # Team Points Top 5 Prospects 1st Baltimore Terrapins 212 3B A. Summers (3rd), C M. Shepherd (14th), 2B G. Moore (16th), P S. Godbout (19th), C K. Haazens (42nd) 2nd Ann Arbor Wolverines 195 C J. Ramos (10th), LF L. Davis (23rd), CF T. Mizutani (28th), LF P. Rosales (30th), LF K. Kawamura (35th) 3rd New York Highlanders 154 3B T. Shimizu (18th), C R. Daniels (21st), 1B H. Miranda (29th), SS A. Reyes (32nd), 2B B. Evans (34th) 4th Columbus Crusaders 142 CF T. Fournier (1st), CF C. Wagner (8th), P J. López (24th), LF J. Isla (26th), C H. Leyte (91st) 5th Boston Settlers 141 P T. Tyler (6th), P V. González (12th), CF R. Lord (20th), 3B J. Saldaña (44th), RF J. Shoemaker (65th) 6th Compton Brothers 139 P F. Flores (11th), CF C. Franco (25th), P L. Vázquez (33rd), CF I. Kobayashi (36th), P J. Colón (49th) 7th Texas Copperheads 105 C L. Palmer (4th), CF N. Curtis (5th), SS S. Coffey (53rd), SS J. Miller (86th) 8th Hartford Harpooners 90 P D. Adams (7th), 3B Y. Tsou (31st), 3B I. Costa (54th), 2B T. Jones (70th), P J. Franco (80th) 9th Colorado Rancheros 78 P I. Beens (2nd), SS K. Shaffer (27th), P R. Mathews (94th), LF B. Skinner (96th) 10th Brooklyn Brownstones 72 LF E. Cronie (13th), P F. García (22nd), P K. Pak (63rd), P W. McLellan (93rd), P J. Sullivan (98th) 11th Valdosta Peanuts 63 SS M. Taylor (15th), RF P. Catron (47th), 2B F. Gutiérrez (72nd), P M. Rodríguez (76th), CF D. Beck (92nd) 12th Quad City Thunderstorms 54 1B L. Mendoza (17th), RF J. Clark (39th), C D. Johnson (61st) 13th El Paso Alligators 52 CF D. Thompson (9th), 2B J. Pérez (69th), P T. Mercado (74th) 14th Rio Grande Roadrunners 47 RF F. Carrillo (37th), 2B R. Cruz (38th), LF D. O'Cleary (51st) 15th Atlanta Firecrackers 39 P C. Macías (43rd), P P. Ortíz (48th), 2B G. O'Healy (73rd), SS D. Simms (89th) 16th Toronto Atlantics 22 CF R. Logan (41st), P L. Alcock (88th), P M. Yang (90th)

Well...I guess that is a small victory to be proud of :/

When i started I had few stars and 0 prospects in the Top 100....now I have few stars and a ton of prospects in the Top 100. Baby steps...baby steps. Another long year in baltimore though....poor FA pool and only modest development on the ML level.

FOOL- Leduc Bullets
ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #121
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
wow is what comes to mind

Holy cow you said it. Very good player. But not that good. Heck, no one currently in the league is that good.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #122
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
+1

They are alive and well, those AI buggers. You can usually tell whether they favor your offer based on 1) emails indicating they favor your offer or 2) being able to look on the contract offers page. But since, in this case, we sim faster than people are able to use the 2), then really...you won't know you were in the lead, since all of the deals come in around the same time, the player can evaluate them based on that, though the AI teams are still bidding when we're not, I might need to put the kibosh on that somehow. Like take the AI control away when we're simming to ensure they don't get an unfair advantage.

Probably need to let the AI teams have control on the days we have control and then turn it off. (like give them 1-3 days of control) at the start of the sim just like us and then turn it off as well. Otherwise they will be able to bid up offers they tail behind on mid-sim

Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #123
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Just wondering, if i was to buy out a player by releasing him, would this salary go towards my cap? Like if a player has 3 years left and its 30m to release him will i take a 30m cap hit or just lose the money in my balance?
JimmyOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:38 AM   #124
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post
Just wondering, if i was to buy out a player by releasing him, would this salary go towards my cap? Like if a player has 3 years left and its 30m to release him will i take a 30m cap hit or just lose the money in my balance?

You'd lose the money off of your cash balance. The reason you'd do this is precisely to save cap room.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #125
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOOTP View Post

Cutting players frees up your cap space. You will be charged the remainder of their contract as player expenses and it will be paid out of pocket.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #126
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I made the deal with Yamasuki basically because he is the type of player that I am fairly positive will flourish in my ball park and there were not really any other FA's I wanted to sign. I think in the long run this deal will work out extremly well for the brownstones.

As for the insentives I think players should be justly awarded for their on-field performance if they meet certain expectations and I am not the only one who has used them. That said how would we ever be able to implement them against the cap since they may or may not even reach the incentive?
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #127
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That said how would we ever be able to implement them against the cap since they may or may not even reach the incentive?

It won't happen. It's not enough of an issue to legislate against and it doesn't affect where players sign unless it's really close and even still, they are a legit way to entice a player to sign with you. So I'm all for them.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-12-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #128
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

And away we go....free agency is upon us! Let's see what Santa FOOL has brought in.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM   #129
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Two notable extensions to mention, Compton inked reliever Ray Howe to a seven year extension worth $37 million and 1B Mel Brooks to a seven year extension worth $48.7 million. Then two days later, Jorge Moya signed a seven year extension worth $47.7 million, meaning those guys will either have long careers in Compton or he'll be trading or releasing them somewhere before those deals end.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #130
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Carlos Aguilar (SEA) signed a four-year deal worth $14.1 million with Atlanta
Ken Connolly (VAL) signed a two-year deal worth $6 million with Toronto
Roger Mathews (COL) signed a two-year deal worth $1.8 million with Compton
Orlando Diaz (TOR) signed a 2 year deal worth $5 million with Hartford
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #131
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

RF Clarence Gilliam (TEX) signed a 6-year deal worth $89.4 million with Colorado
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #132
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Cris Segura (VAL) signed a 4-year deal worth $36.9 million with New York
Christian Larsen (COL) signed a 5-year deal worth $43.3 million with Quad City
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #133
graygoose12
H.S. Freshman Team

Wow, Gilliam got paid big money.

Without looking at the details, nearly as much as Yamazaki.

Last edited by graygoose12 : 08-12-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #134
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Preparing the file now. Dated December 2, 1970. Draft list gets revealed tomorrow night, along with simming to the start of the pre-season.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #135
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Wow, Gilliam got paid big money.

Yeah, what I can't tell if that was a preemptive offer to ensure they stay in contention, a price to drive the price up for him or what it was. But clearly, he wanted him. So that'll be interesting to see how that plays out in their overall strategy. A bold move, to be sure for Colorado.

It's been a relatively quiet year in the RL short of what Hartford is doing with their rebuilding. The champs of the RL for two years in a row are quietly tinkering about over there, Boston is lurking in the shadows and Ann Arbor just does what they do up there...lock and reload.

Hard to say who the favorite is.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #136
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is bigger than I intended, because I didn't turn off the box scores, etc., so it's loading all of that junk again and so it's a 50MB file. My bad. We'll wait and I'll let you know when it's online.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #137
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

And Rio Grande in the CL is sitting tight with everyone from last year locked up. The only changes will be needing to bring up a MR, and maybe a new OF to sit on the bench as the young guy Mark Nelson needs to go back to AAA where he will hopefully get over the hump and be able to do better in the majors after that.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #138
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Valdosta for the most part sat put for two years in a row and I would have been happy to do so again, but the cap finally bit me in the butt. Enough years of my buying time with salary finally meant I had to pay the reaper this year.

I lost my second best hitter from last year (at a difficult spot to get a quality hitter) in Segura. I lost my 1B from last year and best overall pinch hitter in Connolly. And I felt forced to trade the ace of my staff in Prado as I could not find any other deal to make salary cap space. I had a few people offer to take a very good relief pitcher from me if I threw in prospects, but I turned all of those down.

Oneil, whom we got back for Prado + prospects is no slouch, but he won't carry my staff like Prado was able to. The new look Peanuts will have a youngster playing catcher and 1B this year as well. The good news for this deal for Valdosta is the trade means no longer having to dismantle the bullpen which was one of the better ones in the league the past few years.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #139
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #140
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
And Rio Grande in the CL is sitting tight with everyone from last year locked up. The only changes will be needing to bring up a MR, and maybe a new OF to sit on the bench as the young guy Mark Nelson needs to go back to AAA where he will hopefully get over the hump and be able to do better in the majors after that.

I jinxed myself as I end up making a trade a short time later. Nice.

Looks like I will have at least one new SP, and my open MR slot is now filled. A shake up at 3B is a surprise to the fans as well with the trade for 31 year old Warren Lewis from Hartford. We in Rio Grande do not fear the over 30 guys.

Also, I may end up bringing up not just one, but 2 youngsters to fill SP roles. I had forgotten I was looking into finally moving on from Billy Martin from being our #5 guy. He finally had a bad enough year last season to make me think about this.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #141
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think we're finally reaching a point where it's okay to be over 30 in FOOL. So long as you're a star. lol
Old 08-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #142
JimmyOOTP
Mascot

Quote:
Two notable extensions to mention, Compton inked reliever Ray Howe to a seven year extension worth $37 million and 1B Mel Brooks to a seven year extension worth $48.7 million. Then two days later, Jorge Moya signed a seven year extension worth $47.7 million, meaning those guys will either have long careers in Compton or he'll be trading or releasing them somewhere before those deals end.

Compton is very please to have sign 3 great players to the club for the next 7 years. All 3 players have shown the desire to win and have come at a price we just couldn't refuse. With these signings and our minor league system, we believe we will now be competitors for years to come.
JimmyOOTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #143
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think we're finally reaching a point where it's okay to be over 30 in FOOL. So long as you're a star. lol

I've had pretty much multiple 30+ year olds for years and years!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #144
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I've had pretty much multiple 30+ year olds for years and years!

And it's paid off. So maybe you're teaching us something...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #145
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
And it's paid off. So maybe you're teaching us something...

isnt that the truth
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #146
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

All I know is, when I need to have a fire sale, I'm contracting duties to muns. He does not mess around. When he says he's having a fire sale, he means it. And he gets good value on the buck.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #147
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Processing the trades that happened and I'll get up a new file. People who didn't make deals don't have to download it, as the one you have will work fine for you. But for those who did, you'll want to. I'll let you know when that's all done.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #148
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I can't wait to see what Hartford's fan interest is in the new file!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #149
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I can't wait to see what Hartford's fan interest is in the new file!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #150
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

wow that wasnt as bad as I thought it was gonna be.... Still hurts though